Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by PHXCATS »

Seems like a big move has to be made.

The best move left for the PAC is for George going to espn and the ACC to agreeing to merge the two conferences for the remainder of the ACC contract. Same conference, two divisions for football. Scheduling remains mostly west and east for all sports with some crossover and postseason tournaments combined

I am not saying I am in favor of this move, but I think it is the best chance out there for the PAC12 conference
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

Bally collapse is another bad sign for Pac12 negotiations.

If the new PAC12 deal with ESPN+/Youtube comes in at $20M per school annually, and Yormark offers the four corner schools $38-50M annually as the pro-rata expansion terms of the new tv deal allows, what does the school do?
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

A ACC/PAC merge, or co-branding TV agreement is a possibility. This article proposes such a deal (https://writeforcalifornia.com/p/pac-12 ... ec-big-ten)

Lots of moving parts, but I can see an agreement where the PAC Network and ACC Network Merge under the ESPN banner. Much of these games go streaming only on ESPN+. Amazon also comes in and pays the ACC and the PAC for a GOW for about $5 million per school a year. Gives Amazon only two games a week, during prime time slots, and gives ESPN most of the PAC tonnage for $25 million per school a year, and plenty of content for ESPN+. There would also be some crossover scheduling, with premiere games like Oregon @ Clemson, FSU @ UW for football, and plenty of top basketball crossovers, like Arizona vs. Duke at Madison Square Garden, and North Carolina vs. Utah in Vegas.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Same people still coping and trying to find any little ounce of a miracle to keep this conference alive. Why people have such high loyalty to this conference I don't know.
Mike Luke's burner account.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

KillerKlown wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:31 pm Same people still coping and trying to find any little ounce of a miracle to keep this conference alive. Why people have such high loyalty to this conference I don't know.
Who?
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

It's not loyalty to the conference. It's exploring all options before closing all doors. And if a ACC/PAC deal is a better deal than anything the BIG12 has to offer, why not take it?

And the conference isn't dead yet. The B1G won't expand at current rates, but might pick up PAC leftovers if they existed. And the only way there are PAC leftovers is if the 4-corner schools leave for the BIG12. The Arizona schools might be willing to go, but both Utah and Colorado are against it. And I'm hearing Robbins isn't too keen on the BIG12 right now, and only ASu is considering it. But the Arizona BOR, the two Arizona schools are tied together, and if we don't want to go, neither school goes.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:41 pm
KillerKlown wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:31 pm Same people still coping and trying to find any little ounce of a miracle to keep this conference alive. Why people have such high loyalty to this conference I don't know.
Who?

Perfect timing.

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:48 pm It's not loyalty to the conference. It's exploring all options before closing all doors. And if a ACC/PAC deal is a better deal than anything the BIG12 has to offer, why not take it?

And the conference isn't dead yet. The B1G won't expand at current rates, but might pick up PAC leftovers if they existed. And the only way there are PAC leftovers is if the 4-corner schools leave for the BIG12. The Arizona schools might be willing to go, but both Utah and Colorado are against it. And I'm hearing Robbins isn't too keen on the BIG12 right now, and only ASu is considering it. But the Arizona BOR, the two Arizona schools are tied together, and if we don't want to go, neither school goes.

Some would rather go through a large open door now than end up trying to squeeze through a tiny window by ending up in the Big West or reformed WAC.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Merkin wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:55 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:41 pm
Who?

Perfect timing.

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:48 pm It's not loyalty to the conference. It's exploring all options before closing all doors. And if a ACC/PAC deal is a better deal than anything the BIG12 has to offer, why not take it?

Some would rather go through a large open door now than end up trying to squeeze through a tiny window by ending up in the Big West or reformed WAC.
If done right, a ACC/PAC would likely be stronger than the BIG 12. Clemson, FSU, Miami, Oregon, UW, and Stanford are all bigger brands than anything the BIG 12 will have once Texas and OK leave. And the door to the BIG 12 may not be open if Utah and Colorado don't want to go through it. Not sure the BIG 12 take just the AZ schools. Probably wouldn't increase the conference payout with just the two of us. So until at least all 4 corner schools agree to the BIG12, or the B1G expands to add more schools out west, we may be stuck in the PAC.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The dumbest thing to do would be to make a decision without final offers and all available options

That's all I have seen anyone say who is not blindly for leaving
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:06 pm The dumbest thing to do would be to make a decision without final offers and all available options

If there was a good enough deal it would’ve been signed long ago. The offers are only getting worse and the PAC 12 loses leverage with every day. Can that change over the next couple of months? Maybe I guess? Maybe Jessica Alba will wake up deciding that she’s in love with me. Are the odds good that either happen? No, absolutely not.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:13 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:06 pm The dumbest thing to do would be to make a decision without final offers and all available options

If there was a good enough deal it would’ve been signed long ago. The offers are only getting worse and the PAC 12 loses leverage with every day. Can that change over the next couple of months? Maybe I guess? Maybe Jessica Alba will wake up deciding that she’s in love with me. Are the odds good that either happen? No, absolutely not.
I get it. If the reports are accurate about George having until the final four to make a move I think that is a good cutoff for it. I also assume the reports that Arizona has spoken to the Big 12 are accurate as well. If so Heeke and Robins are doing it right
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Is there any incentive for the ACC to throw the PAC a lifeline?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:13 pm If there was a good enough deal it would’ve been signed long ago. The offers are only getting worse and the PAC 12 loses leverage with every day. Can that change over the next couple of months? Maybe I guess? Maybe Jessica Alba will wake up deciding that she’s in love with me. Are the odds good that either happen? No, absolutely not.

Exactly. With a deal of this magnitude with so many people involved, leaks are bound to happen. With every leak being bad news, it's just best to move on and think about what's best for the UA, not what is best for the PAC. With so many ADs in financial trouble, even before the pandemic, presidents need to look out what is best for their school.

With George meeting with Heeke the other day, the wheels are in motion to leave the PAC.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The flaw in your logic is that if we wait around for all final offers and all available options we may end up screwed.....ROYALLY.

Remember we are not the only fish in this barrel. If the final offer is remotely close to what most reporters are saying...less than $25M
payout the rest of the fish in the barrel (especially teams such as Oregon/Washington) will trample the poor old UA running out the door.
The Big12 will prioritize taking the NW schools over us (for obvious reasons). That would leave 2 less landing spots for the UA. If the B12 only wants 4 P12 schools (and take the NW schools first) that would leave the B12 to choose among the UA, Colorado, Utah and asu for the final 2 spots.........and it is unlikely we would be in the top 2. The UA has the smallest TV market, and the worst football program over the past 2 decades. The UA would likely wind up in a seriously watered down PACWhatever or the MWC. Waiting for crystal clarity on everything could well be the death knell for UA sports.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

If the ACC can get more money, get will. They agreed locked into $20 million a year with ESPN until 35/36. That's their incentive.

And I'll donate $1000 to the UA Foundation if Oregon and Washington ever become BIG12 members. They want no part of that conference. Neither do Utah and Colorado for that matter.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:07 pm If the ACC can get more money, get will. They agreed locked into $20 million a year with ESPN until 35/36. That's their incentive.

And I'll donate $1000 to the UA Foundation if Oregon and Washington ever become BIG12 members. They want no part of that conference. Neither do Utah and Colorado for that matter.
That's mighty nice of you. About 40 thousand more of you (per year) and maybe the athletic department will be able to make up for the lost revenue once relegated to the MWC.
And dude, why should Arizona care what Ore, Wash, Utah and Colo want? So what. The minute that money flow tightens up (it will) their gonna try to get theirs first.
And wasn't that ACC/PAC merge D.O.A. when it was first mentioned months ago? And wasn't it you that brought it up? :lol:
What makes you think ACC teams would want to travel west every other week? East teams HATE traveling west of the Mississippi. You and PHXCATS are delusional.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

KillerKlown wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:36 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:07 pm If the ACC can get more money, get will. They agreed locked into $20 million a year with ESPN until 35/36. That's their incentive.

That's mighty nice of you. About 40 thousand more of you (per year) and maybe the athletic department will be able to make up for the lost revenue once relegated to the MWC.
And dude, why should Arizona care what Ore, Wash, Utah and Colo want? So what. The minute that money flow tightens up (it will) their gonna try to get theirs first.
And wasn't that ACC/PAC merge D.O.A. when it was first mentioned months ago? And wasn't it you that brought it up? :lol:
What makes you think ACC teams would want to travel west every other week? East teams HATE traveling west of the Mississippi. You and PHXCATS are delusional.
There are dependencies within what the PAC schools do. The B1G isn't expanding right now. But, if the 4 corner schools went BIG12, the B1G could likely get get Oregon and UW, plus the Bay schools for a discount. But Utah and Colorado have no desire to go BIG12. So, that leaves Oregon and UW locked out of the B1G.

Oregon and UW want even less to do with the BIG12 than Colorado and Utah. Call it snobbery, which UW has had for decades. Remember, UW and Stanford were against adding the Arizona schools back in the 70s. No way they join the BIG12. None.

An ACC/PAC may not be a merger, but a cross country agreement. Play 2 OOC non-confetence football games, one home, one away a year. That's 1 trip outside your area a year. Not a big deal. There could also be a ACC/PAC challenge in other sports during non-conference seasons.

ACC would consider it if it meant more money. Their schools are locked into making $20 million a year until 35/36. They may be on ESPN, but they are getting paid pennies on the dollar. Any deal where ACC makes more money is a lifeline to them, which is why they might consider giving one back to the PAC.

Last, unless anyone here is a PAC President/Chancellor, or TV exec, we don't know the numbers and deals on the table. We hear only rumors. And not all rumors turn out to be true.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:07 pm

There are dependencies within what the PAC schools do. The B1G isn't expanding right now. But, if the 4 corner schools went BIG12, the B1G could likely get get Oregon and UW, plus the Bay schools for a discount. But Utah and Colorado have no desire to go BIG12. So, that leaves Oregon and UW locked out of the B1G.

Oregon and UW want even less to do with the BIG12 than Colorado and Utah. Call it snobbery, which UW has had for decades. Remember, UW and Stanford were against adding the Arizona schools back in the 70s. No way they join the BIG12. None.

An ACC/PAC may not be a merger, but a cross country agreement. Play 2 OOC non-confetence football games, one home, one away a year. That's 1 trip outside your area a year. Not a big deal. There could also be a ACC/PAC challenge in other sports during non-conference seasons.

ACC would consider it if it meant more money. Their schools are locked into making $20 million a year until 35/36. They may be on ESPN, but they are getting paid pennies on the dollar. Any deal where ACC makes more money is a lifeline to them, which is why they might consider giving one back to the PAC.

Last, unless anyone here is a PAC President/Chancellor, or TV exec, we don't know the numbers and deals on the table. We hear only rumors. And not all rumors turn out to be true.
"Oregon and UW want even less to do with the BIG12 than Colorado and Utah"

At this point you are spouting delusional crap with ZERO evidence to back it up. If the P12 offer ends up $Million short of what the B12 offers they will flee there in a heartbeat. Your ridiculous opinions are NOT fact.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:12 pm

At this point you are spouting delusional crap with ZERO evidence to back it up. If the P12 offer ends up $Million short of what the B12 offers they will flee there in a heartbeat. Your ridiculous opinions are NOT fact.
The difference in money would have to be $10 million or more for UW and Oregon to consider it. If the LA schools are facing a $5 million increase to go B1G, the numbers would be similar for the PAC NW schools to go BIG12. And you honestly think UW, which is second to Stanford in the wine and cheese crowd, and located in the same city that's give to Amazon, Costco, and Microsoft is going to join the BIG12, you know nothing about UW. Oregon is more nouveau money, but the arrogance is the same.

The BIG12 knows this too, and understand if the B1G ever offers UW and Oregon, they are gone in a second. The rumor is, the BIG12 doesn't want short term members, and would make PAC schools sign a Grant of Rights contract separate from the current TV contract that lock former PAC teams to the BIG12 long term. Another reason why UW and Oregon aren't leaving.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

What the fuck are you talking about?

Wanting to wait to know all figures and options makes me delusional?
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:25 pm

What the fuck are you talking about?

Wanting to wait to know all figures and options makes me delusional?
When the options are all made up in your head and not based in reality, yes that makes one delusional.

I'm not saying your as delusional as the other guy, but maybe just a slice of delusion. And relax eat a snickers.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:23 pm

The difference in money would have to be $10 million or more for UW and Oregon to consider it. If the LA schools are facing a $5 million increase to go B1G, the numbers would be similar for the PAC NW schools to go BIG12. And you honestly think UW, which is second to Stanford in the wine and cheese crowd, and located in the same city that's give to Amazon, Costco, and Microsoft is going to join the BIG12, you know nothing about UW. Oregon is more nouveau money, but the arrogance is the same.

The BIG12 knows this too, and understand if the B1G ever offers UW and Oregon, they are gone in a second. The rumor is, the BIG12 doesn't want short term members, and would make PAC schools sign a Grant of Rights contract separate from the current TV contract that lock former PAC teams to the BIG12 long term. Another reason why UW and Oregon aren't leaving.
More delusional crap spewing out of your mouth.

Where in the hell do you get this $10million number??? Are you friends with the UO/UW athletic directors???

Again, please try to refrain from passing your ridiculous claims on this board as fact.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

A lot of good reads here:
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:27 am

Where in the hell do you get this $10million number??? Are you friends with the UO/UW athletic directors???

Again, please try to refrain from passing your ridiculous claims on this board as fact.
I posted an LA Times article stating UCLA is v expecting to spend between $5.5 and $6.5 million more on their travel budget once they join the B1G. But that's not an issue for them, because payment is tens of millions more. Travel from Seattle and Eugene to current BIG12 locales will also cost more. If the BIG12 money is only $5 million more a year, really think UW would give up its connection to Stanford and CAL for OK State and TTech for what is bottom line, the same money.

As for my UW source, I lived in Seattle for 3 years, and my boss is a huge UW booster. He's still upset the PAC let in ASu, and isn't keen on SDSU and SMU either. No way UW would consider joining a conference full of truck stops (his words) unless the money was B1G like money. But then, if the BIG12 were getting B1G money, they would have better schools in better locations.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:29 am

I posted an LA Times article stating UCLA is v expecting to spend between $5.5 and $6.5 million more on their travel budget once they join the B1G. But that's not an issue for them, because payment is tens of millions more. Travel from Seattle and Eugene to current BIG12 locales will also cost more. If the BIG12 money is only $5 million more a year, really think UW would give up its connection to Stanford and CAL for OK State and TTech for what is bottom line, the same money.

As for my UW source, I lived in Seattle for 3 years, and my boss is a huge UW booster. He's still upset the PAC let in ASu, and isn't keen on SDSU and SMU either. No way UW would consider joining a conference full of truck stops (his words) unless the money was B1G like money. But then, if the BIG12 were getting B1G money, they would have better schools in better locations.
I just don't understand why you keep regurgitating the same shit over and over like it's some kind of fact that will sway these schools decision to jump for a better conference that will provide long term stability.

Just because travel costs will increase for SC and UCLA is quickly dismissed because they are getting paid fucking more. Period. And UW and Oregon will get paid more than anything the Pac will able to scrape up at this point. Plus, a few million more in travel expenses is peanuts for schools like Oregon (Nike money) and UW (nationally recognized football program and 12th ranked market).

And just because some dipshit booster doesn't want to travel to Lubbock will have zero bearing on the school's decision to survive the Pac postmortem which at this point is inevitable given the current state of their negotiations not to mention the fact their 2 most prized commodities (arguably) will be bolting for greener pastures.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:14 am

I just don't understand why you keep regurgitating the same shit over and over like it's some kind of fact that will sway these schools decision to jump for a better conference that will provide long term stability.

Just because travel costs will increase for SC and UCLA is quickly dismissed because they are getting paid fucking more. Period. And UW and Oregon will get paid more than anything the Pac will able to scrape up at this point. Plus, a few million more in travel expenses is peanuts for schools like Oregon (Nike money) and UW (nationally recognized football program and 12th ranked market).

And just because some dipshit booster doesn't want to travel to Lubbock will have zero bearing on the school's decision to survive the Pac postmortem which at this point is inevitable given the current state of their negotiations not to mention the fact their 2 most prized commodities (arguably) will be bolting for greener pastures.
This dipshit booster sits in the sky boxes for every football game, and is often on TV during basketball games, as he sits right behind the UW coach. He gives millions a year to UW. His opinion matters.

UW is not giving up Stanford and CAL for Baylor and OK State. They would give them up for Northwestern and Ohio State, but they would prefer the B1G to take the Bay Areas plus Oregon. It's not just the money. I'd the prestige. UW looks down on the BIG12 and wants zero part in it.

The BIG12 understands this too. They know the moment the B1G calls, any PAC school is gone. Which is why the rumor is the BIG12 wants PAC schools to sign a GOR contract that goes beyond the BIG12 TV deal. The BIG12 doesn't want to be a school's rebound conference that's only a short term solution after a break up with the PAC, and before a better looking conference comes along. UW and Oregon would rather stay in the PAC till the end than sign anything long term with the BIG12.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Oh, and as for Oregon, they do have Phil Knight money. But remember this about Mr. Nike, he's a Stanford grad, and also gives millions to his alma mater. He's not going to let Oregon go to a conference without Stanford. And no way Stanford is going BIG12 for the same reason UW isn't going. Knight has also been quoted that Oregon will only leave the PAC for two conferences. The B!G or the SEC. The BIG12 isn't an option.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Stop the presses folks! AzCatFan2 has lived in Seattle.......AND knows a booster!!!

Thats the final word on PAC12 realignment if I have ever heard it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:49 am

Stop the presses folks! AzCatFan2 has lived in Seattle.......AND knows a booster!!!

Thats the final word on PAC12 realignment if I have ever heard it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not just any booster...one that actually sits behind the bench. OMG! :roll:
And he donates millions, maybe even trillions, and will decide the fate of UW's athletic existence. :lol: :lol: :lol:
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I prefer not to divulge my source in public, but if anyone is curious, PM me, and I'll tell you who he is. And give you the link to his bio page on the UW Tyee Club page. The Tyee club is the UW Athletic equivalent to the Wildcat Club.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:37 am Oh, and as for Oregon, they do have Phil Knight money. But remember this about Mr. Nike, he's a Stanford grad, and also gives millions to his alma mater. He's not going to let Oregon go to a conference without Stanford. And no way Stanford is going BIG12 for the same reason UW isn't going. Knight has also been quoted that Oregon will only leave the PAC for two conferences. The B!G or the SEC. The BIG12 isn't an option.
This a more delusional talk. There is not one ounce of truth in any of this. Just please stop embarrassing yourself.

UW and UO don't give two shits about Stanford. They care about UW and UO not getting left in the dust. This is not some Ivy league cocktail party power play no matter what you think.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Knight does contribute a ton of money to Stanford every year
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Wow, I missed that Phil Knight take. That’s just … lunacy.

Not sure where the idea Phil Knight would intentionally seek to screw over Oregon was pulled out of, but maybe stuff it back up there and pretend it didn’t cross your mind.
Last edited by CardiacCats97 on Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Oregon's money comes from Phil Knight. Knight is a Stanford alum that in addition to donating millions to Oregon, also donates millions to Stanford. Put 2 and 2 together. Will Oregon do something that pisses off its biggest benefactor by leaving for a conference while leaving Stanford in the dust?

Stanford isn't lowering their standards to join the BIG12. Neither is UW. Oregon doesn't want to either. There's good reason UW and Oregon petitioned to joined the B1G and not the BIG12. CAL also tried to back-door their way into the B1G using the California BOR. The B1G told the Bay Areas and UW and OU no for now. Reason being is UW and Oregon are $60 million a year max schools valuation, and they wouldn't increase B1G revenues. Stanford and CAL are worth less than UW and Oregon.

Now, if the B1G could pick these four up on the cheap, they probably would. But that only happens if the 4-corner schools leave for the BIG12 and the PAC disbands. The B1G could offer a lifeline and pay between $40 million and $45 million for the Bays and PAC NW schools. The B1G could probably make that offer now, but it would devalue UW and Oregon and put them behind the LA schools in the pecking order. Different narrative if the PAC is down to only 6 schools, loses P5 status, and the B1G is seen more as a savior, rather than purposely devaluing Oregon, UW, and the Bays.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:38 am Oregon's money comes from Phil Knight. Knight is a Stanford alum that in addition to donating millions to Oregon, also donates millions to Stanford. Put 2 and 2 together.
You added 2 & 2 and got “Velociraptor riding a tricycle”.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The Oregon governor wants to tether OSU with Oregon. Don't know if she has that power, as the ABOR does in AZ, but the UC Chancellors in CA did not.

No P-5 conferences want ntOSU, same with WSU. They are more Mountain West material which is no shame, some good programs there.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

This Dennis Dodd (CBS) article breaks things down well. https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ince-2011/ Basically, the PAC has supply in a market place where demand is currently satisfied. And without the LA schools, the demand for PAC products just isn't there, especially when the buyers like ESPN are struggling financially.

Dodd also breaks down where the PAC schools go if the conference splits. In his model, the 4-corners go BIG12, Oregon and UW go B1G, and the remaining 4 create a new conference with the likes of SDSU and SMU and try to remain Power 5. I disagree with Dodd that the B1G won't also take CAL and Stanford. The B1G didn't want to pay full price for the Bays and Oregon/UW, and didn't want to be seen the PAC's executioner. But if the conference is officially dead, the B1G can offer the 4 NW PAC schools a reduced offer as a lifeline.

I just truly never see Stanford and CAL in the same conference as Boise St and Fresno St.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Take this guy with a grain of salt but this deal wouldn't surprise me.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

He has been very hit or miss. Makes sense though

I have also seen some people quote monty from utah. That guy is the biggest fraud. He has been run out of many radio stations for lying. So do not trust anything he says
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Do Oregon and Washington still want a bigger share of the deal? If so Arizona should jump ship just to fuck them over and force them to scramble and claw just to get any money. That's just me applying my own pettiness of course.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

KillerKlown wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:59 am Do Oregon and Washington still want a bigger share of the deal? If so Arizona should jump ship just to fuck them over and force them to scramble and claw just to get any money. That's just me applying my own pettiness of course.
I suspect Oregon and Washington's desire to get a larger share was their attempt to sour the milk and push the 4-corners to the BIG12. Again, the B1G is currently closed to Oregon and UW. But if the PAC loses the 4-corners and crumbles, it likely opens up a deal where the B1G picks up Oregon and UW at a discount rate. An offer that is a contingency based on if and only if the PAC drops to 6 teams or fewer. Problem for Oregon and UW and Utah and Colorado don't want to go BIG12.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Dodd thinks Washington and Oregon may take a smaller share in the Big Ten. That's the only way the Big Ten would take them.

No one except ucla and usc would vote then in at a full or nearly full share
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

So, which conference has expressed an interest in Arizona??

What, exactly, is the biggest attraction of Arizona to any other conference?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not sure what his source is, being just some random guy, but if it's legit then I would be gone now.

AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

From Canzano, the BIG12 is talking with Boise St and Fresno St., plus Gonzaga for basketball only. But at best, only believe 50% of the rumors that are floating out there when it comes to conference talks (https://www.ksl.com/article/50582096/ca ... c-12-plots)

My guess is the BIG12 is trying to bait the 4-corner schools into leaving before the BIG12 promotes more G5 teams into a P5 conference. But hard to believe the BIG12 is serious about adding more G5 schools. They already diluted the conference by adding 4, meaning 1/3 of the conference starting in 2024 will be recent G5 teams. It's a bluff in my opinion, and certainly Gonzaga, Fresno, and Boise aren't worth $30 million a year each.

Oregon and UW are, but again, zero interest in the BIG12. If the PAC crumbles, they will happily take any crumbs the B1G give them. It's what they are actually hoping for. Heck, UW would rather be a part of the ACC over the BIG12. The ACC means less money, and not the academic clout of the B1G, but no way UW wants to align with the BIG12. Call me any name you want, but I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if UW and Oregon ever become BIG12 members.

Last, between the ACC, PAC, ESPN, and Amazon, I think there may be a potential deal. The PAC wants a deal, and has the 4th time slot to offer ESPN, and a GOW to offer Amazon. The ACC wants more money, but has no power, as ESPN holds their entire rights for pennies on the dollar. ESPN wants increase their revenue stream, as they are facing higher contractual costs, and lower carriage fees in the future. Amazon has subscribers to Amazon Prime (200 million), but lack viewership to their streaming services. In a deal, Amazon gets a GOW from the ACC and the PAC, to increase Prime viewership. ESPN gets say $.25/month from Prime memberships, which helps them pay for the PAC, the loss of an ACC GOW, and pay other contracts. The ACC gets an increase in payments from Amazon/ESPN, and the PAC gets a much needed deal. This is just the sports side. Amazon and Disney could also work in other deals with content swaps between Prime and Disney+ for example.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

The number of times you’ve described your assumptions as the wants and desires of the large universities you’re talking about is truly mind-boggling.

A) There are a number of different parties involved including the school presidents, the boards they report to, the athletic departments, the coaches, and even the local and state governments. Saying “UO and UW want…” is truly foolhardy. These aren’t siloed single-voice entities. And neither are the conferences.

B) Your assumptions are just that. You are assuming things based on how you’d see them if you were in those positions of power. Which is fine, but it makes your arguments look silly when you present these assumptions as foregone conclusions or facts we all should agree to. You don’t actually KNOW anything.

C) A & B make me question my sanity since I still for some masochistic reason read your posts.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

It's wants and desires based on actions, statements, and in some cases, inside information. It's no secret UW and Oregon want out of the PAC. Heck, they petitioned to join the B1G. It was denied. Have they ever made a single move that would show one iota of interest in the BIG12? No. None. That's because they have zero interest in ever joining the BIG12.

I haven't mentioned the WA or OR Board of Regents, mostly because I don't know their politics. But I would imagine there are inside sources that want to keep the state schools together. We know the AZ BOR probably has the power to keep the AZ schools together. Not sure about the power the WA or OR BORs have respectively.

At this point, one of two things will happen. Kliavkoff pulls a rabbit out of his hat, and the PAC survives. Maybe with a joint deal with the ACC? Maybe not. My opinion is a joint deal has more possibilities and a better chance to happen. If no rabbit appears, then the PAC dissipates, and the 4-corners go BIG12. Oregon, UW, and the Bay Areas get picked up by the B1G, but not at full member price, and UW and Oregon have to deal with WSU and OSU respectively, and state politics. No guess on how that ends.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:12 pm From Canzano, the BIG12 is talking with Boise St and Fresno St., plus Gonzaga for basketball only. But at best, only believe 50% of the rumors that are floating out there when it comes to conference talks (https://www.ksl.com/article/50582096/ca ... c-12-plots)

My guess is the BIG12 is trying to bait the 4-corner schools into leaving before the BIG12 promotes more G5 teams into a P5 conference. But hard to believe the BIG12 is serious about adding more G5 schools. They already diluted the conference by adding 4, meaning 1/3 of the conference starting in 2024 will be recent G5 teams. It's a bluff in my opinion, and certainly Gonzaga, Fresno, and Boise aren't worth $30 million a year each.

Oregon and UW are, but again, zero interest in the BIG12. If the PAC crumbles, they will happily take any crumbs the B1G give them. It's what they are actually hoping for. Heck, UW would rather be a part of the ACC over the BIG12. The ACC means less money, and not the academic clout of the B1G, but no way UW wants to align with the BIG12. Call me any name you want, but I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if UW and Oregon ever become BIG12 members.

Last, between the ACC, PAC, ESPN, and Amazon, I think there may be a potential deal. The PAC wants a deal, and has the 4th time slot to offer ESPN, and a GOW to offer Amazon. The ACC wants more money, but has no power, as ESPN holds their entire rights for pennies on the dollar. ESPN wants increase their revenue stream, as they are facing higher contractual costs, and lower carriage fees in the future. Amazon has subscribers to Amazon Prime (200 million), but lack viewership to their streaming services. In a deal, Amazon gets a GOW from the ACC and the PAC, to increase Prime viewership. ESPN gets say $.25/month from Prime memberships, which helps them pay for the PAC, the loss of an ACC GOW, and pay other contracts. The ACC gets an increase in payments from Amazon/ESPN, and the PAC gets a much needed deal. This is just the sports side. Amazon and Disney could also work in other deals with content swaps between Prime and Disney+ for example.
Stopped reading after the word Canzano.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:45 pm It's wants and desires based on actions, statements, and in some cases, inside information. It's no secret UW and Oregon want out of the PAC. Heck, they petitioned to join the B1G. It was denied.
You keep talking like you’ve got something besides your gut emotions. UW and Oregon petitioned to join the B1G? When? Can you provide the text of the document, letter, statement… anything?

The only thing we ever heard was that the B1G was no longer interested in pursuing any other teams except maybe Notre Dame after they added USC/UCLA. You have now created a story in your mind where UO/UW “petitioned” to join as well and were turned down flat.

It’s all in your head, but you’ll come back talking like you know what Oregon wants. What Phil Knight wants. What the B1G Commissioner wants (pssst… there isn’t one). What prominent people are lobbying for. How Amazon views the current marketplace. Whether Sasquatch is a UW or WSU fan and if he’ll accept them splitting up into different conferences.

It’s not real. It’s just your synapses misfiring.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah that Fresno State/Big 12 shenanigans is coming from the PAC 12 offices. There’s literally nothing to it.