U$C

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: U$C

Post by azcat49 »

His pops has been on radio and said the same. Those national deals with Wendy’s, the heisman house and a few others has made him millions.

At some point he will run out of eligibility and be drafted. If I was one of those non elect teams I would still draft him and look to get 4 or 5 NFL ready players for him

Of course who knows how accurate these numbers his family is talking about are
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Look how much Malachi Nelson is going to make without taking a college snap.
And apparently other schools offered him quite a deal more.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

In the aftermath of USC’s loss last night, had the Trojan post game radio analysis airing, and in the midst of all the negativity aimed squarely at Lincoln Riley and his antisocial pressers, one of the broadcast contributors made what I thought was a very apt critical comparison of Riley: “He’s college football’s Mike D’Antoni!”
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I was returning home from a fairly long trip last night, and I caught some of the first half of the game on the plane, then I remembered to tune in the USC broadcast driving home. Pete Arbogast almost broke crystal wine glasses hitting a high-C while shrieking about a USC touchdown. But, the mood eventually turned somber. I'm no Utah fan, but USC makes me view everybody they play in a more positive light. Plaschke seems to like to put the hex on every team in the region by declaring that they "should" be champions, but he's an idiot. Whoever coaches at Oklahoma and USC will have good players fall into their lap. The trick at USC is motivating their self-centered prima donnas. They all want to be rich stars, but they don't necessarily deal well with adversity.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So in this world of big money NIL deals, does Caleb Williams play out the year? He can’t win the Heisman, can’t get to the playoffs and USC will likely lose at least two more games even if he plays.

If the school is paying a player a decent amount, do they have the right to tell him to play or forfeit the dough?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:36 am So in this world of big money NIL deals, does Caleb Williams play out the year? He can’t win the Heisman, can’t get to the playoffs and USC will likely lose at least two more games even if he plays.

If the school is paying a player a decent amount, do they have the right to tell him to play or forfeit the dough?
It’s a ludicrous proposition and anyone suggesting it should have their head examined.

First, any NIL clause most assuredly has some sort of performance clause where the player can’t just voluntarily sit out if they are not injured. You think Wendy’s and those other companies would be okay to keep shelling out big buck when their famous spokesperson has decided to not even play especially on upcoming nationally televised games?

Second, the Trojans only have 1 conference loss so they are still playing for a Pac 12 championship. You seriously think SC is going to pack in the season just to accommodate Caleb? Riley would be crucified nationally and Williams reputation would take a huge hit with potential Pro suitors.

If USC was an under .500 team with 1 game left that would be a different story but to sit out now would be moronic for several reasons.
Last edited by EastCoastCat on Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well ECC I certainly wasn’t thinking of the next game or two.

I was just bringing a hypothetical to this new world of college kids being paid.

They don’t play in minor bowl games now (the big stars) which USC is likely to receive. They also are likely to lose two or maybe three games and then what?

I assume if he is coming back like pops says then he will play. If he is going to the league then maybe his agent tells him to sit although his recent play has certainly cast some doubt if he really is the #1 QB in the league.

Should be an interesting test of what done of these kids might be thinking. After Call they have UDub, Oregon and UCLA in consecutive weeks. I don’t see them better then 8-4
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jeepers, why? ;)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Talk about a team falling apart.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

They and ucla are gonna have so much trouble in the BIg.

The money won’t be worth it in the end.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

They are actually getting weak opponents in Maryland, NW, Indiana, Rutgers etc
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:43 am They are actually getting weak opponents in Maryland, NW, Indiana, Rutgers etc
I think you are looking at it wrong.

They just exchanged the UA/asu/Colorado for Penn State/Ohio State/Michigan.

As USC they have generally been the 800lb gorilla in the conference. In recent times Oregon, Utah and UW have occassionally displaced them. In the B1G they now have at least 2 or 3 additional powerhouses they have to overcome. Frankly, I think they are in a worse place as far as being competitive.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dmjcat wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:33 am
CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:43 am They are actually getting weak opponents in Maryland, NW, Indiana, Rutgers etc
I think you are looking at it wrong.

They just exchanged the UA/asu/Colorado for Penn State/Ohio State/Michigan.

As USC they have generally been the 800lb gorilla in the conference. In recent times Oregon, Utah and UW have occassionally displaced them. In the B1G they now have at least 2 or 3 additional powerhouses they have to overcome. Frankly, I think they are in a worse place as far as being competitive.
I agree with everything and exactly that. They are in a worse place competitively. They are going to have a rough go at it.

Worse middling competition, and worse(more competitive) top tier competition

As ucla knows in basketball, it isn’t the 70s-80s anymore.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Death of the super league is the cautionary tale for big and sec.

Big crazy fan bases really don’t want a “big game every week” only to see their beloved teams go 8-4/7-5.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

USC and UCLA will have an easier time in basketball. Football not so much.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I get the transfer portal and NIL, but aren't conference rivalries a thing anymore? Maybe Mike Stoops was right.