Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Rich Rod

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah because Nick Saban and Tom Izzo and jimbo Fisher are desperate to leave their small time towns since they don't have major league sports.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

yep. if anything, it is a positive in that the city of Tucson 100% revolves around the University from a sports perspective.

I'm sure Sean Miller lays awake at night and thinks, 'you know....I was thinking before that I wanted to be in Tucson for the long haul and try to go to multiple Final Fours and win a championship or two here. But now that the Sox and D-Backs don't train at Kino anymore.....I need to start looking around at other jobs'.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASSu fans hate Dickley as well.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

azgreg wrote:ASSu fans hate Dickley as well.
Yup. ASU fans want to punch him in the teeth when he gargles Byrne's balls and talks about how UofA is winning the Phoenix market, and thinks that ASU fans should be cheering for the Cats in the NCAA tournament.

Professional pot-stirrer, as most of them are, he's just a bit more ham-fisted about it than others.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Arizona 2014 total stats from Phil Steele blog https://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/J ... uly01.html
Plays: 1139
Yards: 9037
TDs: 55

When Winning
Plays: 38.6%
Yards: 45.7%
TDs: 41.8%

When Tied
Plays: 13.1%
Yards: 16.1%
TDs: 20%

When losing
Plays: 48.2%
Yards: 38.2%
TDs: 38.2%

This information can tell you who has a better season (Teams with the highest "when winning" or often winning more games), but some interesting information non-the-less.

I did a quick search and it seems that Arizona has the highest "when losing" percentages of any team with more than 8 wins. Arizona also is the only team that has more plays when losing than when winning and have a record of 9+ wins. I wonder what this says about a RR coached team.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think it meant we played alot from behind and won most of those close games (UTSA, Cal, Oregon, UDub, ASSU)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Jennings at espn blog with a story on the best wins of each south coach in conference. Here is Coach Rod's:
Rich Rodriguez | 10/2/2014 | Arizona 31, Oregon 24

By no means did Arizona accomplish every goal it had last season, but knocking off No. 2 Oregon on the road was certainly a great victory, and the best of Rodriguez’s Arizona career. Yes, he accomplished the same feat in 2013, but as the adage goes: It’s hard to get to the top and even harder to stay there. And we’re not saying that Arizona got to the top with this victory (because Oregon handed it back to them in the Pac-12 title game), but to come out and back up the 2013 performance -- especially considering the Wildcats were undefeated heading into this game -- with another dominant victory was a huge statement to the entire conference, and it was probably a harder feat than coming out and surprising the Ducks the season before.
I'm not sure if the 2013 or 2014 Oregon victory was the best win. I lean toward 2013 just because it was a much bigger upset.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:In the future though it doesn't help recruiting if kids see us not having any draft picks.
Of course. But next year is the first year that RR's players will be draft eligible (as Juniors). And I know of at least one OKG who will be highly regarded. Baring any injury. (PLEASE GOD DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN)
Do NOT say that name and the words 'draft eligible' in the same post for at least 18 months.

Just make sure you keep your fingers under control when typing.

OK?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

ANGCatFan wrote:Jennings at espn blog with a story on the best wins of each south coach in conference. Here is Coach Rod's:

By no means did Arizona accomplish every goal it had last season, but knocking off No. 2 Oregon on the road was certainly a great victory, and the best of Rodriguez’s Arizona career. Yes, he accomplished the same feat in 2013, but as the adage goes: It’s hard to get to the top and even harder to stay there. And we’re not saying that Arizona got to the top with this victory (because Oregon handed it back to them in the Pac-12 title game), but to come out and back up the 2013 performance -- especially considering the Wildcats were undefeated heading into this game -- with another dominant victory was a huge statement to the entire conference, and it was probably a harder feat than coming out and surprising the Ducks the season before.
I'm not sure if the 2013 or 2014 Oregon victory was the best win. I lean toward 2013 just because it was a much bigger upset.
I go back and forth on this one, but I lean towards the 2014 game. They went into Autzen with a freshman backfield and beat the eventual Heisman winner and national runner up. The first one was a huge upset, the second one wasn't as big an upset but it was a big statement.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

IMO last year was much bigger. They were flat in the previous year, and we were coming off a bad loss that had us very motivated.

They had revenge on their mind and it was a Thursday ESPN game. The level of difficulty was huge, yet we controlled them from the start. Too bad we could not duplicate that in the championship game
prh

Post by prh »

OSUCat wrote:Arizona 2014 total stats from Phil Steele blog https://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/J ... uly01.html

When Winning

When Tied

When losing

This information can tell you who has a better season (Teams with the highest "when winning" or often winning more games), but some interesting information non-the-less.

I did a quick search and it seems that Arizona has the highest "when losing" percentages of any team with more than 8 wins. Arizona also is the only team that has more plays when losing than when winning and have a record of 9+ wins. I wonder what this says about a RR coached team.
Really interesting to see how many plays we ran when behind. Here's another thing: look at the yardage percents compared to play percents. Yards per play are way down when losing compared to when winning. Is this to be expected? I've never been totally in tune with football metrics like this.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

prh wrote:
OSUCat wrote:Arizona 2014 total stats from Phil Steele blog https://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/J ... uly01.html

When Winning

When Tied

When losing

Really interesting to see how many plays we ran when behind. Here's another thing: look at the yardage percents compared to play percents. Yards per play are way down when losing compared to when winning. Is this to be expected? I've never been totally in tune with football metrics like this.
Well if our yards per play were higher we probably wouldn't be losing.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan wrote:Jennings at espn blog with a story on the best wins of each south coach in conference. Here is Coach Rod's:

So, espn picks the 2013 loss as Oregon's worst loss. You could have the same discussion we had on Arizona's best win. Was it worse when they were surprised in Tucson by a team who played an almost perfect game or when they lost again at home when they wanted revenge.
Mark Hefrich | 11/23/2013 | Arizona 42, Oregon 16

Considering Helfrich and the Ducks have lost four games in his two years as coach -- one played for the national title -- there's not a long list to choose from. In fact, just about everyone is going, "Which Arizona loss will he choose?" Well, we're going with the first one, even though the second one was in Autzen Stadium and seemed more shocking in many ways. While some might write off the Ducks' only blowout defeat since 2008 on a prolonged hangover from the loss to Stanford two weeks earlier, this was the only time during the Ducks' six-year rise that they simply didn't show up. As a live witness to this shocking game, I remember constantly thinking, "Who the heck are these guys?" The story in the week leading up to the game was players saying they weren't excited about the possibility of playing in the Rose Bowl, so this one also smacked of karma from the Granddaddy.
FightWildcatsFight

I'm reading Three and Out right now and I'm convinced Rich Rod couldn't be at a better spot than here in Arizona. I don't think the allure of the bright lights at a traditional football school will ever be a distraction for him now, after experiencing what he has gone through. I know this is an old topic but the book made me really grateful for our situation right now.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Pac-12 coaching hot seat ratings: South

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... ings-south

Rich Rodriguez, Arizona

Hot seat rating: 1

Rodriguez won the South last year and has overachieved based on the talent he inherited in Tucson. The general consensus is the program is on a decided uptick. On the downside, the Fiesta Bowl was a bummer, and Todd Graham's success at Arizona State means fans will be on edge annually comparing the relative success of the rival programs. Still, for most Wildcats fans, the chief worry is Rodriguez leaving for another job, not him failing to win.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Not sure if there is a better thread for this, but espn blog has an analysis of P12 offensive coordinator salaries.
Colorado's Brian Lindgren | $227,500 per win

Cal's Tony Franklin | $110,000 per win

Arizona State's Mike Norvell | $90,000 per win

Oregon State's Dave Baldwin | $87,000 per win

UCLA's Noel Mazzone | $76,000 per win

Washington's Jonathan Smith | $53,125.50 per win

Utah's Jim Harding and Aaron Roderick | $44,444.44 per win

Arizona's Calvin Magee | $40,000 per win

Oregon's Scott Frost | $30,769.23 per win

Arizona's Rod Smith | $29,000 per win
They got their data from coachingsearch.com:
Salary:
Mike Norvell (Arizona State) - $900,000
Noel Mazzone (UCLA) - $760,000
Tony Franklin (Cal) - $550,000
Brian Lindgren (Colorado) - $455,000
Dave Baldwin (Oregon State) - $435,000
Jonathan Smith (Washington) - $425,004
Calvin Magee (Arizona) - $400,000
Scott Frost (Oregon) - $400,000
Jim Harding (Utah) - $400,000
Aaron Roderick (Utah) - $400,000
Rod Smith (Arizona) - $290,000
Mike Bloomgren (Stanford) - N/A
Clay Helton (USC) - N/A

PPG as offensive coordinator in 2014:
Scott Frost (Oregon) - 45.4
Tony Franklin (Cal) - 38.3
Mike Norvell (Arizona State) - 36.9
Clay Helton (USC) - 35.8
Calvin Magee and Rod Smith (Arizona) - 34.5
Dave Baldwin (Oregon State) - 33.9 at Colorado State
Noel Mazzone (UCLA) - 33.5
Mike Leach (Washington State) - 31.8
Jonathan Smith (Washington) - 30.2
Brian Lindgren (Colorado) - 28.5
Mike Bloomgren (Stanford) - 27.2
Jim Harding and Aaron Roderick (Utah) - N/A
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ASSU is paying there OC almost a million? That is very surprising to me. Anyone know how much there pool is to pay there assistants compared to our pool?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

azcat49 wrote:ASSU is paying there OC almost a million? That is very surprising to me. Anyone know how much there pool is to pay there assistants compared to our pool?
ASSU Assistants Pool
$3.1 million

AZ Assistants Pool
$2.5 million

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... /assistant
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is that ABOR or the UA AD making the decision on how much we have to pay assistants?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thx Razor and Chi, that was my exact thought. Just makes it easier to hate those mo fo's
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I really hope its the AD.. ABOR has favored the team up north a little too much and it would piss me off to see that. Especially because Madonna is getting paid more than RR and keeps getting raises.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

A couple of very short Coach Rod videos from his visit to the Diamondbacks.

The snippet I found revealing is that coach is still close friends with Ken Kendrick, the Diamondbacks owner. Kendrick was a big booster at WVU and when boosters still support you after you leave it means you left in the right way.
FightWildcatsFight

Interesting story about Todd Graham and RR, mostly about Graham though. Still a good read.
Beaty then shared a fascinating story of how he learned the spread offense, which is equal parts “Where are they now?” and a lesson on paying it forward. As a former high school football coach in the Dallas-Fort Worth area himself, newly minted West Virginia linebackers coach Todd Graham was assigned by his new boss, Rich Rodriguez, to recruit DFW. That led to Beaty, a first-time head coach at a struggling North Dallas program, to plead Graham to teach him the ins and outs of Rodriguez’s revolutionary and, at the time, little-known spread attack.

“The first guy that gave me a chance to work in college football was a guy named Todd Graham,” Beaty said. “I met Todd Graham when I was the head coach at North Dallas High School. That was a tough job. That was a really tough job. He came by one day and we literally sat there for about 30 minutes and I said, ‘Hey Todd, I’ve got $200 in my bank account. I’ll give you every bit of that if you’ll sit here with me for two hours and teach me what you learned from Rich Rodriguez.’ (Graham) was the first to bring that spread offense down to Texas. He was a Texas high school coach at Allen and I was at Garland, we played against one another. He spent three days with me, and that friendship spawned from there. That’s what you do. He spent three days with the guy at arguably one of the most challenged programs in the state of Texas when he should have been at Garland or Allen or one of those other places. He spent it with me, and that’s what makes those guys unique and special. That’s where I learned it and fell in love with it.”
http://footballscoop.com/news/david-bea ... ant-thing/
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So that is where Fraud Graham learned to work with the highest bidder for his services. Should of held out for more than $200 though
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Fun Friday Fizz from Gary Randazzo on his favorite games in the Coach Rod era.

I didn't enjoy the 2012 Ucla loss nearly as much as Randazzo did.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

FightWildcatsFight

ANGCatFan wrote:Ted Miller pick Coach Rod as the best coach in the P12 on the Podcast of Champions. Lots of talk about Coach at the 45 min mark.
He also picked us to finish 5th in the south.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Hank Hobson hired as a grad assistant. BJ Denker is heading to Texas A&M as a GA.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RR killed it today. Transcripts from the interview.

http://static.pac-12.com/sports/footbal ... riguez.pdf
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ANGCatFan

Re: Coach Rod

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good Javier Morales on Arizona coaches in their 4th year at All Sports Tucson.

It has some interesting info,
Rodriguez is the 11th Arizona coach to enter a fourth season. An incredible 17 have not made it that far.
analysis of historic Arizona coaching trends,
So the three-step rags-to-riches rotation is obvious …

Darrell Mudra to Bob Weber to Jim Young.

Tony Mason to Larry Smith to Dick Tomey.

(NAME DELETED with extreme prejudice) to Mike Stoops to Rich Rodriguez
plus a reminder of who was redshirting during Stoops final year.
The four scholarship players who remain: Jared Baker, running back; Reggie Gilbert, defensive end; Lene Maiava, offensive lineman; and David Richards, wide receiver.

Three other redshirt seniors — safety Johnny Jackson, linebacker Sir Thomas Jackson and punter Drew Riggleman — started their careers as walk-ons.
Gilbert is the only player who got on the field before Coach Rod arrived. He played 6 games in 2011 (with no tackles or other stats) before being injured and lost for the year.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

ANGCatFan wrote:Ted Miller pick Coach Rod as the best coach in the P12 on the Podcast of Champions. Lots of talk about Coach at the 45 min mark.
A few days later on that podcast Bruce Feldman said the same thing.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RichRod embodies the concept of everyone pulling in the same direction. Now if we could only get CSM to do the stanky leg......
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Here is the highlight in GIF form.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dudek is the best out of all of them!

Oh, and in case anyone cared what Scum Dick thinks...
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Chicat wrote:Dudek is the best out of all of them!

Oh, and in case anyone cared what Scum Dick thinks...
Hhahaha. I was just coming here to post this. First the western-tombstoneish theme, now this? Clearly I am out of touch though. I guess watching your coach do the dougie (or whatever the fuck he is doing) is going to absolutely crush it in recruiting.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If praying with recruits to implore Jesus to provide them the guidance to choose ASU doesn't work out, maybe Madonna MicWristbands should try a little YouTube dancing.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So much better with the sound muted
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Remember @ TOS when SDD claimed he wasn't a Scum Devil fan?

Good times.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Remember @ TOS when SDD claimed he wasn't a Scum Devil fan?

Good times.
Yep, that was my first thought. He is so embarrassed of his school that hew won't even admit to being a fan.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Coach Rod talks about what he found when he came to Arizona to SiriusXM.
“I can remember the first meeting, I met with all the kids in December, I think they were 4-8 and didn’t go to a bowl game. So I met with every player and said, ‘Talk to me about how you like it at Arizona.’ To a man, they all liked Arizona, liked the school. I said, ‘Well, what do you feel about being 4-8?’ They said, ‘Well, we were disappointed, but we really like school here.’ I thought, the good thing is, they still like school. The bad thing is they’re OK with 4-8. “

As Rodriguez says, you can’t have players who like football. They have to love it, and the coach only wanted players who loved it.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

FightWildcatsFight

I had a dream about Rich Rod last night. That is all.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:I had a dream about Rich Rod last night. That is all.
Did it have a happy ending?
boat343

Post by boat343 »

ScummyDickDouglas wrote: Hhahaha. I was just coming here to post this. First the western-tombstoneish theme, now this? Clearly I am out of touch though. I guess watching your coach do the dougie (or whatever the fuck he is doing) is going to absolutely crush it in recruiting.
I'd much rather have a coach doing the "dougie" than have a phony blow hard who has as much integrity and honesty as a Jim Baker sermon. I guess Eletise saw right through that play on religion recruiting pitch. Classy as f$%&....

Maybe you two could go don cammies together and talk about how asu is gonna win 13 consecutive national championships. That is if he doesn't up and leave and text your team "later suckers" when he decides to bounce (maybe asu recruits should ask Pitt players if they should believe anything Graham says). He's done that what, 3 times now?

Does anyone else notice how everytime RichRod and Graham do a segment together on ESPN Graham is blowing RichRod, talking about how much respect he has for him while RichRod has zero comments back, other than saying something like "well, we're not gonna go vacation together..." Your coach is a stump sized tool who is the biggest joke in college football. Give Britney her microphone back, dude.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

LOL boat, great post. I give Graham much respect for his exactness and attention to detail, he is a really good coach but, he is really easy to hate, even without being scum
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

All four were big-splash hires who received national attention. Rodriguez and Leach were resurrecting their careers after complicated terminations, Rodriguez at Michigan and Leach at Texas Tech. Mora was a career NFL coach who made an unexpected leap into the college game. Graham's move to Tempe, Arizona, received attention mostly because he was bolting Pittsburgh after a single season with only a text message to his players, a move that seemed to confirm him as a self-centered climber in the industry.
Love to see Graham's past referenced again. And again. And again... :)

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... igh-honors
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy