Coaching Searches 2021

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: Coaching Searches 2021

Post by zonagrad »

If I'm a Carolina fan, I'd be very, very unhappy and disappointed if Stackhouse got the nod. I would think they could do a lot better in Chapel Hill. Vandy has done nothing under Stackhouse.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:23 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:58 pmI'd be fine with a quiet "you interested?" call to Stevens. If he doesn't say yes immediately, you move on.
What if he says, "Can we talk about this again in a month?" Probably have to move on, but whoooo, that'd be tough to say no thanks and then move on.
I think you've gotta move on. He's good, but you can't drag a search out like that when you clearly have Davis and Miller.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

UNC has to put out feelers to guys like Stevens and Donovan. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. It's not like Miller or Davis are going to turn down the job because they weren't the school's first choice. If I'm UNC, I'd prefer Wes Miller over Davis. Can't replace head coaching experience, and Davis has none. And continuity in the college game is all but meaningless. This makes Miller the better choice, and tell Davis to find his own program. Heck, he could take over at UNCG, and learn the ropes as the head guy. That's just my $.02.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:22 pm UNC has to put out feelers to guys like Stevens and Donovan. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. It's not like Miller or Davis are going to turn down the job because they weren't the school's first choice. If I'm UNC, I'd prefer Wes Miller over Davis. Can't replace head coaching experience, and Davis has none. And continuity in the college game is all but meaningless. This makes Miller the better choice, and tell Davis to find his own program. Heck, he could take over at UNCG, and learn the ropes as the head guy. That's just my $.02.
Ehh, I'm of the opposite opinion on Davis vs Miller. Davis has been groomed for years. Miller has done pretty well at Greensboro, but he's ultimately made 2 NCAA tournaments in 10 years of coaching. He has 4 regular season titles...but nothing about that says to me that a blue blood has to have it.

I'd put him #2 on their realistic list due to youth and how Greensboro has developed lately, but Davis is relatively young as well, knows UNC inside and out, has the right recruiting connections and it's never been a better time to be an alum who's never been a HC. It's a Juwanderful time to have that resume.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:43 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:22 pm UNC has to put out feelers to guys like Stevens and Donovan. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. It's not like Miller or Davis are going to turn down the job because they weren't the school's first choice. If I'm UNC, I'd prefer Wes Miller over Davis. Can't replace head coaching experience, and Davis has none. And continuity in the college game is all but meaningless. This makes Miller the better choice, and tell Davis to find his own program. Heck, he could take over at UNCG, and learn the ropes as the head guy. That's just my $.02.
Ehh, I'm of the opposite opinion on Davis vs Miller. Davis has been groomed for years. Miller has done pretty well at Greensboro, but he's ultimately made 2 NCAA tournaments in 10 years of coaching. He has 4 regular season titles...but nothing about that says to me that a blue blood has to have it.

I'd put him #2 on their realistic list due to youth and how Greensboro has developed lately, but Davis is relatively young as well, knows UNC inside and out, has the right recruiting connections and it's never been a better time to be an alum who's never been a HC. It's a Juwanderful time to have that resume.
I understand the logic, but history shows Howard to be the exception, not the rule. All first-time head coaches go through some growing pains, and it's one thing if its an Adia Barnes coaching the Arizona Women. Struggle early, and it's just a blip on the road to success. But take over a storied program like UNC Men's Basketball, and any struggle is national sports headlines. See Doherty, Matt.

It's also not fair to judge coaches in a one-bid league by NCAA appearances. The only way UNCG is ever going to make the big dance is by winning their conference tournament. They could go undefeated within the league, lose during the conference tournament, and still not make the NCAAs. Four league titles in 10 years, and never finishing 3rd in league the last five years is a solid coaching job. Drop the G and put Miller at UNC with similar results, and you're looking at several #1 seeds and no seed lower than 4th in the big dance.

UNC will likely follow Michigan and hire Davis. The history and metrics say W. Miller is the safer hire, because he already has head coach experience. Neither are a sure bet like a Donovan, who is a long shot and probably never return to campus at this point.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:12 am It's also not fair to judge coaches in a one-bid league by NCAA appearances. The only way UNCG is ever going to make the big dance is by winning their conference tournament. They could go undefeated within the league, lose during the conference tournament, and still not make the NCAAs. Four league titles in 10 years, and never finishing 3rd in league the last five years is a solid coaching job. Drop the G and put Miller at UNC with similar results, and you're looking at several #1 seeds and no seed lower than 4th in the big dance.
Yes and no for me. Look at a guy like Gregg Marshall, who had 7 tourney appearances in 9 seasons at Winthrop. To me, that's a high level resume in a one bid league.

I don't think Miller sucks, but people have done better in one bid leagues. It's not as simple as transitioning the same W/L record fo the ACC. Your competition is completely different.

Heck, even compare him to a guy like Oats who could be in the running. Oats had 3 tourneys in 4 years at Buffalo in a one bid league. Miller's record isn't bad, but when we talk about a cream of the crop job like UNC, it isn't so impressive I think he stands out. He's mentioned because he's a young alum, not because his Greensboro achievements are unique.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

zonagrad wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:24 pm If I'm a Carolina fan, I'd be very, very unhappy and disappointed if Stackhouse got the nod. I would think they could do a lot better in Chapel Hill. Vandy has done nothing under Stackhouse.
It would be shocking if UNC went that route. One suspects they already learned the hard way with the Matt Doherty hire. This is a premier job, it doesn't go to someone like Stackhouse, or even Davis regardless of how long he has been on the bench as an assistant. There was a time when established, top-tier coaches would leave a good gig for Carolina, but in 2021 it may not make as much sense as it did generations past due to how much college basketball has changed. Still, there are virtually no obstacles for the UNC coach, so even an established coach with a great situation like Drew at Baylor, could easily take a serious look at this job if offered.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:37 pm It would be shocking if UNC went that route. One suspects they already learned the hard way with the Matt Doherty hire. This is a premier job, it doesn't go to someone like Stackhouse, or even Davis regardless of how long he has been on the bench as an assistant. There was a time when established, top-tier coaches would leave a good gig for Carolina, but in 2021 it may not make as much sense as it did generations past due to how much college basketball has changed. Still, there are virtually no obstacles for the UNC coach, so even an established coach with a great situation like Drew at Baylor, could easily take a serious look at this job if offered.
I agree on Stackhouse, but not on Davis. Look at their successor to Dean Smith, Bill Guthridge.

If you see a guy up close for 5 years and you think he's your dude, no reason not to pull the trigger. Highly touted coaches from other schools don't always work out, see Indiana's recent history, pre-Cronin UCLA, Shaka at Texas...

You've got to hire the right guy, not the hot guy.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Every AZ hoops fan.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Carolina will announce the day after the tourney.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Looks like Cincinnati will be open soon. Sean or Archie?

Cincinnati puts basketball coach John Brannen on paid administrative leave pending review of program

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... f-program/

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not sure what's going on there, but only 5 players left?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The practices were apparently so brutal that the medical staff wanted to step in multiple times, and in one case did, to stop them.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

How can a world exist in which Sean Miller would become coach of Cincinnati of all places? I mean C'MON!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Hubert davis to head coach of UNC

Guess that means that robbins has to make a decision now.
;)
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:21 pm Hubert davis to head coach of UNC

;)
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:21 pm Hubert davis to head coach of UNC

;)
I mean if anything that shows that even the premier program in NCAA MBB replaces their coach with a giant question mark.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

In my life time NC went from Charlie Scott to Hubert Davis. Remarkable when you think about it. Thank god for guys like Dean and Wooden.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:57 pm

;)
I mean if anything that shows that even the premier program in NCAA MBB replaces their coach with a giant question mark.
If they are forced to....not by choice.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I think they're still stuck on "keeping it the family" but I didn't really follow the process so not sure if they got turned down but non-UNC coaches.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

;)
They've seen Davis up close for 9 years and everyone says he's been very impressive. He should immediately have the same recruiting ability, given he was a major cog in their recruiting right now.

It may not be the sexy new name, but I don't see him as a question mark. You've seen him coach UNC. You've seen him recruit to UNC.

That's why I'd bet on him from the beginning.

Edit: he was also apparently Roy's choice too. That has to be big
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:28 pm

;)
They've seen Davis up close for 9 years and everyone says he's been very impressive. He should immediately have the same recruiting ability, given he was a major cog in their recruiting right now.

It may not be the sexy new name, but I don't see him as a question mark. You've seen him coach UNC. You've seen him recruit to UNC.

Bill Guthridge was Dean's choice and did all those things you mentioned. He is still a big question mark to me and if I was a UNC fan I would have preferred something more.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

There seems to always be that transition coach from a legend where you just hope you get it right.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:57 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:28 pm

;)

Bill Guthridge was Dean's choice and did all those things you mentioned. He is still a big question mark to me and if I was a UNC fan I would have preferred something more.
Guthridge only coached for 3 years due to age, but he made 3 tourneys and 2 final fours. It's hard to argue he was all that bad, especially when compared to what Doherty did after him.

I looked at their roster and Doherty somehow won 8 games with 7 top 40 recruits on his roster.

UNC fans are probably fine because he's an alum, and that will earn him enough goodwill to see if he can win. And that's all that really ever matters. You win, you're fine.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I hear Arizona is open now, what other jobs are still open?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:56 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:52 pm
Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:48 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:32 pm Then you want the Lloyd dude I guesss
I think hiring someone with zero head coaching experience is the height of idiocy. We are not a stepping stone program and we should not be hiring someone with no record of success leading a college team.
What’s your take on UNC hiring Hubert?
I thought that was a bad move rooted in loyalty and sentimentality, which I can totally understand. Davis did his time. But he should have run his own program at some point, if only for a few years.
Woooo I think that Davis move is looking worse now that in his introductory press conference Hubert said, "I'm very proud that my wife is White."

:lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Looks like Cincinnati just fired their coach...

...do you think? Two brothers getting back together... You never know...
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »