Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: Coach Rod

Post by Harvey Specter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Image

Just for something different. Fyi, I think Shaw was the only D1 coach to not answer. :lol: I think I like Shaw more now.
Least surprising - Leach, followed by Graham

Most surprising - Helfrich
Really? I'll be honest, I didn't really think The Cars would come up in this survey.

I do feel closer to Chris Petersen now, though.
Anderson and the Cars would be #2 on the most surprising for me... But a distant 2nd. Maybe because I was a child of the 80's and remember them well.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:Def the bottom 3 are some of my favorites.

Saw CCR (minus the Fogerties) at the free show at the fair last summer. Like they said, they rocked CCR better than Fogerty does.

Also saw Hootie and the Blowfish a few years ago at a business convention, not my favorite band but they were good so I can kind of see Helton's pick.
Darius Rucker is now a solo country-western artist... so that is probably where Helton was aiming with his pick.

I don't care for country music at all - but I think Rucker has a great voice... well suited to different types of music.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:Shaw probably likes Michael Bolton or Nickelback.
Who doesn't?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:Shaw probably likes Michael Bolton or Nickelback.
Who doesn't?

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This forum really needs a 'like' button.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

First of all, to give credit where it is due - great job by the coaches and team tonight to come out fired up to give ASU a beatdown. If we were only going to win 1 conf game this season - this would be the one that I wanted. Great way to finish!

That said, if I had to hear one more announcer (first FS1, now ESPN) fellate RR during a game I would have gouged my eyes out.

"You know Rich Rod's contract is up at the end of next season, and I think it is time for him to get an extension... I know it has been a tough year, but he has his son Rhett coming in next year to play for him..."

I am not sure whether to laugh or throw my remote through the screen of my TV...

PS - Byrne - if you were listening, now is not the time for an extension - despite a terrific win tonight.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

7 wins or he's out next year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

It was a bad tempe team. Still on notice but now I'll buy him a beer
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Harvey Specter wrote:First of all, to give credit where it is due - great job by the coaches and team tonight to come out fired up to give ASU a beatdown. If we were only going to win 1 conf game this season - this would be the one that I wanted. Great way to finish!

That said, if I had to hear one more announcer (first FS1, now ESPN) fellate RR during a game I would have gouged my eyes out.

"You know Rich Rod's contract is up at the end of next season, and I think it is time for him to get an extension... I know it has been a tough year, but he has his son Rhett coming in next year to play for him..."

I am not sure whether to laugh or throw my remote through the screen of my TV...

PS - Byrne - if you were listening, now is not the time for an extension - despite a terrific win tonight.
Answer is throw the remote. Guy was high from whatever was in that cake. You don't give a contract extension after the worst season in recent memory just because we beat our rival. It's a start. But guy was loco.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Give him an extension!!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

its only business, lets see how next season goes.

dead man walking.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I think it is fair to say RR does care.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

still needs to win 7-8 games with a bowl (preferably a winning regular season record of 7-5) to keep him if it were me as AD. another losing season of any kind and he should be gone.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It isn't even about how the season ends, it's about how it begins. Start out 1-5 or 2-4 and it's adios muchacho. But beat Houston, UTEP, and at least one PAC-12 game in the first three and we might be talking about an in-season extension. Gotta get that momentum going...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:It isn't even about how the season ends, it's about how it begins. Start out 1-5 or 2-4 and it's adios muchacho. But beat Houston, UTEP, and at least one PAC-12 game in the first three and we might be talking about an in-season extension. Gotta get that momentum going...
yeah true. we start 2-4 or 1-5 like you say and he should be gone then.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:I think it is fair to say RR does care.
Yep, about his own ass and his paycheck. That's about it.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

This program won't have the horses to do that IMHO Chi.

Announcers air-dropped in that recommend a head coach get a contract extension based on a one-trick game should shampoo my crotch.

Does anyone really think some kind of new blueprint for a winning program was laid down last night?

Sure, I'm loving that we have bragging rights over Toad for a year, but that doesn't magically elevate this program out of the sh*thouse. No greater proof than last night that you'll never be out of a job in this country as long as you know how to play the media.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:
I think he cares about winning... all coaches do.

He wants the program to succeed while he is here... so he can protect the 2 considerations you have highlighted above.

Win big again in Tucson and people will not hate him... but the only way he is ever loved is if he does that and shuns advances from more elite programs. If he is not committed to UA with Rhett coming on board, then he never will (or would have).
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

catgrad97 wrote:This program won't have the horses to do that IMHO Chi.

Announcers air-dropped in that recommend a head coach get a contract extension based on a one-trick game should shampoo my crotch.

Does anyone really think some kind of new blueprint for a winning program was laid down last night?

Sure, I'm loving that we have bragging rights over Toad for a year, but that doesn't magically elevate this program out of the sh*thouse. No greater proof than last night that you'll never be out of a job in this country as long as you know how to play the media.
Give it rest ,it not a big freaky deal of what the announcers said on RR needed a contract extension after winning the game and getting first conference victory and avoiding a winless conference record.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
I think he cares about winning... all coaches do.

He wants the program to succeed while he is here... so he can protect the 2 considerations you have highlighted above.

Win big again in Tucson and people will not hate him... but the only way he is ever loved is if he does that and shuns advances from more elite programs. If he is not committed to UA with Rhett coming on board, then he never will (or would have).
Agreed, although I think he was alluding to the rivalry and I don't think he gives 2 shits past the fact that if he lost this year, then the heat would really be on him. Going to be interesting with Rhett Rod. You know the old adage about if your the coaches son you better be the best or the worst player on the team.

He will know the offense better than any QB on the roster next year and beyond but in no way is he close to being the superior athlete to BB, Dawkins or Tate.

If it is execution he is looking for you would have to think we might see Rhett at some point in his career
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Rhett is a good QB, I don't think he's got D1 size, but he's only going cost a 1/4 scholly. It's not a bad deal for a back up QB.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So how did CFHS do today in the state game?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:So how did CFHS do today in the state game?

Got their heads handed to them by Saguaro again.
-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The school we can't get a recruit from? To bad. Wasn't Sabino Also playing for a "ship"
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:The school we can't get a recruit from? To bad. Wasn't Sabino Also playing for a "ship"
Yep, playing right now.
-JB
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Unbelievable to me that some here would want Strong if RR was sent packing... A guy who can't win at Texas is not winning at Arizona. I said the same thing about hiring a "guy who could not win at Michigan" and was told repeatedly I really needed to read "3 & Out". Sure... I'll get right on it.

Texas recruiting class is currently ranked 74th. Ever been to Austin? Ever seen UT's resources?

No Thanks.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Harvey Specter wrote:Unbelievable to me that some here would want Strong if RR was sent packing... A guy who can't win at Texas is not winning at Arizona. I said the same thing about hiring a "guy who could not win at Michigan" and was told repeatedly I really needed to read "3 & Out". Sure... I'll get right on it.

Texas recruiting class is currently ranked 74th. Ever been to Austin? Ever seen UT's resources?

No Thanks.
All a moot point anyways as Rich isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:Unbelievable to me that some here would want Strong if RR was sent packing... A guy who can't win at Texas is not winning at Arizona. I said the same thing about hiring a "guy who could not win at Michigan" and was told repeatedly I really needed to read "3 & Out". Sure... I'll get right on it.

No Thanks.
All a moot point anyways as Rich isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Very true... although a lot of the talk was about him taking a year off and then grabbing him after next season.

I think I saw someone suggest he might end up at Oregon... no way can I see that happening.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

So, who is RR flirting with this offseason? West Virginia again? Some where in Florida?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

OSUCat wrote:So, who is RR flirting with this offseason? West Virginia again? Some where in Florida?
And who going to hired him after a 3-9 record? Nobody.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cincy has been mentioned a few times. RichRod has shown he is not a Power 5 coach. UA will of course have to help pay his salary there, but cheaper than firing him.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

cordera89 wrote:
OSUCat wrote:So, who is RR flirting with this offseason? West Virginia again? Some where in Florida?
And who going to hired him after a 3-9 record? Nobody.
Bah, plenty similar schools would. Blame it on the injuries (like half of the fan base already does) and say you won the pac-12 south, and you have some type of justification needed to talk to RR. I'm sure there will be one eastern school that will. And we know that RR will listen and fly out.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:Cincy has been mentioned a few times. RichRod has shown he is not a Power 5 coach. UA will of course have to help pay his salary there, but cheaper than firing him.
RR is not power 5 coach of what reasons? Were not a powerhouse or elite. That just excuse I'm hearing.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Because his recruiting philosophy is flawed. He doesn't recruit "grown ass men". He recruits smallish guys and he values quickness but that is why he sucks against UCLA, USC, FURD, OHIO ST, MICHIGAN ST and any other power team he faces.

He put in the turf to show off that speed and use it to his advantage but his small guys get chopped up like wood. Also when you play those power teams that 1/10th of a second faster doesn't mean much.

He will be a great 6-6 average at best coach if he stays in a power 5 conference. A conference like Cincy is in would really work for him, much like West Virginia did
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^Well said J!
cordera89 wrote:
Merkin wrote:Cincy has been mentioned a few times. RichRod has shown he is not a Power 5 coach. UA will of course have to help pay his salary there, but cheaper than firing him.
RR is not power 5 coach of what reasons? Were not a powerhouse or elite. That just excuse I'm hearing.
Michigan is a powerhouse and elite. How well did RichRod work out there?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Because his recruiting philosophy is flawed. He doesn't recruit "grown ass men". He recruits smallish guys and he values quickness but that us why is sucks against UCLA, USC, FURD, OHIO ST, MICHIGAN ST and anynither power team he faces.

He put in the turf to show off that speed and use it to his advantage but his small guys get chopped up like wood. Also when you play those power teams that 1/10th of a second faster for doesn't mean much.

He will be a great 6-6 average at best coach if he stats in a power 5 conference. A conference like Cincy is in would really work for him, much like West Virginia did
He talks about how much he values speed and quickness - so many assume that is what our roster includes... but the reality does not match the rhetoric.

Our team speed is not very good... certainly nothing special.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:^Well said J!
cordera89 wrote:
And how well did Michigan support him thru three year unlike us in five year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cordera89 wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Always an excuse...

Did you see that the UA led the PAC in rushing, even with their top 3 RBs out? Dawkins missed setting the single season rushing record for UA QBs by less than 10 yards.

What injury excuse?

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
You bringing that up is highly ironic... I think it is very safe to say now that Michigan did not make a mistake in firing him - even if they replaced him with the wrong guy. Look what he has done with UA once he had all his personnel in the program.

Harbaugh is in his SECOND year at Michigan. We will see how year 3 goes.

I think we know enough now to stop believing that everybody else was to blame for his abject failure there.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Up until we beat the scum, AZ was one of only two teams in the country to be winless in conference. Obviously that is hard to do.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
You bringing that up is highly ironic... I think it is very safe to say now that Michigan did not make a mistake in firing him - even if they replaced him with the wrong guy. Look what he has done with UA once he had all his personnel in the program.

Harbaugh is in his SECOND year at Michigan. We will see how year 3 goes.

I think we know enough now to stop believing that everybody else was to blame for his abject failure there.
Harvey like I said, How well did Michigan support RR during his three year their compare to us in five year.

Harbaugh didn't walk into a situation were Michigan was Hot Garbages, He was left a full roster of top talent across board from Brady Hoke recruits. RR on other hand with Arizona? Little to nothing at best from Stoop Recruits, But he manage it by pulling off back to back 8 win season, a 10 win season, Injuries riddle season kept us from improving and the one losing season we have now.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That is some basackwards thinking. The reason he won 8 8 and 10 is BECAUSE he had Stoops left over talent which was better than what RR has recruited to date
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:That is some basackwards thinking. The reason he won 8 8 and 10 is BECAUSE he had Stoops left over talent which was better than what RR has recruited to date
Kadeem mutha frickin Carey was a Stoops' recruit! Same with Scooby Wright, Shaq Richardson, Marquis Flowers and so on.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No sh#t Merk! Matt Scott, Reggie Gilbert, Dan Pettinato, Bondo, Baucus Ebelle. Any of those guys would have made a huge difference. Put them on the field together and then you really are good compared to what we have witnessed this year
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Don't forget Matt Scott and Denker!!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
azcat49 wrote:That is some basackwards thinking. The reason he won 8 8 and 10 is BECAUSE he had Stoops left over talent which was better than what RR has recruited to date
Kadeem mutha frickin Carey was a Stoops' recruit! Same with Scooby Wright, Shaq Richardson, Marquis Flowers and so on.
Not Scooby Merk. He's RR/Casteel
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Not Scooby Merk. He's RR/Casteel

I stand corrected!

Will Parks too, who is playing on Sundays.

Not sure if this is current, but players in the NFL

Ka'Deem Carey RB CHI
Ricky Elmore DE WAS
Marquis Flowers LB CIN
Nick Foles QB KC
Nick Folk PK NYJ
Robert Golden S PIT
Rob Gronkowski TE NE
Earl Mitchell DT MIA
Nate Ness CB DET
Will Parks S DEN
Brooks Reed DE ATL
Trevin Wade CB NYG
Last edited by Merkin on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

OSUCat wrote:Don't forget Matt Scott and Denker!!
Denker was a RR recruit.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JB
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Exactly... And he may not have had personnel that fit his scheme at UM (whatever that is), but I would guess he inherited as much pure talent as Harbaugh did.

When a coach does markedly better with inherited recruits than he does with his own, it's a good sign not to play the "cupboard was bare" card.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote::?
OSUCat wrote:Don't forget Matt Scott and Denker!!
Denker was a RR recruit.
Denker and Scooby, combined 2 stars!