Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

AzCatFan2

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Like it or not, football drives the conversation around conference alignment and conference TV deals. That's because about 3/4 of conference monies come from football. Also why it's silly to think the BIG12 would place Gonzaga, a school with no football team, ahead of Arizona in any pecking order. Men's Basketball revenues take up the lion's share of the remaining 1/4 of monies, but when it comes to tv deals, football is King, Queen, and Prince.

Not a fan of Robbins, as he dealt with Miller very poorly, and the whole UAGC fiasco is a black eye on the entire school. But I agree with him and what he said for the Atlantic article.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

This three year waste of time deal that will put us even further behind and do absolutely nothing to help our school in any tangible way must have you creaming in your shorts.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If you are counting on any team being good long term besides Kansas you are foolish
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Can't wait to play KU, Houston, Baylor. Even the middle tier teams ISU, KSU, TCU, TT, Cin, OSU, WV are good or just under it. Will be good for our long term growth in March. Might start off slow with some growing pains but im definitely looking forward to it.
Mike Luke's burner account.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

KillerKlown wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:24 pm Can't wait to play KU, Houston, Baylor. Even the middle tier teams ISU, KSU, TCU, TT, Cin, OSU, WV are good or just under it. Will be good for our long term growth in March. Might start off slow with some growing pains but im definitely looking forward to it.
Me too. We would be on major networks and I wouldn't have to be concerned about the obscure Pac-12 network. Or have to play our games on Amazon. Plus, they will be played earlier. The competition will be better and the officiating will help UA better prepare for March Madness.

Moving to the Big 12 for Aizona is a no brainer.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

But they needed a travel partner close by so it makes sense

Not to me. Do they share flights? Cabs? Hotel rooms?
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Merkin wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:41 pm But they needed a travel partner close by so it makes sense

No, but teams traveling to the west coast for Thursday/Saturday basketball away game weekends would probably much rather stay in LA for 3 days than to have to also travel to or from Eugene on their day off in between.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The comments by Robbins about Oregon really makes me want to beat a path to the B1G.

If the B1G really values Oregon that highly then it’s an absolute that Oregon will be joining the B1G very soon. The only reason they might stay is the ease to the CFP.

As for the PAC basketball tournament, I think it shows winning it has little impact on your seed or location. I think the committee has locked in those high seeds by the time those games are played and they won’t let one game alter the seasons results. It only matters for bubble teams and play in teams
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:02 am
Merkin wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:41 pm But they needed a travel partner close by so it makes sense

No, but teams traveling to the west coast for Thursday/Saturday basketball away game weekends would probably much rather stay in LA for 3 days than to have to also travel to or from Eugene on their day off in between.
Oh yea, that does make sense. Didn't think about that.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:21 am The comments by Robbins about Oregon really makes me want to beat a path to the B1G.

If the B1G really values Oregon that highly then it’s an absolute that Oregon will be joining the B1G very soon. The only reason they might stay is the ease to the CFP.

As for the PAC basketball tournament, I think it shows winning it has little impact on your seed or location. I think the committee has locked in those high seeds by the time those games are played and they won’t let one game alter the seasons results. It only matters for bubble teams and play in teams
First you have to be wanted, and that doesn't particularly appear to be the case.

Evidently, unlike the Arizona schools and the UC schools, the Oregons and Washingtons each have their own individual board of trustees or regents, which would presumably make it easier to break away from WSU and OSU. But the governors and legislatures still have their say and provide funding to the public schools. I'd assume both WSU and OSU have been lobbying like mad ever since the UCLA/Cal athletics divorce to not be left in the wilderness. Meanwhile, with the common ABOR and legislature, the Arizonas have always been a package deal. For us, I'm sure the attraction is primarily hoops and for ASU, it's their TV market more than anything they've accomplished in sports this millenium. In some ways, other than the travel partner issue, I'd think Utah and Colorado would have more individual flexibility than anybody. I know they'd hate it, but if Utah ever jumped to the Big XII, they could be re-united with BYU as their travel partner.

Completely agree about the conference tournament vs NCAA seeding issues. But, having said that, we have a built-in advantage there, and this particular year, it was kind of fun to have our revenge tour and get the last word with Stanford, ASU, and UCLA. I realize everything's The Dance, but I kind of suspect the Sweet Sixteen was our ceiling this year. Our fans get a little carried away about how they're so personally humiliated and mortified, but time heals all wounds. You can cherry-pick all the first round losses in school history and ignore the overall time line, but that's not how it works.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Just to be clear on the last part. You have to win your first game in a conference tournament, or I believe that'll hurt you in seeding. And this year, we sure didn't want to lose to ASU or UCLA after that. We always want to do as well as we can in the NCAAs. But our banged-up 7-man team this year with the defensive liabilities and streaky outside shooting didn't seem likely to win the necessary gauntlet. If things laid out differently in another year, I could be okay going with the Lute approach after Game 1 in giving the bench guys lots of PT for NCAA tourney experience and letting the chips fall where they may.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:42 pm
azcat49 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:21 am The comments by Robbins about Oregon really makes me want to beat a path to the B1G.

First you have to be wanted, and that doesn't particularly appear to be the case.

Did I read that wrong or did it say, “B1G originally wanted Oregon and USC” sounds to me like they were wanted originally.

Maybe they were only wanted at a half share or USC pulled UCLA in as a travel partner or FOX knew the value of both LA schools from a TV perspective.

It does seem the B1G wanted Oregon and it seems inevitable they will join
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So when are we going to the Big12?

That is the move that protects arizona BB and the AD. Anything else is a slow bleed out
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Again counting on any team besides Kansas being good in the Big 12 is extremely foolish
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:38 am Again counting on any team besides Kansas being good in the Big 12 is extremely foolish
There are a number of historically good teams in that conference and the addition of Arizona would only elevate the reputation of the Big12 and will entice recruits who want to play against teams like Arizona and Kansas.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Get ready for TruTV PAC teams!

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:38 am Again counting on any team besides Kansas being good in the Big 12 is extremely foolish

Baylor has 15 seasons in a row with 18 or more wins, with 9 NCAA tourney appearances in those years, with 2 Sweet 16s and 2 Elite 8s in that time. Is that good?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:28 am
There are a number of historically good teams in that conference and the addition of Arizona would only elevate the reputation of the Big12 and will entice recruits who want to play against teams like Arizona and Kansas.
Kansas is the only school you can count 95+% being good in the future. None of the other ones you can

That is not saying to not go to the Big 12. But counting on Houston, Kansas State, Iowa State and any other team besides maybe Baylor and for sure Kansas being good as part of your rational for going to the Big 12 is extremely foolish
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:35 am
Kansas is the only school you can count 95+% being good in the future. None of the other ones you can

That is not saying to not go to the Big 12. But counting on Houston, Kansas State, Iowa State and any other team besides maybe Baylor and for sure Kansas being good as part of your rational for going to the Big 12 is extremely foolish
Banking on Cal, Stanford, Washington State and Oregon State becoming good and sustaining that level of success is even more foolish. Especially when we are streaming on CSPAN3.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:02 am

Banking on Cal, Stanford, Washington State and Oregon State becoming good and sustaining that level of success is even more foolish. Especially when we are streaming on CSPAN3.
You are completely missing the point
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:40 am

By all means tell me how.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Apropos final 4s since 2000, it behooves us to go pretty much anywhere other than Conference USA if we want to elevate ourselves through competition and exposure. Speaking of exposure, I don't care if I am forced to see Bill Self in assless chaps twice every week if it gets us out of this landfill timezone.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Basketball teams are usually as good as their coach year-over-year. There are very few basketball programs that stay elite coach after coach. Take a look at Florida, for example. Elite under Billy D, but mostly bubble material since then, bowing out of the first round of the NIT this year.

Kansas is elite, and will be even after Self leaves. But Baylor, Houston, and the others? Will they remain elite after their current head coach leaves? Drew certainly has Baylor elite, but will they remain elite after he leaves, or will they follow the Florida model? Drew is only 52, but maybe he wants to try his hand in the NBA one day? Sampson at Houston is 67, and it was a long time between Phi Slamma Jamma and Houston being relevant on a national scale again.

Basketball conferences tend to rotate, and no conference stays on top forever. The ACC leads in all-time tournament victories and championships, and how were they this year? Average, at best. The BIG12 is top dog basketball now, but five years from now? Who's to say? Kansas will likely be good, regardless of coach. But the others?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:47 am

Basketball is so far behind football in terms of importance for realignment. So if you are basing your decision based on basketball and you are basing it off a conference with one historically good program you are a fucking moron
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:04 am Basketball is so far behind football in terms of importance for realignment. So if you are basing your decision based on basketball and you are basing it off a conference with one historically good program you are a fucking moron
:lol:

Is my name Bobby Robbins and no one bothered to tell me?

It’s not my decision. Though Lord I wish it was. Then I’d have us out of the Pac12 so fast it would make keyboard warriors like yourself shit their pants.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:04 am

Basketball is so far behind football in terms of importance for realignment. So if you are basing your decision based on basketball and you are basing it off a conference with one historically good program you are a fucking moron
So, why is Gonzaga being discussed more than Arizona for Big-12 membership?

Pray tell!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

In other words he's trying to say how we shouldn't make a move to the Big12 just based on basketball matchups as if that's the only reason we want the move but the history of this thread would state otherwise. His idea of only KU being good long term is a poor argument. He also didn't explain how much is "long term". 5, 10,15, 20 years?
How good does he think our other possible conference foes will be good long term? SDSU, Oregon, and ummm who else?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

KillerKlown wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:22 am

In other words he's trying to say how we shouldn't make a move to the Big12 just based on basketball matchups as if that's the only reason we want the move but the history of this thread would state otherwise. His idea of only KU being good long term is a poor argument. He also didn't explain how much is "long term". 5, 10,15, 20 years?
How good does he think our other possible conference foes will be good long term? SDSU, Oregon, and ummm who else?
Not at all what I am saying Mike Luke fanboy
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:18 am
PHXCATS wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:04 am

So, why is Gonzaga being discussed more than Arizona for Big-12 membership?

Pray tell!
They don't have football. Can't compare to Arizona

If Gonzaga joins the Big 12 they will get 20% share at absolute best. Likely 10-15%
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:09 am
PHXCATS wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:04 am Basketball is so far behind football in terms of importance for realignment. So if you are basing your decision based on basketball and you are basing it off a conference with one historically good program you are a fucking moron

It’s not my decision. Though Lord I wish it was. Then I’d have us out of the Pac12 so fast it would make keyboard warriors like yourself shit their pants.
Yeah no one here or on podcast or radio has said go to the Big 12 for basketball as their only or primary reason

I never say anything here I wouldnt to someone's face.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:29 am
KillerKlown wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:22 am

Not at all what I am saying Mike Luke fanboy
Explain it to us "casuals" then. I'm also a fan of any one you're extremely bitter towards. They must be doing something right.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:34 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:09 am

Yeah no one here or on podcast or radio has said go to the Big 12 for basketball as their only or primary reason

I never say anything here I wouldnt to someone's face.
Find one person here that says it's there ONLY reason. I dare you. Also, primarily doesn't mean only. Don't move those goal post you ole fuddy duddy.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Most people here are advocating for a move to the Big12 because the Pac10 is dying (which was MY point that you conveniently ignored). The fact that we’d form the best basketball conference probably over the next 3-5 years (at least) is an additional benefit.

Anyone trying to say that the ONLY reason people would want to join the Big12 is because they anticipate K-State and Iowa St being good forever is a fucking moron (and putting really dumb words in peoples’ mouths too). There’s been way more talk about travel and TV/streaming than basketball matchups.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

There are some on this board who have suggested a move to the BIG12 just for basketball purposes is warranted. But when it comes to college conference TV contracts, football is King, Queen, and Prince. And I still doubt the BIG12 contract will be leaps and bound better than what the PAC ends up with. Especially with the news Disney is laying off thousands this week, and Disney President Bob Iger stating ESPN will go Direct To Consumer (read streaming), and it's a matter of when, not if recently. Story originally appeared in the NY Post, but here's a free link: (https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... rthp-feeds) The article makes the prediction that the change will happen within 5 years.

As for the PAC, it's on life support, but it's not dead yet. If Oregon and UW leave, then it will be time to pull the plug. But until then, there's still a chance of long-term survival. Most likely as part of a merge with the ACC. With Clemson, FSU, Oregon, and UW, that's four teams who have made the playoffs. Throw in Miami and Utah, plus schools that have had decent years every now and then like NC State and Arizona, and there's enough fire power at the top to make a competitive TV offer for football. As for basketball, tobacco row may be a little down right now, but that's not likely to remain down for long. And the PAC has Arizona, Oregon, and likely SDSU.

I understand the argument to flee to the BIG12 now, but the reality is an APAC merge with the ACC would likely get us more money then we'd ever get in the BIG12. And with ESPN going full stream likely before the next round of contract negotiations, go BIG12 now, and in a few years, we're right back where we are now. Fighting for scraps from the leaders as they feed the SEC and B1G first.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tick tick George.
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

We going to go with what Clay Travis says now?

Mr Covid will be over in April (he meant 2020) is really the authority now on realignment?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The source is Andrew Marchand. I can't see NY Post articles so posted those tweets that do.

Meanwhile

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Shit, some of us have been saying this for a while. Media(and Disney especially) is hurting and the macro economy is not in a good place. If we made a deal a year ago it would have been much better than now. The Pac-12 is between a rock and a hard place and that won't change in the near future
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:51 am Anyone trying to say that the ONLY reason people would want to join the Big12 is because they anticipate K-State and Iowa St being good forever is a fucking moron (and putting really dumb words in peoples’ mouths too).
Fun with strawmen. It's a thing.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Football will be mediocre no matter what conference we're in. We're a basketball school, so us as fans focusing on the basketball part makes sense.

What exactly are we holding onto with the Pac, basketball wise? Oregon being okay to good depending on the year? Other teams hoping they can upset us if we have an off night? I'll take Kansas being our new UCLA, and the rest of the conference being decent to good competition, which can only help us in March.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

An article by Dan Wetzel (Yahoo) on why PAC teams should stay together and ignore the advances of the BIG12 for now. Posting the link without comment. Please don't shoot the messenger.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-grass- ... 01222.html
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nothing new in there, but you would think he would know that they are called the "4 corner schools".

That mostly centers on the so-called “corner schools” — Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

-Local clinics for the youth ran by coaches - men & womens
-Exhibitions at Rucker Park- men & womens
-Other varieties of entertainment enhancements and community engagements
Last edited by KillerKlown on Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

They have pretty good PG's at Rucker...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wilner goes into detail about the pluses and minuses of SMU coming to the PAC:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/03/23/ ... lyst-says/

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:08 pm They have pretty good PG's at Rucker...
Didn't Kareem say one time the GOAT player was there? Either had legal or academic issues, or both, so never went to college.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:57 pm Wilner goes into detail about the pluses and minuses of SMU coming to the PAC:

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:08 pm They have pretty good PG's at Rucker...
Didn't Kareem say one time the GOAT player was there? Either had legal or academic issues, or both, so never went to college.
He might have been referring to Connie Hawkins who was legendary at Rucker.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:00 pm
Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:57 pm Wilner goes into detail about the pluses and minuses of SMU coming to the PAC:

Could be. Doing Dr J before there was a Dr J.

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:19 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:00 pm

Great book “Foul” written about him. Also, his hands were huge. I think bigger than Dr. J and Wilt.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wilner really losing it here.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:19 pm

Man, I used to LOVE watching Connie Hawkins. The only reason I would watch pro ball.

Did you catch how he postered Kareem in that video. Well he postered just about everybody, of course, but he made Kareem look like an 8th grader in that shot.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.