Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: Coach Rod

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
ramcat wrote:Chip kelly did pretty well.

How so? He is 0-0 at UCLA.

I think he meant as an assistant with no previous head coaching experience at Oregon.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

I realize Kelly is more the exception and proved himself for one year as a p5 offensive coordinator, just saying...

I
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thank you, I stand corrected!
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

No worries! Kirby Smart looking pretty good too, though was AHC like Stoops.
Cecil and Ricky are not Kelly and Smart though...
Again, if bringing in an alum, I think Pendergast is most qualified with perhaps Chuck as D coordinator likely implementing much of Pendergast's system.

Not saying necessarily this should happen, just that if you went the route of alums on football staff, this is most viable.
No HC experience but some pretty high quality DC work over many years at both NFL and P5 level from Clancy.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
TheBuffet wrote:Sorry, the place to test unproven Head Coaches is not the P5 level.
I agree, look at the Stoops' failure.

I realize it's a much different sport in all aspects, but use the UA basketball model. Hire a successful head coach at a smaller school who still has the fire. No coach that has ever been fired as HC.
Yeah Stoops took us to a Holiday and Alamo bowl and was one play away in three games from taking us to the rose bowl. Huge failure. Get real.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:
TheBuffet wrote:Sorry, the place to test unproven Head Coaches is not the P5 level.
I agree, look at the Stoops' failure.

I realize it's a much different sport in all aspects, but use the UA basketball model. Hire a successful head coach at a smaller school who still has the fire. No coach that has ever been fired as HC.
Yeah Stoops took us to a Holiday and Alamo bowl and was one play away in three games from taking us to the rose bowl. Huge failure. Get real.
And that’s why Stoops remains our coach to this day. I look forward to the statue unveiling...

Wait, sorry. I’m just getting word he was fired some years ago. My bad.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:Yeah Stoops took us to a Holiday and Alamo bowl and was one play away in three games from taking us to the rose bowl. Huge failure. Get real.
Three bowls in 7+ seasons in an era when over half the teams go to bowls plus he was 27-38 in conference and getting worse. Horrible coach and recruiter.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Yeah Stoops took us to a Holiday and Alamo bowl and was one play away in three games from taking us to the rose bowl. Huge failure. Get real.
Do you remember that Holiday bowl? 33-0 loss. Only shutout in Holiday bowl history, UA had 6 first downs and 109 total yards on offense.

Alamo Bowl was a 36-10 loss.

Stoops was such a success as HC he never had another HC opportunity, and remains a co-DC.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote: Yeah Stoops took us to a Holiday and Alamo bowl and was one play away in three games from taking us to the rose bowl. Huge failure. Get real.
Do you remember that Holiday bowl? 33-0 loss. Only shutout in Holiday bowl history, UA had 6 first downs and 109 total yards on offense.

Alamo Bowl was a 36-10 loss.

Stoops was such a success as HC he never had another HC opportunity, and remains a co-DC.
Yes I was at both games.

Stoops wasn't great but not a failure. And left the program 100 times better than when arrived.

I don't think you realize how much behind U of A starts with recruits and coaches in football compared to a lot of other schools and it was way worse when Stoops was the coach than now.

I will not say he was great but he did good here. Failure is way too strong
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Yeah Stoops took us to a Holiday and Alamo bowl and was one play away in three games from taking us to the rose bowl. Huge failure. Get real.
Three bowls in 7+ seasons in an era when over half the teams go to bowls plus he was 27-38 in conference and getting worse. Horrible coach and recruiter.
It was time to fire him. But at least I personally believe it is way too harsh to call his era a failure
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Stoops had some brief moments but seemed to always fall short.
Do believe he's been HC or AHC for like 20 yrs now though. Of course largely that's been working with his brother, Ha!!
Last edited by ramcat on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Speaking of Stoops:
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

And......his D gives up 24 in a row.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

ramcat wrote:
Postmaster wrote:Has Clancey recovered from letting the steelers run the same play twice in a row to beat the Cardinals?
Clancy let the Steelers run the same play? LMAO!!

Steelers were held to less than 300 yds, below season avg.. If it weren't for costly Cardinal turnovers, see Warner pick, and personal foul penalties, Cardinals win going away.

Yeah, that play succeeded due to wrong defense being called, ok got it. FFS.

Great execution by Rothlisberger, and Holmes was my recollection. Cornerbacks are occasionally asked to make plays, you know, deflect passes. There is an actual Stat associated with cb's, you may have heard of it, PD or pass defended.

Questionable as to whether it actually was a

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcent ... p/79479602" target="_blank

Took Cal and USC to Number 1 rated conference defenses in multiple years, when prior to his arrival, they were ranked in lower 3rd.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.conque ... -explained" target="_blank

Ohio St held to 200 yards below season avg. Shutout in 2nd half, 14 pts below season avg. TO'S by USC/Darnold led to 21pts of total.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/c ... lay-helton" target="_blank

https://www.google.com/amp/s/reignoftro ... -duds/amp/" target="_blank

Well the Cardinals did fire him a week later.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Well ok then, I'm now convinced with a Cardinal and Ken Wisenhunt firing, lol!!

Hired within a week by KC.

Cardinals regressed dramatically next year with defense being near the bottom of the league. Record went to 5-11. Def rank went from 14 to 30. KC defense holding Cardinals to 13 pts in KC win.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... d/2010.htm" target="_blank

KC defense subsequently went from a rank of 29 in 2009 to 11 in 2010, so that looked like a pretty Stupid decision a year later.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... n/2010.htm" target="_blank
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Warner left after that Super Bowl also.

Are you advocating for C P as a HC after next year, or bringing him here to replace current DC?
AZ defense seems to be going in right direction but they have had a lot of coaching issues the last few years.
They really need to figure out how to get pressure with 4 guys.

I doubt we could pull him from usc for a lateral job but you never know what will happen with coaches.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azgreg wrote:
FFS... please.

Stoops was not a great coach, but what he inherited was so much worse than what RR did it is not even close - yet that amassed very similar conference records... and had RR played anything even resembling a respectable OOC schedule their overal records would be comparable as well.

Not to mention that Stoops was paid nowhere near as much as RR has, even in a relative basis.

Stooos may not be quite as good a coach (they both are shitty), but he was an infinitely better recruiter (thay’s a REALLY low bar). And his track record bears that out.

As for Merkin’s comment... If Stoops were half the snake-oil salesman that RR was (and he wanted a head coaching job, which I do not think he does) - he’d be at a Top 15 program right now.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Yeah, we sure don't want to go outside the box that has brought us so much success in the past 20 years.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

For those against hiring a coordinator or assistant with no head coaching experience, three of the four coaches in the playoff did not have previous head coaching experience before being hired. And the forth was Saban who had one year at Toledo before going to the NFL again and then being hired by Michigan State
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:For those against hiring a coordinator or assistant with no head coaching experience, three of the four coaches in the playoff did not have previous head coaching experience before being hired. And the forth was Saban who had one year at Toledo before going to the NFL again and then being hired by Michigan State
Come on man, you can’t tell me that assistants under Saban are of equivalent caliber to other non name brand assistants.

I mean sure, they are all assistants in name but the spectrum of post assistant success and achievement is vast.

It’s like PhD grad school. Sure they are all classified as grad students but if I’m hiring I’m going after the PhD out of a top school in the field, compared to some run of the mill university.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Postmaster wrote:Warner left after that Super Bowl also.

Are you advocating for C P as a HC after next year, or bringing him here to replace current DC?
AZ defense seems to be going in right direction but they have had a lot of coaching issues the last few years.
They really need to figure out how to get pressure with 4 guys.

I doubt we could pull him from usc for a lateral job but you never know what will happen with coaches.
No. As said earlier, if alumni were to be involved, as it's been topical with Chuck here, think Clancy is one of the more qualified to be brought in, to assemble a staff. Just spit balling.
Don't think for a minute he'd come here in lateral move from USC. Previous article posted from a couple years ago had some speculation at both collegiate level and NFL, of his being possible candidate for HC positions. That would be only way I believe he could be lured.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Main Event wrote:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

OKie dokie
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
In addition to his on the field performance, there is an allegation behind the scenes that led them last fall to hire an outside law firm to investigate Rodriguez for potential workplace misconduct, according to the people with knowledge of the probe. USA Today states Rodriguez cooperated with fully, but a former administrative assistant subsequently has threatened to file a lawsuit against him.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Now that we're miles behind everyone else who has already hired a coach... decision should've been made on November 26th.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Does this mean we can put his buyout toward hiring a better coach?
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote:Does this mean we can put his buyout toward hiring a better coach?
Yep first thing I thought is they found a reason to fire for cause

Wow. Just wow. Amazed at the turn this took and if we really are able to move on without the financial issues accompanying it.

EDIT: Claim was filed Thursday, day after the bowl game. Man it's hard to believe that's a coincidence.
Last edited by prh on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

"He will not survive this."
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:Does this mean we can put his buyout toward hiring a better coach?
Please oh please. I do hope that whatever the allegations see that no innocent people were harmed or scarred by anything, but if we can use this to dump RR and get a real coach...

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Wellp
3rdand25

Post by 3rdand25 »

This isn't any way to go out. I cringe thinking about the possibilities regarding the next "I'm a victim" book, demonizing the U of A. Can't think of any good titles
wilbur1997

Post by wilbur1997 »

3rdand25 wrote: Can't think of any good titles
Snowflakes in the Desert.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Boy, Byrne managed to get out just in time and dump everything on Heeke. The track coach, Book, and now this.
-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

3rdand25 wrote:This isn't any way to go out. I cringe thinking about the possibilities regarding the next "I'm a victim" book, demonizing the U of A. Can't think of any good titles
So the topic of sexual misconduct comes up and your first inclination is to blame the potential victim and smear them that they're looking for a book deal and money.

Shit like this is why we can't have nice things.

splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Aaaaaand the #MeToo profiteers are now coming home to roost. If the independent investigation showed no wrongdoing - and therefore no for-cause reason to fire RichRod - I don't see how this can hold water. No way the school was in any hurry to do him any favors. This kind of thing not only harms real victims but endangers the future of women working in athletics.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

He's talkin' about the Rich Rod book he wrote before he got hired here methinks.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

ASUHATER! wrote:
3rdand25 wrote:This isn't any way to go out. I cringe thinking about the possibilities regarding the next "I'm a victim" book, demonizing the U of A. Can't think of any good titles
So the topic of sexual misconduct comes up and your first inclination is to blame the potential victim and smear them that they're looking for a book deal and money.

When there was already money spent on an independent investigation that has said there was no wrongdoing, it's perfectly fine to question the alleged victim. I don't think that's an unreasonable line at all. I
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

splitsecond wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

When there was already money spent on an independent investigation that has said there was no wrongdoing, it's perfectly fine to question the alleged victim. I don't think that's an unreasonable line at all. I
That hasn't been reported anywhere that I've seen. The knee jerk blame the victim thing by men is so tiring.

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Woah!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
splitsecond wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

That hasn't been reported anywhere that I've seen. The knee jerk blame the victim thing by men is so tiring.
The original report on this said as much.
Beyond the on-field performance, however, the school also has been dealing with a troubling allegation behind the scenes that led school officials last fall to hire an outside law firm to investigate Rodriguez for potential workplace misconduct, according to the people with knowledge of the probe. Though no misconduct was determined by the probe, which Rodriguez cooperated with fully, a former administrative assistant subsequently has threatened to file a lawsuit against him.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 996856001/" target="_blank
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Would this mean fire with clause? Meaning no buyout?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Scheer saying sources are that RR has been fired.

https://twitter.com/JasonScheer/status/ ... twterm%5E0" target="_blank
Last edited by ramcat on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Waiting for Chief to come in and say "I knew 2 weeks ago."
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:
He's done.

All this boils down to is can Arizona fire him with cause. If it can fire him with cause it'll get the coach it wants, if they can't then they go to the next option.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

ASUHATER! wrote:
splitsecond wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Desert Swarm is saying that he was cleared by the investigation according to USA Today, that's all I have to go on. One would think if he wasn't cleard he would already have been canned so a search could start. Definitely not advocating for knee-jerk victim blaming, but knee-jerk blaming of the accused and ruining their lives without even questioning the facts is dangerous as well. It's like none of us lived through the Duke Lactrosse scandal.