Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: Coach Rod

Post by Harvey Specter »

Fishclamps wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:And declines them all to stay here. You really seem stuck up on that. You're bombing in this thread Harvey..call it a day ok?
He could have moved back near his hometown, had better recruits, and more money, and yet he turned it down to come back here.

Why do people not understand that point?
You don't even know if he was actually offered.
Well it was reported he was offered so I'm gonna go with that.

Unless were saying the report is wrong, in which case I don't even know if he actually interviewed.
It has been reported that he DID get an offer (by him) and that he didn't (by South Carolina). Both have incentive to lie, so it looks like one of them is.

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. My guess is he gave them a number to get him to go, and they made an offer that would not meet his $ demand. He says they made him "an" offer - they say "we would not meet his demands and decided to go in a different direction".

Either way it is finished. Let's gear up for the NM Bowl so that it can pump a shot of adrenaline into our final recruiting push as we head towards signing day. These extra practices in the next 2 weeks should pay dividends in our push for the Division crown next fall.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I'm not mad at Richard for looking at his options.

I'm angry because he can't beat ASU and his 2015 team was pathetic. Scooby Wright wasn't saving that garbage.

He looks like a total buffoon to anyone without an Arizona bias.

Jeff Casteel is getting all of these guys fired anyways...

Low expectations are wonderful drugs.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

chiefzona wrote:Ok guys. I got the lowdown. For me this is going to seem strange but this is what I was just told from a source I completely trust. RR told the players the night before the interview that he was not going to interview until after the bowl season. However, the next day he decided to interview. He told the players that he was going to interview but he promised them he would not take the job and that he would coach them next season. He also said to ignore the negative press. The catch is that the source says that if RR got a good enough offer he would have taken it. But, on the flight back home he decided not to and now most of the players are very happy with RR because they believe he was true to them. He also told the recruits the same thing which is why you don't see any decommits other than Watson and that was over a grayshirt situation. RR is sneaky but he pulled off a genius plot. I give him a pass on this one. Very smooth on his part.
Heard the exact same thing on how rich Rod handled it with the players and my source is as good as they come
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Ok guys. I got the lowdown. For me this is going to seem strange but this is what I was just told from a source I completely trust. RR told the players the night before the interview that he was not going to interview until after the bowl season. However, the next day he decided to interview. He told the players that he was going to interview but he promised them he would not take the job and that he would coach them next season. He also said to ignore the negative press. The catch is that the source says that if RR got a good enough offer he would have taken it. But, on the flight back home he decided not to and now most of the players are very happy with RR because they believe he was true to them. He also told the recruits the same thing which is why you don't see any decommits other than Watson and that was over a grayshirt situation. RR is sneaky but he pulled off a genius plot. I give him a pass on this one. Very smooth on his part.
Heard the exact same thing on how rich Rod handled it with the players and my source is as good as they come
Assuming this is 100% true (which is a pretty big jump)... The Key takeaways would be:

1. Our OKG FB players are as naive and gullible as the bottom 1/3 of the sorority girls they try to (and often successfully) bang every weekend.

2. RR makes it a habit of manipulating situations for his own advantage, with little regard for keeping his word. Lots of people do this, and losts of successful people pull it off. I don't respect them, but I have zero influence over his future, so who cares?

3. RR did not get a good enough offer from SC to leave, so he stayed. Which is what I have suspected since the news broke last night.

He is coming back. I hope he closes the recruiting class strong and KICKS ASS next season.

He will leave, and we will be in a good position to hire a capable replacement.

Time to focus on basketball...
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:And declines them all to stay here. You really seem stuck up on that. You're bombing in this thread Harvey..call it a day ok?
He could have moved back near his hometown, had better recruits, and more money, and yet he turned it down to come back here.

Why do people not understand that point?
You don't even know if he was actually offered.
He was offered.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Trust me how rich Rod handled this with his players is 100% true

If he would have left, I honestly think some of them might have kicked his ass when he spoke to them again to tell them he was leaving.

But he didn't and the only thing for him to do know is win next year period. Year 5 is a win big year. Another stinker and hit the road jack

Rich Rod believes he is a top level coach and knows of he puts up a stinker next year he is basically done from ever getting a top job. That's why I do have more confidence then usual we will actually have a good season.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Assuming this is 100% true (which is a pretty big jump)... The Key takeaways would be:

1. Our OKG FB players are as naive and gullible as the bottom 1/3 of the sorority girls they try to (and often successfully) bang every weekend.

2. RR makes it a habit of manipulating situations for his own advantage, with little regard for keeping his word. Lots of people do this, and losts of successful people pull it off. I don't respect them, but I have zero influence over his future, so who cares?

3. RR did not get a good enough offer from SC to leave, so he stayed. Which is what I have suspected since the news broke last night.

He is coming back. I hope he closes the recruiting class strong and KICKS ASS next season.

Once again, spot on.

My sentiment for RR is now similar to what Dean Martin (reportedly) once said to Jerry Lewis about sentiment: "Jer, when I look at you all I see is a fucking Dollar sign".

New Mexico Bowl? How exciting. Time for some basketball. Thank God for GB.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

It's true. Just because you felt personally insulted for some reason by RR you're now permanently biased to believe the opposite of reality
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

If I was RR, I'd be gun shy about having a job search and interviews so transparent for public consumption. All it does is hurt your image as "Arizona's coach." It certainly can't help his recruiting efforts to Arizona. Or his reputation with his current players. Or the fans. This is "bird in the hand better than two in the bush" argument. Only RR has damaged the bird in hand.

It may not have been RR's fault the SC coaching search became so public. But the moment it did, he should've decided to withdraw immediately, or taken the job. Now he just looks bad to his own program and fanbase and the future going forward is going to be about lack of trust. That can't be a healthy thing for a program.

I don't fault him for looking at other jobs. But there are ways to show interest and curiosity without it being so public. RR shouldn't have been the one on a plane to see Ray Tanner about a job. It should be the other way around. That's how it appears Greg Byrne handled things.

The only positive I take from this is that it looks at though Byrne was working hard behind the scenes as SC search was playing itself out. Byrne wasn't about to be caught unprepared and did his work. My question is what the hell was Ray Tanner doing for the last month? He could've been flying around the country and meeting with all the necessary candidates discreetly. He looks like he has no idea of what he is doing, even if they end up hiring the guy they wanted all along.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Thats not a ton of money. Wonder how much they would of/did offer RR..
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

This is how it went down...based on my imagination..

SoCar: We need a coach...put the feelers out.

RR: I'd do it if they give me 5mm and let me keep the band together

SoCar: no thanks..we'll keep looking

SoCar: wiff on Herman....wiff on Fuente...wiff on Smart...okay, so we have Muschamp...what did RR want again? Is he willing to negotiate?

RR: I'll accept a free flight to talk...but I am not going to SoCar and it is not an interview

SoCar: plane is on its way..we'll meet up in NoCar and have a few beers

fast forward to a lake house in NoCar.

SoCar: So...will you accept 4MM and you can bring your whole crew except Casteel?

RR: Hm, let me think about it.

on the plane back to Tucson...RR calls Rita

RR: Rita, they want to pay 4mm but we'll can't bring the Casteels.

Rita: Roddy...I am best friends with Mrs. Casteel...no can do

RR: Ok....

Plane lands

RR: No thank you..I'm a Wildcat.

SoCar: OK...get Muschamps agent on the line.

...and the rest is history with deniability on both sides. Silly to beat up RR for having a price and being willing to listen to their pitch. This is America last time I checked. He is our coach, get over it, and buy season tickets already.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Whether or not RR received an offer or not, doesn't much matter now. He was seriously looking for another landing spot. Byrne said "offer" in his tweet and RR said yesterday mutual interest and not enough to move on both ends. Semantics.

It is somewhat similar playbook to what RR said to WV fans when he turned down Alabama. "There weren't many reasons not to go. It's all about the reasons for staying," Rodriguez said "We're not done yet. "We're going to continue to grow."

Leaks came from SC and why so public. RR didn't fly all the way over to east coast out of curiosity and KNOW he wouldn't take the job before he went. May be what he told his players, but come on. Byrne didn't likely get on a plane to potentially start meeting face to face with potential replacements if he didn't think RR was seriously considering. RR and AZ didn't stay quiet about the RR interview for so long because it wasn't real. Even Byrne said there's always risk and potential downsides when something like this goes public. Of course there is. The "both ends" quote from RR throws some doubt. And I'm sure there was some curiosity with the VT job. Just didn't rise to the point of getting on a plane (that we know of).

But this one is over, at least until when or if Dana Holgorson survives next season at WV. If he doesn't, or WV having bad season, media will start with the RR to WV hype quickly. And I expect that will be even more deafening than this time. Fans will grow tired of it.

Who knows, Dana Holgorson may have a banner year and will not come to play. If it does, because of how it played out with SC, I would expect AZ to refute any interest early on or if they stay quiet. well you know... WV would be a rumor AZ would respond to quickly if it could. Hell, they put a WV specific buyout clause in RR contract. (imo).

There's a weird vibe going on now. AZ will try to hype for the NM Bowl. Operate like all normal. I'm not sure it is, even within assistant coaches. Some of the Players parents have seemed to be very cynical of this RR-SC stuff on twitter. RR needs to win next season or more fans will begin to turn on him. Injuries or no injuries. Pendulum swing.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

It's true. Just because you felt personally insulted for some reason by RR you're now permanently biased to believe the opposite of reality
Well congratulation on missing completely the point of that disclaimer (but that is to be expected)... It was to give RR the benefit of the doubt.

The implication that he promised his team that 100% he'd be back, without any intention of keeping his word if he could squeeze South Carolina for enough money, is pretty disconcerting. I have been a skeptic throughout this process, but I'd like to believe that's not true.

But you're still apparently young enough to know everything, so I guess it must be.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Gilbertcat wrote:Thats not a ton of money. Wonder how much they would of/did offer RR..
I would bet a pretty fair sum they offered the exact same deal they offered Muschamp, and that is why he's back.

SC "What is it going to take to get you in Columbia, Rich?"

RR "Not a penny less than $4M per over 5 years, cover my buyout back in that arid heat sink of a town they call Tucson, and I want a retention plan that matches the one I've got now. Out of curiosity... How many conference championships, COY awards, and BCS bowl games does Muschump have on his resume?"

SC "OK Rich... That's not in the cards, but we would consider something along the lines of your current contract; that would go a long way in Columbia. As for Coach Muschamp, he's won more BCS conference games than he has lost in the last decade. Your Uber driver is here."

RR "Thanks for your time. I'll expect to hear from you in a couple years, but my phone # might change. My agent will keep you updated with current contact info"

SC "We never offered him the job"

RR "Yes they did"
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:
Ya it's spot on. He handled it as well as he could. Yesterday though, when he was asked about the South Carolina offer, he was caught off guard and stumbled on his words completely and then said....well, I wasn't expecting that question. Haha.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Ya it's spot on. He handled it as well as he could. Yesterday though, when he was asked about the South Carolina offer, he was caught off guard and stumbled on his words completely and then said....well, I wasn't expecting that question. Haha.
Yeah, because that one was really hard to see coming. Stick with coaching, Rich - and don't play chess for money.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
chiefzona wrote: Ya it's spot on. He handled it as well as he could. Yesterday though, when he was asked about the South Carolina offer, he was caught off guard and stumbled on his words completely and then said....well, I wasn't expecting that question. Haha.
Yeah, because that one was really hard to see coming. Stick with coaching, Rich - and don't play chess for money.
If you're talking about the banquet press availability where he talked about the New Mexico bowl, I believe the press liaison told the reporters to only ask about the bowl game, the banquet, or the players but they rightfully ignored it and asked anyway.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Liked Dr. Hart's comment on the RR situation "Let's be mature".

Again, it's a business. No chump change either. AZ will try to put on a good face. They have to and they should. They're selling a product. Even if it's all known RR not wholly married to the program. Nothing wrong with that, happens most everywhere. Schools break contracts with coaches too. Fire them and pay buyouts. Works both ways.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's like this is a business and not just a multimillion dollar industry that operates under the auspices of school spirit.

I just don't really understand being bent out of shape about this. There are a few genuine love affairs between college and coach, but the overwhelming majority of college positions are based in the idea of a mutually beneficial transaction.

I don't blame RR. If he performs poorly enough, we will fire him. It's how the business goes.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think expecting the people employed by these schools to treat college football as anything other than a business is inherently silly.

I also think that expecting fans who have a passion (fanaticism even, since that's the etymology of the word "fan") for these schools and programs to treat it like a business is also somewhat silly.

I have made tens of thousands upon tens of thousands of posts, tweets, facebook status updates, emails, conversations, and so on in regards to Arizona sports. It is most definitely something I'm passionate about. And my fandom is certainly not a business, even though it contributes to the bigtime business of college athletics. So while many of us do understand at some level how dispassionate coaches, ADs, college presidents, members of the media and so on have to be when dealing with the myriad subjects and issues that come up when these kids aren't on the field or court, we also understand that at it's heart college sports is about love and hate and other feelings that have nothing to do with business.

After we beat Gonzaga, or lost to ASU, my first thought wasn't, "eh, it's a business". It was "HOLY FUCKING SHIT WE WON!!!" and "OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS SUCKS!" respectively. I understand that won't be Byrne's or RR's or SM's response, but I'm a fan. I don't follow Arizona sports because it's a business, even if it most definitely is one.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:Thats not a ton of money. Wonder how much they would of/did offer RR..
I would bet a pretty fair sum they offered the exact same deal they offered Muschamp, and that is why he's back.

SC "What is it going to take to get you in Columbia, Rich?"

RR "Not a penny less than $4M per over 5 years, cover my buyout back in that arid heat sink of a town they call Tucson, and I want a retention plan that matches the one I've got now. Out of curiosity... How many conference championships, COY awards, and BCS bowl games does Muschump have on his resume?"

SC "OK Rich... That's not in the cards, but we would consider something along the lines of your current contract; that would go a long way in Columbia. As for Coach Muschamp, he's won more BCS conference games than he has lost in the last decade. Your Uber driver is here."

RR "Thanks for your time. I'll expect to hear from you in a couple years, but my phone # might change. My agent will keep you updated with current contact info"

SC "We never offered him the job"

RR "Yes they did"
For the record, summers in Columbia, South Carolina are arguably worse than summers in Tucson. The beach is just two hours away, but it's like a sauna in Columbia. Mosquitos carry away small children.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Chicat wrote:I also think that expecting fans who have a passion (fanaticism even, since that's the etymology of the word "fan") for these schools and programs to treat it like a business is also somewhat silly.

After we beat Gonzaga, or lost to ASU, my first thought wasn't, "eh, it's a business". It was "HOLY FUCKING SHIT WE WON!!!" and "OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS SUCKS!" respectively. I understand that won't be Byrne's or RR's or SM's response, but I'm a fan. I don't follow Arizona sports because it's a business, even if it most definitely is one.
Agree with this. Most of us have a unique different type of relationship with a school than a coach, AD or school marketing program does. Fandom is mostly geographical. Fans grow up and learn to be fans of local programs because of their location and what they experience, observe and peers love or school they attended or family attended. Or, they have some special connection to it. It's what we grow up with and learn to love that's different than those hired in.

Why South Carolina fans all think no offer was made and most AZ fans saying it was. A powerful tool is when fan bases start defending and protecting their programs. Schools love that. It helps protect the product.

Schools use that as a tool to garner the passion you reference. #BeTheOne, #WhyNotAZ, #HardEge and #PullTheRope. My belief schools want you to have passion and unconditional love for a program until they don't. Then we're reminded what it is, like Dr. Hart's "Let's be mature". And Programs ultimately know that because of that special affection and relationship fans have with their programs, they will always be fans regardless.

Nothing wrong with that, because when it comes down to it... it is a business.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Liked Dr. Hart's comment on the RR situation "Let's be mature".

Again, it's a business. No chump change either. AZ will try to put on a good face. They have to and they should. They're selling a product. Even if it's all known RR not wholly married to the program. Nothing wrong with that, happens most everywhere. Schools break contracts with coaches too. Fire them and pay buyouts. Works both ways.
Ok, you posted this right as I was hitting submit on my similar post.

I understand Chicat's feelings. I screamed long and loud after we beat Gonzaga. It is different as a fan, and I get that we would (in a perfect world) want a coach that saw Arizona as something special like I do. It just isn't like that, though. I will frequently profess my (non creepy) love for Sean Miller, but he was close to taking a Maryland job.

What I really want is a coach that delivers the elation of winning. If that is coupled with a love for the U of A, so much the better, but I understand the real world. When I separate out from the emotion of the games, it is easier to see college sports for what they are: a business.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

I feel sorry for GB. Putting his heart and soul into making UA football a successful business, just like Ced and Lute once did for basketball, but GB can't get his coach to cooperate. First, his coach turns out a mediocre to lousy product, so as to reduce fan support (revenues). Then the idiot flies off to South Carolina to very publicly interview for another job. That fiasco is followed pretty much silence on the issue or stonewalling. Now, what's that going to do for fan support, not to mention player support and recruit interest? How is that kind of behavior going to help his employer build his business? Right.

In business we depend on support from our employees to build our business and prosper. We depend on them to do their jobs well, the ones for which they are being paid, and we depend on them not to fuck up. Got that, Rich?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrMeow wrote:I feel sorry for GB. Putting his heart and soul into making UA football a successful business, just like Ced and Lute once did for basketball, but GB can't get his coach to cooperate. First, his coach turns out a mediocre to lousy product, so as to reduce fan support (revenues). Then the idiot flies off to South Carolina to very publicly interview for another job. That fiasco is followed pretty much silence on the issue or stonewalling. Now, what's that going to do for fan support, not to mention player support and recruit interest? How is that kind of behavior going to help his employer build his business? Right.

In business we depend on support from our employees to build our business and prosper. We depend on them to do their jobs well, the ones for which they are being paid, and we depend on them not to fuck up. Got that, Rich?
You keep topping yourself with more and more idiotic posts.

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
MrMeow wrote:I feel sorry for GB. Putting his heart and soul into making UA football a successful business, just like Ced and Lute once did for basketball, but GB can't get his coach to cooperate. First, his coach turns out a mediocre to lousy product, so as to reduce fan support (revenues). Then the idiot flies off to South Carolina to very publicly interview for another job. That fiasco is followed pretty much silence on the issue or stonewalling. Now, what's that going to do for fan support, not to mention player support and recruit interest? How is that kind of behavior going to help his employer build his business? Right.

You keep topping yourself with more and more idiotic posts.
It's pretty incredible.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

FootballScoop reported that Tanner's claim of inaccuracy was, in all likelihood, inaccurate, saying that Rodriguez was offered the job and that the contract offer Muschamp ultimately accepted — paying him approximately $3.2 million per year — was the same contract offered to Rodriguez by the Gamecocks.

It's also approximately the same amount Rodriguez already earns per season as Arizona's coach.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:I think expecting the people employed by these schools to treat college football as anything other than a business is inherently silly.

I also think that expecting fans who have a passion (fanaticism even, since that's the etymology of the word "fan") for these schools and programs to treat it like a business is also somewhat silly.

I have made tens of thousands upon tens of thousands of posts, tweets, facebook status updates, emails, conversations, and so on in regards to Arizona sports. It is most definitely something I'm passionate about. And my fandom is certainly not a business, even though it contributes to the bigtime business of college athletics. So while many of us do understand at some level how dispassionate coaches, ADs, college presidents, members of the media and so on have to be when dealing with the myriad subjects and issues that come up when these kids aren't on the field or court, we also understand that at it's heart college sports is about love and hate and other feelings that have nothing to do with business.

Great post, Chi - sums it up perfectly.

As many have posted, business also has nuances. A guy with wanderlust who goes after every opening he might be considered just needs to be aware there can be consequences, too.

Let's say next year we go 7-5... and we find out some top-tier coach's wife has an ailment that requires her to move to a dry desert climate. Would it be kosher for Byrne to work behind the scenes to see if he wants to come here - and if he does, he terminates RR's contract?

It seems like a no-brainier to me, but I suspect that any AD who did that would likely get blasted in the media.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:
FootballScoop reported that Tanner's claim of inaccuracy was, in all likelihood, inaccurate, saying that Rodriguez was offered the job and that the contract offer Muschamp ultimately accepted — paying him approximately $3.2 million per year — was the same contract offered to Rodriguez by the Gamecocks.

It's also approximately the same amount Rodriguez already earns per season as Arizona's coach.
Money grab gone that didn't turn out as he hoped. Would have been a pay cut considering the retention pool.

Exactly what I figured happened....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey Specter wrote: Money grab gone that didn't turn out as he hoped.
No insider knowledge, but my thoughts too. Just waiting for the next level up position to open up. Not going to bother with lateral transfers. Going to need a really good year for that, along with the major changes to the defense.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote: Money grab gone that didn't turn out as he hoped.
No insider knowledge, but my thoughts too. Just waiting for the next level up position to open up. Not going to bother with lateral transfers. Going to need a really good year for that, along with the major changes to the defense.
We're going to need a major change to the defense in 12 days.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Chicat wrote:I think expecting the people employed by these schools to treat college football as anything other than a business is inherently silly.

Great post, Chi - sums it up perfectly.

As many have posted, business also has nuances. A guy with wanderlust who goes after every opening he might be considered just needs to be aware there can be consequences, too.

Let's say next year we go 7-5... and we find out some top-tier coach's wife has an ailment that requires her to move to a dry desert climate. Would it be kosher for Byrne to work behind the scenes to see if he wants to come here - and if he does, he terminates RR's contract?

It seems like a no-brainier to me, but I suspect that any AD who did that would likely get blasted in the media.
and if 3 of the 7 wins are OOC cupcakes (as usual), and one the the 5 losses is to ASU (as usual)? Maybe the Mrs. doesn't need an ailment.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Richrod is not going to get fired for a winning football record at a basketball school.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

If any of the coaches or GB read this post, they would absolutely feel sorry for you...
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I really think RR maybe got an offer but wasn't good enough financially to be a difference maker with what he has at AZ. I think he came back to AZ to collect his first installment check of the longevity fund in March.

I was wrong yesterday that RR would have collected full fund value if he was terminated this year. The key date is actually through the 2017 season. He'll collect the March check and the next key date for AZ is March 2018 when he collects another installment AND becomes 100% vested if AZ terminates him without cause after that. He's under contract until 2020 now.

Have no way to know, But I also think RR keeping his options open for possible opening at WV. Holgorson's contract is guaranteed until 2017, but each January, that goes down another $2 million. This coming January RR/AZ WV buyout expires. That's another million RR doesn't have to worry about to cover after next season. Not saying he's going to WV, saying he has lots and lots of close friends that are very very large WV boosters who would push for him to go back. Some that sit on the BoG until early 2018 (alvarez) and others like Kendrick
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well I personally hate that we will waste 6M on a guy who may not want to really be here. Most people would say that kind of comp brings some stickyness with it but with RR I just don't feel any sense of loyalty.

Like many have said, this is a business and now the cards are on the table so RR, win and win often. No more blow outs and fix that Damn defense
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg wrote:Richrod is not going to get fired for a winning football record at a basketball school.
Especially when no coach in the WAC and PAC eras has ever won a sole conference championship.

Even if the Cats go 6-7 this year, it's just another year in the misery of UA football.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Olsondogg wrote:Richrod is not going to get fired for a winning football record at a basketball school.
"Basketball school" with a football AD.

The amount of money and effort this AD has put into the football program means this school should expect premium results.

If it's not delivered, you bet RR will get fired.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

In this day and age of football being a business and how it's been for coaches...yeah RR can get fired. If we win 5-6 games next year I bet anything he's on the hot seat for 2017 and it's 8 wins or he's out.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Salty wrote:

The amount of money and effort this AD has put into the football program means this school should expect premium results.

No he wont. Richrod will leave long before the talk of getting fired arises.

And don't kid yourself. UA is a basketball school, there is zero debate about that.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Money grab gone that didn't turn out as he hoped. Would have been a pay cut considering the retention pool.

Exactly what I figured happened....

I doubt it was a money grab, more like them calling him and him saying "I've got something good going at Arizona and if you want me, you have to make it worth my while to start all over again." Hence why he threw an insane number at them expecting them to say no. Saying it's a money grab implies he is just trying to get as much cash as he can no matter where he has to go to do it. If that was the case he would have gone to Louisville.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Salty wrote:

That's what I was getting at in an earlier post. With the SC fiasco, RR has surely stretched GB's patience. Football is way too important to GB, and GB has put way to much money and effort into building a program (business), to tolerate less than premium results now. Hot seat in 2017? How about now? As evidenced in the Stoops firing, and in the RR hiring, GB moves fast when he feels he needs to.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Olsondogg wrote:
Salty wrote:

And don't kid yourself. UA is a basketball school, there is zero debate about that.
There's no reason to be a condescending ass about the football program.

This school can have an elite basketball program and a very good football program. No reason to believe otherwise.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Salty wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Salty wrote:

This school can have an elite basketball program and a very good football program. No reason to believe otherwise.
There is plenty of reason to believe otherwise. It's called history.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ASUHATER! wrote:In this day and age of football being a business and how it's been for coaches...yeah RR can get fired. If we win 5-6 games next year I bet anything he's on the hot seat for 2017 and it's 8 wins or he's out.
This had to be a tough year for Byrne: team going 3-6 in conference with many (if not all) of those six losses having our D give up 40s and 50s in those games.

So let's consider a hypothetical. Byrne has a conversation with Rich about how to improve things with Byrne specifically asking him about the defense. Rich says it was just injuries and we're sticking with the same coaches, but next year will be better and we will get back to winning. Byrne says 'Ok, if that's your call on the situation that's the call.'

Next year (in year five, mind you) we go around 3-6 in conference again, giving up 40s and 50s in a vast majority of those losses.

If that happens I would guess there's a significant chance the axe falls not just on Casteel as Byrne can't risk a third year like those last two.

Next year will be interesting, indeed.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Olsondogg wrote:
Salty wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Salty wrote:

There is plenty of reason to believe otherwise. It's called history.
Whatever dude.

I'm all in for both programs. No need to be negative about either one.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If we have better luck with injuries and everyone comes back that we hope will, with the easier schedule...we can be a 9-10 win team.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Very little difference in total defense this season and last season. Both teams ended up in 100s out of 127 teams. Bottom 10 this year and bottom 20 last year.

It's not just injuries to the defense. More so injuries to the offense kept Anu and Wilson off the field.

Red zone defense is bottom 5.
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'd love to have the feeling entering the football season that I do about basketball. I haven't since the 90's.