Mike Stoops

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TuiTouchdown

Mike Stoops

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but it seems like Mike Stoops has been demoted to co-defensive coordinator after the promotion of Jerry Montgomery on the OU staff.

http://newsok.com/ou-football-jerry-mon ... le/5382197
the real dill

Re: Mike Stoops

Post by the real dill »

Rumor is he may have interviewed for the LSU job already.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bob fired OC and former UA coach Josh Heupel after averaging 36+ points per game.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but it seems like Mike Stoops has been demoted to co-defensive coordinator after the promotion of Jerry Montgomery on the OU staff.

http://newsok.com/ou-football-jerry-mon ... le/5382197
Serves him right given his fondness for co-assistant coaches during the last 3-4 years of his tenure at UofA.

Is he still banging hooters floozies?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

prh

Post by prh »

Is it crazy that I would be down to replace Yates with Mike?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Will he recruit?
prh

Post by prh »

CalStateTempe wrote:Will he recruit?
Yeah his recruiting before Mark left is way better than Yates. I’m not sure his recruiting afterwards was worse than Yates. Biggest issue was roster management.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

I put together a 25-man All-Stoops team at Arizona.
prh

Post by prh »

Gimino wrote:I put together a 25-man All-Stoops team at Arizona.
Great article AG. One question, is Kadeem omitted because he was never really utilized during Stoops' half season in 2011? Stoops recruit but your article is geared more toward actual on-field play instead of recruiting.

I know there's a less than 0% chance, but I'm actually pondering how it would be to bring him back (as DC obviously).
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

prh wrote:
Gimino wrote:I put together a 25-man All-Stoops team at Arizona.
Great article AG. One question, is Kadeem omitted because he was never really utilized during Stoops' half season in 2011? Stoops recruit but your article is geared more toward actual on-field play instead of recruiting.

I know there's a less than 0% chance, but I'm actually pondering how it would be to bring him back (as DC obviously).
That was my reasoning for not including Ka'Deem -- only had a half-season under Stoops. Ka'Deem goes on the All-RichRod team (such as it is).

Less than a 0% percent sounds about right.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

So Mike Stoop was fired based on One freaking Game. College Football is becoming more like NFL on firing coaches mid season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That is one fine team. Lots of NFL talent. Worth noting Foles is the only UA QB to take a snap in the NFL during the entire PAC era going back to 1978.

Some thought that Mark Stoops was the real brains to the defense, which suffered after he left.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

cordera89 wrote:So Mike Stoop was fired based on One freaking Game. College Football is becoming more like NFL on firing coaches mid season.
The OU defense has been pretty mediocre for awhile considering the talent they get. Most of their loses in recent memory were due to their inability to stop anyone. I don't think it was a one game decision.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

DrWildcat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:So Mike Stoop was fired based on One freaking Game. College Football is becoming more like NFL on firing coaches mid season.
The OU defense has been pretty mediocre for awhile considering the talent they get. Most of their loses in recent memory were due to their inability to stop anyone. I don't think it was a one game decision.
Oklahoma was 89th in total defense and 51st in scoring defense. Not good enough for Oklahoma.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

And with Bob retiring this was only a matter of time.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Not even close. His defenses at Oklahoma weren't super great lately. They'd given up 35+ points in a game like 17 times in the last 5 years which to Oklahoma fans is unacceptable.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

DrWildcat wrote:
I'm not going to argue on that, but someone their had to take the fall. But what i feel is that He got fired off of one game performance against their Hated Rival. Giving up 48 point and 501 total offense is unacceptable to a school like OU. Not every team can have the best defense in country regardless of how much talent have. You either coach them right or you coach them wrong.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cordera89 wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:
I'm not going to argue on that, but someone their had to take the fall. But what i feel is that He got fired off of one game performance against their Hated Rival. Giving up 48 point and 501 total offense is unacceptable to a school like OU. Not every team can have the best defense in country regardless of how much talent have. You either coach them right or you coach them wrong.
The Texas game was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Perfect timing on firing him. Puts everyone else on notice and allows for new voices to step up to fix what needs fixing.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Remember that great girl from back in the day who you hit a rough patch with, thus bringing certain things to light that let you both know that long term it wouldn’t work out? But every now and again you catch yourself remembering the good times...

That’s Mike Stoops and Arizona Football.
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote:Perfect timing on firing him. Puts everyone else on notice and allows for new voices to step up to fix what needs fixing.
Bingo
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Remember that great girl from back in the day who you hit a rough patch with, thus bringing certain things to light that let you both know that long term it wouldn’t work out? But every now and again you catch yourself remembering the good times...

Part of the reason you remember her as great is the girl before her was an absolute train wreck who when you think about her you throw up. All your friends hated her and your mom hated her even more. You are so physically upset about the fact you date her or wasted any time with her that the next gal was such a breath of fresh air.

That's John Mackovic and Arizona Football

Then you dated that chick who used to be really really hot but played FAST and had a HARD Edge reputation to her. At first you though WOW, this is the one my true #OKG!...but then her true colors came out when you first suspected she was trying to see someone else behind your back and then was not really that hot and then was mean and now you despise her ever though she still is kind of hanging around because you kind of become a defacto father to her son

That's Rich Rod and Arizona Football

Then there is that gal from high school way back in the day who everyone liked but was kind of boring. Your mom loved her as she was so sweet and kind. You caught her folding your laundry one day with your Mom. Did all the little things right but eventually just got boring but your mom was right to like her a lot. Sometimes boring is good

That's Dick Tomey and Arizona Football
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
prh

Post by prh »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Newportcat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Remember that great girl from back in the day who you hit a rough patch with, thus bringing certain things to light that let you both know that long term it wouldn’t work out? But every now and again you catch yourself remembering the good times...

Part of the reason you remember her as great is the girl before her was an absolute train wreck who when you think about her you throw up. All your friends hated her and your mom hated her even more. You are so physically upset about the fact you date her or wasted any time with her that the next gal was such a breath of fresh air.

Then you dated that chick who used to be really really hot but played FAST and had a HARD Edge reputation to her. At first you though WOW, this is the one my true #OKG!...but then her true colors came out when you first suspected she was trying to see someone else behind your back and then was not really that hot and then was mean and now you despise her ever though she still is kind of hanging around because you kind of become a defacto father to her son

Then there is that gal from high school way back in the day who everyone liked but was kind of boring. Your mom loved her as she was so sweet and kind. You caught her folding your laundry one day with your Mom. Did all the little things right but eventually just got boring but your mom was right to like her a lot. Sometimes boring is good

Dick Tomey was the victim of another bone headed Jim Livengood decision. There's a long, ugly list ... but boy, could he balance the books.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat wrote:

Mackovic was the homecoming queen in all 3 high schools she attended, but was forced to leave each school. Sometimes you want to date a former homecoming queen.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol: bringing it Newport!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Remember that one girl from the 80's...you remember right. Was pretty hot and just seemed to be so perfect. Just understood you so well and you felt like soulmates. A freaking Unicorn, an 8 Hot and a 2 Crazy. You do not talk about her much to anyone anymore and seems like such a distant memory but man, was she something special. Then she left you for that other more attractive guy. The guy who always gets all the chicks. The starting quarterback type. You have always hated that guy, always seemed like such a Spoiled Child. And she left you for him and eventually figured out it was fools cardinal & gold.

That's Larry Smith and Arizona Football
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

Mackovic was the homecoming queen in all 3 high schools she attended, but was forced to leave each school. Sometimes you want to date a former homecoming queen.
Mackovic was the trifecta...a redheaded hairdresser named Tiffany

Sid

Post by Sid »

Newportcat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

Mackovic was the trifecta...a redheaded hairdresser named Tiffany

Unicorn, doesn’t exist. Fucking epic!!!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I am curious what type of girlfriend Kevin Sumlin turns out to be. My gut tells me a kind of a forgettable girl that does not last long and really nothing special came of it. Like that girl you dated (Who came from a lot of money) and broke up with and literally feel nothing for anymore. You never facebook stalk them still. You never look at old pictures thinking what might have been. You never throw away a bunch of pictures in disgust.

Just a blah relationship that you seemed excited for at first but then it turned about to be very average and forgettable where you sort of wonder why you wasted any time on it. Kind of realize you caught her a bit past her prime.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Arizona is the rebound boyfriend for Sumlin. Sumlin put a lot of effort into her last relationship, and thought she was in love, and she thought he was just in love with her. But he saw his friends had really hot chicks, and in their circle of friends you needed to have really hot girlfriends.

Once Sumlin's looks started to fade, she was unceremoniously dumped but did get to keep all the gifts he promised her.

So Sumlin decided she didn't want to get so emotionally invested in her next relationship. But if he grows in her, maybe she can put more effort into it.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Either these are hypothetical relationship analogies or some people on this board have some serious problems.

:lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat wrote:Either these are hypothetical relationship analogies or some people on this board have some serious problems.

The later.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azgreg wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:Either these are hypothetical relationship analogies or some people on this board have some serious problems.

The later.
Definitely the later for me!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:Arizona is the rebound boyfriend for Sumlin. Sumlin put a lot of effort into her last relationship, and thought she was in love, and she thought he was just in love with her. But he saw his friends had really hot chicks, and in their circle of friends you needed to have really hot girlfriends.

Once Sumlin's looks started to fade, she was unceremoniously dumped but did get to keep all the gifts he promised her.

So Sumlin decided she didn't want to get so emotionally invested in her next relationship. But if he grows in her, maybe she can put more effort into it.
Challenge with the rebound is typically there is a reason the person is on a rebound (Not as great as they think they are) or they leave quickly when they find something hot again. In college football, usually its the first circumstance. Tough to identify many great coaches who have been fired or dumped.

Arizona should look for that sleeper gal who was cute in high school and nice but then shows up at the 10 year reunion and you are like Wow, how did you become a raiderette (Now that is a true story). Get her early before anyone sees her true worth and do everything possible to keep her after her hotness shows up to all.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol. Yup. The choo type of coach he’s been advocating for on this board.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Choo is very smart that’s why

Sumlin won’t last long at Arizona. Zero momentum at all right now and his recruiting appears to be garbage which is the main reason he was hired.

I bet he gets fired after year 3 if not sooner.

Hire the up and comer always. Ced Dempsey understood this better then anyone with Larry smith and dick Tomey
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newportcat wrote:Choo is very smart that’s why

Sumlin won’t last long at Arizona. Zero momentum at all right now and his recruiting appears to be garbage which is the main reason he was hired.

Hire the up and comer always. Ced Dempsey understood this better then anyone with Larry smith and dick Tomey
I still will give Sumlin time on the recruiting, had to start from square 1. Only way I'd fire him before 3 years are done is if we finish this year like 4-8, do the same next year, and start 2020 like 2-4 or something with no real improvement in recruiting. Every fosch should get 3 years, especially coming into a bare bones cupboard like RR left.

If we do eventually replace Sumlin though we do really got to go with the 30-40 year old mid major coach or someone that isn't a retread or old.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Choo is very smart that’s why

I still will give Sumlin time on the recruiting, had to start from square 1. Only way I'd fire him before 3 years are done is if we finish this year like 4-8, do the same next year, and start 2020 like 2-4 or something with no real improvement in recruiting. Every fosch should get 3 years, especially coming into a bare bones cupboard like RR left.

If we do eventually replace Sumlin though we do really got to go with the 30-40 year old mid major coach or someone that isn't a retread or old.

You remember that divorced girl you thought was hot but your buddy from Texas said was a waste of time especially after she got a ton of money in the divorce and after a couple dates you realize she isn’t that hot at all and is boring as fuck and there is nothing up there and you need to eject immediately and move on but unfortunately you let her move in right away because one of your kids liked her

That’s Kevin Sumlin and Arizona Football
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Not Alabama good.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Mark was always the brains anyway.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Best recruiting coach we have had this century and he assembled the best coordinators we have had this century as well.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Is she his 11th wife?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hooters waitress at one time?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:49 pm Hooters waitress at one time?
They got divorced unless he found another one. :lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Like someone said about the new Lakers coach: Too bad, she's probably a nice person.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He still looks like a grown up Bam-Bam.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?