Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: Coach Rod

Post by chiefzona »

Y'all still basking in the mire of mediocrity? Still need more punishment? :lol:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The slow starts in bowl games is concerning but love the fight in the 2nd half.

I don't make a decision on RR on the last two games as there are a lot of circumstances that have gone against UA that have nothing to do with RR being a bad coach or UA not talented. But Heeke needs to have huge expectations of the team and staff next year.

No more excuses after last night
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Winners make their own luck.

Winners put themselves in position to mitigate chance.

RR talks a big game but underneath the bluster he isn't a winner.

I understand we are stuck with RR for next season and I don't have to like it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Winners make their own luck.

So Miller isn't a winner?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:Y'all still basking in the mire of mediocrity? Still need more punishment? :lol:
Congrats on the loss last night, by the way. I'm sure that was an extra holiday present for you.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:I don't make a decision on RR on the last two games as there are a lot of circumstances that have gone against UA that have nothing to do with RR being a bad coach or UA not talented.
Just the last two games? Did the Oregon game not happen?

Truth is that we were 7-3 at one point. And if we had a good coach who gave a shit about recruiting, we could have been 8-2 or even 9-1. To lose our last three in a row, including one against our rival who OWNS RichRod’s ass and yet still fired their coach, is downright terrible.

“I don’t make a decision based on the last two games” is fucking hilarious. How about the last two seasons? How about his whole mediocre stupid career? You’re like the guy who keeps going back to Fat Sal’s Used Cars even though the last couple lemons you bought caught fire while you were driving them. I guess a sucker is truly born every minute....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Winners make their own luck.

So Miller isn't a winner?
Oh ffs
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Wah wah wah Purdue used some skulduggery and that caused us to lose...fooey foo bad mean refs. Refs!!!!!

If we had a coach worth a damn, and one who recruited the past 5 years rather then mailing it in and cramming for this season like the night before the test, we win last nights game.

Instead we get beat by a pedestrian team with a young coach who gives a damn for all phases of the game. Give credit where credit is due; we got beat.

How about that last half drive by Purdue. RR should take notes when you see what he put on the field for asu. Or how about that 4down timeout.

Again, big talker but no stones. Not a winner.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The attempt at equivalency between Miller and RR is always good for a laugh.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Y'all still basking in the mire of mediocrity? Still need more punishment? :lol:
Congrats on the loss last night, by the way. I'm sure that was an extra holiday present for you.

Did you see how I coached mediocre Purdue to put up 555 yards on that Casteel Curtain defense? Not too shabby.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Honest, non-flame question on the issue of retaining RR. If you had to assess what you'd expect from a new coach, of the 100%, how likely is it we get an upgrade, more of about the same or a downgrade?

Personally, I'd class it as follows:

Upgrade--20%
More of about the same--20%
Downgrade--60%

Feel free to disagree. I'm honestly interested in how people see the likely outcomes of a replacement.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Honest, non-flame question on the issue of retaining RR. If you had to assess what you'd expect from a jew coach, of the 100%, how likely is it we get an upgrade, more of about the same or a downgrade?

Upgrade--20%
Downgrade--60%

Feel free to disagree. I'm honestly interested in how people see the likely outcomes of a replacement.
Umm
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Honest, non-flame question on the issue of retaining RR. If you had to assess what you'd expect from a jew coach, of the 100%, how likely is it we get an upgrade, more of about the same or a downgrade?
Um spiff? (Smartphone typing?)
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:The attempt at equivalency between Miller and RR is always good for a laugh.
They are far from equals but we always hear how bad luck with BA getting hurt cost UA a final four and Wisconsin would have beat the warriors with that shooting the next year and the refs calls etc.

So bad luck only is a negative on RR but not Miller?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Upgrade 25%
Same results over 5 year time horizon 50%
Downgrade 25%
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UA didn't win and it is their fault for a shitty first half.

But a guy getting the ball deflected to his hands after hitting a defender on a td play. A guy droppib g an ing to seal it. The refs blowing many calls and costing 3 points since they told UA not to try on the fake knee are all things that have nothing to do with coaching. Any of those things don't happen UA likely wins. Same with Tate getting hurt and the blown call vs asu which again the PAC12 said they got wrong.

That's why I don't make a decision based on the last two games. Factor in all the other stuff if you want but I personally wouldn't as AD just factor in the last two games
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Hiring a coach today

Upgrade 3%
Same 17%
Downgrade 80%

Next year way different story
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Um spiff? (Smartphone typing?)
Yes. Fat fingers, smartphone and j adjacent to n = wrong letter. Corrected in my actual post.

My bad. Ugh.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Honest, non-flame question on the issue of retaining RR. If you had to assess what you'd expect from a new coach, of the 100%, how likely is it we get an upgrade, more of about the same or a downgrade?

Upgrade--20%
Downgrade--60%

Honestly if we are so damn afraid of it being more of about the same or a downgrade we should just bulldoze Arizona Stadium tomorrow and move on from football. I'm so tired of the stockholm syndrome that I see here daily. The grass isn't always greener blah blah blah. I look forward to joining the WCC soon.

You can't be afraid of change and must strive for better. What benefit does signing RR for the long haul provide Arizona Athletics in any way? Honest question.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

I'm not yet in the Fire RRod category.........yet.

If Heeke does decide to pink slip RRod the best time would be the day after National Letter of Intent day if February. We aren't USC who can fire their coach and still hang on to 5 Star recruits. I realize the early signing day this year means most of our recruits are locked in but we still have a number of commits that are still unsigned and we are also still recruiting a few prospects. Firing a coach at AZ has historically resulted in a very bad recruiting class that year...........we can't afford that at AZ
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Honest, non-flame question on the issue of retaining RR. If you had to assess what you'd expect from a new coach, of the 100%, how likely is it we get an upgrade, more of about the same or a downgrade?

Upgrade--20%
Downgrade--60%

Well considering with our cupcake OOC schedule every year and the fact that despite our awful recruiting we are still a power 5 school with great weather and hot women... almost any warm body with coaching experience should get our team to 4-6 wins every year with some bowl games sprinkled in. You have to really suck to not make bowl games consistently.

so almost any other coach than rich rod:

upgrade: 35%
more of the same 55%
downgrade: 10%
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Upgrade--20%
Downgrade--60%

Honestly if we are so damn afraid of it being more of about the same or a downgrade we should just bulldoze Arizona Stadium tomorrow and move on from football. I'm so tired of the stockholm syndrome that I see here daily. The grass isn't always greener blah blah blah. I look forward to joining the WCC soon.

You can't be afraid of change and must strive for better. What benefit does signing RR for the long haul provide Arizona Athletics in any way? Honest question.
absolutely. need rep for this post.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Factoring in firing RR today and only factoring in the 2018 season
Upgrade 1%
Same 4%
Downgrade 95%
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:Factoring in firing RR today and only factoring in the 2018 season
Upgrade 1%
Same 4%
Downgrade 95%
Haven't seen anybody other than maybe Chief advocating for firing him today. We all know if we're going to fire him it's either going to be midseason of 2018 or at the end of the 2018 season. Stop being dense.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Factoring in firing RR today and only factoring in the 2018 season
Upgrade 1%
Same 4%
Downgrade 95%
Haven't seen anybody other than maybe Chief advocating for firing him today. We all know if we're going to fire him it's either going to be midseason of 2018 or at the end of the 2018 season. Stop being dense.
he thinks it is cute.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Upgrade--20%
Downgrade--60%

I don't think you move on until you have a legit shot at upgrading your situation. I'm not arguing you lock in RR for the long haul either.

I don't see a likely upgrade on the horizon if we change now. That may change in the future if RR backslides or our option improve.

Change takes a toll too. You pay a price in buyouts, loss of recruting leverage, transfers, etc. You eat that when you think it's a price to be paid for an upgrade. I just do not see a high chance we improve our situation changing now.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Mid or after 2018 firing

Upgrade 25%
Same 40%
Downgrade 35%

But without 9 wins needs to be done no matter what
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:Hiring a coach today

Upgrade 3%
Same 17%
Downgrade 80%

Next year way different story
No one is talking about firing and hiring a coach today, that would absolutely make no sense at this point in the season...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Nice edit machine.

Upgrade 50%
Same 45%
Downgrade 5%
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Upgrade--20%
Downgrade--60%

I don't think you move on until you have a legit shot at upgrading your situation. I'm not arguing you lock in RR for the long haul either.

I don't see a likely upgrade on the horizon if we change now. That may change in the future if RR backslides or our option improve.

Change takes a toll too. You pay a price in buyouts, loss of recruting leverage, transfers, etc. You eat that when you think it's a price to be paid for an upgrade. I just do not see a high chance we improve our situation changing now.
Yeah like I said no one is really advocating for canning him today as it's too late for that, but after the 2018 season he only has 1 season remaining on his contract. You have to either A. Extend him or B. Move on, there's no in between here from a business stand point, especially with an AD that did not hire him.

All in all it depends on what your definition of an upgrade is. Is Arizona hiring an experienced head coach better than RR? Of course not, but Arizona doesn't have to hire Urban Meyer or the like to improve its situation. Some times a young and hungry coordinator or small school coach is more than an appropriate option to take and ends up being an upgrade in the end. There's not one facet that RR is getting it done at at Arizona, not coaching, not recruiting, and ESPECIALLY not selling the program to the community. If a new coach can do any one of those 3 things better than RR then we will have improved our situation. I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying as much am I?
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Upgrade--20%
Downgrade--60%

absolutely. need rep for this post.
What choo said.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Preach choo.

Actually I don't think there is any downside to canning rr after next season. He's not the future. That's clear after his 6-7 seasons here.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Preach choo.

Actually I don't think there is any downside to canning rr after next season. He's not the future. That's clear after his 6-7 seasons here.
What's your win total for 2018 to bring him back?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Personally for me wins/losses isn't the only metric I would consider at the end of the 2018 campaign.

I would look at:

1) Recruiting..........if RRod has hauled in a top 40 class by the end of November I would be very loathe to can him
2) Commitment to Special teams......are we improving? Have we signed competent punters/kickers?
3) Commitment to defense. For years RRod has preached the Zone Read & Up Tempo offense. Its way past time he start to
emphasize the other side of the coin
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Upgrade--20%
Downgrade--60%

Yeah like I said no one is really advocating for canning him today as it's too late for that, but after the 2018 season he only has 1 season remaining on his contract. You have to either A. Extend him or B. Move on, there's no in between here from a business stand point, especially with an AD that did not hire him.

All in all it depends on what your definition of an upgrade is. Is Arizona hiring an experienced head coach better than RR? Of course not, but Arizona doesn't have to hire Urban Meyer or the like to improve its situation. Some times a young and hungry coordinator or small school coach is more than an appropriate option to take and ends up being an upgrade in the end. There's not one facet that RR is getting it done at at Arizona, not coaching, not recruiting, and ESPECIALLY not selling the program to the community. If a new coach can do any one of those 3 things better than RR then we will have improved our situation. I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying as much am I?
My question was premised on the idea some want him gone now and the likelihood of an upgrade today. There are a lot of variables that affect tomorrow.

I don't disagree that he may not be back after 2018. I think this season showed movement in a positive direction. Whether that continues probably dictates whether RR returns.

In terms of an upgrade, I rate it in almost exclusively in terms of product on the field. A new hire can get people charged up, but if it does not translate to the field, any excitement dies fast. Same with recruiting. You can pull a big class, but if it doesn't translate, the momentum falls off with the quickness.

Success is how people stay engaged in the long term.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Upgrade--20%
Downgrade--60%

My question was premised on the idea some want him gone now and the likelihood of an upgrade today. There are a lot of variables that affect tomorrow.

I don't disagree that he may not be back after 2018. I think this season showed movement in a positive direction. Whether that continues probably dictates whether RR returns.

In terms of an upgrade, I rate it in almost exclusively in terms of product on the field. A new hire can get people charged up, but if it does not translate to the field, any excitement dies fast. Same with recruiting. You can pull a big class, but if it doesn't translate, the momentum falls off with the quickness.

Success is how people stay engaged in the long term.
All it took was one big upset by Mike Stoops's team over UCLA to charge the entire community up for Arizona football for a few years. Obviously that charge died out once it became clear that Stoops could only take us so far, but it's not hard to charge up this community, you've just gotta give them something to believe in.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yep. and we haven't had something to charge us up since Nov 28, 2014.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Upgrade--20%
Downgrade--60%

If we just try to keep doing the same old thing (by that I mean our focus is on things like "hiring a good head coach" instead of trying to figure out where we might have advantages and/or can create advantages as a program), yeah I'd generally agree.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I don't see the fans being energized about a team that lost 4 out of their last 5 games to end the season. The last in prolific fashion. I just hope the next coach is hungry and busts his ass recruiting cause a lot of these OKG's are not getting it done.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote:

Upgrade--20%
Downgrade--60%

If we just try to keep doing the same old thing (by that I mean our focus is on things like "hiring a good head coach" instead of trying to figure out where we might have advantages and/or can create advantages as a program), yeah I'd generally agree.
I agree with thinking outside the box about creating advantages and driving interest. I've tossed out ideas on how to do that, but I do think most of that is outside the control of a head coach.

I think RR tries a lot of the things within the control of the HC. We try to utilize social media to brand with recruits. He's been fairly aggressive in driving marketing campaigns (even semi-silly ones like the Old West shootout one) to expand visibility.

Other things, like gameday experience for fans and facilities, are more of an athletic department issue.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Upgrade--20%
Downgrade--60%

I agree with thinking outside the box about creating advantages and driving interest. I've tossed out ideas on how to do that, but I do think most of that is outside the control of a head coach.

I think RR tries a lot of the things within the control of the HC. We try to utilize social media to brand with recruits. He's been fairly aggressive in driving marketing campaigns (even semi-silly ones like the Old West shootout one) to expand visibility.

Other things, like gameday experience for fans and facilities, are more of an athletic department issue.
Win games that the fans care about and get excited about.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dmjcat wrote:Personally for me wins/losses isn't the only metric I would consider at the end of the 2018 campaign.

I would look at:

1) Recruiting..........if RRod has hauled in a top 40 class by the end of November I would be very loathe to can him
2) Commitment to Special teams......are we improving? Have we signed competent punters/kickers?
3) Commitment to defense. For years RRod has preached the Zone Read & Up Tempo offense. Its way past time he start to
Id feel the same with a top 25 class. These 50+ rated recruiting classes year after year just don't cut it
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We can upgrade right now by hiring someone like Les Miles.

We can upgrade at the end of next season by hiring someone like Major Applewhite.

We can continue to win 5 to 7 games a season, watching the team choke in any semblance of an important moment, by extending RR for however much longer.

I like choices A & B a fuck-ton more than C.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Football is different than basketball. It takes time no matter who you hire unless it happens to be someone who's been around long enough to have some type of religious following among 5 star players. Since we love UA any downtime pains us. Big picture here, RR should have been gone long ago. As someone else said, his offensive system exposes players to injury and the 3-3-5 he had kills any hope of a lineman with dreams of NFL showcasing their ability so any lineman with half a brain didn't come here. By their fruits you will know them. His whole vibe, mentality, history, actions, lack of actions, results, and more, points to a man who doesn't think much at all about anything other than what benefits him, with the lack of foresight to think that with more effort and willingness to learn, grow, and adapt, his benefits would outweigh the sweet deal he has now. What I would give to make the money he makes being as bad as he is... But I wouldn't be, that's the thing. I'm not knowledgeable at all, but my character and outlook and love of learning would make the end result better than his for sure.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Preach choo.

What's your win total for 2018 to bring him back?
What does it matter? We are still on borrowed time till we regress to the mean under RR or he retires (but not in Tucson) or goes elsewhere. Hell we are at the mean for uofa football and it sucks.

I tend not to treat coaches heading into their 7-8season like those just getting things up and running years 1-3. The program should be running smoothly by now. It's not.

Frankly he's lost this fans confidence that he can coach. The game has passed him by IMO.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dmjcat wrote:Personally for me wins/losses isn't the only metric I would consider at the end of the 2018 campaign.

I would look at:

Ding ding ding.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

If we realistically dont think we can upgrade from whatever the hell this RR era is, then we might as well fold the damn program. UA football isnt making money, and we dont think we can upgrade? Im sorry, I just find that completely impossible to believe.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

TucsonClip wrote:If we realistically dont think we can upgrade from whatever the hell this RR era is, then we might as well fold the damn program. UA football isnt making money, and we dont think we can upgrade? Im sorry, I just find that completely impossible to believe.
It can be done and needs to be done next year without 9 wins. But I think people like me and others are saying that it will not be a layup to get a coach who will do better, especially with the issues that are stacked against U of A from having the best realistic options. Lack of history, lack of facilities, lack of tradition, lack of finances, lack of fan support and attendance, lack of big recruiting base. Note that all these work against recruiting as well without even factoring in the coach and his staff and strategy yet.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:If we realistically dont think we can upgrade from whatever the hell this RR era is, then we might as well fold the damn program. UA football isnt making money, and we dont think we can upgrade? Im sorry, I just find that completely impossible to believe.
It can be done and needs to be done next year without 9 wins. But I think people like me and others are saying that it will not be a layup to get a coach who will do better, especially with the issues that are stacked against U of A from having the best realistic options. Lack of history, lack of facilities, lack of tradition, lack of finances, lack of fan support and attendance, lack of big recruiting base. Note that all these work against recruiting as well without even factoring in the coach and his staff and strategy yet.
Then fold the program.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Can we just frame this post and put it on the wall?