Coaching Searches

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azpenguin

Re: Coaching Searches 2016

Post by azpenguin »

Chicat wrote:Unfortunately the RR to South Carolina rumors are heating up again in the Twitterverse. Expect his name to pop up at any Power 5 school with an opening that gets turned down by their Tier 1 candidates.
We haven't heard anything really so far, and the regular season is over for AZ so I doubt he's a tier 1 candidate anywhere at this point. I know he's been talked about with the SC job, but again... how do you sell SEC boosters on the 3-3-5?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

azpenguin wrote:
Chicat wrote:Unfortunately the RR to South Carolina rumors are heating up again in the Twitterverse. Expect his name to pop up at any Power 5 school with an opening that gets turned down by their Tier 1 candidates.
We haven't heard anything really so far, and the regular season is over for AZ so I doubt he's a tier 1 candidate anywhere at this point. I know he's been talked about with the SC job, but again... how do you sell SEC boosters on the 3-3-5?
I'm not sure if the 3-3-5 (with castel at least) would make the move, or at the very least it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

OSUCat wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
I'm not sure if the 3-3-5 (with castel at least) would make the move, or at the very least it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.
RichRod said in an interview when he came to AZ that he wasn't "married to the 3-3-5" but his record indicates that's where he goes. If a school told him who he could and couldn't hire, or what schemes he could and couldn't run, I don't think he'd go. He's dealt with institutional meddling with his programs before and that's probably not something he wants to deal with again. Arizona gives him free reign to run things. That's kind of a big deal.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

No not really, Latest I heard is that South Carolina withdrew Tom Herman name of the list, Now South Carolina is zero in on Kirby Smart to become HC. I haven't heard nothing on South Carolina on RR.
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:
No not really,
Oh, ok.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Less Miles just said this is likely his last game at LSU
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:Less Miles just said this is likely his last game at LSU
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Les Miles will be the next head coach at USC (so-cal). If he isn't then I'd guess USC may wait to see what happens with Chip Kelly and the Eagles.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Well LSU just become the new Nebraska of firing a winning coach. What is up with USC and Chip Kelly rumor. Do you really think Chip Kelly want to go too USCw if they were that desperate of finding a coach that is up and coming. Yes their no denial that Kelly record in CFB is 46-7 but do you really think that Other high profile job that would be more impelling other than USC.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Depending on the SC site you visit, they are getting Chip Kelly, John Harbaugh, or Sean Payton. They've already turned down Jim Mora and Mark D'Antonio
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Fuente to a VT, will retain Bud Foster as DC. Per footballscoop
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

the real dill wrote:Fuente to a VT, will retain Bud Foster as DC. Per footballscoop
Fuente and pairing him up with the retention of Foster? Not too shabby.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Well that should end the talk of RR going to VT now. I guess we can say that RR is staying at Arizona for long haul now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:Well that should end the talk of RR going to VT now. I guess we can say that RR is staying at Arizona for long haul now.
The talk of RR to VT was over a month ago.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

SCCats wrote:
the real dill wrote:Fuente to a VT, will retain Bud Foster as DC. Per footballscoop
I think RR could have killed it at VT if he had kept Foster. Too loyal to Casteel I guess.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

UAEebs86 wrote:
SCCats wrote:
I think RR could have killed it at VT if he had kept Foster. Too loyal to Casteel I guess.
I agree with you.

The only thing I might add is the sentence 'I think RR would kill it at Arizona if he had Foster [or some other great DC]. Too loyal to Casteel I guess.'
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:Well that should end the talk of RR going to VT now. I guess we can say that RR is staying at Arizona for long haul now.
I doubt that talk was over long ago if Whitlock didn't think he could lure RR away or most VT fans probably didn't want him their.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well maybe the old DLINE coach will retire and we can bring in a guy who will hit the road and get his own big uglies. That would be a good start.

And let's hire LB coach and let him recruit rather than Casteel being over that group along with his coordinator responsibilities
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I doubt that talk was over long ago if Whitlock didn't think he could lure RR away or most VT fans probably didn't want him their.
Huh?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAEebs86 wrote:
SCCats wrote:
He wasn't getting that job unless Fuentes (and possibly others) turned it down first, regardless of whether or not he is still married to Casteel. Judging from his tenure at Michigan, his devotion to the 3-3-5 is as big a problem (if not more so) than his allegiance to Casteel.

If I am LSU, I make the loser of the ACC championship an offer he can't refuse. And stay on Fedora even if UNC wins Saturday... I think Dabo will be a tougher pull.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Huh?
I know I spell AD name wrong
I was saying that I highly doubt theirs wasn't any talk at all.
Or AD would consider him from the beginning but it doesn't seem that way.
I glad that VT has their man and we can forget about RR name ever being mention at another job.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
SCCats wrote:
He wasn't getting that job unless Fuentes (and possibly others) turned it down first, regardless of whether or not he is still married to Casteel. Judging from his tenure at Michigan, his devotion to the 3-3-5 is as big a problem (if not more so) than his allegiance to Casteel.

If I am LSU, I make the loser of the ACC championship an offer he can't refuse. And stay on Fedora even if UNC wins Saturday... I think Dabo will be a tougher pull.
I don't think neither Dabo or Fedora would leave their respected school after the success their having. I mean Who is going to take them seriously of wanted to become LSU HC. LSU need to do what VT did, Hired a up and coming coach.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Toledo Matt Campbell might be taking the Iowa State job.

Hawaii has hired Nick Rolovich former OC of Nevada.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

cordera89 wrote:I don't think neither Dabo or Fedora would leave their respected school after the success their having. I mean Who is going to take them seriously of wanted to become LSU HC. LSU need to do what VT did, Hired a up and coming coach.
So you think someone is going to be inclined to pass up LSU to stay at the juggernaut that is UNC football? (If Fedora was offered)

Interesting hot take. I assume you've got some inside info to make this a value add proposition instead of just a fairly ridiculous opinion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I wonder if USC or LSU could poach Shaw or ND'S Brian Kelly?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

SCCats wrote:
cordera89 wrote:I don't think neither Dabo or Fedora would leave their respected school after the success their having. I mean Who is going to take them seriously of wanted to become LSU HC. LSU need to do what VT did, Hired a up and coming coach.
So you think someone is going to be inclined to pass up LSU to stay at the juggernaut that is UNC football? (If Fedora was offered)

Interesting hot take. I assume you've got some inside info to make this a value add proposition instead of just a fairly ridiculous opinion?
Mack Brown did well at UNC until Texas came calling. UNC is a pretty good gig, but not one of the 5-10 elite jobs in CFB. One of those comes calling and it would be hard to turn down.

He grew up in Texas and spent 4 years coaching in Mississippi; what state is in between those 2? If he doesn't leave after this season, and UNC has another 9+ win season next year, expect his name to be rumored as replacing Charlie Strong, who IMO has one foot in the grave but will get another season.

If Fedora does bolt, I think RR could be a candidate to replace him. ACC, close to home, and a job he'd have a decent chance of getting. Whether or not RR would want it I have no idea, but there won't be many (any?) better jobs in that region of the country he'd have a chance at getting in the next few years.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:I wonder if USC or LSU could poach Shaw or ND'S Brian Kelly?
If I were either one of them I would make a run at Shaw. Not sure if he'd leave, but it's worth a shot.

I am pretty sure Brian Kelly will never leave ND, and they can keep him. His pomposity and pious attitude is right at home in South Bend. #NotAFan
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Harvey Specter wrote:
SCCats wrote:
He grew up in Texas and spent 4 years coaching in Mississippi; what state is in between those 2? If he doesn't leave after this season, and UNC has another 9+ win season next year, expect his name to be rumored as replacing Charlie Strong, who IMO has one foot in the grave but will get another season.

If Fedora does bolt, I think RR could be a candidate to replace him. ACC, close to home, and a job he'd have a decent chance of getting. Whether or not RR would want it I have no idea, but there won't be many (any?) better jobs in that region of the country he'd have a chance at getting in the next few years.
Granted Fedora has a good set up but he won't be getting an offer from LSU. Go Wiki his season by season W/L. He's an average caliber coach. Might as well hoard Les Miles.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I wonder if USC or LSU could poach Shaw or ND'S Brian Kelly?
If I were either one of them I would make a run at Shaw. Not sure if he'd leave, but it's worth a shot.

I am pretty sure Brian Kelly will never leave ND, and they can keep him. His pomposity and pious attitude is right at home in South Bend. #NotAFan
He reminds me of Todd Graham in a few different ways.
prh

Post by prh »

And LSU is now keeping Miles
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Granted Fedora has a good set up but he won't be getting an offer from LSU. Go Wiki his season by season W/L. He's an average caliber coach. Might as well hoard Les Miles.
I have looked at his history, and I find it quite impressive,

He has had tremendous success by season 4 walking into less than ideal situations. Now he has not stayed anywhere long enough to prove he can sustain it, but he's had opportunities that prevented him from staying any longer.

In an era where every coach not named Meyer, Saban, or Harbaugh supposedly needs 6 years to make an impact, I think the guy's record is very impressive.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Harvey Specter wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
SCCats wrote:

He has had tremendous success by season 4 walking into less than ideal situations. Now he has not stayed anywhere long enough to prove he can sustain it, but he's had opportunities that prevented him from staying any longer.

In an era where every coach not named Meyer, Saban, or Harbaugh supposedly needs 6 years to make an impact, I think the guy's record is very impressive.
Interestingly enough he really wanted the Arizona job when it opened up
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catinfl wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Interestingly enough he really wanted the Arizona job when it opened up
I think we are better off with RR, for different reasons than most,

I think out program might be in better shape after year 4, but I also think we'd be at greater risk of having to look for a replacement and starting over.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

This might be Graham's last chance to leave, if he is going to
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Mike London at Virginia has been fired/resign.

Matt Campbell agrees to be Iowa State Head Coach (espn says the announcement will be later today)
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

prh wrote:And LSU is now keeping Miles
Too weird. I wonder if their only target was Jimbo so if they got the no from him then it was panic time or if there's some kind of internal power play going on (some kind of assistant AD/Boosters v. AD v. President type thing).

They'll probably have to comment on it more eventually so it will be interesting to see what they say.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

OSUCat wrote:Mike London at Virginia has been fired/resign.

Matt Campbell agrees to be Iowa State Head Coach (espn says the announcement will be later today)
Way past due for Virginia.

Miami, Usc, south Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Minnesota, Illinois all still open.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I was reading some coaching carousal news and saw this nugget. Seth Littrell (current assistant head coach of offense for North Carolina) is a leading candidate for the North Texas job.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Add UGA
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sage&Silver wrote:Add UGA

Amazing.

Georgia is 9-3 and put coach Mark Richt in position for the 10th double-digit-win season of his 15-year tenure with a bowl victory.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Richt would have been high on my wish list if Rich Rod would have left.

He'll end up with a good job, if he wants one. Not an elite coach, but a damn good one - and one of the better human beings in the college football coaching ranks.

So who sits atop UGA wish list? I'd bet Fedora is pretty high up there. Maybe Tom Herman?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

i would not be surprised to see Miami go after Richt. He is an alum and backed up Jim Kelly.

I would expect Mizzou, So Carolina, UVa, & (eventually) North Carolina to go after him.

Wouldn't it be entertIning if UNC and UGa swapped head coaches.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:Richt would have been high on my wish list if Rich Rod would have left.

He'll end up with a good job, if he wants one. Not an elite coach, but a damn good one - and one of the better human beings in the college football coaching ranks.

So who sits atop UGA wish list? I'd bet Fedora is pretty high up there. Maybe Tom Herman?
Well it is bit of shock that they fired a coach that is 9-3 of the year. Georgia is going after Kirby Smart. You can forget about RR moving to them if offer it wont happen.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:i would not be surprised to see Miami go after Richt. He is an alum and backed up Jim Kelly.

I would expect Mizzou, So Carolina, UVa, & (eventually)
Fedora isn't leaving NC after the year he has.
North Carolina to go after him.

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:Richt would have been high on my wish list if Rich Rod would have left.

Well it is bit of shock that they fired a coach that is 9-3 of the year. Georgia is going after Kirby Smart. You can forget about RR moving to them if offer it wont happen.
Rich Rod is not making the C list at UGA, if that is what you were referring to. So yes he's not going there, but it has nothing to do with whether or not he would want to.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:i would not be surprised to see Miami go after Richt. He is an alum and backed up Jim Kelly.

I would expect Mizzou, So Carolina, UVa, & (eventually)
Fedora isn't leaving NC after the year he has.
North Carolina to go after him.

You are really naive if you believe that. Look at the year RR had when he left for UM. There are countless other examples.

If Fedora does not leave (and I am guessing he does), he will be getting a big fat pay raise to keep him there.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Well the Georgia job probably messed up SC plans.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Rutgers added.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So..

USC
Rutgers
Minnesota
Maryland
South Carolina
Missouri
Georgia
Illinois
Miami
Virginia
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.