Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Salty

Re: Rich Rod

Post by Salty »

Zero chance RR leaves before the finish of year 5.

Very small chance he goes, even after that.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Just stop.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Alieberman wrote:RichRod has a kid who is a starting QB as a sophomore on his high school team.

I don't think he's going anywhere until possibly his kids finish high school.
potentially...unless he gets offered 5 million a year from florida in a few months and his kid can go play in a much better high school competition area in florida. arizona couldn't match that. with a potential raise for sean miller coming and dealing with the finances for the mckale renovation, it will take some more big time donations for us to be able to give rich rod a highly competitive top 10 type salary. in order for us to keep him, we will have to probably double his base pay. right now i believe it is only 1.85 million a year, which is barely in the top 50 for salary. to even be top 20, he'll have to have his base salary bumped to at least 2.8-3.0 million a year.
$5 million a year comes with ruthless, impatient fans and a microscope to live under. Florida fans will be all about defense first. That set of circumstances might sound familiar to Rodriguez and not in a warm and fuzzy way. Oh and it also comes with yet another rebuild while he gets his guys into the program over 3 years. I think he's ready to start winning and kicking ass and he's about to start doing just that here.
Salty

Post by Salty »

BearDown89 wrote:Just stop.
Speculation is speculation.

Reality is, RR wants to finish what he started, Arizona pays relatively well, he will honor a contract, and his family is happy here.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azpenguin wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Alieberman wrote:RichRod has a kid who is a starting QB as a sophomore on his high school team.

potentially...unless he gets offered 5 million a year from florida in a few months and his kid can go play in a much better high school competition area in florida. arizona couldn't match that. with a potential raise for sean miller coming and dealing with the finances for the mckale renovation, it will take some more big time donations for us to be able to give rich rod a highly competitive top 10 type salary. in order for us to keep him, we will have to probably double his base pay. right now i believe it is only 1.85 million a year, which is barely in the top 50 for salary. to even be top 20, he'll have to have his base salary bumped to at least 2.8-3.0 million a year.
$5 million a year comes with ruthless, impatient fans and a microscope to live under. Florida fans will be all about defense first. That set of circumstances might sound familiar to Rodriguez and not in a warm and fuzzy way. Oh and it also comes with yet another rebuild while he gets his guys into the program over 3 years. I think he's ready to start winning and kicking ass and he's about to start doing just that here.
$5 million is $5 million. hard to pass that up no matter the situation.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

He might get 5MM from Florida but may only last 3 years with those SEC expectations.

If we get to PAC12 championship he'll get bumped to 2.5 MM and would get enough good will to ride this out for 10 years.

25MM > 15MM
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Arizona is more similar to WVU (except in a much better conference) than to UM. Very different dynamic to take a school to unseen heights than to attempt to return a team to its glory days. Florida and some other big football school could offer more money. They'd have to, considering the immense pressure and the real possibility of a very short tenure.

What happened at UM may be all RR needs to convince him to stay in Arizona for the duration. Here's hoping!

Go Cats!!
Salty

Post by Salty »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

$5 million is $5 million. hard to pass that up no matter the situation.
Where's this $5 million figure that everyone keeps talking about...

Florida is a public university still guys.

Jimbo Fisher doesn't even make $4 million a year.

RR makes, what, 2.5 a year, depending on how well the Cats finish. Add in the 6 million retention bonus... That's 3.5 a year if he stays until 2020. And that's not including salary bumps that he will likely see here at Arizona.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

RR keeps winning, he'll get paid, no doubt in my mind. If he does the unthinkable, and gets us a rose bowl victory, then a way will be found to back the dumptruck up to his door step and let loose the flow of cash. (especially if he does that this year...cause that would mean even more, given the only way we could play in and win the rose bowl this year....)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

All this talk of Rich Rod leaving is a giant buzz kill.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

The retention bonus is projected to be worth more than 6 mil... I believe 12 mil or so by the time it pays out. We are talking 30 mil plus with raises/incentives to stay through 2020. Plus the ability to do whatever he wants as long as he keeps winning. He's not going anywhere.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azgreg wrote:All this talk of Rich Rod leaving is a giant buzz kill.
This. Just stop.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:

His daughter is a cheerleader at UofA as well.
And Casteel's son is playing for NAU. Don't think he's going to want to go all the way across
the country right now either.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ASUHATER! wrote:

potentially...unless he gets offered 5 million a year from florida in a few months and his kid can go play in a much better high school competition area in florida. arizona couldn't match that. .
I've seen his son play and I'm not sure he's D1 caliber. Might actually be harder for him to play in Florida.
He can stay here and be "Tucson good".
-JB
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

BearDown89 wrote:
This. Just stop.
Eh, it's going to be out there all year, especially after the Louisville thing. Every media outlet seems to be running stories about "is XYZ school going to go after RichRod for their coaching job?" That's something that comes with success. And while I don't ever know for sure, I think he stays.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

azpenguin wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
This. Just stop.
Eh, it's going to be out there all year, especially after the Louisville thing. Every media outlet seems to be running stories about "is XYZ school going to go after RichRod for their coaching job?" That's something that comes with success. And while I don't ever know for sure, I think he stays.

I think he genuinely likes it in Tucson. Hell, who doesnt once they move there. He's built some pretty good ties, is not under the crazy ass pressure he'd get if he took a better $$ offer elsewhere, has one of the best ADs in the country, and he knows his program has tremendous upside. Besides, that retention bonus is a real tie down. I know I haven't said anything new here that hasn't already been stated, but it just seems right. Sorta like knowing Tomey wasn't going anywhere. Even after he got us into the top-5
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

You guys are ridiculous & hate to be the realist here with the Florida talk. There will be numerous names ahead of Rodriguez. Hugh Freeze, Dan Mullen, Brent Venables, Art Briles, Chad Morris, Bronco Mendenhall, maybe some NFL assistants as well etc. They're just better fits down there in the south.

This is like ASU fans worrying about losing Graham to Texas (or another big school) its redonkulous.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Wtf makes bronco mendenhall higher? If Arizona wins 10+ games rr will absolutely be at the top of that list.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

ASUHATER! wrote:Wtf makes bronco mendenhall higher? If Arizona wins 10+ games rr will absolutely be at the top of that list.
No he won't. Mullens from Miss State will be at the top of the list and he will get the gig. He was hired from Florida and it will be his gig to turn it down. I'll go out on a limb and say there's no chance he turns it down.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAtrue wrote: I think he genuinely likes it in Tucson. Hell, who doesnt once they move there. He's built some pretty good ties, is not under the crazy ass pressure he'd get if he took a better $$ offer elsewhere, has one of the best ADs in the country, and he knows his program has tremendous upside. Besides, that retention bonus is a real tie down. I know I haven't said anything new here that hasn't already been stated, but it just seems right. Sorta like knowing Tomey wasn't going anywhere. Even after he got us into the top-5
This is actually a good point. Who was the last UA football coach who voluntarily left the UA and Tucson?

A: Larry Smith, and he eventually moved back to Tucson
illcat

Post by illcat »

The daughter attends U of A
His wife likes Tucson likes the house and tells RR we are not moving. :|

Besides RR doesn't strike me as the type of guy that only follows the $. He's starting to produce a winner at Arizona he'll stick
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

NYCat wrote:You guys are ridiculous & hate to be the realist here with the Florida talk. There will be numerous names ahead of Rodriguez. Hugh Freeze, Dan Mullen, Brent Venables, Art Briles, Chad Morris, Bronco Mendenhall, maybe some NFL assistants as well etc. They're just better fits down there in the south.

This is like ASU fans worrying about losing Graham to Texas (or another big school) its redonkulous.
Except RR has already been at Michigan and offered by Alabama.

Brent Venables over RichRod if he has a huge season?? That is laughable.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

illcat wrote:

Besides RR doesn't strike me as the type of guy that only follows the $. He's starting to produce a winner at Arizona he'll stick
Isn't his daughter dating one of the UA football players?

That player has balls bigger than mine.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
illcat wrote:

She was dating Kaelin Deboskie (freshman WR/DB from Salpointe who is redshirting) in high school, not sure if they are still together.
-JB
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Merkin wrote:
illcat wrote:

Deboskie, supposedly, and yeah, that takes some cojones.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm reading Three & Out, and if even half the stuff in that book is true, I don't see RichRod being all that gung ho to take on another job. It seems as though as long as he has the support of the AD, players, boosters, media, and fans (and what coach doesn't want that?), he'll be pretty happy where he is. Heck, if it wasn't for the WVU AD not paying his assistants more, he might still be there today.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
illcat

Post by illcat »

Chicat wrote:I'm reading Three & Out, and if even half the stuff in that book is true, I don't see RichRod being all that gung ho to take on another job. It seems as though as long as he has the support of the AD, players, boosters, media, and fans (and what coach doesn't want that?), he'll be pretty happy where he is. Heck, if it wasn't for the WVU AD not paying his assistants more, he might still be there today.
I heard that GB wanted to adopt RR, the fans like him except for the two die hard stoops fans, the local media like him. So for the few that get their rocks off stirring the pot give it a rest. RR is going to stick.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
Salty

Post by Salty »

Some other things to consider...

If RR left, Byrne would probably tag Casteel or Magee for HC. Leaving his assistants torn.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Salty wrote:Some other things to consider...

If RR left, Byrne would probably tag Casteel or Magee for HC. Leaving his assistants torn.
One thing I learned with Stoops and Mackovic is you only want to coaches who already have head coaching experience at smaller schools and have never been fired as such.

Casteel and Magee are not in the picture.

RR was fired, but not in the usual sense like Mackovic was 4 times.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Merkin wrote:
Salty wrote:Some other things to consider...

One thing I learned with Stoops and Mackovic is you only want to coaches who already have head coaching experience at smaller schools and have never been fired as such.

Casteel and Magee are not in the picture.

RR was fired, but not in the usual sense like Mackovic was 4 times.
Chip Kelly?
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Guys, here's the deal. It doesn't matter that the subject of Rich Rod leaving makes many fans uncomfortable. At some point in the future you might as well prepare yourself for being very uncomfortable.

RR getting offered another job at another big school is as sure a future event as the sun coming up everyday. We're all adults here and everyone knows the drill. In every profession where success has been proven means that more, bigger and better opportunities will always present themselves. Bigger, better and more are subjective but you understand my point.

It does not matter that we don't want RR to leave, if he has the success that we all expect, and I'm sure he will, he is going to be offered another job and for big money. PERIOD!

I did not say he would leave, or he wants to leave, but he will be offered another bigtime job somewhere at some point in the future.

Expect to be uncomfortable because every coach will listen and contemplate a nice offer. Thats just the way this game works!
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

I think RR has made it abundantly clear that he is not going anywhere. Sure, I would not expect him to say anything less at this point, to do so would be foolish but he makes no bones about the fact that he is very happy here, loves the weather, the school, the fans and his boss and as a bonus his family also loves it here. He believes he can compete for a national title here in good time (maybe sooner rather than later from the looks of it). He has no pressure or bullshit past glory expectations to worry about. He is not on a leash, Byrne lets him run the program they way he feels he needs to in order to take the team to the next level.

He learned from that mistake at Michigan and any of the big schools with long and storied traditions where expectations are exorbitantly high and where anything short of a national title every year is considered a failure, is going to be Michigan all over again. RR is not a dummy, he knows what he has here and what he has here is a very rare thing an almost perfect situation for a guy like him.

I have zero concerns about RR leaving Arizona and thus I am going to enjoy this and not worry myself about such things.

BEAR DOWN.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

^ Great post.

I would add that RR has all of his trusted staff here, something he couldn't do at UM and something that he may not be able to replicate again. Having that group together again means a lot to RR.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Going to be on College Game day at some point today.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

I don't think the question is whether or not RR will be approached by other schools. The question is will he accept? No way of knowing, but it's the kind of thing fans discuss on boards like this. I am confident that RR will listen to other schools and politely decline. Why not Arizona!

Go Cats!!
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

wyo-cat wrote:^ Great post.

I would add that RR has all of his trusted staff here, something he couldn't do at UM and something that he may not be able to replicate again. Having that group together again means a lot to RR.
Very good point. That is very important to him and one of the things that was lacking at UM and which served as a catalyst for the whole shit show that followed.

And really, if you have the kind of competitive streak RR obviously has, I think it is more appealing to take a program like Arizona and surprise everyone by building them in to a national power rather than go to Florida and win at a place were everyone expects you to. Florida sounds like a yawner compared to the fun taking Arizona to a national title would be.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

ButtonSalmon wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:^ Great post.

Very good point. That is very important to him and one of the things that was lacking at UM and which served as a catalyst for the whole shit show that followed.

And really, if you have the kind of competitive streak RR obviously has, I think it is more appealing to take a program like Arizona and surprise everyone by building them in to a national power rather than go to Florida and win at a place were everyone expects you to. Florida sounds like a yawner compared to the fun taking Arizona to a national title would be.
Completely agree with this post. And it seems that RR is having fun at Arizona. You can see he enjoys this team, even with his demeanor on the sidelines during games.

Go Cats!!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I guess I can't entirely fault them.

WV Fan(s) create website and Twitter handle for Rich Rod return to WVU. Maybe Arizona has a good coach...

Looks like both created this week.

https://twitter.com/RichRodsReturn

http://www.richrodsreturn.org/
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

They can't have him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

One look at that web page design and he'll be scared the hell away. I've seen better stuff on Geocities.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:I guess I can't entirely fault them.

WV Fan(s) create website and Twitter handle for Rich Rod return to WVU. Maybe Arizona has a good coach...

Looks like both created this week.

https://twitter.com/RichRodsReturn

http://www.richrodsreturn.org/
So the WV fan doing the same thing like Florida doing. Current Coach aren't having the success as the one that got them to success.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Macho Grande wrote:
Hugh Freeze is not leaving Ole Miss.
Chip Kelly is not leaving NFL unless he miss the postseason.
RR is not leaving Arizona. I don't care what People say. He not leaving because of money.

http://fansided.com/2014/10/23/rich-rod ... p-florida/
http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... ears-begin
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

In Berks column today he mentions some slap saying that RR "would have to upgrade his staff" if he were going to take the Florida job. The guy didn't come out and say it but you know he was saying that RR would have to get a new defensive staff. That's not going to happen. There's no chance that he kicks Casteel and staff to the curb for the Florida job.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Can someone provide a school that have had back to back really excessive coaches?

Chip Kelly is not going to Florida, unless you pay him very silly money.
Why would Hugh Freeze leave Ole Miss at this point? especially for Florida.
Rich Rod could go, but it could be Michigan all over again, and I don't think he hates Arizona that much to go through that again.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dc4azcats wrote:In Berks column today he mentions some slap saying that RR "would have to upgrade his staff" if he were going to take the Florida job. The guy didn't come out and say it but you know he was saying that RR would have to get a new defensive staff. That's not going to happen. There's no chance that he kicks Casteel and staff to the curb for the Florida job.
So the 3-3-5 keeps RR here! Start up an "Official Keep the 3-3-5 Thread" :D
-JB
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

OSUCat wrote:Can someone provide a school that have had back to back really excessive coaches?

Chip Kelly is not going to Florida, unless you pay him very silly money.
Why would Hugh Freeze leave Ole Miss at this point? especially for Florida.
Rich Rod could go, but it could be Michigan all over again, and I don't think he hates Arizona that much to go through that again.
SEC is whole different ball game. RR will not survive. It a letdown. Florida is not getting RR. It all but speculation at this point.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

dc4azcats wrote:In Berks column today he mentions some slap saying that RR "would have to upgrade his staff" if he were going to take the Florida job. The guy didn't come out and say it but you know he was saying that RR would have to get a new defensive staff. That's not going to happen. There's no chance that he kicks Casteel and staff to the curb for the Florida job.
Yeah, I saw that - that guy has no idea how much RichRod wants the staff he has, knows, and is comfortable working with. One of the things he has going at Arizona is that the department isn't jerking him around with staff like other schools can do. Remember that Michigan would only pay Casteel $10K LESS than he was making at West Virginia and no multi-year contract. Then after they fire RR they turn around and pay $750,000 for a D-coordinator for Hoke.

Nothing's ever certain in the world, but I don't think he's going anywhere for a while.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Does the SEC fit RR system?
Does RR fit SEC style?

One thing I hate when media want to speculate is that, Arizona doesn't have Resources like Money, Recruiting Base, Prestige or Deep Tradition.

My dad said that if RR were to take the Florida Job, It would of been a mistake like Michigan. If he u couldn't win in Big Ten ,What will that say about winning in the SEC. Sure it Better to recruit because all of the best player are from East. Is Florida going to have that patient mentality of RR getting his player in place take 4 year to get them in.

PAC 12 is the better fit for him. Why leave it.