Coaching Searches

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: Coaching Searches

Post by azcat49 »

That’s a big bet. He has done a nice job and especially has done some amazing things recruiting wise but who knows if he can go up against the big boys in P5
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't think that will win the presser. FCS head coach going P5 head coach reminds me a lot of Ben Lindsey, who won 2 NAIA national championships. We all know how that worked out, although a different sport.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sumlin to UNLV?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

CU would become a whole lot more attractive to other conferences all of a sudden.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:42 am CU would become a whole lot more attractive to other conferences all of a sudden.
Because of Deion? Colorado as a brand is not much of a draw and their team still sucks.

Maybe if he turns it around but to me it’s still a novelty pick until he proves he can win on a major college football level and that’s not going to happen for 2-3 years at least.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Having an African American head coach is a plus, but if CU gets any interest, it's probably due to being an AAU school, which attracted it to the PAC in the first place.

As of last month there were only 13 black head coaches in FBS. https://hithighlights.com/list-of-black ... s-schools/
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:05 pm
CardiacCats97 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:42 am CU would become a whole lot more attractive to other conferences all of a sudden.
Because of Deion? Colorado as a brand is not much of a draw and their team still sucks.

Maybe if he turns it around but to me it’s still a novelty pick until he proves he can win on a major college football level and that’s not going to happen for 2-3 years at least.
I bet he turns it around in year one. He got the #1 recruit in the nation to go to Jackson State. He can sell Colorado.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:25 pm

I bet he turns it around in year one. He got the #1 recruit in the nation to go to Jackson State. He can sell Colorado.
This isn’t basketball where 1 recruit can make a difference. CU needs talent like we needed talent. He needs to pull in multiple top 25 recruiting classes.

He can sell CU? What, they shared a natty before any recruit was born? They have the Rocky Mountains, Skiing and Coors beer? Or maybe you can watch a Buffalo run onto the field? Not sure CU is such an easy sell these days.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:26 pm

This isn’t basketball where 1 recruit can make a difference. CU needs talent like we needed talent. He needs to pull in multiple top 25 recruiting classes.

He can sell CU? What, they shared a natty before any recruit was born? They have the Rocky Mountains, Skiing and Coors beer? Or maybe you can watch a Buffalo run onto the field? Not sure CU is such an easy sell these days.
If only their admin had you in the room to caution them to avoid this $5M/year mistake.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I've read that Sumlin isn't really an option at all.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Very Vegas of UNLV to give either name a sunset act. Like Westgate Resorts giving Barry Manilow a residency.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I remember hearing Bison fans going on and on about Dan Hawkins when he left Boise for CU.

It was a disaster. I was there loud for the loss to Montucky State among others.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Yes, coach prime will be able to sell Boulder. Expect a recruiting splash but there'll be a learning curve at best and a whiff at worse when it comes to the Xs/Os scheming. With Colorado hiring Sanders, so goes college football following college basketball's recent hiring trend of going gambling on brash, former famous players - Patrick Ewing, Juwan Howard, Anfernee Hardaway.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

LOL someone is hoping and praying....

Colorado AD Rick George told the press Sunday that the program doesn’t “have the money yet,” but that the Buffaloes should be in solid position to get it.

https://www.outkick.com/deion-sanders-c ... y-details/
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Basketcats wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:09 am LOL someone is hoping and praying....

Colorado AD Rick George told the press Sunday that the program doesn’t “have the money yet,” but that the Buffaloes should be in solid position to get it.

https://www.outkick.com/deion-sanders-c ... y-details/
The same shmuck who said Deion will take them "back to national prominence."

I have my popcorn ready to watch this shit show.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Merkin wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:10 pm Having an African American head coach is a plus, but if CU gets any interest, it's probably due to being an AAU school, which attracted it to the PAC in the first place.
Colorado has had TWO recent African American coaches and did other conferences bother taking further notice? For better or worse, for universities to vocally do so treads a reactive, high risk narrative. See how heated Deadspin is today:

"Deion Sanders is done with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), as “Coach Prime” has chosen to leave an undefeated Black school for a major payday at a predominately white institution (PWI) that has a football team that just went 1-11."

"For all the debates and conversations about if Sanders’ time at JSU was a positive or negative experience for HBCUs, what can’t be denied is the feeling that there was so much left to be done. However, that was never really feasible for a man that only saw JSU as a step stool."

"Sanders wasn’t a savior for HBCUs, he was the Pied Piper playing a hypnotizing song that put those who refused to educate themselves on his past into a trance. He was a pimp that used JSU and HBCUs like cheap prostitutes to further his self-promotion. And for all the people who are still in denial about who Sanders was before he showed up, who he was during his short tenure at JSU, and who he will always be, you are living in a fairytale world."

"The thing that made Sanders’ time at JSU so fascinating was that too many believed that his antics and soundbites were helping HBCUs as a whole — when they weren’t. And yes, while more football games may have been aired on ESPN3, and money was donated — for the most part, those were all things that benefitted Sanders, not HBCUs across the board."

"Sanders didn’t care about making HBCUs better. He cared about making the one that paid him better — until he could parlay that into a better opportunity for him and his sons at a PWI."

Last edited by CatsbyAZ on Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

People shouldn’t complain that Black head coaches at HBCUs don’t get bigger opportunities and then also complain that a Black head coach from a HBCU took a bigger opportunity.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:28 pm People shouldn’t complain that Black head coaches at HBCUs don’t get bigger opportunities and then also complain that a Black head coach from a HBCU took a bigger opportunity.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azgreg wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:54 pm
How in the world does this guy miss the point that what me-first Deion was likely to do for his own gain does not at all match what Deion promised over and over to his own gain and with little gain for the HBCU sphere?

Maybe Bomani Jones makes it clear?

“He can go take whatever job he wants but when you come into the first job and sell the idea that you are going to be the savior of HBCUs and you are going to raise the playing field not just of Jackson State but for everybody else, AND you going to do it because God told you do it…so then when you leave, yes people are going to ask questions about what exactly it was.”

On the other hand Bomani acknowledges how people should’ve known Deion was over promising:

“[Jackson State] is going to play in the Celebration Bowl next week in Atlanta…They played in that bowl game last year. South Carolina State blew their doors off in that game last year. Do you know the head coach of South Carolina State? Can you name a single player on South Carolina State? I can’t. It brought attention to Deion. It brought attention to Jackson State. You weren’t going to bring attention to all these other schools for the time period he was there.”
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Saw a piece where the new Cincinnati coach will play his team he just left (Louisville) less than 30 days after he left in the Pin stripe bowl. Not sure I have ever seen that. Should be interesting as he coaches against his kids and his former assistants. Not sure why he would want to coach in that bowl game
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Troy Taylor went 30-8 while at Sacramento State. Here’s to hoping for a mediocre tenure while in Palo Alto. Really sick of Stanford.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Didn’t we look into hiring Niumatalolo at one time?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:30 am Didn’t we look into hiring Niumatalolo at one time?
Yep. If Sumlin didn't pop up he would've been our coach.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't think he will be out of a job very long. What he did at Navy is amazing with the academic and size restrictions he had to put up with.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He did great the first 10-11 years there winning an average of 9 games a season and always beating Army, but outside of 1 year they've been a like 3-4 win team since 2018 and lost to Army a few times.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Would love it if Jedd would find a place and hire Ken to his staff in any capacity. He would be a great recruiter for us, but don't know if he would have any interest in coming here...
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Great coach. Their move to the AAC conference did then no favors from a W/L perspective. Not sure who they are going to get who can do better.

Watching him before that Army kick with his head down and not wanting to look sure seems like he knew what was on the line. Heartbreaking really
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Getting easier all the time!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Good luck with that Cade.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Jimbo Fisher fired, A&M has to pay him $76 million :shock:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... es-confirm

Urban Meyer? He is available and can start recruiting immediately.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I wonder if A&M was done paying off Sumlin, which they owed $10M.

These huge contracts sure incentivizes mediocre play for huge payoffs, see RichRod and Sumlin for Arizona too.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They paid Sumlin 10m in cash to leave, so yes they are done with him
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't recall both coaches getting fired after a game that wasn't the end of the season, although it probably has happened more than a few times.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Brady Hoke is retiring.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Some team should take a shot on Jerry Krill who is at New Mexico St. He has a winning record there and is bowl eligible again. No idea how he wins there.

UCLA is going to fire Kelly and then the Fisch to UCLA rumors will be hot and heavy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:45 am UCLA is going to fire Kelly and then the Fisch to UCLA rumors will be hot and heavy

With Robbins looking to raid Athletic Department funds due to the cash on hand fiasco, I can't imagine Fisch isn't at least considering it.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We need to really look at A&M for some players looking to jump ship.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tomey protege. Was GA for him at Hawaii, and OC/QB at Arizona.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Latest scuttlebutt on A&M is Mark Stoops? Sweet baby jesus let that be true