Jedd Fisch- Traveling Used Car Salesman / Coach For Hire

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ByJoveByJingle

Re: Jedd Fisch

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

TheCat wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:17 am
UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:06 pm That was over 20 fucking years ago. I call bullshit that you remember what Chi posted at some other site.
He can deny it if he wants. I wanted Tomey gone because of the offense. Go look at the scores during the golden years of the Desert Storm. Had we had ANY offense those teams would have been undefeated. I believe we gave up more rushing yards in a game last year than a season during their best year.
Well that’s just naive. Who do you think we are, Alabama? You don’t get a dominant offense and a dominant defense when you aren’t a 5 star, first round factory. If we had a Rich Rod offense and a Tomey defense, we’d be a national power. Any school would be.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

Tennessee just fired it's coach, athletic director is going to retire. Maybe some players can come our way!
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:27 am He is doing all the right things and more. Sure, other coaches might too, but none that we have had lately. There is something about the staff he has put together that makes me feel like this could be something special.

I feel like we are on the verge of not totally sucking.
Agree. Feels like we have a coach who really, really loves the chance at finally getting a job at the Helm and is throwing his all into it. As opposed to Sumlin seeking to milk past success.

This guy goes over reasons to share excitement:
https://zonazealots.com/2021/01/22/ariz ... ch-hiring/
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Fuck it.
I am all in with Fisch.
He has convinced me that he has been building a formula on how to lead a program for a long time. He seems to have all the connections and a real plan.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

^ with ya. This week I listened to that hour long podcast Fisch did with Yogi Roth around 2017 when Fisch was assistant coaching with the LA Rams. It's really enlightening if you haven't listed to it yet, he went through his journey up to that point which was pretty incredible.

From that, you get the sense that he's literally spent the past 10 years designing everything about how he'd run his program his way if he ever got a chance, taking the best pieces from all the coaches he had worked with along the way. You can also tell he's a people person and focused on getting the best out his players he's coaching based on their specific talents and personality. There's no doubt he was able to present Heeke and Robbins a full and complete staffing and program plan since he's been prepping for this for years. And give him credit, so far he has gone on to execute the vision over the past month. I've also been impressed with getting alot of these former 4 star kids from the Phoenix area to transfer here.

Obviously we'll want to see some wins from all this, but the program is on the best track it's been in at least 20 years from an excitement and something totally new and different is brewing here standpoint.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Good points. I'm also wondering if this was really a Robbin's buddy hire or if he simply impressed everyone like he has many of us.
If he nailed his interview like he has his early tenure, I would have hired him too.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:16 am Good points. I'm also wondering if this was really a Robbin's buddy hire or if he simply impressed everyone like he has many of us.
If he nailed his interview like he has his early tenure, I would have hired him too.
In the end Robbins was always going to hire Fisch. The stuff about them being buddies was a bit overblown, but shortly after Sumlin was hired Robbins regretted the hire and regrets passing up on Fisch.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

All makes sense but in three years he never interviewed for another head college job or was anyone else radar? That seems odd doesn’t it.

On one side it looks like he really wanted this job but that would seem hard to imagine. Not often you get a second chance with the guy you should have hired in the first place
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:54 pm All makes sense but in three years he never interviewed for another head college job or was anyone else radar? That seems odd doesn’t it.

On one side it looks like he really wanted this job but that would seem hard to imagine. Not often you get a second chance with the guy you should have hired in the first place
I’ve said this before, but there was no market for Jedd Fisch as a head coach at the P5 level until Arizona pursued him for it. There was a small market for him 3 years ago after he was the interim HC for UCLA, but that was it. Robbins just loved the guy and couldn’t shake the feeling. Fisch would’ve been the hire 3 years ago, but Robbins thought Sumlin’s name was just too sexy to pass up.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thx Choo and it all makes sense. Still you would think he would interview at least once over that 3 years and that he would be referred by his agent into an opportunity

I guess Robbins could keep that his secret but somehow he got that first interview and if as they have said they hardly knew each other that would mean he was referred in or his agent reached out to get that first interview with us.

Just seems odd but maybe our luck has turned
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We can go from worrying about how we didn't want him to how he will now leave at first blush. LOL. There is no magic bullet to where we are at but we are taking the steps to hopefully be better in the future where recruits will pause and think.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:41 pm We can go from worrying about how we didn't want him to how he will now leave at first blush. LOL. There is no magic bullet to where we are at but we are taking the steps to hopefully be better in the future where recruits will pause and think.
Based on Fisch's resume, I've never expected he'll be here long term. That said, if he can upgrade the roster, I'm ok if he leaves and leaves us in a better place.

I'm still not ready to go wild or say I don't think our other options couldn't have done the same sort of things, but I'll give him credit for being solid in the transfer portal.

The LB from Mich is a great, great add. Cruz is an interesting QB and guys from Arizona send the right message. The two Northwestern kids look like solid P5 guys, as does our CO transfer.

It's a solid haul. We needed it bad bc we lost some guys and weren't exactly starting from a great place.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Can’t wait to see that effort and enthusiasm produce results on the field.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We open in vegas against BYU. We better be further along with the vaccine so we can go. That road trip would be epic
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Good idea. Nice work Coach.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Leadership
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

All the right moves. Keep it going coach
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid

Post by Sid »

I’m bewildered as to why no one will ask Jedd if we can bring back our Desert Swarm uniforms?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Probably because it’s not up to him.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I was going to say I don't think the school as a whole has a ton of say in the final product or how often we change uniforms.
Sid

Post by Sid »

I agree. I would however just like to hear him say he is aware of the public outcry to remove these atrocities we call uniforms and get back to our freaking traditional school colors.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sid wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:59 am I agree. I would however just like to hear him say he is aware of the public outcry to remove these atrocities we call uniforms and get back to our freaking traditional school colors.
As long as he’s getting a check from Nike you are not going to hear him say that.

So he should get Bruschi to say it instead.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

scumdevils86 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:42 am Yea I was going to say I don't think the school as a whole has a ton of say in the final product or how often we change uniforms.
Miller mentioned it when he was asked about using throwbacks in a tribute to Lute. Schools agree on changes and time periods for changes with the uniform supplier, Nike in our case.

It's similar to how the NFL requires advance notice before a uniform redesign. They produce jerseys for sale and want notice so they don't get stuck with a buttload of outdated uniforms they can't sell. Further, I'm sure Nike puts money into a design team that they don't want to waste by immediately redesigning.

So, they agree on a time period for updates that the school honors. I'd like to see us go back to the Desert Swarm look, but we'll have to see when.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I am really beginning to like this guy. There was a lot of pressure in hiring him. Now I'm more inclined to give him a chance. He has experience with top level coaches and I'm willing to give him a chance. Give him 3 years. His passion could put Arizona on the map. He might have been a risk with the coaches we were serious about. But now as I look at it, this might be, I emphasize MIGHT) the jackpot. He's been around the right people and said all the right things. Passion makes a difference. He could put Arizona on the map. And if we start succeeding we need to strongly show our appreciation. He mentions Dick Tomey and Larry Smith. His passion is there. Let's give this guy a chance and reward him with success. I'm intrigued.

If we actually hit a jackpot (like Lute) let's give the support necessary to make the football program thrive. This is not a retread and Fisch deserves to be watched closely. My biggest wish is he is a legend for Arizona football.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

So I'm down with what you are saying but have to point out his track record shows he doesn't stay at one place very long.

Maybe it will be different at UofA and he falls in love with the town and everything but my gut says if he is successful he will be a hot commodity and a "bigger" program will snatch him up.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The question is does he bolt after he gets say his first 8 win season or does he see the rebuild all the way through and we get a couple contracts out of him? Assuming he is as good on the field and in recruiting as he is so far
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:45 am So I'm down with what you are saying but have to point out his track record shows he doesn't stay at one place very long.

Maybe it will be different at UofA and he falls in love with the town and everything but my gut says if he is successful he will be a hot commodity and a "bigger" program will snatch him up.
Well if you're scared of him leaving because he is a good coach, just consider the opposite. He sucks, we fired him and pay him a ton of money to leave. Which is better?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

DrWildcat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:52 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:45 am So I'm down with what you are saying but have to point out his track record shows he doesn't stay at one place very long.

Well if you're scared of him leaving because he is a good coach, just consider the opposite. He sucks, we fired him and pay him a ton of money to leave. Which is better?
I think we all know which option is better. The best option is he's successful and wants to stay for a while. I just think that's unlikely.
But it's all just speculation. Shit, he hasn't even coached 1 game yet.

So far he hasn't said or done anything stupid so I'm just looking at that as a positive.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:10 am
So far he hasn't said or done anything stupid so I'm just looking at that as a positive.
How low the bar has gotten for a UofA football fan.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:10 am
DrWildcat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:52 am

I think we all know which option is better. The best option is he's successful and wants to stay for a while. I just think that's unlikely.
But it's all just speculation. Shit, he hasn't even coached 1 game yet.

I get that sentiment, but I guess I'm just of the opinion that anyone that makes us relatively successful/has obvious upward trajectory is going to leave as soon as a better job comes around. It would almost be stupid not to. Even if Jedd didn't have a job hopping history, I would still feel the same.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:50 am The question is does he bolt after he gets say his first 8 win season or does he see the rebuild all the way through and we get a couple contracts out of him? Assuming he is as good on the field and in recruiting as he is so far
I mean, he's coached for over 20 years and never spent more than 3 years with any organization. I struggle to see why we'd expect that to change absent him not having a market to leave.

I'm less concerned he'll leave than I am that he'll be stuck here long term because his results don't enable him to leave.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:21 pm
azcat49 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:50 am The question is does he bolt after he gets say his first 8 win season or does he see the rebuild all the way through and we get a couple contracts out of him? Assuming he is as good on the field and in recruiting as he is so far
I mean, he's coached for over 20 years and never spent more than 3 years with any organization. I struggle to see why we'd expect that to change absent him not having a market to leave.

I'm less concerned he'll leave than I am that he'll be stuck here long term because his results don't enable him to leave.
I call that The Mike Stoops. Going 3-8, 3-8, 6-6, and then 5-7 left both us and him in limbo as to a next move. He had improved the program from the Mackovic disaster, but hadn't exactly set the world on fire.

To his credit he then rattled off a couple of 8 win seasons after Year 4, but never took us to that upper echelon we were looking for.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:26 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:21 pm

I call that The Mike Stoops. Going 3-8, 3-8, 6-6, and then 5-7 left both us and him in limbo as to a next move. He had improved the program from the Mackovic disaster, but hadn't exactly set the world on fire.

To his credit he then rattled off a couple of 8 win seasons after Year 4, but never took us to that upper echelon we were looking for.
I'd be fine with another Mike Stoops. I have two fears.

First is trapped in .500 hell for like 7-8 years until something has to give. Second is Fisch uses the portal to pump and dump us by getting transfers to get us to .500 early, then bailing on us and leaving no HS talent behind for the next coach.

Avoid those two things and I'll live.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

For those worrying about Fisch being successful and bolting, I have a question:

When was the last time we weren't paying a buyout for a fired coach?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:33 pm For those worrying about Fisch being successful and bolting, I have a question:

Larry Smith 1986 was the last not fired UA coach when he bailed on the UA and took the redeye to USC after lying to local media and not saying goodbye to the players.

Took me a long time to get over that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:33 pm For those worrying about Fisch being successful and bolting, I have a question:

If he leaves a decent base of talent, I'm ok with him leaving at any point. I'd be shocked if he's here for 5 years.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

If Jedd Fisch leaves us for a better job that will be a success IMO. I have several concerns about Jedd Fischs ability to lead this team to long term success, but his movement as an assitiant coach is near the bottom of my list of concerns. Any assistant coach with aspirations of being a head coach some day is a nomad in the NFL and NCAA. How often do our position coaches change? I would guess we have had close to 10 different defensive backs coaches in 15 years.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

any chance of getting a sniff from that Oregon qb transfer?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That would be a very crowded QB room
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

If Fisch can match the Stoops' trajectory, I'd be pleased. Stoops likely had even less to work with than Fisch, and in Stoops' first 6 years we won 3, 3, 6, 5, 8, 8. Too bad the pattern didn't hold, which would have meant two years of 10+ wins back-to-back, but Stoops had his limitations as a head coach that we don't need to rehash here.

If Fisch can do similar without the ceiling and get us to 8+ wins in year three, I'm ok if he bolts for a better job. As long as we have a solid foundation of young talent. Like I said before, think Utah fans are upset Meyer left after only two years for Florida? No, because Meyer laid a foundation and left them with Whittingham, who has continued to win in SLC.

One thing we'll need is patience. This is Fisch's first head gig, and like Stoops, he'll make some rookie mistakes. And it's not like we have a sage, former head coach on staff to help guide the staff. So far, it's been fine with Fisch, but he's had a very low bar to hurdle, and we haven't had a single practice, let alone game.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Yet, he has made it a priority unlike his predecessors to build relationships with Arizona high schools. I believe that will be the standard going forward, regardless if he bolts for another gig down the road. I would say this would rank in the top 5 accomplishments he has already achieved without a single game being played. This is huge in my book....
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

So far I like Fisch. After watching the inside video on the first day of spring ball, I have a concern. Hes staying in a hotel. Has his family not moved here? Having a place built?

I remember RR saying he needed a nice place so he could have recruits over for BBQ s and things. I would think a nice Bbq at a nice house in the Tucson foothills with the beautiful mountains, gorgeous desert, and the city spread out below and with the company of the nice Fisch family could close the deal with many recruits.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

There's like 0 housing inventory in Tucson and it's hard to actually find a place
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He's waiting for Sean and Amy's house to be available?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Isn’t Sumlin’s place empty?

RichRod’s?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

The housing market is insane right now. There's a pent-up market as people come out of Covid hibernation, and there's a race to beat the interest rates that are steadily inching up. We've been looking for a place near family in a fairly narrowly-defined strip of geography in California, and it's been a head-scratching experience, even for the real estate types, who say they've never seen anything like it. Under the circumstances, I don't blame Fisch for not having a place three months into a new job (and look at all the extra things he's been doing and getting praise for.) He's also likely waiting for his 10 and 12-year-old daughters to finish the academic year in their current schools, and for his wife to get to participate in the home buying experience. Seems to me like exactly the kind of adult and responsible approach you'd want from your football coach.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wonder if Lute's widow sold their house? That was a great recruiting tool for Lute and Bobbi, although it might be dated now.

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/lu ... ew/google/

RichRod

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/ri ... ew/google/

Sean Miller

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/se ... ew/google/