Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BMalo

Re: Rich Rod

Post by BMalo »

Bob Stoop will go to florida. Mike can forever leave his toothpick behind.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

BMalo wrote:Bob Stoop will go to florida. Mike can forever leave his toothpick behind.
That will never happen. Oklahoma wouldn't allow it to happen.

Florida need to find someone that know how to run an Offense instead going after certain one that fit the bill.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Florida fans say he was interested before they hired muschump.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I dont think Stoops leaves OU but that is just a guess. I think Lester takes the Michigan job and Gundy goes to LSU. I think Florida goes hard after Mullen but misses.

Because of the musical chairs RR is going to get a long look and he may take that look if we don't show further committment (whatever that might be). Florida worries me but I think he has plans here that he wants to accomplish and when he does that will be the validation of his coaching career that he craves
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote:I dont think Stoops leaves OU but that is just a guess. I think Lester takes the Michigan job and Gundy goes to LSU. I think Florida goes hard after Mullen but misses.

Because of the musical shares RR is going to get a long look and he may take that look if we don't show further committment (whatever that might be). Florida worries me but I think he has plans here that he wants to accomplish and when he does that will be the validation of his coaching career that he craves
Les Miles isn't leaving the SEC or LSU regardless of what Michigan will do.
Gundy wont leave his OKie State team.
Mullen, Florida fan are delusional with him.
RR isn't leaving Pac 12 and Arizona after Three Season. He got the pieces in place to build a strong football program. Why leave all of that.
I don't remember Bob Stoop being Interested in Florida Job before they gave it to Muschamp.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

The most powerful thing I think we have in our favor is what DC already posted. I don't think RR leaves without Casteel and the rest of his staff and I don't think Florida wold accept Casteel and his staff.

Another thing, with the SEC commissioner retiring does Florida's AD, Foley, try to get that? If so, and if he does, would be interesting to see what Florida does with the hire regarding who does it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

You may be right. LSU is going to lose 4-5 games this year which is inconceivable in Baton Rouge. He is starting a lot of freshman and sophomores and has a great class coming in and should be top 5 next year. Still he is a Michigan man and might want to tackle rebuilding his alma matter and cementing his legacy.

I am one who thinks that if someone like Florida wants RR bad enough that they will take his 3-3-5 defense and coaches. Lets just hope thry leave our guy alone
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

http://gatorchatter.com/forum/main-spor ... been-fired

If anyone has the where-with-all to handle this and about an hour to kill, this is fun.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Byrne and RR to Florida?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ASUHATER! wrote:Byrne and RR to Florida?
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

RR will use this situation to get his players the 10k a year that Texas is going to give its athletes...if you want to compete with the big dogs it has to be an even playing field!
Salty

Post by Salty »

ASUHATER! wrote:Byrne and RR to Florida?
Zero chance.

Byrne won't poach his former school.

RR would not be greeted well at Florida, almost no support.

Byrne as an AD though... I could see that.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

You sound delusional
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

cordera89 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I dont think Stoops leaves OU but that is just a guess. I think Lester takes the Michigan job and Gundy goes to LSU. I think Florida goes hard after Mullen but misses.

Because of the musical shares RR is going to get a long look and he may take that look if we don't show further committment (whatever that might be). Florida worries me but I think he has plans here that he wants to accomplish and when he does that will be the validation of his coaching career that he craves
Les Miles isn't leaving the SEC or LSU regardless of what Michigan will do.
Gundy wont leave his OKie State team.
Mullen, Florida fan are delusional with him.
RR isn't leaving Pac 12 and Arizona after Three Season. He got the pieces in place to build a strong football program. Why leave all of that.
I don't remember Bob Stoop being Interested in Florida Job before they gave it to Muschamp.
Wrong on number one. If his kids have all graduated from HS then Michigan is in play. He signed a 7 year contract when Hoke was hired because his kids still had 7 years to finish. Now, does that mean that things have changed and his last kid says it's okay for Les to go to Mich? if yes, then he's gone. The only reason why Les didn't take the Mich job in the first place was because of his kids wanting to stay and finish HS where they are. Otherwise he and his wife were ready to go.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

I'd be perfectly fine with RR taking the Florida job, I mean, it's fricken Florida. There is zero shame in Arizona losing a football coach to UF, I'd argue it is a massive complement. Whether he takes the job with his daughter and son entrenched in Tucson, I don't know.

Replacing Byrne's ability to hire a football coach would probably be more difficult.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

If we learned anything from our own coach search a few years ago, it's that the person most talked about is probably not the one who gets the job. IMO.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:If we learned anything from our own coach search a few years ago, it's that the person most talked about is probably not the one who gets the job. IMO.
Depends on the AD. Some leak like a sieve and the guy mentioned as being #1 is actually #1. Others play things close the vest and any speculation is just that.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION AND MARATHON OIL CORPORATION ANNOUNCE WATCH LIST FOR COVETED PAUL “BEAR” BRYANT COACH OF THE YEAR HONOR

http://www.bryantawards.com/news-room/

HOUSTON (Oct. 24, 2014)– American Heart Association and The Paul Bear Bryant Awards’ Title Sponsor Marathon Oil Corporation today announced the watch list for the coveted Coach of the Year Award, which will be revealed at the 29th annual event on Jan. 14, 2015 in Houston. The coaches on the watch list for the 2014 Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year Award include (alphabetical order):
•Art Briles, Baylor University
•Mark Dantonio, Michigan State
•Jimbo Fisher, Florida State
•Huge Freeze, University of Mississippi
•Todd Graham, Arizona State
•Mark Helfrich, University of Oregon
•Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia University
•Doc Holliday, Marshall University
•Brian Kelly, University of Notre Dame
•Gus Malzahn, Auburn University
•Ruffin McNeill, East Carolina University
•Dan Mullen, Mississippi State
•Gary Patterson, Texas Christian
•Bo Pelini, University of Nebraska
•Mark Richt, University of Georgia
•Rich Rodriguez, University of Arizona
•Nick Saban, University of Alabama
•Bill Snyder, Kansas State University
•Bob Stoops, University of Oklahoma
•Kyle Whittingham, University of Utah
illcat

Post by illcat »

OK when is the fire RR thread gonna start. :lol: :lol:
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

If we find a way to let Rich Rod and Byrne leave, we deserve whatever happens. Which, it won't happen, so yeah. Rejoice.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Zona_Soccer10 wrote:If we find a way to let Rich Rod and Byrne leave, we deserve whatever happens. Which, it won't happen, so yeah. Rejoice.
That really isn't our choice to make. We can do all the right things and they still could leave, it could be for a new challenge.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Catintheheat wrote:
Zona_Soccer10 wrote:If we find a way to let Rich Rod and Byrne leave, we deserve whatever happens. Which, it won't happen, so yeah. Rejoice.
That really isn't our choice to make. We can do all the right things and they still could leave, it could be for a new challenge.
Is Arizona not enough of a challenge?
SDCAT23

Post by SDCAT23 »

As far as money is concerned if I were any coach and had a choice between AZ and a FL offer I would stay at AZ. The earnings potential is probably greater at FL but the money is also good at AZ, it would be a risk to give that up considering what the expectations would be at FL. Also someone back in the thread said his salary would be $5m if Rich were offered the FL job, I think that's unlikely unless AZ makes the CFP (though i hope AZ makes the playoffs).
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SDCAT23 wrote:As far as money is concerned if I were any coach and had a choice between AZ and a FL offer I would stay at AZ. The earnings potential is probably greater at FL but the money is also good at AZ, it would be a risk to give that up considering what the expectations would be at FL. Also someone back in the thread said his salary would be $5m if Rich were offered the FL job, I think that's unlikely unless AZ makes the CFP (though i hope AZ makes the playoffs).
I believe that Florida has no income tax while Arizona does. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

That being said, I don't think RR is going anywhere. His biggest beef at WVU was the AD's unwillingness to pony up money for his assistants and facilities because it seemed as though they had no real commitment to the future of the program. That's not an issue at Arizona.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SDCAT23

Post by SDCAT23 »

You're correct no state income tax in FL but there is in AZ. Though the highest income tax rates are low in AZ relative to the rest of the country and from what I understand real property taxes are very expensive in Florida
Chicat wrote:
SDCAT23 wrote:As far as money is concerned if I were any coach and had a choice between AZ and a FL offer I would stay at AZ. The earnings potential is probably greater at FL but the money is also good at AZ, it would be a risk to give that up considering what the expectations would be at FL. Also someone back in the thread said his salary would be $5m if Rich were offered the FL job, I think that's unlikely unless AZ makes the CFP (though i hope AZ makes the playoffs).
I believe that Florida has no income tax while Arizona does. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

That being said, I don't think RR is going anywhere. His biggest beef at WVU was the AD's unwillingness to pony up money for his assistants and facilities because it seemed as though they had no real commitment to the future of the program. That's not an issue at Arizona.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

In a way, I hope Florida contacts Rich Rod. Many have put Florida as a Top 7 HC job. Rich Rod has ties to Florida. Rich Rod has many ex-big booster friends (WVU) in or have strong presence in Florida. Many have speculated over the years Florida would be a place Rich Rod jumps for.

Don't think he's going anywhere. Think he's staying in Tucson. I think RR has gone out of his way to say he wants to be in Tucson (for now). Same with Greg Byrne. I don't see anything in RR's past that shows he's a HC jumper. He turned down Alabama. If you read up on his WVU exit, he didn't want to leave.

I don't think there's any credible hard fact that Florida has/wants to contact RR. All just speculation at this point from mainly bloggers and some in media. (I could be wrong about the hard sourced fact Florida considering RR. Someone can let me know). Playing the What if, get some clicks game.

What if Florida does contact Rich Rod and he turns them down? Does that turn into a positive and lessen rumors and fan concern for future years? Focus on football, decrease the distractions? He turned down Florida! He turned down a top 7 HC job!

Either way, RR has always in the past talked to School officials/AD before contemplating leaving. Whether to get something for the program or his assistants. Or just reassurance that the school is committed in progressing. So far with this season, think RR would put off a Florida call until end/after the season. Not sure Florida would want to wait.

Does it clear the path with some future recruits on Arizona program stability IF RR was contacted about Florida AND he turned them down?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

He turned down Alabama and then left for Michigan, so no, I do not believe it clears any paths.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am more concerned with the SEC opening and what GB might do and that impact on RR
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

From SB Nation Coach Rod as a bush for Halloween. Coach is the kid on the right.

He is the hedge on the right.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Puerco wrote:He turned down Alabama and then left for Michigan, so no, I do not believe it clears any paths.
He left for Michigan after WV didn't come through on the promises they made when he turned down Alabama.
SDCAT23 wrote:You're correct no state income tax in FL but there is in AZ. Though the highest income tax rates are low in AZ relative to the rest of the country and from what I understand real property taxes are very expensive in Florida
Chicat wrote:

Florida does have very high property taxes. A friend moved from Florida to Colorado, and during a discussion someone asked them if they regretted moving away from a state with no income tax. Answer - no. They were paying $8000 a year in property taxes; in CO between the property tax and income tax they were paying $1400.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ANGCatFan wrote:From SB Nation Coach Rod as a bush for Halloween. Coach is the kid on the right.

He is the hedge on the right.

If your front yard landscaping doubles as your Halloween costume, you might be a redneck.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Sports Illustrated with a Rich Rod story:

Thought this part was funny but also some high praise from a pretty successful coach who's coached some pretty good college players over the years:
Earlier this season, Rodriguez held a light practice: shirts, shorts and helmets. When the Wildcats have these light practices, he expects his players to dress exactly alike. Video monitors in the complex announce the required garments well in advance, so there are no excuses for being out of uniform. On this day, the staff had ordered the players to wear their navy shorts. Not the navy shorts with the red stripe down the side. The plain navy shorts. As he approached his quarterbacks, Rodriguez noticed starter Anu Solomon wore the shorts with the red stripe. This wasn’t like Solomon. He usually obeyed his coaches. Rodriguez prepared to make an example of the redshirt freshman, who to that point had done a fine job of leading by example. “I’m getting ready to jump on him,” Rodriguez said. “I said, ‘Anu, why don’t you have the same kind of shorts everybody else has?’”

Solomon explained why. A senior defender had misplaced his plain navy shorts, so Solomon lent the senior his pair. “I’ll just take the blame,” the quarterback said of his plan. After providing the explanation, Solomon braced for verbal impact. “I was prepared for it,” he said.

Rodriguez only said “OK.” Then he turned and walked way. This stunned Solomon, who didn’t know until Wednesday why Rodriguez chose not to yell at him. But Rodriguez couldn’t yell. He had to walk away to hide his smile. Solomon saw a teammate about to get in trouble and jumped in to save him. He didn’t have to do it, but he did anyway.

That, Rodriguez thought, is the kind of leader I want for my quarterback. “This guy has probably got more leadership than I have even seen,” Rodriguez remembered thinking.
http://www.si.com/college-football/2014 ... alkthrough
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

That is a cool lil anecdote. Thanks for sharing the link.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The Andy Staples Podcast: Rich Rodriguez on his mindset at Arizona

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014 ... -rodriguez
TUCSON, Ariz. -- Rich Rodriguez is very excited. Yes, he's pumped because his Arizona team is 6-1 heading into Saturday's matchup with UCLA in the Rose Bowl. But the even bigger deal is that the Dumb & Dumber sequel comes out next week. Rodriguez estimates he has seen the original 15 to 20 times, and he can recite basically the entire movie from memory. In fact, the line "So you're telling me there's a chance" has become the de facto motto of his coaching career.

In a podcast recorded this week, Rodriguez talked about pets' heads falling off, why it's fun to coach this Wildcats team, whether he feels vindicated for the way things went at Michigan and the most embarrassing Halloween costume he ever wore. Spoiler alert: He was a hedge. Photo evidence exists.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Dumb & Dumber sucks
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Sean Millers avg win pct after 4 years at AZ was .68. Millers win pct last year was .86.

Rich Rods avg win pct is at .65 right now. These things take time, I'm willing to wait it out. I don't think rich rod will reach the same level of dominance miller has but I do believe he can get us to a rose bowl.

This is my first legit post, be nice......please
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well done archery and join in more. For the talent level RR inherited I think his winning % is amazing but 8 of those have been lay ups. I think he needs to consistently get to 6-3 in the conference each year and then that will signal a mighty change and a job well done
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Decided to post in this thread:

Obviously running the ball very important in RichRod's scheme. Since his WV days, his seasons have ALL have been run more than pass attempts. Looks like that could change this season. Current run:pass ratio 46% run : 56% pass.

Last two of three games Arizona held to under 100 yards rushing. So I wanted to look this up:

Since WV days, Rich Rod teams have had 12 games that rushed less than 100 yards. Have lost them all:

0-12 rushing under 100 yds
Boston College - 76
VT - 33

Utah - 36
Illinois - 69
Mich St - 84

Mich St - 28
Wisc - 71
tOSU - 80

Miss St - 88 Gator Bowl

Ore - 89

USC - 77
UCLA 80

When including games his teams rushed under 150 yards in game, there's an additional 20 of those games. His team won 3 of those - (3-17). Overall in games rushing under 150 yards (3-29 record)

Since Rich Rod at Arizona, there have been 8 games the team rushed under 150 yards. Record is 1-7. The lone win came this year vs Cal (107 yds rushing)
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I think, while he's trying to win every damn game he can this year, that he's also playing Solomon with an eye towards the future. Hence the amount of pass attempts. He knows the team is good this year but that they've got a chance to do huge things the next two years. Solomon is gaining a ton of experience through all of this, all of the scenarios he's been run through, the things he's being asked to do. At the same time RR has never asked him to do too much and has pulled the reins in if he feels like Solomon's in a no-win situation (see the conservative play calling against UTSA late.)
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Decided to post in this thread:

Obviously running the ball very important in RichRod's scheme. Since his WV days, his seasons have ALL have been run more than pass attempts. Looks like that could change this season. Current run:pass ratio 46% run : 56% pass.

Last two of three games Arizona held to under 100 yards rushing. So I wanted to look this up:

Since WV days, Rich Rod teams have had 12 games that rushed less than 100 yards. Have lost them all:

0-12 rushing under 100 yds
Boston College - 76
VT - 33

Utah - 36
Illinois - 69
Mich St - 84

Mich St - 28
Wisc - 71
tOSU - 80

Miss St - 88 Gator Bowl

Ore - 89

USC - 77
UCLA 80

When including games his teams rushed under 150 yards in game, there's an additional 20 of those games. His team won 3 of those - (3-17). Overall in games rushing under 150 yards (3-29 record)

Since Rich Rod at Arizona, there have been 8 games the team rushed under 150 yards. Record is 1-7. The lone win came this year vs Cal (107 yds rushing)
Great stuff man, thanks for doing the research and posting this.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Think the Map graphics starting to get over-played, BUT thought these from SportsPickle were pretty funny:

http://www.sportspickle.com/2014/11/6-m ... all-season
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

This person seems to have posted a 2005 WVU- RichRod Offensive Playbook

It's kinda interesting. Especially the Team Rules and regulations, training rules and philosophies. It's old, don't think there's any top secret stuff.

https://jimlightsfootballblog.files.wor ... 4/11/4.pdf
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

That was awsome to read!
SDCAT23

Post by SDCAT23 »

One of the formations had a lead blocker.... where was that formation last week on 4th a goal from the 1 yard line?

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:This person seems to have posted a 2005 WVU- RichRod Offensive Playbook

It's kinda interesting. Especially the Team Rules and regulations, training rules and philosophies. It's old, don't think there's any top secret stuff.

https://jimlightsfootballblog.files.wor ... 4/11/4.pdf
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Lose Big --> Lose Close --> Win Close --> Win Big

We are obviously in the Win Close phase of the rebuild plan Bobby Bowden outlined for RR back in the day.

Is everyone ready for next year when Coach takes us to Win Big??
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:Lose Big --> Lose Close --> Win Close --> Win Big

We are obviously in the Win Close phase of the rebuild plan Bobby Bowden outlined for RR back in the day.

300 am in Indiana right now...woah!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:Lose Big --> Lose Close --> Win Close --> Win Big

300 am in Indiana right now...woah!
2:00 am where I live. We are on Central time while the rest of the state is Eastern.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I never understood why Indiana has split time zones like that. So weird.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Its because of the proximity to Chicago and Central Time Zone, right?