Joe Mixon

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Joe Mixon

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Video of the incident that got him suspended from Oklahoma. Yikes.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5531208?utm ... IC-Twitter" target="_blank
Chicat

Re: Joe Mixon

Post by Chicat »

He's in jail, right? Right??
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'm not sure what I really expected from the description, but that video still really was crazy. She went down lifelessly. I'd heard she was knocked unconscious and broke her jaw, but the way it happened still was shocking.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That was one quick right. Fractured 4 bones in her face.

Strange story here. You think her attorneys would want this released, to refute his story about being cornered.

Last week, in a statement released to The Oklahoman, attorneys for Molitor called the narrative that she "spit on, punched and hurled racial slurs at a cornered man" false. Her attorneys asked a judge to suppress the release of the video, arguing it alone wouldn't tell the full story.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... emale-2014" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The difference between the frat and Mixon is that Mixon is good at football. It isn't a story about violence, racism or anything else. If Mixon had picked up a drug offense or a burglary, it's just as easy to see him getting the internal punishment he did.

Ask Riley Cooper. If you are good at football, people will stomach a little racism along with it. The important thing is to be good at football.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:The difference between the frat and Mixon is that Mixon is good at football. It isn't a story about violence, racism or anything else. If Mixon had picked up a drug offense or a burglary, it's just as easy to see him getting the internal punishment he did.

Ask Riley Cooper. If you are good at football, people will stomach a little racism along with it. The important thing is to be good at football.
Yeah lots of hypocrisy there and it extends to coaches too (I see you Tom Jurich). The reality (as sad/pathetic as it is) is Joe is more important to those people than some beat up woman. Just like Paterno and the football program generally were more important than raped kids. Just like Briles was more important (for a long time) than some raped girls.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

He's an enormous POS and a dick for doing it, but, in the video, she assaulted him first. She pushed him and slapped him before he decked her.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

carcassdragger wrote:He's an enormous POS and a dick for doing it, but, in the video, she assaulted him first. She pushed him and slapped him before he decked her.
I'm not sure what difference that makes. As I see it, she pushes him back, he fakes like he's going to swing on her, she slaps him then he hits her. If you're implying it's self defense, generally self defense has to be proportional (don't know OK law). That's the thing, there's nothing proportional between a slap that doesn't move him at all and what he does in return.

He retaliated, and it was way more forceful than anything she did.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

carcassdragger wrote:He's an enormous POS and a dick for doing it, but, in the video, she assaulted him first. She pushed him and slapped him before he decked her.
Married? Show your wife that video and then make that same argument. When she slaps you, go ahead and knock her the fuck out.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Chicat wrote:
Married? Show your wife that video and then make that same argument. When she slaps you, go ahead and knock her the fuck out.
Equality baby...she started it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UALoco wrote:
Chicat wrote:
A slap does not justify a knock out jaw breaking punch. She slaps you, you don't get physical back. Simple as that.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Doubt he even felt it.

"Be a man" has different meanings to different people.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

ASUHATER! wrote:
UALoco wrote:
Chicat wrote:
A slap does not justify a knock out jaw breaking punch. She slaps you, you don't get physical back. Simple as that.
Look up facetious folks...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I know. I was just making a statement.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

http://deadspin.com/joe-mixon-told-poli ... socialflow" target="_blank

[T]he girl, she dropped her purse, that’s when she came in my face, pushed me, and then my glasses came off, and then, like, I had, like, jumped at her, like, to watch out. And then she came in my face. I put my head down. And she swung on me.

“And after that, like, I was so shocked, because she hit me so hard. It felt like a dude hit me. And after that, like, my face went boom, my reaction was just right there.”
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote:http://deadspin.com/joe-mixon-told-poli ... socialflow

[T]he girl, she dropped her purse, that’s when she came in my face, pushed me, and then my glasses came off, and then, like, I had, like, jumped at her, like, to watch out. And then she came in my face. I put my head down. And she swung on me.

“And after that, like, I was so shocked, because she hit me so hard. It felt like a dude hit me. And after that, like, my face went boom, my reaction was just right there.”
This is a lie. It's clear from the video she slapped him with an open hand.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:http://deadspin.com/joe-mixon-told-poli ... socialflow

Riiight. :roll:

I think statements like that were why that emoji was created.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Ms. Molitor awaits the day Ol' Joe turns pro, should he be so lucky. He's going to be sharing his paycheck with more than his agent. Broken facial bones? Oh my!
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

“The gay dude … he called me something. He was like, ‘nigger.’ So then I was like, you got me messed up. And then I called him a ‘fag.’”
Mixon claimed Molitor’s friend used the racial slur to refer to him, but didn’t say it directly to him, but was addressing the other people at the table. In the interview, detectives express disbelief that the man would have used the word at a table that included Smith, who is black.

I'm confused by Mixon's story. Mixon was apologizing to the girl trying to squash the problem, so her friend turns to the other black man at the table and calls Mixon a "n-----."

The DA bought this story and knocked this down to misdemeanor assault?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

She is like 110 pounds. You also don't destroy an 11 year old's face for pushing you.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

the real dill wrote:“The gay dude … he called me something. He was like, ‘nigger.’ So then I was like, you got me messed up. And then I called him a ‘fag.’”
Mixon claimed Molitor’s friend used the racial slur to refer to him, but didn’t say it directly to him, but was addressing the other people at the table. In the interview, detectives express disbelief that the man would have used the word at a table that included Smith, who is black.

I'm confused by Mixon's story. Mixon was apologizing to the girl trying to squash the problem, so her friend turns to the other black man at the table and calls Mixon a "n-----."

The DA bought this story and knocked this down to misdemeanor assault?
Oklahoma fans want you to watch this tape before you give too much weight to the surveillance video. It tells a very different story about Mixon's culapbility.

https://youtu.be/xPRI_P4QJ6g" target="_blank
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

uhh Bob...hitting women isn't any worse now than it was then.

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

poor guy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

the real dill wrote:
Ah, I remember the good old days of 2014 when breaking a woman's jaw wasn't such a big deal.

Come on, that's such bs. Sheese, just be honest and say what changed is that you got him to play. Now that you got the benefit and can't go back in time, it's really easy to talk about the strong stance you'll never actually have to take and didn't when you had the chance.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I can see why UT fan hates the Stoops clan.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

CalStateTempe wrote:I can see why UT fan hates the Stoops clan.
DeDe Westbrook was completely untouchable due to 2 domestic violence arrests. He represented OU at this year's Heisman ceremony. In Stoops' defense, that was back 2 years ago when beating women wasn't frowned upon.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

the real dill wrote:
DeDe Westbrook was completely untouchable due to 2 domestic violence arrests. He represented OU at this year's Heisman ceremony. In Stoops' defense, that was back 2 years ago when beating women wasn't frowned upon.
I am a UT fan by legacy and by default grew up hating OU... so I offer that up as context...Would people please stop acting as if OU fans are that different from every other fan base in the country?

Every time an athlete is charged (and evidence suggests they have been involved) with a disturbing act (esp including domestic violence)... the majority of fans knee-jerk reaction is to defend the athlete and denigrate the character of the alleged victim. It has happened here more than one - and while a few call out the act for what it is - most go into misogynistic character assassination mode in defense of "their guy".

So while it looks righteous on a message board, let's be real. Fanbases are no damn different at UT, UA, or anywhere else. But everyone can keep on acting like they'll take the high road until it happens to one of their own.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Harvey Specter wrote:
the real dill wrote:
I am a UT fan by legacy and by default grew up hating OU... so I offer that up as context...Would people please stop acting as if OU fans are that different from every other fan base in the country?

Every time an athlete is charged (and evidence suggests they have been involved) with a disturbing act (esp including domestic violence)... the majority of fans knee-jerk reaction is to defend the athlete and denigrate the character of the alleged victim. It has happened here more than one - and while a few call out the act for what it is - most go into misogynistic character assassination mode in defense of "their guy".

So while it looks righteous on a message board, let's be real. Fanbases are no damn different at UT, UA, or anywhere else. But everyone can keep on acting like they'll take the high road until it happens to one of their own.

“He’s still going to Oklahoma. We were working in conjunction with Oklahoma with these negotiations to make sure they would be comfortable with him going to the university and participating in the program.”

Michael Cristalli (May 5th, 2009)

Who is Michael Cristalli, you might be asking?

Well, he was the lawyer for former Oklahoma player Justin Chaisson back in 2009 in a case that involved Chaisson being charged with (among other things) assault with a deadly weapon, false imprisonment and battery with domestic violence.

According to the Las Vegas Sun, these were the details from the police report:

“According to a police report, on March 17, Chaisson forced his 17-year-old ex-girlfriend into the back seat of his sport utility vehicle in a coffee shop parking lot.

The victim told police Chaisson punched her in the ribs and drove her into the desert where he pulled her from the car. She said he then put a screwdriver to her neck and threatened to kill her until two of her friends pulled up on the scene and he forced her into his car again.

According to the police report, the incident ended when one of the two friends called 911 and Chaisson told his ex-girlfriend to exit his vehicle at a storage facility.

The attack on his girlfriend occurred on March 17th, 2009. Forty-nine days later, with the help of Oklahoma University, according to his lawyer, he pleaded no contest to four gross misdemeanors, instead of the felony charges initially brought against him.

Five weeks later, he was able to enroll at Oklahoma.

Much has been made over the weekend about the handling of current Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon, but for those that have questions about Bob Stoops’ decision-making and handling of the situation, you need to know something … this is who he is. Stoops is an enabler and protector of young men who commit violent crimes and actions, usually against young women.

Stoops is the guy who protected standout defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek after he put a friend of his into the hospital following a bar fight. According to the Daily Oklahoman, it was not the first allegation of violent behavior for Dvoracek. Or the second. Yet, not only did Stoops stand by his guy, he worked to get him a medical redshirt and named him one of the captains of the team the following season.

Stoops is the guy who was willing to let former linebacker Franklin Shannon return after being suspended for a season after the school investigated a sexual assault charge through a Title IX investigation. The alleged victim did not press charges, but the Daily Oklahoman reported that the investigation turned up such damaging evidence against Shannon that the investigation panel voted for Shannon to be expelled, only to have OU’s vice president for student affairs lower the punishment because he thought it was too severe. Of course, Shannon was back on the field as soon as Stoops could get him there.

Stoops is the guy who wanted to give shelter to former five-star wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham after Missouri booted him from the program following an incident involving his girlfriend, which reportedly included him allegedly two-hand shoving her down a flight of stairs. Charges weren’t pressed, but only because the victim refused to press charges in an effort to protect Green-Beckham’s pro career. Text messages from his girlfriend’s phone reported that Green-Beckham “dragged her from the apartment by the neck”

Stoops is the guy who told us this week that he knew nothing about star wide receiver Dede Westbook’s two domestic abuse arrests prior to enrolling at Oklahoma, while telling everyone in the same breath that the OU background checks are as good as it gets.

Yes, Stoops is also the guy who saw the video of Mixon breaking a woman’s face and thought that a redshirt year was the kind of punishment that was appropriate for the action.

This is Bob Stoops, a defender, protector and enabler of violent, dangerous men, who often abuse women without remorse, whether they might have kidnapped, raped, punched or shoved a woman down the flight of stairs.

This is also who Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione is, as he’s been there backing Stoops every step of the way since day one. Same with OU president David Boren.

This is who they are.

This is not my opinion. This is their record. It’s there for everyone to see it, if they want to. There’s no need to even speculate on what else might have happened that we’re not aware of (see Dede Westbrook) because, well, how many examples do you need?

Stoops might not be Art Briles, Castiglione might not be Ian McCaw and Boren might not be Ken Starr , but collectively they would appear to place the same exact value on a woman’s safety.

Zero.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I cringed. Then I got pissed...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh sh#t, this guy is playing. I thought his career was over and he was been kicked off but I guess Stoops gave him a second chance. You have got to be kidding.
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azcat49 wrote:Oh sh#t, this guy is playing. I thought his career was over and he was been kickked off but I guess Stoops gave him a second chance. You have got to be kidding.
The announcers are having to publicly (during the game) defend themselves from recently wishing Joe luck on the next level. It's was pretty humorous (unintentionally so; he was trying to be serious) stuff from Musburger.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am embarrassing I didn't know but not in my wildest after watching the video of him decking that girl and breaking her jaw that he would be playing. How can a coach defend that behavior? I am shocked literally
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:I am embarrassing I didn't know but not in my wildest after watching the video of him decking that girl and breaking her jaw that he would be playing. How can a coach defend that behavior? I am shocked literally
His punishment from the coaching staff was that he had to take the freshman redshirt year he was already going to take. So you just know Stoops takes violent criminality seriously.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The Twitter feedback got back to Musberger and he tried to "clarify" his statement. Still sounded like an idiot.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

the real dill wrote:

Both MIxon's victim and her attorney should be glad about this, anyway. A possible paycheck from which to collect.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

MrMeow wrote:
the real dill wrote:

Both MIxon's victim and her attorney should be glad about this, anyway. A possible paycheck from which to collect.

He's doing just fine, folks.

Good luck to the young man and good for Coach Stoops giving him a second chance.

-Brent Musberger
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

This will be interesting to watch down the line.

Joe has a first round grade, but multiple teams are insisting he will go undrafted.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... undrafted/" target="_blank

We'll see.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

#Prayers4Mixon
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

College football star punched me after I wouldn’t go home with him

“They were like making catcalls at me, commenting on how I looked,” she told the police. “They were talking about Joe, I suppose — I didn’t know who he was — like, ‘It’s my boy’s birthday, like, what are you going to do for him?’ Suggesting I go home with him, making very specific suggestions about what I could do to pleasure him. My first reaction was to laugh.”

“When I said I would never in a million years go anywhere with you, he goes, ‘Oh, so you’d rather go home with that f—— f—–?'” Molitor said. “I got really mad, so I faced Joe and was like, ‘Don’t f— with me. Do not mess with my friend. Just stop, go away.’ And he was like, ‘Oh you’re a bad b—-, what are you going to do about it?'”

http://nypost.com/2017/02/09/victim-in- ... -of-story/" target="_blank
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

SCCats wrote:This will be interesting to watch down the line.

Joe has a first round grade, but multiple teams are insisting he will go undrafted.

We'll see.
Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon — Not being invited to the combine didn’t hurt Mixon. If anything, teams we spoke to believe he’ll be a top-75 pick, perhaps as high as the early second round. His pro day this week could shed further light on how teams view him. But right now, Mixon has enough teams that like him that he should be in good shape despite major character concerns, barring any poor interviews from here on out.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/winne ... 33601.html" target="_blank

Looks like CREAM is going to continue it's undefeated record.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote:
SCCats wrote:This will be interesting to watch down the line.

We'll see.
Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon — Not being invited to the combine didn’t hurt Mixon. If anything, teams we spoke to believe he’ll be a top-75 pick, perhaps as high as the early second round. His pro day this week could shed further light on how teams view him. But right now, Mixon has enough teams that like him that he should be in good shape despite major character concerns, barring any poor interviews from here on out.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/winne ... 33601.html" target="_blank

Looks like CREAM is going to continue it's undefeated record.
I don't see how not going to the combine hurts him. His issues have zilch to do with his physical ability. I do like how they say "major character concern" like we don't all know what that means.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

If he impresses the scouts enough, he'll get drafted. They can posture all they want right now about how much character matters, but short of a felony conviction (and maybe not even then) - NFL teams want someone who can put fan asses in the seats. And of course not do anything that might be made public & tarnish their phony image.

It is great to see all the outrage on this board over his violent behavior towards women - without a single defender.

I guess the misogynists on the board have had an epiphany since the condemnations of that money grubbing whore that kept Kadeem from playing for 3 games... or Jesse Perry's girlfriend... or Jonathan Turner's drunk & consenting accuser... or...

Fans will be fans. Everyone is righteous when it is not one of their own in the crosshairs.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Harvey Specter wrote:If he impresses the scouts enough, he'll get drafted. They can posture all they want right now about how much character matters, but short of a felony conviction (and maybe not even then) - NFL teams want someone who can put fan asses in the seats. And of course not do anything that might be made public & tarnish their phony image.

It is great to see all the outrage on this board over his violent behavior towards women - without a single defender.

I guess the misogynists on the board have had an epiphany since the condemnations of that money grubbing whore that kept Kadeem from playing for 3 games... or Jesse Perry's girlfriend... or Jonathan Turner's drunk & consenting accuser... or...

Fans will be fans. Everyone is righteous when it is not one of their own in the crosshairs.
Lions G.M. Bob Quinn: It’s really disappointing NFL barred Joe Mixon

Lions General Manager Bob Quinn has become the most outspoken opponent yet against the NFL’s new rule barring players convicted of certain crimes from the Scouting Combine.

Quinn was asked today by Justin Rogers of the Detroit News about the situation involving Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon, and Quinn said he disagrees with the NFL’s stance.

“It’s really disappointing that he’s not here,” Quinn said. “Personally I don’t think that’s real fair.”

Mixon is one of the best running backs in this year’s draft class, but he’s not at the Combine because he punched a woman at a restaurant during his first year of college.

Quinn, who has backed off his previous zero tolerance policy toward players with a history of domestic violence, confirmed that Mixon is still on the Lions’ draft board.

So Quinn will consider drafting Mixon, and he wants to gather all the information on Mixon he can. At the Combine this week, Quinn can’t gather any information about Mixon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... joe-mixon/" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:If he impresses the scouts enough, he'll get drafted. They can posture all they want right now about how much character matters, but short of a felony conviction (and maybe not even then) - NFL teams want someone who can put fan asses in the seats. And of course not do anything that might be made public & tarnish their phony image.

You seem to be forgetting the reaction to Orlando Bradford, which would seem to run counter to your "everyone is righteous when it is not one of their own" argument.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:

You seem to be forgetting the reaction to Orlando Bradford, which would seem to run counter to your "everyone is righteous when it is not one of their own" argument.
Also, and I'm sort of sorry it is like this, but it is, video matters. People essentially knew what Ray Rice did, but he didn't get full wrath until the video broke and people had to watch.

Mixon had been suspended for the incident, but the video breaking was when he got toxic. It isn't right, but when people have to watch it, public opinion changes.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Also, and I'm sort of sorry it is like this, but it is, video matters. People essentially knew what Ray Rice did, but he didn't get full wrath until the video broke and people had to watch.

Mixon had been suspended for the incident, but the video breaking was when he got toxic. It isn't right, but when people have to watch it, public opinion changes.
Attitudes have also changed when it comes to domestic violence and violence by young men. On the DV front, we have gone from there being a certain diameter stick with which you could beat your wife, to it being a "private matter", to it being frowned upon, to a criminal act worthy of prosecution in all cases, and now to a time when domestic abusers are seen as some of lowest forms of humanity. But that arc is actually a fairly recent development.

Same with bar brawls and such. Football players used to get away with all manner of violence because there was a "boys will be boys" attitude, and people thought that since football was a violent game, it was natural for players to be rough and tumble off the field as well. Now, as you mentioned, with video, and with social media, we can see the violence and aftermath first hand, and it's a lot harder to dismiss it as youthful shenanigans.