Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BibbysTowelDude

Re: Rich Rod

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Rich Rod will not be getting a game less than five full seasons even if he starts out 0-4 against ASU. I have a hard time believing he wont get at the very least six full, even if he's 0-5 against ASU.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:Rich Rod will not be getting a game less than five full seasons even if he starts out 0-4 against ASU. I have a hard time believing he wont get at the very least six full, even if he's 0-5 against ASU.
i agree with the 5 seasons but not the 6 at all. if we go like 7-6 this year and win less than 8 games in year 4..then he will be on the hot seat for year 5. greg byrne is different. he fired mike stoops after stoops only coaching about 18 games under byrne. if in his first 4 years arizona goes like 8-5, 8-5, 7-6, 7-6 or something...then yeah..byrne will make it 9+ wins or bust for year 5. byrne won't tolerate rich rod having 4 straight like 5-7 win seasons. this ain't livengood. i honestly think that privately and not publicly, RR will be on at least the edge of the hot seat in december if arizona goes 7-5 or less in the regular season this year if that includes a loss to asu.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

If that scenario happens, Arizona going into the Duel with 9 wins, then a loss would likely knock us out of the PAC12 championship game..RR might not be on the hot seat but the end result is the same..a white hot burning hate for the devils. Its hard to be the best team in the nation, in your conference, or even in your division if you are not the best team in the state....ask Alabama.
Salty

Post by Salty »

If RR goes 0-4 vs asu, I don't see any reason to keep my season tickets.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Salty wrote:If RR goes 0-4 vs asu, I don't see any reason to keep my season tickets.
Even if we're 12-1 with a top 4 finish?

BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

ASUHATER! wrote:
BibbysTowelDude wrote:Rich Rod will not be getting a game less than five full seasons even if he starts out 0-4 against ASU. I have a hard time believing he wont get at the very least six full, even if he's 0-5 against ASU.
i agree with the 5 seasons but not the 6 at all. if we go like 7-6 this year and win less than 8 games in year 4..then he will be on the hot seat for year 5. greg byrne is different. he fired mike stoops after stoops only coaching about 18 games under byrne. if in his first 4 years arizona goes like 8-5, 8-5, 7-6, 7-6 or something...then yeah..byrne will make it 9+ wins or bust for year 5. byrne won't tolerate rich rod having 4 straight like 5-7 win seasons. this ain't livengood. i honestly think that privately and not publicly, RR will be on at least the edge of the hot seat in december if arizona goes 7-5 or less in the regular season this year if that includes a loss to asu.
Don't necessarily disagree with you, but Mike Stoops wasn't Greg Byrnes' hire, so that leash was always going to be pretty damn short.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Salty

Post by Salty »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Salty wrote:If RR goes 0-4 vs asu, I don't see any reason to keep my season tickets.
Even if we're 12-1 with a top 4 finish?
If we win 12 games, I don't think we'll lose to asu.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Don't necessarily disagree with you, but Mike Stoops wasn't Greg Byrnes' hire, so that leash was always going to be pretty damn short.
fair enough. but byrne doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would be fine with RR sliding along with 6-6/7-5 seasons year after year after year. byrne wants to make arizona a winner and has put a lot of money and energy into making the football program great. RR is his guy, but if after 4-5 years we're still going 7-6/6-7/8-5 every year...i guarantee he'll have no problem firing him.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not even sure Byrne will be here by then.

But as long as RichRod goes along with the gimmicky uniforms and white/red outs, Byrne will let him stay.

Can you imagine Lute putting up with that?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bball team doesn't need that stuff. Football team absolutely needs the uniforms and gimmicks to stand out. Besides rich rod and the players and a lot of fans love them.

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Think Byrne and RR tenure connected. RichRod likes the freedom/autonomy he's provided by Byrne. And Byrne's legacy at Arizona tied in part to Rich Rod. As long as Rich Rod going to bowls his coaching seat is safe or warm. What gets it warmer or hot is losing seasons AND/lots more consecutive Losses to ASU.

Rich Rod will need to get more pay increases for his staff to keep him "happy" here. But I'm assuming that's already been planned and wink of the eye "promised". As long as RichRod has freedom on his own to succeed or fail and he can retain his core staff he'll be content.

If Arizona loses to ASU again this year, at home, then I think you'll see a concentrated/more public approach to territorial cup from staff (like BeTheOne etc to tackle attendance) but more subtle but also more vocal than now to release some of the pressure. But I can't see Byrne firing Rich Rod if he has winning record/bowls and losing to ASU another year or two. Would think it would have to be other negative program issue AND losses to ASU for Byrne to pull trigger and start over. Won't be until closer to 2018/2019 (closer to retention plan vestment) when the seat would even get Hot enough to pull any trigger.

Doesn't mean Fans expressing more their displeasure at more ASU losses before then wouldn't "force" the staff and Byrne to be more publicly vocal and emotional about the rivalry. I'm sure it would.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

While as a fan I am thrilled to have a steady amount of wins and I don't see RR doing any worse than he has, I have no idea why any larger school would want him, yet. I'm sure there are many schools that would like to get his services (possibly teams ranked 48-128) but it would be either lateral move or a step back. I just wouldn't get why anyone would do that unless they are about to retire and I don't see RR retiring any time soon. Get Arizona to the conference championship a few times and maybe even win one and you'll probably have some schools calling. Until then, keep getting wins at Arizona!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Byrne and Rich Rod are going no where.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

[youtube]x7rYn9atq78[/youtube]
This is the video from the link in the previous post.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Love the vid. My colleague's boy is one of the crazy dresser. He is the one in the full body suit. Got my tickets Saturday in the mail. Lets get this thing going
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Let him try for a third time before you say he will go 0-4. Since you already have him losing it this year, go ahead and turn your tickets now.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Salty

Post by Salty »

MountainCat wrote:
Let him try for a third time before you say he will go 0-4. Since you already have him losing it this year, go ahead and turn your tickets now.
Yeah. IF he were to lose this year. And then again the next year.

Jackass.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Salty wrote:
MountainCat wrote:

Jackass.
If, if,....Whatever. I am looking forward to the new season and it sounds like you want him to lose this year so you can have the chance to not renew your tickets next year. How about rooting for him to win so you will want to keep them? I don't mind the "IF" game, but let's focus on this year.

If he loses to ASU this year, I may start to question him and my tickets. To each their own.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty wrote:
MountainCat wrote:

Jackass.
IF you're in Bahrain in the military as you've claimed, why do you have season tickets at all?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Salty

Post by Salty »

Chicat wrote:
Salty wrote:
MountainCat wrote:Let him try for a third time before you say he will go 0-4. Since you already have him losing it this year, go ahead and turn your tickets now.

Jackass.
IF you're in Bahrain in the military as you've claimed, why do you have season tickets at all?
Navy Reserves

Honestly, Chi, try to keep up.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty wrote:
Chicat wrote:IF you're in Bahrain in the military as you've claimed, why do you have season tickets at all?
Navy Reserves

Honestly, Chi, try to keep up.
Yes, it is quite difficult to keep up with all the tales you spin.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

Calling it now! We beat ASU this year! drops the Mic! exits left
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Dkenner wrote:Calling it now! We beat ASU this year! drops the Mic! exits left
Salty

Post by Salty »

Dkenner wrote:Calling it now! We beat ASU this year! drops the Mic! exits left
Nothing would make me happier.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

The pressure and lead-up to the Territorial Cup is going to be insane this year. We really blew it two years ago, that win vers the scum would've given RR some needed breathing room. Now if we take another loss this year it is going to be such a kick in the nuts, total deflation of the season probably. And many people, misguided or not, will wonder if RR can ever beat the scum and serious doubts and concern will seep in.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

2 years ago was completely on us. Scott imploded in the 4th quarter and the Cats gave the Devils that game. LAST year's game was definitely concerning. ASU completely shredded our defense. It wasn't that they overpowered us, it was that our guys were completely out of position on numerous plays. Out coached? Without question. It was like the ASU offense was just toying with us.

Games like 2 years ago happen. Fans take the loss and shake it off. Last year's lost? Now THAT is troubling. My hope is that was the exception, because if that is in anyway the norm for future games vs. the Devils, no way RR lasts long-term. I think the Cats just picked a really bad game to have a really bad game. Sort of like ASU did in their last two games last year. :P

Hey, have to find joy where you can!

Go Cats!!
jollything

Post by jollything »

Catstatic wrote:2 years ago was completely on us. Scott imploded in the 4th quarter and the Cats gave the Devils that game. LAST year's game was definitely concerning. ASU completely shredded our defense. It wasn't that they overpowered us, it was that our guys were completely out of position on numerous plays. Out coached? Without question. It was like the ASU offense was just toying with us.

Games like 2 years ago happen. Fans take the loss and shake it off. Last year's lost? Now THAT is troubling. My hope is that was the exception, because if that is in anyway the norm for future games vs. the Devils, no way RR lasts long-term. I think the Cats just picked a really bad game to have a really bad game. Sort of like ASU did in their last two games last year. :P

Hey, have to find joy where you can!

Go Cats!!
The lack of depth really hurt us that game, we were exposed. I think RR turns it around this year.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

pokinmik wrote:The pressure and lead-up to the Territorial Cup is going to be insane this year. We really blew it two years ago, that win vers the scum would've given RR some needed breathing room. Now if we take another loss this year it is going to be such a kick in the nuts, total deflation of the season probably. And many people, misguided or not, will wonder if RR can ever beat the scum and serious doubts and concern will seep in.
Scott had one of his worst games of the season and we still should have won. We win 9 times out of 10 against the scum that year and I feel confident saying that. I believe that we will shred their defense this year. There secondary is young and inexperienced other than Randall and if they have a couple of injuries they're going to be in a world of hurt. By game 12 of the season whoever is at QB should be slinging it and we should score in bunches against them.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

We should have beat the Scum at our house 2 years ago, and LY was much more of a tossup at their place. I figure they were favored, and they did deserve the win in front of their fans, though I was troubled that it was so one-sided. This year we've got a lot more questions for both teams. ASU's defense will take a step back. Will ours take a step forward? Our offense should be better, and theirs should stay the same I assume. With it being at home, I'd favor us at least a little bit knowing nothing, but I'd like to see how both teams do in their first couple games before I predict one or the other. We don't know who our QB is going to be, they don't know who their secondary is, nor who's going to replace Sutton.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

qwertyus wrote:We should have beat the Scum at our house 2 years ago, and LY was much more of a tossup at their place. I figure they were favored, and they did deserve the win in front of their fans, though I was troubled that it was so one-sided.
2012 Arizona was favored by 3 over ASU
2013 Arizona were 10 point underdogs
2014 - Can easily see Arizona could be favs and with expectation to win against ASU
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

qwertyus wrote:We should have beat the Scum at our house 2 years ago, and LY was much more of a tossup at their place. I figure they were favored, and they did deserve the win in front of their fans, though I was troubled that it was so one-sided. This year we've got a lot more questions for both teams. ASU's defense will take a step back. Will ours take a step forward? Our offense should be better, and theirs should stay the same I assume. With it being at home, I'd favor us at least a little bit knowing nothing, but I'd like to see how both teams do in their first couple games before I predict one or the other. We don't know who our QB is going to be, they don't know who their secondary is, nor who's going to replace Sutton.

I follow the entire PAC12 pretty closely, and I have to disagree with some of this sentiment. Their offense, which averaged almost 40pts a game, should actually be improved. The biggest weakness on offense for ASU was the middle of their O-line. In games against big, stout, athletic defensive lines (Stanford x2, Notre Dame, Wisconsin), the middle of the line, and center in particular, were pushed around with ease. Their O-line this year should be much more athletic and stronger (Westerman and the new center will be BIG improvements in this regard). They lose Grice, but I think Foster will be even better, though he tends to look for contact so injury is always possibility, (they recruited this position VERY well). They should be very strong at receiver too. Jaelen Strong biggest flaw last season was separation and conditioning. Who knows how he has taken to coaching in the separation aspect of his game, but I would tend to believe a full off-season in a conditioning program and he will not be as likely to disappear in the second half of games like he did last season. This is also another position they have recruited very well (three 4 star receivers in the last class I believe)

If anything, I think this game could end up being one of the highest scoring Territorial Cups in history. A few weeks ago I would have bet on ASU winning again, but they recently lost two important defensive recruits (didn't qualify) that were expected to fill big holes in Sutton and Bradford's absence (Stuckey and Caldwell). They do have a lot of young defensive talent, but I would assume they need at least a year or two at the D1 level before they put it together. Look for them to run the 3-3-5 a lot this season, as their are no clear pass rush threats on their defense.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Why does a USA Today writer need to go to Todd Graham to sum up our rivalry?
GAME(S) TO WATCH:

Arizona State: Todd Graham sums up the rivalry in a neat package: ASU could go 11-1 and lose to Arizona and have it be deemed an unsuccessful season, he told me last month; ASU could go 1-11 with a win against the Wildcats and smile all winter long, on the other hand. The Wildcats' schedule features Oregon and Washington from the North Division – the Ducks on the road, no less – and a trip to UCLA, but the Sun Devils and USC come to the friendly confines.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /13827291/
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Because CTG cares about it
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine RR cares too, but has nothing to back it up with, so has to stay mum.

CTG can talk the talk since he has earned it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Larry Smith got beat at home 44-7 his first year and it didn't stop him from talking shit about ASSU
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Talk is cheap. Beat them on the field then talk about how important it is. That would be my way of going about my business if I was RR. Just win.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Couldn't agree more but you have to emphasize the game as one of your top goals. That is what Kush and Smith did as well as Tomey. All three dominated during their tenure
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Not even sure Byrne will be here by then.

But as long as RichRod goes along with the gimmicky uniforms and white/red outs, Byrne will let him stay.

I'm not 100% on whether you're serious, but Lute participated in a red out I attended.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =207976592

It was a painful loss where Brandon Roy took over down the stretch if I remember right. White/red outs are harmless fun.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

The Old Guard doesn't like the new "gimmicks" because it's not what was done back when Smith/Tomey were here.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:Not even sure Byrne will be here by then.

I'm not 100% on whether you're serious, but Lute participated in a red out I attended.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =207976592

It was a painful loss where Brandon Roy took over down the stretch if I remember right. White/red outs are harmless fun.

Good memory SS.

Here are some images from that game, don't see Lute but the red out seems pretty successful.

MW who was eventually told by Lute not to return.

CR doing what he does best, pounding the ball into the ground

Hot Sauce taking a shot he should:

Kirk, well, what can you say.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If you see a 24 year old screaming about how we just need to cover Brandon Roy for ****king once, that might be me. I think I may have uttered more curse words at that game than any other BC we were so helpless when he turned it on down the stretch.

Another memory is not knowing it was a red out because it wasn't really publicized, showing up and thinking there were a lot of people in red, then realizing something was up when the team had red on. That was another in a long series of nut punches in the wake of Illinois.

It's helped shad my view on fan gimmicks, though. If fans like them and want to keep them, go for it. Whether we win isn't based in the stands. I like RR and Miller's willingness to embrace the fan experience. At a point where game attendance is down nationwide, a coach who is open to promotions is a big deal.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

"Everybody says, 'Beat ASU, beat ASU,' like I need to be reminded of that," Rodriguez said. "I think about it every day and our players do, too."
From article by John Marshall - AP http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... aaee79d96d "UA Football expects more wins"

RR seems to be annoyed by the reminders. A win in this year's Territorial Cup at home would solve that
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I work right in the shadow of ASSU stadium and I have many colleagues who are ASSU honks. One of them in a big booster and he was invited up to Tontozona this past weekend to view their scrimmage and hear Frank Kush speak to the team.

Ksuh spoke about goals and achieving those goals and the dediation it takes. The school made 5 foot hight cut outs of the PAC 12 trophy, the NC trophy and the Rose Bowl trophy. Then Kush said that nnone of that matters unless you win this trophy, then he pulled out the real Territorial cup and raised it over his head.

They then went out to practice and Graham was yelling at the team all day about being ready for Nov. 28th. Over and over again he yelled that date. That has to have an impact. If we lose again I will once again say it is all about the mind set.

As an aside, my colleague, who played college football did say that ASSU's defense is terrible. He said their linebackers can't cover anything and that the DLine is pinning its hope on a 6'3" 400lb middle guard named Latu. He said he is huge and pretty athletic for his size. He said the DB's are talented but everybody past the front ids really small and that they continue to make mistake after mistake in coverages. He said CTG spent all of his time with the defense and was not happy
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
"Everybody says, 'Beat ASU, beat ASU,' like I need to be reminded of that," Rodriguez said. "I think about it every day and our players do, too."
From article by John Marshall - AP http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... aaee79d96d "UA Football expects more wins"

RR seems to be annoyed by the reminders. A win in this year's Territorial Cup at home would solve that
The notion that RR doesn't understand the importance of the game or that he doesn't get it or care, as has been expressed around here, is simply absurd. At a base level every coach intends and wants to win every game, rivalry or not. The idea that he takes the in state rivalry game any less seriously is just dumb. I'd be annoyed too. On the other hand, I imagine that's the only kind of dipshit thing your average fan can think of to say to him when they meet him. It's got to be tiresome. Yeah, wow, jeez, haven't heard that before . . . thanks, next handshake.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I want Arizona Football to start focusing on playing the Scummies on November 23rd. To be focused on a late November game, no matter who the opponent is, in mid-August just seems ludicrously dumb. In fact, it smacks of knowing you're in for a down year and tabbing a regular season rivalry game as your bowl game.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

BearDown89 wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:

The notion that RR doesn't understand the importance of the game or that he doesn't get it or care, as has been expressed around here, is simply absurd. At a base level every coach intends and wants to win every game, rivalry or not. The idea that he takes the in state rivalry game any less seriously is just dumb. I'd be annoyed too. On the other hand, I imagine that's the only kind of dipshit thing your average fan can think of to say to him when they meet him. It's got to be tiresome. Yeah, wow, jeez, haven't heard that before . . . thanks, next handshake.
Stoops didn't.

Claimed the rivalry was second rate to the real rivalry that OU has in the Red River Shootout.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:The notion that RR doesn't understand the importance of the game or that he doesn't get it or care, as has been expressed around here, is simply absurd. At a base level every coach intends and wants to win every game, rivalry or not. The idea that he takes the in state rivalry game any less seriously is just dumb. I'd be annoyed too. On the other hand, I imagine that's the only kind of dipshit thing your average fan can think of to say to him when they meet him. It's got to be tiresome. Yeah, wow, jeez, haven't heard that before . . . thanks, next handshake.
Stoops didn't.

Claimed the rivalry was second rate to the real rivalry that OU has in the Red River Shootout.
He's also a mouthbreather and a drooler.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

BearDown89 wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:

Well BD89 since you replied using my post as a quote... and Just in case there's no confusion, I've said on here before that I assume RichRod and staff probably want to win the Territorial Cup MORE than most fans given their histories with CTG. Primarily because of CTG, who just happens to coach ASU. RR and staff own the risk/reward for winning/losing the ASU game. So yeah, I expect RR and staff to be more invested into the game. Performance in rivalries part of the risk/reward for a HC.

My point is RR seems defensive about the rivalry. Which is a good thing. Meaning he seems to be taking it more and more personally because of the constant reminders and any perceived added fan pressure.

Update: I'll add that approach to Territorial Cup seems quite different between CTG and RR. As azcat49 posted above, approaches to the rivalry different. Most players on roster are not from AZ. Obvious. So getting them to "emotionally own" the rivalry takes coaching if they're not aware of it. Not new. Maybe it's the approach that's an issue to some...