ramcat

Re: Coach Rod

Post by ramcat »

Smith up for Asst of the year.

https://zonazealots.com/2017/11/29/ariz ... alist/amp/" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:Smith up for Asst of the year.

For what? QBs threw for only 14 tds and 12 ints. For teaching his QBs not to pass well at all but run like RBs? Strange.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That does seem odd. I like Yates work with the corners. He seems to excel there more than maybe as a DC. I thought Boone did well with the LB's
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:That does seem odd. I like Yates work with the corners. He seems to excel there more than maybe as a DC. I thought Boone did well with the LB's

Agreed.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

chiefzona wrote:

For what? QBs threw for only 14 tds and 12 ints. For teaching his QBs not to pass well at all but run like RBs? Strange.
I get the pedestrian passing stats but clearly within RR'S offense, the QB is called upon to take what defense gives, which is often reading what defense is showing against run. Not sure anyone would say the wr's are legit targets very often. Think youve said that yourself.The production by Tate and QB position during run of wins, which turned season around was historic, even though rushing from the position. Took a largely unknown QB and thrust him into the middle of the Heisman conversation. AZ was picked last in conference so to end up at 7-5, which likely would have been 9-3 overall and 6-3 in conference, had Tate started from beginning is quite an improvement, and achievement. This was largely due to offensive production and out scoring opponents, though def improved some too.
Don't think he'll win but... The Production by Tate raised some serious and wide ranging attention. Don't think that's all attributable to Smith but certainly had impact in Tate recognition and understanding of offensive scheme. Had Tate started from the get go, would believe those passing stats would be quite different and believe that's ultimately on RR, not Smith.
Dawkins has no business playing QB clearly, so have to look at what is there to work with.
I think at times Tate showed some excellent passing touch and placement. Interceptions often occurring due to forcing passes down field, when plays were open underneath, not exactly unheard of for an 18-19 yr old sophomore.
Most improved in scoring offense from 2016 to 2017 by power 5 from 97th to 6th, is a very telling Stat supporting this.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I mean I meant it figuratively obviously, and I love Steve, so I shall trash him publicly for his takes and blow him kisses afterwards as long as the board gods allow me to do so. You can ignore me, not respond to me, whatever as well if you don't like it.
My comment was directed at more people than you, thus why the plural word "guys" was there in the sentence. Don't let your ego convince you that it's all about you, as it isn't.
Oh spare me, I have no bigger ego than any other person here. Im a guy posting on a message board for christ sakes, I'm not the guy sticking it to Kate Upton daily. If that were the case my ego would be massive! This is all fun, lighten up Francis.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ramcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I get the pedestrian passing stats but clearly within RR'S offense, the QB is called upon to take what defense gives, which is often reading what defense is showing against run. Not sure anyone would say the wr's are legit targets very often. Think youve said that yourself.The production by Tate and QB position during run of wins, which turned season around was historic, even though rushing from the position. Took a largely unknown QB and thrust him into the middle of the Heisman conversation. AZ was picked last in conference so to end up at 7-5, which likely would have been 9-3 overall and 6-3 in conference, had Tate started from beginning is quite an improvement, and achievement. This was largely due to offensive production and out scoring opponents, though def improved some too.
Don't think he'll win but... The Production by Tate raised some serious and wide ranging attention. Don't think that's all attributable to Smith but certainly had impact in Tate recognition and understanding of offensive scheme. Had Tate started from the get go, would believe those passing stats would be quite different and believe that's ultimately on RR, not Smith.
Dawkins has no business playing QB clearly, so have to look at what is there to work with.
I think at times Tate showed some excellent passing touch and placement. Interceptions often occurring due to forcing passes down field, when plays were open underneath, not exactly unheard of for an 18-19 yr old sophomore.
Most improved in scoring offense from 2016 to 2017 by power 5 from 97th to 6th, is a very telling Stat supporting this.
So Smith "develops" one good QB in 6 years (quotes because even a blind coach could develop an athlete like Tate). Is that anyone's idea of a good QB coach?
Sid

Post by Sid »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I mean I meant it figuratively obviously, and I love Steve, so I shall trash him publicly for his takes and blow him kisses afterwards as long as the board gods allow me to do so. You can ignore me, not respond to me, whatever as well if you don't like it.
My comment was directed at more people than you, thus why the plural word "guys" was there in the sentence. Don't let your ego convince you that it's all about you, as it isn't.
Oh spare me, I have no bigger ego than any other person here. Im a guy posting on a message board for christ sakes, I'm not the guy sticking it to Kate Upton daily. If that were the case my ego would be massive! This is all fun, lighten up Francis.
Speaking of fun...a picture of Kate’s huge fun bags would be fun!
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

MrMeow wrote:
ramcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

So Smith "develops" one good QB in 6 years (quotes because even a blind coach could develop an athlete like Tate). Is that anyone's idea of a good QB coach?
I'd imagine the criteria for being a nominee for this award has nothing to do with years prior to 2017. It's for, Coach of the Year, not Years.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ramcat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
ramcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I'd imagine the criteria for being a nominee for this award has nothing to do with years prior to 2017. It's for, Coach of the Year, not Years.
As I said, even a blind coach could have developed an athlete like Tate. No award is warranted.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

As mentioned, don't think he'll win but when your offense goes from 97th to 6th in scoring, offensive coaches get attn, and nominations. Tate also, from no where was being looked at as serious Heisman candidate, so obviously his individual talents, we're recognized as well.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

COY for Rich Rod and !st team all PAC12 D for Lorenzo Burns. Pretty nice snd i imagine not the first award RR will win for this year
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Sweet maybe he moves on
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

CalStateTempe wrote:Sweet maybe he moves on
Bad Fan-----------Good Fan
|-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10|
|-----X----------------|
------------------------

Bad Fan Good Fan Analyzer©
Copyright UALoco 2017
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

COY won't bring the fans back into the stands.
I imagine RichRod's agent is quite busy making calls.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Merkin wrote:COY won't bring the fans back into the stands.
I bet you beer and Khalil Tate will have a difference. Has that been passed for football yet?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

No one wants him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

whatisee wrote:
I bet you beer and Khalil Tate will have a difference. Has that been passed for football yet?
It's been discussed, but has not been submitted for licensing yet.

Beer + better more comfortable seats will get them in more that Tate will.

Last year when Tate had 3 POTW awards and in the top 5 for Heisman consideration Cats only drew 42,822 against a good and bowl bound WSU team.

Which is just really sad.
Last edited by Merkin on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

This is not accurate at all. There is no chance RR is reaching out to other teams. PERIOD
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
whatisee wrote:
It's been discussed, but has not been submitted for licensing yet.

Beer + better more comfortable seats will get them in more that Tate will.

Last year when Tate had 3 POY awards and in the top 5 for Heisman consideration Cats only drew 42,822 against a good and bowl bound WSU team.

Which is just really sad.
It is really sad how poor our fans are overall
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
This is not accurate at all. There is no chance RR is reaching out to other teams. PERIOD
He's done it before after a successful season, and if the Gamecocks would have offered him a raise he would have been gone.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

The fans are done with the RR experiment.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
He's done it before after a successful season, and if the Gamecocks would have offered him a raise he would have been gone.
There is NO CHANCE he is right now. PERIOD. With his performance in 2016 and his family, ZERO CHANCE. Get over your hate for him or start hating Miller also.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:The fans are done with the RR experiment.
Who wants 9 wins next year? I do, and I am a huge fan, so am fully on the RR train.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have to wonder IF we will sell even a 1000 tickets to the Foster Farms bowl. The Cal game had very few AZ fans in attendance so if they are hoping the Bay area alumni will pick up the slack, well I am not so sure
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:I have to wonder IF we will sell even a 100 tickets to the Foster Farms bowl. The Cal game had very few AZ fans in attendance so if they are hoping the Bay area alumni will pick up the slack, well I am not so sure
Worried too and that will hurt our bowl selection for coming years. I purchased some for troops. Hope other who can will do the same.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I bought two......two from NMST for the AZ Bowl. Great story and actually really looking forward to watching the aggies and their fans have a great time. The cats, they got enough of my money
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My understanding is the the schools picked for the bowls are required to purchase a certain amount of tickets. If they go unsold like they did in the Glidden Bowl in ABQ, then the UA has to eat the costs, or more precisely the PAC does. That's why you see these bowl games with just empty seats, since the bowl gets paid even if no one shows.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:My understanding is the the schools picked for the bowls are required to purchase a certain amount of tickets. If they go unsold like they did in the Glidden Bowl in ABQ, then the UA has to eat the costs, or more precisely the PAC does. That's why you see these bowl games with just empty seats, since the bowl gets paid even if no one shows.
The school pays for the tickets. The distributed PAC-12 money after expenses 1/13ths to other schools and 2/13th to the playing school, will offset the cost of the tickets.

The bowls want attendance to sell the non school allocated tickets
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

if only santa clara was in phoenix....
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I think that's wishful thinking on your part Chief. I personally think most of the fans want to win and if we do, they don't spend a lot of time worrying about the coach. Not to long ago a very unscientific poll was conducted on attendance. No one even mentioned the coach. It was all about parking, game times, length of games, cost of games, and over all fan experience.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Who wants 9 wins next year? I do, and I am a huge fan, so am fully on the RR train.
RR will be lucky to win 7-8 games at best next season. 9 wins will only happen if Arizona got lucky against certain team's their weren't suppose to win against.

I'm not betting on 9 wins. I betting on maintain the current course of being above .500 team.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

tgrumpy2 wrote:

I think that's wishful thinking on your part Chief. I personally think most of the fans want to win and if we do, they don't spend a lot of time worrying about the coach. Not to long ago a very unscientific poll was conducted on attendance. No one even mentioned the coach. It was all about parking, game times, length of games, cost of games, and over all fan experience.

In 2015, Arizona was drawing 47,000-56,000 every home game. 52,987 vs Oregon State. So, stop with the wishful thinking crap. The fans are done.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

We could hire Saban and Tucson be like, "who?"
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

In 2015, Arizona was drawing 47,000-56,000 every home game. 52,987 vs Oregon State. So, stop with the wishful thinking crap. The fans are done.

Right Chief, a year after they won the P12 South. Then a mediocre year and a rotten year and attendance went South. Go figure. No Chief what you're pushing is nothing but wishful thinking. I tell you what, if attendance doesn't pick up next year from Tate and a winning season this year, I'll jump on your bandwagon. This is just more hate anything RichRod.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

RR has done something to not deserve hate?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

Right Chief, a year after they won the P12 South. Then a mediocre year and a rotten year and attendance went South. Go figure. No Chief what you're pushing is nothing but wishful thinking. I tell you what, if attendance doesn't pick up next year from Tate and a winning season this year, I'll jump on your bandwagon. This is just more hate anything RichRod.
I'm pushing facts of recorded attendance. Hopefully, it does pick up this next year but I doubt it. My wishful thinking is already two years down the road. Apathy is a strong feeling and dangerous when a fan base feels it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Reasons attendance is down.

Stated reasons by fans
Kickoff times
Length of game
TV experience better
Game day experience sucks

Logical Reasons
Kickoff times
Poor play in 2016
Fair weather fans/not a priority for many fans
West Coast

Chief's default for everything wrong in the UA program/city/state/nation/world/life
Rich Rod
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

ASUHATER! wrote:RR has done something to not deserve hate?
How about recruiting three freshman All Americans, plus Khalil, JJ, and exceeded expectations this past season?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

carcassdragger wrote:
How about recruiting three freshman All Americans, plus Khalil, JJ, and exceeded expectations this past season?
Preach on. The haters and turds will always find faults because that us their character
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

PHXCATS wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:
Preach on. The haters and turds will always find faults because that us their character
And the people with blinders on will always ignore the legitimate problems that exist and make excuses for everything, because that is their character.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

SCCats wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:
And the people with blinders on will always ignore the legitimate problems that exist and make excuses for everything, because that is their character.
There certainly are imperfections but....

Defense is improving
QB play is improving
Recruiting is improving
Play calling is improving
TE use is improving

RR did so much if what the fans asked of him, why it isn't good enough for the turds and those who aren't helping the program means that there is no possibility of being happy for them
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

On the 3 fantastic freshmen:

Kylan Wilborn - 3 star - Other offers: Hawaii, Idaho
Colin Schooler - 3 star - Other offers: Buffalo, Charleston Southern, Fresno, Nevada, UNM, SJSU, UNLV
Tony Fields II - 3 star - Other offers: ASU, BSU, BYU, Cal, CU, other primarily western schools, solid list.

Khalil Tate - Only UA offered him as a QB
JJ Taylor: 3 star - Other offers: Montana St, Nevada, Ohio, WSU, Weber State

Now the question is, is RichRod an absolute stud in finding diamonds in the rough? Or was he just lucky?

Cats seem to be weak in the trenches next year, and lose 2 out of their top 3 RBs. Tate is no longer a surprise, and needs to be able to throw over the top downfield to stop 8 in the box. Can he do that?

Most importantly, can Tate stay injury free? The answer is probably not, the way RichRod's scheme puts QBs in harms way quite a bit.

Rumor has Dawkins leaving as a grad transfer. No great loss, as we all know, but there goes the UA's only experienced backup QB. RhettRod in only mid-major good, and who knows anything about D Tate? Takes a year for a QB to learn RichRod's Zone Read offense. Even Solomon had to redshirt.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I would love to know what the legitimate problems are that are not being addressed and improved on
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

PHXCATS wrote:
SCCats wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:
There certainly are imperfections but....

Defense is improving
QB play is improving
Recruiting is improving
Play calling is improving
TE use is improving

RR did so much if what the fans asked of him, why it isn't good enough for the turds and those who aren't helping the program means that there is no possibility of being happy for them
If only their character flaws would allow them to see the truth...of how bad things are. But alas, their character won't allow it. Their not recognizing the problems and the dissembling and the making of excuses are both the proverbial and actual turd in the punch bowl.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:Reasons attendance is down.

Stated reasons by fans
Kickoff times
Length of game
TV experience better
Game day experience sucks

Logical Reasons
Kickoff times
Poor play in 2016
Fair weather fans/not a priority for many fans
West Coast

Chief's default for everything wrong in the UA program/city/state/nation/world/life
Rich Rod

I think that whatever excuses that you personally buy for the attendance drop off are your reality and therefore good enough for me. But I’ll stick with what I said and we can agree to disagree.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

I'm pushing facts of recorded attendance. Hopefully, it does pick up this next year but I doubt it. My wishful thinking is already two years down the road. Apathy is a strong feeling and dangerous when a fan base feels it.

I don't find fault with your actual stats on attendance. I even agreed. What I disagree with is your reason for it. Again I think that reason is just wishful thinking.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Fwiw I agree with Chief very much so on how the fans view Rich Rod currently. The ASU game could've swayed some fans who were on the fence and unfortunately for Rich those fans have jumped off the fence and are going into next year with a "I'll watch Khalil Tate at home" stance. Rich Rod could conceivably win 9 games next year (all pending on Tate's health) and could still very likely lose his job.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:Fwiw I agree with Chief very much so on how the fans view Rich Rod currently. The ASU game could've swayed some fans who were on the fence and unfortunately for Rich those fans have jumped off the fence and are going into next year with a "I'll watch Khalil Tate at home" stance. Rich Rod could conceivably win 9 games next year (all pending on Tate's health) and could still very likely lose his job.
If U of A wins 9 games next year and the fans dont show up, that is on the "fans" not RR 100%.