Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

Re: Rich Rod

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:Getting ASU basketball bad?

That's awesome.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:Getting ASU basketball bad?

I hear they're changing the stadium nickname to The Big Trailer.
Right where I want to be.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Posted the link to the entire interview on the arch-rivals thread. Former Michigan QB Michael Taylor complains about the school's problems including this about Coach Rod:
"It came to a certain point where folks (former players) wanted to root against our own program. When Rich Rodriguez got the job, I don't think people understand how difficult of a job it was that he took over. First of all, he didn't have 85 scholarship players when he took over the program. … We all understand he took over 50-55 scholarship players. You can't win in the Big Ten or anywhere else with that number of players. While we were going through our toughest times, guys decided they were going to sabotage recruiting, badmouth the program on their social media outlets. This is a new day and era where these kids are social media-driven. When you have those type of things, you lose recruits, you lose support."
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Good stuff ANGCat!
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

MIchigan fans are going to be furious when they wake up.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

OSUCat wrote:MIchigan fans are going to be furious when they wake up.

https://michigan.rivals.com/forum.asp?s ... 39&style=2
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

OSUCat wrote:MIchigan fans are going to be furious when they wake up.
Go to MGOBlog - they are already furious.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

It had to be almost a perfect storm for us to get a coach of RR's caliber. Somehow he had to get run out of his previous spot, as though he suddenly forgot how to coach, not be picked up by another Div. 1 team, and almost fall into our laps with a serious chip on his shoulder to prove everyone wrong.

Still not 100% sold on the defensive schemes, but they sure work against Oregon! Could not be happier to have one of the most entertaining coaches and brands of football in the country!

Go Cats!!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Listen to Cal Magee from day one at the airport...

"We are going to play an exciting brand of football, and we're gonna really love our kids..."

Coach Magee nails it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I would have thought RR was a Mac guy.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

That laptop may be the only working one in the country older than mine. :lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RichRod deserves a raise. Bump his salary higher than Dream Job Graham Cracka's at the end of the season. He's an #OKG. Gotta keep him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:RichRod deserves a raise. Bump his salary higher than Dream Job Graham Cracka's at the end of the season. He's an #OKG. Gotta keep him.

I agree. RR has put himself back on the radar for any upper tier program openings. He was underpaid when he came here, and he has never said that the UA is his dream job and he wants to stay here forever. Just a bunch of maybes and ifs.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:RichRod deserves a raise. Bump his salary higher than Dream Job Graham Cracka's at the end of the season. He's an #OKG. Gotta keep him.

I agree. RR has put himself back on the radar for any upper tier program openings. He was underpaid when he came here, and he has never said that the UA is his dream job and he wants to stay here forever. Just a bunch of maybes and ifs.
I think he said he wants to stay in Tucson forever and doesnt plan on leaving during his first press conference.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

One thing for certain, RR took Helfitch to the woodshed for the second year in a row. I mean flat out embarresed him from a coaching perspective.

No greater example then when we ran that wheel route to TJG on the right side of the field and then about 2 plays later we ran it to the left side and NW scored. No awareness of this by the Oregon defense and of course no adjustment.

Oregon football is done being what it was IMO as long as they keep Helfitch as coach. The guy is a boy and he was coaching against a man in RR
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Seems Rich Rod pretty content in Tucson. The new retention fund is a very competitive Golden Handcuff. University also changed his annual bonus perks where he should be able to make additional $250K - $500k per year on top of his built in $100k per year bumps.

$175,000 for appearing in a non-major, non-final four bowl game;

OR

$200,000 for appearing in a non-final four major bowl; $300,000 for winning the
game (non-cumulative)

Final Bowl Championship Series ranking (non-cumulative);
Top 10 $75,000
11-15 $50,000
16-25 $25,000

Total Season Victories (non-cumulative)
9 $125,000
10 $150,000
11 $250,000
12 $350,000

CGPA
2.60 $ 50,000
2.75 $125,000
2.90 $175,000
3.00 $200,000

Bonus higher for better bowl game, Pac12 Champ game/win, COY etc. He also has all his core assistants which seems big to Rich Rod. Getting assistants paid I think is a bigger deal now long-term. He's in year 3 of rebuilding a program (it takes time), doesn't "seem" anxious to have to start over (UM)... Rich Rod early on stated multiple times he wanted to retire in Tucson. Even said that he would sign a "permanent" contract until his retirement if AZ law allowed it. In fact, I'm glad he's stop saying this publicly (ramifications).

I assume if RR continues to be successful, gets buy-in, Program resources, coaches paid and Byrne still here, he'll want to stay and continue to get contract extensions that state law allows.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Thats really cool on CGPA
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Coming on Gottlieb now on 1290 AM:

http://player.listenlive.co/26441
-JB
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azcat49 wrote:One thing for certain, RR took Helfitch to the woodshed for the second year in a row. I mean flat out embarresed him from a coaching perspective.

No greater example then when we ran that wheel route to TJG on the right side of the field and then about 2 plays later we ran it to the left side and NW scored. No awareness of this by the Oregon defense and of course no adjustment.

Oregon football is done being what it was IMO as long as they keep Helfitch as coach. The guy is a boy and he was coaching against a man in RR
I remember after the 2012 blowout, RR went, and shook Kelly's hand but both of them kept walking and barely broke stride; they didn't really say much of anything to each other. The look on RichRod's face was one where you could see that he was filing this one away for payback. I think he would have loved to have beaten Kelly instead of Helfrich, but he'll definitely take this payback.

A friend asked me a few months ago what I thought of this statement: "In five years, Chip Kelly will be the head coach at Oregon again." I told him I'd take that bet.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

RichRod was on Bickley today and he was not shy in saying he wants to be in Tucson and that he believes we can win national championships here. His daughter is at u of a , his son is playing HS football, and he mentioned signing a contract extension. He also said there are things that need to be done to help recruiting and that the administration is behind him 100%.

If course he will be courted by other schools if he keeps up the trend of success and improvement, but he has also seen how Tucson can treat a national power in our basketball program, so why risk a new environment? If he has the support he wants and can actually build withe program to compete with the other power schools, why go anywhere? The thing people admittedly did not appreciate at Michigan was RichRod's genius ability to create and win on his own terms and ideas. His offensive schemes changed he entire world of college football and right when he could have capitalized and become the king shit of the sport at WVU he left thinking a power historical program would help him realize his dream in a faster and bigger way. Why on earth would he make that mistake twice? Yes his is a story of redemption and proving he can be a success again, but what better way to stick it to the people who either (a) doubted him or (b) copied him at bigger programs than to do it right here in Tucson?
Salty

Post by Salty »

splitsecond wrote:RichRod was on Bickley today and he was not shy in saying he wants to be in Tucson and that he believes we can win national championships here. His daughter is at u of a , his son is playing HS football, and he mentioned signing a contract extension. He also said there are things that need to be done to help recruiting and that the administration is behind him 100%.

If course he will be courted by other schools if he keeps up the trend of success and improvement, but he has also seen how Tucson can treat a national power in our basketball program, so why risk a new environment? If he has the support he wants and can actually build withe program to compete with the other power schools, why go anywhere? The thing people admittedly did not appreciate at Michigan was RichRod's genius ability to create and win on his own terms and ideas. His offensive schemes changed he entire world of college football and right when he could have capitalized and become the king shit of the sport at WVU he left thinking a power historical program would help him realize his dream in a faster and bigger way. Why on earth would he make that mistake twice? Yes his is a story of redemption and proving he can be a success again, but what better way to stick it to the people who either (a) doubted him or (b) copied him at bigger programs than to do it right here in Tucson?
This. All of this.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

The happiest and most satisfied Coach Rod has been in a post game press conference all year.

illcat

Post by illcat »

catgrad97 wrote:That laptop may be the only working one in the country older than mine. :lol:
I doubt it CG my backup lap top is a Dell Inspiron 6000 running XP............ :lol:
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good Brinkley azcentral article on Coach Rod.
Headline in the Detroit Free Press: "Rich Rod plucks Ducks, tweaks U-M."

Headline at Cleveland.com: "Rich Rodriguez adds to Michigan's lousy week with Arizona's upset of Oregon."

Rodriguez chuckles when he hears those headlines. But he won't indulge the subject for long.

"A lot of our staff was on that ride with me as well, and we were so disappointed that we couldn't see that thing through at Michigan. And now we get an opportunity to try again. But we're not even close to where we're going to be. That's why we're so excited."

The implications are thrilling for Wildcats fans, who have never seen their team play in Rose Bowl, much less a national-championship game: Rodriguez is in his third season in Tucson, where he is 21-10 overall. If we're all witnessing the re-emergence of an impact coach burning for revenge, Arizona could be entering its golden era of athletics.

Can you name another school with a better combo platter of football and basketball coaches? Certainly the pairing of Rodriguez and Sean Miller makes a short list that includes Ohio State (Urban Meyer, Thad Matta), Michigan State (Mark Dantonio, Tom Izzo), Oklahoma (Bob Stoops, Lon Kruger) and Duke (David Cutcliffe and Mike Krzyzewski).

"I've been around coaches my entire life," Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne said. "They're all extremely competitive or they would never get to this level. But I've never met anyone more competitive than Rich Rodriguez and Sean Miller."

"My son is playing well in high school, starting as a sophomore (quarterback)," Rodriguez said. "My daughter made the cheering squad at U of A. And I love the weather. Are you kidding me? Look outside. And the support I've gotten, and my staff has gotten from U of A fans and the university is outstanding. So we're really happy here. And we want to build the best program in America right here in Tucson, Arizona."
Machina

Post by Machina »

CBCat

Post by CBCat »

ANGCatFan wrote:Good Brinkley azcentral article on Coach Rod.
Headline in the Detroit Free Press: "Rich Rod plucks Ducks, tweaks U-M."

Headline at Cleveland.com: "Rich Rodriguez adds to Michigan's lousy week with Arizona's upset of Oregon."

Rodriguez chuckles when he hears those headlines. But he won't indulge the subject for long.

"A lot of our staff was on that ride with me as well, and we were so disappointed that we couldn't see that thing through at Michigan. And now we get an opportunity to try again. But we're not even close to where we're going to be. That's why we're so excited."

The implications are thrilling for Wildcats fans, who have never seen their team play in Rose Bowl, much less a national-championship game: Rodriguez is in his third season in Tucson, where he is 21-10 overall. If we're all witnessing the re-emergence of an impact coach burning for revenge, Arizona could be entering its golden era of athletics.

Can you name another school with a better combo platter of football and basketball coaches? Certainly the pairing of Rodriguez and Sean Miller makes a short list that includes Ohio State (Urban Meyer, Thad Matta), Michigan State (Mark Dantonio, Tom Izzo), Oklahoma (Bob Stoops, Lon Kruger) and Duke (David Cutcliffe and Mike Krzyzewski).

"I've been around coaches my entire life," Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne said. "They're all extremely competitive or they would never get to this level. But I've never met anyone more competitive than Rich Rodriguez and Sean Miller."

"My son is playing well in high school, starting as a sophomore (quarterback)," Rodriguez said. "My daughter made the cheering squad at U of A. And I love the weather. Are you kidding me? Look outside. And the support I've gotten, and my staff has gotten from U of A fans and the university is outstanding. So we're really happy here. And we want to build the best program in America right here in Tucson, Arizona."

The cynic in me says take it with a grain of salt. But I always go back to how much it seems just about ALL of us who have gone to school in Tucson loved it there and never really wanted to leave but had to for jobs etc. I really obviously hope it happens. Exciting times in Tucson. Go Cats!!
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Coach's radio show with Brian Jeffries on right now.

http://player.listenlive.co/26441
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good Bleacher Report article on Coach Rod. His national reputation will continue to skyrocket as long as we keep winning, so we better figure out how to keep him.
Now that he's back, it only means other schools are going to come calling again, going to consider his problems at Michigan to be the fault of Michigan's dysfunction.

Enjoy the moment, Arizona fans. Because these things turn fast in college football. Rodriguez will be courted by the end of the year. Count on it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well he has the whole incentive package with the oil stock or whatever to help. But if we win 10+ games this year then his base salary should get bumped up too. We win 8-9 games he stays. We win or play for the national title, I think he stays here. But if we "just" win like 10-11 games then he'll be courted by several schools.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

If Bleacher Report is trying to make me worry, it's not working. It's not like Arizona fans aren't used to having a highly sought after coach. Only now we'll probably have two highly sought after coaches instead of just one, and Byrne isn't going to let either of them get away easily.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

I just hope Florida keeps winning.
Berkut

Post by Berkut »

I think we owe so very much to Michigan.

Not only were they dumb enough to screw over one of the great offensive minds of college football coaching, they did so in a manner that I *think* has made Rodriguez realize just what is and is not important in his career.

Maybe this is mostly wishful thinking on my part, but my hope is that Michigan has made it abundantly clear that being in a "name" destination really isn't the end goal - the end goal is being somewhere where

1. You can win, and
2. You can do at the highest level, and get the highest rewards when it happens.

Arizona is not Michigan or Florida or Alabama. But the school is willing to do what it takes to create a championship program, and if Rodriguez can deliver, he will be compensated accordingly. The "name" destinations, in many ways, are very over-rated.

I think if he continues to win the way we hope, he will be at Arizona a long, long time.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

TuiTouchdown wrote:I just hope Florida keeps winning.
Dan Mullen.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

AZCatGirl wrote:If Bleacher Report is trying to make me worry, it's not working. It's not like Arizona fans aren't used to having a highly sought after coach. Only now we'll probably have two highly sought after coaches instead of just one, and Byrne isn't going to let either of them get away easily.
Two highly sought after coaches and maybe the most sought after AD in the country.

We will never be able to offer the dollars of the elite programs, but I think having all three (and also a great group of coaches for our non-revenue sports) gives us a big advantage. These guys like and trust each other. You may get paid more money somewhere else, but they may never find better working relationships.

Big key for me - pay the assistants. The head coaches will always get paid well even if not at the elite level, but if we work hard to pay assistants above the going rate we will keep both coaches.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

RichRod has a kid who is a starting QB as a sophomore on his high school team.

I don't think he's going anywhere until possibly his kids finish high school.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino being Gimino - "Enjoy the Moment". The more outlets he writes for the better he writes.
Arizona doesn't usually stay in the rare air when reaching these heights. The Wildcats are 13-8-1 when playing as a team ranked in the Top 10. Teams with that kind of rating should be winning more than 59 percent of their games.

So, yes, Arizona fans might be conditioned for an eventual disappointment, but don't worry about that now. Save the hand-wringing about losing Rodriguez to another school - cough, cough ... Florida ... cough, cough - for another time.

On this day, Arizona's coaches, facilities, athletic director, conference, momentum and young talent combine to form a program that is in its best and most sustainable shape ... ever. That's not going to change, no matter what happens Saturday night.

Enjoy.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Alieberman wrote:RichRod has a kid who is a starting QB as a sophomore on his high school team.

His daughter is a cheerleader at UofA as well.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Happens every year. Sites manufacture drama. throw out click bait.

Bleacher's Rich Rod to another school not even the 1st article this week regarding. More will come. Nature of the beast.

Really don't think Rich Rod going anywhere. Again, that retention fund pretty competitive. Keeping his core assistants intact important factor. Keep Allowing Rich Rod the resources and autonomy to succeed or lose plays a big factor (what failed at WV). Greg Byrne at Arizona a big factor. NOT having to start over a big factor.

Rich Rod has stated several times that he just wants to be where he has a chance to be competitive. That the school is bought in to winning and going after a ring. Think Rich Rod enjoys the level of "politics" (less) Arizona has to offer as well. Rich Rod's base at WV was $2 mil/yr. Michigan $2.5mil/yr. Current Arizona contract averages $2.25mil yr plus bonuses. Add in projected retention fund value IF Rich Rod still here in 5 years and NO more extensions/increases it would add another $1.2 - $1.8mil average/year to Rich Rods current base annual salary

Arizona success does give Rich Rod tremendous leverage. Looking at his WV history, he was more into using that leverage to get resources to build up the program or to get his assistants what they needed. Yes, he got contract increase/extensions, but that's not primary what he was after when he was at his highest peak at WV

BTW, Rich Rod has Arizona #10 in the country. He's already been in top 25 couple times in the 2.5 years been here. West coast recruiting doing wonders for his offensive scheme. Enjoy it!
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:RichRod has a kid who is a starting QB as a sophomore on his high school team.

potentially...unless he gets offered 5 million a year from florida in a few months and his kid can go play in a much better high school competition area in florida. arizona couldn't match that. with a potential raise for sean miller coming and dealing with the finances for the mckale renovation, it will take some more big time donations for us to be able to give rich rod a highly competitive top 10 type salary. in order for us to keep him, we will have to probably double his base pay. right now i believe it is only 1.85 million a year, which is barely in the top 50 for salary. to even be top 20, he'll have to have his base salary bumped to at least 2.8-3.0 million a year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.