Coaching Searches

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Coaching Searches 2016

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
the real dill wrote:UVA hires Bronco Mendenhall
I'm honestly shocked.
Agree. That was some stealthy shit. Greg Byrne like.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I'm not shocked that Mendenhall was gettable because there had been some whispers over the last couple of years that he could be convinced to go elsewhere. This is a fantastic hire for Virginia.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

wow
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

the other acc programs better start preparing their teams for the dirty play to come from uva.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Shocking. Byu fans probably melting down and considering hitting a can of Coke. They deserve it
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Coop Cat wrote:
Ahhh the money whip!

And they (wrongly) say money doesn't buy happiness.
Last edited by SCCats on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

SCCats wrote:
Coop Cat wrote:
Ahhh they money whip!

And they (wrongly) say money doesn't buy happiness.
The correct quote is happiness doesn't come cheap.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Kalani Sitake to BYU
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

i wonder if Taysom Hill will transfer to UVA
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

What's crazy is how his name was never mentioned with all these openings. IIR He basically said last summer he wasn't interested in coaching outside the Power5.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dino Babers looks to be the guy at Syracuse.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat wrote:Dino Babers looks to be the guy at Syracuse.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

There have been an odd influx of former UCLA coaches getting jobs
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Kriby Smart new Georgia HC.

Updated list. Few jobs left.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

interesting.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Sid

Post by Sid »

ASUHATER! wrote:Shocking. Byu fans probably melting down and considering hitting a can of Coke. They deserve it

LMFAO!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I think we're going to need to create a Muschamp thread for the next couple years of hilarity.

We could start it off with this: Will Muschamp says he cleaned up the Florida program left by Urban Meyer
Muschamp claims he "cleaned up" the Florida program and left it in a better place.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... cleaned-up" target="_blank

I think Will and I might have different definitions of "better."
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

SCCats wrote:I think we're going to need to create a Muschamp thread for the next couple years of hilarity.
muschamp uses his wife as proof that he can recruit: makes her stand up, then says, "look at her and then look at me" :roll:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Eh, his wife ain't all that, seeing as he's a millionaire. Enjoy mediocrity Cocks!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Chris Ash (OSU DC) named Rutgers Head Coach
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

SCCats wrote:I think we're going to need to create a Muschamp thread for the next couple years of hilarity.

We could start it off with this: Will Muschamp says he cleaned up the Florida program left by Urban Meyer
Muschamp claims he "cleaned up" the Florida program and left it in a better place.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... cleaned-up" target="_blank

I think Will and I might have different definitions of "better."
That's a tough sell, Will. Although if things were so we're humming along like they had been, I don't suspect Meyer would have needed to step down for whatever reason he needed to step down for. Maybe he meant that he stopped sweeping violent episodes (involving future multiple-count felons) under the rug so he could keep menaces to society eligible and on the field?

I just want to know if he declared USC as his dream job... Or maybe suggested that he wanted to retire in Columbia if they'd have him? ;)
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Just when the dust had settled... West Virginia is now deciding whether or not to fire Holgorsen.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azpenguin wrote:Just when the dust had settled... West Virginia is now deciding whether or not to fire Holgorsen.
Yep. Posted to that effect a couple minutes after the RR and GB tweets Sat. night.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azpenguin wrote:Just when the dust had settled... West Virginia is now deciding whether or not to fire Holgorsen.
Well that their lost, WV isn't going to relive the glory days of the Post RR/BE era as HC. What they need is a coach that has big 12 experience that can guide WV. We all know were not going to be surprise if WV does offer him or Media get on mile high train of spreading more rumor and speculation. And we have go thru this Silent RR not saying a word about it. WV need to think twice before firing him.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Ken N going to BYU from Navy?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Good hire for BYU IMO. Solid coach.

RR isn't going anywhere this year(unless he has absolutely no scruples). Almost hoping Holgorson gets canned so we can see if RR back tracks and really gets exposed should they come calling
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote:Good hire for BYU IMO. Sold coach.
Even if WV did fired Holgorson as of now or during the bowl game. They better think twice before firing and hiring a coach of their best interest. I'm not saying that RR is and will be their #1 target unless the Media put him their. WV need to hired a coach that have ties of playing in Big 12 conference.
RR isn't going anywhere this year(unless he has absolutely no scruples). Almost hoping Holgorson gets canned so we can see if RR back tracks and really gets exposed should they come calling
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:Good hire for BYU IMO. Sold coach.

God that interview really mentally scarred you didn't it
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Haha hater, maybe so. I lean in both directions, pissedhe wants out and looked and glad he stayed and understand its a business.

I don't see how he could interview now this year anywhere and once his son walks on, he is here for awhile.

Guess I am just get it done now RR, no more free passes. Win or get out. Starts on 12/19/15
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Haha hater, maybe so. I lean in both directions, pissedhe wants out and looked and glad he stayed and understand its a business.

I don't see how he could interview now this year anywhere and once his son walks on, he is here for awhile.

Guess I am just get it done now RR, no more free passes. Win or get out. Starts on 12/19/15
This... Only I am an easier grader than you. The time of reckoning for me does not begin until the fall. We already got our 1 win against an FBS team with >0.500 record, I am not looking for another one.

But year 5 it's go time. I hope they put a better product on the field. I'd like people to spend their money on tickets, but they shouldn't if the product is dogshit again.

It's just business.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Come on Rich... Win big next year and you'll likely get your shot to return home as the Prodigal son and cash in with the big Payday you are pining for.

You have every incentive... Get 'er done in '16!
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

carolinacat wrote:
Coop Cat wrote:
Among the candidates in the region Rhoades is believed to have interviewed: Air Force coach Troy Calhoun; Utah State coach Matt Wells; and Colorado State coach Mike Bobo. But a fourth candidate from outside the Rocky Mountain area is meeting with Rhoades in Denver on Tuesday, according to sources: California coach Sonny Dykes.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--m ... ncaaf.html
Cal job > Mizzou job

Sonny looking for a contract extension?
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Cal's AD got played. Should've called his bluff. Sonny hasn't done anything exceptional except win a few games with a really good QB.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Come on Rich... Win big next year and you'll likely get your shot to return home as the Prodigal son and cash in with the big Payday you are pining for.

Do we all think that WV would even considering taking him back. Worst case scenario what will happen is DH start to win at WV? I'm not saying RR would take the bait but if he does get offer someone at WVU is going to think twice before hiring him. It cant just be about his past success in the BE with WV, Is about how that past success translate in Big 12.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

cordera89 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

Do we all think that WV would even considering taking him back. Worst case scenario what will happen is DH start to win at WV? I'm not saying RR would take the bait but if he does get offer someone at WVU is going to think twice before hiring him. It cant just be about his past success in the BE with WV, Is about how that past success translate in Big 12.

the converse, actually. RR's contract has a clause that doubles the buyout if he were to bolt for wvu, specifically. also, though many will say "it's all business", things got pretty personal when RR left wvu -- they sued him to the tune of $4M, setting RR back $1.5M (michigan covered the remainder + legal fees) and even after the case settled, he continued to dispute the claims. if you ask me, things got a little too real for RR to ever want to return, no matter how much money they throw at him.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dirtbags wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

the converse, actually. RR's contract has a clause that doubles the buyout if he were to bolt for wvu, specifically. also, though many will say "it's all business", things got pretty personal when RR left wvu -- they sued him to the tune of $4M, setting RR back $1.5M (michigan covered the remainder + legal fees) and even after the case settled, he continued to dispute the claims. if you ask me, things got a little too real for RR to ever want to return, no matter how much money they throw at him.
I think the 2x buyout to go back to WVU was in his original contract but I am not sure that it still is.

Let's be real here. They "sued" him for the $4M buyout that his contract (which he signed, mind you) called for if he ever left - which he did. That's ALL business.

He tried to weasel out and not fulfill his end of the bargain - THAT made it personal... if he harbors any resentment for WVU making him pony up what he agreed to, then he needs to put on a pair of big boy pants. If UM had tried to renege on his buyout when they canned him, do you think he would have "sued" them? You bet your ass he would have - and 3&Out disciples everywhere would be appalled that UM would have continued their ongoing efforts to undermine him. Schools don't typically pull that nonsense; to my knowledge, coaches don't either - at least not most of them.

These coaches are prima donnas that think the world owes them everything and they don't owe the world anything, It's fucking ridiculous. You sign a contract, you fulfill it. I would not be surprised if he tried to weasel out of his contract buyout again if WVU opens, they express interest, and he wants to go back.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Harvey Specter wrote:
dirtbags wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

I think the 2x buyout to go back to WVU was in his original contract but I am not sure that it still is.

Let's be real here. They "sued" him for the $4M buyout that his contract (which he signed, mind you) called for if he ever left - which he did. That's ALL business.

He tried to weasel out and not fulfill his end of the bargain - THAT made it personal... if he harbors any resentment for WVU making him pony up what he agreed to, then he needs to put on a pair of big boy pants. If UM had tried to renege on his buyout when they canned him, do you think he would have "sued" them? You bet your ass he would have - and 3&Out disciples everywhere would be appalled that UM would have continued their ongoing efforts to undermine him. Schools don't typically pull that nonsense; to my knowledge, coaches don't either - at least not most of them.

These coaches are prima donnas that think the world owes them everything and they don't owe the world anything, It's fucking ridiculous. You sign a contract, you fulfill it. I would not be surprised if he tried to weasel out of his contract buyout again if WVU opens, they express interest, and he wants to go back.
not sure i understand the quotations around "sued" -- it was actual litigation. nonetheless, my point wasn't about which party was right or wrong; it was that wvu may be outside of RR's consideration set, given the likely hard feelings that linger. gotta factor character into the equation with business.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

So puts him barely above Toad and the Pirate?

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... onnection/" target="_blank

1. Washington’s Chris Petersen
Annual compensation: $3.6 million
Source: Seattle Times
Comment: It took that much to lure him out of Boise. Is he worth it? Hmmmm. Check back in two years.

2. UCLA’s Jim Mora
Annual compensation: $3.5 million
Source: L.A. Times
Comment: Leveraged UW opening created by Steve Sarkisian’s departure into yet another bump.

3. USC’s Steve Sarkisian
Annual compensation: $3.25
Source: Estimate (as a private school, USC does not have to disclose salaries).
Comment: Estimate is based on the fact that Sarkisian was scheduled to max out at $2.85 million in Seattle — and he sure as heck wasn’t going to take a pay cut (cost of living included). If my number is high, it’s not high by much. And it’s probably low.

4. Arizona’s Rich Rodriguez
Annual compensation: $3.2 million
Source: USA Today
Comment: RichRod’s base was $2 million last season, but he part of an ingenious retention plan — it’s a form of deferred money — that involves units of Arizona stock and will result in a $6 million windfall if he’s still coaching the Wildcats in 2018. That equates to $1.2 million per year, which was added to his base.

5. Washington State’s Mike Leach
Annual compensation: $2.75 million
Source: Spokesman Review
Comment: That’s $1.375 million per FBS victory in 2014. It’s also a lot of money for no running game, and you can’t win in the Pac-12 without a running game.

6. Arizona State’s Todd Graham
Annual compensation: $2.7 million
Source: AZCentral
Comment: Received a $300,000 raise before the ’14 season. He’s No. 6 in the conference but No. 4 in his division.

7. Utah’s Kyle Whittingham
Annual compensation: $2.2 million
Source: Salt Lake Tribune
Comment: Whittingham agreed to a four-year extension earlier this month that will include a raise to $2.6 million. The higher his comp goes, the less patience Ute fans will have for fifth place.

8. Stanford’s David Shaw
Annual compensation: $2.5 million
Source: Estimate (as a private school, Stanford does not have to disclose salaries)
Comment: Shaw earned $2 million in 2012 (including bonuses), according to Stanford tax returns. But that compensation was set before he won the ’12 league title and agreed to a long-term deal — and a hefty raise. As with Sarkisian: If my number is high, it’s not high by much. And it’s probably low.

*** Note: Whittingham slotted ahead of Shaw based on ’15 compensation. I wanted to include Gary Anderson, which meant listing his 2015 compensation and figured it didn’t make sense to list Anderson ’15 and Whittingham ’14, given that Whittingham’s new deal has been announced.

9. Oregon State’s Gary Anderson
Annual compensation: $2.45 million
Source: The Oregonian
Comments: His comp is approximately $1 million more than Riley was set to earn in Corvallis in 2015. It so happens that Riley got a million-dollar bump himself moving to Lincoln.

10. Colorado’s Mike MacIntyre
Annual compensation: $2 million
Source: Denver Post
Comment: Enters Year 3 with pressure to win, albeit modest pressure.

11. Oregon’s Mark Helfrich
Annual compensation: $1.8 million
Source: Bloomberg
Comment: The (fiscal) beauty of promoting from within! Have to think Helfrich, whose bonuses pushed him over 2 million last season, will be getting a salary bump any minute now … if it hasn’t already happened.

11. Cal’s Sonny Dykes
Source: Associated Press
Comment: Hired from Louisiana Tech by a school with money problems, it’s no surprise Dykes is at the bottom of the Pac-12 salary structure. He will get a raise, to $2 million, for the 2015-16 seasons.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:So puts him barely above Toad and the Pirate?

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... onnection/" target="_blank

1. Washington’s Chris Petersen
Annual compensation: $3.6 million
Source: Seattle Times
Comment: It took that much to lure him out of Boise. Is he worth it? Hmmmm. Check back in two years.

2. UCLA’s Jim Mora
Annual compensation: $3.5 million
Source: L.A. Times
Comment: Leveraged UW opening created by Steve Sarkisian’s departure into yet another bump.

3. USC’s Steve Sarkisian
Annual compensation: $3.25
Source: Estimate (as a private school, USC does not have to disclose salaries).
Comment: Estimate is based on the fact that Sarkisian was scheduled to max out at $2.85 million in Seattle — and he sure as heck wasn’t going to take a pay cut (cost of living included). If my number is high, it’s not high by much. And it’s probably low.

4. Arizona’s Rich Rodriguez
Annual compensation: $3.2 million
Source: USA Today
Comment: RichRod’s base was $2 million last season, but he part of an ingenious retention plan — it’s a form of deferred money — that involves units of Arizona stock and will result in a $6 million windfall if he’s still coaching the Wildcats in 2018. That equates to $1.2 million per year, which was added to his base.

5. Washington State’s Mike Leach
Annual compensation: $2.75 million
Source: Spokesman Review
Comment: That’s $1.375 million per FBS victory in 2014. It’s also a lot of money for no running game, and you can’t win in the Pac-12 without a running game.

6. Arizona State’s Todd Graham
Annual compensation: $2.7 million
Source: AZCentral
Comment: Received a $300,000 raise before the ’14 season. He’s No. 6 in the conference but No. 4 in his division.

7. Utah’s Kyle Whittingham
Annual compensation: $2.2 million
Source: Salt Lake Tribune
Comment: Whittingham agreed to a four-year extension earlier this month that will include a raise to $2.6 million. The higher his comp goes, the less patience Ute fans will have for fifth place.

8. Stanford’s David Shaw
Annual compensation: $2.5 million
Source: Estimate (as a private school, Stanford does not have to disclose salaries)
Comment: Shaw earned $2 million in 2012 (including bonuses), according to Stanford tax returns. But that compensation was set before he won the ’12 league title and agreed to a long-term deal — and a hefty raise. As with Sarkisian: If my number is high, it’s not high by much. And it’s probably low.

*** Note: Whittingham slotted ahead of Shaw based on ’15 compensation. I wanted to include Gary Anderson, which meant listing his 2015 compensation and figured it didn’t make sense to list Anderson ’15 and Whittingham ’14, given that Whittingham’s new deal has been announced.

9. Oregon State’s Gary Anderson
Annual compensation: $2.45 million
Source: The Oregonian
Comments: His comp is approximately $1 million more than Riley was set to earn in Corvallis in 2015. It so happens that Riley got a million-dollar bump himself moving to Lincoln.

10. Colorado’s Mike MacIntyre
Annual compensation: $2 million
Source: Denver Post
Comment: Enters Year 3 with pressure to win, albeit modest pressure.

11. Oregon’s Mark Helfrich
Source: Bloomberg
Comment: The (fiscal) beauty of promoting from within! Have to think Helfrich, whose bonuses pushed him over 2 million last season, will be getting a salary bump any minute now … if it hasn’t already happened.

11. Cal’s Sonny Dykes
Source: Associated Press
Comment: Hired from Louisiana Tech by a school with money problems, it’s no surprise Dykes is at the bottom of the Pac-12 salary structure. He will get a raise, to $2 million, for the 2015-16 seasons.
Shaw looks like the deal of the century...
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

I would be shocked if Shaw isn't the highest paid coach in the PAC. He is certainly making more than what is listed here.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach" target="_blank

24) Chris Petersen - $3,402,940
25) Jim Mora - $3,350,000
28) Rich Rodriguez - $3,238,844
30) Mark Helfrich - $3,150,000
33) Todd Graham - $3,002,960
38) Mike Leach - $2,750,000
40) Kyle Whittingham - $2,600,000
45) Gary Andersen - $2,450,000
47) David Shaw - $2,224,435
54) Mike MacIntyre - $2,010,353
55) Sonny Dykes - $2,008,000

This was posted before Dykes current deal.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azgreg wrote:http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach

24) Chris Petersen - $3,402,940
25) Jim Mora - $3,350,000
28) Rich Rodriguez - $3,238,844
30) Mark Helfrich - $3,150,000
33) Todd Graham - $3,002,960
38) Mike Leach - $2,750,000
40) Kyle Whittingham - $2,600,000
45) Gary Andersen - $2,450,000
47) David Shaw - $2,224,435
54) Mike MacIntyre - $2,010,353
55) Sonny Dykes - $2,008,000

This was posted before Dykes current deal.
Dykes has no business being ahead of the 4 guys who are now immediately below him on the list. He should be ahead of MacIntyre and that's it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Shocked he tried to sell BYU on running the bone. Kind of like RR selling teams on Jeff Casteel and his defense
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Shocked he tried to sell BYU on running the bone. Kind of like RR selling teams on Jeff Casteel and his defense
I heard Byrne got a number of glowing recommendations from the offensive coordinators around the conference that he polled.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Report: Texas A&M looking into buying out Kevin Sumlin

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/ ... ar-BBnItsC" target="_blank
The transfer of his two top quarterbacks has Kevin Sumlin on the hot seat at Texas A&M, and one report says some school administrators are looking into the possibility of buying out the coach.

Horns Digest’s Chip Brown reports that Texas A&M chancellor John Sharp is looking into the possibility of terminating Sumlin’s contract, which runs through 2019.

Sumlin, 51, finalized a six-year extension two years ago that bumped his pay to $5 million, calls for him to pay a $5 million penalty if he leaves before 2016, and for him to receive a $20 million buyout from the school if they want him out.

A&M, which has poured money into the football program including a remodel of Kyle Stadium, updated athletic facilities and more, is unhappy with the direction of the program.

Since going 11-2 in Sumlin’s first year, the program slipped to 9-4 and then 8-5 last year. The Aggies are currently 8-4 and would end up with a second consecutive 8-5 season with a loss in the Music City Bowl.

Texas A&M is said to be looking into whether they can find a way to fire Sumlin without cause, which would preclude them from paying his hefty buyout. That seems like it would prove to be a difficult task.

And how much would A&M like to change the direction of the program? They reportedly have their eye on Tom Herman, who has gone 12-1 in his first season at Houston, and Larry Fedora, who has led North Carolina to an 11-2 season.

Sumlin has such a favorable contract because he was a hot commodity following his 11-2 inaugural season at A&M and the year after. He was in the mix for various NFL jobs and other college spots, leading the Aggies to give him big money to keep him in College Station. They seem to be regretting that now.

Texas A&M has seen top quarterbacks Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray announce transfers in the past week. Both were said to have trust issues with Sumlin. Though they have top quarterback recruit Tate Martell lined up for 2017, one has to wonder whether Sumlin will be around for that.