Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAdevil

Re: Rich Rod

Post by UAdevil »

dc4azcats wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:When it comes to filling the stadium on a consistent basis, most rational and reasonable people know the score and have lived up close and personal the lengthy history of a very average football product over the course of decades. It’s just the way it has always been and odd's favor that the lukewarm commitment to getting capacity crowd butts in the seats each weekend in Tucson will continue.

Even life long hardcore fans on this site who by all accounts are great people who love the UofA have told everyone they are hit and miss during home games. That’s just the way it is and shall continue to be, its called life and choices. There are other things in life that take president at the end of a long work-week and are far more important than college football. I know that sounds crazy but some folks do try to find balance in life. I'm actually quite stunned that the obviousness of having multiple enjoyable alternatives to partake in that evolves around family and friends are ridiculed to the extent that it is. The veracity and nastiness of those calling out people for simply having a different view and a different set of priorities on any given game day throughout the year is astonishing in its arrogance. The alienation factor by some folks is disturbing to say the least.

As for Rich Rod, for him to change the landscape in Arizona football a drastic dynamic would have to occur and it will boil down to the most basic element of sports played anywhere...............wins and losses! RR is never going to consistently fill the stadium unless and until he wins 9-11 games a year for a number of back to back years.

This has never been a rabid fanatical, fill the stadium fan base and I don't suspect it ever will be. There will be a hit and miss increases and decreases year in and year out. It is entertaining to see the discussion and even participate in it, but it’s mainly circle jerk exercise in the big scheme of things because it involves understanding the passions and apathy dynamics in play.

In closing and throwing my two cents in on RR leaving the UofA. The Arizona job has always been a transition job and that factor did not stop when RR was hired. The job and longevity factor has improved but, many of the old issues are still present and play a role. The Dick Tomey types who would have stayed here for 40 years if allowed are the exception.

Simply put, unless insane money and executive level perks above those present today were to be thrown at Rich Rod and his staff, there is no reasonable expectation that if a school like Florida were to actually offer the HCing job to RR where he could or would say no.

I don't expect it to happen, but if a Florida job offer was made, RR and the family would have moving vans rolling down I-10 so fast your head would spin and I don't even think that is a reach. But all of this banter is a mute point for the most part, because it’s very unlikely he will ever be offered a job like Florida without numerous PAC12 championships and with an appearance or two in the national college play-offs under his belt.
I'm sorry, but I must have missed the posts of those who said anything other than "The team always lets me down so I either don't go or I only go to 3 or 4 games (if that)." Or the always popular "when we start scheduling better OOC games is when I'll start going to games." Maybe you can post the ones that say I can't because my kid has a (name the sport) game? That's certainly understandable. Thursday or Friday night game? Understandable as well. If you have kids and it's a school night and or worked all day? More than understandable. Again, I must have missed those posts.

That being said. Do you really think it's to much to ask a fan to make a 6 to 8 week commitment over the course of a football season? Not all the games are in a row so it shouldn't make it that difficult? At the most you get 2 home games in a row usually and on the rare occasion you might get 3, but there will usually be a bye week in there. So for all of the things somebody might do over the course of 12 to 14 weeks you're saying that it's to much to ask for a fan to schedule 6 to 7 game days in that time frame? I wonder how all of the other universities are able to do it? Utah will be sold out for our game and fans there have a pro team to consider when choosing how to spend their disposable income.

Other than that you really made some great excuses as to why fans can't go to 6 to 7 games over 14 week period.
Not everyone in Tucson lives and breathes UA football like you obviously do. If they did we need a much bigger stadium. :lol:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

UAdevil wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:When it comes to filling the stadium on a consistent basis, most rational and reasonable people know the score and have lived up close and personal the lengthy history of a very average football product over the course of decades. It’s just the way it has always been and odd's favor that the lukewarm commitment to getting capacity crowd butts in the seats each weekend in Tucson will continue.

Even life long hardcore fans on this site who by all accounts are great people who love the UofA have told everyone they are hit and miss during home games. That’s just the way it is and shall continue to be, its called life and choices. There are other things in life that take president at the end of a long work-week and are far more important than college football. I know that sounds crazy but some folks do try to find balance in life. I'm actually quite stunned that the obviousness of having multiple enjoyable alternatives to partake in that evolves around family and friends are ridiculed to the extent that it is. The veracity and nastiness of those calling out people for simply having a different view and a different set of priorities on any given game day throughout the year is astonishing in its arrogance. The alienation factor by some folks is disturbing to say the least.

As for Rich Rod, for him to change the landscape in Arizona football a drastic dynamic would have to occur and it will boil down to the most basic element of sports played anywhere...............wins and losses! RR is never going to consistently fill the stadium unless and until he wins 9-11 games a year for a number of back to back years.

This has never been a rabid fanatical, fill the stadium fan base and I don't suspect it ever will be. There will be a hit and miss increases and decreases year in and year out. It is entertaining to see the discussion and even participate in it, but it’s mainly circle jerk exercise in the big scheme of things because it involves understanding the passions and apathy dynamics in play.

In closing and throwing my two cents in on RR leaving the UofA. The Arizona job has always been a transition job and that factor did not stop when RR was hired. The job and longevity factor has improved but, many of the old issues are still present and play a role. The Dick Tomey types who would have stayed here for 40 years if allowed are the exception.

Simply put, unless insane money and executive level perks above those present today were to be thrown at Rich Rod and his staff, there is no reasonable expectation that if a school like Florida were to actually offer the HCing job to RR where he could or would say no.

I don't expect it to happen, but if a Florida job offer was made, RR and the family would have moving vans rolling down I-10 so fast your head would spin and I don't even think that is a reach. But all of this banter is a mute point for the most part, because it’s very unlikely he will ever be offered a job like Florida without numerous PAC12 championships and with an appearance or two in the national college play-offs under his belt.
I'm sorry, but I must have missed the posts of those who said anything other than "The team always lets me down so I either don't go or I only go to 3 or 4 games (if that)." Or the always popular "when we start scheduling better OOC games is when I'll start going to games." Maybe you can post the ones that say I can't because my kid has a (name the sport) game? That's certainly understandable. Thursday or Friday night game? Understandable as well. If you have kids and it's a school night and or worked all day? More than understandable. Again, I must have missed those posts.

That being said. Do you really think it's to much to ask a fan to make a 6 to 8 week commitment over the course of a football season? Not all the games are in a row so it shouldn't make it that difficult? At the most you get 2 home games in a row usually and on the rare occasion you might get 3, but there will usually be a bye week in there. So for all of the things somebody might do over the course of 12 to 14 weeks you're saying that it's to much to ask for a fan to schedule 6 to 7 game days in that time frame? I wonder how all of the other universities are able to do it? Utah will be sold out for our game and fans there have a pro team to consider when choosing how to spend their disposable income.

Other than that you really made some great excuses as to why fans can't go to 6 to 7 games over 14 week period.
Not everyone in Tucson lives and breathes UA football like you obviously do. If they did we need a much bigger stadium. :lol:
Wow!! That's some insight right there.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

About as much insight as you're excreting.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

At the Bears game yesterday I talked with at least six different people about the UA/UDub game. Most actually watched the game or at least the end. All credited Arizona's toughness at least in part for the win.

The reason I mention this is because in years past no one even knew if Arizona played nor did they care if we won or lost. Thank you RichRod for making my team relevant in the national college football landscape.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I personally did not see the SC spot. It matches couple other media types ringing this bell. School boosters sending out leaks and Coaches agents sending "No thanks".
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

No surprise Foley isn't considering RichRod. Throwing RichRod into the Florida speculation was purely the media spicing up the Gators search narrative.

What makes no sense is why Mullin isn't under consideration. With a historically lesser-SEC program he is fielding a winning product in the most difficult division to succeed. Mullin would kill it in the SEC East.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

CatsbyAZ wrote:What makes no sense is why Mullin isn't under consideration. With a historically lesser-SEC program he is fielding a winning product in the most difficult division to succeed. Mullin would kill it in the SEC East.
What I've read about that is Mullen an Urban Meyer guy. Foley not fan any more of either of them. Have read Mullen-Foley icy relationship. But that's the Internet.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

RichRod installed as a 2-1 favorite to get the top gig at Florida at top bet sports. Not exactly Vegas but still interesting in light of some other tweets saying he would not be considered
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
DkuruptCAT

Post by DkuruptCAT »

Chicat wrote:At the Bears game yesterday I talked with at least six different people about the UA/UDub game. Most actually watched the game or at least the end. All credited Arizona's toughness at least in part for the win.

The reason I mention this is because in years past no one even knew if Arizona played nor did they care if we won or lost. Thank you RichRod for making my team relevant in the national college football landscape.
On a plane from KC to Vegas last night, I was decked out in full AZ gear and a random guy asks me if I saw the game the night before. I say "of course" and the guy goes on to tell me what a good game it was and how impressed he was with the AZ D and "That Scooby guy".... We are relevant....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If RR beats Utah, and whatever crappy bowl game the UA gets to, but loses to ASU he won't be on the top of anyone's list.

0-3 vs tOSU, 0-3 vs MSU, then 0-3 vs ASU is not going to cut it with any team that has a competitive rival.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Merkin wrote:If RR beats Utah, and whatever crappy bowl game the UA gets to, but loses to ASU he won't be on the top of anyone's list.

0-3 vs tOSU, 0-3 vs MSU, then 0-3 vs ASU is not going to cut it with any team that has a competitive rival.
Especially considering that Florida has three or four rivals, FSU, Miami, Georgia, and Alabama.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Usually the guy they talk about is not the guy that gets the job, at least from what I've remembered from every single coaching search.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

DkuruptCAT wrote:
Chicat wrote:At the Bears game yesterday I talked with at least six different people about the UA/UDub game. Most actually watched the game or at least the end. All credited Arizona's toughness at least in part for the win.

On a plane from KC to Vegas last night, I was decked out in full AZ gear and a random guy asks me if I saw the game the night before. I say "of course" and the guy goes on to tell me what a good game it was and how impressed he was with the AZ D and "That Scooby guy".... We are relevant....
Welcome aboard Dkurupt. :)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

If Rich Rod leaves, Arizona football will set back quite a while. He's not going anywhere.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

USA Today:

Rich Rod making $3,298,500/year plus bonuses. Puts him 18th-20th in country (USC/Stanford not reporting). Top 4 paid in Pac-12. He's already locked up minimum additional $175K this year with a bowl appearance and a shot to get additional $175k - $350k finishing season ranked, getting 9 wins+ and CGPA

Could end up at $3.475 - $3.825 million for this year. Scheduled to get auto $100K increase per year

Pretty Good. Pretty good for Arizona.

Last year, USA Today reported Arizona assistant salaries at $2.25 million year. Put them 36th-40th in country. With Casteel at $445k and MaGee at $320K. Seems like that will (need to) increase.

Just for grins, I noticed Florida's Muschamp came in 32nd country at $2.731 with only $500k available for bonus. Their assistant pool at $3.21M. When Urban Meyer there, his pay was $4mil with only a $575k bonus opportunity.

Not dramatically more than Rich Rod scheduled to get.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:....a shot to get additional $175k - $350k finishing season ranked, getting 9 wins+ and CGPA

Well, there's the 9 wins, and the season ending ranking sewn up :) What's the CGPA?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

To reiterate: Thank you, Michigan!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Go Cats!!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Season ending ranking isn't totally sewn up. If we lose big in the next two games we might not be, but win just one more and we're probably top 20 to finish for sure.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Season ending ranking isn't totally sewn up. If we lose big in the next two games we might not be, but win just one more and we're probably top 20 to finish for sure.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! our resident brake pumper. :lol:
Disambiguator

Post by Disambiguator »

CalStateTempe wrote:ASUHATER! our resident brake pumper. :lol:

I'd go with Eeyore. I've learned when I see his posts that it will pretty much be:

"not much of a team for not much of a fan."
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

#NotMichiganGood
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

@Michigan
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:....a shot to get additional $175k - $350k finishing season ranked, getting 9 wins+ and CGPA

Well, there's the 9 wins, and the season ending ranking sewn up :) What's the CGPA?
See, sewn up :) :lol:

so what's the cgpa?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thanks Michidicks!!!
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Curious what Michigan fans are thinking?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Catintheheat wrote:Curious what Michigan fans are thinking?
probably something like this:

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Last edited by NYCat on Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Katzenfreund wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
probably something like this:

That might as well be Larry Scott.
Oh, I'm sure Larry has his plans already set for next weekend.

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Catstatic wrote:To reiterate: Thank you, Michigan!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Go Cats!!
Thank you Lloyd Carr for undermining the RR crew and begging a UM dude to transfer to OSU.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Pac12 Coach of the Year. For sure.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Pac12 Coach of the Year. For sure.
You're goddamn right!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Too bad it couldn't be on the same day Brody Hoke gets fired, but what does a day matter?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Shaun King - RichRod's QB at Tulane I believe:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:

All true, but in all fairness it's only been since 2006 when all teams could play 12 regular season games and there are a shitload of bowl games now unlike the old days. Nearly every bowl eligible team gets an invite.

When I was growing up there were only handfuls. In 1970 there was 11.

Now there are 38.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ted Miller interviews RichRod. Good stuff here: http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... sideration
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:

All true, but in all fairness it's only been since 2006 when all teams could play 12 regular season games and there are a shitload of bowl games now unlike the old days. Nearly every bowl eligible team gets an invite.

Now there are 38.
That's a fair point, but it's still an impressive state for RR in his first 3 years.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Now there are 38.
That's a fair point, but it's still an impressive state for RR in his first 3 years.
All you can ask is that a new coach win as many games as the situation and talent allow. Rich Rod has gone well above and beyond that.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Now there are 38.
All you can ask is that a new coach win as many games as the situation and talent allow. Rich Rod has gone well above and beyond that.
Mike Stoops would have been competitive in the same situation but always found ways to lose.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Shaun King just bringing it!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat wrote:
Mike Stoops would have been competitive in the same situation but always found ways to lose.
Stoops' teams at Arizona always faired better when nothing was on the line. Stoops would have lost this game 44-10.

I remember some posts quite well about Stoops going to a bowl game 3 straight years and he should be rewarded for that.

Cats those years were 8-5, 8-5 and 7-6.

Larry Smith goes "what"?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Rich Rod sneers in the general direction of Stoops records.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion