Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Coach Rod

Post by scumdevils86 »

Socks should result in an immediate permaban of the sock and the original poster.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Indeed they should.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

18 of 22 starters returning. Most in the PAC-12 and 5th most in the nation. Better days ahead for 2018
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

scumdevils86 wrote:Socks should result in an immediate permaban of the sock and the original poster.
I'm wearing socks right now and don't see why I should be banned for it. Frankly, I don't trust a person who doesn't wear socks.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

socks with sandals?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Socks should result in an immediate permaban of the sock and the original poster.
I'm wearing socks right now and don't see why I should be banned for it. Frankly, I don't trust a person who doesn't wear socks.
On the same foot (pun intended) I don't trust a person who wears socks with no shoes.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:18 of 22 starters returning. Most in the PAC-12 and 5th most in the nation. Better days ahead for 2018
Still headed by a coach past his prime.

We'll be disorganized but play hard. 7 win season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:18 of 22 starters returning. Most in the PAC-12 and 5th most in the nation. Better days ahead for 2018

9 or we riot.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:

9 or he gone and U of A if healthy will be favored in at least 9 games

USC will be a toss up (home though)
Oregon will be a toss up (home though)
WSU will be a toss up

Arizona will be favored vs
Cal
Colorado
Utah
asu
Oregon State
UCLA
BYU
Houston
Southern Utah
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

:lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

scumdevils86 wrote:socks with sandals?
All the time for me. It's a good look.

Anyone who doesn't like socks and sandals never played summer basketball. It makes me feel young again.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
On the same foot (pun intended) I don't trust a person who wears socks with no shoes.

"We at the crib so it ain't no rules (ah)
I'm butt naked, sweat socks, and house shoes (ah)"

-R Kelly
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

"We at the crib so it ain't no rules (ah)
I'm butt naked, sweat socks, and house shoes (ah)"

-R Kelly
"Drip, Drip, Drip"

-R Kelly
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Next year, I expect to be RR last year at Arizona. I will watch games, because I’m a sucker, unless it goes 2016-2017 bad. I have no hope for next year team. I have been extremely underwhelmed by player progression from year to year across the board.

I don’t have any inside knowledge but it seems Heeke wants nothing to do with RR.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Y’all are gluttons for punishment if you’re asking for another season. Like pigs who wallow in the mire of mediocrity. I think we’ve seen enough of Captain Big Game and All Shame. He slept on recruiting and the program and then tried to clean up the toxic waste spill with a straw. He’s been paid well by Arizona and he slept at the wheel. If you are still backing him and defending him you are lost and you really don’t care about the players, fans, school, and program.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am on the hire Lane or Major train. Anyone else isn't worth it before the 2018 season
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Does anyone have any insight in to what heeke is thinking now? Severally alluded to him not being happy with RR but has anyone heard anything they want to share?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

CalStateTempe wrote:Does anyone have any insight in to what heeke is thinking now? Severally alluded to him not being happy with RR but has anyone heard anything they want to share?

He’s currently watching Matt Wells on the sideline and he’s licking his chops. Someone get that man a steak.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Kevin Sumlin for the right price. It’s being discussed.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:Kevin Sumlin for the right price. It’s being discussed.
So basically trading RichRod for a guy who got canned in a less pressurized P5 school more recently. Awesome.

I get people who argue for young coordinators and up and coming guys. I don't get the logic of changing RR for someone like Sumlin or Kiffin who have careers that largely mirror RR's. I would have been on for Charlie Strong bc he got a raw deal at Texas, but Sumlin had a looong leash at aTm and still got canned.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
So basically trading RichRod for a guy who got canned in a less pressurized P5 school more recently. Awesome.

I get people who argue for young coordinators and up and coming guys. I don't get the logic of changing RR for someone like Sumlin or Kiffin who have careers that largely mirror RR's. I would have been on for Charlie Strong bc he got a raw deal at Texas, but Sumlin had a looong leash at aTm and still got canned.
Sumlin is an outstanding recruiter and Texas A&M has 8000 times more pressure than U of A
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sumlin went 56-21 during his 6 year tenure playing in the toughest division in the toughest conference in all of college football. Tell me when Rich did that? Rich is 4-14 against USC, UCLA, and ASU in 6 years and has a 24-30 conference record. That is Kindergarten shit. Sumlin played against

Alabama
Auburn
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Miss State
LSU

every year for 6 years straight and still managed 56-21 overall and 25-23 conference record. RR doesn’t even compare in any arena....at all.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Sumlin is an outstanding recruiter and Texas A&M has 8000 times more pressure than U of A
RichRod's two Michigan classes were #10 and #17 nationally. Sumlin's last two were #13 and #18. Texas A&M is in a talent packed state.

Sumlin inherited Manziel and struggled without him. People are mad about "settling for mediocrity" with RR and want a guy who went 8-5, 8-5, 8-5 and 7-5 with a 15-16 conference record without Manziel. Damn.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Sumlin is gone in 2 to 3 with any success like he had in his 1st couple to few with A&M.
Not buying that as a Solid option as bad as its been of late with RR. Would likely garner some extra tickets for a couple years, so there's that...
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

If Sumlin were coaching at NAU he would out recruit Rich Rod with a bag over his head and two hands tied behind his back.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

RichRod's two Michigan classes were #10 and #17 nationally. Sumlin's last two were #13 and #18. Texas A&M is in a talent packed state.

Sumlin inherited Manziel and struggled without him. People are mad about "settling for mediocrity" with RR and want a guy who went 8-5, 8-5, 8-5 and 7-5 with a 15-16 conference record without Manziel. Damn.
Sumlin has put a ton of guys in the NFL.

So if RR can recruit at Michigan but not UA doesn't that say how hard it is to recruit to UA for anyone?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

So if RR can recruit at Michigan but not UA doesn't that say how hard it is to recruit to UA for anyone?
Yes, it is an indication that recruiting success at a school with more recruiting power might not transfer to Arizona. That's pretty much my argument for why Sumlin's recruiting rankings (similar to RR) do not guarantee any recruiting upgrade if he came here. Michigan and Texas A&M have more resources than we do and RR and Sumlin were similar.

Sumlin is like the definition of insanity in trying exactly what we are currently mad about and expecting a different result.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Michigan recruits itself. It says that RR never hired West Coast recruiters....only old east coast and Midwest guys who were lazy and unable to evaluate talent. Then he saw that he slept on recruiting and was too far behind the 8 ball to do much.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Sumlin inherited Manziel and struggled without him. People are mad about "settling for mediocrity" with RR and want a guy who went 8-5, 8-5, 8-5 and 7-5 with a 15-16 conference record without Manziel. Damn.

So if RR can recruit at Michigan but not UA doesn't that say how hard it is to recruit to UA for anyone?[/quote]

Yes, it is an indication that recruiting success at a school with more recruiting power might not transfer to Arizona. That's pretty much my argument for why Sumlin's recruiting rankings (similar to RR) do not guarantee any recruiting upgrade if he came here. Michigan and Texas A&M have more resources than we do and RR and Sumlin were similar.

Sumlin is like the definition of insanity in trying exactly what we are currently mad about and expecting a different result.[/quote]

He put more guys in the NFL at Houston than RR has at Arizona. It is not nearly the same thing.

Sumlin has something. Yes Texas A&M is better than Arizona and has more resources by a lot, but he has it. Upgrade day one.

I am pumped this is a possibility. You better not be lying Chief.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Can we reneg on RR oil money, throw some of that at his buyout and the rest at major applewhite/Mike wells?

Color me not impressed with sumlin for the reasons spiff mentions post manziel
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Sumlim would move the needle on tickets, I'll give him that. And I would be custiously optimistic despite not being excited. That's more then when I get thinking of RR for another season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: So basically trading RichRod for a guy who got canned in a less pressurized P5 school more recently. Awesome.

Michigan recruits itself. It says that RR never hired West Coast recruiters....only old east coast and Midwest guys who were lazy and unable to evaluate talent. Then he saw that he slept on recruiting and was too far behind the 8 ball to do much.
Texas A&M is in the middle of one of the top 3 recruiting states nationally and invested more than 100 mil into a facilities upgrade during Sumlin's tenure. Sumlin inherited a Heisman winner he could sell. Texas A&M paid Sumlin an insane buyout and then dropped 75 million on a new coach.

Yeah, but Michigan recruits itself. Texas A&M needed a miracle worker with the scarce resources they have...

Dude, you think anyone would be an upgrade over RR. It's ok to say it.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Spiffy....Texas A&M has money from attendance and rich oil business men but it ain’t a storied program. They play in the toughest division and the toughest conference in the country. Texas is over saturated and over recruited. Most recruits in Texas go to the schools that Mommy and Daddy root for. You often see Aggie coaches in Phoenix and California. That program hasn’t won shit. Not in the Big 12 or the SEC. Sumlin did good there but because he’s black (see Charlie Strong) he was given a tight leash. Black coaches don’t survive well in Texas. He overcame all that and recruited like a boss, stayed competitive, and developed his players well enough to go to the NFL. Rich Rod ain’t even close to Sumlin in any aspect.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sumlin also hires assistants well. He built UH. Houston is 22nd in wins in CFB in the last 10 years. He recruited like a boss at Houston and Texas A&M. He has strong Cali, Arizona, and Texas ties. He can walk on any campus in SoCal and coaches and kids would beg to talk to him.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Inside the numbers for Sumlin, isn't all that impressive and all things being relative, pretty pedestrian beyond his 1st two years with Manziel.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg ... ive-seemed" target="_blank

That being said, don't think AZ is a serious option for Sumlin. Wil be much better options next year and can sit a year, refresh and enjoy a boatload of cash.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The right price from our point of view or his?

Sign me up btw if you can get a booster to pay RR off. He may only be around for a few years, but if he can prove that you can effectively recruit at Arizona (if any one can it'd be him) then sign me up for Sumlin as a rental. Him proving it's a doable endeavor opens the door for very good candidates in the future.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Is Les Miles done with coaching? I'd give him a call if he expresses any interest through back channels.

Kevin Sumlin was able to recruit at a place like A&M but would be hamstrung at UA. He also runs an air raid offense that relies on the right QB and plus receivers. Kenny Hill, Kyler Murray, and Kyle Allen all transferred because of his mismanagement and stubbornness at QB.

Matt Wells coached two good Utah State teams but is 15-29 in the past three years. I'll pass.

Major Applewhite went 7-5 in his first year at Houston and we're ready to poach him? He has roots in TX which should help with recruiting, but he has baggage (infidelity, relationship with student athletic trainer).

Lane Kiffin probably wouldn't be interested and would quickly leave for greener pastures if he did come here. He can definitely coach and recruit, though.

Les Miles or someone not named is my choice.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Les Miles runs a stale offense and was the reason LSU never recruited QBs well. The game has passed old man Miles by.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

With Herm the Worm and his band of Geriatrics at ASU, Sumlin could walk into Phoenix and take his pick of the litter. They’d call him the dog catcher.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

So, Sumlin recruited like a boss at Houston before Houston was cool but couldn’t recruit at Arizona??? GTFO
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

chiefzona wrote:Les Miles runs a stale offense and was the reason LSU never recruited QBs well. The game has passed old man Miles by.
He could hire a young, dynamic OC and QB coach to work with Tate and help recruit the next QB.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

chiefzona wrote:So, Sumlin recruited like a boss at Houston before Houston was cool but couldn’t recruit at Arizona??? GTFO
Sumlin's classes at Houston look a lot like RR's. He got guys who fit his system but none were more than three stars. Art Briles laid the groundwork and left him Case Keenum after Kevin Kolb.
Last edited by TatetheGreat on Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

TatetheGreat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:So, Sumlin recruited like a boss at Houston before Houston was cool but couldn’t recruit at Arizona??? GTFO
Sumlin's classes at Houston look a lot like RR's. He got guys who fit his system but none were more than three stars. He inherited Kevin Kolb and had Case Keenum for five seasons.

3 stars at Houston. Before Houston was cool. Rich Rod has to beg 3 stars to play for him at Arizona. Come on now.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

chiefzona wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
Sumlin's classes at Houston look a lot like RR's. He got guys who fit his system but none were more than three stars. He inherited Kevin Kolb and had Case Keenum for five seasons.

3 stars at Houston. Before Houston was cool. Rich Rod has to beg 3 stars to play for him at Arizona. Come on now.
Art Briles left the program in good shape, coming off 10-4 and 8-4 seasons.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

You should check out an A&M forum if you want to know how they felt about Sumlin prior to getting canned. The threads look a lot like this one.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

TatetheGreat wrote:You should check out an A&M forum if you want to know how they felt about Sumlin prior to getting canned. The threads look a lot like this one.

Texas A&M fans have zero credibility and think they have a 5 Star program. They haven’t won shit since 1939. It’s a bunch of white kids who think they deserve 10 wins a year. Not when you play in the same division as Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Miss State. They’ll see when Fisher comes to town.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

chiefzona wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:You should check out an A&M forum if you want to know how they felt about Sumlin prior to getting canned. The threads look a lot like this one.

Texas A&M fans have zero credibility and think they have a 5 Star program. They haven’t won shit since 1939. It’s a bunch of white kids who think they deserve 10 wins a year. Not when you play in the same division as Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Miss State. They’ll see when Fisher comes to town.
Yet they pulled Jimbo from Florida State. You talk a big game but know very little.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Chief, are you suggesting that Heeke wants Matt Wells?

Texas A&M sure did hit Arizona hard in recruiting. My biggest question with Sumlin is what was with the QB situation? Seemed like none of them wanted to stay long. Sumlin would get more seats filled and I wouldn't hate it at the moment.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:Spiffy....Texas A&M has money from attendance and rich oil business men but it ain’t a storied program. They play in the toughest division and the toughest conference in the country. Texas is over saturated and over recruited. Most recruits in Texas go to the schools that Mommy and Daddy root for. You often see Aggie coaches in Phoenix and California. That program hasn’t won shit. Not in the Big 12 or the SEC. Sumlin did good there but because he’s black (see Charlie Strong) he was given a tight leash. Black coaches don’t survive well in Texas. He overcame all that and recruited like a boss, stayed competitive, and developed his players well enough to go to the NFL. Rich Rod ain’t even close to Sumlin in any aspect.
If you made the same excuses for RR that you do for Sumlin, we wouldn't be talking about a change.

A&M has more money, facilities and in state talent than Michigan. Michigan has to pull most nearby talent from Ohio, where OSU dominates. Michigan has a better history, but not by a huge amount. Michigan has one shared national title in the last 70 years.

It is super funny to me that you argue that Sumlin got canned because of race and not because he produced 4 straight 7 and 8 win seasons while never winning more than 50% of conference games in any year. That is right around the exact performance you want RR fired for.

Last 4 years:

Sumlin, 31-20, 15-16 in conference.

RR, 27-25, 16-20.

Take out the 3-9 season and it's:

Sumlin, 24-15, 11-12 in conference.

RR, 24-16, 15-12 in conference.

It's close to looking into a mirror. You want to fire a guy for mediocre job performance so we can hire a guy who was just fired for mediocre job performance.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Other than chief, has anyone in the know heard any serious discussion of Heeke letting RR go this offseason?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion