Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Coach Rod

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:The real reason why RR will be here in 2018 and why he will get a one year extension is Heeke knows and expects a better year next year and that he can t complete with the other openings this year in addition to the fact no one can name one coach that would come here that would do better than RR right away.

Firing someone or calling for the firing of someone without a plan or without being able to bring someone in better is complete ignorance.
He's got 3 years left on his contract, Heeke isn't extending him for another year to increase his fricken buyout. If he wins big next year then we can talk extension, otherwise stfu, you've got 3 years left on your contract.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:The real reason why RR will be here in 2018 and why he will get a one year extension is Heeke knows and expects a better year next year and that he can t complete with the other openings this year in addition to the fact no one can name one coach that would come here that would do better than RR right away.

Firing someone or calling for the firing of someone without a plan or without being able to bring someone in better is complete ignorance.
He's got 3 years left on his contract, Heeke isn't extending him for another year to increase his fricken buyout. If he wins big next year then we can talk extension, otherwise stfu, you've got 3 years left on your contract.
As far as just the coach you are correct 100%.

But how are recruits going to take it. 2018 recruits are going to think, great you are recruiting me now but you wont be here for my senior year or RS jr and sr years. 2019 and 2020 recruits are obviously worse.

Give him a year extension, but make the buyout stay the same until after next season.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I doubt RR would sign a extension that doesn’t increase pay or the schools buyout.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

OSUCat wrote:I doubt RR would sign a extension that doesn’t increase pay or the schools buyout.
Increase his base pay and or his incentives for this year
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote: Bingo. Nailed it.
Just wanted to add Mike Price went to 2 Rose Bowls while coaching at Wazzu, and put 4 or 5 QBs into the NFL in the PAC-10 era, while UA had none and none.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

But how are recruits going to take it. 2018 recruits are going to think, great you are recruiting me now but you wont be here for my senior year or RS jr and sr years. 2019 and 2020 recruits are obviously worse.

Give him a year extension, but make the buyout stay the same until after next season.

Oh no how will be survive without 5'8 slow footed community college okg's
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

This is fascinating to me. A lot of you bitch about the recruiting, now you want to make it harder for him to get better at recruiting?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

PHXCATS wrote:I don't like it but think it's necessary. Still say 9 wins or the axe next year.
Not apples to apples comparison but think we all would enjoy 9 win season. In modern era (I count it as 1962, start of WAC days) UA has had only six seasons with 9 or more wins. And four of those happened back in the days of 11 or 12 games including a bowl in the season. Only Twice in 20 years with 9 or more wins in a season with a 13 or 14 game slate (includes bowl).
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

PHXCATS wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

This is fascinating to me. A lot of you bitch about the recruiting, now you want to make it harder for him to get better at recruiting?
Todd Graham didn't get extended and had a better 2017 recruiting class than ours. This year, we have 19 commits that are 3 stars. They have 14 commits that are 3 stars. An extension won't effect this class and if he wins next year, those 2019 kids will know he'll get extended.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I don't like it but think it's necessary. Still say 9 wins or the axe next year.
Not apples to apples comparison but think we all would enjoy 9 win season. In modern era (I count it as 1962, start of WAC days) UA has had only six seasons with 9 or more wins. And four of those happened back in the days of 11 or 12 games including a bowl in the season. Only Twice in 20 years with 9 or more wins in a season with a 13 or 14 game slate (includes bowl).
The trajectory of the team this year plus the schedule next year makes 9 wins very doable.

RR is not perfect and doesnt have enough equity to where we are certain if next year does not work out that he will turn it around and get the program to the next level.

That is just my opinion and i know other share it that know more football than me. So that is what I believe is best for the future of this program.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I'll quote myself; There are still 3 years on the current contract. I don't see why a kid would not sign up if he doesn't have an extension. He has next year to earn an extension. If RR believes in himself, he'd want the chance to negotiate the contract next year after they win the Pac12 South. Any extension they negotiate now would be for a minimal amount and have all kinds of outs for Arizona in case a year like 2016 happens again.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

His recruiting is already screwed, so what? After next season he still has 2 years left on his contract. You act as if the guy having a long term contract will help him land 5 stars or something. We've seen his recruiting for 6 years now, it is what it is regardless if you have him on a 2 year contract or lifetime. Our team is very young, recruiting in a make or break year isn't remotely the biggest issue we have to deal with for our future.

Let's sum it up to the most important part of all of this, Rich Rod just had the worst home attendance Arizona football has had since the Mackovic era. What Athletic Director in his right fricken mind would extend a coach who can't make his athletic department money? He'd laugh in your face if you brought up "but but what about recruiting" as a reason to extend him now.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

His recruiting is already screwed, so what? After next season he still has 2 years left on his contract. You act as if the guy having a long term contract will help him land 5 stars or something. We've seen his recruiting for 6 years now, our team is very young, recruiting in a make or break year isn't remotely the biggest issue we have to deal with.

Let's sum it up to the most important part of all of this, Rich Rod just had the worst home attendance Arizona football has had since the Mackovic era. What Athletic Director in his right fricken mind would extend a coach who can't make his athletic department money? He'd laugh in your face if you brought up "but but what about recruiting" as a reason to extend him now.
I will buy your line of thinking if you can show me a few good coaches at good schools who have 2 years left on their current deals.

Other schools will badly negative recruit against us if RR is not given more than four years on his deal.

Would you send your son to play for a coach who does not have a contract for four years or more? Parents and players understand coaching changes happen but they dont want one that is almost a guarantee when picking the school.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Just to clarify. RR has 2 seasons left on his contract. Not to be confused with 3 years left. As of now, his contract expires May 2020.

2.5 years left on contract. Or, after this class, two signing classes left on his existing contract.

RR's buyout if Fired today would be about $5 million.

UA admin playing with a little house money because if RR is fired after March 2018 (4 months), let's say April 2018, RR's buyout would be about $4.3 million PLUS the money from Donor and retention fund of about $3.13 million
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Just to clarify. RR has 2 seasons left on his contract. Not to be confused with 3 years left. As of now, his contract expires May 2020.

2.5 years left on contract.

UA admin playing with a little house money because if RR is fired after March 2018 (4 months), let's say April 2018, RR's buyout would be about $4.3 million PLUS the money from Donor and retention fund of about $3.13 million

Wow an extension is a must now
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Can him.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Can him.
And hire who?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Just to clarify. RR has 2 seasons left on his contract. Not to be confused with 3 years left. As of now, his contract expires May 2020.

2.5 years left on contract.

Wow an extension is a must now
No. Shut up.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
And hire who?
Whoever Dave Heeke and our donors ultimately decide on. I'm not advocating for canning him now, because I know we're not going to, but the tail between the legs scared of the unknown is ridiculous. You hire the best damn candidate you can get, give them all the tools necessary to win that you can provide, and hope for the best. You don't stay with a girlfriend who doesn't like giving blowjobs because you're afraid the next girl you date possibly won't give you one at all. Just like anything in life you strive for better. Guess what? If the next coach doesn't perform either you go out and hire another one. This isn't difficult.

Now knock it off with the nonsensical extension talk.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

His recruiting is already screwed, so what? After next season he still has 2 years left on his contract. You act as if the guy having a long term contract will help him land 5 stars or something. We've seen his recruiting for 6 years now, our team is very young, recruiting in a make or break year isn't remotely the biggest issue we have to deal with.

I will buy your line of thinking if you can show me a few good coaches at good schools who have 2 years left on their current deals.

Other schools will badly negative recruit against us if RR is not given more than four years on his deal.

Would you send your son to play for a coach who does not have a contract for four years or more? Parents and players understand coaching changes happen but they dont want one that is almost a guarantee when picking the school.
Kevin Sumlin's contract was up in 2019. Prior to his firing he had 9 4 star commitments lined up. Shut up about recruiting and extensions. You're ridiculous.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote: Kevin Sumlin's contract was up in 2019. Prior to his firing he had 9 4 star commitments lined up. Shut up about recruiting and extensions. You're ridiculous.
And Sumlin just was cut a check for $10M, he could work at the UA for RichRod pay and not have near the expectations as he would in Tempe.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
And hire who?
Whoever Dave Heeke and our donors ultimately decide on. I'm not advocating for canning him now, because I know we're not going to, but the tail between the legs scared of the unknown is ridiculous. You hire the best damn candidate you can get, give them all the tools necessary to win that you can provide, and hope for the best. You don't stay with a girlfriend who doesn't like giving blowjobs because you're afraid the next girl you date possibly won't give you one at all. Just like anything in life you strive for better. Guess what? If the next coach doesn't perform either you go out and hire another one. This isn't difficult.

Now knock it off with the nonsensical extension talk.
This. We take a chance. Maybe not this year, but I would rather have risk/reward, than settling every year. 6/7 years to prove yourself is long enough.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yea I don't get the talk at all about extending RR. We have given him enough.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
jimson

Post by jimson »

Harvey Specter wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I think we would have a shot at any coach ASU would... we will see who they land. I believe either Sumlin or Miles are possibilities. Neither is likely to get an elite job, and we should be competitive with any non-elite BCS program for a coach.
Miles isn't going to be considered. Its obvious what specific quality Ray Anderson is looking for, and that is the whole reason he fired Graham.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

If Tennessee doesn't bring him home, thoughts on Tee Martin? (speculating for next year)
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

azcat49 wrote:Yea I don't get the talk at all about extending RR. We have given him enough.
Yep. RR earned a reprieve, not an extension.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:If Tennessee doesn't bring him home, thoughts on Tee Martin? (speculating for next year)

I mentioned him as my #1 for Arizona prior to the season starting. His major prowess is recruiting SoCal and the assistants that he could/would get. He's a little green in the coaching area but I think he would be worth the gamble. Just my opinion.
jimson

Post by jimson »

btfd16 wrote:If Tennessee doesn't bring him home, thoughts on Tee Martin? (speculating for next year)
Maybe, but if we are looking to hire someone for their first HC job, I'd rather see Cecil or Hunley. Either one would invest 100% and you likely wouldn't worry about them always job shopping. Just my opinion.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UAdevil wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Yea I don't get the talk at all about extending RR. We have given him enough.
Yep. RR earned a reprieve, not an extension.
I like the way you phrased that Devil. Props
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

jimson wrote:
Maybe, but if we are looking to hire someone for their first HC job, I'd rather see Cecil or Hunley. Either one would invest 100% and you likely wouldn't worry about them always job shopping. Just my opinion.
You would base your hiring decision on how hard they try, and that they wouldn't shop around?

Suggestion: keep your day job.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

jimson wrote:

Cecil is only good as an assistant. Same as Hunley. Hunley doesn't want the job.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:
jimson wrote:

Cecil is only good as an assistant. Same as Hunley. Hunley doesn't want the job.
There is a reason why Cecil and Hunley are life long position coaches, although I think Cecil had one year as DC before being fired.

Although those 2 are probably great at meet and greets. Just a figurehead HC like Joe Pa was the last few years.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

jimson wrote:
Hiring an alum as HC or a coordinator often bombs out. Yes, they're all in, but coaches are hired to be fired. 73 FBS schools have coaches that were hired in 2015 or later (including currently open jobs.) It doesn't matter who you are, few people are long for CFB coaching jobs.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
jimson wrote:

There is a reason why Cecil and Hunley are life long position coaches, although I think Cecil had one year as DC before being fired.

Although those 2 are probably great at meet and greets. Just a figurehead HC like Joe Pa was the last few years.
Would love to start the defensive staff with Cecil DB and Salave'a DL
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Okay, if we were to Fire RR... Promote Yates to Interim HC with possibility of earning HC if he proves himself, keep McGee and Smith to keep Tate happy, and bring in Salavea as DC. Get Poly pipeline going!! Yippee, this is fun!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UALoco wrote:Okay, if we were to Fire RR... Promote Yates to Interim HC with possibility of earning HC if he proves himself, keep McGee and Smith to keep Tate happy, and bring in Salavea as DC. Get Poly pipeline going!! Yippee, this is fun!

I’d rather slide naked down a bannister made of razor blades into a pool of rubbing alcohol.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Another thing to keep in mind is both Yates and Magee contracts will need to be renewed soon. Next month or two. Both of their two year contracts come to an end. So you can have situation where they are renewed for 1 or multiple years and no extension for RR
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Yates is garbage. He’s Casteel 2.0. This whole staff and it’s HC needs an enema.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

For cats after next season since we don't have the coin this season...

Les miles
Tee martin
An up and comer at a mid major.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:For cats after next season since we don't have the coin this season...

Les miles
Tee martin
Lane Kiffin or gtfo.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

JOEY FRESHWATER NOW
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
jimson wrote:

This.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:For cats after next season since we don't have the coin this season...

Les miles
Tee martin
Lane Kiffin or gtfo.
All of the above. At the same time.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Les miles
Tee martin
Lane Kiffin or gtfo.
Lol, I could get behind this.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Les will be 65 at the start and turn 66 during 2019 season. I like it but that might be a little too old
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Names I've seen thrown around as up and comers are Candle from Toledo and Littrell from UNT. I grew up 30 min from UNT and boy were they awful.. Pretty amazing what he's done.

My shortlist is still Tee Martin or Lane Train for pure entertainment and exposure value.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

chiefzona wrote:Yates is garbage. He’s Casteel 2.0. This whole staff and it’s HC needs an enema.
Sounds like someone is bitter cause they got passed over for a D1 coaching assistant job and is stuck doing media and club ball crap.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Les miles
Tee martin
Lane Kiffin or gtfo.
Yeah, get Kiffin..it is like some perverted type of payback on USC for stealing Larry Smith.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

No Kiffin here. Ever.

The guy's a dick.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion