Coaching Searches

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RichardCranium

Re: Coaching Searches 2016

Post by RichardCranium »

Am I missing something? How come I haven't seen Sonny Dykes mentioned for any of these jobs?

Edit: I can't seem to find the tongue-in-cheek smilie.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

And why would Sonny Dykes leave the recruiting ground of Cali for any other jobs or leave the PAC12 for another?
cordera89

Re: Why Rich Rodriguez is not a smart hire for USC, Miami

Post by cordera89 »

prh

Post by prh »

Is that supposed to be like the whole "California sucks, don't move here" thing? Because that seemed like a desperate article looking to say RR would be a terrible hire for whatever miscellaneous reason.
He wins the games you would expect Arizona to win, sometimes, and cannot beat the powers of the conference.
Right after he states we're 3-0 vs Utah and 2-1 vs Oregon. Yeah I get that our record vs UCLA/USC/ASU is terrible, but don't spit out all the facts and then make statements that don't line up.

I'm also tired of hearing about the unsportsmanlike penalty against Oregon. We still kick a FG and win, we weren't gifted that game like the UW game last year. But if we want to talk about being gifted a game, let's not forget that we had an easy FG to beat USC that was missed. It goes both ways.

I'm not gonna say everything is perfect with RR, we have plenty of problems, and the article hit some of them. But wow did it seem like a "nothing to see here folks" article.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Not sure I would consider Utah a "powerhouse" prior to this season, and even then it's debatable.
prh

Post by prh »

I wouldn't say powerhouse, but considering they are atop the south standings, I wouldn't dismiss them right away. But it doesn't get much better than beating Oregon the last two years.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

prh wrote:I wouldn't say powerhouse, but considering they are atop the south standings, I wouldn't dismiss them right away. But it doesn't get much better than beating Oregon the last two years.
The Oregon wins were outstanding, but our list of notable wins fall off considerably after those 2. I'd put ASU last year on the list as well.

That write up was unnecessarily negative, ignoring the state of the program when RR arrived - but on balance, it captured the view of what most fans of big time programs would conclude after looking closely at our resume over the past 4 years.

A win over Utah this year would crack that list... But the wins over previous Utah teams do not compare.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

prh wrote:
Is that supposed to be like the whole "California sucks, don't move here" thing? Because that seemed like a desperate article looking to say RR would be a terrible hire for whatever miscellaneous reason.
He wins the games you would expect Arizona to win, sometimes, and cannot beat the powers of the conference.
Right after he states we're 3-0 vs Utah and 2-1 vs Oregon. Yeah I get that our record vs UCLA/USC/ASU is terrible, but don't spit out all the facts and then make statements that don't line up.

I'm also tired of hearing about the unsportsmanlike penalty against Oregon. We still kick a FG and win, we weren't gifted that game like the UW game last year. But if we want to talk about being gifted a game, let's not forget that we had an easy FG to beat USC that was missed. It goes both ways.

I'm not gonna say everything is perfect with RR, we have plenty of problems, and the article hit some of them. But wow did it seem like a "nothing to see here folks" article.
Well I not the one that wrote it, Basically it would say ( choose before you act and act before you choose) the article didn't say RR is average coach at best but it basically saying would they consider him instead giving it to an up and coming HC that deserve the job rather him. I believe RR would be back for 5th season at Arizona and beyond many years to come. And i think those school aren't consider him as a top choice just because it better than Arizona. Now WVU rumor that i been reading on, Their going to per sway him on Upgrade facilities and Stadium Renovation and family ties, VT only purpose because of the relation of AD, South Carolina purpose is because he was OC at Clemson. Miami purpose is the recruiting ground in State of Florida where most media report will say and the same can be said for USC.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

USC
South Carolina
Maryland
Minnesota
UCF
Miami
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beamer retiring.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

That's a lot of ok to great eastern jobs open
USC
South Carolina
Maryland
Minnesota
UCF
Miami
Virginia tech
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:That's a lot of ok to great eastern jobs open
USC
South Carolina
Maryland
Minnesota
UCF
Miami
Virginia tech
RR will be at one of those in 2016. Book It.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a gentleman's agreement already lined up with VT, ntSC, or Miami.

Would explain a lot.

I also bet the Ninja is already in action. I have no information, its all lining up too perfectly to think that RR is here next season.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

And you think he going to leave Arizona after one bad season for those jobs.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

cordera89 wrote:And you think he going to leave Arizona after one bad season for those jobs.
RR isn't going to leave because of one bad year. He will leave because that is where he wants to be. PAC 12 is tougher than the ACC. RR can have Miami or Virginia Tech winning that division on a yearly basis, and soon. It will be awhile with Arizona, the defense side of the ball is a complete mess. It just a bonus that he could start recruiting over, especially on the D side of things.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Hawaii fired Norm Chow.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

the real dill wrote:Hawaii fired Norm Chow.
They may very well be ready to dismantle their football program as well.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Hawaii should re-hire June Jones. It wasn't too long ago he had Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

OSUCat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:And you think he going to leave Arizona after one bad season for those jobs.
RR isn't going to leave because of one bad year. He will leave because that is where he wants to be. PAC 12 is tougher than the ACC. RR can have Miami or Virginia Tech winning that division on a yearly basis, and soon. It will be awhile with Arizona, the defense side of the ball is a complete mess. It just a bonus that he could start recruiting over, especially on the D side of things.
It basically still saying he going leave Arizona after a bad season. If just cant image him leaving with a veteran group on Offensive Team and The defense isn't just mess, He just need to understand that 3-3-5 isn't working that he need too make a changes but that not going to happen with him thou. When you said that PAC12 is tougher than ACC, Your also saying that RR cant complete in Tougher conference but he can do better at weak conference like ACC because it not a strong or tougher then PAC 12. Miami and VT I highly doubt that they would offer him the position but their going to one problem, Are those fans bases and alumni going to accept RR running 3-3-5 as a base defense if he chooses either school.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The coaching carousel is going to be crazy this year.

See notes below for my thoughts on some of the more "out there" ones mentioned.

Open jobs are Maryland, USC, Illinois, North Texas, South Carolina, Miami, UCF, VT, Missouri, and Hawaii. The schools in that list that I don't expect to affect the carousel too much are North Texas, UCF and Hawaii.

Jobs that are likely to be open: West Virginia, South Florida, Tulane, Boston College, Virginia, Purdue, Rutgers, UTSA, Fresno St., Iowa St. The schools I don't expect to affect things too much are USF, Tulane, UTSA, and Fresno St.

Jobs that are likely to open up after poaching the incumbent coach: Utah St., Houston, Memphis, Marshall, Temple, ECU, and Toledo.

Jobs where the coach has an outside shot of being fired - Nebraska (Mike Riley), Texas (Strong), Kentucky (Mark Stoops), Texas Tech (Kingsbury), Arkansas (Bielema), Oregon (Helfrich), Georgia (Richt), Vanderbilt (Mason).

High profile jobs where there is a somewhat chance the coach may move on on his own accord or poaching: ASU (Graham), Arizona (RichRod), Tennessee (Jones), BYU (Mendenhall), Utah (Whittingham), Notre Dame (Kelly), Cal (Dykes).

By my count, that's 10 current openings and 30 others where something may or may not be afoot. More jobs are certain to open up, because it's only November 1st and a lot will happen between now and the end of the year. I would estimate there will be 25-30 head coaching openings, with 15-20 of them being higher profile (for example, Arizona fits that but North Texas wouldn't.)

Some coaches who are not going to affect the carousel because they are either not currently coaching, because they're an assistant somewhere and not a HC, or coaching at a lower level: Bo Pelini, Lane Kiffin, Butch Davis, Kirby Smart, Bud Foster, Mario Cristobal, Greg Schiano, Scott Frost, Clay Helton (interim HC at USC), Ed Orgeron, Shawn Elliott (interim HC at S. Carolina.)

Notes: The schools I don't expect to affect the carousel much are jobs where they aren't going to be poaching a head coach from a bigger school, for example North Texas has no shot in hell at landing RichRod or another P5 coach. / Doc Holliday of Marshall has not gotten a lot of run yet in the rumor mill but there are schools that will look at him and with the amount of openings out there the chance he gets a bigger job goes up. / The jobs mentioned like Nebraska and Texas are jobs I don't necessarily expect to open up, but where the natives are getting really restless. I thought about putting Leach on that list but he would have to really collapse now to get there; if he wins a couple of more games he's safe this year.I don't know that Helfrich would lose his job a year after a run to the title game, but again, the natives are restless and if the right people decide they need a change... / I expect Graham to start being mentioned for jobs and RR is already being mentioned for several. I think the chances are lower than a lot of people think that RR leaves but it's still a possibility. Butch Jones is on the list because there's a couple of ADs that would be interested. Whittingham's phone is going to be ringing a lot, Mendenhall will probably have offers with the number of jobs out there, and every now and then someone floats Kelly's name as a possible NFL candidate. / Very little chatter about Pelini, but Riley's struggles at Nebraska have made Pelini look like he may actually have been a better coach and there will be a lot of jobs opening and a lot of ADs striking out on a lot of names on their lists. It's been said by a few people who follow CFB closely that someone out there is going to talk themselves into Lane Kiffin. Smart is almost a lock to get a job this time around. Foster has turned down jobs before with the expectation he'd get the VT job when Beamer goes.

Feel free to add to this or point out erroneous information. I kind of did this just so I'd have my own scorecard on the chaos that will erupt in about a month.

(Edited 11/2 to add Cal. 11/13 to take out Minnesota (hired interim HC full time) and add Missouri.)
Last edited by azpenguin on Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azpenguin wrote:
Then we need to schedule a new non-conference game next year.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
Which could end up sucking since there's not much available out there. In FCS I've seen that Hampton and NAU are available that date. If the MW didn't move to replace Hawaii immediately then that would be the next place to look. Boise State doesn't like doing guarantee games, but Hawaii is planned as a road game anyway for them and Arizona would make a nice filler. If they have to schedule another FCS school that's not going to go over well with season ticket holders.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i have seen rumors that hawaii has seriously considered dropping football in the last couple years.

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

RichardCranium wrote:Am I missing something? How come I haven't seen Sonny Dykes mentioned for any of these jobs?

Edit: I can't seem to find the tongue-in-cheek smilie.
...and now there's rumblings that Dykes wants out of Cal.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
Which could end up sucking since there's not much available out there. In FCS I've seen that Hampton and NAU are available that date. If the MW didn't move to replace Hawaii immediately then that would be the next place to look. Boise State doesn't like doing guarantee games, but Hawaii is planned as a road game anyway for them and Arizona would make a nice filler. If they have to schedule another FCS school that's not going to go over well with season ticket holders.
I would suspect Boise State is not the school that might object to a UA-BSU matchup.

As for the season ticket holders... There may not be too many left to complain. Excitement for the program is at a 4 year low.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

BSU doesn't like going out for guarantee games. They want home and homes.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:BSU doesn't like going out for guarantee games. They want home and homes.
There may be issues for both schools, then... BSU does not seem like the schools we have tried to schedule of late.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The non-conference opponents we've had over the last few years are the remnants of the Stoops/Livengood regime. Stoops came in to some ridiculous OOC scheduling and they started loading up with creampuffs. Byrne has been working to upgrade the OOC and that's getting tougher. Schools are making heavier and heavier demands now just to get home-and-homes and if you want a one-off with anyone, it's going to cost you big time if they'll even go for it at all. The shift towards getting away from scheduling FCS teams in some areas (B1G for example) means the price of scheduling any FBS team has gone up.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Matt Campbell of Toledo is a young son of a bitch. Good game by the way vs N Illinois.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I wouldnt be surprised if UCLA ends up needing a coach. With 10 NFL jobs, there are only so many current NFL retreads and up and coming coordinator's that people want to deal with.

If that ends up being the case, I already know it would be Mazzone...bleh
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

USC
South Carolina
Maryland
Minnesota
UCF
Miami
Virginia tech
I bet Doug Marrone will fill one of these gigs soon enough. Or Rutgers whenever that job opens. Since quitting on the Bills he's looking to get back into the 7 figure range.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

CalStateTempe wrote:
USC
South Carolina
Maryland
Minnesota
UCF
Miami
Virginia tech
RR will be at one of those in 2016. Book It.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a gentleman's agreement already lined up with VT, ntSC, or Miami.

Would explain a lot.

I also bet the Ninja is already in action. I have no information, its all lining up too perfectly to think that RR is here next season.
I was listening to Bill King this morning and he thinks RR to Va Tech is going to happen. He was almost discussing it as a foregone conclusion.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

I was listening to Bill King this morning and he thinks RR to Va Tech is going to happen. He was almost discussing it as a foregone conclusion.
1. What channel is Bill King on now?
2. A lot of people are talking about it in that manner.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Coop Cat wrote:
Makes you wonder though if it's now just in the echo chamber.

"I'm hearing chatter" could just be "I saw someone mention it on Twitter" and then once one semi-prominent person who is supposedly in the know repeats it, it then becomes that foregone conclusion.

This wouldn't be the first time that because of the need to be seen as having inside sources and to be "first" on social media, it became fact that a coach already had a signed deal in place only to find out later that they never even talked to that school.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Coop Cat wrote:

"I'm hearing chatter" could just be "I saw someone mention it on Twitter" and then once one semi-prominent person who is supposedly in the know repeats it, it then becomes that foregone conclusion.

This wouldn't be the first time that because of the need to be seen as having inside sources and to be "first" on social media, it became fact that a coach already had a signed deal in place only to find out later that they never even talked to that school.
I started it. I opened a new twitter account "RRTOVT" and started the ball rolling.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

In January 2014 FootballScoop had an article that said that RichRod was leaving for Louisville, that the deal was already done. This guy has sources everywhere. I still haven't seen any info that I would lean on that says he's going anywhere as of yet. That can still change and he could still go but I've seen nothing of substance.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Coop Cat wrote:
He is on a local Nashville station now, but it's the same show. All college football and hoops. I listen to him via the WNSR sports radio app.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Chicat wrote:
Coop Cat wrote:

Agents like to leak rumors all over the place. It's good for business even if the coach has no intention of going anywhere.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Back to the OOC scheduling - Kentucky is paying NM State $1.3 million to play there next year. But they also had to guarantee a game at Rupp Arena for the basketball team and $120,000 for that. Prices are going up for even scrub FBS competition.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote: Makes you wonder though if it's now just in the echo chamber.

Strongest manufactured statement was CBS Sports running the headline: "Rich Rod leads list of 6 candidates to replace Beamer at Virginia Tech"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ginia-tech" target="_blank
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Chicat wrote: Makes you wonder though if it's now just in the echo chamber.

Strongest manufactured statement was CBS Sports running the headline: "Rich Rod leads list of 6 candidates to replace Beamer at Virginia Tech"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ginia-tech" target="_blank
I had to chuckle at this comment from the article, on Dino Babers: " If he goes to a Power Five job, he'll have to make a significant hire at defensive coordinator. The Falcons are 87th in total D."

I wonder if he will be in play should we need to look for a head coach. He has done well in the top job, but we were hardly an offensive juggernaut whe he was the OC under Tomey from 1998-2000.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Nevermind. This was false.

I got trolled by fake twitter account. The link to the article took me to a well-endowed african american gentleman.
Last edited by the real dill on Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Have there ever been this many mid season job openings?

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

ASUHATER! wrote:Have there ever been this many mid season job openings?
As far as I've seen, no. This year there's already as many as the last few seasons combined.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Remaining silent on this HC opening topic speaks volumes to me and further crystallizes to me RR is gone either this year or next.

The fact that neither he (Rich Rod), nor Byrne will officially squash these rumors tells me in no uncertain terms that this is a real possibility.

This year may require a once in a lifetime opportunity like VT that RR cannot say no to. Next year it will only have to be a east coast lateral move for RR to take the leap.

Rich Rod and Greg Byrne not putting these rumors to rest once and for all is going to **** up his 2016 recruiting class and he knows it. If he's willing to put a recruiting class a jeopardy then the rumors are real.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Well we already lost one top rated JC recruit in Josh Allen.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We lost a JC recruit who was actively searching out new opportunities for months.

If Byrne and RR come out and deny deny deny, then there will be people saying "oh they're just saying that because he's definitely gone".

Not sure why everyone is so hellbent on assuming the worst, but I guess imploring a bunch of fans on the Internet to hang on and let the season play out is about as impactful as a fart in a windstorm.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We didn't lose Allen because of the rumors, that is a fact. He was gone the day Bama offered. Just a matter of time
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:We lost a JC recruit who was actively searching out new opportunities for months.

If Byrne and RR come out and deny deny deny, then there will be people saying "oh they're just saying that because he's definitely gone".

Not sure why everyone is so hellbent on assuming the worst, but I guess imploring a bunch of fans on the Internet to hang on and let the season play out is about as impactful as a fart in a windstorm.
Put it this way, I think RR will stay, It the media that want to put it like RR will leave to take back an East Coast job. Their going to say it because he a lot of experience in recruiting in the EC, Family, Friend are in EC, Better opportunity in the EC, Media think he isn't going to turn down Va tech if offer. Only person in Va tech that want him is AD, Miami and South Carolina aren't showing really no interested in Him because their been much talk, And Then WVU for some reason They haven't left the nest of RR past WVU success. I don't blame him if he went back to WV I just think he need to let some else right the ship over their. I mean WV will always be his home, but someone else has to run that program not RR.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote:We didn't lose Allen because of the rumors, that is a fact. He was gone the day Bama offered. Just a matter of time
If I was going to say that might be the case. I just don't get it why you DE committed then bama offer at the last second. How many top rated Defense Prospect have decommitted from Arizona to go somewhere else. It suck that ASU recruited a Five Star Recruit