Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

OSUCat

Re: Coach Rod

Post by OSUCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Other than chief, has anyone in the know heard any serious discussion of Heeke letting RR go this offseason?
I have not, but at the same time have we heard anything from Heeke about RR being the right guy? Usually a coach in RR situation would at least get some verbal backing from the AD.

But, I'm grasping a straws as I really don't want RR coaching Arizona anymore.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

BTW, Bret Bielema buy-out is being reported at $15.4 million......Ridiculous.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TatetheGreat wrote:You should check out an A&M forum if you want to know how they felt about Sumlin prior to getting canned. The threads look a lot like this one.
It was basically:

"We're paying this guy 5 million base salary plus incentives to win OOC games vs doormats and then hover around .500 in conference."

They don't look exactly like our threads. We were paying less.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Other than chief, has anyone in the know heard any serious discussion of Heeke letting RR go this offseason?
My guy in the AD is not yet in the Heeke circle of trust unfortunately and nothing has filtered down through the usual grapevine. So I’ve got nothing.

I have to think though that what happened in Tempe gives Heeke a lot of leeway on how to handle any potential coaching change. RR did worse than Graham this season and overall, and all he has to do is not hire some geriatric who doesn’t know what our mascot is.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

TatetheGreat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:You should check out an A&M forum if you want to know how they felt about Sumlin prior to getting canned. The threads look a lot like this one.

Texas A&M fans have zero credibility and think they have a 5 Star program. They haven’t won shit since 1939. It’s a bunch of white kids who think they deserve 10 wins a year. Not when you play in the same division as Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Miss State. They’ll see when Fisher comes to town.
Yet they pulled Jimbo from Florida State. You talk a big game but know very little.
They couldn’t stand Jimbo in Tallahassee. He went 5-6 this season and had zero depth at QB during year 8 at freaking FSU. That’s pathetic. Texas A&M has money with high expectations and sit in the ass of the SEC. Not a legit situation. The FSU job is so watered down that Willie got it. He ain’t even a top 20 coach. Get with it Tate.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Anyone with insight as to why Clancy Pendergast hasn't been given an opportunity?
AZ native born in Phoenix, Wildcat Alum with tons of experience and generally has had very Solid defenses. Seem to remember some awfully stout defenses at Cal.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It was basically:

"We're paying this guy 5 million base salary plus incentives to win OOC games vs doormats and then hover around .500 in conference."

I didn't say they looked exactly the same, but there's enough similarity to doubt Sumlin.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:Anyone with insight as to why Clancy Pendergast hasn't been given an opportunity?
AZ native born in Phoenix, Wildcat Alum with tons of experience and generally has had very Solid defenses. Seem to remember some awfully stout defenses at Cal.

He’s not HC material. Especially at a Power 5 school.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ramcat wrote:Anyone with insight as to why Clancy Pendergast hasn't been given an opportunity?
See Jon Embree at Colorado for why you don't hire underqualified alums.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Ah...Sure would like to get some Alumni blood here. Any thought that Yates could go and have Cecil take over, maybe groomed for HC in year or two. Get Salave'a back, get some one to run a pro style offense, more of a Stanford model.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TatetheGreat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It was basically:

I didn't say they looked exactly the same, but there's enough similarity to doubt Sumlin.
I completely agree with you and was just being sarcastic about the only difference being how much more A&M was paying Sumlin. A&M fans were mad that Sumlin had settled around .500 in conference and sliding into a midlevel bowl with cupcake OOC games. It was basically the "settling for mediocrity" argument people here advanced about RR.

Here's one to peruse:

https://www.secrant.com/rant/texas-a-m- ... /73047761/" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:Ah...Sure would like to get some Alumni blood here. Any thought that Yates could go and have Cecil take over, maybe groomed for HC in year or two. Get Salave'a back, get some one to run a pro style offense, more of a Stanford model.

Cecil has had too many concussions. Not HC material.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It was basically:

I completely agree with you and was just being sarcastic about the only difference being how much more A&M was paying Sumlin. A&M fans were mad that Sumlin had settled around .500 in conference and sliding into a midlevel bowl with cupcake OOC games. It was basically the "settling for mediocrity" argument people here advanced about RR.

Here's one to peruse:

https://www.secrant.com/rant/texas-a-m- ... /73047761/" target="_blank
If there are fans and pundits that are still cool with Rich Rod.....Sumlin is a low risk high reward. He’s a better evaluator than RR. Better recruiter than RR. He develops and recruits NFL players. He’s a player’s coach and RR is not. He’s a better on field coach than RR. He values defense....we all know that RR believes a good defense is the best offense. Wins all around for Sumlin.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

chiefzona wrote:
ramcat wrote:Ah...Sure would like to get some Alumni blood here. Any thought that Yates could go and have Cecil take over, maybe groomed for HC in year or two. Get Salave'a back, get some one to run a pro style offense, more of a Stanford model.

D coordinator? Read some about Drevno with Michigan, strong So Cal ties, seems ripe for a chance and could bring in a Stanford pro style model.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

D coordinator? Read some about Drevno with Michigan, strong So Cal ties, seems ripe for a chance and could bring in a Stanford pro style model.

Cecil is only good for a position coach. He’d be better than Addae but so would you.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Ha!! Ok, couple more from Cal and Stanford Beau Baldwin and Lance Anderson. Both seem primed to take a step and really want a pro style model, with strong defense to be next phase of AZ Wildcat football!!
Last edited by ramcat on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

chiefzona wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Texas A&M fans have zero credibility and think they have a 5 Star program. They haven’t won shit since 1939. It’s a bunch of white kids who think they deserve 10 wins a year. Not when you play in the same division as Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Miss State. They’ll see when Fisher comes to town.
Yet they pulled Jimbo from Florida State. You talk a big game but know very little.
They couldn’t stand Jimbo in Tallahassee. He went 5-6 this season and had zero depth at QB during year 8 at freaking FSU. That’s pathetic. Texas A&M has money with high expectations and sit in the ass of the SEC. Not a legit situation. The FSU job is so watered down that Willie got it. He ain’t even a top 20 coach. Get with it Tate.
We are fucked if FSU and Oregon are watered down jobs. We might as well hire Cecil or Pendergast if that's the case.

Also, Jimbo wasn't run out of town. He compiled a 83-23 record, including a 14-0 championship season and left because he was offered by a SEC school with bottomless pockets. Sumlin had a stable of elite QBs and they all transferred. College Station couldn't stand Sumlin, hence his firing. But A&M must be really dumb to give Jimbo all that money after ONE 5-6 season without his starting QB.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

TatetheGreat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

We are fucked if FSU and Oregon are watered down jobs. We might as well hire Cecil or Pendergast if that's the case.

Also, Jimbo wasn't run out of town. He compiled a 83-23 record, including a 14-0 championship season and left because he was offered by a SEC school with bottomless pockets. Sumlin had a stable of elite QBs and they all transferred. College Station couldn't stand Sumlin, hence his firing. But A&M must be really dumb to give Jimbo all that money after ONE 5-6 season without his starting QB.
They are watered down now. Oregon took the stupid route and FSU took the well he recruited well at USF route so he can do that here. Did Sumlin go 5-6 his last year at A&M? No. Jimbo is all hype and the good ol’ boys in College Station wanted a white boy back in there. Yee Haw Aggies!!!!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

As a program and school I dislike tamu
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Like what I've seen and read about Baldwin. Hard not to like his resume and been west coast for awhile now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buildi ... au-baldwin" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:Like what I've seen and read about Baldwin. Hard not to like his resume and been west coast for awhile now.

I’m a huge Beau Baldwin fan but he isn’t ready for a big gig yet.
prh

Post by prh »

Jimbo wanted a halfway decent reason to get out of Tallahassee, and the right one came along. And comparing conference records that involve P12 South and SEC West is just as worthless as comparing Lane Kiffin at FAU and Kiffin at USC.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

chiefzona wrote:
ramcat wrote:Like what I've seen and read about Baldwin. Hard not to like his resume and been west coast for awhile now.

I’m a huge Beau Baldwin fan but he isn’t ready for a big gig yet.
Sounded like he was awfully close for OR ST. Been head coach and won Nat Championship. Purportedly very responsible for Cals better than expected year, with the offense.
If I knew Sumlin would stay 5 to 6, I'd be down. Just think this would be 2 to 3 tops and then back to SEC. Could see him staying at Oregon for 5 to 6 but not here.
Last edited by ramcat on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

The way the PAC is playing in these bowl games can't help established coaches think it's viable for Nat Championship.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ramcat wrote:The way the PAC is playing in these bowl games can't help established coaches think it's viable for Nat Championship.
I’d be psyched at how shitty this conference is. Put together a couple good recruiting classes on defense and dominate your way to an undefeated season in year 3.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
jimson

Post by jimson »

Here's the thing. I know people too. Some that have been involved with UA athletics longer than probably anyone here. They know Cecil and they think he sure as hell is HC material and right now. They also think it's a lock that he would bring Ricky Hunley in as almost a CO-HC, and that they would crush it recruiting in California.

Everyone has an opinion, but I think that package would fire up the faithful one hell of a lot more than Kevin Sumlin.

As I've said before, that is the only "Fire RR" scenario that I would support this off season.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

jimson wrote:
Here's the thing. I know people too. Some that have been involved with UA athletics longer than probably anyone here. They know Cecil and they think he sure as hell is HC material and right now. They also think it's a lock that he would bring Ricky Hunley in as almost a CO-HC, and that they would crush it recruiting in California.

Everyone has an opinion, but I think that package would fire up the faithful one hell of a lot more than Kevin Sumlin.

As I've said before, that is the only "Fire RR" scenario that I would support this off season.
I like Chuck and all, but anyone who thinks the's HC material at the P5 level has serious homer glasses on. I'm also not sure what Ricky Hunley provides from a standpoint that we'd want him in such a prominent role on our coaching staff outside of the whole OMG he's an alum angle.
jimson

Post by jimson »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I like Chuck and all, but anyone who thinks the's HC material at the P5 level has serious homer glasses on. I'm also not sure what Ricky Hunley provides from a standpoint that we'd want him in such a prominent role on our coaching staff outside of the whole OMG he's an alum angle.
All I know is what Iv'e heard. They are veteran coaches and know how programs work.
What they might provide is an NFL connection, California background, and most of all passion.
One of the first things that happened when Cecil came on board is Hunley came down and visited. I think it helps when someone really, really, wants to be here.

A better CEO model than they are attempting in Tempe IMO.

No matter who you get it's a risk of failure.

I realize few agree, but that would be my top choice for the future, as opposed to other unknowns and known career rehabs.
Last edited by jimson on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

jimson wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
All I know is what Iv'e heard. They are veteran coaches and know how programs work.
What they might provide is an NFL connection, California background, and most of all passion.

I realize few agree, but that would be my top choice for the future, as opposed to other unknowns and known career rehabs.
I don’t think top level recruits really care about whether someone is an alum of the school they coach or played in the NFL decades ago. They are looking for playing time, visibility, and a proven track record of getting similar talents to the NFL.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

jimson wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Well if we're comparing ourselves to the catastrophe that just took place up in Tempe then we're not striving for much jim.

I'm all for a qualified Arizona alum as the coach of our football team. I'm just personally of the belief that there is currently no qualified Arizona alum out there right now to be the head coach of the University of Arizona football team and if we go the route of hiring an alum for the sake of hiring an alum it'll go over the same way as Jon Embree did at Colorado. I'm a fan of Chuck and would love to have him as a coach on this staff with the possibility of him being groomed to take over in the future, but that's about it for me.
jimson

Post by jimson »

ChooChooCat wrote:
jimson wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Well if we're comparing ourselves to the catastrophe that just took place up in Tempe then we're not striving for much jim.

I'm all for a qualified Arizona alum as the coach of our football team. I'm just personally of the belief that there is currently no qualified Arizona alum out there right now to be the head coach of the University of Arizona football team and if we go the route of hiring an alum for the sake of hiring an alum it'll go over the same way as Jon Embree did at Colorado. I'm a fan of Chuck and would love to have him as a coach on this staff with the possibility of him being groomed to take over in the future, but that's about it for me.
Oh yeah, I know it's a small camp I'm in, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I Know there are Embree's but there are also Beamer's, Gundy's and Spurrier's. I'm not sure it's critical to have once been an HC at some little school somewhere to be one at a bigger school.
Last edited by jimson on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

In college football, you really need to only recruit 5 positions that are the most absolute critical to your success of whether as a coach you'll be canned or not. It's why Saban, Harbaugh, Meyer, Dabo are at the top of college football and stay there consistently, because they are getting those 5 impossible to get positions filled, with equivalent backups in the cupboard for injury and early graduation. You just have to be an elite enough program to get the top 50 or so kids who come out of high school every year. It's your 4 defensive lineman and quartback. And even the elite coaches have trouble matching that up at the same time, but when you do, you're golden (Alabama with McCarron, who was functional, Clemson with Watson, who was great).

You can dominate a college football game with 4 huge athletic defensive lineman (see Alabama). It's the key to Harbaugh and Meyer's success too, if anything they get monsters on the dline. You can recruit O line, linebacks, receivers, corners, safeties and coach 'em up...and so can everyone else. But you can't keep up consistently if you aren't getting those monster defensive lineman. Everybody else is pretty much fighting for scraps, hoping for a good year here and there or an exceptional quarterback for a few years. Chip Kelly at Oregon came close trying to crack the code, and almost accomplished a natty, by realizing he was so remotely located he'd never be able to stock his d-line with elite size consistently, so he went with new formations & blinding speed to overwhelm just about everyone...but Alabama.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
See Jon Embree at Colorado for why you don't hire underqualified alums.
Not saying this article provides absolute credibility to Pendergast HC consideration but not sure it's a fair comparison to Embre and Colorado. Mentions him as potentials at HC at both college and NFL level.

Perhaps have Chuck at D coordinator.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndicatio ... t.amp.html" target="_blank
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Has Clancey recovered from letting the steelers run the same play twice in a row to beat the Cardinals?
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Postmaster wrote:Has Clancey recovered from letting the steelers run the same play twice in a row to beat the Cardinals?
Clancy let the Steelers run the same play? LMAO!!

Steelers were held to less than 300 yds, below season avg.. If it weren't for costly Cardinal turnovers, see Warner pick, and personal foul penalties, Cardinals win going away.

Yeah, that play succeeded due to wrong defense being called, ok got it. FFS.

Great execution by Rothlisberger, and Holmes was my recollection. Cornerbacks are occasionally asked to make plays, you know, deflect passes. There is an actual Stat associated with cb's, you may have heard of it, PD or pass defended.

Questionable as to whether it actually was a catch.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcent ... p/79479602" target="_blank

Took Cal and USC to Number 1 rated conference defenses in multiple years, when prior to his arrival, they were ranked in lower 3rd.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.conque ... -explained" target="_blank

Ohio St held to 200 yards below season avg. Shutout in 2nd half, 14 pts below season avg. TO'S by USC/Darnold led to 21pts of total.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/c ... lay-helton" target="_blank

https://www.google.com/amp/s/reignoftro ... -duds/amp/" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Cecil and Hunley would make one big disaster. Most of the team had to look up Cecil after he was announced to find out who he was. Cecil and Hunley have zero recruiting connections and no one knows who they are for the exception of diehard Arizona fans. Go into the Zona Zoo and ask the 18-22 year olds who Chuck Cecil is. 4 out of 100 will know who he is. They are both position coaches only. To think otherwise is foolish and Homerist.
jimson

Post by jimson »

chiefzona wrote:Cecil and Hunley would make one big disaster. Most of the team had to look up Cecil after he was announced to find out who he was. Cecil and Hunley have zero recruiting connections and no one knows who they are for the exception of diehard Arizona fans. Go into the Zona Zoo and ask the 18-22 year olds who Chuck Cecil is. 4 out of 100 will know who he is. They are both position coaches only. To think otherwise is foolish and Homerist.
Yet, I would pick them over anyone you would recommend, because I know the pedigree of people I talk to. All I know about you is that you think you are of enough importance that people come here to plagiarize you, And that somehow you may be some quasi agent who represents some HS kids or something.

Seriously, what the hell is your background that anyone should give you any credence?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

jimson wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Cecil and Hunley would make one big disaster. Most of the team had to look up Cecil after he was announced to find out who he was. Cecil and Hunley have zero recruiting connections and no one knows who they are for the exception of diehard Arizona fans. Go into the Zona Zoo and ask the 18-22 year olds who Chuck Cecil is. 4 out of 100 will know who he is. They are both position coaches only. To think otherwise is foolish and Homerist.
Yet, I would pick them over anyone you would recommend, because I know the pedigree of people I talk to. All I know about you is that you think you are of enough importance that people come here to plagiarize you, And that somehow you may be some quasi agent who represents some HS kids or something.

Seriously, what the hell is your background that anyone should give you any credence?
If Heeke hired Hunley or Cecil as HC I would demand Heeke be fired as soon as possible
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Every time I see this thread bumped I'm expecting that RR has been fired.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
jimson wrote:

If Heeke hired Hunley or Cecil as HC I would demand Heeke be fired as soon as possible
Hunley and Cecil are lifelong position coaches for a reason. Cecil had one year as a DC, and was a disaster.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Titans head coach Jeff Fisher, so not sure Cecil had total say on defense and yes defense under performed to say the least but there were lots of injuries and little, to no secondary depth. Opponents exploited the secondary issues with far and away most of damage done thru the air. Below article sites very questionable front office, decisions on personnel. Team finished 8-8.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.musicc ... ans-roster" target="_blank
ironj01

Post by ironj01 »

azgreg wrote:Every time I see this thread bumped I'm expecting that RR has been fired.
Damn me too
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Definitely ain't getting fired before October so
jimson

Post by jimson »

PHXCATS wrote:
Well I brought you and chief together on something. My work here is done.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Merkin wrote:
Hunley and Cecil are lifelong position coaches for a reason. Cecil had one year as a DC, and was a disaster.
Hunley has been a DC and an associate HC.

People I know who have been involved in UA athletics for decades, say that Cecil is brilliant, and fully capable.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I am as dyed in the wool as another other cat fan here, but Cecil and Hunley don't really excite me. But I have not connections, just my opinion.
TheBuffet

Post by TheBuffet »

Sorry, the place to test unproven Head Coaches is not the P5 level.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheBuffet wrote:Sorry, the place to test unproven Head Coaches is not the P5 level.
I agree, look at the Stoops' failure.

I realize it's a much different sport in all aspects, but use the UA basketball model. Hire a successful head coach at a smaller school who still has the fire. No coach that has ever been fired as HC.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Chip kelly did pretty well.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ramcat wrote:Chip kelly did pretty well.

How so? He is 0-0 at UCLA.