Coaching Searches 2021

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Coaching Searches 2021

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Osborn wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:25 pm
TheCat wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:37 am If we don't get smart Miller will fill the next decent box like Shaka did when job security became a question.
This may be a stretch, but I'm of the belief that Miller and Robbins have come to an agreement but are keeping quiet until after the women's basketball team is done. If the UofA were to announce a deal with Miller, all attention would turn to its analysis to the detriment of the attention being shown the woman's program. I think Miller is the type of person that would want Coach Adia and the woman's basketball program to enjoy the spotlight they earned for as long as possible.
I feel like it's doing the opposite, though. The uncertainty on Miller is doing more to overshadow the women's run for me.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:44 pm
TheCat wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:37 am If we don't get smart Miller will fill the next decent box like Shaka did when job security became a question.
This may be a stretch, but I'm of the belief that Miller and Robbins have come to an agreement but are keeping quiet until after the women's basketball team is done. If the UofA were to announce a deal with Miller, all attention would turn to its analysis to the detriment of the attention being shown the woman's program. I think Miller is the type of person that would want Coach Adia and the woman's basketball program to enjoy the spotlight they earned for as long as possible.
I feel like it's doing the opposite, though. The uncertainty on Miller is doing more to overshadow the women's run for me.
I don’t think that people like Robbins know what it’s like to be fans. That we can support the women’s team (and baseball, and softball, etc) and still want a resolution to the Miller situation.

Robbins probably thinks we can only focus on one thing at a time. Spring football for a couple of days, women’s basketball for a few more. Then when our tiny brains have nothing to focus on we can deal with whatever he decides.

Basically it’s like he’s never read the comments on an AD tweet or Facebook post.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:05 pm
I don’t think that people like Robbins know what it’s like to be fans. That we can support the women’s team (and baseball, and softball, etc) and still want a resolution to the Miller situation.

Robbins probably thinks we can only focus on one thing at a time. Spring football for a couple of days, women’s basketball for a few more. Then when our tiny brains have nothing to focus on we can deal with whatever he decides.

Basically it’s like he’s never read the comments on an AD tweet or Facebook post.
If he extended Miller, I'd be happy, I'd want Miller to hit the recruiting trail, and it wouldn't take away from my appreciation of the women's run one bit.

Barnes has done a fantastic job with the program. That doesn't make her Miller's enemy one bit.

I find it hard to root for Arizona basketball and football at the same time, but that's mainly because Robbins hired a dumpster fire in Sumlin that made it hard for me to root for Arizona football at any point.
Osborn

Post by Osborn »

Valid points. But we're fans, not media. I'm just not sure the local and national sports media could ignore an easy opportunity for eyeballs and clicks. They just need to regurgitate the old allegations and supplement the new deal details, clutch their pearls, and give some SWAG about how it affects college hoops, recruiting, or our program.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:50 pm We should try not to act like NO ONE wants to live in Lubbock. A quarter million people call it home, so it’s like half the size of Tucson.

And yes, I’ve been there. Not the most picturesque corner of the country. But I bet you could buy a 12,000 foot mansion for whatever you’ve got in your couch cushions if you’re making $6M a year like our boy Beard.
eh quarter the size, Tucson metro is over a million now, Lubbock is like 300k
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Osborn wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:02 pm

Valid points. But we're fans, not media. I'm just not sure the local and national sports media could ignore an easy opportunity for eyeballs and clicks. They just need to regurgitate the old allegations and supplement the new deal details, clutch their pearls, and give some SWAG about how it affects college hoops, recruiting, or our program.
Very true, but at its heart the media is a wind sock, not the wind.

When the collective response to the initial stories is “Good, now get us a deep tourney run” the media will move on to other shit. Like whether Bobby Hurley wipes his ass sitting or standing.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

6 years, $18 million
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Oh those Utes. They never cast too wide a net, lol.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

BOLD PREDICTION: Dana Altman to either Bloom or Austin. Thoughts?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Austin
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Why leave Nike to go to kswiss?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Makes zero sense for Altman to leave. He can win Pac titles and compete for a national title in Eugene. He can also land elite recruits. UT and Indiana are lateral moves for him at this point, and he has no personal connection to either program.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Mike Woodson is who Indiana decided on as their coach?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

WildcatStunner wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:19 pm Mike Woodson is who Indiana decided on as their coach?
I thought you were joking.
That is .... wow. They paid Archie $10M to get their 8th choice?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

So no college coaching experience at all? Besides as old as I am? Does he know how hard recruiting is and dealing with NCAA rules?

Just don't get it. Never understood the reasoning behind getting an alumni a job, just because he was an alumni.

Teams are going to zone the heck out of Indiana unless he hires someone to do the X's and O's.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Should’ve given Archie another year if they were going to just take anyone.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I rarely agree with Goodman.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

This is why I get worried when people want to get rid of Miller. Indiana is a big time bb program and they didn't get who they wanted. Now they are stuck with a coach who could do some serious damage to their reputation and they are in a better conference than us. I don't know how their facilities compare or how much revenue the program generates but how are we different? Why do we think we can get a better coach right now?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Indiana has largely been irrelevant for the past 18 years, with one big year under Crean. They were a top 5-10 program for decades, but it is difficult to label Indiana basketball relevant in the 2020’s. A couple of bad hires are hard to recover from. That is the fear many have with moving on from Miller — do you end up with a Steve Alford or a Chris Mack? UCLA’s geography will always save it from long term damage of a bad hire, but many programs can’t bounce back that quickly.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Indiana bounced back when they hired Kelvin Sampson, but that only lasted two years when they fired him due to phone calls. Look at him now.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The problem with many athletic directors is that they want to make a hire that will win the press conference -- and place that above hiring a coach who will more importantly win more games. And to some degree -- winning that presser does create some momentum for the program in terms of program perception, recruiting, culture, etc...

I wonder where Woodson was on Indiana's list before they pulled the trigger on Archie?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

midnightx wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:31 pm Indiana has largely been irrelevant for the past 18 years, with one big year under Crean. They were a top 5-10 program for decades, but it is difficult to label Indiana basketball relevant in the 2020’s. A couple of bad hires are hard to recover from. That is the fear many have with moving on from Miller — do you end up with a Steve Alford or a Chris Mack? UCLA’s geography will always save it from long term damage of a bad hire, but many programs can’t bounce back that quickly.
I think it has a lot more to do with society moving on from Indiana (the place) and that getting reflected in things like the Indiana mens hoops program.

It just isn't 1980 anymore, and that's probably Indiana's primary problem.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

SCCats wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:18 am
midnightx wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:31 pm Indiana has largely been irrelevant for the past 18 years, with one big year under Crean. They were a top 5-10 program for decades, but it is difficult to label Indiana basketball relevant in the 2020’s. A couple of bad hires are hard to recover from. That is the fear many have with moving on from Miller — do you end up with a Steve Alford or a Chris Mack? UCLA’s geography will always save it from long term damage of a bad hire, but many programs can’t bounce back that quickly.
I think it has a lot more to do with society moving on from Indiana (the place) and that getting reflected in things like the Indiana mens hoops program.

It just isn't 1980 anymore, and that's probably Indiana's primary problem.
And Arizona should certainly take not of that. We are likely guilty of the same feelings about our program that Indiana fans are about theirs. But the reality is that the overall perception isn't overwhelming about Indiana....or Arizona. There's a lot of programs that can claim they're top 15. But when you get pen and paper and make a list -- you're left with 40 or so programs who feel like they're top 15. Ask some Pac 12 fans if they think their program is top 15. I'm guessing Arizona fans say yes. UCLA, Oregon? Yes. Utah fans will say they aren't at the moment but are certainly in the conversation. Same for Stanford or UW. Is the potential there? Yes. But the numbers say no. That's true for so many other programs: Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, etc...

This is precisely why Arizona can't expect to make a home run hire should they part ways with Miller. It's precisely why Livengood offered the job to Tim Floyd -- and had Seth Greenberg and Jim Boylen on his list and was practically begging Miller to take the job. This is why those who want Miller gone better do an evaluation of who they can realistically hire. Chris Beard? Maybe -- if you're lucky and are prepared to offer a ton of money. And that involves boosters who are ready to write some big checks.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Isn't Beard getting the Texas job?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:58 am Isn't Beard getting the Texas job?
If he turns down the Texas job (his Alma Mater with exponentially more money) he sure as shit isn't coming here.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:00 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:58 am Isn't Beard getting the Texas job?
If he turns down the Texas job (his Alma Mater with exponentially more money) he sure as shit isn't coming here.
Exactly. We have two options: extend Miller, or fire him and hire an unproven, probably undeserving replacement. I haven't yet seen a good argument for the latter.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

zonagrad wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:36 amAnd Arizona should certainly take not of that.
So your opinion is Arizona (the place) has had quite a bit of economic, cultural and social decline over the last five years, similar to what Indiana has had over the last 30 years?

We need to stop making arguments like this. Truly.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Arizona (the place & Tucson) has seen quite a bit of economic, cultural and social growth over the last five years. Indiana's program stagnated under multiple coaching changes and like most fan bases -- their fans over-value their program. Arizona fans have a high opinion of their program (as mentioned above) like numerous other fan bases. The takeaway is that while you may value and have a high opinion of your program -- it's not always easy to attract the coach you want. The hiring of Miller wasn't a slam dunk. It got downright frightening and Livengood pulled the Miller hire out of his ass. And the hire worked out pretty damn good: an elite 8 in year 2. In fact 3 Elite 8 appearances in the first six years.
Livengood wasn't very good -- he was lucky. And I have no confidence that Robbins/Heeke are superior to Livengood. Period.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:59 pm an elite 8 in year 2. In fact 3 Elite 8 appearances in the first six years.
It's really important not to lose sight of this. This wasn't a fluke. Sean came in and quickly recruited well and got guys to embrace his system. OADs have made it really hard to build momentum, but that's something all decent programs experience. I've been saying for ages now that the Kentucky/Duke approach to recruiting, which Sean too aspired to for a while there, is not good for the health of a program. You need juniors and seniors on the roster, and not just as reserves. You need TJ McConnell and Nick Johnson and Kadeem Allen and Trier and Ristic and Gabe York...it's really hard to win without one of these guys on your roster, and it's better if you've got two or three. The more reliant on OADs we are, the more we're going to linger in the middle of the Pac standings. The Nico/Josh/Zeke class is exhibit A.

Fortunately, Sean now has a roster that's built for long-term success. Mathurin and Tubelis are future pros, so all we can do is hope they want at least one more year in Tucson. I love Kriisa's potential, and I love our size. We can be competitive next season.

Anyway, I bet those 3 E8s in Sean's first six years are looking pretty good right about now, aren't they? At the time, a lot of us were bitching and moaning about losing to Wisconsin and falling short of the FF, but the reality is that Sean had the program consistently ranked in the top 10 for multiple seasons. I say it again: wasn't a fluke. We need to lock him down with a fair contract and start the long climb back to the top.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Last edited by Merkin on Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wasn't that the job we had to worry about losing CSM to? Guess we don't have to worry any longer.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Why would they announce the biggest coaching retirement in years on April fools day is beyond me. Who's his replacement? Beard?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not a prank. He’s retiring.

Interesting wrinkle in this offseason.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

84Cat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:35 am Why would they announce the biggest coaching retirement in years on April fools day is beyond me. Who's his replacement? Beard?
And during the tournament? I guess he wanted to be part of March Madness one last time and couldn't resist. (I suspect there might be contracts starting/ending March 31st/April 1st)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:28 am Wasn't that the job we had to worry about losing CSM to? Guess we don't have to worry any longer.
Yeah that was the rumor. No longer an issue, though.

UNC should have their pick of replacements. It'll be interesting to see who they go with. You don't see the obvious replacement. Do they hire from within or bring in a guy like Musselman?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:35 am Why would they announce the biggest coaching retirement in years on April fools day is beyond me. Who's his replacement? Beard?
Beard went to Texas, I'd figure UT seems more likely, but UNC has tremendous pull.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Goodman is reporting Beard to UT.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:13 am Goodman is reporting Beard to UT.
Yep:

BREAKING: Texas is hiring Texas Tech coach Chris Beard, source told @Stadium.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

How about Jay Wright to UNC? Can you imagine?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:24 am How about Jay Wright to UNC? Can you imagine?
I don't think I can. My money would be Hubert Davis.

If it's an outside hire, the only UNC guy close is Wes Miller. Then there are the hotter names like Musselman and Oats.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Shaka chokes against ACU, bolts, and then they fall into an alum as good as Beard with no firing/buyout. Must be nice.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The theory of holding off any Miller extension talks until the women's tourny run is over is what do Heeke and Robbins want to read on the C1 headlines (C1 being the front page of the Sports section of the newspaper for those who don't understand the reference). Do they want to read about the amazing success of Barnes, McDonald, and the trailblazing Women Wildcats playing in the school's first Final Four? Or do they want to read about the lingering questions and the power the IARP has over the men's program? From a PR perspective, it's an easy choice.

Texas is an interesting job. Much bigger spotlight than TTech, and it's burned several very good coaches already. Expectations are extreme, especially for a school with 2 Final Fours in the 1940s, and one in 2003! I guess the extra coin and chance to get back to Austin were too much for Beard, who felt it was likely now or never.

As for North Carolina, I don't see them hiring outside the Heel family at this time. They might see if Billy Donovan wants to come back to school. Otherwise, I can seem them promoting Hubert Davis, or hiring Wes Miller, former player at UNC, and current coach at UNC Greensborough. Miller has 5-straight 20+ wins seasons at UNCG, with 2 NCAA appearances and 2 NIT appearances.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:32 am Shaka chokes against ACU, bolts, and then they fall into an alum as good as Beard with no firing/buyout. Must be nice.
"bolts"
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:32 am Shaka chokes against ACU, bolts, and then they fall into an alum as good as Beard with no firing/buyout. Must be nice.
Shaka made the right choice. Texas thinks they're entitled to greatness in everything. He made what would have been 4 tourneys in 6 years and got shocked in the first round twice (once by a half court buzzer beater) and they still hated him. For a school that's made 1 Final Four since 1948, they have a huge God complex.

We'll see how Beard does. Beard is a very good coach, but Texas is a big disparity between expectations and reality.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So UNC has to reach out to Brad Stevens, right?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:25 pm So UNC has to reach out to Brad Stevens, right?
Maybe base level call to the agent. I doubt they chase him, though. I genuinely think it's Hubert Davis.

If Stevens wanted it, maybe that changes, but I'm not sure UNC has any interest in public rejection.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:29 pm
Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:25 pm So UNC has to reach out to Brad Stevens, right?
Maybe base level call to the agent. I doubt they chase him, though. I genuinely think it's Hubert Davis.

If Stevens wanted it, maybe that changes, but I'm not sure UNC has any interest in public rejection.
I think Davis is a logical choice. But if I'm the decision-maker there, I'm going to keep Davis on the hook while I make some serious but quiet inquiries to Brad Stevens' people.

I'd also put it out there to Jerry Stackhouse. I know he doesn't have a ton of college experience, and the experience he has at Vandy has been pretty shitty, but you don't want him to blow up and turn that program around and then have him looming over whoever the current UNC coach is.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:46 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:29 pm

I think Davis is a logical choice. But if I'm the decision-maker there, I'm going to keep Davis on the hook while I make some serious but quiet inquiries to Brad Stevens' people.

I'd also put it out there to Jerry Stackhouse. I know he doesn't have a ton of college experience, and the experience he has at Vandy has been pretty shitty, but you don't want him to blow up and turn that program around and then have him looming over whoever the current UNC coach is.
I'd be fine with a quiet "you interested?" call to Stevens. If he doesn't say yes immediately, you move on.

Davis is my leader. I'd put Wes Miller #2 and then Stack plus the nationally hot guys like Muss/Oats. Davis just seems to be the HC in waiting. Unless someone blows him out of the water (Stevens, maybe Donovan could do that) I just have a hard time seeing them go beyond that.

Stackhouse...I feel like they have to believe they get him if/when they want him. Same with Miller. No one's turning UNC down to stay at Vandy or Greensboro no matter how good things are going. There's a really short list of guys UNC has to think aren't gettable.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:58 pmI'd be fine with a quiet "you interested?" call to Stevens. If he doesn't say yes immediately, you move on.
What if he says, "Can we talk about this again in a month?" Probably have to move on, but whoooo, that'd be tough to say no thanks and then move on.