Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Scummy Dick Douglas

Re: Coach Rod

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

boat343 wrote:
ScummyDickDouglas wrote: Hhahaha. I was just coming here to post this. First the western-tombstoneish theme, now this? Clearly I am out of touch though. I guess watching your coach do the dougie (or whatever the fuck he is doing) is going to absolutely crush it in recruiting.
I'd much rather have a coach doing the "dougie" than have a phony blow hard who has as much integrity and honesty as a Jim Baker sermon. I guess Eletise saw right through that play on religion recruiting pitch. Classy as f$%&....

TG has won many more recruiting battles with RR than he has lost at ASU. Eletise is a great pickup for UA, but he is a guard. Not exactly the hardest position to fill with quality, big bodies (unless you are UA apparently). Keenan Walker is a far more valuable impact player, assuming he ever makes it to campus.

Maybe you two could go don cammies together and talk about how asu is gonna win 13 consecutive national championships. That is if he doesn't up and leave and text your team "later suckers" when he decides to bounce (maybe asu recruits should ask Pitt players if they should believe anything Graham says). He's done that what, 3 times now?

ASU fans have been hearing Graham is leaving for 4 years now. Most fans believe that if he does leave, that will have meant he really set ASU up well, (which he is doing). Back to back 10 win seasons, the best record of any of the South coaches since he was hired, (and he didn't need to schedule a bunch of high school teams early in the season to pad his record), a $300m+ overhaul of the stadium and football facilities, great recruiting, etc. Speaking of Pitt players, ASU's best CB (another ASU DB you will see get drafted this year) Lloyd Carrington, followed Graham from Pitt. One of Graham's biggest donors at ASU is a Pitt alumni who continued to support him even after the move. Have you ever considered that if Graham was not an excellent coach, why are Pitt fans and alumni mad at his leaving to this day? The anger they still show is reflective of a dumpster fire of a program knowing they lost a great coach. Since both RR and TG arrived in AZ, we have heard far more talk about RR possibly jumping ship than we have TG.

Does anyone else notice how everytime RichRod and Graham do a segment together on ESPN Graham is blowing RichRod, talking about how much respect he has for him while RichRod has zero comments back, other than saying something like "well, we're not gonna go vacation together..." Your coach is a stump sized tool who is the biggest joke in college football. Give Britney her microphone back, dude.
Revisionist history. Try actually watching the interview with the two of them together. They generally had about the exact same number of compliments for each other. You just have to listen carefully. RR loves to hear himself talk, so it is easy to miss the actual content. http://www.foxsports910.com/onair/the-d ... n-13808265

Graham is the king of annoying hyperbole. You won't get much argument from me there. But keep in mind, that "stump sized tool" has a better head-to head-record, better conference record, better overall record (and that happened without scheduling the sisters of the poor for all OOC games), and he has out recruited your dancing coach. I think RR and TG are easily the two best coaches in PAC. Looking back at 2011, I think ASU, UA, and UCLA all made the perfect hires for their respective programs. Mora is a great fit to deal with the personalities and pressures of a program in LA, (a program always in the shadow of SC). RR is great for UA because its a basketball school and does not have the pressure of high football expectations, so his system and style of play are a perfect fit. TG is great for ASU because they needed someone to actually build the program. ASU desperately needed someone to give attention to all the finite details and really connect with the fan base. TG has done that.

There is a legitimate argument to made for RR being the best coach in the conference given the level of talent he has and the number of wins he has gotten out of said talent. UA basically has two, maybe three players that would be highly sought after on other PAC 12 south rosters, (save for CU, they need everyone). Though to be fair, that might be by design. RR has always recruited kids that don't necessarily fit the mold of most top tier D1 programs.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASU fans are funny with the 'basketball school' schtick.

Let's be clear: basketball's success does not limit our expectations of success for the football program. It may make us feel better than other less fortunate fans when the success in football does not happen, but that's no excuse for the program, and thus the pressure is similar between our similarly under-performing programs.

Granted, ASU fans probably feel worse after yet another insignificant football season, just because they have nothing else to look forward to till September.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

People love RichRod because he is an immensely entertaining interview, is an offensive genius (pretty much innovating the offense that more teams than ever are employing: "We were Oregon before Oregon."), never exaggerates his team's abilities/expectations, and is able to win with pretty much anybody behind center. College football is supposed to be entertaining, and he makes it that more than any coach out there.

Graham better win, because he is none of the things I just listed. You criticize our OOC schedule and yet say nothing about the team RR inherited. Has ASU ever had to play 5 walk-ons on defense? Talk about building a program?! RR won the South with two freshmen at the key offensive positions. He also defeated Madonna in the most important game these teams have played in decades, 42-35. Be more than happy for you to have the other two wins so long as we got that one.

People think ASU will be better than Arizona after losing your QB and the only receiver on the field who scares us? We have the best receiving corps in the conference (and one of the best in the nation), a top running back returning and a QB who is ready to improve on his record-setting first year. We have the best defensive player in the nation, a monster group of other linebackers, a much improved defensive line, and athletes everywhere in the secondary. Our O-line? No worries at all. It's not like RR had NFL caliber o-linemen before anyway. He doesn't need them, but the line is improving.

I am glad you are a fan of Graham. He is a better coach than I thought. I will give you that. However, never in a million years would I want him over RR.

Did I mention 42-35?

Go Cats!!
Scummy Dick Douglas

The four coaches hired before the '12 season:

Rich Rodriguez, 26-14, 15-12, Pac-12 South 2014

Todd Graham, 28-12, 19-8, Pac-12 South 2013

Jim Mora, 29-11, 18-9, Pac-12 South 2012

Mike Leach, 12-25, 7-20.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

I still kind of hate seeing that '42-35' score because it never should've been that close. Todd was just classic 'Graham' after the game with his comments about the devils own mistakes costing them the game:

Arizona mistakes:
- Anu, totally unpressured, fumbles a snap in front of our own goal line and gifts asu 7 points
- DaVonte, totally unpressured, drops a punt backed up close to our end zone and gifts asu 7 points
Gifted points for asu: 14

Arizona State's 'mistakes':
- Taylor Kelly fumbles on the opening drive, when he's massacred from behind by Scooby.....FORCED by Arizona
- Peyton Brady....I mean, Mike Bercovici (sorry, living in Phoenix and listening to the local media and asu fans, I'm being told that Bercovici walks on water and is the perfect QB) throws a pick to Grandon. Defense on that play had a little something to do with it
***I will add the one thing that devil worshipers never mention from that game, is that Berco would've had a 2nd interception to McCall, if not for the laughably absurd hands to the face penalty on Zellers that had zero impact on the play itself***

But whatever, victory is still sweet.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Catstatic wrote:People love RichRod because he is an immensely entertaining interview, is an offensive genius (pretty much innovating the offense that more teams than ever are employing: "We were Oregon before Oregon."), never exaggerates his team's abilities/expectations, and is able to win with pretty much anybody behind center. College football is supposed to be entertaining, and he makes it that more than any coach out there.

Graham better win, because he is none of the things I just listed. You criticize our OOC schedule and yet say nothing about the team RR inherited. Has ASU ever had to play 5 walk-ons on defense? No, because TG and his staff recruit very well. That said, one of the top tacklers on the team (Jordan Simone) is a walk on. Though I don't necessarily think that is a good thing given he is a safety. Talk about building a program?! RR won the South with two freshmen at the key offensive positions. ASU replaced almost its entire defense and still almost won the South. 4 true freshman and a walk on carried much of the load on defense last season. He also defeated Madonna in the most important game these teams have played in decades, 42-35. Be more than happy for you to have the other two wins so long as we got that one. That might be true for UA, because ASU had already wrapped up the South before that 58-21 stomping. If you polled ASU fans today, I think you might be surprised to find that the value of beating UA has diminished. ASU is increasingly focused on beating the LA schools, because most years beating them is key to winning the South. While RR will put together competitive teams, the talent levels on his rosters will never be a real threat at winning the conference or Rose Bowls.

People think ASU will be better than Arizona after losing your QB and the only receiver on the field who scares us? Bercovici showed that he was simply better than Taylor Kelly last season. Graham made a mistake ever putting Kelly back in the starter role. And losing Strong is a huge blow, no doubt. But Bercovici actually distributes the football and has an elite arm. Kelly was horrible on deep passes and didn't have good arm strength. Further more, he pretty much zoned in on Strong and Foster. Kelly's real advantage was his threat to run, which helped with the zone-read. How ASU adapts to a QB who is a pocket passer remains to be seen. We have the best receiving corps in the conference (and one of the best in the nation), a top running back returning and a QB who is ready to improve on his record-setting first year. Anu Solomon was exposed the last couple games of the season. We have the best defensive player in the nation True statement, a monster group of other linebackers Not true., a much improved defensive line Hard not to improve from what it was., and athletes everywhere in the secondary. Our O-line? No worries at all. It's not like RR had NFL caliber o-linemen before anyway. He doesn't need them, but the line is improving.

I am glad you are a fan of Graham. He is a better coach than I thought. I will give you that. However, never in a million years would I want him over RR.

Did I mention 42-35?

Go Cats!!
Scummy Dick Douglas

HaCats wrote:I still kind of hate seeing that '42-35' score because it never should've been that close. Todd was just classic 'Graham' after the game with his comments about the devils own mistakes costing them the game:

Arizona mistakes:
- Anu, totally unpressured, fumbles a snap in front of our own goal line and gifts asu 7 points
- DaVonte, totally unpressured, drops a punt backed up close to our end zone and gifts asu 7 points
Gifted points for asu: 14

Arizona State's 'mistakes':
- Taylor Kelly fumbles on the opening drive, when he's massacred from behind by Scooby.....FORCED by Arizona
- Peyton Brady....I mean, Mike Bercovici (sorry, living in Phoenix and listening to the local media and asu fans, I'm being told that Bercovici walks on water and is the perfect QB) throws a pick to Grandon. Defense on that play had a little something to do with it
***I will add the one thing that devil worshipers never mention from that game, is that Berco would've had a 2nd interception to McCall, if not for the laughably absurd hands to the face penalty on Zellers that had zero impact on the play itself***

When ASU won the South, they were clearly the best team in the South. They swept both LA schools, absolutely destroyed their rivals in a meaningless game because they had clinched the division the week before. ASU then lost in the CCG by 24 pts.

UA basically backed into winning the South. They got swept by both LA schools, beat their rivals by a single score and even then needed a massive egg to be laid by UCLA against Stanford. UA then lost in the CCG by 38 pts. All of that together probably explains why you guys don't get much respect in the polls this year. No one really thinks you were the best team in the South last year. But hey, you won it. Enjoy it.

But whatever, victory is still sweet.
Last edited by Scummy Dick Douglas on Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You really need to learn to use the quote feature. It shouldn't be that hard, even for a Scummie.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Scummy Dick Douglas

Puerco wrote:ASU fans are funny with the 'basketball school' schtick.

Let's be clear: basketball's success does not limit our expectations of success for the football program. It may make us feel better than other less fortunate fans when the success in football does not happen, but that's no excuse for the program, and thus the pressure is similar between our similarly under-performing programs.

Granted, ASU fans probably feel worse after yet another insignificant football season, just because they have nothing else to look forward to till September.
Replacing pretty much the entire starting defense and still winning 10 games is an insignificant season? I was wrong, you guys do have high expectations. And no, your expectations are very much limited in football. In basketball you EXPECT to be in the final four every year. In football, you HOPE to make a Rose Bowl once in your life time. HUGE difference in expectations. I would say that makes you a basketball school, and there is nothing wrong with that.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:

Replacing pretty much the entire starting defense and still winning 10 games is an insignificant season? I was wrong, you guys do have high expectations. And no, your expectations are very much limited in football. In basketball you EXPECT to be in the final four every year. In football, you HOPE to make a Rose Bowl once in your life time. HUGE difference in expectations. I would say that makes you a basketball school, and there is nothing wrong with that.
And what is ASSU a Womans Basketball school?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

The "basketball school" schtick is tired and outdated. That was a very different era under previous administrations. Greg Byrne is in charge now and the AD's commitment to football is unquestionable. Arizona is competing in one of the toughest divisions in CFB with an elite HC. That "basketball school" only nonsense is fading pretty quick, or you're just not paying attention.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Haven't you heard, AssU is a hockey school.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Wow, so many ridiculous arguments and so little time. You actually think Solomon was exposed in the last few games. Keep believing that. He beat you with a bum ankle his freshman year.

The game wasn't nearly as close as the score. We shot ourselves in the foot with two of the worst plays all year (Solomon's fumble at the 3 and Neal muffing the punt at the 10 near the end of the first half). We were driving in the 4th to go up 3 scores and the officials call a hands to the face on our wide receiver on a freaking' running play up the middle for a first down. Takes us back 15 yards and we end up having to give the ball back to ASU. That call kept you in the game.

ASU is focusing on the LA schools? Good. You can watch them finish behind us as well.

Backed in winning the south? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am so excited to see how Madonna and his group does against Oregon. We beat them twice in a row, once at their place, both times with Mariotta. Did we get destroyed in the championship game. Yes. Of course, with Anu hurt and the offense unable to even get first downs, it was only a matter of time before our defense wore out.

UCLA laid an egg? Ever heard of Stanford? They have been known to play some pretty good football. Wouldn't expect anything less from a Madonna follower. He gives no respect when he loses, so why should you?

42-35, 42-35, 42-35, 42-35 ... Get the picture? Being classless losers makes the victory even sweeter. Thanks!

Have fun against Oregon! At least you don't have to face Mariotta. I'm sure the derbils will be fine.

Go Cats!!
Scummy Dick Douglas

3goggles wrote:

And what is ASSU a Womans Basketball school?
Clearly, ASU is a football school. The type of school you are is determined by the expectations you place and money you spend on a particular sport. Its pretty clear that at ASU, football is where the expectations and money are.
krissyp

Post by krissyp »

Yes CLEARLY assu is a football school...So much so, it only took you 5 tries and then you finally landed your dream coach.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scummy Dick Douglas

Catstatic wrote:Wow, so many ridiculous arguments and so little time. You actually think Solomon was exposed in the last few games. Keep believing that. He beat you with a bum ankle his freshman year.

The game wasn't nearly as close as the score. We shot ourselves in the foot with two of the worst plays all year (Solomon's fumble at the 3 and Neal muffing the punt at the 10 near the end of the first half). We were driving in the 4th to go up 3 scores and the officials call a hands to the face on our wide receiver on a freaking' running play up the middle for a first down. Takes us back 15 yards and we end up having to give the ball back to ASU. That call kept you in the game.

ASU is focusing on the LA schools? Good. You can watch them finish behind us as well.

Backed in winning the south? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am so excited to see how Madonna and his group does against Oregon. We beat them twice in a row, once at their place, both times with Mariotta. Did we get destroyed in the championship game. Yes. Of course, with Anu hurt and the offense unable to even get first downs, it was only a matter of time before our defense wore out.

UCLA laid an egg? Ever heard of Stanford? They have been known to play some pretty good football. Wouldn't expect anything less from a Madonna follower. He gives no respect when he loses, so why should you?

42-35, 42-35, 42-35, 42-35 ... Get the picture? Being classless losers makes the victory even sweeter. Thanks!

Have fun against Oregon! At least you don't have to face Mariotta. I'm sure the derbils will be fine.

Go Cats!!
You think my view is an ASU viewpoint of your season? The whole country doesn't take you seriously dude. There is a reason UA returns as much "talent" as it does and is still picked to finish 4th or 5th in the South. Lost to UCLA and USC, still win's the south. Think about that. When has that ever happened? And let's not get started on making excuses for Anu Solomon. ASU was absolutely hobbled as well. But if you are going to make excuses based on injuries, we might as well not credit UA for that win @ Autzen in light of the fact they had pretty much no offensive line.
Scummy Dick Douglas

krissyp wrote:Yes CLEARLY assu is a football school...So much so, it only took you 5 tries and then you finally landed your dream coach.

I did not say ASU has a track record of being a well run football school. ASU is a historically mediocre football school. But if ASU is mediocre, UA is a bad football school. Even ASU being mediocre has experienced a couple Rose Bowl trips, came within a minute or so of a National Championship, and has actually won the PAC a few times. There is a reason ASU has been dubbed the "sleeping giant" by national pundits for a long time. Until Graham had arrived, ASU football experienced its worst period of management in its history.
krissyp

Post by krissyp »

Here comes my favorite part. The part when when an assu scummy becomes unhinged and unglued!!!

Ah yes, first come the "basketball school" references, next blanket statements about "the whole country thinks" how we're irrelevant. Next will be about their Rose Bowls and for the finale, town smack.

Typical and pathetic, yet so so entertaining.

EDIT-HE BROUGHT UP THE ROSE BOWLS BEFORE I EVEN POSTED THIS!!! :lol:
Last edited by krissyp on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wow ScumDick, you learned to use the quote feature correctly! Congratulations. That puts you in the top .00001% of ASU fans.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Scummy Dick Douglas

krissyp wrote:Here comes my favorite part. The part when when an assu scummy becomes unhinged and unglued!!!

Ah yes, first come the "basketball school" references, next blanket statements about "the whole country thinks" how we're irrelevant. Next will be about their Rose Bowls and for the finale, town smack.

Guy who ends sentences with "!!!" as if he is yelling declares I am coming unglued and unhinged after stating ASU is a historically mediocre football program. Makes sense....

Hint: I don't get that worked up over football. And I rarely get caught up in the bias of specific teams. I usually cling to actual numbers and facts. Hence the reason I tried to steer clear of the virtues of arguing injuries and their effects.
krissyp

Post by krissyp »

krissyp wrote:Here comes my favorite part. The part when when an assu scummy becomes unhinged and unglued!!!

Guy who ends sentences with "!!!" as if he is yelling declares I am coming unglued and unhinged after stating ASU is a historically mediocre football program. Makes sense....

Hint: I don't get that worked up over football. And I rarely get caught up in the bias of specific teams. I usually cling to actual numbers and facts. Hence the reason I tried to steer clear of the virtues of arguing injuries and their effects.

Nope not buying your BS.

Hint: If you're going to "cling" to actual numbers and facts you might want to stop writing sentences like, "The whole country doesn't take you seriously, dude." But I imagine that will be difficult since it took you so long to use the quote feature.

Another Hint: I'm not a guy.

I think we're done here, bye now.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

I am so looking forward to watching the "exposed" Anu Solomon play for the next 3 years. Arizona opponents have faced a first year starter each of the last 3 years. Won't be so lucky this year. Let's revisit this "exposed" discussion after Solomon's last game as a senior, when he has shattered every Arizona QB record in the book (except Denker's rushing stats).

Go Cats!!

42-35
boat343

Post by boat343 »

asu claiming to be a football school is hilarious. I always tell that to my friends who are SEC school fans and a buddy who is a USC fan. They laugh. Yes, UofA is a basketball school. No, asu is not a football school. It's a baseball school, I guess.

Who cares what your guys' unrealistic expectations are - you're not gonna do them. You guys have about as much chance as winning a NC as I have of becoming president. Just because I go around telling people that's what I'm aiming for doesn't mean s^%t. And just because Toad and the rest of the delusional faithful are aiming for a NC doesn't mean s&*t either. Do it and then talk.

And c'mon, dude, if you think RichRod didn't have less to work with the first two years then please say so so that I can't end this because I know I'm talking with someone completely unreasonable. Erickson left you guys in pretty good shape... Try starting players like Sir Thomas Jackson and Johnny Jackson and then we can talk.

And I love how proud they are of their Rose Bowl history (which is Al Bundy at its finest). One of their Rose Bowls was "hobbled" into. They played one less conference game than #2 UCLA (5-2-1) in 1986 in which they won the conference at 5-1-1 (loss was to us non-football school). And that one less game was Stanford who was certainly a threat to beat them, as that was one of UCLA's losses.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Actual numbers and facts yet says UofA "backed into" winning the Pac12 south.

Ucla couldn't beat Furd and UofA won the Pac-12 South. Actual numbers and fact.
Scummy Dick Douglas

krissyp wrote:

Nope not buying your BS.

Hint: If you're going to "cling" to actual numbers and facts you might want to stop writing sentences like, "The whole country doesn't take you seriously, dude." But I imagine that will be difficult since it took you so long to use the quote feature.

Pretty sure there are several places on this site where you guys complain about the lack of respect you are getting in the polls and from national sports writers.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

krissyp wrote:

Nope not buying your BS.

Pretty sure there are several places on this site where you guys complain about the lack of respect you are getting in the polls and from national sports writers.
Not really. Find them and post them please. You should probably give up...you're getting abused in this thread.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Catstatic wrote:I am so looking forward to watching the "exposed" Anu Solomon play for the next 3 years. Arizona opponents have faced a first year starter each of the last 3 years. Won't be so lucky this year. Let's revisit this "exposed" discussion after Solomon's last game as a senior, when he has shattered every Arizona QB record in the book (except Denker's rushing stats).

Go Cats!!

42-35
I don't doubt he will shatter many records. I imagine the OOC scheduling helps, but the point remains. How he does in games against big time defenses in big time games will be the real determining factor. Who is the current record holder? Outside of Nick Foles, I can't recall the last great passing QB UA had.
boat343

Post by boat343 »

You know what's funny? if asu would have won that head-to-head game for the Pac-12 South the whole thing would be totally legit, even though they would have "backed in" to the championship themselves, having lost to UCLA by a million points last year. So they were counting on UCLA crapping the bed too. They see the world through sun devil colored glasses. Matt Scott can completely crap the bed and gift wrap a game for them - they say their D was just overwhelming. Scooby rapes their QB on the first play of the game taking 7 points from them - they gave the game away. Typical underachievers. If you are the football school you sure as hell are an underwhelming one.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Very good espn article on spread offenses opening up the running game. Coach Rod plays a prominent role.
"We saw it. The more teams would spread and look to run -- not just to throw out of the spread -- there would be more explosive plays and more 1,000-yard rushers," Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez said. "We use it a lot in recruiting: 'Hey, you don't have to go to an I-formation team to get rushing yards. You can get as many or more playing in our style of offense than anything else.'"

Rodriguez would know. Since he took his first head-coaching job at West Virginia in 2001, Rodriguez has coached five 1,700-yard players -- more than any other head coach. Over the same time frame, Oregon has produced four rushers with more than 1,700 yards. So the question to answer: Why has the spread opened up the run?

When Rodriguez first started implementing the spread as an assistant 27 years ago, it was with throwing more in mind. But as the offense evolved, he found himself spreading more to run. The reason? A simple numbers game.

"We felt you had to have less good blocks to have a successful run than if you put everybody in there tight," Rodriguez explained. "If we got two or three blocks at the point of attack, and the rest of the guys get run over slowly, we've got a chance -- as opposed to having to make five or six blocks. So that was our reasoning behind spreading to run. And having the quarterback with a threat to run makes defenses play all 11 guys instead of playing 11 on 10."

Spreading the offense meant spreading the defense too, creating bigger seams and wide-open running lanes as defenses guessed whether the quarterback would run it, throw it or dish it to the backs.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

krissyp wrote:Yes CLEARLY assu is a football school...So much so, it only took you 5 tries and then you finally landed your dream coach.

I did not say ASU has a track record of ... all school. But if ASU is mediocre, UA is a bad football school. Even ASU being mediocre has experienced a couple Rose Bowl trips, came within a minute or so of a National Championship, and has actually won the PAC a few times. There is a reason ASU has been dubbed the "sleeping giant" by national pundits for a long time. Until Graham had arrived, ASU football experienced its worst period of management in its history.
This is the first thing you've written which makes any sense. But trying to claim even a sliver of football superiority for ASU of UA is dubious at best. A couple of Rose Bowls over a hundred years of history? I think the disparity in historical wins largely overcomes that. You did have a nice streak of WAC championships in the 70's, though. Mediocre indeed, but not enough of a difference as to proclaim the UA is 'bad'.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Scummy Dick Douglas

boat343 wrote:You know what's funny? if asu would have won that head-to-head game for the Pac-12 South the whole thing would be totally legit, even though they would have "backed in" to the championship themselves, having lost to UCLA by a million points last year. So they were counting on UCLA crapping the bed too. They see the world through sun devil colored glasses. Matt Scott can completely crap the bed and gift wrap a game for them - they say their D was just overwhelming. Scooby rapes their QB on the first play of the game taking 7 points from them - they gave the game away. Typical underachievers. If you are the football school you sure as hell are an underwhelming one.
When did I ever say ASU gave the game away? I think ASU's season last year was an absolute success given the turnover on the defensive side of the ball. The offense was going to get ASU 8 wins, but anything more than that was just extra. And you are doing the exact thing you are accusing me of doing. Matt Scott gift wrapped the game for ASU? Sounds like red and blue glasses talk to me.

Again, yes ASU is a football school. Being a school who places more emphasis on one sport over the other does not depend on actual performance. Do you not agree that Colorado is a football school? How bad are they right now? Does not take away from the fact that that AD's donations and expectations revolve around football.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Puerco wrote:

I did not say ASU has a track record of ... all school. But if ASU is mediocre, UA is a bad football school. Even ASU being mediocre has experienced a couple Rose Bowl trips, came within a minute or so of a National Championship, and has actually won the PAC a few times. There is a reason ASU has been dubbed the "sleeping giant" by national pundits for a long time. Until Graham had arrived, ASU football experienced its worst period of management in its history.
This is the first thing you've written which makes any sense. But trying to claim even a sliver of football superiority for ASU of UA is dubious at best. A couple of Rose Bowls over a hundred years of history? I think the disparity in historical wins largely overcomes that. You did have a nice streak of WAC championships in the 70's, though. Mediocre indeed, but not enough of a difference as to proclaim the UA is 'bad'.
ASU was basically the Boise State of the 70's. Weak conference, but did very well against the power conferences in bowl games. That said no, it really is enough to realize the difference between the two programs. Go here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_Wildcats_football

scroll down to the "All time bowl record" section, then compare that to the same section here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_S ... s_football

If you can remove your fan glasses for a few minutes its pretty easy to see a difference in what each program has accomplished.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

If you're going to hang your program's superiority on a single stretch of good play in a weak conference nearly 50 years ago, I can't really argue with you. Both programs have been obviously mediocre over my lifetime. Trying to claim superiority of one over the other is like arguing whether Buick or Oldsmobile made the best sports car.
EDIT: Wikipedia actually has a page devoted to the UA-ASU football rivalry, which is pretty cool.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Asu hangs their supposed superiority on two seasons in the last 40 years and a couple of stretches 40-65 years ago. Arizona fans look at all times head to head, and results in modern times (1978-now).

Outside of those two 1986 and 1996 seasons...Arizona and asu are virtually the same program...with Arizona owning the series in that period as well. In football the last 40 years...asu=Arizona

Literally the same mediocre programs.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Since joining the Pac ASSu has 10 seasons of 9 wins or more (we have 4) and 3 conference titles (we have 1 shared). Bowl records are very close (8-7-1 for us and 8-9 for ASSu). Head to head we lead 20-16.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

20-16-1 actually but still. And the two programs have averaged nearly the same amount of wins a year.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:20-16-1 actually but still. And the two programs have averaged nearly the same amount of wins a year.
Since joining the Pac they have about 25 more wins, but yeah, pretty close.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:20-16-1 actually but still. And the two programs have averaged nearly the same amount of wins a year.
Since joining the Pac they have about 25 more wins, but yeah, pretty close.
Which over 37 years is only an extra 2/3 of a win a year. Both programs are exceptionally mediocre in Pac 10/12 play.

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Pains me a bit... used to "run away" from it. Now I just acknowledge it.

Problem is (because I despise ASSu) their fans can claim Rose Bowl berth/win. I've been wanting that for AZ for 28 years. 36 years if you go back to when the two AZ schools joined the PAC. Wanted soooo bad for AZ to be the 1st to make it to Pasadena and avoid this conversation. I've been going to UofA games since I was a little kid back in the WAC days. I'm thankful for AZ better overall record vs. ASSu. Thankful! But it's not a Rose Bowl.

I want a Rose Bowl berth more than a national Championship. It's My generation maybe. I was taught to be "My favorite team is UofA and whoever is playing ASSu" fan. Runs in the family. Wanting a Rose Bowl berth is Why I'm so interested in recruiting class stats. If Rich Rod can't get us that RB birth, then I'm not very confident it can be done within 7-10 years (at best) after he's not here.

I make fun of ASSu's number of March Madness, final four appearances. I certainly make fun of ASSu number of NCAA Basketball championships... Until AZ gets to Rose Bowl (and wins) it's an unhappy truth in this fans experience.

36 years is a loooong time.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Go watch this video of Coach Rod telling how he lost his first head coaching job.

A lot more interesting than bantering with a guy who can't even find his own team's message board.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Couldn't agree more Ang. Guy defines Clown, is a scum and thinks he is better than everyone here. Freaking loser and not really as objective as he thinks, just like the rest of their delusional, pathetic fanbase.

Would love to have CTG be as open and talk about how he was insubordinate and how he got canned by RR but we all know that story will remain from the public view. Guy fits so well with the scum faithful. Clown coach
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Pains me a bit... used to "run away" from it. Now I just acknowledge it.

Problem is (because I despise ASSu) their fans can claim Rose Bowl berth/win. I've been wanting that for AZ for 28 years. 36 years if you go back to when the two AZ schools joined the PAC. Wanted soooo bad for AZ to be the 1st to make it to Pasadena and avoid this conversation. I've been going to UofA games since I was a little kid back in the WAC days. I'm thankful for AZ better overall record vs. ASSu. Thankful! But it's not a Rose Bowl.

I want a Rose Bowl berth more than a national Championship. It's My generation maybe. I was taught to be "My favorite team is UofA and whoever is playing ASSu" fan. Runs in the family. Wanting a Rose Bowl berth is Why I'm so interested in recruiting class stats. If Rich Rod can't get us that RB birth, then I'm not very confident it can be done within 7-10 years (at best) after he's not here.

I make fun of ASSu's number of March Madness, final four appearances. I certainly make fun of ASSu number of NCAA Basketball championships... Until AZ gets to Rose Bowl (and wins) it's an unhappy truth in this fans experience.

I heard that if the playoff system had not been implemented last year, and Oregon went to the national championship game, then the Cats would have gone to the Rose Bowl. Please tell me what I heard was wrong! :x

Go Cats!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Catstatic wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Pains me a bit... used to "run away" from it. Now I just acknowledge it.

I heard that if the playoff system had not been implemented last year, and Oregon went to the national championship game, then the Cats would have gone to the Rose Bowl. Please tell me what I heard was wrong! :x

Go Cats!!
I read the same thing somewhere.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Catstatic wrote:

Go Cats!!
Actually under the playoff system we would have also gone any time the Rose Bowl is not a semifinal game. (Two out of every three years).
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Catstatic wrote:

Go Cats!!
Not 100% on this, but if BCS was in play last year AZ would NOT have gone to Rose Bowl. I believe in 2005, 2011 RB's a Pac12 team went to BCS Champ game that was not the RB that year and the RB picked NON-Pac12 team to face Big10 in the RB

With CFPlayoff now in play, a Pac12 runner-up has a chance to make it to RB when Pac12 champ makes it to Playoff Champ game when RB not in 4-team playoff rotation.
Scummy Dick Douglas

If BCS was still in place last year, it would have been Alabama and FSU in the national champ game. Not sure if that means Oregon would have gone to the Rose Bowl or not.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:If BCS was still in place last year, it would have been Alabama and FSU in the national champ game. Not sure if that means Oregon would have gone to the Rose Bowl or not.
Wasn't it Alabama at #1, Oregon at #2, FSU at #3 and Ohio State at #4?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Chicat wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:If BCS was still in place last year, it would have been Alabama and FSU in the national champ game. Not sure if that means Oregon would have gone to the Rose Bowl or not.
Wasn't it Alabama at #1, Oregon at #2, FSU at #3 and Ohio State at #4?
Well, it turns out that the old BCS system would have the same four schools but with one major difference. Florida State, who is no. 4 in the playoff ranking and in danger of falling out of the playoff picture, would be second in the BCS ranking with a clear gap between themselves and third-ranked Oregon.
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/college- ... z3ip5uDRi4

If it was BCS top 4 instead, it would have been Bama vs TCU and FSU v Oregon. Bama and FSU last year wouldn't have been as fun as what we got.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Catstatic wrote: I heard that if the playoff system had not been implemented last year, and Oregon went to the national championship game, then the Cats would have gone to the Rose Bowl. Please tell me what I heard was wrong! :x

Go Cats!!
If the Rose Bowl wasn't a playoff game, the Ducks would head to the playoffs and the Wildcats would represent the Pac-12 in the Rose Bowl as the next highest ranked team in the league. It would mark the first time ever UA would play in the prestigious game.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... /20077011/
boat343

Post by boat343 »

boat343 wrote:You know what's funny? if asu would have won that head-to-head game for the Pac-12 South the whole thing would be totally legit, even though they would have "backed in" to the championship themselves, having lost to UCLA by a million points last year. So they were counting on UCLA crapping the bed too. They see the world through sun devil colored glasses. Matt Scott can completely crap the bed and gift wrap a game for them - they say their D was just overwhelming. Scooby rapes their QB on the first play of the game taking 7 points from them - they gave the game away. Typical underachievers. If you are the football school you sure as hell are an underwhelming one.
When did I ever say ASU gave the game away? I think ASU's season last year was an absolute success given the turnover on the defensive side of the ball. The offense was going to get ASU 8 wins, but anything more than that was just extra. And you are doing the exact thing you are accusing me of doing. Matt Scott gift wrapped the game for ASU? Sounds like red and blue glasses talk to me.

Again, yes ASU is a football school. Being a school who places more emphasis on one sport over the other does not depend on actual performance. Do you not agree that Colorado is a football school? How bad are they right now? Does not take away from the fact that that AD's donations and expectations revolve around football.
The Matt Scott reference was just showing you how our loss could be phrased. I don't believe. asu won the game. Period. Same as UofA won the game last year. Period. We weren't gifted anything; we were the better team.