Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by azcat49 »

DMJ, we were talking about how we would miss the sun city bball tournament the most yesterday playing golf and we just said we would still go and hit a sports book snd party like the cats are in town. Not going to cow town for sure
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:00 pm I want to salvage the PAC and I want us to continue to play the majority of our games against schools in the west.

But then again I wanted us to stay at GOAZCATS and I was wrong about that so.....
The PAC died the moment UCLA and USC left. It was never going to be salvaged.

I get some wont be happy with the travel in the Big 12, but it's worth it to not end up in a new MWC, which is all the Pac will end up being.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Fendicent4ever

Post by Fendicent4ever »

TucsonCat wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:26 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:00 pm I want to salvage the PAC and I want us to continue to play the majority of our games against schools in the west.

But then again I wanted us to stay at GOAZCATS and I was wrong about that so.....
I think that the majority of us would prefer a scenario where the Pac12 never had criminally poor leadership, our media deal was robust, including a majority of content on linear broadcasting, and we had the ability to entice other major schools away from their current conference affiliation. I love our rivalries in the West, and it will be sad to see them go. Unfortunately, the damage has already been done, and it is irreparable, in my opinion. The best we can do now is to save ourselves, and find the best option for long-term survival. It’s unfortunate that option won’t be in the Pac12, but, on the plus side, it will allow for the creation of a whole new set of rivals.

This is it right here. TBH, the only rivalries I cared about (for context) were against the LA schools and ASU-on account of geography. The Pac 12 north is a big meh from me. I'd rather get to take my mom to a conference game in Allen Fieldhouse against her alma mater.

If only Texas and Oklahoma had jumped in 2010...man...

Given that the conference has been dead for about a year now, I hope we make the jump. Its not the SEC but its better than the Mountain West Plus that Crow and the state schools are insisting upon.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Fendicent4ever wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:07 pmIf only Texas and Oklahoma had jumped in 2010...man...
Sorry, but have to correct the record here. Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State were all set to make the jump to the PAC but Larry Scott, and his fluffers at ASU, SC, and Cal thought there was no need to expand and “dilute the league” so they called it off.

The PAC could have also picked the Big12’s carcass clean after Texas and Oklahoma announced their move to the SEC, but once again it was deemed that we didn’t need Kansas, Baylor, OKState, Texas Tech, TCU, or any of the other schools begging to be a part of a strong 16 team conference.

It’s been a series of unforced errors by conference leadership which has led us to today. Why anyone would have the confidence to stay with this gaggle of non-visionaries is beyond me.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:48 pm

I get some wont be happy with the travel in the Big 12, but it's worth it to not end up in a new MWC, which is all the Pac will end up being.
Once again AZCatGirl nails it. As soon as the LA schools announced they were leaving the PAC it was essentially over. Those were 2 cornerstone universities in our conference and without filling that gap with 2 comparable power schools - which now looks more unlikely than ever - it's been just a matter of time until the PAC transforms into a second tier conference.

I have been a PAC guy since the Pac 8 and I was looking back at the PCC history (before it became the PAC 8) just for fun like who were the founding institutions (Cal, Wash, Oregon & Oregon State in 1915) and never knew that both Idaho (1922-1959) and Montana (1924-1950) were in the conference for quite a long time.

Such a sad demise and it just shows what can happen when you have really poor leadership.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:35 am

Once again AZCatGirl nails it. As soon as the LA schools announced they were leaving the PAC it was essentially over. Those were 2 cornerstone universities in our conference and without filling that gap with 2 comparable power schools - which now looks more unlikely than ever - it's been just a matter of time until the PAC transforms into a second tier conference.

I have been a PAC guy since the Pac 8 and I was looking back at the PCC history (before it became the PAC 8) just for fun like who were the founding institutions (Cal, Wash, Oregon & Oregon State in 1915) and never knew that both Idaho (1922-1959) and Montana (1924-1950) were in the conference for quite a long time.

Such a sad demise and it just shows what can happen when you have really poor leadership.
Lehman Brothers Inc. was founded in 1847. It went through numerous leadership changes obviously. It died in 2008 due to poor decisions made by poor leadership. This is no different. It's sad what's become of the Pac-12, but inept leadership over decades will tank any business. It's as much Arizona's fault as it is anybody's. You defer to the educationally conservative & athletically void (Cal/Stanford) for so long, eventually that conservatism will come back and haunt you. Here we are.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:49 am

Lehman Brothers Inc. was founded in 1847. It went through numerous leadership changes obviously. It died in 2008 due to poor decisions made by poor leadership. This is no different. It's sad what's become of the Pac-12, but inept leadership over decades will tank any business. It's as much Arizona's fault as it is anybody's. You defer to the educationally conservative & athletically void (Cal/Stanford) for so long, eventually that conservatism will come back and haunt you. Here we are.
True Choo.

Stanford & Cal are strange to me. I wouldn't say they were athletically void in the general sense. Both are top 10 in most NCAA championships - Stanford #1 with 123 and Cal at #10 with 38 titles. So they have sports in their DNA so to speak, just have not progressed enough (especially Cal) to be consistent powers in the revenue producing programs.

It's funny a school like Stanford has shown glimpses from time to time (both in football and basketball) but it's like they can't be bothered with doing it on a regular basis. They are different, which I get, but if they wanted to play with the big boys they could very easily be a ND/football or Duke basketball kind of school if their leadership so desired. Kind of sucks for me because my Father lettered at Stanford (Tennis in the '40s) and and sports to him were a big part of the Stanford experience that he shared with me. I used to go up and meet his friends before the Big Game - had my first beer and looked at my first Playboy at their parties. :lol: I also spent time a lot of time with Howie Dallmar, my Father's good friend, who won a NCAA championship at Stanford and coached the team for 20 years.

But like you say, it just takes incompetence for a period of time to crash the whole thing down. It's just a shame because of the incredible history that conference has.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:27 am

True Choo.

Stanford & Cal are strange to me. I wouldn't say they were athletically void in the general sense. Both are top 10 in most NCAA championships - Stanford #1 with 123 and Cal at #10 with 38 titles. So they have sports in their DNA so to speak, just have not progressed enough (especially Cal) to be consistent powers in the revenue producing programs.

It's funny a school like Stanford has shown glimpses from time to time (both in football and basketball) but it's like they can't be bothered with doing it on a regular basis. They are different, which I get, but if they wanted to play with the big boys they could very easily be a ND/football or Duke basketball kind of school if their leadership so desired. Kind of sucks for me because my Father lettered at Stanford (Tennis in the '40s) and and sports to him were a big part of the Stanford experience that he shared with me. I used to go up and meet his friends before the Big Game - had my first beer and looked at my first Playboy at their parties. :lol: I also spent time a lot of time with Howie Dallmar, my Father's good friend, who won a NCAA championship at Stanford and coached the team for 20 years.

But like you say, it just takes incompetence for a period of time to crash the whole thing down. It's just a shame because of the incredible history that conference has.
They had sports in their DNA. A massive culture shift there over the past 15-20 years has diminished said sports culture there by far (although the olympic sports are still somewhat relevant to them). Regardless of any sports culture they had or don't have, all conference level moves prioritized academics above all else, including turning their noses up to schools attached to the church with huge fanbases a la BYU and such. Turning down the Oklahoma schools, who were begging to join nearly a decade ago, was the straw that broke the camel's back. There was nothing, but pure academic snobbery and allergic reactions to high level athletics that was behind that decision.
TucsonCat

Post by TucsonCat »

Choo, I agree with 99.99% of what you post on here, and you definitely have your finger on the pulse of our beloved UA program. I just have one little quibble with this comment though. You are spot on with the fact that this is as much UA’s fault as anybody, and that the poor decision making on all fronts has led to the demise of the Pac-12. However, to consider Stanford and Cal academically conservative is a big stretch. They are highly progressive institutions that are placing greater and greater amounts of emphasis on academics, over athletics. The one conservative action they have taken in this drama was to protect the sanctity on their ivory towers against the unclean heathens that they feel are beneath their lofty perches, at all costs. But they are doing it for a progressive reason. Academics above all else, in the minds of the snobs in those hallowed halls…
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TucsonCat wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:00 am

Choo, I agree with 99.99% of what you post on here, and you definitely have your finger on the pulse of our beloved UA program. I just have one little quibble with this comment though. You are spot on with the fact that this is as much UA’s fault as anybody, and that the poor decision making on all fronts has led to the demise of the Pac-12. However, to consider Stanford and Cal academically conservative is a big stretch. They are highly progressive institutions that are placing greater and greater amounts of emphasis on academics, over athletics. The one conservative action they have taken in this drama was to protect the sanctity on their ivory towers against the unclean heathens that they feel are beneath their lofty perches, at all costs. But they are doing it for a progressive reason. Academics above all else, in the minds of the snobs in those hallowed halls…
By conservative I meant not aligning themselves conference-wise with any religious universities (BYU) or turning their noses up to non-AAU universities as well (Oklahoma/Okie State).

I do realize it's funny to call Stanford/Cal as conservative in any way lol, but in the manner I'm referring to they were absolutely conservative.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Hey Choo, any insight into tomorrow's press conference?
TucsonCat

Post by TucsonCat »

😂 Fair enough, Choo.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

This video was released 4 months ago and is still relevant.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

U of A better not sign a 100 year Grant of Rights to the Big 12 and better do all it can to have a buy out from the conference as little as possible. 100 year grant of rights would be so stupid and so small thinking
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:18 am Hey Choo, any insight into tomorrow's press conference?
You mean meeting?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:14 pm DMJ, we were talking about how we would miss the sun city bball tournament the most yesterday playing golf and we just said we would still go and hit a sports book snd party like the cats are in town. Not going to cow town for sure
I have a friend who goes to KC for the hoop’s championship and has a great time.

He doesn’t even go to the games, just hangs at the Power and Light district and has a big time. He talks about it each year.

He’s invited me a few times, I haven’t had the opportunity to go yet, but now I might have a reason.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hard to think KC is anywhere close to Vegas Sportsbook wise. We will probably go one year and try it but that tournament would be fraught with risk of an early exit and then you are stuck in KC.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The KC Power and Light district is awesome. But it ain't close to Vegas
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Love how no one is talking about the required 100 year GOR new teams need to sign to join the Big 12. That is such a big deal. Not sure it is ignorance or if people know it is a bad move and are ignoring it to justify their small thinking
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hell yeah when we going to Big12?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ariozna is the one who knocks. The rest of the pac12 survivors can pound sand
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The Big XII has a 99 year membership requirement.

https://static.big12sports.com/custompa ... %2C%202012.
Buyout Amount. Any Withdrawing Member shall pay to the Conference a commitment
buyout fee (the “Buyout Amount”) in an amount equal to the sum of the amount of
distributions that otherwise would be paid to the Member during the final two years of
its membership in the Conference. The Withdrawing Member shall be deemed to have
agreed to forfeit all distributions of any type that otherwise would have been made to
the Withdrawing Member during the Interim Period (the “Distribution Withholding”)
and the Conference shall not pay the Distribution Withholding to the Withdrawing
Member. A Withdrawing Member agrees to pay to the Conference the amount by
which the Buyout Amount exceeds the Distribution Withholding, with such payment
to be made not later than the Effective Date.
This is just what Texas and OU went through.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:55 am
azgreg wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:18 am Hey Choo, any insight into tomorrow's press conference?
You mean meeting?
I thought I heard there was a press conference. Maybe they were talking about the meeting instead.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I cannot wait to lock this thread
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Here's an article on the pressures ESPN is facing, and the obstacles they are facing in the future (https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/disn ... 25086.html). Basically, ESPN gets about $9 to $10 per subscriber, but only about 1/3 people watch ESPN on a regular basis. That means, if ESPN goes a la carte streaming, it will need to charge about $30 per sub. And that number, as of today, too many people will balk and not pay for it.

What this means for college sports is still TBD. But for about a decade now, college sports and TV insiders have been discussing super-conferences are the future. Likely because a world with two super-conferences may be the most profitable for ESPN, FOX, Comcast, and CBS. And yes, this means these TV networks will be over-paying for some teams to get to 24 per conference. Multi-million dollar businesses aren't run by 2nd graders, but usually people with advanced degrees who understand that sometimes line items may be money losers, but certain dependencies and efficiencies mean increased profit overall. The general business term is "loss leader," and if 24 team super-conferences is the most profitable situation for ESPN, they aren't going to let a 2nd grader saying, "But you'll be overpaying for Arizona!" stop them from making a decision that would met out the most profits.

The questions still yet to be unanswered are is the super-conference really the ideal for the TV networks? And will the conferences like the SEC, push back? The SEC likes having schools in contiguous states, and without Colorado, that makes expansion for them difficult. Oklahoma and Colorado share a border, but w/o Colorado, there really isn't a path west for the SEC. Not to mention, if UW and Oregon go to the B1G, it would leave the SEC with the PAC leftovers. My guess is the SEC pushes back against expanding further west, which changes the numbers for ESPN. No 4th window games in the SEC may make the super-conference less profitable.

The best scenario for us right now, assuming we do go to the BIG12, is for the rumor UW, Oregon, Clemson, and FSU are all going to the B1G. This would be a huge blow for the ACC and the PAC, making the BIG12 a clear #3 conference. And the only conference ESPN may have for future 4th window games. Maybe the BIG12 can also get SDSU, which would get us a footprint back in S. Cal, which would ease some of the recruiting questions?
Fendicent4ever

Post by Fendicent4ever »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:03 am
Fendicent4ever wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:07 pmIf only Texas and Oklahoma had jumped in 2010...man...
Sorry, but have to correct the record here. Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State were all set to make the jump to the PAC but Larry Scott, and his fluffers at ASU, SC, and Cal thought there was no need to expand and “dilute the league” so they called it off.

The PAC could have also picked the Big12’s carcass clean after Texas and Oklahoma announced their move to the SEC, but once again it was deemed that we didn’t need Kansas, Baylor, OKState, Texas Tech, TCU, or any of the other schools begging to be a part of a strong 16 team conference.

It’s been a series of unforced errors by conference leadership which has led us to today. Why anyone would have the confidence to stay with this gaggle of non-visionaries is beyond me.

Agreed. Of that, there is no doubt. I remember a lot of talk about major television markets back then (hence Rutgers getting called up to the Big 10). Seems like that model has been tweaked to say the least. Otherwise the PAC wouldn't be dead given that was probably the most major metro centric Power 5.

Its a new day. Bear Down.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:12 am
The best scenario for us right now, assuming we do go to the BIG12, is for the rumor UW, Oregon, Clemson, and FSU are all going to the B1G. This would be a huge blow for the ACC and the PAC, making the BIG12 a clear #3 conference. And the only conference ESPN may have for future 4th window games. Maybe the BIG12 can also get SDSU, which would get us a footprint back in S. Cal, which would ease some of the recruiting questions?
If UW and Oregon go to the Big Ten, Crow's push to save the Pac is obviously cold and in the grave. It would be ironic after all this that Arizona would probably be the one to throw him a life-line, but I couldn't care less if he stays behind as a non-conference foe. Also ironic that the hubris of the Bay Area schools would contribute to their reduced circumstances. A final irony is that the "Hotline's" Carnac The Magnificent, oracle of oracles, seer of seers, prognosticator of prognosicators regarding the Pac, would be adrift in a dinghy covering Stanford and Cal, and maybe even marginalized to the extent of having to refer to himself in the singular once again. I'd just as soon be in the "old" Pac-12 playing the LA schools in conference home-and-homes and having the hoops tourney in Vegas. But that's gone, and I've never particularly cared about playing the PNW or Bay Area schools. A final irony is that Colorado, for my money the best football road trip in the Pac, would be restored in the Big XII.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

This is a clusterfuck.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Numbers? $hit, no one watches Apple TV. I wouldn’t bet on those escalators.

ESPIN today said the Big 12 deal pays each school 37m all in. Take that and run
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

wyo-cat wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:12 pm This is a clusterfuck.
But is it a clusterfuck amongst big or small dicks? Informed and good fans want to know.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

It's over. Goodbye Pac-12. It was a fun ride.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hell yeh let’s do this.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... izona-next
Arizona has been at the forefront for a potential move to the Big 12, as it had the most extensive talks with the league prior to the Colorado departure. A move by Arizona to the Big 12 would significantly weaken the Pac-12, putting an unstable league on the brink. And no one realizes this more than Robbins.

"He knows the gravity," said a person familiar with Robbins' thinking. "He does not want to be the one to break apart the Pac-12."

That's why sources say Arizona, Arizona State and Utah -- the Pac-12's remaining three of the so-called Four Corner schools -- are expected to lump their futures together.

As another industry source pointed out: "I don't see any of them having the fortitude to break up the Pac-12 themselves. They'll break as three. It's either going to be all three leave, or none leave."
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

azgreg wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:58 pm https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... izona-next
Arizona has been at the forefront for a potential move to the Big 12, as it had the most extensive talks with the league prior to the Colorado departure. A move by Arizona to the Big 12 would significantly weaken the Pac-12, putting an unstable league on the brink. And no one realizes this more than Robbins.

"He knows the gravity," said a person familiar with Robbins' thinking. "He does not want to be the one to break apart the Pac-12."

That's why sources say Arizona, Arizona State and Utah -- the Pac-12's remaining three of the so-called Four Corner schools -- are expected to lump their futures together.

As another industry source pointed out: "I don't see any of them having the fortitude to break up the Pac-12 themselves. They'll break as three. It's either going to be all three leave, or none leave."
I really hope that's not true at all. Every man for himself.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Take this stuff with a grain of salt but it seems awfully specific tp be pulled out of his ass.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I’ll take back some (not all.. or even most.. but some) of the awful things I’ve said about Robbins if he has the balls to kiss this corpse of a conference goodbye.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So the pac leftovers might get 30m or even 40m but it will be 90%+ streaming? That doesn’t sound to bad……..for those guys 😂😂
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Sure not seeing much defense of that deal.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fishclamps wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:00 pm
azgreg wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:58 pm https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... izona-next

Seriously, Gentleman's agreements are such an antiquated way of thinking. Who gives a shit - break it up, the pac12 has done shit for us.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:33 pm I’ll take back some (not all.. or even most.. but some) of the awful things I’ve said about Robbins if he has the balls to kiss this corpse of a conference goodbye.
That just it - He doesn’t have the balls.

How did a cardiovascular surgeon get to the top of Texas medical center by being such a pushover, illl never know.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol, that downfall video is so hilarious in light of this new plan from the Pac
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Mike Luke's burner account.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:07 pm
Fishclamps wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:00 pm

Seriously, Gentleman's agreements are such an antiquated way of thinking. Who gives a shit - break it up, the pac12 has done shit for us.
I assume you mean besides the national titles and tons and tons of money right?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

KillerKlown wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:20 pm
So like every single realignment deal ever except Colorado this year