Re: Coach Rod

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Bummer.
The old 'vote of confidence' huh?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

12 step program?
Actually thought Offense improved quite bit against Colorado.

Yesterday I heard RR say he feels this years class much better than previous year and in couple of years UA will be really good. My question if he can assess and evaluate that now, how could he not assess / evaluate the 'mistakes' from previous classes? How does he know this now IF he didn't know that then?

I don't attribute the collapse last season and a half to defense. I attribute it mostly to offense. It's what has worsened the most. Defense same or slightly worse than last year statistically.

Offense is now as nearly as bad as the Defense. RR has won here with great offense and poor defense.

Offense: '15 to '16 rankings
3rd down conv 52nd now 114th
1st Down offense 22nd now 80th
Passing Offense 30th now 100th
Rushing 22nd now 29th
RZ offense 75th now 118th
Sacks allowed 82nd now 97th
Scoring Offense 20th now 113th
Total offense 16th now 74th
Turnovers lost 61st now 104th

Bugs me RR emphasizes defensive deficiencies. He should talk about it but balance it when it should be balanced. I'm beginning to wonder if pride starting to get in his way. I really think he deflects offensive criticism. Defense bad, no doubt. But statistically it's marginally worse than last year. It's not a big drop from near bottom to bottom.

Offense, it's a huge drop-off over last year. That's a bigger problem for RR historically when philosophy is to emphasize offensive recruiting and just score more than you opponent with great, near the top offensive production.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Yep, spot on. The offensive regression is what has turned me against him.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I agree with this, but I'm not happy. Some on this board will shit a brick.

First and foremost, I'm an Wildcat fan. RR happens to be our coach now, he won't be forever, but I want him and the program to be successful. I just don't see bankrupting the Athletic Department to fire him at this time. I'm disappointed about this season, but the team is still playing hard and aren't giving up. That's a measure of whether to fire a coach - has he lost the team? I would say no and it affords him another year.

His 10 win season bought him some goodwill and he seems to be spending it this season.
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

So, RichRod will be back next season. Makes sense, due to the financials involved. Plus, he has a new D staff and was Byrne's choice.

Let's take a breath and consider...

Like me, you're a huge supporter of the football program. You want the absolute best for the team. However, there are concerns about RR as a leader and head ball coach.

1) What kind of temperament does he exhibit to the team? Can he lead? Does his leadership instill confidence? What example does he demonstrate to players and staff?

2) What's his coaching ability--really? How effectively does he develop staff and players? Establish a work ethic? Produce Xs and Os that maximize performance?

3) How long does he want to stay the head ball coach at Arizona? Seriously.

4) When will he get the recruiting issues resolved?

Looking at the fundamentals of football coaching, and contrasting RR with some of the most successful coaches in college football, makes you wonder if he's been passed up. He may be a wash out. Here's to hoping he still has the fire in the belly to succeed at Arizona.

This is absurd. Laughable, even. But you may have other questions and issues about RR. What are they?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

wyo-cat wrote:

First and foremost, I'm an Wildcat fan. RR happens to be our coach now, he won't be forever, but I want him and the program to be successful. I just don't see bankrupting the Athletic Department to fire him at this time. I'm disappointed about this season, but the team is still playing hard and aren't giving up. That's a measure of whether to fire a coach - has he lost the team? I would say no and it affords him another year.

His 10 win season bought him some goodwill and he seems to be spending it this season.
I think just about everyone has expected this... and the part in bold above nails it.

As for the part in italics, I am not sure most would agree... but as for whether or not he has lost the team, I have no idea. I'll leave that to people with some reliable sources in the locker room.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

zero percent surprising
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

wyo-cat wrote:

If he isn't fired, I would think the factors involve money moreso than on field results.

I'm not sure it makes me feel better that we're still playing hard. It concerns me that this might be our ceiling.
Drew77777

Post by Drew77777 »

I listen to the local radio on my drive home everyday and I understand they have to sugar coat everything because they don't want to lose their sources and such. But one thing that has really annoyed me to no end is the line. "Rich Rod has recruited players that really love to play football and you can tell they have not given up on the coach." I understand they have to say things like this, but let us be honest. Rich Rod may have recruited kids that love football, but unfortunately they are just not very good at it. Or on the flip side, maybe some of these kids are good and maybe we just have the wrong people teaching them the nuances of the game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Drew77777 wrote:I listen to the local radio on my drive home everyday and I understand they have to sugar coat everything because they don't want to lose their sources and such. But one thing that has really annoyed me to no end is the line. "Rich Rod has recruited players that really love to play football and you can tell they have not given up on the coach." I understand they have to say things like this, but let us be honest. Rich Rod may have recruited kids that love football, but unfortunately they are just not very good at it. Or on the flip side, maybe some of these kids are good and maybe we just have the wrong people teaching them the nuances of the game.
It scares me to think this season's results involve coming anywhere close to maximizing the talent of our players.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Drew77777 wrote:I listen to the local radio on my drive home everyday and I understand they have to sugar coat everything because they don't want to lose their sources and such. But one thing that has really annoyed me to no end is the line. "Rich Rod has recruited players that really love to play football and you can tell they have not given up on the coach." I understand they have to say things like this, but let us be honest. Rich Rod may have recruited kids that love football, but unfortunately they are just not very good at it. Or on the flip side, maybe some of these kids are good and maybe we just have the wrong people teaching them the nuances of the game.
Not sure how good OKGs can be with a large heart but slow feet and a small body.

OKGs are fine for smaller schools but not a Power 5 conference school.

RichRod offensive genius.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

So can we finally stop this BS about him being fire now. Byrne already done spoke and it now time to end this crap and get ready for these last two game of he season and get ready for next season.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We all knew he wouldn't get fired but most of us want him fired. What is so hard to understand.

If he turns it around great. Most of us just don't think he can
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cordera89 wrote:So can we finally stop this BS about him being fire now. Byrne already done spoke and it now time to end this crap and get ready for these last two game of he season and get ready for next season.
Why is it BS? This is a historically embarassing season. We're getting reamed on a weekly basis at home and away. Many years into RR's regime, the talent level is really low.

Also, I don't need to get ready for the next two games or the next year. The coaching staff and team does. I get to complain about the nightmarish abomination this season is, and I don't think it's unfair to hold RR responsible for such a terrible showing.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I decided in August to ignore football this year and until Rich Rod is gone. But depressed by other turns of events, I just looked up the standings and we're freaking 0-7???
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Puerco wrote:Yep, spot on. The offensive regression is what has turned me against him.
But there are valid reasons for the regression, so why the hateraide?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:So can we finally stop this BS about him being fire now. Byrne already done spoke and it now time to end this crap and get ready for these last two game of he season and get ready for next season.
Yes - let's make it a priority right now, as fans, to get ready for next season...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:Yep, spot on. The offensive regression is what has turned me against him.
There are reasons to explain some of it. But not to explain why we still have barely power 5 level talent, even on offense. And why our depth is so bad in year 5. There's no excuse for a year 5 RR team to be one of the worst offenses in football. Which it is.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:
You state that as a fact but it is highly debatable... valid reasons for some regression, yes. There are no valid reasons for this degree of regression.

Our obstacles have included injuries, as well as lack of talent & depth resulting from poor recruiting. Even at full strength this team lacks size and speed. We have had our top 3 QB's available for a good part of the season... a bit banged up - yes, but most NCAA QB's are a bit banged up at this point of the year. RB is a problem, but Nick Wilson being injury prone is not breaking news. JJ Taylor is a bummer. Bradford? I guess he was not an OKG after all.

0-7, 2-8 will make a lot of people thirsty for haterade... that is not unique to this fanbase, nor should it be surprising.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ASUHATER! wrote:
whatisee wrote:
There are reasons to explain some of it. But not to explain why we still have barely power 5 level talent, even on offense. And why our depth is so bad in year 5. There's no excuse for a year 5 RR team to be one of the worst offenses in football. Which it is.
Most teams don't go 3 deep on top tier talent. Like at QB or a RB, and if they do they have names like Alabama or Ohio St. We're lucky to have an offense that can do 2 deep long the board, but we're not at 3 deep territory. Do i blame RR for this...some...but i also realize this is Arizona football.

Running back is the problem this year. The biggest problem
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Yes - let's make it a priority right now, as fans, to get ready for next season...
Maybe we don't go winless next year, or at least keep most teams inside 3 touchdowns. Moral victories.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Guess where I differ with most. I think this slide started last year, where UA won 3 conference games. I'll be optimistic and say the slide began with the Wazzu game last year. UA lost 4 of 5 conference games from that point.

Where they had Solomon most of those games (Dawkins played ASU game)
Wilson half of those games
Randall all of those games
Jared Baker all of those games ('co-starter')
Bradford all of those games
Receiving corps all of those games.

Scoring average during conference opponents starting to decline.
2012 34.2 PPG
2013 29.1 PPG
2014 33.4 PPG
2015 30.8 (29.8 from Wazzu game)
2016 18.5 PPG

For me it started last year. Better receiving corp, better o-line than this year and still only won 3 conference games. UA has lost 11 of its last 12 conference games. That's a pretty clear pattern.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:We all knew he wouldn't get fired but most of us want him fired. What is so hard to understand.

If he turns it around great. Most of us just don't think he can
This is where I'm at.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

whatisee wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Most teams don't go 3 deep on top tier talent. Like at QB or a RB, and if they do they have names like Alabama or Ohio St. We're lucky to have an offense that can do 2 deep long the board, but we're not at 3 deep territory. Do i blame RR for this...some...but i also realize this is Arizona football.

I don't buy this argument at all. The lack of depth at RB is RichRod's fault as the head coach. He's the one who crafted a roster that had a talented but brittle starter, a kidnapping sexual assaulter as backup, and a wonderful freshman who got hurt.

But really, you think RB's the issue? I actually think it's a lack of talent along both lines. I think it's a cast of skill players that doesn't seem to develop over their careers. I think it's a defensive backfield that can't cover. I think it's a linebacking corps where we all freak out when our walk ons go off with an injury, while our four star recruits can't get on the field.

You don't rank outside of the top 100 in a host of statistical categories because you have some injury woes at running back:

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... -athletics
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Puerco wrote:
whatisee wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
whatisee wrote:

I don't buy this argument at all. The lack of depth at RB is RichRod's fault as the head coach. He's the one who crafted a roster that had a talented but brittle starter, a kidnapping sexual assaulter as backup, and a wonderful freshman who got hurt.

But really, you think RB's the issue? I actually think it's a lack of talent along both lines. I think it's a cast of skill players that doesn't seem to develop over their careers. I think it's a defensive backfield that can't cover. I think it's a linebacking corps where we all freak out when our walk ons go off with an injury, while our four star recruits can't get on the field.

You don't rank outside of the top 100 in a host of statistical categories because you have some injury woes at running back:

So you want to blame RR for the RB position of it demise. No one predicted that the RB position was going to be bad this season. You cant blame RR for Wilson getting hurt again, Bradford fallout and Taylor One hit wonder. No one predicted these three were going to have a bad season. Our Oline will improve at some point.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Puerco wrote:
whatisee wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
whatisee wrote: But really, you think RB's the issue?
Yes...no running game has killed the Arizona offense this year. And if you don't think that effects everything down the line. Then you don't know much about football.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:
whatisee wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Yes...no running game has killed the Arizona offense this year. And if you don't think that effects everything down the line. Then you don't know much about football.
Grant would be 4th in the PAC in rushing if you just count his games as RB.
Sid

Post by Sid »

whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:
whatisee wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Catastrophic. I also think the abundance of non NFL talent on the o-line is a huge glaring problem with this program. I would think one with all the accolades of creating a explosive offense would put a tremendous effort on establishing one of the best lines in the PAC for obvious reasons. Starts upfront doesn't it?

Disturbing......
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Maybe RR can check if these guys have any eligibility left. Especially the DL who ran over the OL in Spring Game.

I'm joking ;)

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Catastrophic. I also think the abundance of non NFL talent on the o-line is a huge glaring problem with this program. I would think one with all the accolades of creating a explosive offense would put a tremendous effort on establishing one of the best lines in the PAC for obvious reasons. Starts upfront doesn't it?

Disturbing......
'what's disturbing is losing your starting C before the season even starts. Then there's a guy who's built like a monster, but blocks like my sister. RS Freshman thrown into the mix at C where you're suppose to be the QB of the team. Adding Walker & Eliste to the bunch will strenghen what we have. Along with all the other RS Frehman that seem to be waiting. We lose 1 guy from the bunch

And let's be 100% honest with each other. We've NEVER had an abundance of NFL lineman. One every 5 years or so pases through, but that's it. With that being said i do think Jacob will get a sniff at the NFL when he so chooses
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well our OLine is terrible, for whatever reason. Our LB's are pedestrian and no one we have recruited in either area has developed into an all PAC guy. Who is that on? Our DB's are a joke. They can't cover and just look small (other than Cruikshank). Safety's continually take poor angles (although I do like DFF). Just so many issues.

The team is now undisciplined as evident by the number of penalties last week. They appear to be going through the motions and many of them appear disgruntled (Anu for one). I guess that all comes from being 2-8
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well our OLine is terrible, for whatever reason. Our LB's are pedestrian and no one we have recruited in either area has developed into an all PAC guy. Who is that on? Our DB's are a joke. They can't cover and just look small (other than Cruikshank). Safety's continually take poor angles (although I do like DFF). Just so many issues.

The team is now undisciplined as evident by the number of penalties last week. They appear to be going through the motions and many of them appear disgruntled (Anu for one). I guess that all comes from being 2-8
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:

Disturbing......
'what's disturbing is losing your starting C before the season even starts. Then there's a guy who's built like a monster, but blocks like my sister. RS Freshman thrown into the mix at C where you're suppose to be the QB of the team. Adding Walker & Eliste to the bunch will strenghen what we have. Along with all the other RS Frehman that seem to be waiting. We lose 1 guy from the bunch

And let's be 100% honest with each other. We've NEVER had an abundance of NFL lineman. One every 5 years or so pases through, but that's it. With that being said i do think Jacob will get a sniff at the NFL when he so chooses
While we are being 100% honest...

1. No team is ever immune to injury issues
2. We have NEVER invested as much in our FB program as we have recently
3. We have NEVER been this bad
4. The BB team lost 40% of our top 10 players (we expected to have as of signing day)... our FB injuries look pedestrian by comparison

Your optimism is based o nothing but hope (assuming evaluation/ development of guys waiting in the wings were more accurate than those of guys in the rotation).

Hopefully it is warranted... time will tell. But I do have to laugh when I read posts pointing to RR's commentary that "we made mistakes evaluating guys in the past but not with the incoming class". Okay... He was kidding before when he said we got OKG's, but now he really knows.

Sure.

PS - What projected QB has lined up at C?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:
whatisee wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
We rushed for 250 yards against CU. 5 ypc. We lost by 25. At home.

Come again?
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

We just need to recruit a few more 230 lb. defensive linemen and a couple more all world linebackers who somehow can't crack the 2 deep and we are there! We're closer than many of you realize. :roll:

Go Cats!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:
whatisee wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Why don't we have a running game, though? We had our moat complete roster for BYU and put together zero offense for the first 50 minutes of the game. I get that between injuries and suspension, we're down to our 4th string level RB, but even when we had our desired personnel at RB, the offense has just not produced this year.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

PS - What projected QB has lined up at C?
We have been this bad...sorry

And if i wasn't crystal clear with you. The Center is the 'QB' of the offensive line. Calling out stunts, run blocks, and other things of that nature. When you have a RS Freshman in there you're bound to have growing pains. You know...minus the fact that the starter abruptly died, but these 18 year old kids deserve ZERO breaks. Don't they know this is Arizona football? We're a dynasty! :geek:
Last edited by whatisee on Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Come again?
I can't show you what you don't want to see Chicken Little. The sky is falling...i know
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

None of this is directed at the kids. It is however directed at the head coach.

I think we will all just agree to disagree
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:

Come again?
I can't show you what you don't want to see Chicken Little. The sky is falling...i know
LOL... the sky has already fallen. Have you looked at our record this year?

Lose 2 more and we will have NEVER been this bad. That is not an opinion: it is a fact - based on record.

But keep enjoying playing your fiddle, Nero.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I will say this, GB is consistent. He gave Niya Butts ample time to dig herself out and it appears he will do the same for RR. Of course she didn't have a 8m buyout either
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Besides the vote of confidence, I can't imagine GB keeping RR if you loses the last 2 games.

Byrne was brought in to bring football as a major revenue producing sport. Go 0-9 in the PAC, worst season ever, and 1-4 v. ASU, then look for a lot of empty seats next season, along with almost all 8 pm games.

During the Mackovic fiasco, the basketball program had to carry the football program. Lute was not pleased. Nor will CSM be either.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Besides the vote of confidence, I can't imagine GB keeping RR if you loses the last 2 games.

Byrne was brought in to bring football as a major revenue producing sport. Go 0-9 in the PAC, worst season ever, and 1-4 v. ASU, then look for a lot of empty seats next season, along with almost all 8 pm games.

During the Mackovic fiasco, the basketball program had to carry the football program. Lute was not pleased. Nor will CSM be either.
Byrne let Stoops lose out, and then when he went 1-5 to start 2011, Byrne pulled the plug. And Stoops wasn't his guy, so I'm betting RR will get an even longer leash.

You have to remember, Byrne is not a fan. He's got to look at big picture stuff. For instance, RR is still popular amongst high profile boosters. He's a super charming guy who will win you over in the living room and dinner table, even when he's not winning on the field. Also, what will another rebuild do for donations to facility improvements? If teams are destined to be shitty for a few more years, why would anyone give money to improve where they practice?

It's not just "so-and-so lost X amount of games and therefore he is fired". There's layers and layers of things that have to fall in place to make a change the right move.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

yeah even if we finish 2-10, the earliest i see RR being fired is if we start next year like 1-5. even then he'd probably get until the end of the season to turn it around. but that that point...if we go 1-5 to start next year, went 2-10 this year and in 2015 finished the season 1-4...that would be a 4-19 stretch across almost 2 seasons worth of games.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looking at the FY ending 6/30/15, here are some AD numbers.

Men's bball Rev: $19.2M exp: $9M
Football Rev: $23.1M exp: $20.4M

Total AD Rev: $85.4M exp: $81M

Byrne was hired to bring the FB revenue up, since bball was maxed out.

So yes, the AD is making a profit unlike most/many schools.

Esp. compared to the school up north.

Total AD Rev: $83.7M exp: $83.1M

So not enough money for a buyout, but enough cushion the UA AD can afford another poor FB season.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Don't think there is much Revenue pressure in deciding RR's fate this year. If UA can draw 50K for ASU game, the attendance decrease this year will be about 6.5%.

But there was that BYU game in Glendale. Which was like another home game but with upwards to $1M after split revenue for Arizona to book. Also new Nike extension deal kicking in.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

whatisee wrote:

Come again?
Err... That's your answer? Well damn, son. You sure convinced me. RichRod's doin' a great job!
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I find the line about the players fighting hard and not giving up especially hilarious. No they aren't, and yes they have. What's worse, the guy leading the ship stopped fighting hard, and gave up immediately after Anu was sacked on the final play of the Fiesta Bowl, sadly his defensive hires gave up recruiting and evaluating well before that, Of course you can believe we went from South Champs, Fiesta Bowl, 10-2 (even if it's a mirage) to getting pushed around in the New Mexico Bowl by The Lobos, and now a National Joke (I love when David Pollack and Desmond Howard laugh about how shitty we are on Saturday Mornings, even more awesome when Lee Corso has a giggle) all because of injuries, and this lack of a running game (which is all bullshit).

I wish we all could suck as bad Rich Rod does, for just 5 percent of his buyout.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

I was talking about next year with my buddy regarding RR. If you use our current schedule as basis for next year:
NAU, Houston, UTEP, Wash, UCLA, UTAH, USC...Arizona could be a team that hasnt won against its conference in 14 games. No way RR can survive that. It seems like the inevitable is a fired coach and a lame duck season. I know its a stretch to look at the season that way but Arizona probably wont be any better than 5-9 in the conference over 2 years. I am slightly hoping we get blown out the next 2 games and people are just sick of it. I honestly believe Arizona is now a 4-5 year rebuild job and we all know RR will sniff any girls ass who comes calling the minute things get better..