Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Coach Rod

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:If we realistically dont think we can upgrade from whatever the hell this RR era is, then we might as well fold the damn program. UA football isnt making money, and we dont think we can upgrade? Im sorry, I just find that completely impossible to believe.
It can be done and needs to be done next year without 9 wins. But I think people like me and others are saying that it will not be a layup to get a coach who will do better, especially with the issues that are stacked against U of A from having the best realistic options. Lack of history, lack of facilities, lack of tradition, lack of finances, lack of fan support and attendance, lack of big recruiting base. Note that all these work against recruiting as well without even factoring in the coach and his staff and strategy yet.
Then fold the program.
I'm sold. Yearly basketball home and homes against St. Mary's and Gonzaga here we come.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

PHXCATS wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:If we realistically dont think we can upgrade from whatever the hell this RR era is, then we might as well fold the damn program. UA football isnt making money, and we dont think we can upgrade? Im sorry, I just find that completely impossible to believe.
It can be done and needs to be done next year without 9 wins. But I think people like me and others are saying that it will not be a layup to get a coach who will do better, especially with the issues that are stacked against U of A from having the best realistic options. Lack of history, lack of facilities, lack of tradition, lack of finances, lack of fan support and attendance, lack of big recruiting base. Note that all these work against recruiting as well without even factoring in the coach and his staff and strategy yet.
We hired one freaking guy (Donte Williams) and were in the door with how many high caliber SoCal players last year, despite all of that, including a head coach who ignored the entire area. The issue I have is everyone hears the name Rich Rodriguez and immediately assumes this is the same coach who took WVU on one hell of a ride while he was there a decade ago. It is blatantly clear we do not have that guy as our head coach.

So, im sorry, I find it hard to believe we cant upgrade from a "name" coach, to someone who can fix the issues we have and put together a much more cohesive product on the field, in addition to actually making money for the program and filling the stadium.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Then fold the program.
I'm sold. Yearly basketball home and homes against St. Mary's and Gonzaga here we come.
Move the softball team into the stadium. Give them access to all the football facilities.

-Shane Battier
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Exactly. We've filled the stadium before. I know times are different now than 10-20-30 years ago but we should still be able to generate more than we do now. I don't know anyone in real life who gives a shit about uofa football anymore, even other alums. No one has cared in 3 years. If we keep eeyoring it and saying, "wellp we can't do any better so we might as well sit around and wait for RRod to turn it around and end up in the mediocre football hall of fame" then you're right, fold the program.

I was a student and bought tickets in the Stoops era. I I got tickets in the early Rich era but after 6 years I've seen enough. I don't buy tickets now and won't until he's gone. At least fucking try to do something different.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Then fold the program.
At least our conference RPI would improve.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TucsonClip wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
We hired one freaking guy (Donte Williams) and were in the door with how many high caliber SoCal players last year, despite all of that, including a head coach who ignored the entire area. The issue I have is everyone hears the name Rich Rodriguez and immediately assumes this is the same coach who took WVU on one hell of a ride while he was there a decade ago. It is blatantly clear we do not have that guy as our head coach.

So, im sorry, I find it hard to believe we cant upgrade from a "name" coach, to someone who can fix the issues we have and put together a much more cohesive product on the field, in addition to actually making money for the program and filling the stadium.
Nailed it with the Donte Williams reference and he was just an assistant. Hire Major Applewhite or Tee Martin or any young motivated guy who gives two shits about recruiting and connecting with kids and we may just have a class where we land a few 4 stars. Wouldn't that be something?

Also it's abundantly clear as you said that this Rich Rod is not the West Virginia Rich Rod, the lack of motivation is beyond obvious.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

TucsonClip wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Funny you being up Williams as he is someone I thought of When I made my post. We lost him because our awful attendance and Wildcat Club membership didn't allow us to give an assistant a raise of 100k. Lost him to a shittier head coach and a shitter program today. But they sell out every game so they can get the best coaches the next time and best assistants.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Funny you being up Williams as he is someone I thought of When I made my post. We lost him because our awful attendance and Wildcat Club membership didn't allow us to give an assistant a raise of 100k. Lost him to a shittier head coach and a shitter program today. But they sell out every game so they can get the best coaches the next time and best assistants.
LOL OMG JUST SCREW OFF FOREVER. Amazing, utterly amazing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I've posted this before, but we're actually almost always in a decent place financially. Most athletic departments run at losses, but even in the disaster on the 2016 football season, we made a 4.1 million profit across the department. Basketball and football are obviously the two huge drivers of that.

Again, I'm not a hardcore RR defender and think we could part ways at the end of next year. It just isn't a dire situation.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I've posted this before, but we're actually almost always in a decent place financially. Most athletic departments run at losses, but even in the disaster on the 2016 football season, we made a 4.1 million profit across the department. Basketball and football are obviously the two huge drivers of that.

Again, I'm not a hardcore RR defender and think we could part ways at the end of next year. It just isn't a dire situation.
Welp.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/2017/7/16 ... t-finances" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

LOL OMG JUST SCREW OFF FOREVER. Amazing, utterly amazing.
Nebraska didn't make a bowl this year. Mike Riley is way worse than RR. All facts guy.

Why did Williams leave then because all accounts are that he got paid a lot more at Nebraska.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Nebraska didn't make a bowl this year. Mike Riley is way worse than RR. All facts guy.

Why did Williams leave then because all accounts are that he got paid a lot more at Nebraska.
Because Nebraska is a better football job than Arizona and they pay more? I mean if you honestly think attendance is the difference maker for the amount of money Nebraska can pay for their football program vs ours then you're dumber than I ever previously thought. Do I need to post a link on what the Big Ten schools make per year via their media deals compared to ours? You also said Nebraska is a shittier program than Arizona. Just go away man.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Welp.

That was 15-16. In 16-17:

http://tucson.com/arizona-wildcats-prof ... 6bccf.html" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Because Nebraska is a better football job than Arizona and they pay more? I mean if you honestly think attendance is the difference maker for the amount of money Nebraska can pay for their football program vs ours then you're dumber than I ever previously thought. Do I need to post a link on what the Big Ten schools make per year via their media deals compared to ours? You also said Nebraska is a shittier program than Arizona. Just go away man.
Premium said it was a dollars thing with him and if you don't think that better attendance would have helped get that raise for Williams then I don't know what to tell you. He wanted to stay and UA couldn't afford it. A few hundred more season ticket holders and they Damn well could have
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Welp.

Wanna know the difference? We still owe all that money that we did from this article, plus the indoor facility, East stadium renovation, softball renovation, and new swimming pool. We're in the RED with the worst football attendance we've had in decades.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Premium said it was a dollars thing with him and if you don't think that better attendance would have helped get that raise for Williams then I don't know what to tell you. He wanted to stay and UA couldn't afford it. A few hundred more season ticket holders and they Damn well could have
You my friend are so full of crap the white in your eyes are full on brown. He was a mercenary that would go to any highest bidder, he had zero attachments to Arizona, and we're paying our assistants more now than we ever had previously, which included when we had better attendance. A few hundred more season ticket holders wouldn't have meant shit.

You have an agenda. It's a dumb and ridiculously annoying one that reeks of "I'm a better fan than anybody else" BS.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Welp.

Wanna know the difference? We still owe all that money that we did from this article, plus the indoor facility, East stadium renovation, softball renovation, and new swimming pool. We're in the RED with the worst football attendance we've had in decades.
From both articles, the bigger issue than debt or football attendance is media rights. If P12N was making half of what SECN does, we'd be in the money.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
From both articles, the bigger issue than debt or football attendance is media rights. If P12N was making half of what SECN does, we'd be in the money.
Most definitely the case brother, but we can't control that at the moment.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

PHXCATS wrote: Funny you being up Williams as he is someone I thought of When I made my post. We lost him because our awful attendance and Wildcat Club membership didn't allow us to give an assistant a raise of 100k. Lost him to a shittier head coach and a shitter program today. But they sell out every game so they can get the best coaches the next time and best assistants.
All of which directs back at Rich Rod and the program he is running.

Thank you for agreeing.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I've posted this before, but we're actually almost always in a decent place financially. Most athletic departments run at losses, but even in the disaster on the 2016 football season, we made a 4.1 million profit across the department. Basketball and football are obviously the two huge drivers of that.

As someone who has worked in a DI athletic department, yes, they typically run in the red. However, we have a premium product (UA BB) bringing in revenue at an elite rate. When you combine that with a P5 football program, there is no reason we shouldnt be turning an even higher profit.

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: I've posted this before, but we're actually almost always in a decent place financially. Most athletic departments run at losses, but even in the disaster on the 2016 football season, we made a 4.1 million profit across the department. Basketball and football are obviously the two huge drivers of that.

As someone who has worked in a DI athletic department, yes, they typically run in the red. However, we have a premium product (UA BB) bringing in revenue at an elite rate. When you combine that with a P5 football program, there is no reason we shouldnt be turning an even higher profit.
I don't necessarily agree. The media licensing I noted above is such a huge portion of revenue. Also, basketball revenue always gets dwarfed by football revenue. A football school like Alabama will always make more than a basketball school like Arizona just because the ceiling is so much higher.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I don't necessarily agree. The media licensing I noted above is such a huge portion of revenue. Also, basketball revenue always gets dwarfed by football revenue. A football school like Alabama will always make more than a basketball school like Arizona just because the ceiling is so much higher.
Yes, the media licensing is an issue. However, when you factor in our raised ticket prices in a stadium we have been/are upgrading, against our attendance numbers, there is an easy $5 mil in growth out there we are unable to tap into to due to an empty stadium.

For reference, $5 mil in growth, based on the USA today numbers from last year, would bump us up one spot on the FB total revenue list. A $5 mil loss would drop us five spots.

Im not saying the math is that simple to turn the red into the black, but the opportunity is certainly there.

-Shane Battier
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

RR just doesn't have the mental temperament to be a good in game coach. He panics too much, yells too much (losing his temper and mental focus), makes bad in-game decisions with timeouts, etc. over and over. The team is also sloppy on all the angles of a football team, the little things, which shows overall there isn't a sharpness to the program. We lose everytime to a comparative middling school it seems because they simply execute better than us in cruchtime (like a Boise St., Houston, Purdue, etc.)

Of course, we're not going to fire him till at least the end of next season.

Overall, I'd grade Rich:

In game coaching ability: C-
Pregame x's and o's: B-
Recruiting: D+
Style of Play C (offense gets a B, Defense a D)
Player development: C
Current fan interest in program: D

Overall, a C coach, a C program. We'd all love to be an A, most realistically we hope we can be a B program with the right coach, someone who can recruit against perceived program weaknesses. But at the current C level (and oftentimes D and F level at times with Rich in PAC-12 play), think the program is due for a change. It's college after all....C's aren't good!
Last edited by TheGreatCatsby on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

but aw shucks we can't ever do any better than ol' Rich! he's the best us "good fans" could ever hope for at a little ol' school like Arizona! we should just give him another 4-5 years to figure it out. make sure you buy a bunch of tickets to watch us lose more now, ya hear!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

*Quick Note*

All posts personally attacking other posters are getting deleted and warnings will be issued soon. If you can’t make your point without name-calling, talking about each other’s mothers, and other such childish shit, your point was stupid and you should be thanking the mods for deleting your embarrassing bullshit.

RR provides all of us with enough data points to present reasoned arguments on both sides. Use them and stay on topic or find another thread or topic to comment on.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'll give RR some credit. These kids didn't quit on him. They fought hard all year long.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Unfortunately they were very poorly coached and prepared for most games and didn't have the talent to overcome that.
prh

Post by prh »

Anyone who seriously thinks it is impossible to recruit to Arizona is idiotic. Sorry their take is idiotic. Just because Rich Rod built his career off recruiting 3 stars elsewhere and refuses to change doesn’t mean someone else can’t do it just fine.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Teams take on the personas of their coach.

Rr shits the bed when the going gets tough and so do we.

See last minute of last ngiht and the fiesta bowl game
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Teams take on the personas of their coach.

2014 Cal
2014 Oregon
2014 Washington
2014 asu
2015 Utah
2017 Colorado
2017 Cal
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yeah those 2015 and 2017 games really helped us get to the promised land of championships and big wins amirite? :lol:

again, rr hasn't done dick all in big games since asu in 2014. the 2 biggest games of the year (pac 12 champ and fiesta bowl were disasters)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Omg that Oregon championship game was a huge joke.

That one hurt. That one is what took the bloom off my rose for RR. I was prepared for a loss but not dropping a steaming duece all over the field.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

scumdevils86 wrote:yeah those 2015 and 2017 games really helped us get to the promised land of championships and big wins amirite? :lol:

again, rr hasn't done dick all in big games since asu in 2014. the 2 biggest games of the year (pac 12 champ and fiesta bowl were disasters)
This is the same "it's a big game when it's a loss" argument people use to attack Miller. In this argument, a bowl game loss is big and a bowl game isn't big.

We lost a bowl game in 2014 and it's a big game disaster. We win a bowl game in 2015 and it's not. Was last night big or not? Depends on the outcome.

It's funny because I'm not even a huge RR fan, but I wind up defending him because a lot of the arguments over him just substitute feelings for facts.

I mean, you count a L to ASU in 2015 as a big game (I assume you class that as a big game for us) but not the 2016 W versus ASU. Damn.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Teams take on the personas of their coach.

2014 Cal
:lol:

The Cats beat a 4-7 team on the flukiest of low percentage plays, and that's supposed to prove that RR is tough-minded and good in crunch time??

:lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

massively flawed logic. when you're 2-9 pretty much no game is a big game anymore. also you can't exactly equate a new years 6 bowl with some shit 3rd tier bowl. this isn't hard to understand.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

scumdevils86 wrote:massively flawed logic. when you're 2-9 pretty much no game is a big game anymore. also you can't exactly equate a new years 6 bowl with some shit 3rd tier bowl. this isn't hard to understand.
So by that logic, RR had zero big losses in 2016. There were literally no games that mattered that year. The fact we knocked ASU out of a bowl doesn't mean a big game. In state rivalry, not a big game.

Similar with the bowl logic. I raised last night for a reason, in that it is also a lower tier bowl. That one prpbably counted because we lost while the wins don't.

It's the sliding scale of what's big to create the artificially bad record in big games that drives me nuts. If they only matter when you're a contender, we won a few in 2014 and lost a few that year too. No other year rwally mattered because we weren't playing for a title.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

you're making it way too complicated for yourself. we haven't won anything of note or of importance since the asu game in 2014. that is not debatable. beating asu last year was nice. but rr sucks against asu overall by a wide margin. going 3-9 in a season should mean you have nothing to celebrate. but with our stockholm syndrome, mediocrity-loving fans I guess that was an ok year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:Anyone who seriously thinks it is impossible to recruit to Arizona is idiotic. Sorry their take is idiotic. Just because Rich Rod built his career off recruiting 3 stars elsewhere and refuses to change doesn’t mean someone else can’t do it just fine.
Stoops recruited more NFL talent than Rich Rod to Arizona and his football offices were in a basketball arena his entire tenure.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I guess I used a different gestalt to define a big game: a big game if we win raising our profile nationally and makes us more competitive for recruits and/or future success. A win last night, while nice, does not move the needle IMO and hence not a big game.

Winning asu this year does. At least with momentum for next year and getting us to a higher profile bowl. Winning the fiesta bowl(l) or Oregon champ ship (l) game does. Winning Oregon 2009 (l)does. Beating Iowa that year and ucla both under Stoops did.

It's all relative but most subjective things like defining a "big game" are. The games are big eithin the context of a season and what the positive results of such game would lead too. He seems the stake being s bit higher.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

scumdevils86 wrote:you're making it way too complicated for yourself. we haven't won anything of note or of importance since the asu game in 2014. that is not debatable. beating asu last year was nice. but rr sucks against asu overall by a wide margin. going 3-9 in a season should mean you have nothing to celebrate. but with our stockholm syndrome, mediocrity-loving fans I guess that was an ok year.
Even there, you tilt the scale for the negative result. We finished the regular season 3-9, so there's nothing to celebrate. When we finished the season 10-2, the logic doesn't reverse itself to mean we have nothing to regret. That year, you hammer the big losses.

My point is there are big games in good years, mediocre years and bad years. Doing the "it's only a big game if I think it is" routine is designed to create the result you want. ASU is always a big game. A bowl game is always big. A game against a ranked opponent is always big. Those are decent starting places for a consistent evaluation.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

no.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:Anyone who seriously thinks it is impossible to recruit to Arizona is idiotic. Sorry their take is idiotic. Just because Rich Rod built his career off recruiting 3 stars elsewhere and refuses to change doesn’t mean someone else can’t do it just fine.
Stoops recruited more NFL talent than Rich Rod to Arizona and his football offices were in a basketball arena his entire tenure.
I hear Larry Smith stayed in a teardrop trailer behind the student union.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: My point is there are big games in good years, mediocre years and bad years.
Agree, but the bigness of the game is within the context of the season imo.

Last nights bowl is fun awesome great, not big. No one cares about the outcome other than Arizona fans. A win doesn't really do squat to recruiting or raising the profile of the team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: My point is there are big games in good years, mediocre years and bad years.
Agree, but the bigness of the game is within the context of the season imo.

Last nights bowl is fun awesome great, not big. No one cares about the outcome other than Arizona fans. A win doesn't really do squat to recruiting or raising the profile of the team.
I think there's a difference between big games and games that affect a program's trajectory. They don't always equate to each other.

Great example is our two Oregon games in 2014. The first game was more important for the program IMO. It was a Thursday night ESPN game that got a ton of national attention. The second was for the conference championship, but was buried Friday night (thanks, Larry Scott) and drew far less national attention.

There are way more big games than games that affect a program's trajectory. Big games always include in state rivals and games vs ranked teams, IMO. In state rivalries infrequently define the future of the program, but they are still big games.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Last night's bowl game must have been a big game.
I got an email this morning from AZ athletics asking me to buy season tix for next year.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Chicat wrote:*Quick Note*

All posts personally attacking other posters are getting deleted and warnings will be issued soon. If you can’t make your point without name-calling, talking about each other’s mothers, and other such childish shit, your point was stupid and you should be thanking the mods for deleting your embarrassing bullshit.

RR provides all of us with enough data points to present reasoned arguments on both sides. Use them and stay on topic or find another thread or topic to comment on.

Your'e a moderator? For everyone? or just those not in the chiefbdhater camp? Well, as the season ends, it's a good time for a UA football news blackout for me.

Maybe I'll see y'all next year when the QB gets injured during a drop back pass and RR's "system" is to blame LOL.

Wake me up if Chuck Cecil takes over.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

jimson wrote:
Medically induce me into a coma if that ever occurs.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

jimson wrote:Your'e a moderator? For everyone? or just those not in the chiefbdhater camp?
Yes, for everyone. I've deleted posts on both sides of the argument over the past day+. Posting like a jerk doesn't seem to be solely on one side or the other, but I suspect you already knew that.
jimson wrote:Well, as the season ends, it's a good time for a UA football news blackout for me.

Maybe I'll see y'all next year when the QB gets injured during a drop back pass and RR's "system" is to blame LOL.

Vaya con dios Jim.
FlyonWall

Post by FlyonWall »

I am having a hard time getting past the hypocrisy.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

FlyonWall wrote:

I am having a hard time getting past the hypocrisy.
Who did I personally attack? I don't see any names there.

Of course, I could call out the poster behind this FlyonWall sock account... :lol: