Formerly Lynx Rufus.
3goggles

Re: Coach Rod

Post by 3goggles »

For the first time I am on board
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

This season is so pathetic you have to get rid of RR regardless of cost. His time is done, no question about it.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Could we fire him at half? Give the team over to one of the defensive guys.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He ain't going anywhere
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:He ain't going anywhere
It wont matter because everyone is already fed up with product on the field.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

cordera89 wrote:
It wont matter because everyone is already fed up with product on the field.
Your wrong but we all want him gone
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thought I read that Greg Byrne is traveling with the team. Going to be a long flight home for RichRod.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Buckle up kiddos, going to be a solid 5 years back to .500. At best.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I honestly don't see a bowl game in this teams future for another 2 or 3 seasons at least. And everyone makes a bowl game.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Im not even laughing anymore. This is freaking embarrassing and its going to get worse, a lot worse. I think you have to get rid of RR this year, I dont know how you have a choice? I think the best outcome is recruits start to decommit and go to RR and say take 50% now or be fired next year no matter what?
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

The team gave up weeks ago. Most (Even me to a certain extent) just wanted to pretend they didn't.

I remember when I was torn to shreds by some when I told everyone that Rich Rod's offense can be great but it can also be terrible if you don't get the right talent, and if it becomes one dimensional (whether by injury or by lack of talent). This offense has to have the right types of players, there is no just winging it. The lack of talent on that side of the ball is just mind boggling. Then you add the fact that guys flat out make stupid stupid mistakes. Nice flip to the sideline by Anu when all he had to do was fall down forward for a first down. Yikes.

Of course the real reason I knew this garbage was going to happen was because the vaunted 3-3-5 and every surrounding idea it's coaches implement are complete bullshit. You may get away with it every once in awhile in smaller leagues, but you can't recruit top players to it, you can't get top notch blitzers to come to it, and frankly Rich Rod can't recruit great defensive backs, and his boner for walk-ons is insanely detrimental to his teams. Yes you may find a few good ones here and there, but they are few and far between. It's a defensive philosophy that scientifically makes no sense to me personally, and history will show that 3-3-5 defenses put you behind your opponents constantly. Especially when you miss constantly on the recruiting trail, and the teams you play are big boy teams with actual abilities and actual talent.

Of course the very first day, I poo poo'd that shitty defense and got lit on fire for it. IT FUCKING SUCKS! IT WILL ALWAYS SUCK! Then of course Rich Rod fires his crappy buddies, and hires guys who are still running the same principals, the same garbage. There is no fixing what players won't come to play, and what players won't play well. It's just so damn frustrating watching the babies trying to put the square peg in the round hole year after year after year. I don't get why fans are okay with it, even if it means New Mexico Bowl x 3, Top 3 Bowl x 1, New Mexico Bowl x 3.... We can do better than that. We can finish at least at Sun Bowl level constantly... 8 wins year in and year out in today's college football landscape at Arizona isn't some insane proposition.

9 million.... Aching buttholes everywhere....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Losing the local sports guys.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

I think its time to pull a haden and leave him on the runway at TIA?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The game has passed him by.

He's trying to chase the magic from his younger days, but they ain't coming back.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Why didn't we hire leach again?

He is a true innovator.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Why didn't we hire leach again?

He is a true innovator.
Well would you take him after the fiasco that happen Texas Tech.
BibbysTowelDude

I know Leach was in the top 3 on my list when the Rich Rod hire went down. Rich Rod wasn't on the list of course. Mainly because anybody who doesn't win at Michigan has HUGE problems, and hiring guys after hitting the announcer business isn't something I'd do unless it was someone with major clout and talent collecting abilities, and of course a track record of winning big everywhere he/she's been.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Oh boy...
Last edited by uacat540 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:I know Leach was in the top 3 on my list when the Rich Rod hire went down. Rich Rod wasn't on the list of course. Mainly because anybody who doesn't win at Michigan has HUGE problems, and hiring guys after hitting the announcer business isn't something I'd do unless it was someone with major clout and talent collecting abilities, and of course a track record of winning big everywhere he/she's been.
And I'm sure you felt the same way 2 years ago. :roll:
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Slow clap....
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
BibbysTowelDude

Irish27 wrote:
BibbysTowelDude wrote:I know Leach was in the top 3 on my list when the Rich Rod hire went down. Rich Rod wasn't on the list of course. Mainly because anybody who doesn't win at Michigan has HUGE problems, and hiring guys after hitting the announcer business isn't something I'd do unless it was someone with major clout and talent collecting abilities, and of course a track record of winning big everywhere he/she's been.
And I'm sure you felt the same way 2 years ago. :roll:

I wasn't upset, but anyone with a clue knew it was a mirage.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

National pundits taking note.

uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

#lanekiffin-Richrod.

AKA leave him on runway.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

The wheels have officially fallen off
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Merkin wrote:
RIchRow now has 2 of the top 5 historically of the entire program history. Yikes. We're talking 1920s bad here. Turns out it wasn't all Michigan's fault his defense sucked there too. And in 2016 you can't run your quarterback so much as we think we can, he's gonna get hurt or get concussed, 100% of the time. You have to protect him more.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

uacat540 wrote:#lanekiffin-Richrod.

AKA leave him on runway.
You want to negotiate a buyout. Doing that to him might be a multi million dollar mistake.

Not saying he doesn't deserve it, though.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Working on calling up ol' Arte and Jimmy C, hoping they had some extra mills in the pillow cases.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

:D
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chief could take over Special Teams and do a better job. Worst special teams I have seen in quite some time. And this with Stoops not giving a shit about ST either.

Makes me really miss Tomey, cared about defense and special teams.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

OMG that is hilarious. So chief didn't get the job and he has spent the last 4 years putting a knife in RR'S back. RR made the right choice at least from a character standpoint
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote:Chief could take over Special Teams and do a better job. Worst special teams I have seen in quite some time. And this with Stoops not giving a shit about ST either.

Makes me really miss Tomey, cared about defense and special teams.
How many years have you and I been talking to each other about teams now? Stretches out over a decade at this point?

It's just amazing that coaches just don't care about them.

A chunk of Beamer's success at VTech is due to his precision on special teams, but people can't seem to figure it out for some reason.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Especially when Joe Rob, the SEC ST coach of the year, called up Arizona and asked for a job, and RichRod said "no thanks".
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:Especially when Joe Rob, the SEC ST coach of the year, called up Arizona and asked for a job, and RichRod said "no thanks".
And when was this? When did this coach call Arizona about ST job and RR said no.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

First year here. Pretty well documented
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He was totally hoping to leave Arizona after last season.

now his rep is in the toilet.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:He was totally hoping to leave Arizona after last season.

now his rep is in the toilet.
Agreed CST. I lost a lot of faith in RR when he interviewed for the South Carolina gig.....got bashed for it by some on the board...with the argument that it's a 'job' and he has all the right to look for better opportunities, etc.

My point was that his interviewing for the SC gig so early in his tenure here was a clear sign of his lack of loyalty to the program (and yes, I know it's a job but it's a good job with very good pay).....people who are happy with their current job don't normally interview unless they are serious about leaving.....and recruits aren't stupid. My biggest concern was that his flirtation with SC would send strong signals to recruits about his lack of / or low level of commitment to Arizona.

Go ahead and criticize my rationale for this but please do so in a constructive way...not the 'you're an idiot' kind of garbage normally spewed by Hater, etc.

Painful times at our beloved Arizona. BTFD.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If he can't get fired with cause, and he won't negotiate a lesser buyout, stick him with next season's team. Make him a lame-duck coach and see how fast he'll want to skip town in the middle of the night.

He has sold out this program for a big payday and, with some legendary underrecruiting to brand-new facilities installed just for him, will go down in coaching history as one of college football's most notorious carpetbaggers.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

catgrad97 wrote:If he can't get fired with cause, and he won't negotiate a lesser buyout, stick him with next season's team.
:lol:

You got it. That's the leverage you have over him in those buyout negotiations. The threat isn't that you're going to fire him; the threat is you'll make him come back and destroy the last of his reputation.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

How much do a couple of hookers and a photographer go for in Corvallis, Oregon?

Roll Tide Roll.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

I don't blame anyone for wanting to get rid of Rich Rod but I haven't given up on him. With a healthy team I think we make it to a bowl easily. 2 years of being the most injured team in CFB, new defense and d coaches, and the South Carolina debacle (I don't blame RR, I would explore my options as well) have really hurt this team. We have a highly rated class coming in next year and that's with a partial recruiting cycle for the new coaches, we should be able to add some depth, and guys will get more comfortable with the system. As far as the offense, think back to what a healthy oline, anu and nick Wilson were able to accomplish. I'm willing to give RR a few more years. If we're to fire and hire it would be a rebuilding process with an unknown commodity. At least we know RR will coach his ass off, just needs to hit on a few recruits.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

LOL, that healthy combo got us 15 points in the 4th quarter against BYU.

That Oline with Stoops guys has long since graduated. We now start 2 walk on's on the OLINE (DeBeer and Boetcher) and no other power 5 team can do that and expect to win.

RR needs to pack his bags and go back to helping Rita make her nacho dip
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Note the lack of development too in offensive players.

Has any UA QB regressed more than Solomon, outside of maybe Ortege Jenkins?

Dawkins and Tate, certainly not Power 5 level QBs.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Like I said, I can't fault anyone for wanting him gone. But against Byu our starting center had just died in his sleep, so we weren't healthy, especially mentally. If dawkins could complete a pass we beat UW. Second string qb, 3rd string rb who went out in the 2nd quarter and moving pieces on the o line took uw to OT. You could argue that was a make it or break it moment for the team. I just find it hard to believe we will find a better coach than RR. We may find a better recruiter, but I would argue that would be more frustrating. I.E. sark, kiffin, mora. I know I stand alone on this and will take some flack but that's okay. I guess I'm just an optimist.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Merkin wrote:Note the lack of development too in offensive players.

Has any UA QB regressed more than Solomon, outside of maybe Ortege Jenkins?

Dawkins and Tate, certainly not Power 5 level QBs.
I agree with Dawkins, and Tate is just too new for me to make that assumption. I agree Solomon has regressed but I would also point to his injuries. It seemed last year when he would shake off his fear of getting another concussion he would play great, and then get injured again. i will agree that we need bigger wr. That is a legitimate concern of mine going forward.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

We gave stoops 7.5 years who I would argue was a worse coach. So I'm willing to give RR that much, hell we have nothing to lose.
az91

Post by az91 »

I cannot imagine the university being willing or able to pay the buyout to get rid of him. Byrne would also have to admit the hiring was a colossal mistake to fire him now. I think he gets at least another two years.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

az91 wrote:
I cannot imagine the university being willing or able to pay the buyout to get rid of him. Byrne would also have to admit the hiring was a colossal mistake to fire him now. I think he gets at least another two years.
A colossal mistake in what ways. That you think byrne hired the wrong coach because the laughing stock of the conference with 2-7 overall and winless in conference play. Oh please what the real reason byrne hired RR, because I know he didn't hired because of Michigan disaster or 7 great season he had at WVU or maybe he hired him because he had coaching experience, something stoop didn't have. We can bitch, Moan, complain, disagree etc. We all know that byrne isn't going to jump gun on decision. It RR first losing season. He be the coach next season.