Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl

Post by scumdevils86 »

I would've gone but didn't even get home from work until 6. 37 degrees in Tucson currently.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

A Barn Burner.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Exciting game. CSU just needed a time out and that wide out went Anu Solomon on that last play
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

scumdevils86 wrote:I would've gone but didn't even get home from work until 6. 37 degrees in Tucson currently.
That was kinda my problem too, when it came to trying to get my Dad to go with. He didn't come up with free tickets through work like I thought, and then he didn't even leave work until after 5PM.

Anyways, congrats Nevada on winning a very entertaining bowl game.
Last edited by CatsbyAZ on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azcat49 wrote:Exciting game. CSU just needed a time out and that wide out went Anu Solomon on that last play
Casteel'd it?
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

There was a guy selling tix on Speedway for $5. He probably got them for free, but that's fine.

Yep, bleachers were cold, but I've been complaining for years that we lost our bowl, so we were going to support the local economy and adopted home town no matter what...at least through the middle of half time. :)

Best part of half time, btw, the mini-Winchester cannons that accompanied the Nevada band. I hope the people responsible for taking away Wilbur"s TOY pea shooters heard them loudly and clearly.

I shall never again complain about melting at an Arizona football game.

I hope they can find a way to get this bowl back, that it's warm enough to entice more locals to show up, they can secure a provisional alcohol license (ya right) and they can up the fly over ante to either 4 A-10's or 2 AZ ANG F-16's.

*Pretty sure this is my first sober, non in-game post here. I'll attempt to not make it my last.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Congratulations to New Mexico State on qualifying for their first bowl since nineteen-SIXTY!
Good news for the Arizona Bowl - tickets are starting at the surprisingly high amount of $50 and keeping demand:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

tix were $25 for the game a couple weeks ago? i would totally go but the way my time off worked for xmas I have to be at work that day. would be fun.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

$25, $50, and $65 through the universities. Starting at $50 on the secondary resell markets.

Meanwhile NM St has sold out their initial 5K ticket allotment and requested an additional more.

After a shaky roll out in it's first bowl season (two teams from same conference, cold weather, no major TV contract) the Arizona Bowl has gone a long way to make the most of it. Last season they smartly tapped into the local Air Force market and this season they're hosting one of college football's feelgood stories with New Mexico State.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just read about the Aggies emotional win. I think I will call there athletic department and get two tickets from them. They keep half the ticket price and give the other half to there conference.

Not sure I will buy Foster farm bowl tickets but I probably should. I have to wonder if the AZ goal might get 40k+
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Had great time at Tuesday's Arizona Bowl - first time attending.

Upbeat local article on the Arizona Bowl's positive impact:

https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen/gr ... 52c21.html" target="_blank

It works. It almost defies modern sports marketing where “bigger” sells and “little” fades away.

Ordinarily, this might be a good time for the game’s founder, Tucson attorney Ali Farhang, to step away and let someone else do the heavy lifting required to sustain the Arizona Bowl. Nova has until April 1 to decide whether it will return as title sponsor.

Of the 40 bowl games, the Arizona Bowl is one of just two not broadcast by the massive money machines at ESPN/ABC, Fox Sports and CBS. The Arizona Bowl and the FBC Mortgage Cure Bowl — Liberty vs. Georgia Southern — are broadcast on the second-level CBS Sports Network.

The 2020 Arizona Bowl, by whatever corporate name, will insist on two things: It will be played on New Year’s Eve and it will be played when the sun shines.

“This bowl is not TV programming,” says Farhang.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Had great time at Tuesday's Arizona Bowl - first time attending.
Did you stop by the tailgate car show? I had a vehicle in and won a trophy.

The Wyoming fans really showed up for this. Back home for them was 18° so they were loving our sunny 60° day
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I haven't seen any attendance figures. Does anyone have them?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

36,892 per Wikipedia
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Thanks. Nice turnout.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I actually have new year's Eve off next year so I might make it a point to go.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What was the turnstile attendance? Announced ticket attendance is widely inflated.

At least end of game attendance seemed pretty dismal.

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Jefe wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:Had great time at Tuesday's Arizona Bowl - first time attending.
Did you stop by the tailgate car show? I had a vehicle in and won a trophy.

The Wyoming fans really showed up for this. Back home for them was 18° so they were loving our sunny 60° day
I did! Another good feature of the Bowl.

Overall really impressed with the management of the bowl. Rather than selling themselves for ESPN money they involve the community and make their own schedule and picks of teams. From what I could tell there were anywhere from 15K-20K Wyoming fans to keep the trend of team selection strong. Getting Air Force a few years ago helped attendance. Next year they'll bring a MAC team on board what they don't bring in can be made up for with well traveling MW teams or an at-large pick like NM St from a few years ago. Definitely BYU and maybe UTEP.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Ugh

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:14 am Ugh

This is good for the school. The whole barstool culture thing weirds me out, but the sponsorship will put eyeballs on Arizona sports.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What in the heck did I just watch? What is barstool sports and how do you watch that?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I despise Barstool, but this is good for UA, the bowl game, and Tucson. Hopefully they try to upgrade the conference tie-ins and I hope to god they do a weeklong lead up to the game showing how awesome Tucson is.
azcat49 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:01 pm What in the heck did I just watch? What is barstool sports and how do you watch that?
Barstool is unapologetic douchebaggery. And I don’t think they would be insulted to hear me describe them that way.

If being a frat chode who roofies girls drinks could be distilled down into a specific scent, Barstool would sell it as a cologne.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This is a fantastic move for the bowl. Look, that bowl was dying. Nova Home Loans isn't bringing eyes or engagement to a a bowl with no real selling points.

Barstool has some unsavory aspects, including Portnoy making some offensive rape jokes, but they are a home run for driving engagement with the bowl. Their media presence is huge and they will actively promote the game with their brand.

Would it have been better to stick with a vanilla sponsor and die in 2 years? Barstool at least is a path to long term viability for the Arizona Bowl. If they didn't have some warts, they wouldn't be messing with the Arizona Bowl. This has already gotten the Arizona Bowl more national attention then in the rest of its lifespan.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How soon until they change it to the Barstool Bowl?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Hate to say it, but good. Barstool is a cancer.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What percentage was their funding?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:46 pm What percentage was their funding?
I read it was only $40K somewhere.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:19 am

This is a fantastic move for the bowl. Look, that bowl was dying. Nova Home Loans isn't bringing eyes or engagement to a a bowl with no real selling points.

Barstool has some unsavory aspects, including Portnoy making some offensive rape jokes, but they are a home run for driving engagement with the bowl. Their media presence is huge and they will actively promote the game with their brand.

Would it have been better to stick with a vanilla sponsor and die in 2 years? Barstool at least is a path to long term viability for the Arizona Bowl. If they didn't have some warts, they wouldn't be messing with the Arizona Bowl. This has already gotten the Arizona Bowl more national attention then in the rest of its lifespan.
This is also a huge opportunity for the Arizona Football, Basketball, Baseball and Golf teams. I really hope that Fisch, Lloyd, Hale, Anderson and Ianello see what great potential this has for the teams and the university. Barstool pushes it too much at times but they actually bring tons of attention and do a lot of good. Finding the right way to work with them would be a huge positive game changer for our school.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Barstool is not something we really want affiliated with Tucson or the university
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:54 pm Barstool is not something we really want affiliated with Tucson or the university
Too late homie. It’s affiliated.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:54 pm Barstool is not something we really want affiliated with Tucson or the university
Yeah, it's a growing business not run by a friend of Robert Robbins.

In general Tucson and Pima County prefer stagnation and lord knows Robert Robbins prefers providing money to friends.

Edit:

This is what Pima County is about.

https://kvoa.com/news/local-news/2021/0 ... lary-vote/
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

No TV, only streaming?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't think Tucson and the UA have the elite reputation some think they do.

UA: A+ party school https://www.niche.com/colleges/university-of-arizona/

and for Tucson:

The Tucson nightlife scene is a diverse array of hipster hot spots, college hang-outs and dive bar glory. Whether it's your aim to dress up or dress down, see or be seen, rest assured that the Old Pueblo offers something for every mood.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Tucson isn't like it was 20 years ago, it isn't New York but it's a fun enough place to be a young person in or someone vacationing here for a bowl.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:46 am Tucson isn't like it was 20 years ago, it isn't New York but it's a fun enough place to be a young person in or someone vacationing here for a bowl.
And that is entirely why Barstool wants to be a part of Tucson, U of A and this bowl game. U of A and Tucson can gain so much from this if they want to.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:51 am
ASUHATER! wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:46 am Tucson isn't like it was 20 years ago, it isn't New York but it's a fun enough place to be a young person in or someone vacationing here for a bowl.
And that is entirely why Barstool wants to be a part of Tucson, U of A and this bowl game. U of A and Tucson can gain so much from this if they want to.
Right up until Portnoy makes a rape joke in the kick-off presser.

If Barstool can be professional and not just professional trolls/assholes, this can be a win-win.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:59 am

If Barstool can be professional and not just professional trolls/assholes, this can be a win-win.
Yea, but that will be a tall order sadly
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Dude. Tucson is truly the best short term or weekend destination there is for people who haven't been there.

So many cool things to do or see. Old Tucson, the Desert Museum, Pima Air Museum, the bone yard, Mount Lemmon, Karchner Caverns, the Biosphere, great golf courses, outstanding winter hiking. These are just some that come to mind.

I've told some people about it that have never been there and they now love it.

If only we could add some competitive college football to the mix.
Last edited by Carcassdragger on Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Old Tucson is closed. The operator couldn't maintain expenses during the pandemic and turned it over to the county.

I liked Tombstone better once the original Old Tucson burned down anyway.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Barstool wanted to sponsor this game because it lends itself to what they're trying to do.

First, bluntly, if Barstool wasn't a little "toxic," they wouldn't be slumming it with the Arizona Bowl.

Second, they want in on the streaming market. Again, the Arizona Bowl was perfect because they needed a bowl that had a crappy TV deal. The Arizona Bowl was probably willing to give up the 15 people watching CBS Sports Network midday on a non-holiday weekday.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:46 am
Barstool wanted to sponsor this game because it lends itself to what they're trying to do.

First, bluntly, if Barstool wasn't a little "toxic," they wouldn't be slumming it with the Arizona Bowl.

Second, they want in on the streaming market. Again, the Arizona Bowl was perfect because they needed a bowl that had a crappy TV deal. The Arizona Bowl was probably willing to give up the 15 people watching CBS Sports Network midday on a non-holiday weekday.
Everything you are saying is true. Barstool also wants to he part of a community where they can have fun and have parties and meet and greats and all that associated with the bowl. Portnoy and Kayce Smith and Brandon Walker were all talking about how the city and campus are part of their plans as well.

The point is though, if everyone can hold off on their virtue signaling and judgment on this, I think the bowl will be a real shot in the arm for Tucson during the holiday season and will greatly help U of A in many ways in many sports.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:13 pm The point is though, if everyone can hold off on their virtue signaling and judgment on this, I think the bowl will be a real shot in the arm for Tucson during the holiday season and will greatly help U of A in many ways in many sports.
Virtue signaling… :?

So we should just pretend that Barstool hasn’t made unapologetic douchebaggery their brand? For the good of the town, right?

I was fine with this affiliation because the bowl does need a shot in the arm, but don’t ask me to pretend that Portnoy isn’t a professional piece of shit who has made an entire career out of being an abusive asshole.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

We’re all a bunch of old farts.

My 20 year old kid was super exited about this. He can’t wait to have his friends back east see his hometown through the lens of barstool sports.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:07 pm I was fine with this affiliation because the bowl does need a shot in the arm, but don’t ask me to pretend that Portnoy isn’t a professional piece of shit who has made an entire career out of being an abusive asshole.
And here we are again…
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Paging Machina - please pick up the white courtesy phone.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This is the least surprising thing to be exposed ever... How the UofA thought this was going to be a positive relationship is indescribably moronic
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:59 am

I wish it had just been a joke.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Reading though these past comments are hilarious. Everyone of you knew this guy was a POS but that just doesn't matter to many, I guess.