Fuck asu

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Fuck asu

Post by Merkin »

Not sure scholarship reductions are that big of deal in football. 85 scholarship players per FBS school plus 15 of so walk-ons.

NFL teams carry 53 players.

Not like MBB losing scholarships since they only have 14 scholarship players.

Not like ASU is going to make a bowl game soon
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

NFL teams also have a 16-man practice squad. So in any given year, NFL teams are likely to suit up 65 or so players, since injuries are assured to happen. With a college football team, you probably need similar numbers, and you are going to carry a number of players who just aren't ready to contribute; so they redshirt. Reduce the scholarship numbers, and instead of a RS sophomore getting action late in the season due to injuries, it could be a true frosh, with a bright future, but not yet ready for primetime.

I also agree that ASu timed their self-imposed bowl ban well.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:20 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:23 am ASu is expected to agree with the NCAA findings regarding the recruiting violations that occurred during COVID. https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... iolations/

Not sure what this means for future penalties, but unlikely any further bowl ban, as technically, ASu was ineligible this year. May be a fine and some possible scholarship reductions? Scholarship reductions make it difficult to rebuild, as it effects depth.
So in the end it turns out to have been relatively well-played. Don't know if the option was available then, but kind of like if we had self-imposed a bowl ban when we knew we'd be bad in 1980 after the Mason stuff, and then the Tunnicliffe/Johnson/Hunley team in 83 could have gone to a bowl.
Too soon
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:06 pm NFL teams also have a 16-man practice squad. So in any given year, NFL teams are likely to suit up 65 or so players, since injuries are assured to happen. With a college football team, you probably need similar numbers, and you are going to carry a number of players who just aren't ready to contribute; so they redshirt. Reduce the scholarship numbers, and instead of a RS sophomore getting action late in the season due to injuries, it could be a true frosh, with a bright future, but not yet ready for primetime.

I also agree that ASu timed their self-imposed bowl ban well.
Does a reduction in scholarships matter at all? With NIL can't a player just easily pay his own tuition?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:23 am ASu is expected to agree with the NCAA findings regarding the recruiting violations that occurred during COVID. https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... iolations/

Not sure what this means for future penalties, but unlikely any further bowl ban, as technically, ASu was ineligible this year. May be a fine and some possible scholarship reductions? Scholarship reductions make it difficult to rebuild, as it effects depth.
Once Tennessee's investigation wrapped up with toothless penalties from the NCAA, I knew ASU wouldn't be in for much of a punishment. To quote the CBS Sports article: "Tennessee recently faced similar NCAA violations. The Volunteers' case ended last summer with the program being put on probation, suffering recruiting sanctions and paying an $8 million fine. Despite admitted widespread Level I violations, Tennessee did not receive a postseason ban."

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:35 am Does a reduction in scholarships matter at all? With NIL can't a player just easily pay his own tuition?

If the self imposed ban didn't auto-extend Dilly's contract, the scholly reductions will:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

LMAO
-JB
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

oof
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

He was trash against us. Staring down receivers and shit.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

wyo-cat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:45 pm He was trash against us. Staring down receivers and shit.
Now he's staring down hope.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Saw a ranking where a talking head pegged ASU as having the worst QB situation in the Big XII so him leaving might be an upgrade.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fishclamps wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:36 pm oof

Look at those skinny arms. No wonder he was a terrible QB.

Now look at these guns.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

From the release: "The agreed-upon penalties in this case include four years of probation for the school, a fine, a self-imposed postseason ban for the 2023 football season, vacation of records for contests in which ineligible student-athletes competed, scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions in alignment with the Level I-mitigated classification for the school. Additionally, the school disassociated an involved booster for a period of five years. The individuals also agreed to or did not contest show-cause orders ranging from three to 10 years consistent with the Level I-aggravated classifications of their respective violations."
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Happy asu fans can keep 70-7. It is literally all they have

And it was also the best thing to happen to UA since 1998
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ASU has to vacate their win against UofA from 2021.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Still a loss on the UA record books though, but no longer a win for ASU, so pull down the billboard!
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:47 am
From the release: "The agreed-upon penalties in this case include four years of probation for the school, a fine, a self-imposed postseason ban for the 2023 football season, vacation of records for contests in which ineligible student-athletes competed, scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions in alignment with the Level I-mitigated classification for the school. Additionally, the school disassociated an involved booster for a period of five years. The individuals also agreed to or did not contest show-cause orders ranging from three to 10 years consistent with the Level I-aggravated classifications of their respective violations."
Got off easy.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

To breakdown the NCAA quote posted by Karpman: "The agreed-upon penalties in this case include:
[1] four years of probation for the school
[2] a fine
[3] a self-imposed postseason ban for the 2023 football season
[4] vacation of records for contests in which ineligible student-athletes competed
[5] scholarship reductions and...
[6] recruiting restrictions in alignment with the Level I-mitigated classification for the school. Additionally...
[7] the school disassociated an involved booster for a period of five years..."

ESPN reporting:"The NCAA did not provide further details about any of those punishments."

Most interested in learning: 1) how many scholarships will this cost ASU? 2) What will be the recruiting restrictions? 3) Who is the involved booster?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

What are you doing ASU...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Merkin wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:49 am
Um... I think SMU is on the phone...
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RichardCranium wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:54 pm
Um... I think SMU is on the phone...
They are tied.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Another Cheater's-Hall-of-Famer from ASsU!!
Former Arizona State coach Herm Edwards receives five-year show-cause penalty for NCAA recruiting violations

The five-year show-cause is one of the longest show-cause penalties for a head football coach in NCAA history

Arizona State coach Herm Edwards received a five-year show-cause penalty from the NCAA for recruiting violations involving more than 30 prospects during the COVID-19 no-visit period, 247Sports reports. The punishment against Edwards, which started on April 15, is one of the longest show-cause penalties handed down to a coach in NCAA history.

According to 247Sports, Edwards, 69, was one of seven former ASU staffers (Prentice Gill, Derek Hagan, Chris Hawkins, Zak Hill and Robert Rodriguez, and equipment employee Eric Bowman being the others) to receive show-cause penalties ranging between three to 10 years by the NCAA.

Arizona State self-imposed a postseason ban for the 2023 season and will vacate nine of its 10 wins between 2021-22 for the use of one or more ineligible players.

The school also agreed to disassociate for five years with Regina Jackson, the mother of former ASU quarterback and LSU Heisman winner Jayden Daniels. Jackson was alleged to have paid for flights and lodging for ASU recruits who impermissibly visited during the COVID dead period.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... iolations/
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Couldn’t have happened to a more sanctimonious prick.

Now what about Antonio Pierce? (not that he’s ever coming back to college football)
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Or as they call it “#1 in innovation”
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

I am shocked I tell you, absolutely shocked!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

What a shit show.

-JB
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

What a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Gotta love it!!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Guess our debt issues don't look so bad now, do they ASU? :D
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Suck it gerbils.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Geez, I thought basketball wins would be more lopsided. That’s still very impressive
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I saw that.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

But but games before they were a university that was worth a crap don't coun't. And if that was the case these games still don't count.
Mike Luke's burner account.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

We will have to wait a long time for them to be a university that’s worth a crap. May never happen
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Is it true that when someone asked James Harden what he scored on his IQ test, answered "I don't know but I passed."