Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

DaddyO'Cat

Re: Coach Rod

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

uacat540 wrote:This is what you get for hiring your drinking buddy who refuses to recruit while getting paid 400+K a year. The defense is not THAT terrible, you can just see there is no depth. Arizona stays in a game for a half and then poops the bed in the 2nd half due to depth. I have been highly impressed with Yates, that may be the biggest recruit RR ever had. This year is a lost season, every team has one...look at Michigan State this year. Its about how he rebounds this year and what happens, i think there is about to be a massive upheaval in the South. Mora seems disinterested, Helton/USC is a disaster, CU has a senior laden team, Utah is Utah and ASU is backing into a 10 win season with a defense that would not win a JV game. Arizona's injury issues are no longer an anomaly and i hope RR looks into strength and conditioning issues and tries to figure it out. If RR goes, id keep Yates. I think that guys has the energy and connections to become a very good coach. He understands the importance of Southern California.
The bolded part. (hope it worked, using tablet & never done it before anyways... Part about assu). This is what sticks in my craw! That sleazy lemon selling used car salesman Madonna wristbands up north has been paper tigering his teams into "successful" seasons by BACKING INTO THEM MULTIPLE TIMES while we've been loking like the Danny Devito character in Twins. (with Arnold Schwarzenegger). And I had the exact same thought right before so done right above posted about RR's lose big lose small win small win big sales pitch that actually does sound good & sounds logical but the proof is in the pudding with his workmanship. He did reasonably well with stoop's troops while whining about cupboard & had one good Scooby year because of finding a diamond in the rough. With that said, I'm not clamoring for the guys head this year & really do feel for Yates & Donte & hope they get more to work with next year but I just ain't happy with the way the captain has ran his ship if you get my drift. I get that its a tough job & hope he gets humbled & ADAPTS & we get to rockin' & rolling before long. Hash tag drunk rant over ....
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

This part of the board is dead. D! E! D! (Spawn movie). .... & RR killed it.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

All of you guys are just drinking the cool aid and lashing out of saying Arizona Football should be better than anyone Big Boy team in the power 5 conference. Ok 2-4 of the year, How can we justified that this year was going to happen they way it is. No one predicted Anu get hurt after week 1, Wilson getting injury again, Bradford getting arrested and kick off the team, Taylor getting his ankle broken and done for the year and couple of Oline getting hurt. No one predicted that our offense would explode In year 5.

As for our defense, our new defensive staff have a lot work to do.

As for the season itself it already a lost cause, if we somehow sneak 2 or 3 win again CU, OSU and Wassu? were straight. Stanford and USC? their no chance in hell we upset one of them, And granddaddy of the all ASU? listen we all know RR is 1-3 and gunning for his head if he lose a 4th in 5 year to them, It not the end of the world. How many HC have lost to their rival at 1-3 start and still survive to coach their team for another couple of years. Mike Gundy at OK state is like 2-8 against Oklahoma and he still has his job. Or what about Lloyd Carr against Ohio State he was like 1-7 against them so on etc.

I will cheer for RR and Arizona to the end and the rest of yawl can just sit their and cry like baby. It just disappointed Year.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I'm not sure why or how some of you can even call yourselves fans. Seems to me that you're always calling for someone's head and trashing them. Its almost like you want them to fail. RR has two injury riddled seasons and this one is probably going to be a losing one and you're going to throw him under the bus.The roof is leaking so lets don't fix the roof, lets tear down the house and rebuild it. That doesn't make sense to me. This is not a team without talent. Its a team that doesn't have quite enough talent and a lot of its talent is injured. I look at how much progress the defense has made in just one season and the better recruiting won't really kick in for at least another year but more than likely two. This is going to be a defense I want to watch. Give RR a little bit of credit. He did a gut check last year and fired two good friends because they weren't pulling their weight. Yea maybe he should have or could have done it a year earlier but you don't throw your friends under the bus without some serious thought. I 'm not going to condemn him for being loyal to friends. The fact is he addressed the problem.
If next year the onslaught of injuries continues and the depth problem isn't at least a bit better then give me a torch. I'll lead the frenzied crowd to the castle gate myself and call for his head. But not this year.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It's how the business works now. You have x amount of years to produce or you get fired, no matter the circumstances. Doesn't mean it is right but it is true.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

tgrumpy2 wrote:I'm not sure why or how some of you can even call yourselves fans. Seems to me that you're always calling for someone's head and trashing them. Its almost like you want them to fail. RR has two injury riddled seasons and this one is probably going to be a losing one and you're going to throw him under the bus.The roof is leaking so lets don't fix the roof, lets tear down the house and rebuild it. That doesn't make sense to me. This is not a team without talent. Its a team that doesn't have quite enough talent and a lot of its talent is injured. I look at how much progress the defense has made in just one season and the better recruiting won't really kick in for at least another year but more than likely two. This is going to be a defense I want to watch. Give RR a little bit of credit. He did a gut check last year and fired two good friends because they weren't pulling their weight. Yea maybe he should have or could have done it a year earlier but you don't throw your friends under the bus without some serious thought. I 'm not going to condemn him for being loyal to friends. The fact is he addressed the problem.
If next year the onslaught of injuries continues and the depth problem isn't at least a bit better then give me a torch. I'll lead the frenzied crowd to the castle gate myself and call for his head. But not this year.
What an outstanding post. This. Exactly.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:It's how the business works now. You have x amount of years to produce or you get fired, no matter the circumstances. Doesn't mean it is right but it is true.
To throw RR and the Staff under the bus with injury riddle team in year 5.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Um, yep?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

tgrumpy2 wrote:I'm not sure why or how some of you can even call yourselves fans. Seems to me that you're always calling for someone's head and trashing them. Its almost like you want them to fail. RR has two injury riddled seasons and this one is probably going to be a losing one and you're going to throw him under the bus.The roof is leaking so lets don't fix the roof, lets tear down the house and rebuild it. That doesn't make sense to me. This is not a team without talent. Its a team that doesn't have quite enough talent and a lot of its talent is injured. I look at how much progress the defense has made in just one season and the better recruiting won't really kick in for at least another year but more than likely two. This is going to be a defense I want to watch. Give RR a little bit of credit. He did a gut check last year and fired two good friends because they weren't pulling their weight. Yea maybe he should have or could have done it a year earlier but you don't throw your friends under the bus without some serious thought. I 'm not going to condemn him for being loyal to friends. The fact is he addressed the problem.
Given the state of the program after 5 years of RichRod, fans are perfectly justified in calling for change. Now that RR has his own OKG's throughout the roster, the program is in worse shape than when he took it over. The offensive regression is particularly worrisome. There are no roster excuses allowed any more. The roster is all RichRod's. Injuries as an excuse? Okay, but not over and over. Build better depth on your roster, coach. Everything else is under his control, so no excuses to be found elsewhere.

That all said, I'm happy to be a little patient, mostly because of the defensive staff changes RR made. I praised him for that, and he deserves the time to show it makes a difference. However, that's on one side of the ball. If the offense inexplicably goes to crap, then we'd be justified burning the whole thing down sooner rather than later. And I've got to admit that I'm worried about the offense. Very worried.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Oh god the "bad fan" criticisms

How substantive
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RRod making the "Hot Seat" lists:

https://campusinsiders.com/news/college ... 0-10-2016/" target="_blank

10. Rich Rodriguez, Arizona (Last Week, NR)

RichRod is not in imminent danger. Repeat, not in imminent danger. He’s too well-liked in Tucson. At the current pace, though, he’ll begin 2017 with a lot to prove in what will be his sixth year with the program. The Wildcats peaked when they won the Pac-12 South in late November of 2014. Since then? Just 9-12, including 3-10 in conference play. The product is declining, the talent level is on a downward slope and the team is a step behind ASU in recruiting. In other words, there are shades of the Mike Stoops era, something Arizona was determined to escape.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I would hope he's not in imminent danger right now. Even the beloved Dick Tomey had losing seasons and he lost with "his" players. RR addressed the defensive issues and we're already seeing improvement on that side of the ball. On the offensive side, let's see, our starting center died, both our starting quarterback and his backup got hurt, our top running back got hurt, his backup got arrested and the third string guy broke his leg. So yea, lets throw the coach under the bus.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

This isn't the early 90s anymore.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am sure GB is wise enough to see progress and injuries and the fact U of A could easily be 4-2
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Puerco wrote:
Given the state of the program after 5 years of RichRod, fans are perfectly justified in calling for change. Now that RR has his own OKG's throughout the roster, the program is in worse shape than when he took it over. The offensive regression is particularly worrisome. There are no roster excuses allowed any more. The roster is all RichRod's. Injuries as an excuse? Okay, but not over and over. Build better depth on your roster, coach. Everything else is under his control, so no excuses to be found elsewhere.

That all said, I'm happy to be a little patient, mostly because of the defensive staff changes RR made. I praised him for that, and he deserves the time to show it makes a difference. However, that's on one side of the ball. If the offense inexplicably goes to crap, then we'd be justified burning the whole thing down sooner rather than later. And I've got to admit that I'm worried about the offense. Very worried.
Best record over a 5 year span including a division championship and bowl games? You're 100% correct. This team is a dumpster fire and it's all because of Rita's Nacho's.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

whatisee wrote: Best record over a 5 year span including a division championship and bowl games? You're 100% correct. This team is a dumpster fire and it's all because of Rita's Nacho's.
Well, not a true comparison between now and any other time.

Divisions are very recent.
35 bowl games for 70 times, over half of Div I get in.
Playing FCS schools counts every year now, used to be only counted once every 4 years.
The OOC conference schedule is embarrassing.

Look at Larry Smith's record. In today's world, he would get a bowl game every season. Assuming of course the Cats weren't on probation.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:

Best record over a 5 year span including a division championship and bowl games? You're 100% correct. This team is a dumpster fire and it's all because of Rita's Nacho's.
The disconnect here is that Puerco said "AFTER 5 years" and you're talking about what happened during the first four.

Anyone here think this team is on the upswing in year 5 and heading into year 6?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

dmjcat wrote:RRod making the "Hot Seat" lists:

https://campusinsiders.com/news/college ... 0-10-2016/" target="_blank

10. Rich Rodriguez, Arizona (Last Week, NR)

RichRod is not in imminent danger. Repeat, not in imminent danger. He’s too well-liked in Tucson. At the current pace, though, he’ll begin 2017 with a lot to prove in what will be his sixth year with the program. The Wildcats peaked when they won the Pac-12 South in late November of 2014. Since then? Just 9-12, including 3-10 in conference play. The product is declining, the talent level is on a downward slope and the team is a step behind ASU in recruiting. In other words, there are shades of the Mike Stoops era, something Arizona was determined to escape.
3-13 in conference play (not 3-10). UA has beaten Oregon St, Colorado and Utah since they clinched the P12 South title in 2014 against ASU. When we we all looking for that major momentum shift in recruiting.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Chicat wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
Anyone here think this team is on the upswing in year 5 and heading into year 6?
I guess you miss the injury report every week.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Chicat wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:

The disconnect here is that Puerco said "AFTER 5 years" and you're talking about what happened during the first four.

Yes I do. With the improvements on d already seen and promise from young players on offense I think next year will be good if we don't ruin it by canning Rich Rod.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

whatisee wrote:
Chicat wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
Me? I see it. Then I see the lack of depth on the field on Saturday.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

whatisee wrote:
Chicat wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

Outside of QB and RB, the injury report is just average.

Which doesn't explain lack of depth and size on defense.

Which means the D will get gassed second half against USC and Stanford and those teams will roll up 21+ points after the Cats keep it close for a half.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote: Outside of QB and RB, the injury report is just average.

Which means the D will get gassed second half against USC and Stanford and those teams will roll up 21+ points after the Cats keep it close for a half.
yup. we'll be within a few points of both as far as half way through the 3rd quarter before losing by 20
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:

yup. we'll be within a few points of both as far as half way through the 3rd quarter before losing by 20
Wow. What other picks can you give. You must be rich from sports betting since you know so much.

You know the offense causes the d to be gassed right!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Wow. What other picks can you give. You must be rich from sports betting since you know so much.

You know the offense causes the d to be gassed right!
Not getting any 3 and outs is why the D is gassed. A total of 1 after the first 2 games? Total of 3 after 3 games?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The d on the field less means more likely three and out right? Just like the basketball shorts you are incorrect here.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:The d on the field less means more likely three and out right? Just like the basketball shorts you are incorrect here.

Time of possession:
2016: 26:18
2015: 26:29
2014: 27:13
2013: 29:13
2012: 26:24

UA has never won the TOP battle in the RichRod era.

The defense is gassed, because of what now?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:The d on the field less means more likely three and out right? Just like the basketball shorts you are incorrect here.

Time of possession:
2016: 26:18
2015: 26:29
2014: 27:13
2013: 29:13
2012: 26:24

UA has never won the TOP battle in the RichRod era.

The defense is gassed, because of what now?
There is nothing like watching a 80 yard, 15 play, 8 minute drive.
Drew77777

Post by Drew77777 »

Long time follower of all of the various Arizona forums and recruiting sites...figured I would chime in. I really liked Rich Rod when he was hired and I applaud him for making the tough call to fire his Defensive staff at the end of last year. Just have a few issues with many things that have transpired in his tenure at Arizona.

- One - The atrocious recruiting on the Defensive line. I mean here we are in year number five and we started the year with two walk-ons on the D-Line in Belknap and Zellers. Now we are starting Belknap who has been a pleasant surprise this year...and two of Stoops ex-recruits in Fanene and Fuimaono. So in five years he has not been able to bring in one player that is starter caliber for the line, I don't care who was recruiting that falls on Rich Rod's shoulders. I know they have missed on a few guys and had medical hardships...this is football it happens all the time, you have to over recruit to deal with these issues.

- Two - The fact we have been told it is so difficult to land decent D-lineman at this school...the only reason it is tough is because of the 3-3-5. Come on Stoops had three Defensive ends that were all NFL level on the same team...Brooks Reed, D'Aundre Reed and Ricky Elmore. That was without the NEZ/new field turf and new practice fields. One would think with all of these bells and whistles that he would be recruiting at all new levels....I know half his staff did not recruit before...wait, who is at fault for that?

Now I am not saying that Rich Rod should be fired, just that he should be held accountable for the things that he has failed at in his time here. If we do lose out though...I am not sure if he should be kept. I will continue to go to every game and yell until my voice is gone like I have for almost 30 years...but really wish things were not trending in the current direction and hope for some bright spots to end the year.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:

That part in bold is flat-out INACCURATE... The 2 coaches preceding Mackovic had better records overall & in-conference than RR... let alone their 'best 5 year stretch'.

We are 35-24 overall (0.593), 17-21 (0.447) in P12 play in the RR era so far... and that is very likely to get worse, not better, by season's end. Of those 18 OOC wins, 2 have come against BCS conference teams, and 4 against FCS competition... and we have 3 losses against non-BCS conference FBS teams.

Our ALL-TIME P12 conference record is 200-230 for 0.466; even with our one very good season - the RR conference record is BELOW AVERAGE for Arizona Football in the PAC. Let that sink in.
- Mike Stoops was 0.415 in P12 play and inherited a much bigger mess
- Dick Tomey was 60-49-4 for a 0.550 Conference record, and 95-64-4 (0.600) Overall with a much tougher OOC.... He had SEVERAL 5 year stretches >>> our current run
- Larry Smith was 48-28-3 overall (0.632) and 30-21 (0.588). Every 5 year stretch he had was more successful than the current one.

Most do not think RR should be axed after this season... I don't unless we go ohfer, and then it is only a "very possibly". The injury issue cannot be ignored, but the fact that it is a recurring theme in this regime is a consideration, too.

But do not make up statistics that are not true to try and present him in a better light...
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

RR has won 18 conference games so far at AZ.

Stoops 1st 5 years he won 17 conference games. Keep in mind that Stoops played 2 less conference games in his first 5 years. P10 played an 11 game schedule with 8 conference games his 1st two years. Keep this in mind when comparing bowl appearances.

Looking at Stoops in his LAST five years at AZ to compare same 12 game schedule with 9 conference games, Stoops won 19 conference games. Keep in mind that Stoops was fired 6 games into 2011 season. Had already played 4 conference games (all a Loss).

If RR can win two more conference games this year he can beat Stoops number of conference wins in his last five seasons even though Stoops in this situation coached 5 less conference games due to his firing mid-season.

Pretty similar conference records regardless. Stoops will have had a better progressive season conference record success than RR in his first 5 years. As I outlined before, Stoops equaled or improved on his conference records each of first SIX seasons.

Also need to keep in mind Stoops lost his last 8 conference games in a row. 10 of 11 games overall before being fired. RR needs to get a conference win before the Oregon State game to avoid that same 8 game conference losing streak
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Harvey Specter wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:

That part in bold is flat-out INACCURATE... The 2 coaches preceding Mackovic had better records overall & in-conference than RR... let alone their 'best 5 year stretch'.

We are 35-24 overall (0.593), 17-21 (0.447) in P12 play in the RR era so far... and that is very likely to get worse, not better, by season's end. Of those 18 OOC wins, 2 have come against BCS conference teams, and 4 against FCS competition... and we have 3 losses against non-BCS conference FBS teams.

Our ALL-TIME P12 conference record is 200-230 for 0.466; even with our one very good season - the RR conference record is BELOW AVERAGE for Arizona Football in the PAC. Let that sink in.
- Dick Tomey was 60-49-4 for a 0.550 Conference record, and 95-64-4 (0.600) Overall with a much tougher OOC.... He had SEVERAL 5 year stretches >>> our current run
- Larry Smith was 48-28-3 overall (0.632) and 30-21 (0.588). Every 5 year stretch he had was more successful than the current one.

Most do not think RR should be axed after this season... I don't unless we go ohfer, and then it is only a "very possibly". The injury issue cannot be ignored, but the fact that it is a recurring theme in this regime is a consideration, too.

But do not make up statistics that are not true to try and present him in a better light...
Like you're skewing your response to fit your needs? ho said anything about PAC12 play that you keep going on and on about? How many PAC division championships have we won and who won them? How many bowls have we went to during the RR era? How many BCS bowls have we went to? Who was the coach? who has a better record in their first 5 years as coach at the U of A?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Shocking, Harvey dislikes RR and suddenly shows up as soon as the season turns bitter.

In other news, the sky is blue!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

whatisee wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:

Like you're skewing your response to fit your needs? ho said anything about PAC12 play that you keep going on and on about? How many PAC division championships have we won and who won them? How many bowls have we went to during the RR era? How many BCS bowls have we went to? Who was the coach? who has a better record in their first 5 years as coach at the U of A?
Um the answers to lots of your questions are in the excellent post above yours.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I guess whatIsee doesn't see what I see. Those posts outline it perfectly. Nice job Harvey and Razor
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Chicat wrote:Anyone here think this team is on the upswing in year 5 and heading into year 6?
Yes I do. With the improvements on d already seen and promise from young players on offense I think next year will be good if we don't ruin it by canning Rich Rod.
If overall talent and depth are much improved, any semi-competent coach should be able to put together a 7+ win season. But that's been the issue. Talent and depth. Or the lack thereof. The question isn't whether we'll be better next year. Either we are or RichRod's seat is on fire.

The question is how good can we be year-in and year-out. And I'm not talking BCS bowls. I just want to see 7-9 wins yearly with the occasional 10+ once or twice a decade. If that's not the least of all fans expectations, what in the fuck are we doing here?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Chicat wrote:Anyone here think this team is on the upswing in year 5 and heading into year 6?
If overall talent and depth are much improved, any semi-competent coach should be able to put together a 7+ win season. But that's been the issue. Talent and depth. Or the lack thereof. The question isn't whether we'll be better next year. Either we are or RichRod's seat is on fire.

The question is how good can we be year-in and year-out. And I'm not talking BCS bowls. I just want to see 7-9 wins yearly with the occasional 10+ once or twice a decade. If that's not the least of all fans expectations, what in the fuck are we doing here?
Baseball school.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:

You said "Best Record over a 5 year span". Ludicrously false... but go ahead and ignore the fallacy of your first lie.

I brought up conference record because our cream puff OOC the last 4 years makes overall records meaningless.

No other coach ever had a chance to win a division championship, otherwise we would have a few. I think even Stoops may have gotten one.

We have been to 3 BCS level bowl games. We won 2 of them against marquee BCS Level programs.

A cumulative conference record that is worse than our program's historical winning percentage, and you call it the best 5 year stretch in program history? I would say nice try, but it really was a pretty weak effort. Even victories over Grambling St, SC St, and NAU do not make your proclamation accurate... as his overall win % is inferior to both Smith and Tomey.

You do know that it is not mathematically possible in 5 years to have a career winning % worse than 2 other coaches entire tenures (stretching well beyond 5 years) AND have the "best 5-year record in program history", correct? That is not debatable.

I will help you out.. here is a legitimate positive: RR in year 3 delivered the 3rd best season of the PAC era (spanning ~40 years). No other coach can claim something close at a similar point in their tenure. That was an impressive accomplishment, and has earned him some deserved leniency in years 4 & 5, which he is getting. But there is a limitation on how much it buys him.

I guess that cupboard wasn't as bare as many here suggested Stoops left it... but RR & staff coached 'em up.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

And here i thought we were arguing on whether or not RR can coach...
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:It's how the business works now. You have x amount of years to produce or you get fired, no matter the circumstances. Doesn't mean it is right but it is true.
And he did...too quickly?

And he made amends for loyalty, but what could he do? Fire the D staff after a 10 win season and consistent 30 level D efficiency ratings?

It fell apart last year, the change was swift, and the 17 class is loaded. This year, it doesn't take a fanboy to connect the dots to the quality of our performance against an opponent with broken parts...only the Grambling game stands out as godawful, and it was a win.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

EVCat wrote:

And he made amends for loyalty, but what could he do? Fire the D staff after a 10 win season and consistent 30 level D efficiency ratings?

It fell apart last year, the change was swift, and the 17 class is loaded. This year, it doesn't take a fanboy to connect the dots to the quality of our performance against an opponent with broken parts...only the Grambling game stands out as godawful, and it was a win.
IF he has 2 straight losing seasons (3-4 wins this year and less than 5 wins next year) then you'll be in favor of retaining him?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:
EVCat wrote:

IF he has 2 straight losing seasons (3-4 wins this year and less than 5 wins next year) then you'll be in favor of retaining him?
If the losing season happen this year, It going to be setback based on injury like it was last year. Now if we want to fired him based on not winning games or being competitive or doing good in recruiting, Year 5 is rebuilding year on the defense, that going to be couple years on that side to see where we at in 2017 season. 2018 and 2019 seasons are going to be were it a make or break.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:And here i thought we were arguing on whether or not RR can coach...
Umm... The way most people judge whether or not a coach can coach is to look at their records. Which is what was covered... and started with your completely false characterization of where his record stands in comparison to other coaches in AZ FB history.

In the PAC era... By overall winning %
1. Smith
2. Tomey
3. RR
4. Mason
5. Stoops
6. Mackovic

If looking only at conference records in the PAC era, Mason is #3 and RR is #4. That's lower 1/2...Ouch!

Relative to the rest of the conference, we are investing considerably more than we had in the past in our coaching staff, and the collective results we have received are not showing a very good return in terms of on-field results.

Those are facts.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Harvey Specter wrote:
whatisee wrote:And here i thought we were arguing on whether or not RR can coach...
Umm... The way most people judge whether or not a coach can coach is to look at their records. Which is what was covered... Which started with your completely false characterization of where his record stands in comparison to other coaches in AZ FB history.

In the PAC era... By overall winning %
1. Smith
2. Tomey
3. RR
4. Mason
5. Stoops
6. Mackovic

If looking only at conference records in the PAC era, Mason is #3 and RR is #4. That's lower 1/2...Ouch!

We are investing considerably more than we had in the past in our coaching staff, and the collective results we have received are not showing a very good return.

Those are facts.
I blame it on our current uniforms!
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey, A losing season is not going to hurt RR or his progress next season or the year beyond that. We have 6 game left to right the ship. A lot can happen in those 6 game and we only need 4 win to keep this successful run of winning season and fifth straight bowl appearance. Stanford and USC we got to upset one of them, OSU, Wassu, CU were going to have to beat 2 out 3, And last ASU were not winning this one unless RR tap into his team and tell them this game is must win to survive back to back injury prone season in which has never been done by any team. If we win ASU, Guess what we finish the season 6-6.

But of course this can backfire if we don't win Stanford or USC and last four would have to be must wins games In order to survive it.

Record don't mean nothing if this is how we treat HC. RR will get this team ready for the final stretch of the season.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:Harvey, A losing season is not going to hurt RR or his progress next season or the year beyond that. We have 6 game left to right the ship. A lot can happen in those 6 game and we only need 4 win to keep this successful run of winning season and fifth straight bowl appearance. Stanford and USC we got to upset one of them, OSU, Wassu, CU were going to have to beat 2 out 3, And last ASU were not winning this one unless RR tap into his team and tell them this game is must win to survive back to back injury prone season in which has never been done by any team. If we win ASU, Guess what we finish the season 6-6.

But of course this can backfire if we don't win Stanford or USC and last four would have to be must wins games In order to survive it.

Record don't mean nothing if this is how we treat HC. RR will get this team ready for the final stretch of the season.
We have 5 years of results to evaluate.

"Only need 4 wins?'
'Record don't mean nothing if this his how we treat our HC"... Huh???

People applaud RR for firing the defensive staff one year after a great team season because of shity results and recruiting... and the condemn those of us who question him TWO years after that same great team season when the team is dogshit and the personnel is substandard. (They were last year, too).

Yes, injuries have hurt this team badly, they hurt the D badly last year, too.

Keep slurping,,, IMO, The head coach should be evaluated and held accountable the same way he holds his staff accountable, I sure as shit don't believe he deserves any more leniency. Why is that so hard to understand?

Getting paid more to have total control and then buying time by firing those beneath you, while being held to a different standard than those you fired, makes no sense to me. People love it when the HC fires people but say he cannot be questioned for the same reasons? SMH

At least be consistent in how you believe Casteel and RR should be treated.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

whatisee wrote: Best record over a 5 year span including a division championship and bowl games? You're 100% correct. This team is a dumpster fire and it's all because of Rita's Nacho's.
Riddle me this: how do we have the program's best record over a five year span while RichRod has a losing conference record? I'm guessing strength of schedule hasn't been taken into account by RichRod's spin doctors.

Bottom line, much like Harvey and the others are stating, is that RichRod is pretty safe this year unless the wheels totally fall off. The way you could fault his performance over the past couple years is to hold him accountable for the lack of any sort or recruiting or coaching on the defensive side of the ball. It's his ship. He's the captain. If half the officers aren't performing, then it's his job to replace them. (Faster than he did) No one is throwing RichRod under the bus. We're holding him accountable to do his job. A job that pays a hell of a lot more than most of us get.

Personally I'm in favor of giving him another year or two to get the defense and recruiting on track. But that doesn't mean I'm willing to shower him with false praise.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Puerco wrote: Riddle me this: how do we have the program's best record over a five year span while RichRod has a losing conference record? I'm guessing strength of schedule hasn't been taken into account by RichRod's spin doctors.

Bottom line, much like Harvey and the others are stating, is that RichRod is pretty safe this year unless the wheels totally fall off. The way you could fault his performance over the past couple years is to hold him accountable for the lack of any sort or recruiting or coaching on the defensive side of the ball. It's his ship. He's the captain. If half the officers aren't performing, then it's his job to replace them. (Faster than he did) No one is throwing RichRod under the bus. We're holding him accountable to do his job. A job that pays a hell of a lot more than most of us get.

Personally I'm in favor of giving him another year or two to get the defense and recruiting on track. But that doesn't mean I'm willing to shower him with false praise.
Pretty much where I'm at now. I was a big Kool-Aid guzzler to a point, but his dalliance with the Gamecocks really sort of opened my eyes causing me to question his commitment to Arizona. "Why not Arizona," my ass. Definitely feel now like he intended to use us as the stepping stone back to the big time. But circumstances called his bluff and now he's "stuck" with us through another rebuild (of his own credentials). If he were to build a winner at Arizona and stick with it long enough to create a legacy for himself in Tucson I'll come back around, but that's a big if. I still like him as our coach for now, but I don't find myself so stressed out about losing him like I was a few years ago. He needs to evolve some too.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

The guy is toast, it all started last year when one of the sideline reporters was talking about a sweeter, gentler, nicer Rich Rod, he then went and did the inexplicable no no and started chatting with another 7-5 type job in South Carolina. If it was an actual step up job, folks wouldn't have been as pissed, annoyed sure but out and out pissed... Most likely not. Now you fire a couple of dead weight coaches, knowing it will buy you some time, and fair enough. The new coaches look impressive (I'm not as sold on them as others, but that's just a personal opinion) and you end up stinking up the joint anyways. The offense looks the same as always, probably worse in terms of actual production, the defense is just putrid, and Scooby Wright having an amazing season covered the stench a couple of years ago, Will Parks, and Tre'Mayne Bondurant also helping. Then you include the fact that you aren't having many impressive victories, the injured Oregon game being the most impressive? Having several mini meltdowns, such as that 15 point 4th Quarter lead against Stanford you managed to lose, the same old stupid losses to teams you shouldn't be losing to. Then let's not get started on the ineptitude we have shown against Arizona State and the clown shoes that coaches that program.

He has 6 games to tame the hate this season, and I really don't think he'll be gone then, but he'll have 6 more to start next season, and all these conversations hovering over his head again. I very much hope I'm wrong but these next 6 games aren't going to be amazing if what we have seen thus far is the measuring stick.

I can't believe Rich Rod is going to be here after the midway point next season without some serious jumps in production. Injuries don't mean squat, if they are such a massive deal, then that is also going to be on the head coach, why are your players getting hurt so much?

Frankly, it's also dangerous to be calling the '17 recruiting class loaded.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:The guy is toast, it all started last year when one of the sideline reporters was talking about a sweeter, gentler, nicer Rich Rod, he then went and did the inexplicable no no and started chatting with another 7-5 type job in South Carolina. If it was an actual step up job, folks wouldn't have been as pissed, annoyed sure but out and out pissed... Most likely not. Now you fire a couple of dead weight coaches, knowing it will buy you some time, and fair enough. The new coaches look impressive (I'm not as sold on them as others, but that's just a personal opinion) and you end up stinking up the joint anyways. The offense looks the same as always, probably worse in terms of actual production, the defense is just putrid, and Scooby Wright having an amazing season covered the stench a couple of years ago, Will Parks, and Tre'Mayne Bondurant also helping. Then you include the fact that you aren't having many impressive victories, the injured Oregon game being the most impressive? Having several mini meltdowns, such as that 15 point 4th Quarter lead against Stanford you managed to lose, the same old stupid losses to teams you shouldn't be losing to. Then let's not get started on the ineptitude we have shown against Arizona State and the clown shoes that coaches that program.

He has 6 games to tame the hate this season, and I really don't think he'll be gone then, but he'll have 6 more to start next season, and all these conversations hovering over his head again. I very much hope I'm wrong but these next 6 games aren't going to be amazing if what we have seen thus far is the measuring stick.

I can't believe Rich Rod is going to be here after the midway point next season without some serious jumps in production. Injuries don't mean squat, if they are such a massive deal, then that is also going to be on the head coach, why are your players getting hurt so much?

Frankly, it's also dangerous to be calling the '17 recruiting class loaded.
A lot can happen in 6 game left of the season.