Jedd Fisch- Traveling Used Car Salesman / Coach For Hire

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: Jedd Fisch

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:38 pm A 9-4 season three years after 1-11 would absolutely be winning big at Arizona. You look foolish acting like it wouldn’t be.
You are foolish for calling a 3rd place effort "Winning Big".

BTW, What would you call Arizona's 2014 1st place in the South Team which lost in the Fiesta Bowl......"Winning Gargantuously"?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You really should quit while you are behind :lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't believe all the posters not calling a 9 win season big.

Every UA 9+ win season since 1899

2014: 10-4
1998: 12-1
1993: 19-2
1986: 9-3
1974: 9-2
1973: 9-2

Come back again and say that a 9 win season for Arizona isn't big.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Just waiting for dmj to move the goalposts again.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

After the garbage we have had to endure I would absolutely call a 9 win season big. Honestly not sure how you wouldn't? We are not exactly coming from Tom Osborne Nebraska or Bobby Bowden Florida State territory here. Those schools would probably be happy with 9-4 too now that they have been humbled a smidge.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

I figured losing big would be like 3-8. Close would be 6-7. Winning close 7-6. Winning big: 10 or more wins. 8 and 9 wins is in between but certainly successful.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The argument wasn’t “what is success”.

dmjcat challenged me to find a coach that was successful with juniors and seniors from very poor recruiting classes.

That was easy and I was able to provide the receipts within ten minutes of me reading his post.

Then he desperately tried to switch to arguing about the definition of “win big” because his dumb ass forgot that Mike Leach took a truly horrible WSU program and turned them around almost immediately.

That was fun. Thanks dmj.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Just a discussion about semantics. Why devolve into name calling?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I do think 9 wins is by doable by his fourth year. It would absolutely be a great season
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Had we retained RR, I think we would've won at least 7 games and go bowling. Sumlin won 5 games with the same roster, while the offense sputtered early on to adjust. 7 wins and a bowl gets you another year at Arizona, and who know what might have happened with RR and a senior Khalil Tate. All water under the bridge now.

Those that think we can't win big in year 4 because of the recruiting class that will be seniors then should also realize that we can supplement that class with the transfer portal and JUCO transfers. Get 2 or 3 key players on both sides of the ball through transfers, and have another stellar recruiting class next year, then by 2024, we could have a roster that can win. And if it's a roster that wins 8 with a few close losses, then 2025 could be a banner year.

This assumes Fisch can continue to recruit well, and fixes the coaching issues. Red zone offensive efficiency was awful. Play calling was questionable, and scheme was all over the place. One week we would try a fast pace O, next week, pro style, and week after that, hodge podge. All with a roster that certainly wasn't set to play a pro style offense. Nor should we have been in a rush. How many games did the D keep us in during the first half, only to break down from being too tired in the second half to compete?

Play calling and game management. Neither were good last year. If we to ever win big with Fisch, we need to upgrade both talent and coaching.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yep, it was a training wheels season.

Here’s hoping Jedd figured it out now. I’m curious how some of these kids look with a year of the Jedd Lasso era under their belts. And I want to see if Jedd learned some lessons as far as game management and playing to his players’ strengths.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:08 am I’m curious how some of these kids look with a year of the Jedd Lasso era under their belts.
This is my big question at this point.

Fisch has shown a lot of good stuff in recruiting sp far. Coaching is a massive TBD as we discussed yesterday. Year to year player development is the third piece of the puzzle and at Arizona, you have to be able to do all three to win more than 7 games.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I want to see who is going to win the "Chicken Little, the Sky is Falling" contest. The competition is stiff for sure.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:14 am I want to see who is going to win the "Chicken Little, the Sky is Falling" contest. The competition is stiff for sure.
Can I enter by saying after a 20 game losing streak, home loss to a 5-6 FCS team and 1-11 season, the worst thing might be thinking the sky isn't falling?

Because that makes me think if the sky isn't falling, this is the new normal. Sumlin left us in a bad place, but as an Arizona fan, things are not good.

Recruiting wins are good and give hope, but they mean just about as much as Gronk coaching the spring game did until we win. That's ultimately what has to change and Fisch hasn't done it.

No one thinks he should be fired and I think he'd easily get a third year if he went winless in year 2. He is our coach and that's it, but it doesn't mean things are good.

Just my 2 cents.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Did the sky not already fall? No where to go but up.
Last edited by gronk4heisman on Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Holy shit. How do you come out of a 1-11 season and call people Chicken Littles?

:lol:
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:27 am Holy shit. How do you come out of a 1-11 season and call people Chicken Littles?

It was an improvement from the prior year I guess? Only took a JV team victory the worst red zone TD% possibly in the history of college football.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:31 am
Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:27 am Holy shit. How do you come out of a 1-11 season and call people Chicken Littles?

It was an improvement from the prior year I guess? Only took a JV team victory the worst red zone TD% possibly in the history of college football.
The team a year before, even though 0-6, came a dropped INT away from beating full strength U$C. This year was not an improvement on the field with a single win over a Covid-ravaged team and an FCS loss.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:12 am The argument wasn’t “what is success”.

dmjcat challenged me to find a coach that was successful with juniors and seniors from very poor recruiting classes.

That was easy and I was able to provide the receipts within ten minutes of me reading his post.

Then he desperately tried to switch to arguing about the definition of “win big” because his dumb ass forgot that Mike Leach took a truly horrible WSU program and turned them around almost immediately.

That was fun. Thanks dmj.
Thanks for setting the bar for Fisch. A mid level PAC12 finish is "Winning Big" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You really should quit while you are behind
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:34 am
gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:31 am

The team a year before, even though 0-6, came a dropped INT away from beating full strength U$C. This year was not an improvement on the field with a single win over a Covid-ravaged team and an FCS loss.
As gronk4heisman said, no where to go from here but up (hopefully… cause I guess there is a universe where we go 1-11 forever… *shudder*).

Some people are going to have to get used to the idea that not everyone is 110% confident in the guy who delivered our worst season ever and are taking a wait and see approach.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chi, 1-11 with that win against a real team not missing half their team would still be a step up in my personal record book!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Get some fucking talent into the program first. Then if the only argument/concern is with Jeff’s play calling or game management great…I can live with that. Shit, I’ve been doing that since the Tomey era.

Until that time who gives a shit if we were a a 1 win or 3 win team. First stop is becoming bowl eligible and we ain’t doing that without a talent upgrade.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:51 am Get some fucking talent into the program first. Then if the only argument/concern is with Jeff’s play calling or game management great…I can live with that. Shit, I’ve been doing that since the Tomey era.

Until that time who gives a shit if we were a a 1 win or 3 win team. First stop is becoming bowl eligible and we ain’t doing that without a talent upgrade.
I mostly agree with this. We certainly need a talent upgrade. And are getting one with the current recruiting class. But you also can't ignore the warning signs from this past year, including things like awful red zone efficiency. If last year was just a sign of Fisch cutting his head coaching teeth and we see marked improvement next year, then no worries. We'll be a competitive team, and likely be a winning team once the new talent matures. But if we see the same issues, then what?

Nothing we can or should do. Fisch is upgrading the talent and deserves to see if he can sink or swim with them in the next couple of years. I'm just saying, from the early returns, I'm not optimistic and think Fisch will end belly up. I hope I'm wrong.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:24 am Did the sky not already fall? No where to go but up.
NEVER say this about Arizona football. If I have learned anything about Arizona football, there's always further to fall.

Like when we lost 70-7 to ASU. I thought that was bottom and then we lost to NAU.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I used to work at a FCS right next to the football stadium and offices. I came across the players all the time.

And to a one, they were a head smaller than the football players I used to see around the UA campus.

Cal Poly was ahead of ASU in the 3rd quarter a few years ago, and the Cal Poly triple options confused the heck out of the Sun Devils.

But just being being and stronger, ASU just wore down Cal Poly and eventually won. Why UA didn't try to use their size and strength advantage to wear down NAU I had no idea.

Seemed more UA was worn down and NAU was not.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:48 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:51 am Get some fucking talent into the program first. Then if the only argument/concern is with Jeff’s play calling or game management great…I can live with that. Shit, I’ve been doing that since the Tomey era.

I mostly agree with this. We certainly need a talent upgrade. And are getting one with the current recruiting class. But you also can't ignore the warning signs from this past year, including things like awful red zone efficiency. If last year was just a sign of Fisch cutting his head coaching teeth and we see marked improvement next year, then no worries. We'll be a competitive team, and likely be a winning team once the new talent matures. But if we see the same issues, then what?

Nothing we can or should do. Fisch is upgrading the talent and deserves to see if he can sink or swim with them in the next couple of years. I'm just saying, from the early returns, I'm not optimistic and think Fisch will end belly up. I hope I'm wrong.
I read from another site something about how at one point, we were excited about a QB who just threw 5 interceptions. I think Fisch will be much better if we get a real QB.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

For those of you who think you can't turn a program around quickly just look at Sam Pittman and Arkansas.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

How many coaches did we have to replace this off season?
I’m a bit concerned that will cause another season of the team starting from scratch.
Throw in a new QB and we really are starting over.
Hopefully Jedd was able to build a foundation, even if a small one.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I think we only had to replace two.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

It's easy. There is a group in here that is about nothing more than doom and gloom. They can't make up their mind about the cause of it. Yea last year was a real turd but who here thought it would be any different? We were using our third string quarterback and trying to teach him how to play at a D1 level on the fly. Our OL was devastated by injuries. I'm sorry but our running backs aren't all that dynamic and it has nothing to do with OL, they just aren't. With that in mind how did you expect the offense to perfrom? Play calling be damned. We are definitely upgrading the talent here and I still hear the Chicken Little cries.... Oh God we better do it more than one year or we're sunk. we're doomed, we're gonna suck again next year. Oh God Fisch can't coach, we're doomed. I think there are some people here that just did not like the hire and by god they are going to find fault no matter what.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We lost to NAU. It will take a long time to wash that stink off.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:57 pm

It's easy. There is a group in here that is about nothing more than doom and gloom. They can't make up their mind about the cause of it. Yea last year was a real turd but who here thought it would be any different? We were using our third string quarterback and trying to teach him how to play at a D1 level on the fly. Our OL was devastated by injuries. I'm sorry but our running backs aren't all that dynamic and it has nothing to do with OL, they just aren't. With that in mind how did you expect the offense to perfrom? Play calling be damned. We are definitely upgrading the talent here and I still hear the Chicken Little cries.... Oh God we better do it more than one year or we're sunk. we're doomed, we're gonna suck again next year. Oh God Fisch can't coach, we're doomed. I think there are some people here that just did not like the hire and by god they are going to find fault no matter what.
I’d describe this rant as perfectly unintelligible but I did want to address the bolded portion.

Are you under the impression that one good recruiting year will completely turn our program around? Of course Fisch needs to continue to recruit at a high level. I’m sure he’d tell you the same thing.

Being an optimist is one thing. Existing in an alternate reality is something totally different my man.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Each new season is a chance to enjoy optimism.There are signs that this thing is being built right. Why not go into the season thinking we might win more games than expected?
I say we win 5 games next year. 3 will be late in the season and will be surprises.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Chicat wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:05 pm
tgrumpy2 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:57 pm

I’d describe this rant as perfectly unintelligible but I did want to address the bolded portion.

Are you under the impression that one good recruiting year will completely turn our program around? Of course Fisch needs to continue to recruit at a high level. I’m sure he’d tell you the same thing.

Being an optimist is one thing. Existing in an alternate reality is something totally different my man.
You declared that unintelligible because you didn't like it but at no point did I ever say Arizona would turn this around with one good recruiting year. There are indeed things to complain about but there's a lot to be positive about as well but there are some in here that just refuse to do that. I think there are some people in here that never agreed with the Fisch hire and no matter what he does they will complain about it. I do not know how anyone can judge his coaching at this point. I assure you I am in no alternative reality when it comes to where this football program is. I will keep looking for positives and not negatives. You might try that sometime.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I bolded it for you. The “Chicken Littles” are saying if we don’t improve the talent “more than one year” we are doomed.

Those of you in rose-colored glasses should agree with that statement. We have to continue to recruit at the level we did this year if we want a shot at turning this around. But you may be too invested in demanding people feel the same way you do to see the logic in that.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:35 pm I do not know how anyone can judge his coaching at this point.
We lost to NAU. That's how I can judge his coaching.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We were the worst red zone team in the history of the multiverse. I think you can render a judgement there.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cats should have been 0-12, but was able to beat a Covid ravaged team by only scoring 10 points.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think the verdict is still out. He has done one thing really well and that is make a connection with former players and had players buy in. He did one thing pretty well and that is his first recruiting class. He has not shown yet that he is a good X's and O's man. Part of that is talent and part of that is on him for play calling. He screwed up the NAU game and the red zone was terrible. Time will tell if both of those improve. If they don't you wont be building on this recruiting class. Some positives, some negatives but mostly still unknown.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Fisch has done well in the off-season, but there is plenty of reason to question his ability to coach. Nothing this year told me Fisch was a good play caller or head coach. Losing to NAU? Nothing in Fisch's past has jumped off the page either. His time as an O-coordinator has been a lot of meh.

Talent upgrades are necessary and appreciated. But talent alone won't win a South championship, let alone a Conference championship. In fact, talent alone may not even get you to a bowl game! See USC.

I don't think anyone wants Fisch to fail. And as a cheerleader for the program and a recruiter, Fisch has done well. As a coach? Different story.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I agree that over all the verdict is still out. He still has to sooner than later produce wins. After next year, I may be more on your side of this but right now I don't agree with some assessments on his sideline coaching. The players seemed to have bought into his system and if he was that bad, players would have hit the transfer portal in droves and they didn't. We would have heard rumblings from offensive coaches and some looking for other jobs and that didn't happen either. I can't seem to find any significant number of players from the past that were coached by him that have anything negative to say. He may indeed turn out to be another Neuhiesel. Says the right things and is a great recruiter but just couldn't put it together. But keeping in mind the state of this program when he came, how can anyone judge his sideline coaching. You have two young quarterbacks that haven't figured out D1 football yet and one that doesn't know the offense. You have an OL that is not only suspect but injured up. You have some tough hardnosed running backs but not very dynamic. You only have a couple of receivers you can rely on. What play are you gonna call?
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:51 pm I agree that over all the verdict is still out. He still has to sooner than later produce wins. After next year, I may be more on your side of this but right now I don't agree with some assessments on his sideline coaching. The players seemed to have bought into his system and if he was that bad, players would have hit the transfer portal in droves and they didn't. We would have heard rumblings from offensive coaches and some looking for other jobs and that didn't happen either. I can't seem to find any significant number of players from the past that were coached by him that have anything negative to say. He may indeed turn out to be another Neuhiesel. Says the right things and is a great recruiter but just couldn't put it together. But keeping in mind the state of this program when he came, how can anyone judge his sideline coaching. You have two young quarterbacks that haven't figured out D1 football yet and one that doesn't know the offense. You have an OL that is not only suspect but injured up. You have some tough hardnosed running backs but not very dynamic. You only have a couple of receivers you can rely on. What play are you gonna call?
You are arguing with an opinion that you don't know is informed. Who could accurately judge Fisch's play calling? A former offensive coordinator?
Maybe someone with at least as much coaching experience as Fisch?
I would think Fisch had reasons for the plays he calls and I'd have to hear them before I put any stock in opinions.
I don't really understand the psychology behind the negativity. Football is unpredictable. Why not think positive?
Last edited by AV8RCAT on Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This idea that you have to have spent 20 years coaching to recognize when playcalling is suboptimal is hilarious to me.

We went 1-11. We scored less than 20 touchdowns during the entire season. If you think Jedd called the right play 99% of the time but for some reason they just didn’t work, you may want to get a mental health evaluation.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:54 am This idea that you have to have spent 20 years coaching to recognize when playcalling is suboptimal is hilarious to me.

We went 1-11. We scored less than 20 touchdowns during the entire season. If you think Jedd called the right play 99% of the time but for some reason they just didn’t work, you may want to get a mental health evaluation.
Pretty close to the preseason predictions, based on the talent returning, not prediction of stupid play calling.
Tell ya what though, fire up the DVR, pick out a 1/2 dozen plays, and tell us what you think should have been called and then email Fisch and ask why he ran his play instead of yours and then post his reply.
Last edited by AV8RCAT on Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

One thing I think we would all agree upon is that it’s much easier to call a play when a team knows you are going to run it but they just can’t stop it.

We never had that luxury last year. We couldn’t even run it against NAU. Play action stops working and they just bring some pressure and things break down quickly.

He has to own our offensive deficiencies because he calls the plays and our results were embarrassingly dismal but I think once he gets the talent in here to execute his play calls that we will flip that narrative
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:54 am This idea that you have to have spent 20 years coaching to recognize when playcalling is suboptimal is hilarious to me.

Lolololol!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AV8RCAT wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:00 am

Pretty close to the preseason predictions, based on the talent returning, not prediction of stupid play calling.
Tell ya what though, fire up the DVR, pick out a 1/2 dozen plays, and tell us what you think should have been called and then email Fisch and ask why he ran his play instead of yours and then post his reply.
Sure. I’ll get right on that. Just for you.

Should I start with the NAU game or the Colorado game where we lost 34-0 and in his postgame comments Jedd said, “I need to coach better. Our staff needs to coach a lot better.”?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

All I know is there was one drive where we were marching downfield using John and Markoff and play action. They couldn't stop it. We get inside the 10 and neither see the ball again. smh
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

UW game. Up 16-7 and driving. 5 straight run plays, for 40 yards (35 total because of false start penalty). 1st and 10 and the UW 28, and I know Fisch wanted to call a "safe" pass play, but why? We were running the ball down their throats, and in a positive position. If you call play action, you go for the end zone. Especially after 5 straight running plays averaging 8 ypc. If you are going to throw the ball, play-action, then throw a fade. Last you want to do is turn the ball over. But what do we call? A screen play, that UW sniffed out quickly and intercepted the ball!

Just one example of many. But this switched the entire momentum of the game. I don't remember the alignment of the D, but after calling 5 straight running plays, a decent play fake would have held the Safeties and given our WR 1-on-1 with their corners. A deep fade is also a relatively safe pass, especially if there is unlikely to be safety help.

Personally, if you are averaging 8 ypc on a drive, why even throw the ball at all. Run it down their throats until they prove they can stop you. But if you are going to risk the pass, and are running the ball well, you run a fake and go deep. Just one of many times our playcalling caused many a curse word to come out of my mouth; and one that likely cost us a win.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:13 am
AV8RCAT wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:00 am

Sure. I’ll get right on that. Just for you.

Should I start with the NAU game or the Colorado game where we lost 34-0 and in his postgame comments Jedd said, “I need to coach better. Our staff needs to coach a lot better.”?
Thank you for getting right on that. I appreciate it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:11 am UW game. Up 16-7 and driving. 5 straight run plays, for 40 yards (35 total because of false start penalty). 1st and 10 and the UW 28, and I know Fisch wanted to call a "safe" pass play, but why? We were running the ball down their throats, and in a positive position. If you call play action, you go for the end zone. Especially after 5 straight running plays averaging 8 ypc. If you are going to throw the ball, play-action, then throw a fade. Last you want to do is turn the ball over. But what do we call? A screen play, that UW sniffed out quickly and intercepted the ball!

Just one example of many. But this switched the entire momentum of the game. I don't remember the alignment of the D, but after calling 5 straight running plays, a decent play fake would have held the Safeties and given our WR 1-on-1 with their corners. A deep fade is also a relatively safe pass, especially if there is unlikely to be safety help.

Personally, if you are averaging 8 ypc on a drive, why even throw the ball at all. Run it down their throats until they prove they can stop you. But if you are going to risk the pass, and are running the ball well, you run a fake and go deep. Just one of many times our playcalling caused many a curse word to come out of my mouth; and one that likely cost us a win.
This is exactly where he needs to own the head scratching play call. Some games we couldn’t run it but other games we had a rhythm and this was one of them.

Of course what team had three different QB’s throw picks on screen passes. I don’t think I have ever seen such horrible execution on what is or should be a simple and safe play.