The Big 12 Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UofAlum05

The Big 12 Thread

Post by UofAlum05 »

Might as well get this fired up so we can start discussing and monitoring our future conference rivals.
YoDeFoe

Re: The Big 12 Thread

Post by YoDeFoe »

Mark me down as more interested in joining the Western Conference
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Good basketball conference,
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

enfuego will say he loves this but is secretly scared shitless.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Big 12 is the best UA can hope for.

Multiple news outlets reported the Big 12 announced Friday during its spring meetings that the conference is distributing an average of $42.6 million per member institution in revenue for the 2021-22 fiscal year
AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:32 pm enfuego will say he loves this but is secretly scared shitless.
At least the UA football is almost guaranteed another win.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Could Texas be headed for the Big 10, too?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:44 pm Could Texas be headed for the Big 10, too?
They're already going to to sec with Oklahoma
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

The good news is we won't have to worry about DirecTV not carrying the Pac-12 Network.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I legit feel sick. This sucks.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

azgreg wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:46 pm
What a Jack Ass!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Since the news now that Oregon and Washington and the Bay area schools are staying...do we stay and try to add some big 12 teams or what? Or do we go to the big 12?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:50 pm Since the news now that Oregon and Washington and the Bay area schools are staying...do we stay and try to add some big 12 teams or what? Or do we go to the big 12?

Get out of the PAC, it's been a disaster for quite some time. Don't see anything coming down the pipe to fix that.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:53 pm
ASUHATER! wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:50 pm Since the news now that Oregon and Washington and the Bay area schools are staying...do we stay and try to add some big 12 teams or what? Or do we go to the big 12?

Get out of the PAC, it's been a disaster for quite some time. Don't see anything coming down the pipe to fix that.
There’s nowhere really to go. I’d rather be part of a PAC 10 then have any association with these other crappy conferences.

But now UCLA and USC fans get shit talked in the street at every opportunity. F those guys.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Geographically the big 12 makes more sense I guess but financially we really want to be in the big 10 to ensure our survival. But if we don't do either we might as well just join the mountain west
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I hadn't been following this, but it sounds like conversations are about the Big 10, for the most part, being football schools, and the Big 12, for the most part, being basketball schools.

I kind of like that.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Don't be fooled! There is not one single Pac-10 remaining school that would not accept an invitation to join either the SEC or the Big-10.

Period!

The Pac-12 media pact expires in 2024. All bets are off after that!! (And, IMNSHO, there are no adds to the PAC that would significantly enhance the prospects for Pac media revenues.

Arizona is on a slippery slope to second tier status....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:14 am

Don't be fooled! There is not one single Pac-10 remaining school that would not accept an invitation to join either the SEC or the Big-10.

Period!

The Pac-12 media pact expires in 2024. All bets are off after that!! (And, IMNSHO, there are no adds to the PAC that would significantly enhance the prospects for Pac media revenues.

Arizona is on a slippery slope to second tier status....
True, but I'm still trying to wrap my brain around what that means. In recent years, some in the press have warned that Arizona Athletics might be starting look more like UNM than USC. But with USC joining the Rich Sixteen, what happens when the vast, vast majority of schools is on the outside of the Big 10 and SEC? Is Villanova Basketball, let alone Kansas Basketball (not to mention Duke) going to become second tier to USC Basketball as the beneficiary of inconceivable media revenue? Or is this really more about solidifying of what we already knew to be the case anyway? Namely, that Arizona football really is entirely second tier already.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Longhorned wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:08 am
True, but I'm still trying to wrap my brain around what that means. In recent years, some in the press have warned that Arizona Athletics might be starting look more like UNM than USC. But with USC joining the Rich Sixteen, what happens when the vast, vast majority of schools is on the outside of the Big 10 and SEC? Is Villanova Basketball, let alone Kansas Basketball (not to mention Duke) going to become second tier to USC Basketball as the beneficiary of inconceivable media revenue? Or is this really more about solidifying of what we already knew to be the case anyway? Namely, that Arizona football really is entirely second tier already.
This is close to my take. Maybe the basketball schools should consider starting their own conference. All these schools don't have 1st tier football programs.

Arizona
Duke
North Carolina
Kentucky
Kansas
Villanova
Connecticut
Syracuse
Louisville
Virginia
Wake Forest

Maybe Indiana. They haven't done much recently, but have a storied history. Plus, their football sucks.

I'm sure there are others I haven't thought of.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Catintheheat wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:39 am
Longhorned wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:08 am
This is close to my take. Maybe the basketball schools should consider starting their own conference. All these schools don't have 1st tier football programs.

Arizona
Duke
North Carolina
Kentucky
Kansas
Villanova
Connecticut
Syracuse
Louisville
Virginia
Wake Forest

Maybe Indiana. They haven't done much recently, but have a storied history. Plus, their football sucks.

Look, it's all about money. Pure and simple.

I don't see either BIG or SEC dumping any schools - and weaker football members and soooo happy to be reaping the rewards.

Two super conferences will become the collegiate equivalent of the NFL & AFL - unless/until they merge and function more as the NFC & AFC - they will be able to dominate the TV markets, and everyone else will be the minor leagues. (That handwriting has been on the wall for awhile)

Most commentators I'm reading are predicting each will have 20 schools. Right now, Notre Dame is the next with an option, then, the other pieces will fall into place.

To get into the BIG, a school has to be AAU (American Association of Universities) - that make U of A eligible, but not ASU. The SEC is less discerning....

Regardless, the U of A is on the outside looking in right now, and conference affiliation outside ot the big two won't mean much moving forward.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Right, and even with 40 schools, U of A won't be one of them because of football. And Northwestern will belong to this new NFC/AFC?

If you functionally have two NFL's, then who is the new Div 1 college basketball? That market isn't going away, is it? Will ESPN drop Duke? Will CBS drop March Madness for some kind of Big 10/SEC basketball playoffs?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:39 am

Arizona
Duke
North Carolina
Kentucky
Kansas
Villanova
Connecticut
Syracuse
Louisville
Virginia
Wake Forest

UK makes considerably more from football that basketball, even when their football program sucked. Figure that!

Mark Stoops is doing amazing things though there. As we all know, Mark was the real brains behind the limited success Mike Stoops had here.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

enfuego

Post by enfuego »

AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:32 pm enfuego will say he loves this but is secretly scared shitless.
Nah. We'll be in the BIG.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

enfuego wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:46 am
Nah. We'll be in the BIG.
LOL delusional.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

If we somehow get into a conference with the remainder of the Big 12 and ASU, CU, Utah, and Oregon and/or Washington and their brother schools...I would suggest lighting a candle or sacrificing a goat or whatever it is you do with your god because that would be the best possible position to be in, other than USC and UCLA saying "psyyyychee" and adding Notre Dame. Football, it would be below the Big 10 and SEC, without a doubt. But what a fkn basketball conference. Baylor, Tech, Kansas, ISU, WVU, Okie St, sometimes TCU, sometimes Kansas St, and maybe Oregon....

We would definitely be 2nd tier, but the PAC had already become that in football anyway. At least we'd have a fighting chance in football, and would be a far better hoops conference.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Shit. I dunno if less Bruins is better than more enfuego.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

So are we going to the big 12 with Colorado?
https://www.si.com/college/cincinnati/n ... nalization
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:11 pm So are we going to the big 12 with Colorado?
https://www.si.com/college/cincinnati/n ... nalization
That article is quoting the Swaim Show. Wait for a legitimate source.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Not the first I've heard about zona and rado going to the big12 without their travel partners.

Aaron Torres pod mentioned it.

Not saying he's legit, he does admit his mistakes
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

And Torres doubled down on it today after the big12 commissioner's comments.

He also thinks UConn, SDSU, and Gonzaga's basketball program are targets, in addition to Zona and Rado.
-Norlander.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Might happen to one PAC team tomorrow. https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sources-co ... 41086.html
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

We are going to fuck this up.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think the Big 12 sucks and don't want to go there. Geographically it would be hard on student athletes. Everyone is chasing the dollars and I understand that but it just sucks.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea it sucks but I don't see much other green grass. Definitely continues to contribute to my apathy about sports as a whole though
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

TheCat wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:45 pm I think the Big 12 sucks and don't want to go there. Geographically it would be hard on student athletes. Everyone is chasing the dollars and I understand that but it just sucks.
In addition, I do not want my Alma mater affiliated with Brigham Young University (or TCU, for that matter) in any formal way!

$$$$ destroys everything good - it's getting harder to remain a college sports fan...

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

pc in NM wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:05 am
TheCat wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:45 pm I think the Big 12 sucks and don't want to go there. Geographically it would be hard on student athletes. Everyone is chasing the dollars and I understand that but it just sucks.
In addition, I do not want my Alma mater affiliated with Brigham Young University (or TCU, for that matter) in any formal way!

$$$$ destroys everything good - it's getting harder to remain a college sports fan...
This is a dumb take imo. Would you feel the same way if we played in a league with Notre Dame?

You need to separate church and state...err sports if it benefits the UofA which a move to the Big 12 would do once the PAC implodes, which is only a matter of time.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:54 am

This is a dumb take imo. Would you feel the same way if we played in a league with Notre Dame?

You need to separate church and state...err sports if it benefits the UofA which a move to the Big 12 would do once the PAC implodes, which is only a matter of time.
"Dumb"??? I'm comfortable with my values, and willing to discuss them with anyone - except someone who thinks that values can be "smart" or "Dumb". I do expect a university-based discussion group to recognize the legitimate distinction between facts and values—in other words, between descriptions of the world and normative judgments about it.

As for church/state, I strongly affirm both "freedom OF religion", AND "freedom FROM religion". I'm totally intolerant of racism, too, BTW.
  • Therefore the desire to never be affiliated with Brigham Young University.
  • And, I'll acknowledge that my mention of TCU could not be as strongly justified, but I threw it in just because I don't want to be in the Big-12.

― Kinky Friedman
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Edit, looks like byu has been slow to react to some recent incidents.
-Norlander.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

pc in NM wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:39 am
As for church/state, I strongly affirm both "freedom OF religion", AND "freedom FROM religion". I'm totally intolerant of racism, too, BTW.
  • And, I'll acknowledge that my mention of TCU could not be as strongly justified, but I threw it in just because I don't want to be in the Big-12.
TCU is not a Christian school anymore. They've minimized their origins under the Disciples of Christ denomination as much as they can.

As for BYU, does sharing a conference with them really count as any sort of personal affiliation? A few years ago I had neighbors who would raise a BYU flag. Their flag's late afternoon shadow would creep into my front yard. That affiliated me with BYU more than Arizona sharing a conference with BYU, and all in all it did no harm.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

"Dumb"??? I'm comfortable with my values, and willing to discuss them with anyone - except someone who thinks that values can be "smart" or "Dumb". I do expect a university-based discussion group to recognize the legitimate distinction between facts and values—in other words, between descriptions of the world and normative judgments about it.

Didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers but I should have known with a username “PC”.😝 I apologize if you took that as attacking your values, that was not my intention.

And I will pass on your diatribe around “facts”, “descriptions of the world” and “normative judgments”. Feels better suited for the lower boards and frankly I have no idea what you are talking about other than you have some sort of religion phobia and it appears you’d rather Arizona be stuck in PAC Siberia than upgrade to a better conference for the sole reason they have 1 Mormon school and another that only has Christian in their name.

That to me is dumb but whatever makes you feel better or morally superior or however you want to reason it.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:16 pm
TCU is not a Christian school anymore. They've minimized their origins under the Disciples of Christ denomination as much as they can.

As for BYU, does sharing a conference with them really count as any sort of personal affiliation? A few years ago I had neighbors who would raise a BYU flag. Their flag's late afternoon shadow would creep into my front yard. That affiliated me with BYU more than Arizona sharing a conference with BYU, and all in all it did no harm.
Playing on the BYU campus is not “any sort of personal affiliation”???

It’s a professional, academic and athletic affiliation!! And shit happens!!!
BYU hit by fresh allegations of racist abuse from crowd at athletic event

Five soccer players say they were subjected to N-word chants

Claims come a month after allegations about volleyball game

Fresh allegations of racist slurs being used at a BYU athletic event have emerged, a month after similar claims involving the Duke volleyball team.

Five women’s soccer players from a visiting team told the Guardian they heard the N-word being directed at them and their teammates from the crowd during a game at BYU in 2021. Players had knelt for the national anthem to protest racial and social injustice when they say they heard shouts from the crowd.

“I just remember that there was like a consistent chant of ‘stand up, N-words’ during the anthem and right after,” one of the players told the Guardian. “And when brought to the attention of the BYU coaching staff there was no real response or sense of, like, alarm.”

She added: “I felt disappointed but not surprised. Backlash for kneeling was not new for our group but to hear that in person was shocking. I think both the fans and coaching staff knew we wouldn’t cancel the game after the incident, which once again shows this could be part of a bigger cultural issue within BYU as an institution.”

Four of her teammates independently confirmed to the Guardian that they also heard the chants.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... ege-sports

― Kinky Friedman
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Ok tough guy athiest. Nice try with a virtue signal, now you just look the typical arrogant prick who thinks they don’t need to be exposed to anyone else’s beliefs. Really an absolutely pathetic reason and pathetic post.

News flash: if they meet the educational requirements, religious institutions get to exist and be part of athletic conferences. Get the hell over it.

Let’s all joint he WAC so New Mexico atheist doesn’t have to watch someone play a sport who has beliefs different than he does. Who cares about the success of the programs and students!
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:11 pm

Didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers but I should have known with a username “PC”.😝 I apologize if you took that as attacking your values, that was not my intention.

And I will pass on your diatribe around “facts”, “descriptions of the world” and “normative judgments”. Feels better suited for the lower boards and frankly I have no idea what you are talking about other than you have some sort of religion phobia and it appears you’d rather Arizona be stuck in PAC Siberia than upgrade to a better conference for the sole reason they have 1 Mormon school and another that only has Christian in their name.

That to me is dumb but whatever makes you feel better or morally superior or however you want to reason it.
Do not pologize to this asshole, he started the attacks on other people’s beliefs first.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

splitsecond wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:20 pm

Ok tough guy athiest. Nice try with a virtue signal, now you just look the typical arrogant prick who thinks they don’t need to be exposed to anyone else’s beliefs. Really an absolutely pathetic reason and pathetic post.

News flash: if they meet the educational requirements, religious institutions get to exist and be part of athletic conferences. Get the hell over it.

Let’s all joint he WAC so New Mexico atheist doesn’t have to watch someone play a sport who has beliefs different than he does. Who cares about the success of the programs and students!
Many other PAC-12 (particularly the academic) schools will not affiliate due to concerns around treatment of women, minorities, and the LGBTQ communities, the strictness and inconsistent application of their code of conduct, partial aversion to scientific based research, and issues around censorship. You can have a fit about it, but that is the reality.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

GlobalCat wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:02 pm
Many other PAC-12 (particularly the academic) schools will not affiliate due to concerns around treatment of women, minorities, and the LGBTQ communities, the strictness and inconsistent application of their code of conduct, partial aversion to scientific based research, and issues around censorship. You can have a fit about it, but that is the reality.
But allowing Colorado as our example, that is not at all how the reality plays out. Colorado, a self-fancying hippie mecca which prides itself every bit as progressively advanced as Berkeley or Eugene, took they first chance they could get to run back to the Big 12 despite any dreaded BYU affiliations.

Colorado’s board of presidents and chancellors took less then 24 hours to cast a unanimous vote to join the Big 12. Without a bit of hesitation paid to BYU.

Promised $32M of shared conference revenue and all those values supposedly held high in Boulder were ignored.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

We will end up in conference purgatory but shit we will have our values!

I grew up as a PAC guy. My Dad went to Stanford, my sister SC, my brother Colorado and I lived less than 2 miles from the UCLA campus.

I’m ready to burn my PAC card…
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Or we will end up waiting for the PAC 09 to promise us 18 mil per year and be on streaming platform for 70% of our games while the Big 13 becomes the big 16 without us.

Hopefully we can save 14 million by only having to fly to Seattle and Pullman instead of Orlando and Morgantown.

Here's hoping for Prime video as the carrier of our streaming games.
-Norlander.