Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: Coach Rod

Post by chiefzona »

UALoco wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Yates is garbage. He’s Casteel 2.0. This whole staff and it’s HC needs an enema.
Sounds like someone is bitter cause they got passed over for a D1 coaching assistant job and is stuck doing media and club ball crap.

Sorry to spoil your party but I’m not involved in all three things that you mentioned. Try again Holmes.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Heard Heeke was asked about RR and his reply was, "no comment". Did anyone hear that?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Sid

Post by Sid »

Tony fucking Romo!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Heeke hates RR but lacks the nuts to pull the trigger. Heeke was a bad hire. But we can all play along.
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

How do you know Heeke can't stand coach rod? Do you knowand speak with Heeke on a personal level?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:Heeke hates RR but lacks the nuts to pull the trigger. Heeke was a bad hire. But we can all play along.
Pushed onward with beer sales and additional revenue sources

Expanded renovations

Made right decisions about coaches.

Yeah sure does seem like a bad hire Chief.........not
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:I want les miles.
That's mighty forward of you, CST. I think you need to arrange a private audience to let him know how you feel.

:lol:
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:The real reason why RR will be here in 2018 and why he will get a one year extension is Heeke knows and expects a better year next year and that he can t complete with the other openings this year in addition to the fact no one can name one coach that would come here that would do better than RR right away.

Firing someone or calling for the firing of someone without a plan or without being able to bring someone in better is complete ignorance.
He's got 3 years left on his contract, Heeke isn't extending him for another year to increase his fricken buyout. If he wins big next year then we can talk extension, otherwise stfu, you've got 3 years left on your contract.
As far as just the coach you are correct 100%.

But how are recruits going to take it. 2018 recruits are going to think, great you are recruiting me now but you wont be here for my senior year or RS jr and sr years. 2019 and 2020 recruits are obviously worse.

Give him a year extension, but make the buyout stay the same until after next season.
His recruiting is already screwed, so what? After next season he still has 2 years left on his contract. You act as if the guy having a long term contract will help him land 5 stars or something. We've seen his recruiting for 6 years now, our team is very young, recruiting in a make or break year isn't remotely the biggest issue we have to deal with.

Let's sum it up to the most important part of all of this, Rich Rod just had the worst home attendance Arizona football has had since the Mackovic era. What Athletic Director in his right fricken mind would extend a coach who can't make his athletic department money? He'd laugh in your face if you brought up "but but what about recruiting" as a reason to extend him now.
I will buy your line of thinking if you can show me a few good coaches at good schools who have 2 years left on their current deals.

Other schools will badly negative recruit against us if RR is not given more than four years on his deal.

Would you send your son to play for a coach who does not have a contract for four years or more? Parents and players understand coaching changes happen but they dont want one that is almost a guarantee when picking the school.
I would not send my son to play for a carpet-bagging, glad-handing, self-serving egotist regardless of his contract situation.

He primarily recruits guys that no other BCS Conference program wants, anyway.
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

Do you even understand football? So nobody wanted tate, taylor, tilford, hayes, or fields. Everything is not as bad as chiefzona makes them out to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:Heeke hates RR but lacks the nuts to pull the trigger. Heeke was a bad hire. But we can all play along.
You willing to pony up the $6 million to buy out RR, whilst dealing with the train wreck that is the basketball program right now? If not then your opinion isn't worth dick per usual. Jury is still out on Heeke, but not firing RR after a 7-5 season based on all the other circumstances around the athletic department is far from an issue I take with the guy.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I like this Heeke guy. Seems to have more substance than Mr social media, Greg Byrne.

Really no win with RR. Tate sure screwed the pooch on that one LOL
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Harvey Specter wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I want les miles.
That's mighty forward of you, CST. I think you need to arrange a private audience to let him know how you feel.

:lol:
:lol: well played sir
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:

Expanded renovations

Specifically talking about his past hires. At some point he'll have to make both the football and basket ball hire. That's a scary prospect for any Arizona Athletics' fan.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Expanded renovations

Specifically talking about his past hires. At some point he'll have to make both the football and basket ball hire. That's a scary prospect for any Arizona Athletics' fan.
Let's be clear here, the basketball hire at Arizona will never solely reside in Heeke's hands. He obviously will be part of the group making the hire, but the Arizona basketball hire isn't his solely to make and that'll go for any AD ever at Arizona. Football you have a point, but you're still a loser Steve.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Expanded renovations

Let's be clear here, the basketball hire at Arizona will never solely reside in Heeke's hands. He obviously will be part of the group making the hire, but the Arizona basketball hire isn't his solely to make and that'll go for any AD ever at Arizona. Football you have a point, but you're still a loser Steve.

Keep telling yourself that. Have a Happy Holiday my friend. ;)
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Few things chief.

1) Hiring at cmu and UA are way different. Not scared at all.

2) Every major hire UA has made the last several years had others consulting so why would that change now?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Money talks...

Basketball has it, football less so.

Good points PHX.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sounds like we need to add loser to being a program cancer. More evident than ever
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Expanded renovations

Keep telling yourself that. Have a Happy Holiday my friend. ;)
*Kisses*

At the very least the pool of candidates for the Arizona football job will be exponentially greater than the candidates at Central Michigan, so better chances at getting this hire remotely right.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ChooChooCat wrote: You willing to pony up the $6 million to buy out RR, whilst dealing with the train wreck that is the basketball program right now? If not then your opinion isn't worth....
So in other words, everyone's opinion is worth the same here on this message board, per your criteria.

Also, and I'm tired of having to say this. Let's avoid the personal stuff guys. If you really can't stand someone, ignore them, don't respond to them, whatever, but the repetitive name calling does nothing but bring down the level of discourse.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: You willing to pony up the $6 million to buy out RR, whilst dealing with the train wreck that is the basketball program right now? If not then your opinion isn't worth....
So in other words, everyone's opinion is worth the same here on this message board, per your criteria.

Also, and I'm tired of having to say this. Let's avoid the personal stuff guys. If you really can't stand someone, ignore them, don't respond to them, whatever, but the repetitive name calling does nothing but bring down the level of discourse.
I mean I meant it figuratively obviously, and I love Steve, so I shall trash him publicly for his takes and blow him kisses afterwards as long as the board gods allow me to do so. You can ignore me, not respond to me, whatever as well if you don't like it.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

It was a committee who hired Heeke wasn't it? No one is saying that was a home run hire, esp. after losing our prior AD to Bama.

Also was an outside search firm that gave us Niya Butts, an assistant coach on a NIT team. About the worst UA coach in recent history.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

I mean I meant it figuratively obviously, and I love Steve, so I shall trash him publicly for his takes and blow him kisses afterwards as long as the board gods allow me to do so. You can ignore me, not respond to me, whatever as well if you don't like it.
Lol great post choo.

Watch out or you'll end up on POM's foe list with me, for pointing out his hypocrisy.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Regardless of the fact it is the wrong time with the other openings.

How many of you who want RR gone are willing to donate to the buyout and commit to buying tickets next year?

Stillk wrong move now but if lots of people promise buying tickets next year and give to the buyout it would be easier for Heeke.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:Regardless of the fact it is the wrong time with the other openings.

How many of you who want RR gone are willing to donate to the buyout and commit to buying tickets next year?

Stillk wrong move now but if lots of people promise buying tickets next year and give to the buyout it would be easier for Heeke.

He has the money now. Just wait on this one right now. Let things play out. No one is buying tickets for next year. Just you.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Regardless of the fact it is the wrong time with the other openings.

He has the money now. Just wait on this one right now. Let things play out. No one is buying tickets for next year. Just you.
Sure the department has the money but it is not the best use of it with all other things that are needed now. So maybe if more people commit to donating for the buyout and next year it would happen.

Regardless RR deserves one more year and UA cannot afford to go into the Carousel right now with all the other teams on it and the teams that might be hopping on soon per rumors.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Weird logic. If we sell more seats it makes it harder to can RR. He earned another year or even two with Tate but it remains to be seen if Tucson buys into his program going forward. Do we have a buy out fund?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

If you don't fire RR now and don't extend, then you might as well keep RR for the next two seasons. I don't see an upside to firing RR after next season after you have committed to paying him the rest of the retention money and create a situation where you provide Kahlil Tate a new offense package, new QB coach, new OC and a new HC for his Senior year. Could be an entire new scheme with a new coach(s).

In fact, could argue there's a big downside to that.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:If you don't fire RR now and don't extend, then you might as well keep RR for the next two seasons. I don't see an upside to firing RR after next season after you have committed to paying him the rest of the retention money and create a situation where you provide Kahlil Tate a new offense package, new QB coach, new OC and a new HC for his Senior year. Could be an entire new scheme with a new coach(s).

That is a 100% correct.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

azcat49 wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:If you don't fire RR now and don't extend, then you might as well keep RR for the next two seasons. I don't see an upside to firing RR after next season after you have committed to paying him the rest of the retention money and create a situation where you provide Kahlil Tate a new offense package, new QB coach, new OC and a new HC for his Senior year. Could be an entire new scheme with a new coach(s).

That is a 100% correct.
Downsides. UA about to break a 64 year old record for team scoring. They're averaging 41.8 points/game. UA 3rd in FBS rushing, 6th in scoring & 11th total offense. UA made the biggest jump in FBS from last year in scoring offense. This why RR won't be fired. For 5 weeks he (UA) had Khalil Tate buzzing the Nation. Tate mentioned as a Heisman candidate. mentioned of GameDay. That doesn't happen very often with any team. Tate has two more years of eligibility.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Great year on offense and I think the OLine has a chance to be better next year then it was this year. The staff is really high on Cain and if he can come back from that injury he could step right in at left guard assuming LF doesn't get another year. People also forget Creason was a starter as much as DeBeer was and hopefully Eletise can find some nasty and fulfill his potential. Oh, we also get the sparty guy, Lakusa.

Should have won 9 or 10 games this year but it is what it is. Tate getting hurt early in the year had some lingering impact
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Great year on offense and I think the OLine has a chance to be better next year then it was this year. The staff is really high on Cain and if he can come back from that injury he could step right in at left guard assuming LF doesn't get another year. People also forget Creason was a starter as much as DeBeer was and hopefully Eletise can find some nasty and fulfill his potential. Oh, we also get the sparty guy, Lakusa.

Should have won 9 or 10 games this year but it is what it is. Tate getting hurt early in the year had some lingering impact

Won 9 or 10 games with who’s defense?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote: Downsides. UA about to break a 64 year old record for team scoring.
Well, I would go on the under on that.

1. Tate is injury prone
2. Cats lose one of their all time leading rushers in Nick Wilson
3. Cats lose their short yardage TD guy in Nick Green
4. JJ Taylor is listed at 5'6", so not an everydown back or short yardage guy.
5. Cats lose their entire starting OL
6. What happened to Tilford? Blow his redshirt on special teams?
7. Rumors abound about the backup QB Dawkins doing a grad transfer
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote: Downsides. UA about to break a 64 year old record for team scoring.

1. Tate is injury prone
Having assistants who are in way over their heads. Thin and poor receiving corps. Transfers out of school. Special teams still weak. RB crew thin. 2018 class being subpar. Shall we go on?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:

1. Tate is injury prone
1. Nothing we can do about that with the style of offense that we play, unless Tate's passing improves ten fold and he becomes more of a passer who can run as opposed to the other way around.
2. I'm sure we all thank Nick for his play, but he was as likely to miss over half the season as he was to play half the season. Taylor and Tilford should be an effective duo.
3. I think you mean Zach Green here and yep that sucks, Tilford will just have to pick up the slack there.
4. He's 5'6, but he's also 180 and that matters, either way he'll split time with Tilford.
5. We return our starting center and our starting RT with a shot that our starting LT gets another year of eligibility as well
6. He'll be plenty more involved next year
7. I mean even with Dawkins as the back up Arizona football is screwed if Tate is out, so this point is moot, and refer back to concern 1.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
Merkin wrote:

1. Tate is injury prone
Having assistants who are in way over their heads. Thin and poor receiving corps. Transfers out of school. Special teams still weak. RB crew thin. 2018 class being subpar. Shall we go on?
You're in way over your head when you attempt to use a computer, what's your point? Yep the receiving corps certainly bothers me, need to play the young talent. Any real contributors transferring out? If not then who cares? Kickers are good, long snapper will return from injury, Punter recruit on campus this weekend. RB corps is an issue certainly if injuries arise, the 2 we picked up in this class are blah at best. Yep recruiting still is meh, which is why regardless how well we do next season RR's time in Tucson isn't for long, although there are a few guys in the class I really like. Yes, let's go on, boxers or briefs?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Great year on offense and I think the OLine has a chance to be better next year then it was this year. The staff is really high on Cain and if he can come back from that injury he could step right in at left guard assuming LF doesn't get another year. People also forget Creason was a starter as much as DeBeer was and hopefully Eletise can find some nasty and fulfill his potential. Oh, we also get the sparty guy, Lakusa.

Won 9 or 10 games with who’s defense?
Well we never win with defense but with Tate I think we could argue we would have won both the Houston and Utah game so that is 9 right there
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

D Tate will have another year back playing Football. He will be a factor if K Tate does not play every snap next year/
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Other than WSU, Oregon and USC, what games will UA not be favored in?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Merkin wrote:

1. Tate is injury prone
UA is a very young team relatively speaking. Small Senior class, which is why the 2018 class will be smaller than usual. There is some depth potential on Defense. It's rare RR has an average Offense like he did last year. Average. OL line will be fine. Plenty of OL underclassman played in multiple game this year:

Creason (12 games)
Eletise (10)
Boettcher (12)
Eldridge (12)
Kosinski (6)
Walton (6)
Cain would've played
Lukusa (transfer)

It's a young team that still won 5 conference games with a poor defense that should only get better. Even if just slightly better.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:
Merkin wrote:

1. Tate is injury prone
You must be a joy at parties. Man it must be exhausting to be such a debbie downer.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
Merkin wrote:

1. Tate is injury prone
UA is a very young team relatively speaking. Small Senior class, which is why the 2018 class will be smaller than usual. There is some depth potential on Defense. It's rare RR has an average Offense like he did last year. Average. OL line will be fine. Plenty of OL underclassman played in multiple game this year:

Creason (12 games)
Eletise (10)
Boettcher (12)
Eldridge (12)
Kosinski (6)
Walton (6)
Cain would've played
Lukusa (transfer)

It's a young team that still won 5 conference games with a poor defense that should only get better. Even if just slightly better.
Like the list but Boettcher isn't coming back
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

So, we are all having this discussion and it’s year 6 for RR. If he makes it to the first game next year it’s year 7. We are discussing all of these defenciencies this far into RR’s tenure. It’s garbage.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Merkin wrote:

1. Tate is injury prone
You must be a joy at parties. Man it must be exhausting to be such a debbie downer.
I am a joy at parties. I’m a football realist. I’m not a Homer. I call it all the way I see it and IMO. RR has shit the bed here at Arizona.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Merkin wrote:

1. Tate is injury prone
You're in way over your head when you attempt to use a computer, what's your point? Yep the receiving corps certainly bothers me, need to play the young talent. Any real contributors transferring out? If not then who cares? Kickers are good, long snapper will return from injury, Punter recruit on campus this weekend. RB corps is an issue certainly if injuries arise, the 2 we picked up in this class are blah at best. Yep recruiting still is meh, which is why regardless how well we do next season RR's time in Tucson isn't for long, although there are a few guys in the class I really like. Yes, let's go on, boxers or briefs?
Chief just way over his head against Choo. Chiefs disdain for RR and staff makes him lose objectivity. Too bad really. Tilford will fill in very well for Wilson and I believe Green around the goal line. He runs a little upright but he is strong. Maybe we see Brightwell?

Our receiver core is dreadful and it kind of falls in line with the overall recruiting RR seems to do. I also think Donovan Tate will take a step forward but will he be better than Dawkins, who knows. Likely no and that is the bitch of it, Tate saved RR's bacon.

I do think he upgraded the staff and they are doing a better job in development and recruiting. Next year should be an 8-4 year at minimum IF Tate can stay healthy. Plenty of kids in the zone read get through a year but it is interesting that most of RR's kids get hurt
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

btfd16 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Having assistants who are in way over their heads. Thin and poor receiving corps. Transfers out of school. Special teams still weak. RB crew thin. 2018 class being subpar. Shall we go on?
I don't think Chef gets many invites.
Formerly McLurvin
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

TheBlackLodge wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Having assistants who are in way over their heads. Thin and poor receiving corps. Transfers out of school. Special teams still weak. RB crew thin. 2018 class being subpar. Shall we go on?
I don't think Chef gets many invites.
I'm starting to think that the TJ hater in Philly and the Chief are one and the same person.

I mean think about it: have you ever seen them in the same room?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Has Heeke said anything regarding RR?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

OSUCat wrote:Has Heeke said anything regarding RR?

Yes. He didn’t say much when asked about an RR extension. He said he would sit down with RR. That’s about it. You also sit down when you get fired.....if it’s not on a tarmac.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
My comment was directed at more people than you, thus why the plural word "guys" was there in the sentence. Don't let your ego convince you that it's all about you, as it isn't.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update: