Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cordera89

Re: Will Rich Rod leave after this season? (Poll)

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:About what I would expect.

I picked #1, as I believe he will leave IF he is offered one of the 2-3 jobs that (I think) he wants.

I am far from confident that will happen.... So I think there is a decent chance he stays.
Same here HS.
Then you got no faith that he will stay.
I have faith that he may stay.

I do not have much faith they he will stay because he would rather be at Arizona than anywhere else. I'd love for him to be offered VTU job and decline it; I would love to be wrong.
Harvey does VT or it fans have any desire of interest in RR except their AD. With all these rumor that trying to tell RR that he cant do it at Arizona. I have faith that RR will make the right decision of staying. But sometime that faith can back fire.
Sid

Re: Coach Rod

Post by Sid »

UAEebs86 wrote:In 1998 we were one bad quarter away from playing in the national championship game.
Exactly. I might also add if we would've lucked out & had a stud QB during that period of time, maybe (2) Natty's.....

How were our facilities back then? Arguably the worst in the nation!

Yep, we will never have a shot....were doomed.

lol
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Sorry to intercept but posted a poll in Coach Rod thread, that indicated 77% would only want want him if he retained D coordinator Foster. Otherwise, decidedly against is hire.
A little over 5000 were involved from V Tech community. Still a lot of disdain toward RR, due to the way he departed WVU.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

illcat wrote:It's beyond me why any head coach would want to come to Arizona. Can't win a national championship, recruiting sucks, and no tradition. WHAAA WHAAA. Here is a novel idea disband the entire football program and save some money. Christ some of you are really pathetic if it doesn't happen when you think it should or this very second all is lost.

I will admit I don't like Casteel's defense, but it's obvious that Rich Rod was dealt a lousy hand this season. Injuries that played havoc with team chemistry and the like. Sure they should know how to win regardless but sometimes it just doesn't happen or come together like it should.

I am quite sure Rich Rod didn't make the move to Arizona with the family and tell his wife don't unpack too many boxes because the first lousy season we have we're outta here. Give the man more credit than that. Some of you need to put the big girl pants on and quit reading what Hansen writes.
Here here! I stopped reading Hansen years ago. There is a reason he has never moved on to a larger market.
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

He's gone.

With the VT opening (and potential WVU opening) there's no way that he's going to stay. His stock is fairly high right now and who knows when the next opening for either of these schools will be.

Unless Arizona leaves the Pac-12 South (which will never happen), the job probably one of the least desirable jobs in the conference and will always be an uphill battle to get in the CFP to compete for a national championship.

I'm not happy that he's gone. I'll be okay with it as long as Byrne stays. If Byrne and RR go, I fear we'll end up with Mike Stoops version 2.0.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ramcat wrote:Sorry to intercept but posted a poll in Coach Rod thread, that indicated 77% would only want want him if he retained D coordinator Foster. Otherwise, decidedly against is hire.
A little over 5000 were involved from V Tech community. Still a lot of disdain toward RR, due to the way he departed WVU.
That is part of it, but I think it is also because most college FB fans do not think he is as great a coach as most of us believe. He has not purged the stain from his days at Michigan; last year was terrific, but severely degraded by the P12 championship beat down and disappointment at the Fiesta Bowl. This year is not helping.

Outside of Ann Arbor & Tucson (maybe Morgantown, too), very few have ever heard of "3 & Out"; they are not going to read it, and certainly are not going to take it as the word of God. I think most simply view him as an innovative and bright offensive mind that is another victim of the Peter principle.

That opinion is unlikely to change until he fields teams that are consistently ranked, consistently in contention for conference championships, and going to respectable bowls. I hop he does that in Tucson.

Even if he only came here to rehabilitate his image and reputation, he has not achieved that yet... Despite what many of us believe.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Not going anywhere.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ztonyg wrote: His stock is fairly high right now
UA
1-7 vs. LA teams
1-2 vs. rival ASU

Defense ranked below 100th in the last 2 years out of 127 teams.

3 embarrassing conference blowouts just this year.

UM
0-3 vs. tOSU (one of the biggest rivalries in the nation)
0-3 vs. MSU

1 winning conference record the last 7 years of coaching.

If I was him I would just take the money if someone wants him so bad. The ACC is much less competitive than the PAC-12. With the resurgence of both UCLA and USC, Arizona will be fighting for 3rd place each year in the PAC-12 south with ASU for some crappy money losing bowl.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

illcat wrote:It's beyond me why any head coach would want to come to Arizona. Can't win a national championship, recruiting sucks, and no tradition. WHAAA WHAAA. Here is a novel idea disband the entire football program and save some money. Christ some of you are really pathetic if it doesn't happen when you think it should or this very second all is lost.

I will admit I don't like Casteel's defense, but it's obvious that Rich Rod was dealt a lousy hand this season. Injuries that played havoc with team chemistry and the like. Sure they should know how to win regardless but sometimes it just doesn't happen or come together like it should.

I am quite sure Rich Rod didn't make the move to Arizona with the family and tell his wife don't unpack too many boxes because the first lousy season we have we're outta here. Give the man more credit than that. Some of you need to put the big girl pants on and quit reading what Hansen writes.
This is the only post people need to read regarding RR leaving. It really would not make any sense.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I'm glad some people are finally coming around and voicing their displeasure with all the whiny babies on these forums.

Yeah our season sucks. We're not 3 deep with 4 and 5 stars so we don't get to recover like the big programs.

Everyone gets a glimpse of a good season and applies UA basketball logic to our football program.

Calm down, life will go on.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
ramcat wrote:Sorry to intercept but posted a poll in Coach Rod thread, that indicated 77% would only want want him if he retained D coordinator Foster. Otherwise, decidedly against is hire.
That is part of it, but I think it is also because most college FB fans do not think he is as great a coach as most of us believe. He has not purged the stain from his days at Michigan; last year was terrific, but severely degraded by the P12 championship beat down and disappointment at the Fiesta Bowl. This year is not helping.

Outside of Ann Arbor & Tucson (maybe Morgantown, too), very few have ever heard of "3 & Out"; they are not going to read it, and certainly are not going to take it as the word of God. I think most simply view him as an innovative and bright offensive mind that is another victim of the Peter principle.

That opinion is unlikely to change until he fields teams that are consistently ranked, consistently in contention for conference championships, and going to respectable bowls. I hop he does that in Tucson.

Even if he only came here to rehabilitate his image and reputation, he has not achieved that yet... Despite what many of us believe.

Harvey again does VT or it fans show any desire to want RR as their HC. It basically the media that want him to become VT HC after what their seeing in the PAC 12 with the rise of USC and UCLA. Other than that it only the media and AD that want him their. We don't know if higher up at VT really want RR their to begin with.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Merkin wrote:
UA
1-7 vs. LA teams
1-2 vs. rival ASU

UM
0-3 vs.

If I was him I would just take the money if someone wants him so bad. The ACC is much less competitive than the PAC-12. With the resurgence of both UCLA and USC, Arizona will be fighting for 3rd place each year in the PAC-12 south with ASU for some crappy money losing bowl.
Those are some very scary numbers Merk. One would think RR knows those and that may be why he is so quick to get out of dodge and lock up another 5 year deal or at worse leverage us for an extension with a raise
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:
UA
1-7 vs. LA teams
1-2 vs. rival ASU

UM
0-3 vs. MSU

Do you think the AD at VT or Any team are going to look at his Losing record again Divisional Teams and Rival Teams. Let be honest, If he leave, He Leaving a stronger conference in the PAC 12 to Lesser competitive conference in ACC. That a downgraded of computation. It should not matter how strong the PAC 12 south is, Any team can be beating at any given day and RR know it. Why leave.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azcat49 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
UA
1-7 vs. LA teams
1-2 vs. rival ASU

UM
0-3 vs.

Those are some very scary numbers Merk. One would think RR knows those and that may be why he is so quick to get out of dodge and lock up another 5 year deal or at worse leverage us for an extension with a raise
If security is what he's after, well, he already has a contract for the next five years here plus the retention plan. He's pretty well paid and his pay will increase. If he were to leverage anything it would likely be money for assistants or facility guarantees.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

After leaving a good thing at WVU, RR said that the "grass isn't always greener." I'm not sure he'd be moving into a better situation at Va. Tech or South Carolina. The competition for talent in the area is intense. These are football first schools that won't have a lot of patience, especially with a guy like RR. Despite his marginal success at Arizona, the Michigan experience was a dumpster fire. If things go south early for him, the detractors will all point to what happened in Ann Arbor.

Beamer made the Hokie program. It's in the middle of nowhere Virginia. It's not like taking over a program like Southern Cal or UCLA where recruiting is a snap and there's an embarrassment of riches.

I think a lot of it depends on how RR views the Arizona program going forward. Does he feel like he can do better here? With mediocre talent he went 7-2 in the roughest, toughest division west of the Mississippi. He and everyone else knows he needs to pick up recruiting, especially on the defensive side of the ball.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azpenguin wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
UA
1-7 vs. LA teams
1-2 vs. rival ASU

UM
0-3 vs.

If security is what he's after, well, he already has a contract for the next five years here plus the retention plan. He's pretty well paid and his pay will increase. If he were to leverage anything it would likely be money for assistants or facility guarantees.

Sounds good to me. Give it to him
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
UA
1-7 vs. LA teams
1-2 vs. rival ASU

UM
0-3 vs.

Unless he ends the season with some serious fireworks, I am not on board with acquiescing to this. I'll reserve judgement, because the next 2 weeks mean a lot.

If he wins the next 2, a nominal raise is fine; it is not as though his salary is sub-standard relative to his peers in the conference... I read recently that he has the 3rd highest salary in the P-12 this season. He does not warrant being any higher than that, IMO; in fact I think that is pretty generous.

If he finishes badly against UT & ASU, and tries to leverage a big bump - Let... Him... Leave. I'll change my vote in the poll.

If he uses it to get improvements in facilities and raises for his assistants, then I'll view that differently. But his assistants (ALL of them) need to be accountable for delivering results - both in recruiting and on the field.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Harvey again does VT or it fans show any desire to want RR as their HC. It basically the media that want him to become VT HC after what their seeing in the PAC 12 with the rise of USC and UCLA. Other than that it only the media and AD that want him their. We don't know if higher up at VT really want RR their to begin with.
I don't think any big time program fan bases are excited at the prospect of getting Rodriquez as their head coach. Louisville fans were adamantly opposed to the idea of bringing in RR when that rumor was being floated. Last year was the crown jewel achievement of his post-WVU days, and the only one in which he has had a winning conference record - but I do not think that was enough to change people's minds... Especially in lieu of how this season has gone.

Folks in Morgantown might feel differently... but I think that's about it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I really like the way Harvey thinks. One thing though, only the AD at VaTech counts and he was the AD at WVU in RR'S heyday there. That might count for a lot.

What bugs me about this whole deal is that RR seems to be posturing that he wants out or wants more of something. Kind of sucks either way. Just been a non enjoyable year
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
UA
1-7 vs. LA teams
1-2 vs. rival ASU

UM
0-3 vs.

Unless he ends the season with some serious fireworks, I am not on board with acquiescing to this. I'll reserve judgement, because the next 2 weeks mean a lot.

If he wins the next 2, a nominal raise is fine; it is not as though his salary is sub-standard relative to his peers in the conference... I read recently that he has the 3rd highest salary in the P-12 this season. He does not warrant being any higher than that, IMO; in fact I think that is pretty generous.

If he finishes badly against UT & ASU, and tries to leverage a big bump - Let... Him... Leave. I'll change my vote in the poll.

If he uses it to get improvements in facilities and raises for his assistants, then I'll view that differently. But his assistants (ALL of them) need to be accountable for delivering results - both in recruiting and on the field.
I'm on board with this. Ya can't apply leverage on the back of a crappy result.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Oops, read the poll question wrong. Move my 'Yes and that makes me happy' vote to the opposite, please! I think he'll stay, and I think he's a good fit for the UA. Got to improve that defense though.

If he leaves this season, he's a selfish creep with no values.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Someone would have to be interested enough for that to happen. So no, he's not leaving and I'm indifferent either way.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Puerco wrote:Oops, read the poll question wrong. Move my 'Yes and that makes me happy' vote to the opposite, please! I think he'll stay, and I think he's a good fit for the UA. Got to improve that defense though.

I'm pretty sure you can change your own vote until it closes. I remember some of the shenanigans during the hot or not showdown.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Don't see a change option. TOS definitely had that function, though.
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

RichRod has been feeling grouchy lately, but not because he so desperately wants to bail on Arizona. No, I think it's because he's competitive and really hates losing.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

TyrantCat wrote:RichRod has been feeling grouchy lately, but not because he so desperately wants to bail on Arizona. No, I think it's because he's competitive and really hates losing.
I love how people say this like it is an unique trait. Did he sound like this at Michigan?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RR going after JC players: http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... recruiting" target="_blank

Pac-12 Power Rankings: Rich Rodriguez may not be long for Arizona http://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/876764" target="_blank

RichRod hot candidate for South Carolina: http://www.sportingnews.com/list/466081 ... ide/375635" target="_blank

RR to VT rumors picking up steam: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /75381090/" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Maybe RR had decided that giving up an average of 40 points and 470 yards to PAC teams is not acceptable, but has no idea what he can do about it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
TyrantCat wrote:RichRod has been feeling grouchy lately, but not because he so desperately wants to bail on Arizona. No, I think it's because he's competitive and really hates losing.
I love how people say this like it is an unique trait. Did he sound like this at Michigan?
BLAME THE FANSSSSSS
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

50/50, IMO. I voted yes, but that is dependent on him being offered at a school he has interest in. There are a number of hot names right now.

Frankly, this poll hits on a big reason to stay. Arizona is in the midst of a disappointing season. Message boards are home to the most extreme, knee jerk reactions, and he still has overwhelming support. At most other schools, the buzz would be about him being on the hot seat.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

my choice isn't there. I'd rather he stay but if he goes I won't be mad or overly happy. If he stays i won't be ecstatic either. Overall I'd just rather he stay and we see how next year goes with actually having a bye and hopefully a healthier older team with an easier schedule.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Machina

Post by Machina »

ASUHATER! wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
BLAME THE FANSSSSSS
Local and national writers have said the fan support is an issue. Why you think it isn't doesn't is wrong.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Frankly, this poll hits on a big reason to stay. Arizona is in the midst of a disappointing season. Message boards are home to the most extreme, knee jerk reactions, and he still has overwhelming support. At most other schools, the buzz would be about him being on the hot seat.
This is exactly what I was going to point out from the poll that I mentioned above. After 14 votes, 7 were "Yes he's going to go and that makes me sad"; in other words, they want him to stay. 7 were for "No he isn't going to leave, and that makes me happy"; again, they want him to stay.

At that point there were no other votes, so out of 14 votes every single person wanted him to stay. Even now looking at the votes, you have 47 people who want him to stay and 3 that want him to go. That's overwhelming support when you're having good seasons; considering the season we've had it's even more amazing.

So as you say, the support is there and extremely strong.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Puerco wrote:Don't see a change option. TOS definitely had that function, though.
wyo-cat wrote:
Puerco wrote:Oops, read the poll question wrong. Move my 'Yes and that makes me happy' vote to the opposite, please! I think he'll stay, and I think he's a good fit for the UA. Got to improve that defense though.

I'm pretty sure you can change your own vote until it closes. I remember some of the shenanigans during the hot or not showdown.
I fixed the poll to allow for posters to change their votes.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:my choice isn't there. I'd rather he stay but if he goes I won't be mad or overly happy. If he stays i won't be ecstatic either. Overall I'd just rather he stay and we see how next year goes with actually having a bye and hopefully a healthier older team with an easier schedule.
This is where I find myself as well.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Merkin wrote:RR going after JC players: http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... recruiting" target="_blank

Pac-12 Power Rankings: Rich Rodriguez may not be long for Arizona http://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/876764" target="_blank

RichRod hot candidate for South Carolina: http://www.sportingnews.com/list/466081 ... ide/375635" target="_blank

RR to VT rumors picking up steam: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /75381090/" target="_blank
The azcentral link is about a week old, and none of the three coaching rumor links contain new info. FWIW, Scheer tweeted that he's hearing that RR is falling off VT's radar and that he's still in play for Maryland and South Carolina. As for Maryland, I don't know if he goes back to the Big Ten in what would be a lateral move at best, with an impatient AD. I don't think the SC boosters will buy into the 3-3-5 working in the SEC, and there's also the Judy Van Horn issue there. Maybe there's a surprise in store for all of us, but we'll see. If I had to guess I'd say Fuente to Maryland and Herman to South Carolina.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

SCCats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Frankly, this poll hits on a big reason to stay. Arizona is in the midst of a disappointing season. Message boards are home to the most extreme, knee jerk reactions, and he still has overwhelming support. At most other schools, the buzz would be about him being on the hot seat.
This is exactly what I was going to point out from the poll that I mentioned above. After 14 votes, 7 were "Yes he's going to go and that makes me sad"; in other words, they want him to stay. 7 were for "No he isn't going to leave, and that makes me happy"; again, they want him to stay.

At that point there were no other votes, so out of 14 votes every single person wanted him to stay. Even now looking at the votes, you have 47 people who want him to stay and 3 that want him to go. That's overwhelming support when you're having good seasons; considering the season we've had it's even more amazing.

Don't get me wrong. I am a big RR fan but I think he wants out and I think Byrne can pull in someone good so that is why I voted the way I did. If there was an option of waiting to see who comes in I would have chose that.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I haven't seen any evidence that he wants out. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but I haven't seen anything that tells me he wants to go. Just a lot of the usual chatter.
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

azpenguin wrote:I haven't seen any evidence that he wants out. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but I haven't seen anything that tells me he wants to go. Just a lot of the usual chatter.
Yep.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

SCCats wrote:

I have alluded to this repeatedly in the past. Arizona has a patient and supportive, if not zealously enthusiastic, fan base. That has its downsides in terms of fan support when the team is not performing especially well.

It also means that people will not be calling for his head at every sign of trouble. Pick your poison.

You can have a fan base like ours, or one that sells out loud and proud come rain or shine - and they'll be preparing to roast you on the fire when you face going 2-7 in conference 4 years in.

You don't get one without the other, and RR should be seasoned enough to understand that. Intimately. That's the real world.

In his 3rd year at Michigan while he was getting filleted online and in the media by the fanbase, he said "they needed to get a life".

Well, now he has a fan base that has one. He has to decide what he wants, because he is not going to get it both ways.

I'd love to have a boss that is soft on me and hard on anyone who gets in my way. Haven't seen one yet. Either he is hard-ass on his people and a great asset to have on your side in a conflict, or he's easy on you and everybody else.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Machina wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
BLAME THE FANSSSSSS
Local and national writers have said the fan support is an issue. Why you think it isn't doesn't is wrong.
That's fine. He wants a crazily supportive fanbase, then he better be prepared to deliver consistently better results than he has since he left Morgantown.

A vast majority of the fans who consider it their 'duty' to support their team come rain or shine also believe it is their team's duty to win. Period.

PS - I love when people point to a coach who hates to lose as a positive. Any coach who doesn't is in the wrong profession. Making life miserable for those around you when the going gets tough is a natural response, and it is also usually the wrong one.

I don't sense RR is doing this, but it generally does nothing but make the angry fans/ shareholders/ etc feel better - because misery loves company. If you aren't surrounded by people in your organization who hate to lose without any help, you have the wrong people.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

azpenguin wrote:I haven't seen any evidence that he wants out. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but I haven't seen anything that tells me he wants to go. Just a lot of the usual chatter.
I wouldn't expect you would. Not during the season. RR smart enough and careful enough not to burn any bridges or impact the program and his players.

But it's the quietness or vague responses to the rumors that people jump on as possible tea leaves. Oh, and the media trying to get their clicks and eyeballs (and subscriptions). I know, silly. Most of them don't know squat. Just read how they word their articles on open HC jobs and candidates. "likely", "could", "maintain", "expect", "insiders", "hearing"...

I would say RR's response or lack thereof is a bit different this time around. He also has an agent who's job it is to play politics, leverage if they can, play the backdoor game. Even some of AZ players parents took notice this time around. I don't like it for recruiting either (unknown and publicly unknown). Either for current commits or those trying to decide on committing. I'm sure coaches saying they're staying, but assume recruits parents keep some doubt or concerns until HC Hires done or a coach publicly announces intent (stay or go)

Unfortunately, the webs and rumors cause havoc. In a weird way for those who want RR to stay, this tough season just may help with that happening.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Harvey Specter wrote:I'd love to have a boss that is soft on me and hard on anyone who gets in my way. Haven't seen one yet. Either he is hard-ass on his people and a great asset to have on your side in a conflict, or he's easy on you and everybody else.
A good boss demands excellence but is also cognizant that sometimes there are impediments to achieving that, and is willing to take the entire picture into consideration. When things aren't going right they still want to see you're making the best efforts possible to make the most of the situation and to be ready to seize the moment when the storm clears. I'm fortunate to be working for such people right now. I've also worked for people that demand excellence, but wouldn't know it if it bit them in the ass, have no idea how anything gets done, have no idea what your resources are, and refuse to give you the time or resources you need.

Having been around several types of bosses... I prefer the first kind. It may not get you results this second but it leads to long-term success and I'm seeing that now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote:

Miami has a better record than we do and they fired a coach midseason. At other programs, people would have been calling for RR's head after the UW loss.

I'm not sure that a good deal of it is not just that Arizona fans have seen so many disappointments before that they are realistic to fatalistic about exactly how good a coach we're getting. We are not one of those delusional fanbases (Texas) that thinks Saban or Chip Kelly is walking through that door if RR leaves.

It is what it is, but it says a lot that even on the internet, when push comes to shove in a down year, people don't want him to go. Go to tigerdroppings and see the number of LSU fans who want Les Miles gone after they lost to Bama. The heat in Tucson is only atmosphere.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

Your point about fan bases is spot on.

Look at Nebraska and Mike Riley.

After every loss there this season, the internet was flooded with fans who wanted to fire him.

It's his very first season and there's no leeway among those fans.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
I wouldn't expect you would. Not during the season. RR smart enough and careful enough not to burn any bridges or impact the program and his players.

But it's the quietness or vague responses to the rumors that people jump on as possible tea leaves. Oh, and the media trying to get their clicks and eyeballs (and subscriptions). I know, silly. Most of them don't know squat. Just read how they word their articles on open HC jobs and candidates. "likely", "could", "maintain", "expect", "insiders", "hearing"...

I would say RR's response or lack thereof is a bit different this time around. He also has an agent who's job it is to play politics, leverage if they can, play the backdoor game. Even some of AZ players parents took notice this time around. I don't like it for recruiting either (unknown and publicly unknown). Either for current commits or those trying to decide on committing. I'm sure coaches saying they're staying, but assume recruits parents keep some doubt or concerns until HC Hires done or a coach publicly announces intent (stay or go)

Unfortunately, the webs and rumors cause havoc. In a weird way for those who want RR to stay, this tough season just may help with that happening.
There isn't any response that RR can give right now that would put an end to all of this. Even "I'm not going anywhere" would get picked apart and dissected. Doesn't matter - the media would still run with it and throw his name out there for any high profile open jobs.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

azpenguin wrote: There isn't any response that RR can give right now that would put an end to all of this. Even "I'm not going anywhere" would get picked apart and dissected. Doesn't matter - the media would still run with it and throw his name out there for any high profile open jobs.
Exactly. Just noting that different this time. Which is where people looking to find something will read into something like the difference. And I "maintain" that even IF RR wanted to leave AZ, it would be to another place like VT where he has a friend as AD AND is close to his home where he may feel more comfortable. Nothing wrong with that. IF one can, they should be able to work AND live where they want. Even if it's just temporary (michigan)...

Could be other secondary things like fan base or football school, but I "maintain" not the top issue on RR's list. He knew what AZ was before he got here. Think to him facilities or progress in facilities, pay, being dedicated for what resources there are to make the program better ranks higher on his list. And keeping his staff together.

I also "maintain", VT and RR starting to fade a bit with their boosters, fan base and with current AZ season. Makes it a harder sell. I "think" it would be tough for RR to get a VT offer with a divided booster/fan base IF RR was looking. But I don't know squat either.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
azpenguin wrote: There isn't any response that RR can give right now that would put an end to all of this. Even "I'm not going anywhere" would get picked apart and dissected. Doesn't matter - the media would still run with it and throw his name out there for any high profile open jobs.
Exactly. Just noting that different this time. Which is where people looking to find something will read into something like the difference. And I "maintain" that even IF RR wanted to leave AZ, it would be to another place like VT where he has a friend as AD AND is close to his home where he may feel more comfortable. Nothing wrong with that. IF one can, they should be able to work AND live where they want. Even if it's just temporary...

Could be other secondary things like fan base or football school, but I "maintain" not the top issue on RR's list. He knew what AZ was before he got here. Think to him facilities or progress in facilities, pay, being dedicated for what resources there are to make the program better ranks higher on his list. And keeping his staff together.
I don't know how much I buy into the Babcock connection. Yes, they're friends, but Babcock has to make a smart business decision. VT is very reliant on football for athletic department revenue and a polarizing hire like RR could be trouble. Another issue is that RR played for WVU long before he coached there, and WVU and VT are bitter rivals. The fan base at VT isn't big on RR (I think that would change shortly if he was hired) but a loss in donations or ticket sales would hurt the entire athletic department there. I think the "it's different this time" stems from the amount of schools that he's been listed as a candidate for, and the fact that this all started mid-season. If this was after the season we'd have the answers already and speculation would be finished. Instead, the rumor mill will churn non-stop until hires are announced. We haven't seen a situation like this before with so many jobs open so early in the season.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:I'd love to have a boss that is soft on me and hard on anyone who gets in my way. Haven't seen one yet. Either he is hard-ass on his people and a great asset to have on your side in a conflict, or he's easy on you and everybody else.
A good boss demands excellence but is also cognizant that sometimes there are impediments to achieving that, and is willing to take the entire picture into consideration. When things aren't going right they still want to see you're making the best efforts possible to make the most of the situation and to be ready to seize the moment when the storm clears. I'm fortunate to be working for such people right now. I've also worked for people that demand excellence, but wouldn't know it if it bit them in the ass, have no idea how anything gets done, have no idea what your resources are, and refuse to give you the time or resources you need.

Having been around several types of bosses... I prefer the first kind. It may not get you results this second but it leads to long-term success and I'm seeing that now.
I completely agree. The best boss you can have is one that is tough but reasonable and fair. Bosses that are 'soft' might make life easy/ comfortable in the short term, but they don't usually drive performance in the long term - and they don't usually prove to be much help when times get tough.

Fan bases are mobs. They are typically either fanatical or reasonable... almost never both. One exception? A program where the current coach BUILT the program from nothing: see Arizona BB under Lute, VTU FB under Beamer, etc.

Replacement coaches don't get that kind of loyalty until it is earned over time, and (after the first year or two) USUALLY only if success precedes eventual stumbles.