Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azpenguin

Re: Rich Rod

Post by azpenguin »

dc4azcats wrote:
RichardCranium wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Newportcat wrote:You don't think that RR knows that he won the South and beat Oregon at Autzen with a RS frosh QB, true frosh RB, undersized DL, and an undersized and not very fast secondary? Ya, I'm sure he can't wait to get out of here.
I don't disagree with your sentiment, but I just wanted to make sure you realized that he LOST to Oregon with those same folks too.
We beat them at Autzen and how many teams do that? We weren't going to win that game at Levi's stadium because of all the emotion that went into beating Assu - not an excuse as much as it was reality. Oregon didn't have the same emotional game that we had plus they wanted revenge so I get it. It still doesn't take away from the fact that we beat them at their place and we've beaten them 2 years in a row. How many teams not named Stanford have done that in the last 10 years? Exactly.
Not to mention Solomon's injury. He just couldn't move like he was able to in Autzen. That game in Autzen was a masterpiece of coaching and scheme. The two wheel route throws were perfect calls and the one that Wilson scored the TD on was a play they'd set Oregon up for all night.

Schools are going to be coming hard to get RR out of Arizona. When you look at the roster, it's clear he's no one-hit wonder so he doesn't need to run while the gettin's good. This roster is full of underclassmen, and yet they were within reach of a bid in the playoff after 12 games. If he stays a long time, Arizona football will finally have its Lute. And I think the longer he stays, the harder it will be to leave.
devilswin99

Post by devilswin99 »

dc4azcats wrote:
devilswin99 wrote:If RR leaves, it will be because he cannot get the high profile blue chippers he thinks he needs in Tucson that he could land in South Florida or elsewhere on the East Coast. He is great at finding diamonds in the rough (Wright) but you only have so much magic and good fortune to make that happen. Right place and right time, he will go. Arizona gave him a chance to freshen up and get that new car smell again. Time to hit the road, son!!!
First off he recruits to his system so blue chippers like Anu Solomon, followed by Devin Modster means that we're set at QB for the next 6 years? Oh wait, then you have Burmeister coming in for 2017 and lets see, all 3 QB's are blue chippers that RR wanted for his system. That's where it starts for RR because if he's got the QB he wants, he will get the WR's and RB's that he wants for his system.

So explain to me again why he would leave if he's getting the QB's he wants to play in his system? None of these guys are "diamonds in the roughs" either. That being said and we still kicked your ass with an undersized and slow D LY.

7 points is not an "ass kicking."
it's a great time to be a pothead - Chicat
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

devilswin99 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
devilswin99 wrote:If RR leaves, it will be because he cannot get the high profile blue chippers he thinks he needs in Tucson that he could land in South Florida or elsewhere on the East Coast. He is great at finding diamonds in the rough (Wright) but you only have so much magic and good fortune to make that happen. Right place and right time, he will go. Arizona gave him a chance to freshen up and get that new car smell again. Time to hit the road, son!!!
First off he recruits to his system so blue chippers like Anu Solomon, followed by Devin Modster means that we're set at QB for the next 6 years? Oh wait, then you have Burmeister coming in for 2017 and lets see, all 3 QB's are blue chippers that RR wanted for his system. That's where it starts for RR because if he's got the QB he wants, he will get the WR's and RB's that he wants for his system.

So explain to me again why he would leave if he's getting the QB's he wants to play in his system? None of these guys are "diamonds in the roughs" either. That being said and we still kicked your ass with an undersized and slow D LY.

we gifted you two touchdowns BTW the benching of TK was hilarious. Total desperation move.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Answer: What is 0

Question: What is the number of minutes ASU led Arizona in the Territorial Cup

On the second Oregon game, Anu was definitely hurt, he wore a boot whenever he wasn't playing football. His confidence also suffered.
devilswin99

Post by devilswin99 »

I can understand if you beat us 58-21 let's say.....as that kinda score would be considered an "ass kicking." I think this next year will see the wrongs corrected and ASU once again lifting the Cup! How many games do you play without a break before showing up at our place?
it's a great time to be a pothead - Chicat
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

devilswin99 wrote:I can understand if you beat us 58-21 let's say.....as that kinda score would be considered an "ass kicking." I think this next year will see the wrongs corrected and ASU once again lifting the Cup! How many games do you play without a break before showing up at our place?
The only cup ASU's gonna be lifting is gonna be the one at the probation officer's drug testing center.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

devilswin99 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

When you never lead and are physically beat on both sides of the ball it's an ass kicking. Nick Wilson rushed for 178 yards on 24 carries. For those of you scoring at home that's 7.4 yards a pop. Not to mention 3 TD's. DJ Foster had 13 carries for 34 yards - is that why he's a WR now? Overall Assu had 43 carries for 113 yards. That's 2.6 yards a pop. After the Scooby forced fumble on the 3rd play of the game - Arizona was never going to lose that game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We could have put a nail in them with the first possession of the fourth and up 2 td's. We were driving and got a first down at there 45 but Jones had a hands to the face penalty and we didn't convert on a very a long third down so we punted.

The game was close only because we got a little conservative after that. It wasn't 58-21 for sure but it could have been 52- 35 pretty easily
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Steve Rivera also talked with RR:

His success at Arizona -- three consecutive bowl appearances, a 26-14 record and resurgence in a once-stagnant program -- helped regain his coaching credentials after Michigan dismissed him after three years.

"I think all that is flattering because you'd rather (leave) that way than the other way," he said, smiling. "(But) because I had been there and done that in some respects when we moved from West Virginia to Michigan, I'm probably smarter about my future. Everybody says you have to be careful because the grass isn't always greener and you have to look at that. I'm almost 52 years old and I'm not going to do this forever like Bobby Bowden (former Florida State coach) and Joe Paterno (late coach of Penn State) ... maybe 60, eight to 10 more years, that's it.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... ats-042715
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So Rhett, does he walk on at AZ or play at a lower level? Or is he that good?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

dc4azcats wrote: "...I'm almost 52 years old and I'm not going to do this forever like Bobby Bowden (former Florida State coach) and Joe Paterno (late coach of Penn State) ... maybe 60, eight to 10 more years, that's it.[/i]
Imagine that, Rich Rod turns 60 in 2023.

Full payout on his portion of Retention Fund monies is May 2022. Rhett Rodriguez last year of CFB eligibility with a RS year (assuming no other injury years) would be 2021-2022 season.

Year or two for RR to help with a successor? BTW, Rich Rod has been saying 60 was his target age to stop "HC coaching" multiple times since he's been at Arizona. Has not changed.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Well the fact that Rich Rod has stated pubically in the past and again recently that he will not coach past the age of 60, which is 8 short years from now dramatically changes my position and outlook on him leaving for greener pastures. Believe it or not I thought his love for coaching would keep him in it until a bout 65.

I had never heard him say that 60 was it or read it in print, so if its true then I now feel he'll finish his career out here.

Unless something completely out of left field that no one could envision happening like a big-time offer happening in the next year or right now, which is not going to happen, this issue is basically a dead issue for me.

8 years minimum would be the magic number for a move which is right now.

As time winds down to year 6 and then to year 4, you can forget about it.

Even at Arizona when year 4 come's around for RR and if Greg Byrne is still here, even GB and RR at that point will have to start telegraphing to future recruits to some degree that we have a very good replacement for RR waiting in the wings that will hit the deck running and keep the program on high level auto pilot.

Yep, if 60 is the magic number then worrying about Rich Rod leaving is probably so low in percentage terms its not even worth your time.

Me worrying about it from here on out is 100% over.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Well the fact that Rich Rod has stated pubically in the past and again recently that he will not coach past the age of 60, which is 8 short years from now dramatically changes my position and outlook on him leaving for greener pastures. Believe it or not I thought his love for coaching would keep him in it until a bout 65.

I had never heard him say that 60 was it or read it in print, so if its true then I now feel he'll finish his career out here.

Unless something completely out of left field that no one could envision happening like a big-time offer happening in the next year or right now, which is not going to happen, this issue is basically a dead issue for me.

Even at Arizona when year 4 come's around for RR and if Greg Byrne is still here, even GB and RR at that point will have to start telegraphing to future recruits to some degree that we have a very good replacement for RR waiting in the wings that will hit the deck running and keep the program on high level auto pilot.

Yep, if 60 is the magic number then worrying about Rich Rod leaving is probably so low in percentage terms its not even worth your time.

It does affect it but it certainly doesn't close the door. If we do well in 2015/16 and he gets an offer at age 54 to coach at a top 15 college program or in the nfl he could take it. Ride off into the sunset by proving he can win big at the highest level of college or pro football.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

short quick backswings.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:Well the fact that Rich Rod has stated pubically in the past and again recently that he will not coach past the age of 60, which is 8 short years from now dramatically changes my position and outlook on him leaving for greener pastures. Believe it or not I thought his love for coaching would keep him in it until a bout 65.

It does affect it but it certainly doesn't close the door. If we do well in 2015/16 and he gets an offer at age 54 to coach at a top 15 college program or in the nfl he could take it. Ride off into the sunset by proving he can win big at the highest level of college or pro football.
Did you even bother to read the article? How many other schools run the offense that RR runs? How many schools that he might actually consider run a similar offense? Why would he go somewhere else when he has said repeatedly that it takes 5 years for everything to really kick in with what he likes to do? Especially when you consider the defense he runs and he isn't going anywhere that doesn't allow Casteel to be the DC. That limits his choices as well.

So you're saying he will leave here in the next couple of years while his daughter is a JR at the UA. His son is graduating from HS, to a new place where he's not sure they will accept him like they do here - knowing that he doesn't want to coach much past 60? You're spot on as usual.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Your post makes no sense. Coaches only take jobs school that currently run their offense? Um not how it works.

dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

ASUHATER! wrote:Your post makes no sense. Coaches only take jobs school that currently run their offense? Um not how it works.
You're just being a jack ass but I'll play along. This is a RR thread right? You did say RR could still leave after the '15 - '16 season right? Which part of my post doesn't make sense to you?

The part where he has said publicly a million times that it takes 5 years to really reap the benefits of recruiting the right players on both sides of the ball? The part where he likes to rotate 8 WR's in a game where to a large degree he benefitted from Stoops LY here as we passed on every down so we had some decent WR depth. He also was fortunate to have Matt Scott and KaDeem which helped recruiting a QB like Anu and a RB like Nick Wilson. Because not every school has a Matt Scott and or a KaDeem when you step on campus.

Then there's the D because not every school runs a 3-3-5. So if you're like UA who ran a 4-3-4 you have to retrain your DL and have them forget everything they thought they knew about DL play. Then you have to have 3 LB's that can go sideline to sideline and you need at least one hybrid guy that you really don't even recruit if you run a traditional D. Casteel recruits that guy though because for just about every other team out there - either you can play LB or you can play in the secondary period.

So just when you're starting to hit your stride at Arizona and you're recruiting the guys you want to get you to the next level, you're going to leave to start all over somewhere else? Sure you are. He's 4 years in and will probably have his best team next season and you think he will leave? Leave with 5 years invested just to start the process all over again and once he gets to the magical 5 years he wants to retire. That makes a lot of sense, which goes back to my point of you just being a jack ass because nobody is that stupid.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Wahhhhhhh don't know who took a dump in your cheerios.

Fact is, if in 1-3 years and more success at Arizona, Florida or Clemson or Miami or auburn or the dolphins or Panthers or any other nfl team comes offering big $$..RR will absolutely, without a doubt, be very interested. Magical 5 years you hold onto or not. He'll listen and probably more than 50% likely go. Just is how the world works. You gotta at least occasionally be able to look at things logically and without you Arizona fandom blinding every opinion.

dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

ASUHATER! wrote:Wahhhhhhh don't know who took a dump in your cheerios.

Fact is, if in 1-3 years and more success at Arizona, Florida or Clemson or Miami or auburn or the dolphins or Panthers or any other nfl team comes offering big $$..RR will absolutely, without a doubt, be very interested. Magical 5 years you hold onto or not. He'll listen and probably more than 50% likely go. Just is how the world works. You gotta at least occasionally be able to look at things logically and without you Arizona fandom blinding every opinion.
Here's what you posted: It does affect it but it certainly doesn't close the door. If we do well in 2015/16 and he gets an offer at age 54 to coach at a top 15 college program or in the nfl he could take it. Ride off into the sunset by proving he can win big at the highest level of college or pro football.

If you ever and I mean ever bothered to do any research at all, instead of constantly posting stuff that you know nothing about it would certainly help. I'm not hanging on to 5 years - RR has said it publicly a million times. He talked about how Brady Hoke took Michigan to a 10-2 season in what would have been RR's 5th year there. The guy knows how long it takes for his system to take hold and to have the guys that he wants in place. Why is this so hard for you to figure out? He was upset that he didn't get the chance to finish what he started and now you think he will leave at the drop of a hat? He went to Michigan which is arguably one of the top 5-10 coaching jobs in all of college football. That worked out well. So well that he will jump right in again if the opportunity presents itself? He knows it's a crapshoot because you need guys to buy in from the get go - regardless of whether or not it's college or pros. Ask Nick Saban how that worked for him with the Dolphins? Chip Kelly? What happens if the Eagles don't make the playoffs again TY?

If RR thinks he can win here and by winning the South which is arguably the toughest division in all of College football - why would he leave? He started a RS frosh at QB and a true frosh at RB - how good are they going to be TY? Next year? How about when both are seniors? But he has to leave and go somewhere else to show that he can win at the highest level? He has the maybe the best QB recruit for his system ever coming in next year so he could continue to win at a "high level" for the next 6 years but you think he needs to leave to prove that he can win at the highest level? We were one game away from playing at the highest level - you don't think RR feels he can get back there and soon? How many teams not named Stanford have beaten Oregon 2 years in a row? That's not winning at the highest level?

So RR does well in '15/16 that would give him cause to go somewhere else to prove that what he's done at Arizona he can do somewhere else? Again, did you even bother to read the article that I posted? He says that he's learned from his past and the "grass isn't always greener on the other side". Then he says that he wants to quit coaching in his early 60's. But you say, he'll leave for the right job and the right money regardless. Florida just hired a coach and they didn't even give RR a call. Louisville did and would've paid him more but RR doesn't want to leave just for the money. Why didn't he leave for Louisville LY? Kentucky is pretty damn close to West Virginia? Auburn? No SEC school is interested in the 3-3-5. Period. Miami? A school that runs nothing on either side of the ball like Arizona and RR likes to run. So they would fire their coach, then Miami would give RR 5 years to get them turned around and competing at the highest levels? Sure they would. Not to mention that I'm not sure Miami could pay him more than the deal he currently has if he stays till 2020.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Hater,
I think you are disregarding the Michigan disaster a bit too much. Big money people at other universities are only going to be interested in RR if he dies something really big here. If he has that type of success here with top 20 or better pay, not including the golden handcuffs, why leave and start over?

He now knows the grass isn't always greener at that big job.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yawn. Won't even bother reading your drivel. All I know is if a big job comes calling in college or the nfl, RR will listen. End of story and discussion. You can make no endless posts that prove otherwise. It's over, you lost ok?

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

You've got an odd concept of 'lost'. I'm pretty sure everyone on this site, including your brother, probably thinks you lost, not DC4. But hey, keep making those strong statements of 'fact' without recognizing that everyone here knows that you know absolutely nothing.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Offseason. Meeehhhhh.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Just a hunch, but I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

DC it is not worth your time trying arguing with the Hater on this subject. If Coach Rod stays, competes for championships every year (and even wins a Rose Bowl), and retires in Tucson in 8 or 18 years, Hater will still claim that he was right because coach once listened to another school's offer.

Until there is new info, I think Coach Rod stays.

Coach Rod, his staff, and his family all enjoy living in Tucson and his only major complaint is that there are not more direct flights into Tucson to make recruit visits easier.

Coach turned down Alabama while at WVU showing he is not just about the money and the prestige of the program. He only left WVU because they did not make promised facility upgrades. He coached under the microscope at Fichigan and knows better than most coaches the disadvantages of working at high profile football schools.

Sure, Coach Rod could leave someday for a better offer. Anything is possible. But in my opinion he stays in Tucson and retires a Wildcat!

Finally, it constantly amazes me that some people believe that money is all there is to happiness. When you already have Coach Rod's money then family, working conditions, staff happiness, and lifestyle are more important than another million dollars added to the paycheck. If you don't believe me, go argue the point with Lute.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I love how all the Devils think he's leaving so soon, but TG is staying for the long haul. Their coach who was rumored to be lobbying for the Texas job and has a reputation of jumping around will deny a better job offer? Please.. RR has stated multiple times he plans to retire here. Has TG done the same?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yawn. Won't even bother reading your drivel. All I know is if a big job comes calling in college or the nfl, RR will listen. End of story and discussion. You can make no endless posts that prove otherwise. It's over, you lost ok?
You won't bother with it because you have nothing. The next post you make that has any insight whatsoever will be the first. "All I know?" Could fit in a thimble and you prove it with every post. Nice effort as usual.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

#Mancancoach. #OopsMichigan #grahamurstillhisbitch
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

azpenguin wrote:
Something important that we can take from the draft and what this tweet implies is that there was a talent gap between UA and the other Pac12 teams. The Pac12 as a whole was tied with the ACC for the conference with the most 1st round draft picks (9). And even with that gap, we were still able to win the South.

While it was disappointing, and not a surprise, that no UA players got selected, it should be somewhat encouraging that we were able to accomplish what we did without NFL draft talent.

**Props though to those Wildcats who did get picked up as Free Agents.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

In the future though it doesn't help recruiting if kids see us not having any draft picks.

TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

ASUHATER! wrote:In the future though it doesn't help recruiting if kids see us not having any draft picks.
Of course. But next year is the first year that RR's players will be draft eligible (as Juniors). And I know of at least one OKG who will be highly regarded. Baring any injury. (PLEASE GOD DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN)
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

ASUHATER! wrote:In the future though it doesn't help recruiting if kids see us not having any draft picks.
Several ways to view this. Context:

Those Arizona UDFA's this year were Stoops recruits (except Gurrola)

William Parks a good example of Rich Rod's 1st Arizona recruiting class (although hard to apply this to RR as this class signed couple months after RR hired). Parks played true freshman and a senior this season.

Trey Griffey also part of 2012 class. He Redshirted and only a RS Junior this Year.

Rich Rod historically recruits the OKG tweener. Recruit that has lots of mid-majors offers, bit undersized, speed-versatility first to be able to fit or move around at positions. Both on defense and offense. Recruits who feel slighted and have chip on their shoulder. Looks for them to buy-in with the Love not just like football and make-up where they can in weight room. Not all are tweeners, but many are.

Point is, further from NFL sized starting point.

Rich Rod historically doesn't get high number of players drafted. I assume because of scheme (heavy run, 3-3-5, tweener targets). Surprisingly, Casteel over the years has close to as many Defensive players drafted as Rich Rod's offensive players.

I don't expect that will change to a large degree while at Arizona. Recruiting philosophy adjusts, but not substantially. His schemes are his schemes. Don't expect that will change much either.

But, RR Hell of an in-game coach. Lots of staff stability. Can motivate.

Evidence: You can turn your comment around and say CTG should be embarrassed with the Draft class ASU had this year and LOST to RR. That could help recruiting too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

5 teams from the south in the top 19. Insane.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

How many scum got drafted?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Seeing how RR has only been here 3 years and none of the guys that he has recruited out of HS have entered the draft - how does this effect him? All of the guys that have been eligible the last 3 years were Stoops recruits. The more impressive stat is that in spite of only 3 guys being drafted over the last 3 years we still went 8-5, 8-5, 10-4 and a Pac 12 South Champ. That's the more impressive stat. Add in that the rest of the conference was filled with draft choices and we still won games says a lot about RR and his staff.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Meh.

Not a big fan of the way too early polls. Think it's more about clicks then anything else. 3 months ago, Schlabach listed TCU #1.
Mark Schlabach's way too early last year-post spring, he missed on half of the teams he ranked that did NOT finish in AP final 25.

Including he ranked Florida and Michigan. Also had Oklahoma and South Carolina in his top 10.

How can any poll at this point be realistically accurate?
Phil Steele released his poll today and didn't even have arizona in top25. He did list 3 P12 south teams (USC, UCLA, ASU - also Ore and Stan)
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Now that the draft is complete, take a look at this as a matter of contrast:

Stanford: 6 players taken in the draft, the most in the Pac12
2014 record, 5-4 in conference, 8-5 overall

UA: no players drafted, started freshmen and walk-ons, RR 3rd year as HC
2014 record, 7-2 in conference, 10-4 overall, Pac12 South champs

Are there still RR doubters out there, (expert) second guessers about RR's recruiting, Casteel's scheme, etc? Would love to hear about it. Shaw is not a bad coach, btw, just obviously not in RR's league (figurative).
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:How many scum got drafted?
4, all in the first 4 rounds

boat343

Post by boat343 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
4 first rounders and they got beat head-to-head for the conference title by a team with no players taken in the whole draft!?! That is deplorable!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

boat343 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
4 first rounders and they got beat head-to-head for the conference title by a team with no players taken in the whole draft!?! That is deplorable!
No, 4 in the first 4 rounds. 4 out of the first 136 picks.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
Several ways to view this. Context:

Those Arizona UDFA's this year were Stoops recruits (except Gurrola)

William Parks a good example of Rich Rod's 1st Arizona recruiting class (although hard to apply this to RR as this class signed couple months after RR hired). Parks played true freshman and a senior this season.

Trey Griffey also part of 2012 class. He Redshirted and only a RS Junior this Year.

Rich Rod historically recruits the OKG tweener. Recruit that has lots of mid-majors offers, bit undersized, speed-versatility first to be able to fit or move around at positions. Both on defense and offense. Recruits who feel slighted and have chip on their shoulder. Looks for them to buy-in with the Love not just like football and make-up where they can in weight room. Not all are tweeners, but many are.

Point is, further from NFL sized starting point.

Rich Rod historically doesn't get high number of players drafted. I assume because of scheme (heavy run, 3-3-5, tweener targets). Surprisingly, Casteel over the years has close to as many Defensive players drafted as Rich Rod's offensive players.

I don't expect that will change to a large degree while at Arizona. Recruiting philosophy adjusts, but not substantially. His schemes are his schemes. Don't expect that will change much either.

But, RR Hell of an in-game coach. Lots of staff stability. Can motivate.

Evidence: You can turn your comment around and say CTG should be embarrassed with the Draft class ASU had this year and LOST to RR. That could help recruiting too.
This. All of this. A real indication of Stoops final years.

Plus, many of UA's key players last season - Anu, Wilson, Scooby, Turituri, Cayleb Jones, Samajie Grant, most of the CB depth - were all underclassmen.

I wasn't surprised that 0 UA guys were drafted, and no one else should have been surprised either. Hill, Bondo, Gurrola, Baucus and Ebbelle are free agent-types, and should get chances, but that's it.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
boat343

Post by boat343 »

azgreg wrote:
boat343 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
No, 4 in the first 4 rounds. 4 out of the first 136 picks.
Oh, haha! Totally misread that!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good Bickley column at azcentral on Coach Rod.
"Our guys are pretty excited, too," Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez said. "We have a lot of confidence. And even though last season didn't end the way we wanted, our guys got a taste of it. There's no reason why we can't win another (Pac-12) South title."

Rodriguez is the wild card in what might be the toughest division in college football. He has one of the most innovative minds in the game. His career comeback is one of the better stories in the nation. For the first time in four years at UA, he will have a returning quarterback (Anu Solomon) to work with.

. . .

Rodriguez was demonstrably angry in the post-game conference following the loss to Boise State, and some thought it a show of poor sportsmanship. I saw a guy burning to reach the top once again, only to lose his footing near the apex, and privately vowing to never let that happen again.

"I don't think we played nearly as well as we could have, in the championship game and the bowl game," he said. "That falls on me."

. . .

Rodriguez is also challenging himself. He is one of the forefathers of the spread offense and one of the best at self-scouting his own operation, using his own intellect to detect his own weaknesses. He feels compelled to spawn something new and visionary, to push the envelope even further.

"It's such a competitive profession," Rodriguez said. "More and more people are doing the same things we're doing. We're not as different as we were 10 years ago. So how do we separate ourselves? We can give us an edge? I spend a lot of time thinking about that. And I tend to think outside-the-box more than most coaches."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Rodriguez was demonstrably angry in the post-game conference following the loss to Boise State, and some thought it a show of poor sportsmanship

Poor sportsmanship? I don't get that. All successful coaches hate to lose.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Bickley bullshit Merk. ASSU honk and a giant dick weed
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Bickley is such a clown. Everytime he writes a UA piece, he always has to somehow intertwine the obligatory compliments to graham into it. Bickley literally makes up 'plots' or 'storylines' in his head......and then pushes that theme EVERYTIME he talks/writes about the UofA. For example.......

Bickley thinks he has unearthed this huge undercurrent of a serious problem for Arizona keeping Miller and Rodriguez. He likes to beat like a dead horse.....the fact that Spring Training has left Tucson, the PGA has left, means that Tucson is drying up as a 'sports market'. And because of this, Miller and Rodriguez will soon want to not be associated with a 'small time' town. Everytime I hear him talking about this on KTAR, I want to reach through my radio and punch him in the teeth. Just an absolutely idiotic assertion, on so many different levels. And he continues to push this.....again and again.