Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ramcat

Re: 3 reasons why Rich Rodriguez should leave the Arizona Wi

Post by ramcat »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
ramcat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:Well another dumb article about more reason of why RR will leave Arizona.

1. He won't win a championship in Tucson
2. More fertile recruiting ground
3. Fewer night games.

Here the article: http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-blog ... a-wildcats" target="_blank

Do yawl agree with this.

Absolutely not. 3, has some merit but 1and 2, no. Assuming V Tech is where he were to go, Nat. Championship will not be easier out of coastal ACC division. It's practically the minor leagues compared to Pac 12 south.
, he will not get appreciably better classes to Blacksburg, VA.

I want him to stay and finish the job too. Does he really want the answer to his question, "why not AZ", be cause he was a quitter?! Not to mention, that leaving now would could hardly be looked at as being, "Hard Edge". Quitting instead of finishing.

Fraud Graham, would be overtaken by Rich Fraudriguez.

Hoping this all BS!! Please!!
Winning a NC would be much easier in the ACC. You go undefeated in the ACC, which is much easier to do than the PAC 12, you are getting invited to the playoff. Also, last I checked it is the ACC that produces the second most NFL talent to the SEC. So he would have a rich talent bed in an easier conference.
Just because you go undefeated, particularly out of ACC coastal, doesn't mean you're in the playoff. One loss teams out of big 10, Pac 12 and SEC would likely go due to strength of schedule, or from where they started in polls. Additionally, even though ACC does well with NFL draft, doesn't mean they are going to go Blacksburgh, VA. I've been there, and its got very little going for it, including weather.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

ramcat wrote:
ramcat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:Well another dumb article about more reason of why RR will leave Arizona.

3. Fewer night games.

Here the article: http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-blog ... a-wildcats" target="_blank

Do yawl agree with this.

Absolutely not. 3, has some merit but 1and 2, no. Assuming V Tech is where he were to go, Nat. Championship will not be easier out of coastal ACC division. It's practically the minor leagues compared to Pac 12 south.

I want him to stay and finish the job too. Does he really want the answer to his question, "why not AZ", be cause he was a quitter?! Not to mention, that leaving now would could hardly be looked at as being, "Hard Edge". Quitting instead of finishing.

Winning a NC would be much easier in the ACC. You go undefeated in the ACC, which is much easier to do than the PAC 12, you are getting invited to the playoff. Also, last I checked it is the ACC that produces the second most NFL talent to the SEC. So he would have a rich talent bed in an easier conference.
Just because you go undefeated, particularly out of ACC coastal, doesn't mean you're in the playoff. One loss teams out of big 10, Pac 12 and SEC would likely go due to strength of schedule, or from where they started in polls. Additionally, even though ACC does well with NFL draft, doesn't mean they are going to go Blacksburgh, VA. I've been there, and its got very little going for it, including weather.
I disagree- you go undefeated and win the ACC, you are going to the playoff. Regarding the idea that because you didn't find Blacksburg to have much going for it, recruits won't either.... the same could be said about Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge. I wouldn't want to live in either of those places. And yet they still pull top ten recruiting classes littered with NFL talent every year.
ramcat

Re: Coach Rod

Post by ramcat »

Lmao!! Seriously?! Tradition of LSU and Alabama and SEC vs Virg Tech and ACC coastal?! Wow. Can't comment further.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Really difficult to translate number of NFL produced players to recruiting to then wins/losses. Yes, as of last year ACC had 2nd most players on NFL rosters. Pac12 4th most.

Then again Miami (ACC) had 3rd most in NFL but they're 52-41 in conference play since 2004 when they joined the ACC. Miami has never won the ACC championship. But they have 3rd most in NFL.

And of course California produces the most in NFL. Specifically Southern Cal. A should be sweet spot for RR and AZ. Followed by South Florida, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, Metro-Atlanta and New Orleans-Baton Rouge.

I don't fully buy into the rich state of Florida recruiting a RR sweet spot. Sure, RR has ties there. RR also now has ties in So.Cal. Where there are riches of talent that fit his Offensive scheme. Arguably the most rich area of anywhere in the nation. (So I challenge Shane Dale's #2) Also, RR is already recruiting the south and does offer 4/5* recruits but not as much. Harder to land in his schemes and win head-to-head vs. traditional schools. There's also per capita that sways.

It's been since 2007 since RR was near FL at WV recruiting FL heavy. Historically, RR has never produced high number of NFL talent (Scheme, tweeners). So NFL talent level not as much a factor.

Probably "easier" to gain a Playoff spot from ACC IF you go undefeated in conference play. SoS will ding them IF they lose a game. And of course they only play 8 conference games.

But harder IF an ACC team stumbles once in non-con OR conference play. There's a reason ACC voted again last year to keep an 8 game conference schedule. There are reasons why ACC falling behind other power conferences in revenue.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Well said.
Scummy Dick Douglas

ramcat wrote:Lmao!! Seriously?! Tradition of LSU and Alabama and SEC vs Virg Tech and ACC coastal?! Wow. Can't comment further.

You Made no mention of tradition in your post, just that Blacksburg was an undesirable place to live. Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge are also undesirable for most. And when It comes to football tradition, Va Tech > UA.
Scummy Dick Douglas

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Really difficult to translate number of NFL produced players to recruiting to then wins/losses. Yes, as of last year ACC had 2nd most players on NFL rosters. Pac12 4th most.

Then again Miami (ACC) had 3rd most in NFL but they're 52-41 in conference play since 2004 when they joined the ACC. Miami has never won the ACC championship. But they have 3rd most in NFL.

And of course California produces the most in NFL. Specifically Southern Cal. A should be sweet spot for RR and AZ. Followed by South Florida, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, Metro-Atlanta and New Orleans-Baton Rouge.

I don't fully buy into the rich state of Florida recruiting a RR sweet spot. Sure, RR has ties there. RR also now has ties in So.Cal. Where there are riches of talent that fit his Offensive scheme. Arguably the most rich area of anywhere in the nation.

It's been since 2007 since RR was near FL at WV recruiting FL heavy. Historically, RR has never produced high number of NFL talent (Scheme, tweeners). So NFL talent level not as much a factor.

Probably "easier" to gain a Playoff spot from ACC IF you go undefeated in conference play. SoS will ding them IF they lose a game. And of course they only play 8 conference games.

But harder IF an ACC team stumbles once in non-con OR conference play. There's a reason ACC voted again last year to keep an 8 game conference schedule. There are reasons why ACC falling behind other power conferences in revenue.
Great points, but I would argue it is still easier to go undefeated in the ACC then it is to even finish wth one loss in the PAC-12. The PAC is just a brutal conference. As far as recruiting goes you have another valid point in that RR doesn't really bring in blue chip prospects. My point is from a general recruiting standpoint, it is easier to get that type of recruit at Va Tech than it is at UA. Tech is in a fertile recruiting area with much less competition nearby. Sure LA is close to UA, but LA recruiting is dominated by USC, UCLA, Cal, Furd, and Oregon.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

ramcat wrote:

3. Fewer night games.

Do yawl agree with this.

dunno if a move would mitigate #3. acc teams are still beholden to network affiliates and are subject to the scheduling shuffle of competing timeslots and viewer eyes from the b1g, sec, xii, etc. even moreso than the pac - hence, night games. it's just that he'll be playing night games in another timezone. and travel won't necessarily be any easier with a conference footprint that's as latitudinally spread as the pac coupled with the torrential downpours, floods, and intensifying hurricane seasons that now characterize the coastal atlantic region. the scheduling & travel argument seems dubious.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Didn't think Id have to spell out tradition as the part it plays in recruiting. Most understand that as being part of it. Example AZ basketball vs ASU. You keep convincing yourself though, appears to be working for you.
Very confident that AZ can compete for talent equally to Virginia Tech.
Additionally, as was said above, due to strength of schedule ACC isn't automatically in playoff with undefeated season. One loss SEC, PAC 12, could easily be ranked higher.
Scummy Dick Douglas

ramcat wrote:Didn't think Id have to spell out tradition as the part it plays in recruiting. Most understand that as being part of it. Example AZ basketball vs ASU. You keep convincing yourself though, appears to be working for you.
Additionally, as was said above, due to strength of schedule ACC isn't automatically in playoff with undefeated season. One loss SEC, PAC 12, could easily be ranked higher.
Bringing tradition into the mix only adds to the reality that Virginia Tech > Arizona. There might not be a single football coach in the U.S. that would prefer the UA job to the Virginia Tech job, just like there is probably not a single basketball coach in the U.S. that would prefer the ASU job to the UA job. Va Tech has had a couple of down years recently, but they spent a decade+ as a top 20 team.

Tell you what, the next time an undefeated ACC champion is snubbed for the playoff in favor of a 1 loss PAC team, I will buy you lunch at any restaurant of your choosing. Its not gonna happen.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ramcat wrote:Lmao!! Seriously?! Tradition of LSU and Alabama and SEC vs Virg Tech and ACC coastal?! Wow. Can't comment further.

You Made no mention of tradition in your post, just that Blacksburg was an undesirable place to live. Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge are also undesirable for most. And when It comes to football tradition, Va Tech > UA.
The reference was having to do with your bringing up LSU and Alabama vs V tech and the cities those schools reside in and how they might affect recruiting. Tradition plays a big part, as do many factors, such as the city, coaching staff, climate, closeness to family etc... U of A can easily recruit the talent that you could get to V tech, based on all factors.
I think despite the competition for recruits from Cali, the talent out west is equally available, when you throw in Texas, Arizona and the fact that RR and staff are obviously being able to attract players from places outside the region.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ramcat wrote:Didn't think Id have to spell out tradition as the part it plays in recruiting. Most understand that as being part of it. Example AZ basketball vs ASU. You keep convincing yourself though, appears to be working for you.
Bringing tradition into the mix only adds to the reality that Virginia Tech > Arizona. There might not be a single football coach in the U.S. that would prefer the UA job to the Virginia Tech job, just like there is probably not a single basketball coach in the U.S. that would prefer the ASU job to the UA job. Va Tech has had a couple of down years recently, but they spent a decade+ as a top 20 team.

Tell you what, the next time an undefeated ACC champion is snubbed for the playoff in favor of a 1 loss PAC team, I will buy you lunch at any restaurant of your choosing. Its not gonna happen.
Lmao, your credibility is shot Scummy!! It has to do with strength of schedule, and starting position. You have undefeated SEC, Big 12, one loss SEC and Pac 12, all of which started the year ranked above undefeated V tech, who has won the ACC, and started the year unranked, V tech is not going.

You're statement about coach's to V tech vs AZ, is not worthy of comment. ASU vs Arizona in basketball, was used to show how baseless your comment was in regards to comparing the V tech to LSU and Alabama with regards to the cities and not taking into account the obvious other factors, to recruiting.
Scummy Dick Douglas

ramcat wrote:

Lmao, your credibility is shot Scummy!! It has to do with strength of schedule, and starting position. You have undefeated SEC, Big 12, one loss SEC and Pac 12, all of which started the year ranked above undefeated V tech, who has won the ACC, and started the year unranked, V tech is not going.

You're statement about coach's to V tech vs AZ, is not worthy of comment. ASU vs Arizona in basketball, was used to show how baseless your comment was in regards to comparing the V tech to LSU and Alabama with regards to the cities and not taking into account the obvious other factors, to recruiting.
So in summary: The debate is football: UA vs VT. You stated that Blacksburg is undersirable, which would affect recruiting. I pointed to Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge as examples of that not being true. You then reference tradition to explain Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge. I use the tradition you brought up to bring the conversation back to UA / VT, and there is no argument that VT > UA when it comes to football tradition, (or just being a better football job in general). You then decide I have no credibility.

Serious question: are you and Cordera drinking buddies?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

ramcat wrote:

So in summary: The debate is football: UA vs VT. You stated that Blacksburg is undersirable, which would affect recruiting. I pointed to Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge as examples of that not being true. You then reference tradition to explain Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge. I use the tradition you brought up to bring the conversation back to UA / VT, and there is no argument that VT > UA when it comes to football tradition, (or just being a better football job in general). You then decide I have no credibility.

Good to see you found this board tillman tunnell
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Quit being such a condescending ASSU clown SDD. While I agree that an undefeated ACC team gets in the playoffs over a 1 loss team from any league not named the SEC, I think a lot of his other points are spot on.

VaTech football is not a top 10 job like AZ Bball is so your comparison is leaking oil badly.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Scummy Dick Douglas

azcat49 wrote:Quit being such a condescending ASSU clown SDD. While I agree that an undefeated ACC team gets in the playoffs over a 1 loss team from any league not named the SEC, I think a lot of his other points are spot on.

VaTech football is not a top 10 job like AZ Bball is so your comparison is leaking oil badly.
VT is also a better job / football school than ASU. - does that make it easier for your to accept? Some programs simply have a lot more going for them. I never said VT was a top 10 job, I was pointing out (in terms I assume you understand) how one school is more attractive than another for a HC. When it comes to football, VT > UA, just like in basketball UA > ASU.

Its pretty easy to understand why RR would want the VT job. Him wanting that job is a no-brainer. The real question is does VT really want RR?
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

The last few pages of this thread contain some of the dumbest post and arguments I have ever seen around here. It's honestly pathetic. Most of it are people jumping to conclusions and asserting random facts just so they can be right about something that is completely negative and counterproductive. Just sad and pathetic. It's tantamount to "well my girlfriend talks to better looking guys than me at work, so eventually she is going to leave me for one of them."
jimson

Post by jimson »

Getting real sick of it all.

RR, if you are going to stay, welcome, can't wait to see what you do in years to come. If you want to leave, resign at the end of the ASU game, get the hell out immediately, take all your assistants with you and let us get on with our lives.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Oh get off your freaking high horse Splitsecond. This is a message board for fans of UofA fans to discuss pertinent and relevant topics relating to the football team. Whether you want to believe it or not, based on past history, the trajectory of this season as well as things most assume to be true about Rich Rod the man......there is a reasonable chance that IF offered the right opportunity, RR MIGHT decide to bolt.

What is so 'pathetic' about people discussing this and giving their two cents about why they feel it will or will not happen. Message police and message board shamers annoy the crap out of me. If you don't agree with someone's opinion then just submit your counterpoint. But give the 'dumbest this' and 'most pathetic that' bs a rest.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ramcat wrote:

Lol! Do you have difficulty comprehending Scummy?! The debate is not simply football, though I'm getting that you like twisting things to fit your narrative. This started, in regards to the above blog about three reasons RR should bail on the U of A, and go back east to someplace like V Tech. Number 1 was he won't win a championship in Tucson. My point was that his ability to win one with Virginia Tech is not decidedly better, when you factor the relative strength of the coastal ACC vs Pac 12 south; Strength of schedule, which is a big part of who makes the playoff and rankings. Number 2 was more fertile recruiting ground back east. Not sure that I completely agree with that as I think it's pretty evenly distributed, with the competition being fierce in both the West and East. I would say, that now that RR and staff has been working the West, and still has ties to some east or moreover SE areas of the country, that the recruiting difference would be negligible. My opinion is that, being I've been to both Blacksburg and Tucson, and witnessed the areas and climate, that the staff would have a better chance to get a recruit to Tucson who is in school back east vs getting a top recruit to leave Cali, Texas, Arizona etc.. and go to Virginia, all other things being equal. Don't think the tradition difference over weights this, due to the other factors in Tucson's favor and playing in Pac 12 vs ACC.

Once again, didn't think that I needed to point out the other very obvious things that go into recruiting, beyond the city where school resides. Recruiting is obviously more than just one thing. Get it?!! Tradition, city, coach, climate, closeness to family etc... When comparing V Tech, and AZ with regard to recruiting, in this discussion, yes V Tech has a better football tradition, much better! The coach would be both RR, climate in Tucson blows Blacksburgh away! The respective city's are both not great but still Tucson blows Blacksburgh away. So depends on what recruit would value more. It's not like V Tech has been a that great of late, but definitely had some great success going back 5-10 years. Once the tradition starts to fade a bit, not sure that it's that easy to sell anymore. The Cats being in the Fiesta last year, with consecutive wins over highly ranked Oregon, despite blow out in Championship, carries some strong recent weight.

Rich Rod's rep is not very strong so far that I've read when visiting the V tech board with some hating him and swearing to drop their season tickets if he become's coach. The way he left WVU is very well known by those in the state, and I'd imagine the parents, high school coach's and recruits in the area, would be too. So I think it's a stretch to think he could come there and immediately be looked at very positively. Starting over is not easy, and think there are some obvious steep hurdles he would need to clear. Couple that with the inherent questioning of the AD bringing in his golfing buddy to take over, could mean a very short leash if things don't go well. The poll I previously cited in this thread, indicated that 77% of 5000 or so people in the V Tech community, would not want RR unless he keeps the D coordinator that's in place! So unless he fires Casteel and his staff, RR is looking at a huge uphill battle to get the fans and university behind him.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

3. Fewer night games.

Do yawl agree with this.
1. "Won't" is different than "can't". "Will" he win a championship at another school? It is a ridiculous statement. "Can" he win a championship at Arizona. Yes, he can. He had an outside shot at the first ever playoff last year, if he had beaten Oregon for the 3rd consecutive time.

2. Ever hear of California? Pretty close, incredible football players, etc...

3. So he starts complaining, and then leaves? Maybe he is setting up a reason to leave, or maybe he's sick of it and wants to put the conference on notice for future years.

4. Arizona went out on a limb and hired him when no one else would. Think maybe that counts for something?

Some sports reporters are ridiculous. Anything to get people to read your article, right?

Go Cats!!
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Catstatic wrote: Maybe he is setting up a reason to leave, or maybe he's sick of it and wants to put the conference on notice for future years.
No matter why he's doing this, he's got a completely legitimate gripe. Arizona has been screwed with this schedule all around and adding multiple late conference starts on top of no bye week isn't kosher. I'd complain like hell too.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azcat49 wrote:Quit being such a condescending ASSU clown SDD. While I agree that an undefeated ACC team gets in the playoffs over a 1 loss team from any league not named the SEC, I think a lot of his other points are spot on.

VT is also a better job / football school than ASU. - does that make it easier for your to accept? Some programs simply have a lot more going for them. I never said VT was a top 10 job, I was pointing out (in terms I assume you understand) how one school is more attractive than another for a HC. When it comes to football, VT > UA, just like in basketball UA > ASU.

Its pretty easy to understand why RR would want the VT job. Him wanting that job is a no-brainer. The real question is does VT really want RR?
Agreed on most of your thoughts but once again you did it I n a very condescending manner to our school and our fans.

I guess that's just who you are
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Catstatic wrote:

3. Fewer night games.

Do yawl agree with this.
1. "Won't" is different than "can't". "Will" he win a championship at another school? It is a ridiculous statement. "Can" he win a championship at Arizona. Yes, he can. He had an outside shot at the first ever playoff last year, if he had beaten Oregon for the 3rd consecutive time.

2. Ever hear of California? Pretty close, incredible football players, etc...

3. So he starts complaining, and then leaves? Maybe he is setting up a reason to leave, or maybe he's sick of it and wants to put the conference on notice for future years.

4. Arizona went out on a limb and hired him when no one else would. Think maybe that counts for something?

Some sports reporters are ridiculous. Anything to get people to read your article, right?

Go Cats!!
I think I cover half of things you just posted on few pages back.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

You can't win a national championship at Arizona for football. We can't even win a conference title, how the hell are we ever going to win a national championship. It is impossible at Arizona to win a national title unless we got Oregon facilities which is probably never going to happen. Even then look at Oregon they haven't been able to do it. We can win national titles in many other sports at Arizona but not football.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ramcat wrote:
ramcat wrote:

3. Fewer night games.

Here thes article: http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-blog ... a-wildcats" target="_blank

Do yawl agree with this.

I disagree- you go undefeated and win the ACC, you are going to the playoff. Regarding the idea that because you didn't find Blacksburg to have much going for it, recruits won't either.... the same could be said about Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge. I wouldn't want to live in either of those places. And yet they still pull top ten recruiting classes littered with NFL talent every year.
As for recruiting... Even during their run of successful season - Va Tech has never recruited at a high level on a national basis. In fact, I have seen studies over the past 10 years or so (ask Winger, wherever he is) pointing out that Va Tech and Wisoconsin were the only schools with a program consistently ranked in the Top 25 that did NOT consistently pull top 25 classes.

Their program success has had more to do with coaching acumen and overachieving than it did with perception and cachet of the Va Tech FB program. If it did not, then VT would have recruited better.

In order to win big at Va Tech, a coach has to do more with less. Same applies to UA.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dirtbags wrote:
ramcat wrote:

3. Fewer night games.

Do yawl agree with this.

dunno if a move would mitigate #3. acc teams are still beholden to network affiliates and are subject to the scheduling shuffle of competing timeslots and viewer eyes from the b1g, sec, xii, etc. even moreso than the pac - hence, night games. it's just that he'll be playing night games in another timezone. and travel won't necessarily be any easier with a conference footprint that's as latitudinally spread as the pac coupled with the torrential downpours, floods, and intensifying hurricane seasons that now characterize the coastal atlantic region. the scheduling & travel argument seems dubious.
Let's not forget that WVU is also potentially in play here.

If that were to come to pass, I will laugh at anyone who points to travel distances and scheduling as a factor in RR's decision to leave (if it came to that) - considering he would be playing is a conference whose closest competitor is half a continent away.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Newportcat wrote:You can't win a national championship at Arizona for football. We can't even win a conference title, how the hell are we ever going to win a national championship. It is impossible at Arizona to win a national title unless we got Oregon facilities which is probably never going to happen. Even then look at Oregon they haven't been able to do it. We can win national titles in many other sports at Arizona but not football.
Just saw a great 30 30 documentary on ESPN about Colorado winning a National Championship; could say it was shared. But, if Colorado could do it, it certainly gives hope that a program like AZ could too. Okl, Neb, Texas and Notre Dame were dominant programs at the time amongst others but an awesome synergy took place with many factors in play, with coaching, recruiting and players. Far and away the exception and not the rule but still so gives a glimmer of hope to lesser programs, like the Wildcats and the Buffs were prior to that amazing run.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

ramcat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:You can't win a national championship at Arizona for football. We can't even win a conference title, how the hell are we ever going to win a national championship. It is impossible at Arizona to win a national title unless we got Oregon facilities which is probably never going to happen. Even then look at Oregon they haven't been able to do it. We can win national titles in many other sports at Arizona but not football.
Just saw a great 30 30 documentary on ESPN about Colorado winning a National Championship; could say it was shared. But, if Colorado could do it, it certainly gives hope that a program like AZ could too. Okl, Neb, Texas and Notre Dame were dominant programs at the time amongst others but an awesome synergy took place with many factors in play, with coaching, recruiting and players. Far and away the exception and not the rule but still so gives a glimmer of hope to lesser programs, like the Wildcats and the Buffs were prior to that amazing run.
Hell, Wyoming damn near won a national championship in 1967. 1967 was Darrell Mudra's first year at Arizona after taking over for Jim LaRue. Wyoming beat Arizona 36-17 in the first game of the season. They went on to be undefeated in the regular season and lost 13-20 to LSU in the Sugar Bowl. They should have been playing 'somebody' (LSU was only 7-3) for a Natty in that Sugar Bowl, except of course that back then it was decided by the regular season performance (67 was the last year that was true) and even though Wyoming was the only undefeated team in the country, they were disrespected by the poll voters because they only played in the WAC. Wyoming couldn't climb above #6 in the polls. Also the Sugar Bowl was probably the highest rank Bowl available to a WAC team - but really, a team that finished 6th in their conference?

1967 College Football Season
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I don't think it's impossible, but we would need to catch fire in a bottle that's for sure.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Impossible? Of course not. Every Div. 1 team has a chance each and every year. Very improbable? Sure.

Go Cats!!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

In 1998 we were one bad quarter away from playing in the national championship game.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Improbable. When/IF AZ wins a conference championship, I'll upgrade outlook. I'll start there, A Pac12 title. First things first. Validation. I've thought about what ifs for so long... validation

Which is why I Hope Utah stumbles more. Would be painful to see Utah get a Pac12 title before AZ. Painful.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Improbable. When/IF AZ wins a conference championship, I'll upgrade outlook. I'll start there, A Pac12 title. First things first. Validation. I've thought about what ifs for so long... validation

Which is why I Hope Utah stumbles more. Would be painful to see Utah get a Pac12 title before AZ. Painful.

Going to be a Stanford kind of year again. Utah benefited from the schedule this year, like Arizona did last year and Arizona State did the previous year. Still am not buying Utah as a team that can consistently win, much like Arizona.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Improbable. When/IF AZ wins a conference championship, I'll upgrade outlook. I'll start there, A Pac12 title. First things first. Validation. I've thought about what ifs for so long... validation

Duke has been in more Rose Bowls than UA.

Last UA sole conference championship was in the 1940s Border Conference. No WAC or PAC sole conference championships.

At least Nick Foles broke the no UA QB ever taking a NFL snap in the PAC era curse.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I have a different view. I absolutely want Utah to win the conference championship this year... then it would silence the defeatists who whine about the disadvantages that keep our program down. What advantages does Utah have over Arizona?

Now I say that with the qualification that I hope like hell we beat them this week, as we need a big win and have not yet had one this season. If that doesn't happen, I am a Ute fan all the way.

Before Harbaugh proved Stanford could again be a power, the conventional wisdom was that Stanford could never compete in the current environment because they would always be hamstrung by their academic requirements.

All it takes is one to prove what CAN be done, and the coach is still the biggest factor IMO. If Lite had never come here, we would be whining about why we could never win a conference by championship in BB, either. (And we also would likely not have the BB facilities we do... Funny how that works).

What we need, here, gentlemen, is an attitude adjustment! ;)
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Harvey Specter wrote:

I have a different view. I absolutely want Utah to win the conference championship this year... then it would silence the defeatists who whine about the disadvantages that keep our program down. What advantages does Utah have over Arizona?

What we need, here, gentlemen, is an attitude adjustment! ;)
I'm more selfish than you. I don't want to hear from ASSU fans specifically that even Utah beat AZ to a Rose Bowl. Leaving CUBuffs and AZ. Or the media for that matter announcing 1st time for Utah, leaving CU and AZ. Yes, I'm a more selfish fan.

And I have adjusted my attitude from before. I'm not just about hope, faith, what ifs and we were that close... I did that for 30 years. I've just added being more fact based to the hope. More validation in direction and accomplishments to a conference title. Not being a negative attitude. Just trying to be slightly more realistic with input. Still a Huge AZ fan. Will always be.
TuiTouchdown

Will Rich Rod leave after this season? (Poll)

Post by TuiTouchdown »

As the rumor mill continues to turn, I just wanted to check where we all stand with Rich Rod and what we all think.
Harvey Specter

Re: Will Rich Rod leave after this season? (Poll)

Post by Harvey Specter »

About what I would expect.

I picked #1, as I believe he will leave IF he is offered one of the 2-3 jobs that (I think) he wants.

I am far from confident that will happen.... So I think there is a decent chance he stays.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

HaCats wrote:Oh get off your freaking high horse Splitsecond. This is a message board for fans of UofA fans to discuss pertinent and relevant topics relating to the football team. Whether you want to believe it or not, based on past history, the trajectory of this season as well as things most assume to be true about Rich Rod the man......there is a reasonable chance that IF offered the right opportunity, RR MIGHT decide to bolt.

What is so 'pathetic' about people discussing this and giving their two cents about why they feel it will or will not happen. Message police and message board shamers annoy the crap out of me. If you don't agree with someone's opinion then just submit your counterpoint. But give the 'dumbest this' and 'most pathetic that' bs a rest.
Not to go all Pete Carroll on everyone, but the negativity is just pointless. People have a lack of faith all of the sudden because we have a bad year and an overrated program in the East Coast is hiring a coach? Sounds like "there is more grass in Maryland" to me. We have arguably one of the best AD's in the country who has shown NOTHING but commitment to continually improving both Basketball AND Football at the school. We have a coach who has said this is his last stop, and has already said he hasn't talked to anyone at Virginia Tech. Maybe he will leave, but so what if he does? Greg Byrne will not let us revert back to complete failure, and he will still keep doing everything he can to build the program. Tucson can be a football and a basketball town for so many reasons. I am frankly not worried about RichRod leaving, but if he does I believe we will continue to build.

What is LIKELY to happen? In my opinion a lot of leverage from RichRod to get the things done he has said he still wants done as far as facilities and program improvements. Just because we have a down year because of injuries and a tough schedule doesn't change anything that he and Byrne have done since he has been here.

In the end we all just sound like we only believe we deserve less with the woe is me and naysaying. This program has improved tremendously under RIchRod - and he has done NOTHING to show he doesn't love Arizona has much as Arizona loves him. It's just pointless stress and worry that to me can be discussed some, but the extent to which it is being discussed here is just ridiculous.

I mean fuck, look at this long ass reply I just drafted.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Harvey Specter wrote:About what I would expect.

I picked #1, as I believe he will leave IF he is offered one of the 2-3 jobs that (I think) he wants.

I am far from confident that will happen.... So I think there is a decent chance he stays.
Same here HS.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Depends who is brought in.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Very interesting thing has shown up in the poll so far after 14 votes.

I'll mention what it is a little later once more people have had a chance to vote, if they're so inclined.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I put yes and happy but that is dependent on who Byrne brings in and I think he has something up his sleeve
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
illcat

Post by illcat »

It's beyond me why any head coach would want to come to Arizona. Can't win a national championship, recruiting sucks, and no tradition. WHAAA WHAAA. Here is a novel idea disband the entire football program and save some money. Christ some of you are really pathetic if it doesn't happen when you think it should or this very second all is lost.

I will admit I don't like Casteel's defense, but it's obvious that Rich Rod was dealt a lousy hand this season. Injuries that played havoc with team chemistry and the like. Sure they should know how to win regardless but sometimes it just doesn't happen or come together like it should.

I am quite sure Rich Rod didn't make the move to Arizona with the family and tell his wife don't unpack too many boxes because the first lousy season we have we're outta here. Give the man more credit than that. Some of you need to put the big girl pants on and quit reading what Hansen writes.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
Sid

Post by Sid »

Voted No, and that makes me freaking very happy.

Think we win out & start getting positive press again as Rich Rod is genuinely liked in the media. Hopeful this will lead to new recruits (defensive studs) into opening up their recruitment as God knows immediate playing time will be available for those that can bring the heat.

Starts by knocking off a highly ranked ute team, let's get after it!

Bear Down
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:

Same here HS.
Then you got no faith that he will stay.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

RR isn't leaving. We got to wait and see what happen at the end of the season.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Same here HS.
Then you got no faith that he will stay.
I have faith that he may stay.

I do not have much faith they he will stay because he would rather be at Arizona than anywhere else. I'd love for him to be offered VTU job and decline it; I would love to be wrong.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He'll end up staying, because he won't have a choice.