Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Will Rich Rod leave after this season? (Poll)

Post by Chicat »

Hold Scheer accountable? How? And for what? Passing along rumors? Yeah, that's not allowed on the interwebs...

:lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Chicat wrote:Hold Scheer accountable? How? And for what? Passing along rumors? Yeah, that's not allowed on the interwebs...

In believing him. It is a joke. He's not a journalist, so no guidelines to follow. But one can judge how good or not his rumors are. Which is why I added that he said the same rumor with many other openings. Grain/salt stuff
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
Chicat wrote:Hold Scheer accountable? How? And for what? Passing along rumors? Yeah, that's not allowed on the interwebs...

In believing him. It is a joke. He's not a journalist, so no guidelines to follow. But one can judge how good or not his rumors are. Which is why I added that he said the same rumor with many other openings. Grain/salt stuff
Acting like Scheer is some sort of journalistic authority is a joke. Any one who takes his musings as having some insider scoop needs to recalibrate their expectations.

The longer the ntSC job remains open, the more likely an RR hire becomes. This could be going down exactly as I have feared.i really hope not.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:

You mentioned Louisville. If memory serves, there were tons of people (journalists and otherwise) who said he was a candidate for that job. Whole articles were written about it. Because it didn't happen that somehow disqualifies Scheer alone from ever commenting on RichRod's job prospects?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Chicat wrote:Because it didn't happen that somehow disqualifies Scheer alone from ever commenting on RichRod's job prospects?
No, not at all. It was wrong though. If I recall, RR shot that down pretty quick. Came out "quickly" after rumors from Louisville that RR would not be a candidate there.

In my earlier post I also added that Wolken also wrong many times. So Scheer not alone. I was also asking for more info/background/details than just Scheer's generic tweet that some think it means RR and ntSC. Tweet Didn't even mention RR. But I think it's OK for a forum to point out he/they wrong alot. Or at least add some meat to the rumor (like Louisville's)...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

"Wrong" is a funny term to use when discussing coaching carousel rumors.

I mean, if everyone was held accountable for any rumor they pass along in that regard, they'd be "wrong" about 90+% of the time and no one would ever be believed about anything. Just because RR isn't the current coach of Louisville, doesn't mean he wasn't a candidate, didn't entertain the idea, his agent/reps didn't talk to people at that program and so forth.

97Cats called Sean Miller to Maryland. Told everyone it was all but a done deal. Sean Miller is still the coach at Arizona. Should we hold 97 accountable for being "wrong"? When he tells us that Allonzo Trier, or Stanley Johnson, or Aaron Gordon are locks to be Wildcats, should we all say, "Yeah, but you were wrong about Sean Miller to Maryland..." Because CSM didn't end up taking the job?

I've seen enough people over the past few weeks talk about RR being a fallback option for South Carolina that even if RR is the coach of Arizona next year I'm not going to say that Jason Scheer was "wrong". There is obviously at least some smoke there. If Scheer doesn't address it, and RR does fly the coop and land in Columbia, then Cat fans who follow him would be saying, "But you never even mentioned South Carolina! You were WRONG!"
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Chicat wrote:I've seen enough people over the past few weeks talk about RR being a fallback option for South Carolina that even if RR is the coach of Arizona next year I'm not going to say that Jason Scheer was "wrong". There is obviously at least some smoke there. If Scheer doesn't address it, and RR does fly the coop and land in Columbia, then Cat fans who follow him would be saying, "But you never even mentioned South Carolina! You were WRONG!"
OK, he wasn't wrong and you're right. We can all have our own assessments.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
Chicat wrote:I've seen enough people over the past few weeks talk about RR being a fallback option for South Carolina that even if RR is the coach of Arizona next year I'm not going to say that Jason Scheer was "wrong". There is obviously at least some smoke there. If Scheer doesn't address it, and RR does fly the coop and land in Columbia, then Cat fans who follow him would be saying, "But you never even mentioned South Carolina! You were WRONG!"
I don't care that Scheer is or was wrong, what I do care about is that he acts like he has the inside scoop and then condescends those who challenge them. Not a good formula.

That and he thinks he is a sports journalist and acts like a fan with his panties in a bunch when recruit spurns the school whose fan site he runs.

He is a fan site moderator, nothing wrong with that. It's a good gig... Just stop pretending like he is something he isn't.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Harvey Specter wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
I don't care that Scheer is or was wrong, what I do care about is that he acts like he has the inside scoop and then condescends those who challenge them. Not a good formula.

That and he thinks he is a sports journalist and acts like a fan with his panties in a bunch when recruit spurns the school whose fan site he runs.

He is a fan site moderator, nothing wrong with that. It's a good gig... Just stop pretending like he is something he isn't.
Very much like with Greg Hansen, you would probably be surprised with who talks with Scheer. I know it isn't going to change your mind but he's not who you say he is. Very unassuming guy and a great guy to hang with and talk sports with.

Thing is, most everybody thought he was gone to VT and it made all the sense in the world and one has to wonder what went wrong? I got my info from two former UA coaches who swore that a deal had been locked up with RR to VT for awhile now. Like it wasn't even a question that RR was taking the VT job. 4 weeks later and he never even got an offer from VT.

The South Carolina deal is just a cluster fuch at this point. They thought they had Herman locked up and didn't bother to have a plan B or C because they were so sure that they were getting Herman. Then when that went South they thought they had Smart because no way Georgia is firing Richt? Now they're scrambling and rumors have been running wild as to whether or not RR is in the picture there. My guess is even if they did call RR at this point I think he says no. Nobody wants to be the only guy who said yes, when everybody else said no, unless you don't have a choice and you really need the job.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I know what happened at VT. Can't go into too much detail, but it rhymes with "Tree Free Drive".
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

lol
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

dc4azcats wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:

Very much like with Greg Hansen, you would probably be surprised with who talks with Scheer. I know it isn't going to change your mind but he's not who you say he is. Very unassuming guy and a great guy to hang with and talk sports with.

Thing is, most everybody thought he was gone to VT and it made all the sense in the world and one has to wonder what went wrong? I got my info from two former UA coaches who swore that a deal had been locked up with RR to VT for awhile now. Like it wasn't even a question that RR was taking the VT job. 4 weeks later and he never even got an offer from VT.

The South Carolina deal is just a cluster fuch at this point. They thought they had Herman locked up and didn't bother to have a plan B or C because they were so sure that they were getting Herman. Then when that went South they thought they had Smart because no way Georgia is firing Richt? Now they're scrambling and rumors have been running wild as to whether or not RR is in the picture there. My guess is even if they did call RR at this point I think he says no. Nobody wants to be the only guy who said yes, when everybody else said no, unless you don't have a choice and you really need the job.
So you talked to two "former" UofA coaches? Are these coaches still coaching somewhere else that competes for the same recruits we want? Did you ever stop to think maybe they were blowing smoke up your rear end?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

To keep Casteel?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chicat wrote:

What in the world would he want and one would assume to some degree he asked the same of us when he was being courted. Would love to know what those things were past his buds coaching with him. Any guesses?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Imagine that...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Could be anything from a private jet for recruiting to a membership at Augusta National.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Lifetime supply of Flaming Hot Cheetos.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Subscription to Scout SC. That was bad... :(
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I think we can swing a free BDW premium script if he stays.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So it wasn't Cheetos...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:So it wasn't Cheetos...
I bet they were involved though.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol that's pretty funny. Maybe he actually does like arizona.

I like my crow with orange sauce. Fire up the grill.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dc4azcats wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:

I can hazard a guess as to what happened with VT... and I do not doubt that your info was legit and solid. But most people close to and around the UA program think RichRod walks on water, and do not see that the rest of the world sees him very differently.

The AD wanted to hire RR until the alumni and boosters showed up with torches and pitchforks and he was forced to go in a different direction. Gives a possible alternative view to Rich Rod's considerably more aggressive coaching style/ play calling in the last 3 games.

Nobody wants to be the 3rd choice, except Pete Carroll. I suspect RR doesn't either, and took the position with ntUSC "If you want me now, it is going to cost you". They may have moved on, but they may have no choice but to rethink their position, because they are drowning in a very public way, and need a life raft. Quickly.

I feel better than I did, but I will not fully exhale until they announce a new coach in Columbia.

As for Scheer, I have never met him and do not doubt he is a good guy. But his Twitter persona, and the quips he makes on that medium, are uber-douchey.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azgreg wrote:
I bet they were involved though.
Any person in a position of any kind of power has a Cheeto number in mind, in case a head hunter ever comes calling. That I can tell you with certainty.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My Cheeto number to start posting at PGU is in the millions . . . of tons.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Austin Powers - 100 billion dollars: http://youtu.be/jTmXHvGZiSY" target="_blank
the real dill

Rich Rod to interview with South Carolina

Post by the real dill »

CalStateTempe

Re: Rich Rod to interview with South Carolina

Post by CalStateTempe »

We're fucked.
Chicat

Re: Coach Rod

Post by Chicat »

Merged your thread into this one Dill . . . . mostly because if I see another thread dedicated to whether RichRod will stay or go I might drink cheap whiskey until my liver falls out of my butthole.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

You mean they didn't decide to go hard after Muschamp???

Once the South Carolina search started to go sideways it wasn't too hard to imagine these talks would occur. We will see what the result is.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

On a totally separate note, journalists used to use two independent sources before publishing stories. Is that no longer the standard? This story says that one source indicated there would be an interview. Unless that source is the USC AD or RichRod himself, why no corroboration?
Salty

Post by Salty »

Jesus, these rumor mills are annoying as fuck.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Meh, at this point if he wants to go to what is the 4th best job in the SEC East and the 8-10 best job in the conferece, let him.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

uacat540 wrote:Meh, at this point if he wants to go to what is the 4th best job in the SEC East and the 8-10 best job in the conferece, let him.
And considering his salary here and the bonus structure they'd probably need to pay him somewhere around $3.5M a year just to match salary and retention bonuses, and that's assuming he gets no salary bump up for moving across country.

So if they want to pay him $3.5M+ a year and he wants to take that marginal job....then have at.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Peace.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote:
uacat540 wrote:Meh, at this point if he wants to go to what is the 4th best job in the SEC East and the 8-10 best job in the conferece, let him.
And considering his salary here and the bonus structure they'd probably need to pay him somewhere around $3.5M a year just to match salary and retention bonuses, and that's assuming he gets no salary bump up for moving across country.

So if they want to pay him $3.5M+ a year and he wants to take that marginal job....then have at.
And we'll hire Sonny Dykes and probably not miss a beat.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Chicat wrote:
SCCats wrote:

+100

At least Dykes can make defensive coaching adjustments.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:On a totally separate note, journalists used to use two independent sources before publishing stories. Is that no longer the standard? This story says that one source indicated there would be an interview. Unless that source is the USC AD or RichRod himself, why no corroboration?
Now that I realize it was Feldman, makes sense that it came from RR himself.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dan Mullen! Hi Greg!

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Don't know that Mullen wants to leave the SEC. The recruiting scraps he picks up in that area are world's better than the recruits he could get to come to Tucson.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Sure. Sonny's salary is reported at $2M a year. Have him become the HC and OC for $2.5M a year and pony up $750,000-$1M a year for a top level DC and defensive recruiter = no beats missed
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote:
Chicat wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Sure. Sonny's salary is reported at $2M a year. Have him become the HC and OC for $2.5M a year and pony up $750,000-$1M a year for a top level DC and defensive recruiter = no beats missed
And no more shitstain 3-3-5.

I will miss Dudek and the videos though...
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

RichRod to meet with SC? Suppose they need to hire somebody. Why not a 6-6 coach?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can a mod merge the 2 threads?

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:And no more shitstain 3-3-5.
It'd be real nice to get rid of the 3-3-5.

And I know it's going to piss me off just a little bit if RR accepts the South Carolina job and then announces he's bringing in a different DC. So we'll watch for that.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Starting to remind me of Tommy Tuberville

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... i/1763615/" target="_blank

Saw Dykes was interviewing everywhere so I guess that can be a backup. But one more bubble screen and I'll throw a football at his head.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Threads merged.