NCAA thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

SCCat

NCAA thread

Post by SCCat »

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA says current college players won't be penalized if they receive part of the payout from a $40 million settlement with video game maker Electronic Arts.

Last week, the two sides agreed to a deal to settle a lawsuit that contended the company improperly used the images and likenesses of current and former college players.

If the deal is approved by the court, more than 100,000 athletes, including some current players, could get paid.
So in the lawsuit to get players paid who weren't paid before because if they were paid they would lose their current amateur status, the NCAA says "Yeah sure, just pay 'em. No problem here."

Definitely time to negotiate a new NCAA because this one has descended into farce.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... uit-payout
ASUHATER!

Re: NCAA thread

Post by ASUHATER! »

ncaa needs to be reformed, no doubt, but i fear that if the athletes get their way, they will end college sports in the process, at least in any shape that we know it.

i'm just imagining in 15 years watching college football where the sport is just the AAA for the NFL. college teams won't actually be a part of the university...it will be The Alabama Crimson Tide Corporation (TM) that pays rent to the university of alabama to use their stadium and has the same kind of structure as a pro sports team. players on the team won't even need to be students at alabama since they play for a pro franchise and sign contracts (minor league deals, at most worth the NFL league minimum).

this seems like it is what college players want now. all to get paid like 40k-200k a year and not have to worry about school before they are drafted or called up to the NFL to get their 500k-20 million dollar contracts.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here is the lede from the link above.
Five Richmond baseball players who have been ruled ineligible by the NCAA were involved in fantasy football, leading to their suspensions to start the season, according to a Richmond Times-Dispatch report.

The university announced Feb. 17 that five student-athletes on the baseball team had committed secondary violations and would be ineligible for competition until the NCAA completes the reinstatement process.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

The farce in them is strong.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The NCAA has been and continues to be a ridiculous institution. If ever there was an organization that could not understand the difference between "the letter of the law" and the "spirit of the law," it's without a doubt the NCAA.

So an athlete takes a real summer school course at a different school and is thus suspended. Yet North Carolina athletes attend fake classes for 18 years and there's no consequences.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

zonagrad wrote:The NCAA has been and continues to be a ridiculous institution. If ever there was an organization that could not understand the difference between "the letter of the law" and the "spirit of the law," it's without a doubt the NCAA.

So an athlete takes a real summer school course at a different school and is thus suspended. Yet North Carolina athletes attend fake classes for 18 years and there's no consequences.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The NCAA, always ahead of the curve on things like not treating student athletes like slaves ( :roll: ), has amended their policy on student athlete compensation 48 hours before it became the law in several states…
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Like they say in the south, slavery never ended, we just went to minimum wage. At least the kids are getting something
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

...and so it begins.

Reggie Bush wants his Heisman Trophy back, believes NCAA should reinstate his records

https://sports.yahoo.com/reggie-bush-wa ... 08605.html
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Chicat

Re: NCAA threads

Post by Chicat »

He’s right to ask.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

MountainCat wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:45 am ...and so it begins.

Reggie Bush wants his Heisman Trophy back, believes NCAA should reinstate his records

https://sports.yahoo.com/reggie-bush-wa ... 08605.html
Give that man his property back
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Who will be the first Arizona athlete to get an endorsement deal and what will it be for?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:30 pm Who will be the first Arizona athlete to get an endorsement deal and what will it be for?
Gil Luna - Chico's Bail Bonds
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:30 pm Who will be the first Arizona athlete to get an endorsement deal and what will it be for?
The Tubelis Brothers for Busha’s Authentic Borscht.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Who will be the first Eegees endorser

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Stacey Marshall Jr.
Last edited by gronk4heisman on Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Wonder what Gronk would have done is he were still in school?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

MountainCat wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:51 pm Wonder what Gronk would have done is he were still in school?
MTV Spring Break
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Whichever athlete it is you know Robbins/Heeke will screw it up.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

https://arizonawildcats.com/news/2021/7 ... dge-update

Who trusts Heeke to get this right?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:02 pm
That’s beautiful. Now we need Kerr Kriisa tweeting “I mean if you REALLY like chimichangas…”.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:18 pm Who will be the first Eegees endorser
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Dabo seems like one of the biggest faux Christian greasy lying fake people ever.

97cats

Post by 97cats »

ASUHATER! wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:02 pm Dabo seems like one of the biggest faux Christian greasy lying fake people ever.
you sure do know the real truth about a lot of successful people - its fascinating (uncanny really) your ability to size up another person of which you have no personal knowledge or history whatsoever and rip them down to the studs.

i cant believe you havent used this great leveling skill of yours into a better career....its rare and worth some serious cash - you're missing the boat.

here's a thought, perhaps if you did what you love (telling the rest of the human race whats wrong with them) and got paid well for it instead of delivering pizzas, you wouldn't whine so much about shelling out $20 for a pair of sneakers or blame capitalism cause you cant afford to get laid.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

97cats wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:33 pm
ASUHATER! wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:02 pm Dabo seems like one of the biggest faux Christian greasy lying fake people ever.
you sure do know the real truth about a lot of successful people - its fascinating (uncanny really) your ability to size up another person of which you have no personal knowledge or history whatsoever and rip them down to the studs.

i cant believe you havent used this great leveling skill of yours into a better career....its rare and worth some serious cash - you're missing the boat.

here's a thought, perhaps if you did what you love (telling the rest of the human race whats wrong with them) and got paid well for it instead of delivering pizzas, you wouldn't whine so much about shelling out $20 for a pair of sneakers or blame capitalism cause you cant afford to get laid.
Holy hell someone has a hard on for Dabo I guess.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:13 pm
I wonder if Dabo feels different now seeing his own players get to reap the benefit of this change.

If he doesn’t, he’s kind of a piece of shit, right?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Maybe he was talking about the schools paying the players and not them earning it on their own.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The racist shut-up-and-dribble crowd will lose their minds. Fox News will devote hours to covering moral decay on campus tied solely to this. Somehow, someway, this is Communism, anti-white and anti-male. When female athletes sign their deals Title IX will be assailed. This is the end of Western Capitalism and the MSM doesn't want you to know about it.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The dam is breaking.

Unfortunately, I doubt this ends well for the UA. No way in hell we ever compete with Phil Knights $$Money$$......in football or basketball
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:55 pm The racist shut-up-and-dribble crowd will lose their minds. Fox News will devote hours to covering moral decay on campus tied solely to this. Somehow, someway, this is Communism, anti-white and anti-male. When female athletes sign their deals Title IX will be assailed. This is the end of Western Capitalism and the MSM doesn't want you to know about it.
Actually the old system was communism, complete with the Commisars (Emmert/NCAA) fattening their wallets. What we have now is closer to capitalism.........the players will go to the highest bidder (Which I am afraid will not be the poor old UA).
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

dmjcat wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:19 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:55 pm The racist shut-up-and-dribble crowd will lose their minds. Fox News will devote hours to covering moral decay on campus tied solely to this. Somehow, someway, this is Communism, anti-white and anti-male. When female athletes sign their deals Title IX will be assailed. This is the end of Western Capitalism and the MSM doesn't want you to know about it.
Actually the old system was communism, complete with the Commisars (Emmert/NCAA) fattening their wallets. What we have now is closer to capitalism.........the players will go to the highest bidder (Which I am afraid will not be the poor old UA).
The old system was indenture. Now that it's a market system it will be assailed as Communism because the conservatives always see economics through the lens of culture wars.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't imagine many of these athletes will end up in college. Go to class? What do you mean go to class?

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

And it's a damn good thing.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I completely understand how the NIL is likely the most ethical course of action for these athletes, but this is going to quickly destroy whatever's left of traditional college athletics culture, right? How do you build team chemistry when 15 of the guys on the football team are already millionaires and the rest are living off of ramen and bad pizza?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:24 am I completely understand how the NIL is likely the most ethical course of action for these athletes, but this is going to quickly destroy whatever's left of traditional college athletics culture, right? How do you build team chemistry when 15 of the guys on the football team are already millionaires and the rest are living off of ramen and bad pizza?
Not even at Alabama will there be 15 millionaires on any team.

Does college athletics culture suffer because kids come from different backgrounds? Some kids come to school already well-to-do. Does that destroy teams from the inside?

I think certain players making money off their likeness will actually boost performance. Imagine you are behind a guy making 6 figures on the depth chart. Isn’t that an even greater incentive to play your way into the starting lineup so you can make money AND to prove you’re better than the guy making bank?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:24 am I completely understand how the NIL is likely the most ethical course of action for these athletes, but this is going to quickly destroy whatever's left of traditional college athletics culture, right? How do you build team chemistry when 15 of the guys on the football team are already millionaires and the rest are living off of ramen and bad pizza?
Mostly agree and that doesn't take into account the affect of the Nikes of the world starting (they already have) bidding wars for high school athletes. Arizona doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell landing any top recruits that Oregon/Alabama etc want.........in any sport.

Coach Lloyd has his work cut out for him.......at least Oregon couldn't openly bribe players with Million dollar Nike deals when Miller was the coach.

I am afraid that the UA is not going to fare well in the new NIL world. (I'm referring to basketball, we weren't doing well in football to begin with).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:35 am
Not even at Alabama will there be 15 millionaires on any team.

Does college athletics culture suffer because kids come from different backgrounds? Some kids come to school already well-to-do. Does that destroy teams from the inside?

I think certain players making money off their likeness will actually boost performance. Imagine you are behind a guy making 6 figures on the depth chart. Isn’t that an even greater incentive to play your way into the starting lineup so you can make money AND to prove you’re better than the guy making bank?
Chi: I think coming from a rich family is very different from making one's own millions at 18 or 19 years old. Rich kids on the football team aren't necessarily financially independent in the same way we're now going to see with the NIL.

And why can't there by 15 millionaires at Alabama? How many guys does Bama send to the NFL every year? How about Ohio State? Maybe 15 is a little high, but the point is that we're now in a situation where it is *possible* for a roster to have several kids earning more money at 18 than I am in my 40s.

As for whether this will boost performance, I guess we'll see. Maybe it'll work in the way you're envisioning.

Lastly, I think this gives an even greater advantage to schools located in/near major sports cities like Los Angeles, Dallas, Atlanta, Oakland/SF, and it potentially makes things rougher for schools in smaller college towns, like Tucson. The greatest marketing opportunities -- even in the Internet age -- are always going to be in the large metro hubs.