Coaching Searches

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Coaching Searches 2016

Post by ASUHATER! »

Rumors that USC is officially reached out to Chip Kelly
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:Rumors that USC is officially reached out to Chip Kelly
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:So..

USC
Rutgers
Minnesota
Maryland
South Carolina
Missouri
Georgia
Illinois
Miami
Virginia
Illinois has hired Bill Cubit (Interim HC) with a two year contract.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Minnesota hired a coach two weeks ago.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... head-coach
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Ah so Minnesota and Illinois go with the interim. Iowa State hires Toledo's coach and Virginia Tech hires Fuente.

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:Unfortunately the RR to South Carolina rumors are heating up again in the Twitterverse. Expect his name to pop up at any Power 5 school with an opening that gets turned down by their Tier 1 candidates.
No not really,
Oh, ok.
Worst possible scenario for us could be underway. From yesterday:

http://www.campusrush.com/les-miles-mar ... 14899.html" target="_blank

So Carolina whiffed (in a public way) on Herman, and are widely reported to be targeting Kirby Smart. Well, he is a UGA alum - so that situation got more interesting this AM. If he turns down the Cocks, they will have to move to plan C - and that would put them in a real pickle. Nobody wants to be a Plan C.

Would Rich Rod? I don't know... They'd have to throw some money at him, and it is in a geographic location that is likely attractive to him. We might find out.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We don't want to be the 13th school looking for a coach and be days to weeks behind everyone else on our search. Means we'd probably have to go with our C choice as well

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:We don't want to be the 13th school looking for a coach and be days to weeks behind everyone else on our search. Means we'd probably have to go with our C choice as well
I posted in the last week or two that this would be the absolute worst possible scenario. And it was the only one under which I saw RR getting one of the jobs he might want. We'd get a late start, we'd be at the back of the line in the most frenetic coaching carousel I ever remember encountering, and it would leave virtually zero time to salvage anything out of this recruiting class.

I really hope Rich Rod sticks around, but if he is going to bolt, I hope it happens soon - like this week.

Not much Byrne can really do to prep for this, not with this many jobs open. Any good candidate is already talking to other schools - and will not want to waste his time on a hypothetical. Not when he has real opportunities to consider in his spare time, while continuing to coach into the bowl season.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If he leaves it needs to be in the next 48 hours for us to have a chance at anyone halfway good. If not we'll be hiring some 33 year old wide receivers coach from the ACC.

CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Hopefully Byrne is already considering potential coaches to go after. Because it sure looks like RR has one foot out the door.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CatMG wrote:Hopefully Byrne is already considering potential coaches to go after. Because it sure looks like RR has one foot out the door.
I am sure Byrne is considering some... But that does not help our cause while those being considered are engaged in actual discussions about jobs that are already open.

IF (capitalized) things were to go down this way... I would consider buying a closet full of Clemson gear. :shock:

Come on Kirby... Columbia would be a great place to start your head coaching career.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Honest question. How much better of a job is South Carolina than Arizona? It isn't like they are some traditional power. They weren't much before Holtz and Spurrier. So the UA apparently has to sit and wonder if RR is leaving for just about any job that opens up. Great.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Historically South Carolina is absolutely a worse program than Arizona. Just because they are an sec job in the easier division makes them more desirable as of now though.

CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Wonder where Richt goes? Do you think if S. Carolina had their choice between RR and Richt, who would they go after?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CatMG wrote:Wonder where Richt goes? Do you think if S. Carolina had their choice between RR and Richt, who would they go after?
I would have to guess Richt by a wide margin, but I don't think they get a shot at him.

I would guess Richt either takes some time off or ends up at Miami, his alma mater.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CatMG wrote:Honest question. How much better of a job is South Carolina than Arizona? It isn't like they are some traditional power. They weren't much before Holtz and Spurrier. So the UA apparently has to sit and wonder if RR is leaving for just about any job that opens up. Great.
I don't think So Car is a much better job than AZ. Slightly better? Probably... Tremendous fan support, and in a region with a ton of HS talent. A lot of fierce competition for it though.

I would guess it might appeal to RR more than most, though. It is much closer to home, and someone posted that he has a summer home on Lake Oconee in GA; that is not very far from Columbia at all. He didn't buy that place because he needed to, so he must like it there.

Plus it is in the SEC, and the less competitive division to boot. Lots of talent in the cupboard. And one of the few places where fan support is pretty insane without expecting a natty.

South Carolina has concerned me from the start; it has many of the same appeals as Va Tech, but is an easier place to recruit to IMO.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Richt is only 55 so he probably has some time left. I'd bet on him going to Miami.

Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Until RR proves the 3-3-5 can consistently work against power teams (It is hit and miss. Does well against Utah and SC, not so much against Stanford and UCLA.) I do not believe there is any chance he is offered even a lateral move to either the SEC or the Big 10. He has said he was frustrated by not being able to finish the job at Michigan. Now is his chance. He has his players, his system, and his coaches in place. This was supposed to be the year to "win big", but no one knows what could have been because of the incredible injuries that hit this team. Short of a repeat of the injury bug, next year should tell us what trajectory this team is actually on.

Go Cats!!
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Also, during Richt's PC this morning, he said if the right job comes along he would be willing to go back into coaching "within the next 24 hours" so it doesn't look like he is wanting to take a break.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Pat Haden never ceases to amaze and names Clay Helton as the HC for the future.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It has to be Miami then

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catinfl wrote:Pat Haden never ceases to amaze and names Clay Helton as the HC for the future.
There was a ton of internal pressure both from prominent alums and boosters to hire Helton. Haden didn't want to go out on his own and make a hire that then blew up in his face a la Cutty Sark. So now if Helton fucks up he can say, "That's the guy YOU wanted."
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Ha....
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Haden still needs to go

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:
catinfl wrote:Pat Haden never ceases to amaze and names Clay Helton as the HC for the future.
There was a ton of internal pressure both from prominent alums and boosters to hire Helton. Haden didn't want to go out on his own and make a hire that then blew up in his face a la Cutty Sark. So now if Helton fucks up he can say, "That's the guy YOU wanted."
Another example of not being a good leader/not making good calls from Haden; he gets the pressure from emotional alums and succumbs to the pressure because his position is weak from his public fuck ups. Dude needs to go.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Last edited by Coop Cat on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

the real dill wrote:Also, during Richt's PC this morning, he said if the right job comes along he would be willing to go back into coaching "within the next 24 hours" so it doesn't look like he is wanting to take a break.
Sure he does... He needs a day off.

I will really be surprised if he does not land at Miami; I suspect he wil have a number of options.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Not sure what their reaction was supposed to be but still pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLCziB4aOpY
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

:lol: What?
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Chicat wrote:
This hire doesn't scare me one bit. I was afraid SC was going to spend a whole lot of money to make a big splash, but it seems they went with a vanilla pick. And that's fine by me.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

This was a Niklas hire, not a Haden hire
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

the real dill wrote::lol: What?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If (a big if) he's actually getting consideration, I'd love to hear those making the decision talk about why they're considering him.

"You see we liked how he turned Florida into a dumpster fire and we know, with even less resources to work with here, he can do even worse for us."

"Wait, that didn't come out right."

The only thing I can think of is that they know they're screwed on their search so they're trying to massively lower expectations by floating this name so they can beat those much lower expectations with whoever they eventually hire.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Like RR to ntSC
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CalStateTempe wrote:Like RR to ntSC
Yeah kinda. After the heart attack of hearing Muschamp's name mentioned, RR with no Casteel and they're going to spend $1M a year on a great DC starts to sound pretty good.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

SCCats wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Like RR to ntSC
Yeah kinda. After the heart attack of hearing Muschamp's name mentioned, RR with no Casteel and they're going to spend $1M a year on a great DC starts to sound pretty good.
Do you think they are smart enough to orchestrate something like this? If so, then I must at least credit them with superior strategic thinking to that on display from the other USC. The boys in South Carolina would have Pat Haden at checkmate before he could say "3 hires in a row".

Pretty sure A RR announcement would result in a collective sigh of relief from Gamecock fans everywhere if they think Muschamp might be the guy.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

SCCats wrote:
the real dill wrote::lol: What?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If (a big if) he's actually getting consideration, I'd love to hear those making the decision talk about why they're considering him.

"You see we liked how he turned Florida into a dumpster fire and we know, with even less resources to work with here, he can do even worse for us."

"Wait, that didn't come out right."

The only thing I can think of is that they know they're screwed on their search so they're trying to massively lower expectations by floating this name so they can beat those much lower expectations with whoever they eventually hire.
That 's exactly how a lot of Cat fans felt about RR before everyone read 3 & Out.

But at least RR had a very impressive stint at WVU and is widely regarded as a brilliant and innovative offensive coach; Muschamp has one data point and it was an abject failure.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Harvey Specter wrote:

So Carolina whiffed (in a public way) on Herman, and are widely reported to be targeting Kirby Smart. Well, he is a UGA alum - so that situation got more interesting this AM. If he turns down the Cocks, they will have to move to plan C - and that would put them in a real pickle. Nobody wants to be a Plan C.

Would Rich Rod? I don't know... They'd have to throw some money at him, and it is in a geographic location that is likely attractive to him. We might find out.
Just as a reality check, Chapel Hill is a hella long drive from Charleston, WV. 300 miles isn't really a weekend drive, and if you're going to have to fly to get back home, then it doesn't much matter how far away you are.

I don't think UNC would be terribly desirable in terms of being closer to home.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Puerco wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Just as a reality check, Chapel Hill is a hella long drive from Charleston, WV. 300 miles isn't really a weekend drive, and if you're going to have to fly to get back home, then it doesn't much matter how far away you are.

I don't think UNC would be terribly desirable in terms of being closer to home.
I think UNC could be a possible threat if the job opens, although not nearly as big of one as South Carolina.

As for distance... a 300 mile drive is 4-5 hours, and appeals to many students from So Ca who come to school in Arizona for college. For a coach making well into 7 figures, it is a 1 hour flight, which makes for an easy day or overnight trip. That is a far cry from being 2,000 miles away.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost is UCF's new football coach
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Miami job is not that great. They play in a stadium an hour from campus. Yes, it's a recruiting hot-bed. But Miami is a private school and fan support is tenuous, especially at the new location. Miami also doesn't pay as well as perceived. It's a good job, not a great job.

South Carolina job isn't that special either. Before Spurrier, they were nothing for a loooong time. Fan support is solid but I don't see RR leaving a good paying gig for a job in a conference that's just as tough (if not tougher) than the Pac 12 South. Also, RR would be leaving a lot of money on the table if he leaves early (before June).
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Among the candidates in the region Rhoades is believed to have interviewed: Air Force coach Troy Calhoun; Utah State coach Matt Wells; and Colorado State coach Mike Bobo. But a fourth candidate from outside the Rocky Mountain area is meeting with Rhoades in Denver on Tuesday, according to sources: California coach Sonny Dykes.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--m ... ncaaf.html
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Coop Cat wrote:
Among the candidates in the region Rhoades is believed to have interviewed: Air Force coach Troy Calhoun; Utah State coach Matt Wells; and Colorado State coach Mike Bobo. But a fourth candidate from outside the Rocky Mountain area is meeting with Rhoades in Denver on Tuesday, according to sources: California coach Sonny Dykes.
Cal job > Mizzou job

Sonny looking for a contract extension?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

carolinacat wrote:
Coop Cat wrote:
Cal job > Mizzou job

Sonny looking for a contract extension?

Correct on the new contract:
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Enough love for the job he has done? And what exactly is "the job he has done" in his time there?

This what, year 3? And he has gotten them back this season to about to where they were toward the END of Tedford's tenure, after shitting the bed for 2.

He's got some Chutzpah, and he is a good offensive coach, but I really don't think he has proven all that much - and I am REALLY happy he is not our HC.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Harvey Specter wrote:Enough love for the job he has done? And what exactly is "the job he has done" in his time there?

This what, year 3? And he has gotten them back this season to about to where they were toward the END of Tedford's tenure, after shitting the bed for 2.

He's got some Chutzpah, and he is a good offensive coach, but I really don't think he has proven all that much - and I am REALLY happy he is not our HC.
Me too!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

uacats from TOS wanted Dykes so freaking bad (no pun intended). Hates RR.
-JB