Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Coach Rod

Post by Merkin »

Saw Scheer tweeting yesterday about a possible Cincy opening.

I do think that UA will have to pay Cincy to take him though, by somehow paying part of his salary.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Can't believe Cincy would have interest in RR? Did Scherr hint at that or is he hoping as well?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

God, id be so happy, If i was byrne, id offer to wave his buyout and let him walk. We still end up with the better end of the deal. Also, i know it would be greasy but i want Kiffen. Hes honestly no worse than our current used cars salesman but at least he can recruit and he will want to do nothing but destroy SC all day, every day.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Bah...so bad. I was so wrong with this guy.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I know I'm in the minority, at least currently, but I still like Richrod...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Olsondogg wrote:I know I'm in the minority, at least currently, but I still like Richrod...
I'd be perfectly happy for him to succeed, but Jesus.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BearDown89 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I know I'm in the minority, at least currently, but I still like Richrod...
I'd be perfectly happy for him to succeed, but Jesus.
My feelings exactly.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I think a lot of people around here still like the guy. Whether he can still effectively coach a major program is a different question.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My thoughts too.

RichRod is tired, and it shows.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Puerco wrote:I think a lot of people around here still like the guy. Whether he can still effectively coach a major program is a different question.
I agree.

Merkin, RR will keep punching the time clock, and getting paid. He knows this is his last rodeo.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Puerco wrote:I think a lot of people around here still like the guy. Whether he can still effectively coach a major program is a different question.
Count me in that crowd. I think you're seeing someone come to the realization that what worked for a long time doesn't work anymore. That, coupled with the recruiting drop off, kinda created the perfect storm.

Football evolves. Defensive coordinators eventually catch up with what the offensive innovators are doing. RR has had a lot of success with the hurry up offense and the zone read, but defenses have adjusted. I do see signs of him making tweaks to change things up a bit, but he doesn't have the personnel to effectively match up now. It's an offense that can still work - but you need a bigger, faster, stronger type of guy to run this than you did a few years ago. You can't easily run teams off the field like you did before; the 2012-14 years featured teams that were often strongest in the fourth quarter when the opposition was wearing out. With the offense running rampant it left openings for a defense to get opportunistic against teams trying to keep up. It's getting harder to out-scheme more talented teams because the talent level has gone up across the board.

He knows this. He knows there's no fast fix because he needs two solid recruiting classes to turn this around, and that's gonna be an uphill battle. It's going to be a race against time for him to get the players he needs and to get wins out of them next year.

As I said, I do like RichRod, but there's not much sand left in the hourglass. Next year is his chance to show he still has it.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:My thoughts too.

RichRod is tired, and it shows.

My thoughts exactly. :D
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

chief is one of the biggest "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME I NEED ATTENTION" chodes this board has ever seen.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUHATER! wrote:chief is one of the biggest "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME I NEED ATTENTION" chodes this board has ever seen.
You being the other?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Olsondogg wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:chief is one of the biggest "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME I NEED ATTENTION" chodes this board has ever seen.
You being the other?
not even in the same galaxy close. i'm probably the opposite of that. but whatever makes you feel better?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Well hello to you as well. Happy Thanksgiving! This board hasn't seen too much from the looks of it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
And that his seat is hotter than Nina Dobrev...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
Well, on the bright side, we can't win any fewer Pac 12 games next year.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azgreg wrote:

And how many Pac 12 game do you think we need to next year because I have a hard time looking at that.

All we need to healthy.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

This roster if healthy may, may have won two PAC games. The PAC has improved with CU and WSU. The only easy outs seem to be OSU, ASU, and us.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cordera89 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azgreg wrote:

And how many Pac 12 game do you think we need to next year because I have a hard time looking at that.

All we need to healthy.
If I were Byrne?

I'd be looking at Charlie Strong. Good guy, good coach stuck in a bad situation. Also about to get a massive buyout that would hopefully cushion the financial blow of firing RR.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azgreg wrote:

All we need to healthy.
If I were Byrne?

I'd be looking at Charlie Strong. Good guy, good coach stuck in a bad situation. Also about to get a massive buyout that would hopefully cushion the financial blow of firing RR.
Or why don't we hired him to help out our defense as co DC.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Why don't people board the Titanic after it hits the iceberg?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azgreg wrote:

All we need to healthy.
If I were Byrne?

I'm guessing Strong won't get a job right away and will have to take a year off (like RR did), so we can slow play this and see if there is any positive momentum next year that would justify keeping RR around. If not, Byrne can fire RR mid-season, then hire Strong ninja-style. AKA - a complete repeat of the Stoops situation.

Les Miles is also out there. I'd put feelers out there and see if there is any interest now. If so, fire RR and hire Les. No need to wait and see how next year turns out. But I'm guessing that's already happened and there was no interest, which is why RR will likely head into next season as our coach.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Strong and Miles are both (probably) going to cost big money. For example, if I remember correctly, Strong was making $3.5M...at Louisville.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote:Strong and Miles are both (probably) going to cost big money. For example, if I remember correctly, Strong was making $3.5M...at Louisville.
Strong has a 10 million buyout. That's why I would hope we could get in without breaking the bank, because he's about to get paid 3x a usual salary.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SCCats wrote:Strong and Miles are both (probably) going to cost big money. For example, if I remember correctly, Strong was making $3.5M...at Louisville.
Strong has a 10 million buyout. That's why I would hope we could get in without breaking the bank, because he's about to get paid 3x a usual salary.
Yeah I hear you on that, but it's also a "hope."

Like "I hope he will take less money and come to Arizona." *big smile*

It might be worth a quick phone call, but you probably don't want to spend too much time chasing, particularly if it's keeping you from spending the time you need on other viable candidates.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah I hear you on that, but it's also a "hope."

Like "I hope he will take less money and come to Arizona." *big smile*

It might be worth a quick phone call, but you probably don't want to spend too much time chasing, particularly if it's keeping you from spending the time you need on other viable candidates.
That's why I was thinking if the idea is that RR is probably back, you make that phone call on the down low. If it doesn't pan out, you proceed with the guy you were probably going with from the get go.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Does Strong have in his contract he needs to mitigate damages by looking for a job if he gets fired without cause?

RichRod does not.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Yes Texas can deduct 50% on any NEW Charlie Strong salary at new job. Meaning Strong would have to get somewhere around $3.5M a year to break even getting not getting a new job and still be paid $5M a year for 2 years.

I don't think UA going to pay Strong $3.5M or more and keep RR.

Now that Yates has some on field and off-field baggage not sure he would easily get another job at $500K. Meaning UA still on the hook to pay the DC that until end of next season (Magee too)

I'm still interested in what people think needs to happen off-season. Maybe needs to be it's own thread. IDK. But I just don't believe it's just recruiting lapse. If it is, who evaluated them and offered? S&C? Fire/Hire other areas?

If it's just recruiting, I personally don't believe that such a HUG GAPING hole and drop-off from 2014 happened without no one on staff recognizing it back in 2013-2014. I mean it's not just a little worse, it's canyon's drop-off. If they did recognize it before, why didn't anyone sound the alarm then? We're talking winning the South to being Historically bad in JUST two years. More changes I would think need to happen? just what?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Yes Texas can deduct 50% on any NEW Charlie Strong salary at new job. Meaning Strong would have to get somewhere around $3.5M a year to break even getting not getting a new job and still be paid $5M a year for 2 years.

Now that Yates has some on field and off-field baggage not sure he would easily get another job at $500K. Meaning UA still on the hook to pay the DC that until end of next season (Magee too)

I'm still interested in what people think needs to happen off-season. Maybe needs to be it's own thread. IDK. But I just don't believe it's just recruiting lapse. If it is, who evaluated them and offered? S&C? Fire/Hire other areas?

If it's just recruiting, I personally don't believe that such a HUG GAPING hole and drop-off from 2014 happened without no one on staff recognizing it back in 2013-2014. I mean it's not just a little worse, it's canyon's drop-off. If they did recognize it before, why didn't anyone sound the alarm then? We're talking winning the South to being Historically bad in JUST two years. More changes I would think need to happen? just what?
I would think he would need 2.5 to be even and more to improve on just hanging out.

http://sports.newsday.com/long-island/d ... rodriguez/" target="_blank

If this is still current, RR is making more than 2.5 with base salary plus automatic raises and benefits. I would think it would be doable without losing much. Does Strong want to be back in the game ASAP? No clue.

Edit: also, if that is still current, we are going to pay RR $375,000 in bonus money next week.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Way I understood Texas contract: If Strong got new job at $2.5M, Texas obligated to pay Strong another $1.25M (50% new salary). Strong would then be making $3.75M.

If Strong didn't get a job, Texas would be obligated to pay Strong $5M or Strong could just get paid more to have no job.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Way I understood Texas contract: If Strong got new job at $2.5M, Texas obligated to pay Strong another $1.25M (50% new salary). Strong would then be making $3.75M.

If Strong didn't get a job, Texas would be obligated to pay Strong $5M or Strong could just get paid more to have no job.
Sorry, when you said they can deduct 50%, I thouht you meant deduct 50% from the buyout total. I didn't independently look at the buyout terms for Strong.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Rr is getting bonused for what?

So this Yates thing is a big deal, saw the article link but I didn't click because I thought it sounded like a puff piece but maybe I should go check it out.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Yes Texas can deduct 50% on any NEW Charlie Strong salary at new job. Meaning Strong would have to get somewhere around $3.5M a year to break even getting not getting a new job and still be paid $5M a year for 2 years.

We won the south by riding two hail marys. The chances of winning two games like that in ine sason are astonomically low, so the high bar that was set by good luck in 2013 makes us look even worse now.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

How about htis for development

2012 class 24 inked and 3 are left in the program and 7 contributed
2013 25 inked and 10 have contributed
2014 28 inked and 9 have contributed
2015 25 inked and 9 have contributed
2016 20 inked and a few have played, probably too early yet

Terrible, terrible development. Recruiting isn't an experiment RR it's you life blood. We basically have about 30 players and most of thiose are not very good. Certainly non of them are all conference types.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Wow. Even most 5A-6A conference high schools in Arizona can't compete with just 30 decent bodies.

It will be difficult not to conclude after this week that RR turned out to be the Ben Lindsey of the football program.

How did he BS the AD into the turf conversion? Absolutely dishonorable.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dissension in the locker room?

http://allsportstucson.com/2016/11/22/s ... eak-links/" target="_blank

“I guess this season has taught me to not give up,” he said. “But I had that in me.”

He did. Too many of his teammates didn’t.

Grant is a senior, this is his last game, and he definitely has the floor to speak his mind.

How would he turn around this program? Start by giving some guys the boot.

“I mean, if you get rid of the weak links, that’s what it is,” he said.

“That’s just being honest. I can see it myself. It’s a lot of people who don’t love the game, and you can’t play college football if you don’t love it, or else you’re just going to be average, and that’s kind of a waste of time — a waste of our time for the players who love it to have to be playing on a team who doesn’t love it.”
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That's what happens in a losing locker room. Some guys check out. But I'd say most often its the losing that results in the poor attitude, not the other way around. No one starts a season saying, "Eh, I'll just go through the motions..."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:That's what happens in a losing locker room. Some guys check out. But I'd say most often its the losing that results in the poor attitude, not the other way around. No one starts a season saying, "Eh, I'll just go through the motions..."
It's the same reason fans bailed on the Colorado game. When you suck and the "here we go again" vibe starts, it's human nature. It just has a tendency to sap energy and focus.

People play for other reasons than just the love. When you're getting your ass kicked regularly, those other reasons start to fade and it's more about who just loves it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:That's what happens in a losing locker room. Some guys check out. But I'd say most often its the losing that results in the poor attitude, not the other way around. No one starts a season saying, "Eh, I'll just go through the motions..."
It's the same reason fans bailed on the Colorado game. When you suck and the "here we go again" vibe starts, it's human nature. It just has a tendency to sap energy and focus.

People play for other reasons than just the love. When you're getting your ass kicked regularly, those other reasons start to fade and it's more about who just loves it.
Exactly. I'm a late-30s-something couch potato and I can't muster the energy to sit on my ass and watch a game. I am in no way surprised that there are some kids who aren't 100% invested mind, body, & soul in making sure this team finishes 3-9 instead of 2-10.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't think RichRod is pushing the rivalry angle. When you are 1-3 here, and 0-6 at UM that tends to be something you want to not think about.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I agree with this wholeheartedly... but even for those who truly love the game, they play to win.

Getting your ass handed to you on a weekly basis can frequently do one of 2 things: 1) Sap all your energy and belief 2) Force you to press to hard and play tight (see Mike Stoops)... no matter how much you may love the sport itself.

Any kids on that team that can stay 100% engaged and motivated, without pressing too hard, have a maturity that extends well beyond their years - and that trait will serve them very well in life.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Just for something different. Fyi, I think Shaw was the only D1 coach to not answer. :lol: I think I like Shaw more now.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Image

Just for something different. Fyi, I think Shaw was the only D1 coach to not answer. :lol: I think I like Shaw more now.
Least surprising - Leach, followed by Graham

Most surprising - Helfrich
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Shaw probably likes Michael Bolton or Nickelback.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Image

Least surprising - Leach, followed by Graham

Most surprising - Helfrich
Really? I'll be honest, I didn't really think The Cars would come up in this survey.

I do feel closer to Chris Petersen now, though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Shaw probably likes Michael Bolton or Nickelback.
You could convince me that David Shaw prefers white noise or ambient sounds to listening to music.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Def the bottom 3 are some of my favorites.

Saw CCR (minus the Fogerties) at the free show at the fair last summer. Like they said, they rocked CCR better than Fogerty does.

Also saw Hootie and the Blowfish a few years ago at a business convention, not my favorite band but they were good so I can kind of see Helton's pick.