Sark

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dirtbags

Re: Sark

Post by dirtbags »

pretty disheartening stuff detailed in those articles & tweets. best of luck to coach sark and his family -- hope he gets clean and is back on his feet again soon.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

U$C just fired Sark.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Kevin O'Neill now has a fulltime drinking buddy...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar to figure out that Haden is a lawyer and is aware of his options.
Right where I want to be.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Pat Haden has got to be the worst AD to never have worked at Michigan. Sark has apparently done some really intolerable shit, but they essentially sat complicit with it, and Sark now has a case if he decides to sue them for wrongful termination. I am not saying I agree with it, but from a legal standpoint USC really shot themselves in the foot here. My guess is they didn't act because they knew how it would effect their incoming class, and were hoping the problem would resolve itself. Now they will reap the consequences of trying to self-preserve instead of handling the problem correctly.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

No shit.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Main Event wrote:

See my comments above about RichRod going 1-8 against rivals, and 0-3 against UCLA.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Main Event wrote:
None of those coaches are going to deal with that dumpster fire. They should probably just call Todd Graham now and get it over with.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

splitsecond wrote:
Main Event wrote:
None of those coaches are going to deal with that dumpster fire. They should probably just call Todd Graham now and get it over with.
It's been Madonna's dream job for the past half an hour. Lock him up.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No division rival coach will go there.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Main Event wrote:
Maybe, Whittingham and FItzgerald but only with a new AD. But I doubt any of these guys would want to goto USC.

I think ASU will probably be looking for a coach though.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:No division rival coach will go there.
Maybe graham can post a picture on twitter with the USC cheerleaders with #DreamJob as his announcement to the ASU players.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

splitsecond wrote:
Main Event wrote:

If a major program AD is sitting on a hotter seat than Haden I don't know of it. Those guys will want to bring in their own AD.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Toad would be a perfect fit. ;-)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Whittingham has been in Utah for 10 plus years now and has turned down many other more stable offers so I have so I don't see him going and I don't see Rich Rod going but a Graham is always an option
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Whittingham has a rocky relationship with Utah's AD. Could be a fit at USC...if they fired their current AD. Hard to think anyone would jump into that situation when USC has become a coaching carousel.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... ball-coach" target="_blank
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

This I agree would be plausible - Greg Byrne. If Haden to leave/fired. USC would want someone to repair toxicity there, high ethics, fundraiser, grew up in college athletics, comes in with outstanding reputation, hardly anything to throw rocks at and connected...

Greg Byrne.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

ASUHATER! wrote:Whittingham has been in Utah for 10 plus years now and has turned down many other more stable offers so I have so I don't see him going and I don't see Rich Rod going but a Graham is always an option
What offers?
Scummy Dick Douglas

azgreg wrote: No shit.
Not true. I read some rehab professional stating firing him was the only action that would allow him to focus solely on his recovery. How serious was he going to take his rehab with a high profile job like SC hanging over his head?
Scummy Dick Douglas

Not sure how anyone can describe the SC job as a "dumpster fire". They have an AD that has made some pretty poor hires, but they are not under sanctions, are located in a prime talent pool, and have elite tradition and financial backing. (Not to mention, the roster is not exactly lacking for talent.) SC, even in its current state is still a top 5 college coaching job.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:This I agree would be plausible - Greg Byrne. If Haden to leave/fired. USC would want someone to repair toxicity there, high ethics, fundraiser, grew up in college athletics, comes in with outstanding reputation, hardly anything to throw rocks at and connected...

Greg Byrne.

Does USC does gold outs, red outs or white outs? If not, then they will.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Whittingham at USC would be scary. The Trojans could get back to dominating the Pac with a good coach.

Go Cats!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Anderson's probably bored with Oregon State. Time to move again?
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Chip Kelly.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:Chip Kelly.
Chip Kelly wants to do what Chip Kelly wants. USC Boosters want Coaches to listen to boosters. Not a good mix imo.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azgreg wrote: No shit.
Just some food for thought: If Sarkisian had been like 10-2 last year and 5-0 so far this year they probably let him go for treatment and bring him back next year.

But when you aren't winning it's all "We hold ourselves to high standards and we need to do what's best for Steve (which is being fired) so he can focus on a full recovery." #compassion #getwellsteve
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

If Sark was 5-0 right now, we wouldnt be having this discussion. The leaks being let out by everyone is just fodder for when they fire him. If they wait, it becomes about the disease and how USC screwed him over. Haden is trying to save USC as much money as possible right now.

Im sure the reported list for USC coaches will be something like this:

Chip Kelly

Art Briles

Gary Patterson

Jack Del Rio

Bob Stoops

I'm sure the actual list will look like this:

Gene Chizik

Kyle Wittingham

Bo Pelini

Todd Graham

Pat Fitzgerald

Tom Herman
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:If Sark was 5-0 right now, we wouldnt be having this discussion. The leaks being let out by everyone is just fodder for when they fire him. If they wait, it becomes about the disease and how USC screwed him over. Haden is trying to save USC as much money as possible right now.

Im sure the reported list for USC coaches will be something like this:

Chip Kelly

Art Briles

Gary Patterson

Jack Del Rio

Bob Stoops

I'm sure the actual list will look like this:

Gene Chizik

Kyle Wittingham

Bo Pelini

Todd Graham

Pat Fitzgerald

Tom Herman

Apparently RR is on there as well. Would be interesting if they got somebody in the conference. Don't understand the love affair with Chizik without Newton he was nothing.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Doubt Haden will make the next hire. But... Given that, we should know status of Haden next couple of weeks (recruiting).

For USC:

Sumlin
Wittingham
Dantonio (would be scary for league imo)
Freeze
CTG (long shot, some baggage)

NO on RR (baggage, risk, inherited lightning rod right or wrong regarding risk, 3-3-5, higher booster division etc. Not good fit / timing)
Scummy Dick Douglas

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Doubt Haden will make the next hire. But... Given that, we should know status of Haden next couple of weeks (recruiting).

For USC:

Sumlin
Wittingham
Freeze

NO on RR (baggage, risk, inherited lightning rod right or wrong regarding risk, 3-3-5, higher booster division etc. Not good fit / timing)

There are 11 PAC teams that should be praying SC doesn't hire Dantonio or Whittingham.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

USC is not a dumpster fire. This is a bump in the road for them. Pat Haden and Sark are a smoldering mess of rubble that met their expiration date.

Effectively their incompetence and other tragic anomalies whice are apart of life have caught up with them to create the perfect storm.

Both have melted down and will now be replaced as the ship is righted by powerful interests and the Trojan legacy carries on.

Coaches go to USC to win National Championships and that's exactly what a high quality top tire coach will do in the future at USC.

The rest of the PAC12 schools are shitting their collective pants because they all know what we know. If, when USC makes a competent high caliber football coaching hire, they will rule the roost again, just like in the Carrol era.

As for Rich Rod being seriously considered for that job.........forget about, that's comedy central material. RR legacy, rightly or wrongly is that of a middle of the road type coach that works at a school that needs to take chances. All of the risk takers in college football are doing what hes doing now, but USC ain't bringing that crap to the Rose Bowl anytime soon.

His days of wearing the glass slipper at a power-house are behind him IMO. RR is mostly looking at lateral moves from here on out.

Now Greg Byrne leaving is an entirely different subject that should be taken more seriously. Greg Byrne is on everyone's short list.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Doubt Haden will make the next hire. But... Given that, we should know status of Haden next couple of weeks (recruiting).

For USC:

Sumlin
Wittingham
Freeze

A&M can money whip Sumlin. The only hope is that Sumlin wants to get away from the batshit craziness that is A&M and College Station.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

the real dill wrote:
A&M can money whip Sumlin. The only hope is that Sumlin wants to get away from the batshit craziness that is A&M and College Station.
What exactly is the "batshit craziness that is A&M and College Station?" :?:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Over at Shaggy Bevo, UT fan really wants Sumlin to USC. almost makes me think that he is beating them in recruiting and they want him out of the picture.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

dc4azcats wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Yup. From the first article Merkin posted.
And yet, how can USC fire Sarkisian for having an alcohol problem — a legitimate disease — when school officials waited two months too long to make him own up to it and seek help for it?

That doesn’t seem fair, and it may be illegal.

That’s the mess the Trojans now find themselves in, and it all stems from Haden’s decision in August to let him keep coaching rather than mandate that he take the year off to seek treatment and come back healthy in 2016.
An addict who is actively using is NOT protected under ADA; an addict in recovery may request reasonable accomatation....

I would expect USC will support him through inpatient treatment, but would be surprised if he is ever reinistated to active status as head coach.
Not true. Multiple HR people who have dealt with similar situations have stated that Sark is most definitely protected under ADA. Remember Haden had said a few weeks ago that Sark would voluntarily get some help. Sark at the time said he didn't think he had a problem but he would seek help to see if he did.
My understanding is you can't be fired for being an alcoholic, but you can absolutely be fired for things you did while drunk. You don't just get a free ride on previous actions by claiming addiction.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
the real dill wrote:
What exactly is the "batshit craziness that is A&M and College Station?" :?:
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

USC has fired coach Steve Sarkisian, the school announced Monday.

"After careful consideration of what is in the best interest of the university and our student-athletes, I have made the decision to terminate Steve Sarkisian, effective immediately," USC athletic director Pat Haden said in a statement.

"I want to thank Clay Helton for stepping into the interim head coach role, and I want to add how proud I am of our coaching staff and players and the way they are responding to this difficult situation. Through all of this, we remain concerned for Steve and hope that it will give him the opportunity to focus on his personal well-being."

http://espn.go.com/losangeles/college-f ... head-coach" target="_blank
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
prh

Post by prh »

Being in SLC, I can tell you that there's virtually zero chance of Whittingham going anywhere. The "rocky" relationship with Hill was vastly overblown by the local media (ehh sound familiar?) and was caused by Utah not matching ntOSU's ridiculously long and rich DC offer to Sitake (can't find the numbers, but I think it was for 5+ years). Unless he loses his entire coaching staff because of money, he'll want to stay, and as long as they win enough, he won't be let go. Players love playing for him, he's embraced by the community (very different culture around here), and he's pretty set here barring something crazy. Also, he's been through an OC virtually every year, so it's not like he's used to a steady coaching staff like we are.

That being said, he would kill it at USC, no doubt about that. Combine his perpetually excellent ST and D with the athletes he could get at SC would be devastating for the rest of the p12.
gumby

Post by gumby »

gumby wrote:The biggest scandal is that a millionaire was drinking Coors Light in the land of a thousand microbreweries.

But, seriously, I was at the Cal-UW game and noticed The Zone, between the stadium and the lake. It's where they sell booze, er, I mean, it's where they have "full service." There's a kiddie play area, too. Thoughtful.

When Cal moved out to a two-score lead, the place became packed. And, of course, thousands of people missed both kickoffs while at this cocktail party.

Universities foster this environment for the bucks, but then have to turn pious when something like this happens.

Can't watch a game without drinking? Drinking before and after is "unacceptable?" Sounds like a drinking problem to me.
Yep.

http://tucson.com/sports/columnists/han ... 70915.html" target="_blank

Can remember Phx scribes pounding beers with Jim Brock, baseball coach. And Frieder, of course, had problems.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:
gumby wrote:The biggest scandal is that a millionaire was drinking Coors Light in the land of a thousand microbreweries.

But, seriously, I was at the Cal-UW game and noticed The Zone, between the stadium and the lake. It's where they sell booze, er, I mean, it's where they have "full service." There's a kiddie play area, too. Thoughtful.

When Cal moved out to a two-score lead, the place became packed. And, of course, thousands of people missed both kickoffs while at this cocktail party.

Universities foster this environment for the bucks, but then have to turn pious when something like this happens.

Can't watch a game without drinking? Drinking before and after is "unacceptable?" Sounds like a drinking problem to me.
Yep.

http://tucson.com/sports/columnists/han ... 70915.html" target="_blank

Can remember Phx scribes pounding beers with Jim Brock, baseball coach. And Frieder, of course, had problems.
Seeing that about Mickey Mantle when I was a kid I remember reading the Yankees whowould often head to the bars after the games.

Probably been 40 years since I read Ball Four by Jim Bouton, but do seem to recall a lot of alcohol abuse detailed. The drinkers could not understand the marijuana use by the younger players.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bruce Feldman says Mora will be a target
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

MrBug708 wrote:Bruce Feldman says Mora will be a target
Hilarious. I'd love the idea of getting healthy at my rivals expense and have said in the past people should try this more often.

But I assume UCLA is already paying him a lot and he seems to have a pretty good thing going.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Ohhhh the dreaded public vote of confidence. The kiss of death!
USC athletic director Pat Haden has the support of the school's president.

The school posted a statement from president C.L. Max Nikias on Tuesday saying that the school was fortunate to have Haden as its athletic director. Haden fired USC coach Steve Sarkisian on Monday after he reportedly showed up drunk to practice on Sunday.

It was the second known incident involving alcohol involving Sarkisian. He said a combination of alcohol and medication led to an unfortunate moment at an August booster function. While Sarkisian said he was going to seek treatment, he kept his duties coaching the team. And Haden has been criticized for the way he's handled Sarkisian's struggles.

"As president of USC I am very, very fortunate to have Pat Haden as our Athletic Director - as is the entire Trojan Family," Nikias' statement said. "He is a man of true character and integrity, he cares deeply for our student athletes, and he always makes their well-being his highest priority.

"Pat Haden has been doing an outstanding job in leading Trojan Athletics in the past five years and I want to take this opportunity to reiterate my unwavering support for him.

"I look forward to working with Pat Haden as our USC AD for many years to come."
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... 58214.html" target="_blank

Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I can assure you Pat Haden has a truck-load of fire extinguishers located in his main office because his seat is about to burst into flames.

He's about one more bungling job away from updating his resume.
gumby

Post by gumby »

He'll retire as a rich, old man. I don't feel sorry for these people and their "tribulations." Most people would kill to have their "problems."
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I thought Pat Haden was going to kill it at U$C when he replaced Garrett. I remember telling an SC alum in my office they were in good hands. Boy was I wrong.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion