Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cordera89

Re: Anonymous Pac-12 coach calls out Rich Rodriguez

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:Seriously though, stop starting threads on minor things related to the exact same subject.
How about you don't reply to it if you want to act like it minor or exact subject. I going to still share it to everyone I don't expect everyone to reply unless you actually control this site.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:Seriously though, stop starting threads on minor things related to the exact same subject.
How about you don't reply to it if you want to act like it minor or exact subject. I going to still share it to everyone I don't expect everyone to reply unless you actually control this site.
This thread should be merged into one of the other 5 on the subject.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

cordera89 wrote:

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/memberl ... de=leaders
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

cordera89 wrote:
You should listen to Chicat.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Shut up cordera.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
This thread should be merged into one of the other 5 on the subject.
agreed, and done
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Re: Coach Rod

Post by Merkin »

But there's clearly more going on behind the scenes than anyone will go on the record with. Surprisingly, ESPN's announcers alluded to a conversation with Rodriguez where he said the players read the Internet and the newspapers and gauge where the wind is blowing. They know the gossip (unfounded or not). They know their coach has been mentioned as a possible replacement somewhere else. It's like the kids of soon-to-be-divorced parents knowing there's trouble in what was once paradise.

Leaks are starting to happen. It's very apparent. Whether they are coming from McKale Center or Lowell Stevens they are happening. But let's remember leaks have motives. In the coming weeks we will see where it all takes us. In two weeks or so, we will find out if Rodriguez will still be Arizona's coach. Or if he heads close to home to work at Virginia Tech or any other destination east.
- See more at: https://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp? ... jTxci.dpuf" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

RR to Castell before the 'SC game: "we're going to VT so try not to make the 3-3-5 look like garbage tonight, m'kay?"

Castell: "Gotcha Rich, will do"
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

It's interesting to see some of the players parents chiming in on team's lack of success and RR situation. Cayleb Jones parents pretty vocal in their displeasure of how Cayleb Jones used. Some expressing RR has already checked out or wanting RR "to be a man" and just leave or say he's staying sooner than later.

Getting more vocal out there.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
illcat

Post by illcat »

He's not going to say anything until after the assu game, if then. The only good thing I can see if RR leaves is if they're lucky maybe Casteel will go to. One can hope.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Someone is still a little upset about RR leaving WVU for UM. Apparently RR accepted the UM offer before WVU's last regular season game.

SoutherAZ

Post by SoutherAZ »

The parent twitter posts make it clear that the players have no idea which way RichRod is leaning. The way coaches have bolted in the past, after saying they weren't going anywhere, it probably doesn't matter. Wonder if the players feel he's "checked out".

Can't be fun to be in our locker room right now. It also puts a big cloud over recruiting. Not a good situation anyway you look at it.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

We can't even take into account which way RR is leaning when we don't even know if there's been an offer made yet. Maybe he's gotten phone calls but I'm not sure he's option 1 on anyone's list. Can't leave without an offer.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:Someone is still a little upset about RR leaving WVU for UM. Apparently RR accepted the UM offer before WVU's last regular season game.

I'd believe it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I would bet serious money he has already had several, at least, telephone interviews. Otherwise no need for GB to send out that political email last week.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

azpenguin wrote:We can't even take into account which way RR is leaning when we don't even know if there's been an offer made yet. Maybe he's gotten phone calls but I'm not sure he's option 1 on anyone's list. Can't leave without an offer.
Azpenguin,

It doesn't take a mind reader to read the clear indications that Rich Rod would rather be somewhere else. Right now in my heart of hearts I think that guy has one foot out the door and he won't refute it publicly.

GB and his refusal to put an end to the rumors and flat out say RR is not interested in any other jobs and is at Arizona for the long haul is all that's needed to calm the masses, but they won't do it. Why. Because he's going to accept a new position.

Thats the way I read it anyway.

At this point this is becoming a running joke and clearly will put the recruiting class in jeopardy. Saying the players can read the news papers like everyone else is play ground semantics and is really code for I don't have the balls to tell anyone I'm leaving yet.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He gone.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

You can believe what you want, and I'm not saying he's staying. Or going. But in the absence of concrete info, who's to say? I read dc's stuff and I get that RR would probably take VT if offered. But again, he has to be offered. That's not even a guarantee.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I've been waiting (don't think anyone has, not sure) for radio or media to ask Byrne if another school has asked permission to speak to RR yet. Byrne has been asked this before. Was asked last year. Byrne answered. He said he had not. If fact with the Louisville rumor, pretty sure Byrne and RR shot that down indirectly within days of the rumor.

If radio or media reading this. ask that question. Byrne can dodge it and we can read between the lines since he's answered that publicly before. Doesn't have to name the school(s) asking for permission. If fact, I would suspect Byrne would dodge it. Would almost be like giving an answer.

BTW, I would guess Byrne would dodge because bowl game is priority right now. Money for conference and school. Would expect Byrne wouldn't want the public to know if RR shopping mainly for last Home game gate impact and Potential Bowl money. IMO

Or maybe he's already been asked and I didn't read about it...
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

azpenguin wrote:You can believe what you want, and I'm not saying he's staying. Or going. But in the absence of concrete info, who's to say? I read dc's stuff and I get that RR would probably take VT if offered. But again, he has to be offered. That's not even a guarantee.
Yes I hear you. No one really knows how it will turn out and guess what, the sun will still rise and life will go on.

I just hate seeing a guy roaming our sidelines who really deep down wants to be somewhere else but where he's at, and deep down everyone knows it.

Just give me someone who loves this job (UofA), like Tomey and Lute and will accept the wort's and scares and all that comes with it. An old guy can dream can't he. :)
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
azpenguin wrote:You can believe what you want, and I'm not saying he's staying. Or going. But in the absence of concrete info, who's to say? I read dc's stuff and I get that RR would probably take VT if offered. But again, he has to be offered. That's not even a guarantee.
Yes I hear you. No one really knows how it will turn out and guess what, the sun will still rise and life will go on.

I just hate seeing a guy roaming our sidelines who really deep down wants to be somewhere else but where he's at, and deep down everyone knows it.

Just give me someone who loves this job (UofA), like Tomey and Lute and will accept the wort's and scares and all that comes with it. An old guy can dream can't he. :)
Proof?

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Anyone who has been a in a relationship they want out of and is waiting for the right time to pull the trigger, knows whats going on wrt to RR.

likewise, anyone who has been in a relationship that they care for, but knows break up is impeding also knows what is going on.

RR's gone cold on UofA. The sweetness is gone.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:I've been waiting (don't think anyone has, not sure) for radio or media to ask Byrne if another school has asked permission to speak to RR yet. Byrne has been asked this before. Was asked last year. Byrne answered. He said he had not. If fact with the Louisville rumor, pretty sure Byrne and RR shot that down indirectly within days of the rumor.

If radio or media reading this. ask that question. Byrne can dodge it and we can read between the lines since he's answered that publicly before. Doesn't have to name the school(s) asking for permission. If fact, I would suspect Byrne would dodge it. Would almost be like giving an answer.

BTW, I would guess Byrne would dodge because bowl game is priority right now. Money for conference and school. Would expect Byrne wouldn't want the public to know if RR shopping mainly for last Home game gate impact and Potential Bowl money. IMO

Or maybe he's already been asked and I didn't read about it...
Good point in the media question issue...

As for the Bowl, I do not doubt it is a priority for 'potential bragging rights', good for the kids, etc.

But it has ZERO todo with money. IF UA makes a bowl game, it will undoubtedly be one where the university loses money. They will receive net positive $$ overall because of teams attending big bowl games & conference revenue sharing... but they will spend more than they receive from attending a low-tier ball game.

Which is part of the foolishness of the current bowl system. BCS conference teams staying home for the holidays make more money than teams that qualify for and play in sh*tty bowls that are poorly attended by the fans, and where the school loses a lot of $, between the standard expenses associated with playing in the game and the tickets the AD is required to buy that will go unused.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:Anyone who has been a in a relationship they want out of and is waiting for the right time to pull the trigger, knows whats going on wrt to RR.

likewise, anyone who has been in a relationship that they care for, but knows break up is impeding also knows what is going on.

Why? Just because of a couple injuries? Everything was puppies and flowers 2 months ago. I don't buy it. Did a booster pee in his cheerios?

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Just more money into the pac12 revenue sharing pot. Plus believe pac12 has a partial unsold ticket/ expenses reimbursement policy. The revenue share pot and per school portion from that pot helps out any losses any one school takes. Especially now with CFB Playoff money any pac12 schools get into also including NY6 bowls
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Just more money into the pac12 revenue sharing pot. Plus believe pac12 has a partial unsold ticket/ expenses reimbursement policy. The revenue share pot and per school portion from that pot helps out any losses any one school takes. Especially now with CFB Playoff money any pac12 schools get into also including NY6 bowls
If a bowl game's revenues are provided to the conference for distribution among member schools AFTER expenses are covered (ALL of them, including gtd ticket purchases), then I stand corrected.

I am not familiar with the details of bowl revenue sharing, but others (seemingly in the know) posted otherwise in the past. Like revenue from bowl appearances was split 13 different ways - with the participating program receiving 2 shares of revenue, and every other conference program receiving one... and the participating program was expected to cover ALL expenses out of their share.

If that understanding were correct, we would be looking at a BIG money loser.... because 2/13th of the revenue from some afterthought bowl will not come close to covering all the expenses we would incur.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Gladiator Cat wrote:An old guy can dream can't he. :)

:mrgreen:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Anyone who has been a in a relationship they want out of and is waiting for the right time to pull the trigger, knows whats going on wrt to RR.

Why? Just because of a couple injuries? Everything was puppies and flowers 2 months ago. I don't buy it. Did a booster pee in his cheerios?

Watching the post game pressers, RR certainly isn't having any fun any more. He really enjoys winning and hates losing, and I think he realized that this is what is pretty typical for UA football as long time fans know. One good season surrounded by some pretty mediocre ones.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Merkin wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Watching the post game pressers, RR certainly isn't having any fun any more. He really enjoys winning and hates losing, and I think he realized that this is what is pretty typical for UA football as long time fans know. One good season surrounded by some pretty mediocre ones.
Or, you know, he could just be mad because he is losing. You guys are reading too much into this.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:RR to Castell before the 'SC game: "we're going to VT so try not to make the 3-3-5 look like garbage tonight, m'kay?"

That bullshit.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

cordera89 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:RR to Castell before the 'SC game: "we're going to VT so try not to make the 3-3-5 look like garbage tonight, m'kay?"

That bullshit.
That was a joke. Lighten up man.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

cordera89 wrote:

That bullshit.
I hate to go all Bill Clinton on you, but you gotta learn what is is,
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I looked at the coastal division of the ACC and he is set up year in and year out to put up 9-10 wins and compete for the leagues championship game.

Way weaker than being the 4th or 5th best program in a tough south division. IF he gets offered, I think we all think he goes home. He thinks he sh#ts bigger than AZ
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Folks need to slow the jets a little.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Merkin wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

I seriously don't get our fans sometimes? What was typical about this season? Do we always lose our best player on defense along with our other 2 starting LB's? How many typical seasons were we playing the 4th string LB because everybody else was injured? Do we always lose our 2 starting OG's to injury?

excatdb had a great post on the other site as he asked if anybody could name the back-ups at LB to Marcus Bell, Scooter Sprotte and Dashon Polk off the '98 team? I thought it was a great question and realized that the back-ups probably never played as those 3 played each and every down. Do we still go 12-1 if we had lost all three for the season? If Trung Candidate is out for 3 or 4 games do we still go 12-1? Excatdb was asking that question as he went through the "typical" injuries that have beset the team TY.

He made the comparison that losing Chis Mac off the '98 team would be comparable to losing Scooby off TY's team. Probably a pretty accurate statement. He also talked about what would've happened if we had lost Yusef Scott and Steven Grace our 2 starting guards for a big game during the season like what happened last night?

Nothing has been typical about this season except our shitty fan base that seems to love when our football team doesn't do well. We can't wait to say how typical it is and how it will always be like this. Three straight bowl games and if our shitty fan base actually supported the team they would realize that the last 3 years have been the best 3 year run you could ask for as a season ticket holder. So many great games and so many great wins yet this season is typical? Like I said, I think we have more "fans" that enjoy it when the football team struggles so they can wear it like some freaking badge of honor and say "when does basketball season start".
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAdevil wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

That bullshit.
I don't think Cordera89's first language is English. Not the first time a joke went over his head.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

To take that further, DC, go back and look at the starters for the '93 team, the dominant Desert Swarm year. Out of all 11 positions combined on defense, I think there was a different starter only 2 or 3 times. So out of 132 starts for the year 130 of them were taken by the same guys. What happens if the defense gets this kind of injury bug then? Probably a 6-5, 7-4 kind of team. The '98 comparison is also spot on as far as what would happen if they lost Chris Mac for most of the year.

I like what I saw from the younger players yesterday. Time will tell but that has the potential to be a "lightbulb" game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

How often I wonder is the top coaching target that is as public as RR to VaTech actually turns out you be accurate?

The Ninja used all kinds of misdirection in his search. And certainly hokie fans don't seem to be falling all over the aspects of RR being the guy
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Some people on the VT boards think it's gonna be Chad Morris. We'll see, because as you know message board posts are always on the money.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Here is that 1993 starters list on defense....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Great stuff AG!!!
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Gimino wrote:Here is that 1993 starters list on defense....
Must be nice....
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azpenguin wrote:Some people on the VT boards think it's gonna be Chad Morris. We'll see, because as you know message board posts are always on the money.
Do you have a link? Would love to check that out.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

catinfl wrote:
Gimino wrote:Here is that 1993 starters list on defense....
Must be nice....
But not realistic anymore. Not with the prevalence of concussions.

You have to recruit in anticipation of injuries, and that's what makes coaching major college football so complicated and difficult. I would never want to do it.

By the same token, I would never take the easy way out or rest on excuses either.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dc4azcats wrote:
Merkin wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

I seriously don't get our fans sometimes? What was typical about this season? Do we always lose our best player on defense along with our other 2 starting LB's? How many typical seasons were we playing the 4th string LB because everybody else was injured? Do we always lose our 2 starting OG's to injury?

excatdb had a great post on the other site as he asked if anybody could name the back-ups at LB to Marcus Bell, Scooter Sprotte and Dashon Polk off the '98 team? I thought it was a great question and realized that the back-ups probably never played as those 3 played each and every down. Do we still go 12-1 if we had lost all three for the season? If Trung Candidate is out for 3 or 4 games do we still go 12-1? Excatdb was asking that question as he went through the "typical" injuries that have beset the team TY.

He made the comparison that losing Chis Mac off the '98 team would be comparable to losing Scooby off TY's team. Probably a pretty accurate statement. He also talked about what would've happened if we had lost Yusef Scott and Steven Grace our 2 starting guards for a big game during the season like what happened last night?

Nothing has been typical about this season except our shitty fan base that seems to love when our football team doesn't do well. We can't wait to say how typical it is and how it will always be like this. Three straight bowl games and if our shitty fan base actually supported the team they would realize that Athe last 3 years have been the best 3 year run you could ask for as a season ticket holder. So many great games and so many great wins yet this season is typical? Like I said, I think we have more "fans" that enjoy it when the football team struggles so they can wear it like some freaking badge of honor and say "when does basketball season start".
As for the 2nd bolded quote, I think there is some truth to that statement... But it's almost like UA fans have adopted the Stockdale paradox: expect the worst (because experience tells you that is what you should expect) and then anything positive that happens is a pleasant surprise.

As for the first one, I gotta call bullshit on that. I do think it WOULD be fair to say "a Southern Divison championship in his first 3 years is more than any season ticket holder have expected". However, I (and I think other fans) are REAL sick and tired of hearing the "3 straight bowl games" nonsense, because it is a shining example of "how to lie with statistics". Only Stoops and Mackovic played under close to the same rules, and they were arguably the 2 worst coaches we have had in my lifetime.

To spin those same facts accurately but with a negative bias, I could read that as saying "Having a winning conference record every 3 years is more than any season ticket holder can ask for". I don't buy into that.

As for the injuries, a hindrance certainly. But even at full strength, this team is not in the same time zone as Desert Swarm, personnel wise. Losing Ippolito and Turituri hurt, but they are not that good - and (starters now or not) they would not have seen the field on our Desert Swarm defenses.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:I looked at the coastal division of the ACC and he is set up year in and year out to put up 9-10 wins and compete for the leagues championship game.

Way weaker than being the 4th or 5th best program in a tough south division. IF he gets offered, I think we all think he goes home. He thinks he sh#ts bigger than AZ
I don't doubt he might think that, but I don't buy it.

We have a tougher division program and history-wise, but I am less impressed by the coaches in our Divison every season; IMO, Whittingham is the cream of the crop.

If his goal is to be a big fish in a small pond competing with a bunch of weak sisters, then go to the ACC Coastal. I don't think he'll come close to winning it every year, and he'll likely get his wake-up call in the championship game, because the Atlantic division will continue to dominate that conference.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:
UAdevil wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

That bullshit.
I don't think Cordera89's first language is English. Not the first time a joke went over his head.
Merkin just shoot your ahead ok if you really want to go their, I don't care if it was a joke or not. It BS to make fun our coaches. I mean how funny would it been if Casteel and Kir would of said we don't like to recruit in Arizona? Do you want paint that as a joke.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azpenguin wrote:Some people on the VT boards think it's gonna be Chad Morris. We'll see, because as you know message board posts are always on the money.
How did they come to that conclusion, Do they have the slightest doubt that there AD is the only one going after RR not everyone else. Chad Morris, his first year as HC isn't going to too well thou. His team is like 1-8 overall. Why would VT board mention him.
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

Rich Rod is doing NOTHING to put out these flames.

The best thing, I believe, at this point for the this season and the future would be for Rich Rod to either announce he's going (and name an interim coach for the rest of the season) or for him to announce he's staying.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

This whole discussion is ridiculous. We have a bad season riddle by injury and our abused fan syndrome comes full circle. No wonder we can't fill a stadium every game.

Some if not most of this discussion is far fetched and ludicrous. Virginia Tech to me is the most perpetually overrated program in the country. They stack up wins against mediocre to terrible teams. I don't know what their facilities are like, so I can't comment on that.

If RichRod does leave, it's because he has decided he can't recruit here or is too lazy to figure out how to beat out other Pac schools in recruiting. If that's the case, then that means he can't do the job he was hired to do. People are bringing up this bullshit yet again about football not coming first, when it is abundantly clear that Greg Byrne knows the value of football and make it first rate here, if not most important.