Playoff Rankings

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

the real dill

Playoff Rankings

Post by the real dill »

Alabama receiving zero penalty for a loss is stupid. A loss to a team that as lost to Memphis, a bad Arkansas team, a got destroyed by Florida. Someone please explain to me how the F' is Miss St ranked #17. Seriously wtf is this

Wins- Southern Miss, Northwestern State (Not Northwestern), Auburn, Troy, La Tech, Kentucky, Missouri

Loss- LSU, A&M
ASUHATER!

Re: Playoff Rankings

Post by ASUHATER! »

Because sec.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ASUHATER! wrote:Because sec.
Yup. They get benefits of the doubt that other conferences don't get.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Iowa makes a jump all the way to No. 5? After an 8 point win over Indiana?
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Admittedly a little biased about Iowa, but they beat Wisconsin at Wisconsin and destroyed Northwestern at Northwestern. The back end of the schedule is weak, but the first part was pretty strong. They have a balanced offense, an elite defense and solid special teams. Plus, their slot receiver is a legendary badass.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUCatFan wrote:Admittedly a little biased about Iowa, but they beat Wisconsin at Wisconsin and destroyed Northwestern at Northwestern. The back end of the schedule is weak, but the first part was pretty strong. They have a balanced offense, an elite defense and solid special teams. Plus, their slot receiver is a legendary badass.
Which is the only reason I watch Iowa football.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

And I appreciate it. I got to go see them play Maryland in Kinnick. It was fun. I hope they get a bowl game close enough for me to drive so I can see him again this season.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Big Ten is a joke that Iowa doesn't face Michigan, Ohio State or Michigan State. Iowa's best win is against Pitt? Really?

Would Iowa be favored on a neutral field against Stanford, Oregon, Utah, USC or UCLA? Doubt it.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Their best win was either at Wisconsin or At Northwestern the same Northwestern that beat Stanford and held them to a couple of field goals. I'd take Iowa against any of those teams. Seriously. They'll likely face Ohio State or Michigan State in the B1G championship game and settle the argument once and for all, though.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Iowa should be 11-1 or 12-0. Don't think they'll beat Ohio state or msu but there's a pretty good chance they'll be playing in the rose bowl vs. The Pac 12 champion.

ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

ASUHATER! wrote:Iowa should be 11-1 or 12-0. Don't think they'll beat Ohio state or msu but there's a pretty good chance they'll be playing in the rose bowl vs. The Pac 12 champion.

I'll take it. Pasadena isn't that long of a drive. Not so sure they can't beat OSU or MSU, but I probably wouldn't bet on them in a ten game series against either.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

They'll beat Purdue but Minnesota and Nebraska are rivalry games a d anything can happen. Worst case they are 10-3 in a few weeks. Most likely 11-2/12-1. 12-1 with a win in the title game or 13-0 and they're in the playoff.

ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I'm a little worried about Nebraska, but I think they'll handle Minny. They have had that game circled since they lost last year.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

ASUCatFan wrote:Admittedly a little biased about Iowa, but they beat Wisconsin at Wisconsin and destroyed Northwestern at Northwestern. The back end of the schedule is weak, but the first part was pretty strong. They have a balanced offense, an elite defense and solid special teams. Plus, their slot receiver is a legendary badass.
Sagarin currently has Iowa at 16. My comment was more about why they would jump Baylor after knocking off Indiana. Baylor hasn't beaten anybody, but they hadn't beat anyone after the first ranking either. There just seems to be some arbitrary movement. The biggest headscratcher to me is why we are supposed to pretend Alabama's losses don't really count.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

the real dill wrote:The biggest headscratcher to me is why we are supposed to pretend Alabama's losses don't really count.
We talked a little about it last week here...

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=881" target="_blank

It's tough to understand why a home loss to an unranked team seems to get completely ignored. An interesting comparison for me is Alabama and Stanford. Eye test wise you might say they're both playoff worthy. But Bama's home loss to an unranked seems to get ignored while Furd's away loss on the other side of the country seems to count against them. Why is that I wonder?
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Iowa is a house of cards. To my eyes, they may as well be playing in the American Athletic, Conference USA or Mountain West. They've beaten nobody of note...maybe some recognizable programs like Wisconsin or Pitt, but those aren't good teams. Neither of those teams have beaten anyone good either. How convenient to win the Big 10 West division without playing the top 3 teams in the conference (OSU, MSU, UM).
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Why is his desk like 5 feet off the ground?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fishclamps wrote:Why is his desk like 5 feet off the ground?
To compensate for his tiny penis.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

He really looks like Jack Nicholson when he gets animated. Never noticed it before.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

the real dill wrote:Alabama receiving zero penalty for a loss is stupid. A loss to a team that as lost to Memphis, a bad Arkansas team, a got destroyed by Florida. Someone please explain to me how the F' is Miss St ranked #17. Seriously wtf is this

Wins- Southern Miss, Northwestern State (Not Northwestern), Auburn, Troy, La Tech, Kentucky, Missouri

Loss- LSU, A&M
I'm still struggling to figure out why Bama is #2 except for the known fact that the SEC gets sucked off at each and every turn.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah I don't understand it. Top 5 still the same

1.Clemson
2.Alabama
3.Ohio state
4.Notre Dame
5.Iowa

dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

let's go, charleston southern! do a big favor for college football today :D
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

1) Clemson
2) Alabama
3) Oklahoma
4) Iowa
5) Michigan St
6) Notre Dame
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azgreg wrote:1) Clemson
2) Alabama
3) Oklahoma
4) Iowa
5) Michigan St
6) Notre Dame
Looks good to me... That's the way I see it. I'd probably put Iowa over Oklahoma, but that could change over the next 2 weeks.

Order is debatable among the top 4... But 5 and 6 are right.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Why bama again? I though they had a bad loss. No other SEC teams with only one loss?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:Why bama again? I though they had a bad loss. No other SEC teams with only one loss?
Bama is the odds on favorite to win the SEC, and after today - they are the only SEC team with one loss.

Of the one loss teams in the picture - Michigan State's loss to Nebraska... Oklahoma's loss to Texas... And UNC's loss to So Car are all worse than Bama's bad loss - and what made that loss "bad" was that it came at home.

I know it's in vogue on this forum to claim Sec bias is responsible for Bama's respect, but I don't agree. They are not infallible, but they are a juggernaut... and If I had to lay money down on a team to win the playoff - I'd roll with the Tide.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Harvey Specter wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Why bama again? I though they had a bad loss. No other SEC teams with only one loss?
Bama is the odds on favorite to win the SEC, and after today - they are the only SEC team with one loss.

Of the one loss teams in the picture - Michigan State's loss to Nebraska... Oklahoma's loss to Texas... And UNC's loss to So Car are all worse than Bama's bad loss - and what made that loss "bad" was that it came at home.

I know it's in vogue on this forum to claim Sec bias is responsible for Bama's respect, but I don't agree. They are not infallible, but they are a juggernaut... and If I had to lay money down on a team to win the playoff - I'd roll with the Tide.
Interesting tidbit.

Alabama is 5-1 vs ranked opponents this season. Ole Miss was 4-1.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Interesting tidbit.

UCLA is 4-1 too if you look at rankings at time of game, but beating UofA and BYU shouldn't really count.

I suspect Bama and Ole Miss be 2-1 vs ranked teams after this weeks rankings.

Alabama should be in the playoff for the reason you wrote, but you have to admit, any SEC team with a pulse is ranked pre-season and even some without one (#6 Auburn). If they don't choke on a cup-cake they continue to climb until they eventually start losing.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This is where the early season overranking of the SEC comes into play. Bama might be 5-1 against ranked teams at the time they played them, but I think they're the only top-20 team without a win against anyone currently ranked in the top-20.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Michigan State's only loss was the result of one of the worst calls of the season.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Good points S&S and Chi. I get so sick of announcers talking about how somebody beat a ranked opponent in month 1, when that
team goes on to be horrible. How's that A&M victory over "ranked" ASU looking now? All that should matter is where they
are ranked at the end of the season.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The Final 4 is really easy this year as long as Alabama and Clemson win their conference champ game
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alabama, Oklahoma, Iowa and Clemson, if Iowa, Alabama and Clemson win next Saturday.

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:This is where the early season overranking of the SEC comes into play. Bama might be 5-1 against ranked teams at the time they played them, but I think they're the only top-20 team without a win against anyone currently ranked in the top-20.
The bullshit starts early, just as you say. And people says it doesn't really matter, but then people making arguments try to rely on just the stats you mentioned as being important in the decision making, completing the circular reasoning they set up.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ASUHATER! wrote:Alabama, Oklahoma, Iowa and Clemson, if Iowa, Alabama and Clemson win next Saturday.
Just to expand a bit, Clemson (if they win), Alabama (when they win), Oklahoma and the Iowa (#4)/Michigan State (#5) winner.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Seriously, there's only going to be 3 ranked sec teams this week. Florida and ole miss will be in the 13-20 range and Alabama at #2. Yet their perceived strength is from the sec having 8 teams in the top 25 pre season.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

SCCats wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Alabama, Oklahoma, Iowa and Clemson, if Iowa, Alabama and Clemson win next Saturday.
Just to expand a bit, Clemson (if they win), Alabama (when they win), Oklahoma and the Iowa (#4)/Michigan State (#5) winner.
Yeah agree. Oklahoma is pretty much in. Alabama will win. Then 2 out of Clemson, Iowa/Michigan state. Ohio state still has a chance. They'll be #6 in the poll Tuesday since Notre Dame and Baylor lost. If Alabama and Clemson find ways to lose then Ohio state state will probably get in.

Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

I think tOSU needs Iowa to win to stay alive.

If Michigan State wins and a slot opens up elsewhere I don't see the committee putting them in with the team they just lost to over a conference champion.

Possible champs Florida & Stanford have a better case, and UNC's resume is just as bad but they'll at least have knocked off Clemson and won their conference.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Honestly I don't know if Iowa belongs. Their best wins were over northwestern and Wisconsin and they didn't play Penn state, Michigan, Michigan state or Ohio State.

Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

ASUHATER! wrote:Honestly I don't know if Iowa belongs. Their best wins were over northwestern and Wisconsin and they didn't play Penn state, Michigan, Michigan state or Ohio State.
A 13-0 champ from any league deserves it.

They will have beaten Michigan State, Northwestern probably finishes ahead of Michigan, and Penn State is the 3rd best team in Pennsylvania but only because they didn't play Lehigh. :D
Seriously, Penn State's best win was Indiana with a 2-6 conference record.

So they skipped tOSU. That happens with 14 team leagues
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Sage&Silver wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Interesting tidbit.

UCLA is 4-1 too if you look at rankings at time of game, but beating UofA and BYU shouldn't really count.

I suspect Bama and Ole Miss be 2-1 vs ranked teams after this weeks rankings.

Alabama should be in the playoff for the reason you wrote, but you have to admit, any SEC team with a pulse is ranked pre-season and even some without one (#6 Auburn). If they don't choke on a cup-cake they continue to climb until they eventually start losing.
That is a very valid point, and I agree with it completely. Although I have seen people post in the past about our wins vs ranked opponents using the same stat.... and was one of few to challenge it.

That was the stat that was listed (showing top records vs ranked opponents), and I did not care to look for the record vs currently ranked teams.

Bottom line... The "bad loss vs Ole Miss" has been given more validity than it warrants. They finished 9-3 and will probably end up ranked around 15. It would arguably have been a "good" loss had it not been in Tuscaloosa.

Ohio State is the only one loss team in the country with a "better" loss.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Oklahoma is a lock
ACC Champ
Big 10 Champ
Alabama*

If Alabama somehow were to lose, then the 4th team in is either tOSU or Stanford (assuming Stanford beats SC).
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't think north Carolina would jump 10 spots beating Clemson

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:I don't think north Carolina would jump 10 spots beating Clemson
I think they would move into the top 4, but it is debatable. Let's see where they end up ranked this week, because they are moving up.

IMO there is a decent chance we may find out. I will not be shocked in UNC upsets Clemson. The Heels have been playing very well, and Clemson has struggled against some marginal competition of late.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

1) Clemson 12-0
2) Alabama 11-1
3) Oklahoma 11-1
4) Iowa 12-0
5) Michigan State 11-1
6) Ohio State 11-1
7) Stanford 10-2
8) Notre Dame 10-2
9) Florida State 10-2
10) North Carolina 11-1
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Oklahoma is guaranteed a spot

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

The Heisman probably doesn't deserve it's own thread since at this point it's the biggest runaway I can remember for Henry, but thought this was interesting:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

1) Clemson
2) Alabama
3) Michigan St
4) Oklahoma