Re: Sark

Post by OSUCat »

A better place for this.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What I posted in the Pac-12 thread.
CalStateTempe wrote:This is what happens when employers don't have a specific drug and alcohol policy and/or a specific plans for connection with a substance abuse professional for reasonable suspicion or impairment at work.

I would say his behavior at the Trojan alumni group would constitute impairment and reasonable suspicion.

yup
and
It is very concerning that he is airing this to the press.

Haden is opening himself up to a HUGE HIPAA violation and lawsuit considering how he is handling Sark publicly.

(thanks Dill for the correction)
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Didn't even think of HIPPA....damn.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

wyo-cat wrote:Didn't even think of HIPPA....damn.
Me either....
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

To make it more official.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It's ok. I think of it everyday. In my line of work, confidentiality is sacrosanct and I have no tolerance for colleagues or staff who violate it.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

OSUCat wrote:To make it more official.
Only six weeks or so too late.

What an epic clusterfuck.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ok, so maybe we can pencil USC as a win?

;)

'Rado, USC, and Wazzu gets us to 7 wins and the rest is gravy.

I kid, I kid (too soon?)
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CalStateTempe wrote:Ok, so maybe we can pencil USC as a win?

;)

I kid, I kid (too soon?)
They might play better under an interim coach or, in fact, under no coach at all.

Either of those things have to be better than playing under drunk Lane Kiffin.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am thinking more of running the table with the UDub game being the toughest as long as Anu stays upright.

That interior line of Bundage, Tagaloa and Alsadek is really a great run blocking group
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

SCCats wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Ok, so maybe we can pencil USC as a win?

;)

I kid, I kid (too soon?)
They might play better under an interim coach or, in fact, under no coach at all.

Either of those things have to be better than playing under drunk Lane Kiffin.
They played lights out for Ed Orgeron, then hired sark...
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

CalStateTempe wrote:What I posted in the Pac-12 thread.
CalStateTempe wrote:This is what happens when employers don't have a specific drug and alcohol policy and/or a specific plans for connection with a substance abuse professional for reasonable suspicion or impairment at work.

I would say his behavior at the Trojan alumni group would constitute impairment and reasonable suspicion.

yup
and
It is very concerning that he is airing this to the press.

Haden is opening himself up to a HUGE HIPPA violation and lawsuit considering how he is handling Sark publicly.
*HIPAA

Hope he gets help
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks Dill. overlooked that.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:I am thinking more of running the table with the UDub game being the toughest as long as Anu stays upright.

That interior line of Bundage, Tagaloa and Alsadek is really a great run blocking group
maybe this isn't the right thread, but Utah is looking damn good.

I know we get them at home, but Id be surprised if we beat them.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Football aside, This is really sad.

Get help Sark.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

OK seriously, if you have unnamed assistant coaches talking openly about Sark being drunk during a game then there is serious internal issues at USC. I think their arrogance and hubris as a program has caught up with them.

I don't see how Sark ever returns to the sidelines as an employed head coach at USC. But you never know because Haden's job itself may well be on the line after this clusterf**k of a hire.

Sarks drinking problem had to be well known before arriving at USC.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Gladiator Cat wrote:OK seriously, if you have unnamed assistant coaches talking openly about Sark being drunk during a game then there is serious internal issues at USC. I think their arrogance and hubris as a program has caught up with them.

I don't see how Sark ever returns to the sidelines as an employed head coach at USC. But you never know because Haden's job itself may well be on the line after this clusterf**k of a hire.

Sarks drinking problem had to be well known before arriving at USC.
After the Troy event, he should have been directed to USC's employee assistance program and whatever doctor is on staff for the institution to deal with medical/psychological impairment issues among employees.

A nice, hush hush plan could have been worked out.

I'd bet the farm, NONE of that happened.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Just to add emphasis on the ASU drunk part Main posted earlier.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Oh yes I completely agree. Right now Pat Haden and USC are in complete panic mode.

Pandora is out of the box and it looks ugly at USC football.

I've said it before, USC is the type of school that can get away with a situation like this most of the time and overcome it pretty quickly.

On the other hand, the same situation at a school like Arizona, it would devastate the program for years to come.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

The coaches had to be furious if Sark showed up drunk to the ASU game. Players should be furious, parents should be furious, alumni should be furious. I wouldn't allow me kid to to goto that type of culture or situation. Get the guy help, but you can't let him be the HC, and probably should have been dealt with sooner. I never thought Sark was USC good, but if he gets treatment he should be able to find a new place to coach.I guess the first step is for Sark to admit he has a problem.

The whole thing is really is shocking to me. I haven't been around people that have had these types of addictions, so maybe this type of thing is on par.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

OSUCat wrote:The coaches had to be furious if Sark showed up drunk to the ASU game. Players should be furious, parents should be furious, alumni should be furious. I wouldn't allow me kid to to goto that type of culture or situation. Get the guy help, but you can't let him be the HC, and probably should have been dealt with sooner. I never thought Sark was USC good, but if he gets treatment he should be able to find a new place to coach.I guess the first step is for Sark to admit he has a problem.

The whole thing is really is shocking to me. I haven't been around people that have had these types of addictions, so maybe this type of thing is on par.
As far as coaching, Sark is on the fast track to a UTEP type school, and only if he can get his personal life turned around.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I hear Dennis Erickson is interested in the USC position if it opens.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Irish27 wrote:I hear Dennis Erickson is interested in the USC position if it opens.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

https://twitter.com/InsideUSC?ref_src=t ... r%5Eauthor" target="_blank

inside USC is really spilling the beans.

Kiffen had liquor in the equipment truck, Ed O banned it, Sark brought it back.

Addiction experts in August knew that Sark needed to be in treatment.

If there is a paper trail, USC is fucked.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Pop McKale wrote:I feel like I'm stealing gumby's thunder here, but let the list begin...

"7-and-7 Win Sark"
"Cutty Sark"

Those are the easy kills. Others out there I'm sure...
Just saw this thread. Was coming to make a Cutty Sark joke. You know me well.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fireball shots do have less alcohol than Patron, so I guess that is a step in the right direction.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yup. From the first article Merkin posted.
And yet, how can USC fire Sarkisian for having an alcohol problem — a legitimate disease — when school officials waited two months too long to make him own up to it and seek help for it?

That doesn’t seem fair, and it may be illegal.

That’s the mess the Trojans now find themselves in, and it all stems from Haden’s decision in August to let him keep coaching rather than mandate that he take the year off to seek treatment and come back healthy in 2016.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CalStateTempe wrote:Yup. From the first article Merkin posted.
And yet, how can USC fire Sarkisian for having an alcohol problem — a legitimate disease — when school officials waited two months too long to make him own up to it and seek help for it?

That’s the mess the Trojans now find themselves in, and it all stems from Haden’s decision in August to let him keep coaching rather than mandate that he take the year off to seek treatment and come back healthy in 2016.
An addict who is actively using is NOT protected under ADA; an addict in recovery may request reasonable accomatation....

I would expect USC will support him through inpatient treatment, but would be surprised if he is ever reinistated to active status as head coach.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Really should have hired Orgeron...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Fishclamps wrote:Really should have hired Orgeron...
No, they shouldn't have... And posting it multiple times does not make it any less faulty.

Order on is reportedly a great recruiter and solid position coach, who had a nice run as the interim coach. He had a stint as HC was an abject failure. He might have been as good of a hire as either Kiffin or Sark... But none of the 3 should have been even considered.

This is USC. I cannot believe how deep they have gone bottom fishing for their recent FB coaching hires.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
No, they shouldn't have... And posting it multiple times does not make it any less faulty.

Order on is reportedly a great recruiter and solid position coach, who had a nice run as the interim coach. He had a stint as HC was an abject failure. He might have been as good of a hire as either Kiffin or Sark... But none of the 3 should have been even considered.

This is USC. I cannot believe how deep they have gone bottom fishing for their recent FB coaching hires.
That the Pete Carrol Coaching Tree for ya. Who would be better to coach the almighty USC.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

pc in NM wrote:

An addict who is actively using is NOT protected under ADA; an addict in recovery may request reasonable accomatation....

I would expect USC will support him through inpatient treatment, but would be surprised if he is ever reinistated to active status as head coach.
Not true. Multiple HR people who have dealt with similar situations have stated that Sark is most definitely protected under ADA. Remember Haden had said a few weeks ago that Sark would voluntarily get some help. Sark at the time said he didn't think he had a problem but he would seek help to see if he did.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dc4azcats wrote:
pc in NM wrote:

Not true. Multiple HR people who have dealt with similar situations have stated that Sark is most definitely protected under ADA. Remember Haden had said a few weeks ago that Sark would voluntarily get some help. Sark at the time said he didn't think he had a problem but he would seek help to see if he did.
Which is why USC is in a hell of a mess for not following protocol in these situations.

In real world, coach would mandated to go through a substance abuse professional, develop of plan for remediation, and when completing treatment, for whatever that treatment may be, then is cleared by the SAP before being reinstated. If someone lapses during the probationary period, they are done and fired with cause. The ADA does cover alcoholics who are NOT currently drinking, but it offers no protections to those that are.

What PC said is true: In USC world, it appears that outside that none of this was followed. (I would have been all over risk management after the Hail Troy event to ensure we where doing things by the book. By the book does NOT put the onus on Sark to get help) Alcoholics will be the first to admit that they have a problem and it often takes external factors (family, employer, etc) to get them to the help that they need.

USC could be on the hook here for his treatment, but they are likely clear from his buyout and do not have to reinstate him, because he showed up to the workplace impaired, if what is said about the ASU game is true, and this mornings events.

Not every HR person knows the laws of FMLA and the ADA as they should, and often either 1) makes exceptions for "valued" members of an employer, or 2) does not know the nuances well enough to even know when their policies governing the health and safety of their employers are faulty. When employers do not have established policies for impairment, they end up in the mess that USC finds itself in.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Agreed to disagree then. Coaching in the SEC and coaching in the Pac could be wildly different, what do I know. He did well as the interim coach though, and the players had his back. Doesn't seem like any of the USC players have given two flying fucks about Sark since he got there.

I mean RR flopped hard at Michigan, but it was a bad fit and he got shafted by Lloyd Carr. Sometimes when stuff doesn't work out you never find out the truth. Who knows what may have contributed to Orgeron's downfall at Ole Miss.

Long story short, Orgeron did well as the interim and Sark was already known as a mediocre coach at Washington, so it was a dumb hire.
az91

Post by az91 »

USC should fire Pat Haden on Monday for this debacle.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

USC is far too busy with damage control to have anyone even down the road in mind to right the ship, unless they elevate John McKay--and he's far too old and, even so, has got too much horse sense to even consider that hot fire of a job on an interim basis.

This is what happens when you keep hiring former athletes who aren't engaged in policy framing or discussions. You end up with zero football men who can run a clean program and still mollify the boosters.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Hopefully the treatment helps Sark and Sark willing to get help. Feel bad for his family, kids (just divorced). Sark will never return to USC coaching and difficult for Sark to ever coach FBS again. But He's young, so there's time. But will be awhile.

Looks like this started long ago. Who knows when...

LAtimes obtained 100's of receipts and expense reports from Washington days. Talked to several people from there as well. His Drinking prevalent there along with public episodes.

Not sure how common it is in FBS to have coaches allowed to pack or do pack alcohol on game trips, have on campus or in locker rooms, but expect this will create some discussion about that too.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp ... story.html
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

That LA times article paints a pretty bad picture that seems to go beyond just going through a recent divorce.
During a stop at a rib joint in Nashville in January 2013, for example, Sarkisian and three assistants ordered four shots of Patron Silver, four shots of an unspecified liquor and five beers. The coach cashed out at 11:53 a.m.

Some associated with Washington's football program remain unabashed supporters. But Sarkisian's use of alcohol became a running joke among some Washington players, some of whom spoke about the topic on the condition they not be named because of the personal nature of the issue
At the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix for a Pac-12 Conference head coach meetings, Sarkisian ran up $106 in minibar charges in one day in May 2012 and spent more than $1,600 over two days at the Renaissance Indian Wells Resort and Spa's pool bar in 2013.
"Coach Sark is still having fun at USC!" former Huskies tight end Michael Hartvigson wrote on Twitter at the time. He added the hashtag #ThingsHaventChanged.

Two of Sarkisian's highest-profile players at Washington, defensive lineman Danny Shelton and linebacker Shaq Thompson, both high NFL draft picks this year, joined in the social media quips.

Shelton tweeted a sarcastic #shocked hashtag in reference to the incident. Thompson responded with an emoji laughing and shedding tears.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

At the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix for a Pac-12 Conference head coach meetings, Sarkisian ran up $106 in minibar charges in one day

3 drinks?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:At the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix for a Pac-12 Conference head coach meetings, Sarkisian ran up $106 in minibar charges in one day

3 drinks?
Tin of cashews.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
michcat

Post by michcat »

Merkin wrote:At the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix for a Pac-12 Conference head coach meetings, Sarkisian ran up $106 in minibar charges in one day

3 drinks?

Been there, done that. 3 diet cokes and a bag of chips....
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

CalStateTempe wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
pc in NM wrote:

Which is why USC is in a hell of a mess for not following protocol in these situations.

In real world, coach would mandated to go through a substance abuse professional, develop of plan for remediation, and when completing treatment, for whatever that treatment may be, then is cleared by the SAP before being reinstated. If someone lapses during the probationary period, they are done and fired with cause. The ADA does cover alcoholics who are NOT currently drinking, but it offers no protections to those that are.

What PC said is true: In USC world, it appears that outside that none of this was followed. (I would have been all over risk management after the Hail Troy event to ensure we where doing things by the book. By the book does NOT put the onus on Sark to get help) Alcoholics will be the first to admit that they have a problem and it often takes external factors (family, employer, etc) to get them to the help that they need.

USC could be on the hook here for his treatment, but they are likely clear from his buyout and do not have to reinstate him, because he showed up to the workplace impaired, if what is said about the ASU game is true, and this mornings events.

Not every HR person knows the laws of FMLA and the ADA as they should, and often either 1) makes exceptions for "valued" members of an employer, or 2) does not know the nuances well enough to even know when their policies governing the health and safety of their employers are faulty. When employers do not have established policies for impairment, they end up in the mess that USC finds itself in.
I hear ya CST but the HR person I know worked for Tucson Electric Power and discussed with company lawyers what they could and couldn't do. Not to mention a lawyer on the other site said Sark is protected by the ADA. I'm not a lawyer nor am I in HR but in cases where things like this are up for interpretation, you can bet that Sark can afford the best lawyers out there to make his case for him.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Hopefully the treatment helps Sark and Sark willing to get help. Feel bad for his family, kids (just divorced). Sark will never return to USC coaching and difficult for Sark to ever coach FBS again. But He's young, so there's time. [/url]
Don't anybody kid themselves with sympathy for Sark and his situation. Hoping he gets help should be a secondary reaction. Fury should be the reigning emotion. This guy, not ironically named KeenObserver over at WeAreSC, said it better than I could've:
http://www.wearesc.com/forums/forum/mai ... y-for-sark

Before I get the stay classy non sense. Let me just say that I've seen enough episodes of intervention to know just how self absorbed addicts are and how much carnage they do to the people around them. Sure I can feel for the condition but I cannot forgive the behavior. Sark wasn't going back to his room and downing a bottle of cheap vodka. He was bellying up to the bar, doing shots and basically making an ass of himself. So he didn't get the sigh when his wife handed him his papers and didn't get the sign when he was publicly outed at the spirit of Troy and now can't even get to practice sober.

So I know so people will tell me that he is a human being suffering and needs our support and blah blah blah. Well I see your bleeding heart with a Sark can go ---- himself. He basically stole 3 million dollars-- paid by tuition, athletic boosters and your ticket dollars.He is supposed to be the leader of young men, many of whom have millions at stake themselves-- not to mention people like Daelin Hayes who is deciding to mover 1500 miles away and already putting in papers to start his college career. Of course us alumni and fans have to hear all of the humiliating comments by the other fan bases.

When I get around to it, my next thread will chronicle the absolute incompetent suckitude that is Pat Haden, but he's just as bad as Drunky Shitstorm.

FOs all the way around Fight on to the players but fuck off to Sark and Haden. Total assholes.

edit, took out some of the cussing
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Needs to find a less stressful job like in the broadcast or network booth.

Both John Madden and Dick Vitale have commented on how much easier it is than coaching. Don't know what to do with all their free time. Some people who are natural in the booth (RichRod) miss the excitement and camaraderie though. Even Mackovic left the comfort of the network show.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

3 drinks?
Yeah that is basically nothing. Or maybe I am also a self-absorbed alcoholic.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote: Needs to find a less stressful job like in the broadcast or network booth.

Both John Madden and Dick Vitale have commented on how much easier it is than coaching. Don't know what to do with all their free time. Some people who are natural in the booth (RichRod) miss the excitement and camaraderie though. Even Mackovic left the comfort of the network show.
And should not following recruiting. That makes people cray cray.
gumby

Post by gumby »

The biggest scandal is that a millionaire was drinking Coors Light in the land of a thousand microbreweries.

But, seriously, I was at the Cal-UW game and noticed The Zone, between the stadium and the lake. It's where they sell booze, er, I mean, it's where they have "full service." There's a kiddie play area, too. Thoughtful.

When Cal moved out to a two-score lead, the place became packed. And, of course, thousands of people missed both kickoffs while at this cocktail party.

Universities foster this environment for the bucks, but then have to turn pious when something like this happens.

Can't watch a game without drinking? Drinking before and after is "unacceptable?" Sounds like a drinking problem to me.