Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl

Post by azgreg »

What a traveshamockery this bowl is. Here's a statement from the MW commissioner:
For the first time in NCAA history, an insufficient number of deserving bowl-eligible teams (i.e., 6-6 record or better) are available to fill all the bowl games which make-up the current landscape (40 bowls plus the National Championship Game). As a result, a specific group of 5-7 teams ranked according to Academic Progress Rate was granted waivers to expand the bowl-eligibility pool and ensure no bowl game would go dark. Today, we have come to the unfortunate realization another dubious milestone has been reached - two teams from the same conference will face each other in a bowl game later this month. Neither of these developments is good for college football.

While the expansion of the pool to provide additional teams was a necessary step at the end of this season to protect the college football bowl partners, and one which the Mountain West supported for at this moment, a conference match-up in a bowl game did not have to happen. The NCAA decision to allow 5-7 teams to be added to the pool on an equal footing with 6-6 teams was flawed. Our Conference representatives argued steadfastly for an approach whereby all 6-6 teams would first be placed according to primary and secondary agreements among the conferences and bowl games. Our position was that only then would the safety net of 5-7 teams be activated for those games which had not yet secured participants - rather than allow those teams to fulfill conference agreements and usurp 6-6 teams from conferences with back-up agreements. The Mountain West cast its vote against the recommendation of the NCAA Football Oversight Committee (which did not include that parameter), and subsequently also voted in opposition to the action of the NCAA Council to approve that recommendation.

Understanding the implications of the NCAA verdict on Monday and with the knowledge neither of the primary or back-up conferences contracted as opponents in one of our bowl games would be able to provide a team, the Mountain West began immediately to work in earnest toward identifying a solution that would place teams in a manner that could avoid a conference match-up in a bowl game. We exchanged dozens of phone calls, texts and e-mails over the course of six days with numerous bowl games, other FBS conferences, the NCAA staff, the Football Bowl Association and our partners at ESPN Events. We spoke individually with our directors of athletics and convened that group collectively on multiple conference calls. We engaged throughout the week with members of the MW Board of Directors.

The Mountain West explored every possibility for placing the teams in question. We suggested swaps, alternative financial arrangements and creative options. Unfortunately, no one was willing to adjust and those efforts were to no avail. Following the outcome of last night's games, it became clear there were 80 teams for 80 bowl slots and the only two openings still available for a pair of MW teams would match them in the same game.

It is a travesty the Mountain West has been forced into this situation. Clearly, the system is broken. There is an excess of bowl games due in part to a disparate allocation of openings vs. conference bowl histories. The result is teams with sub-.500 records participating in bowl games. There is consensus change is needed and this year's outcome must not be repeated.

However, that is a discussion for another day. At the moment, we need to focus our attention on the more than 1,000 Mountain West football student-athletes, band members, cheerleaders and others who will be able to enjoy a postseason opportunity in the weeks ahead. We will work diligently with our bowl partners to ensure those young people have the best experience possible.
http://www.themw.com/news/mwfb-15-bowl- ... -statement" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Re: Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl

Post by UAEebs86 »

5-7 teams getting placed in bowls before 6-6 teams were gone is complete bullshit.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:5-7 teams getting placed in bowls before 6-6 teams were gone is complete bullshit.
Agreed. This game should have 5-7 teams above all others.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:5-7 teams getting placed in bowls before 6-6 teams were gone is complete bullshit.
Agreed. This game should have 5-7 teams above all others.
Well two of the 5-7 teams were Nebraska and Minnesota from the same conference. Should've been like Minnesota San Jose state in this bowl.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The MW commissioner has no room to complain because he was one of the big pushers to add more bowls so that the conference could get more slots. The old "be careful what you ask for, you just may get it" adage applies here.

I'll go to the game, but I'm skeptical that it will be around next year due to the backlash about too many bowls. There will be less bowl games next year. The reason I think this game is likely to be one of this victims is not so much that it's new, but because it doesn't have a TV deal to really speak of (the broadcast setup they have is not exactly lucrative.) If it had carriage on ESPN then I'd think it would have a good shot at surviving. Things can change, though, in the future, and it would be nice to see it stick around.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azpenguin wrote:The MW commissioner has no room to complain because he was one of the big pushers to add more bowls so that the conference could get more slots. The old "be careful what you ask for, you just may get it" adage applies here.

I'll go to the game, but I'm skeptical that it will be around next year due to the backlash about too many bowls. There will be less bowl games next year. The reason I think this game is likely to be one of this victims is not so much that it's new, but because it doesn't have a TV deal to really speak of (the broadcast setup they have is not exactly lucrative.) If it had carriage on ESPN then I'd think it would have a good shot at surviving. Things can change, though, in the future, and it would be nice to see it stick around.
There's 5 more cities applying for bowls next year. Trying to make it 45 bowls.

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I doubt that's going to happen now. One thing schools are unhappy about is the prospect of paying a coach a bowl bonus for a 5-7 team. The backlash right now is getting pretty loud, so I think we'll probably be at 36-38 bowls next year.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

It gets worse.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Bowl-game-gif ... t-41816188" target="_blank
The worst
Arizona Bowl: Cowtown custom-made cowboy boots

Are you kidding me? This is the only gift the players are getting in return for spending Christmas in Tucson, Arizona? Cowboy boots are fine, but they're a very specific kind of fashion choice that the vast majority of people either can't or don't want to pull off.

This is what makes gift cards great. You don't have to account for the taste and fashion preferences of a diverse group of 200 kids who've come from all across the country to play football. I'm willing to bet most of these get left behind in the hotel room.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I've never tried Cowtown boots.

Therefore I can't say if it's good or bad.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MASN?

What is MASN?

The Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN) is a regional sports network owned by the Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles, which carries every available Orioles and Nationals game live and in HD. MASN also televises exclusive pregame and postgame shows, Nats Xtra and O's Xtra, for every game in HD. No other network in the country televises as many MLB games.
MASN televises more than 150 NCAA Division I basketball games, and more than 40 NCAA Division I football games, featuring the best of the Big East, Big South and several other top conferences.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

A mid atlantic carrier showing a game if two mountain west teams....

Riiight, sounds good to me!
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Over-under on attendance?

15,000? They should play the game at Tucson High instead to make it look crowded.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Just realized that I have a week of vacation left that I'll lose if I don't take it by the end of the year. Taking the week between Christmas and the 1st so I hope to attend this game.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

On the surface, yes... especially with a 5-7 from a non BCS conference.

But let's be real, the difference between a number of 6-6 teams and Minnesota/Nebraska is the non-conference schedule they played. I am not big on rewards for scheduling automatic wins.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

And 4/5 of Nebraska's losses were on the final play of the game. A couple mess hail Mary's or a bounce here or there and Nebraska is 9-3

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This can be real ugly. CSU and Nevada ticket sales have been slight.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dammit Greg!

Catching up on the days events in the family room with in-laws and then I read such shocking information about ticket sales.

Might have to go back closer to bedtime to check in on how sales are going...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Small chance of rain and about 41 degrees at kickoff in Tucson today.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Anyone with ticket advice? Can I just walk up and buy a ticket at the gates? For maybe $15 each?

Since I'm in Tucson this week I'm thinking about attending as a sort've support-Tucson gesture. Problem is I havent yet found anyone else to go with.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:This can be real ugly. CSU and Nevada ticket sales have been slight.

oops!

NSFW!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:This can be real ugly. CSU and Nevada ticket sales have been slight.

oops!
NSFW!
WTF happened there? Sorry Merk. :lol:
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Anyone with ticket advice? Can I just walk up and buy a ticket at the gates? For maybe $15 each?

Since I'm in Tucson this week I'm thinking about attending as a sort've support-Tucson gesture. Problem is I havent yet found anyone else to go with.
From what I've seen, there are two mobile ticket booths on the east side of the stadium and one by the party on the east end of the mall.

There should be a lot of tickets available.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Really ESPN?

Also, Tuscon apparently is not sunny enough for Lenny Jones.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/pre ... g.comments" target="_blank
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

asuhater is around campus and said he only saw a couple hundred people around the stadium waiting for the gates to open just a few mins ago. i bet there's less than 15k at this game. 10k even.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

My buddy texted me pics of the crowd and it's not pretty. No one in the south end zone. Hopefully the game picks up steam and Tucson has a sports success story
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

scumdevils86 wrote:asuhater is around campus and said he only saw a couple hundred people around the stadium waiting for the gates to open just a few mins ago. i bet there's less than 15k at this game. 10k even.
They didn't even change the UA logo at mid-field:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatsbyAZ wrote:They didn't even change the UA logo at mid-field:
It would cost too much. It's glued in.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I doubt this bowl will return next year.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

It's weird seeing two other teams on our field.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

East side would probably fill 75% of the ZonaZoo/band area, and at least as many folks on the West side. There could be 20k or more.

I think that's pretty good for a first year bowl with two teams from the SAME group-of-five conference.

The Raycom Camellia Bowl is about the same level as the AZ bowl, and they couldn't sell out a 21k seat stadium. That's the reality for bottom tier bowls.

Irish27 wrote:I doubt this bowl will return next year.
They had to line up a 5 year sponsorship. It was a last minute deal, which may be why it isn't on a big network.

As I said above, it's not like other new bowls are drawing significantly larger crowds.
Last edited by Sage&Silver on Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

"It would be nice to score with your mother watching". This D team announcing has had some odd lines tonight.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

They probably should have put a band in the South end zone for TV purposes.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

These two teams sold an average of 25,000 tickets per home game last season.

I think this is a pretty good crowd for these two schools.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The conference logo looks terrible. I'm friends with the head field guy - I'll give him some shit.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

There was some buzz on campus today. It was cool to see. Nothing like a Cats game, but it was fun to see. I talked to many fans of both teams and they were having a good time in T Town. The weather in the afternoon was brilliant.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

What a garbage halftime show. My god!
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

wyo-cat wrote:What a garbage halftime show. My god!
What was it? They didn't just have the marching bands do their thing?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The studio show....Jim Donnan. Wow. Bad.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

wyo-cat wrote:The studio show....Jim Donnan. Wow. Bad.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'm not at the game. Sitting at home enjoying a few Sierras with my labs and watching it on the CW.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

RR should be happy about how our fans turn out for his game LOL.

As an aside I was told we had a major sponsor but the NCAA denied there sponsorship. It was Tilted Kilt.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Not a bad game to be honest with you.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

That's bullshit! Some Tiled Kilt bitches would have increased attendance!!
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azcat49 wrote:RR should be happy about how our fans turn out for his game LOL.

As an aside I was told we had a major sponsor but the NCAA denied there sponsorship. It was Tilted Kilt.
oh goodness, why!?!?!

As it is, I'm taking after WYO and watching the game with a beer on my couch with a lab that's actually my parent's very moody black cat.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Gotta be down right chilly on those bleacher seats right about now.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
azcat49 wrote:RR should be happy about how our fans turn out for his game LOL.

oh goodness, why!?!?!

As it is, I'm taking after WYO and watching the game with a beer on my couch with a lab that's actually my parent's very moody black cat.
My black lab is curled up next to me on the couch and the chocolate is laying on my feet.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Sage&Silver wrote:These two teams sold an average of 25,000 tickets per home game last season.

It actually is impressive. Neither teams has any geographic tie here, and they've pulled more than a lot of bowl games for teams with larger fan bases.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Received a few emails this week begging folks to get out to the game. CEO, Mr Volpe was very passionate about the game, so props to him. Said they had sold 22K tickets, and needed 25K-30K to break even.

If not for previous engagements I would have went. Good exposure for the company, I suppose. Need a better match up for more interest.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:These two teams sold an average of 25,000 tickets per home game last season.

It actually is impressive. Neither teams has any geographic tie here, and they've pulled more than a lot of bowl games for teams with larger fan bases.
Much better crows than I was expecting.