Greatest teams to not win a title

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Greatest teams to not win a title

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin

Re: Greatest teams to not win a title

Post by Merkin »

The 2001 team definitely deserves a mention, along with 1998.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:58 pm The 2001 team definitely deserves a mention, along with 1998.
At least one of those teams, for sure.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

They should take the teams prior to the late 60s or thereabouts off the list; different eras entirely that clearly wouldn't hold up to the quickness and depth of more recent teams. There probably also ought to be a sub-category for teams that kept their core together but couldn't repeat. A few of those teams are listed, and our 1998 team definitely belongs there. 2001 easily belongs as a tremendously talented team Lute put together that made one run at it and fell just short. (And which was also pretty blatantly screwed over by the refs.)
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Guy Lewis couldn't coach for shit!!! Good recruiter, but his other coaching skills solely involved rolling the ball out to his players...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Duke 98-99 is the first team that comes to mind when thinking of "greatest team w/o title." They are ranked 12th. Can still name their starting five along with Corey Magette who came off the bench as a freshman. I don't think the ACC has seen a more unbeatable buzzsaw rip through their conference like 99 Duke.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Definitely 1991 UNLV. That team is the best college team I've ever seen. You saw that team's potential when they ousted UA in the 1989 NCAA tournament with Anderson Hunt's amazing shot which ended Sean Elliot's career. I always thought Tark got the last laugh on Lute. Tark wasn't too happy with some of Lute's shady recruiting shenanigans and I can't see as I blame him. Anyway he got his revenge and won the 1990 National Championship with an amazing roster of talent. I believe they blew us out that year or the year after in the regular season proving UNLV was the best program in the west at the time. Jerry Tarkanian was always one of my favorite college coaches. The towel, the jaws music, and thumbing their noses at the NCAA; it was hard to root against them.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I will agree that those unlv teams in the early 90s may have been the best college teams ever!!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:59 pm I will agree that those unlv teams in the early 90s may have been the best college teams ever!!!!

There's a question for you in this thread U.P.:

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... 22#p614922
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Captain Obvious wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:11 pm I always thought Tark got the last laugh on Lute.
Actually no.